• Published 14th Feb 2015
  • 10,336 Views, 1,829 Comments

Empire and Rebellion - Snake Staff



As the Galactic Empire extends its reach across the galaxy, the ponies must choose their side.

  • ...
38
 1,829
 10,336

PreviousChapters Next
58: Farewell

The door to Palpatine’s audience chamber reopened only a few minutes afterwards, and a pair of alicorns. The armored sister carried herself with what she imagined to be a dignified yet deferential air – as if he couldn’t sense her petty and ill-concealed hatred. But let her hate, so long as she feared. As to the other one… the state of her soul reminded Sidious of the broken woman he’d spoken with after the razing of her homeworld.

Excellent.

“Ah, you’ve returned,” he said in Palpatine’s kindly old man voice. “I do hope that everything went well.”

Both siblings knelt in that awkward fashion that quadrupeds did, and Sidious felt the dark one’s resentment spike. That was amusing.

“It did indeed, your majesty,” Luna said to him. “My sister and I had a very productive discussion, and came to the only reasonable conclusion.”

“I am glad to hear it. Discord between siblings is always a little saddening. And of course you may rise.”

“Yes, majesty,” said Luna as both did. “Celestia and I talked it over, and we had decided that it was best if I remained in the service of the Empire. Our world does not need my services so greatly as the larger galaxy, and I fully trust my fellows back on Equus to manage our rebuilding.”

“Are you certain?” he feigned surprise. “If this is about potential repercussions from Lord Vader or his allies, I give you my personal assurances that no harm will come to you or your system as a result of your decision today. I am, after all, a man of my word.”

“I am sure, your majesty,” she replied almost immediately. “I’ve seen what happens when the galaxy is left in the disorder of the late Republic. I know I must do my part to prevent that from ever happening again. Perhaps in a few decades, when things have more completely stabilized and the dangers of war are far behind us I shall seek to return home, but not before then.”

“As I said before: your patriotism is truly an example to us all.” Sidious nodded slightly at her. “Very well, if you are absolutely sure that you wish to remain in service to the Galactic Empire, I cannot in good conscience turn you away. Not when there is so much still to be done.”

“My thanks,” she bowed her head once again.

“And Governor,” Sidious turned his head towards the hollow-eyed sister, “I must thank you most sincerely for all your assistance, and your willingness to part with your own blood for the sake of all beings. I do apologize if you were surprised or felt in any way let down by what occurred today.”

“Think…” she said in a low voice. “Think nothing of it.”

He didn’t even need to see her thoughts to know how empty that was.

“I thank you both, again, for your services. I regret only that I don’t see more dedicated citizens like yourselves. However much as I hate to be brief, I do have many other matters to attend to.” Sidious sat back in his chair, nodding to his Royal Guards. “See to it that the Governor and Inquisitor are seen safely off. Return the Governor to her quarters and the Inquisitor to her ship.”

As the two alicorns were escorted out the door by two guards, Sidious swiveled his chair back around to face the window. When the doors closed behind them, the Sith Lord allowed himself a short peal of soft laughter.


Luna strode purposefully down the palace hallway, Royal Guard in tow. She was eager to be away from this place, to return to Vader and continue her training. She had no idea what Sidious was playing at with apparently calling her here simply to crush her sister’s spirit, but the further she was from him the better she’d feel.

Behind her, at a far more sedate pace, walked Celestia. Her sister’s gaze was downcast, her eyes strangely empty. Her aura in the Force was at a similarly low ebb, radiating melancholy. Had she really been such a fool as to pin any hopes on the word of Palpatine? Even if she had no idea the man was a Sith, surely only a naïve idiot would place any trust in the man who led the system that enslaved their nation. And to be so psychically crushed by the mere news that her sister would not go back to a wretched life of powerlessness? Luna felt her lips curling.

The two of them soon reached an intersection, and the guard with Luna indicated that they should proceed to the left. The one with Celestia indicated right. The dark alicorn followed the direction without question or hesitation.

“Luna!” she heard Celestia calling out after her. “I… goodbye…” Her voice seemed to die in her throat.

“Go home, sister.” Luna did not spare so much as a glance backwards. “You’ve done enough.”

As the two sisters parted ways once more, she could hear the soft sounds of sobbing from behind her. Luna felt, for the briefest of instants, an odd and painful constriction in her chest. A feeling that she couldn’t quite identify took shape in the back of her mind, but she knew that she didn’t like it. A moment later, she gritted her teeth and forced her memories of Celestia willingly aiding the most evil being in the galaxy search for immortality to the forefront. Her anger surged, drowning the unwelcome sensation in a torrent of familiar dark side power.

Shaking her head to rid herself of the last of such distractions, Luna pressed on without a another thought of it.


Minutes later, Luna was walking briskly towards her craft, eager to be away from this place. There were dozens of shuttles and small ships parked in rows on palace’s vast landing platform, and a number of dignitaries from far more worlds than she had ever heard of, though a clear majority were human. Her teeth bared in a snarl as she recognized one of them.

There, walking down the ramp of a shuttle with what she supposed to be the human idea of a pretty young woman on his arm, was a man she could hardly fail to recognize. Once an Admiral, now a Moff, Wilhuff Tarkin positively exuded confidence. And why shouldn’t he? After threatening a helpless species with genocide for failing to comply with his demands quickly enough, he’d been rewarded with a promotion and oversight of some “special project” she had heard nothing about. But from the way his mind felt, it was going well.

It was only when the man’s eyes wandered her way that Luna realized she had stopped, and was staring. The human halted himself and raised an eyebrow, brushing off his paramour with the flick of a wrist. Despite the armor, it only took him a moment to blink in recognition, then smirk.

“I’m pleased to see you’ve made the wise choice,” he said, eyes flicking pointedly to the Imperial symbol on her pauldron.

“I’m… pleased to see that you are doing well for yourself,” she forced through gritted teeth.

“Oh yes, quite well.” Tarkin brushed an imaginary bit of dirt from his sleeve. “And here to deliver a report to his majesty in person.” He eyed the still-silent Royal Guard behind Luna. “As I see were you.”

“We must not keep the Emperor waiting.”

“No. We mustn’t.” The Moff folded his hands behind his back and began to walk on. “Oh,” he paused, “and give my regards to your home planet.”

It was all Luna could do not to throw her lightsaber at him on the spot.


Many hours later, in the familiar if not homey confines of her appointed apartment, Celestia finally let the last façade of control die. Tears trickled down her face for but a few moments before becoming a flood. The white alicorn buried her head in a pillow, and allowed herself to weep. Her soft sobs muted by the soft shimmersilk, she simply surrendered control and allowed her emotions to pour free?

What had Vader done to her sister? What kind of cruelties and deprivations could drive Lulu back into his arms willingly after only a few mere months? How could he have twisted her so quickly, that she would attack her own sister so easily? Or… even worse, what had she done to her sister? Luna had accused her of being selfish and neglectful? Had she been? Had it been Celestia’s own failures that had opened up an old fault line between them?

Was this all her fault?

The solar princess lost track of time, drowning in a sea of guilt, fear, and worry for her poor sister. Just imagining the kind of thing Luna must be going through was enough, even the possibility that it might be her doing only made it worse. Minutes became hours as the sun set in the window, but she took scare notice.

It wasn’t until, many hours later, the princess heard a very gentle cough that she finally bothered to look up. It was Stormy Skies, one of the two pony honor guards that had accompanied her to Coruscant and stayed here these months, one of her few links to home. Celestia brushed a tear aside with her wing.

“Yes?” she sniffed. “What is it?”

“A thousand pardons, your highness, but…” he hesitated. “We’ve received a gift for you. It’s from the Emperor.”

PreviousChapters Next