• Published 14th Feb 2015
  • 10,350 Views, 1,829 Comments

Empire and Rebellion - Snake Staff



As the Galactic Empire extends its reach across the galaxy, the ponies must choose their side.

  • ...
38
 1,829
 10,350

PreviousChapters Next
44: Twist Of Fate

Major Josef Celebraine of the Imperial Security Bureau sat as calmly as could reasonably be expected in the cockpit of the Silver Sky, considering the faint but incessant voices in his head. Beside him, in the copilot’s seat, was Sargent Crest. The ship’s engines were warm, and its handful of defensive cannons armed and ready for any sign of trouble. At his own insistence, the two officers were alone on the ship, under the theory that they would be best equipped to avoid being driven insane by the constant infernal whispering no other noise could quite drown out. The other Stormtroopers of the Inquisitor’s squad had taken up defensive positions across the hanger bay, as far from the hateful treasures as practically possible.

If this were a mission under a sane officer, Celebraine reflected, they would have been ordered to take off as soon as they had deposited the Lady Inquisitor, denying this Maul any chance of successfully completing his theft. Of course, under a sane officer they would have infiltrated sniper teams around this refuse heap and had shuttles of troops on standby to lock down the entire area the moment Maul’s presence was confirmed. Sane officers also wouldn’t lead troops trained to engage a Jedi at maximum possible range into a chase through dark, narrow hallways against a viciously effective close quarters fighter. Far more sensible to call in backup to surround the area and pick it apart piece by piece.

“Kill her… rend her flesh… avenge her crimes in blood…”

The plain-faced man scowled, closed his eyes, and rubbed his temples as the voices bubbled up again.

“Can help you… make you strong…”

“No thank you,” he muttered.

“Sir?” Crest’s helmeted head swung to look at him. “Something wrong?”

“Just the effects of these wretched things,” he answered, lowering one hand and opening his eyes.

“They’re Lord Vader’s,” the clone said. “He’ll use ‘em right.”

“Will he?”

“He may not be social, and he may not be kind, but the man is brave and loyal.” Crest nodded. “He’s also a damned good commander and never hesitates to get stuck in the muck with his men. He’s led the 501st better than any other officer the Empire has to offer, and if anyone has what it takes to use these things for good, it’s him.”

“I see.” Celebraine pitied the clone for a moment. “Well, you have more experience with the man than I, so I’ll defer to your judgement.”

“Very good sir.”

The Major’s eyes fell on one of the ship’s scanners.

“What of the Inquisitor?” he asked, just a moment later. “How would you describe her style of leadership?”

“Well sir… I haven’t really worked with her for very long so I don’t think I’m qualified to make that judgement call.”

“Really? You’ve not formed any opinions or first impressions?”

“We were created to fight and to obey, sir.” Crest said as though it were self-evident. “Not to waste time on forming opinions.”

“So I see.” Celebraine gave a little sigh. “There’s the pity.”

“Sir?”

In one smooth, practiced movement, the Major whipped out his blaster pistol and put a bolt through the side of the Sargent’s head.

Without hesitation, he followed up by tapping a rapid sequence into the ship’s controls, grabbed the primary throttle, and pressed down on the two buttons on top of it. The Stormtroopers outside had barely had a chance to hear the sound of gunfire and turn their heads before the ship’s weapons blazed into life. Caught wildly out of position, totally surprised, and with no heavy weaponry, to call what followed anything but a massacre would have been a grotesque mockery. Celebraine watched them die with an impassive expression.

When it was over mere seconds later, the Major took a moment to take a deep breath and wipe the sweat he hadn’t quite been aware of from his brow. Well-honed efficiency took over again a moment later, and he wasted no more time in pulling out his private commlink.

“Fortune favors us this evening,” he said. “The Inquisitor is indisposed and the Imperials in the hangar are eliminated. Abort planned approach vector, proceed directly to docking bay. Opportunity is time sensitive in the extreme. Fulcrum out.”


It didn’t take them long, not more than a minute or two really, but to the Major’s eyes it was still too long. The meticulously-plotted alternative paths of approach he had gone over with them went to waste, the specialty anti-Jedi weapons and gear he’d arranged to be misplaced were of no use, and even the small cell of fellows he’d been trying to maneuver onto this mission had been left behind by the Inquisitor’s haste and unpredictability. Things might easily have gone so wrong. They still might.

Still… Celebraine wasn’t one for superstitions, but it certainly seemed like something had been watching over them tonight. Maul had drawn the Inquisitor’s attentions away, and she had taken his Jedi-killers – the very ones he’d intended to turn against her if necessary – with her on a merry chase into the dark. With her out of the picture, for however long that might be, this would be easy. He might even get out of this with his cover intact. Perhaps if he was very fortunate, the two lightsaber-wielding lunatics would kill each other and he could make the entire report himself.

As it was, when the two agents and old man they’d foolishly agreed to host finally did arrive, the Major was still seated in the cockpit, sweating hands clenched tightly about the throttle, prepared to take off or open up with all guns the moment either Force user showed their face. To their credit, the two actual recruits only paused for a moment when they saw a man in an ISB uniform sitting in plain view. To their detriment, the old paranoid halted altogether, leveled his new sonic pistol, and began shouting something. The other two moved to restrain him before he could do something profoundly stupid. Celebraine rolled his eyes. He’d warned them that this fool was a serious liability, but Dawn had refused to listen.

“We don’t have time for this!” he barked into his commlink. “The Maul or the Inquisitor could be back at any second. If he’s too much a fool to notice I haven’t opened up on you with all guns then leave him!”

“I don’t leave people behind!” Dawn’s voice replied.

It couldn’t have taken more than thirty seconds for them to get Kersh moving again, but in Celebraine’s view that was thirty seconds too long. He tapped a button when they came near, and the boarding ramp descended. Dawn raced up it, followed by Janus, then the old man. He swallowed, said an uncharacteristic prayer to whomever might feel like listening, and got up to go meet them in person.

“Did you do it?!” Kersh roared the moment he came fully into view. “Did you kill Yorrick?”

“I had nothing to do with your friend’s death,” Celebraine lied with an impassive face, then followed up with a truth. “And I am the reason that you have not suffered a considerably worse fate.

That seemed to mollify the man, at least for the moment. The accusatory finger dropped, and was replaced by a vague muttering. It was Janus who spoke up next.

“So,.. an ISB man, huh? Never would have thought…”

“I joined Republic Intelligence during the Clone Wars in order to protect the galaxy from cruelty and barbarism,” he answered. “Not to enforce it.”

“See?” Dawn interjected. “I told you everyone has some good in them.”

“Yeah, maybe you should tell Darth Vader that before-”

“As fascinating as this all is,” Celebraine cut them off. “May I remind you that we still have a mission to complete, for which I have now risked not just my cover but my life? I have no idea how long those two simpletons with red swords will keep one another occupied.”

That quieted them down a bit.

“Now,” he said, “if you kindly gather the high explosives and follow me.”

Without another word the Major turned and led the intrepid if ragtag trio down the freighter’s main hallway, to the rearmost cargo bay. Every step he took made the voices worse, but he didn’t let it show. The moment he pushed the button to open the door, a wave of ancient malevolence washed over the little group. Celebraine grimaced, Kersh froze, Janus stared, and Dawn…

Dawn took one look at the lot of them, double over, ripped off her helmet, and voided her stomach onto the deck.

“Yes, well…” Celebraine looked down at the woman’s pale, visibly shaken face. “The two of you, kindly take your friend’s charges and set them. I’ll see to her briefly.” No one said or did anything for just a second, still spellbound. “Move!”

The shout of his shout seemed to stir their minds to action. Dawn shakily handed her pack to Janus, leaning heavily on the wall for support. The man, to his credit, seemed to be handling the effects at least somewhat better, and dragged the older man with him into the cursed cargo bay. Celebraine noted that Kersh was now holding very tightly to a small bag strapped to his hip.

“Come now,” he said to Dawn, offering a shoulder. “Let’s get you some distance.”

She accepted the offer, leaning the whole of her comparatively light physique against him. Together, they began walking slowly back in the direction of the cockpit, the stricken woman still shaky and cold.

“I… I’m s-sorry,” she managed as they limped along. “It’s j-just… there was so much…”

“Evil?”

“Evil in there…” Dawn shuddered. “I should h-have been better prepared… it’s just… I…”

“Not to worry,” Celebraine reassured her, “such effects are quite normal.” He leaned in close and whispered into her ear. “For a Force-sensitive.”

He hadn’t thought it was possible for the woman’s face to be drained of any more color, but apparently he’d been wrong. Her wide eyes darted this way and that, as if wondering if she should make a break for it right then and there.

“Not to worry, your secret is safe with me. I’m quite good at keeping them, you know.” He smiled wryly. “I have no idea where you came from or how the Jedi missed you, but if I were you I might consider learning to control that better.”

Her brow furrowed and her cheeks flushed angrily, but she said nothing further as they made their way down the exit ramp. Color slowly returned to her face the further they got from the corrosive Sith whispers, until when they set foot on the landing pad itself she shook him off altogether. Dawn brushed herself off, still breathing a bit heavily. Her commlink chimed.

“Explosives wired and ready to go,” came the sound of Janus’ voice. “Everyone alright out there?”

“Fine,” she answered. “Get yourselves out of there quickly and let’s blow this place.”

“Then I suppose it’s time for me to see if my cover is salvageable.” Celebraine nodded. “If you wouldn’t mind providing a bit of background with that sonic blaster of yours I’d be most grateful.”

She nodded, drawing the bulky pistol. When Janus and Kersh ran down the exit ramp, looking considerably paler from what he could see, she gestured at them to do the same. On Celebraine’s cue, they began to fire randomly backwards as they all made quickly for the exit. The Major drew his own blaster, and his commlink.

“What is it?” came the Inquisitor’s distinctly smug voice a moment. “What’s that sound?”

“My lady!” Celebraine fired his own blaster several times at a random crate as he ran. “We’re under attack!” He fired another shot. “They have heavy weapons – gah!”

“What?! Who?! How many?!”

“Too many!” Celebraine barked over the sound of yet more fire, even as they crossed the threshold. “We can’t hold them! Falling back to signal for reinforcements!”

“Don’t you DARE!” the device roared.

“We’ll lock down the skies!” he took another shot. “They won’t get away!”

“If you abandon that cargo I’ll kill you myself! Don’t you dare to even think about-”

Celebraine nodded. Dawn hit her detonator. The hangar erupted into a cataclysmic fireball.


“Don’t you dare to even think about-”

Luna screamed as she and Maul felt a sudden, massive surge in the Force. The building shook with the force of explosion, dust raining down both of their heads. But that was nothing compared to the pulse of energy that washed over the metaphysical plane. The voices of ancient evil cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

After a moment, the pressure in her head faded away, and the alicorn looked up. One look at the grimace on Maul’s face told her that he had felt it as well. Two pairs of yellow eyes stared at one another in silence for just a moment.

“Quickly!” Luna hissed. “Before the Imperials arrive! Go to the hanger and see if anything can be salvaged.”

“And you?” he asked.

Luna’s lightsaber flared to life.

“I’m going to deal with these interlopers.”

PreviousChapters Next