• Published 13th Feb 2015
  • 8,327 Views, 156 Comments

My Little Pony: Days of Future Past - Charles Xavier



Twilight Sparkle travels back in time to another world in hopes to stop a horrible disaster that will end life in Equestria. G1/FiM crossover.

  • ...
9
 156
 8,327

Epilogue

Epilogue

A ringing alarm clock shook up Twilight out of bed. Moaning in fatigue, she reached a hoof out to silence the clattery mechanism. She rolled around, trying to return to her peaceful sleep. But then she heard the morning birds chirping from outside her window.

Twilight slightly lifted her eyes, and saw the rays of the sun shining down into her bedroom. It was a clear summer’s day… and a glorious one indeed. All was quiet; the typical busy and bustling noises from ponies outside were peculiarly absent. She couldn’t recall the last morning she ever found it this tranquil.

Rising from her bed, Twilight rubbed her aching head. The first thing she noticed odd was that her arms appeared purple. Disconcerted, she rushed to inspect her own reflection in the mirror and discovered that not only her arms, but her entire her skin was now purple. She bore wings again, and her mane and tail were violet with pink and purple streaks. She had the cutie mark of a dark pink star with five smaller white ones surrounding it. She was no longer Twilight, but Twilight Sparkle again.

The feeling overwhelmed her. She was in Golden Oak Library, back in her own world, back in Equestria. Yet she wasn’t entirely sure if time had changed anything. Granted, her home was still standing, but had the horrible invasion of the Sentinels truly been thwarted?

Her pet owl, Owlowiscious, was nowhere to be found, which was strange. Twilight rushed out of her bedroom and into the living room, hoping to find him or somebody else there. Yet there was no one. She called out a name:

“SPIKE?!”

No answer. There was no other pony present except herself. The chill of deathly silence only unnerved Twilight.

Twilight burst outside and ran to the town center of Ponyville. She discovered the town completely devoid of life. The silence again swept over her with an eerie sensation.

“Hello?!” Twilight’s voice echoed amongst the empty houses and streets. “HELLO…?! IS THERE ANYBODY HERE…?!”

Nobody. Twilight was mystified. Having prevented the tragedy that befell Ponyland, stopping Draggle from killing her mother and deactivating the Sentinels permanently, she should have ended the crisis for good. Yet how did her actions lead to this seemingly cryptic outcome?

She hadn’t a clue of what to make of this, whether to rejoice or feel guilty for what she had done. Was the world now a safer place or a more threatening one, waiting to be disintegrated in a matter of time? Time itself still seemed to be Twilight’s worst enemy… she was not going to let it beat her.

She took flight, making her way to Canterlot.

Canterlot was the same as Ponyville; completed deserted. There were no royal guards patrolling the grounds, there was no Shining Armor, and no other ponies roaming the area. What could have happened?

Twilight wondered whether the place had been evacuated, but nothing out of the ordinary indicated anything of such. Everything was neatly in place and she sensed no signs of panic anywhere. Just where had everyone gone?

“PRINCESS CELESTIA…?!” Twilight called out, receiving no answer. “PRINCESS LUNA…?! PRINCESS CADANCE…?! APPLEJACK…?! RARITY…?! FLUTTERSHY…?! PINKIE PIE…?! RAINBOW DASH…?!”

She searched hectically for her friends but found none of them. Something had happened to them for sure, she knew. But what exactly was beyond her knowledge. Might it have been that another disaster had occurred when she changed the course of history… an even worse one?

Twilight wasn’t willing to wait. She rushed into the castle without haste.

“HELLO?! IS THERE ANYONE…!”

When Twilight burst through the doors into the main hall, she was hailed with the grandest of celebrations, surrounded by ponies in the hundreds.

“SURPRISE!”

They clamored joyously. Balloons were dropped, confetti rained down, thunderous applause was heard and the happiest cheers from all of Twilight’s dearest friends deafened her ears. A sign above her head, hung by Fluttershy and Owlowiscious, clearly read:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TWILIGHT!

In the center of the hall sat a massive multi-tiered double dark chocolate fudge cake, lit gloriously with candles, baked and presented by Rarity and Spike. It was well secured by Shining Armor, a circle of royal guards and the Alicorn princesses; Cadance, Luna and Celestia. The three smiled graciously and greeted Twilight with a heartwarming welcome.

Twilight leapt in fright when Pinkie Pie snuck up behind her and blew her party horn into her ear, shouting out: “HAPPY BIRTHDAY! ” she danced, showering her with more confetti.

Applejack was seen busy in the corner with her whole Apple family, preparing homemade apple soda drinks and helping her siblings distribute them for the party guests. The Pegasus pony, Rainbow Dash, zoomed past above her head and went for the birthday cake, encircling and ascending it as she made the finishing touch with whipped cream topping.

Twilight thought she was dreaming. She rubbed her eyes, afraid that this was a hallucination. Yet nothing changed. There she was, beholding the biggest birthday cake she had ever seen with the most festive crowd. Still, however, one thing still concerned her greatly.

In a fit of panic, Twilight flew madly across the hall. Peering through every window, every door, inspecting the chandelier and searching every nook and cranny, she found nothing hostile. Nevertheless, she had to ensure that her mission was accomplished.

“WHERE ARE THE SENTINELS?!” she asked restlessly. Her audience dropped speechless, bewildered by her nonsensical question and abrupt behavior. “WHERE ARE THEY?! ARE THEY HERE YET?! HAS THE INVASION STARTED?! HAVE THEY INITIATED ATTACK?!”

Her friends only glanced at each other dazed. Twilight approached Rarity and Spike with the Alicorns.

“Princess Celestia, I’ve returned!” she announced. “I stopped Tirek, I stopped the Sentinels from destroying the World Beyond! Is everyone all right here, is everything safe?!”

Twilight was only met with frowns. No one had a clue of what she was talking about. Even Rainbow Dash was baffled when she slowly descended down upon her disturbed companion.

“Sentinels…?” asked Spike. “What’s a Sentinel?”

“You guys… don’t know…?” said Twilight.

“Don’t know about what?” wondered Rarity.

“The war! The Sentinels… they nearly wiped out all of Equestria! It was terrible! They coldheartedly murdered millions, demolished our homes, bent to exterminate all life! The Alicorns… Tirek… we worked together to help change the past in order to evade our cataclysmic fate…!”

Again, nothing but frowns and shocked expressions. Nobody could comprehend a word Twilight was saying. The more she spoke, the more uncomfortable she was making everyone.

However, the awkwardness was then broken when…

“PFFFT! HEE-HEE-HEE-HEE-HEEEE!” Pinkie Pie erupted in giggles, leaning against the wall in sheer pain. “That’s a good one, Twilight! That’s the best joke you’ve come up with in a long while!”

It didn’t take long for the other ponies to follow and soon the hall burst into absolute hilarity. To many it was by far the biggest surprise that Twilight had given in return. They regarded her tall tale highly amusing. Twilight, once worried to the bone, slowly subsided…

There was no uncertainty about it. Everyone surrounding her had no memory of events before time and history were altered. To them, there was no such thing as the Sentinels, for they never stepped into Equestria. She had indeed saved the lives of millions, and she alone was the only one who knew it.

“We did it…” Twilight smiled, shedding tears, weeping in utter jubilation. “… we did it! WE ACTUALLY DID IT!” she burst out rejoicing.

Without warning, she grabbed Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash and took flight. She grabbed Fluttershy in mid-air, then Applejack and finally Rarity. With all her utmost passion and tender lovingness, she brought them all in her strong warming embrace, refusing to let go even for a second. It was happy to be home again.

“Twilight!” Rarity said, surprised at how overly sad yet elated she was. “You’re crying. Is everything all right?”

“Whoa, easy there, Twilight.” said Rainbow Dash, a little taken back at the overly affectionate group hug. “You’re getting a little TOO friendly, relax. You don’t have to miss us that much. We were only gone this morning.”

Twilight couldn’t control herself or hold back her tears. “I know… but it felt longer than that. I’m just so glad that you’re all still alive, that we’re all still together. I want to keep friendship forever.”

Applejack smiled and laughed. “Of course we will, partner.” she said reassuringly and gave a wink. “Of course we will.”

The ponies cuddled Twilight, promising their long-lasting friendship to thrive in the years to come. It was a heavenly feeling. Twilight knew that none of them would possibly realize the hardships and internal pain she endured, but that barely mattered. She was back, and she couldn’t have felt more contented in her life. This was a moment she wanted to remember and cherish as much as possible…

“Um… you can let us go anytime now.” said Fluttershy bashfully.

“Oops, sorry!” Twilight grinned sheepishly, releasing them after a long period of time.

Pinkie Pie caught her breath and suddenly made an announcement to all the guests. “Make way for the birthday clown!”

A short distance away, Cerberus walked in. pulling with him a wheeled cage. Inside it was the idle and miserable Tirek, dressed ridiculously as a circus clown with the full wardrobe. No words came out from him, except for a single honk on his clown nose when he squeezed it.

Twilight couldn’t help but chuckle at the humorous sight.

“Hey, Twilight! Don’t forget the cake!” reminded Spike, worried that the cake he and Rarity prepared would be forgotten. “Make a wish and blow out the candles!”

The ponies cheered her on in support. Twilight looked around at her friends enthusiastically, and then stared at the enormous cake before her. She thought carefully and considerately for a moment. She wanted the wish count, and after a somewhat long period of silence, it finally came to her…

“For a bright and hopeful future.”

Twilight inhaled and blew out the candles in one go. Loud cheers erupted again and the party commenced at last.

A few hours passed and the party was still in full swing. Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie were singing karaoke on a lit stage while Fluttershy cheered them on with the audience. At the same time, DJ Pon-3 and Octavia Melody competed in a music battle, almost rocking the castle with maximum volume. Spike and Rarity continued to serve the last remains of the cake to starving ponies and Applejack still served her apple drinks with her family.

Twilight, outside from all the thrills and excitement she was missing, sat calmly alone at the terrace, enjoying the panoramic view of Equestria’s countryside beauty. To think of how it appeared when the Sentinels ran amuck… she felt relieved to see it unharmed and unspoiled again.

“I just saved two worlds from total annihilation, and the reward I get for all the break and sweat is a slice of cake…” she thought, tasting the piece on her plate for the first time. It was the best chocolate cake she had ever tasted. “… but it’s SOOOO GOOD!”

As she indulged in her scrumptious treat, a shadow appeared beside her. Twilight spun round and saw that it was Princess Celestia’s. She shut the door for privacy and quietly approached her personal protégé.

“Good afternoon, Princess Twilight.” she said with an amicable voice. “May I join you?”

“Oh, of course, Princess Celestia, please.” Twilight insisted.

“You know, you caused quite a stir back there… with all that talk about… Sentinels.”

“I’m sorry, Princess Celestia.” apologized Twilight. She felt guilty for causing such needless alarm. “I didn’t mean to scare everyone like that, I-“

“What was that about?”

Twilight expressed a deep sigh. “It’s complicated… it would take too long to explain everything… but it doesn’t matter. It’s nothing to worry about now… I guess we’ve already had our share of problems in Equestria… Tirek…. Sunset Shimmer… Queen Chrysalis…. King Sombra… Nightmare Moon…”

“Nightmare Moon?” Princess Celestia questioned. “Who is Nightmare Moon?”

“You know, your sister… Princess Luna…. when she turned evil and you banished her… to the moon…?”

Princess Celestia smiled and simply shook her head. “I haven’t the faintest idea of whom you refer to, Princess Twilight, but I assure you, Princess Luna has always been good and stayed out of trouble. I’ve kept her under my close wing in all our years spent together… after all, I had a solemn promise to keep.”

“Wait…” Twilight replied, suddenly intrigued. “… what promise do you mean?”

“A promise I made to a very persistent and willful pony long ago, who for a while, was my own mentor… and changed my life for the better. I never had the chance to personally say goodbye to her… I never thought I would have ever had the chance to meet her again, until now…”

Princess Celestia humbly yet honorably genuflected before Twilight, saying:

“Welcome back… my dearest and most faithful student, Twilight.”

Twilight paused… then smiled joyfully as she shed a single tear of ecstasy, replying:

“It’s good to see you again too… Megan.”

It took time for Twilight to heal from her wounds. Yet when she finally awoke, she had no remembrance of anything that had occurred since that very day she took a nap at the apple orchard. Megan, the ponies and all their friends wholeheartedly agreed never to say a word about the Sentinels or the events surrounding them, in hopes to avoid frightening her dearly.

Within the next few years, Ponyland began to make its speedy recovery…

Megan never returned to Earth, seeing no purpose for her left there and decided to live with the ponies, eventually being crowned as the first Queen of Ponyland. She ruled in Dream Castle, bringing eternal hope and prosperity beyond her ripe old age. During her reign, she was adored and respected by everyone… or almost everyone.

Tirek continued to find numerous ways to rid the ponies and usurp rule over Ponyland from Megan. In the end though, in spite of all his attempts, he never succeeded. He passed away miserably.

Hydia and Reeka returned to the Volcano of Gloom, remaining secluded for the rest of their lives. They never caused trouble again. Disgraced, scarred with guilt and too stricken with grief, they too passed away miserably. Members of their family tree retired from witchcraft, and in the course of time, sought peace with the ponies.

As for Draggle, it was unknown of her fate. Although rumors circulating from Firefly suggest that she had moved to Earth, settling down in a quiet farm with a newly found husband, where she gave birth and raised two children; a strapping young boy and a shy timid girl. She never used magic again, and embellished her new life to the fullest. She passed away blissfully.

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.”

- Seonmi-451, Cloud Atlas

The End

Author's Note:

Disclaimer: ‘My Little Pony’ belongs to Hasbro and ‘X-Men’ belongs to Marvel respectfully. No profit is being made out of this work.

AN: And that’s this story done! Or otherwise, I could write an alternate ending that I originally had in mind (plus a joke ending maybe). But I’ll only do them if you ask me to. My warmest hugs and deepest thanks to all you readers out there. Please rate and comment below and let me know of your thoughts. I’m always happy to read them.

See you next time!