• Published 8th Nov 2011
  • 6,419 Views, 162 Comments

The Border - Cabal



The adventures of Dr. Moss and a perilous crossing of the divide between Humans and Ponies.

  • ...
12
 162
 6,419

Chapter4: The Learning Center

Sargent Green Bean's jaw dropped when his well trained ears heard the conversation by the human in the breeze. The Human Learning Center was opening!

The Sargent barked an and a subordinate came to him. “Inform Border Commander Gilded Wing that the Humans are opening the Center, and prepare an inspection party!”

“Sargent, what is going on?” asked Cheerilee, slightly frightened by the change of calm from serious. The children were starting to center themselves in a group with Berry Shine and Dr. Moss in the center, uncertain of what was going on.

There was suddenly a flurry of activity on both sides of the border.

On the pony side a group of unarmed Royal Guard ponies marched out of the Equestrian building and went and stopped precisely at the warning line, waiting.

On human side, a border master assistant marched with a large key ring in his hand to the border master. After saluting each other, the keys changed hands. The Border Master disappeared with a group of BMAs surrounding her behind the human learning center building for awhile. Then the blinds on the human building went up. And the Royal Guards on the pony side went to each one on either side and in front of the building to peer inside.

The Border Master reappeared with her subordinates, saluted the BMA guard and handed back the keys. The the Border Master retreated inside the Human welcoming center.

The BMA Guard who was handed the keys, then went to the left to the building where there was two guards facing the border. He quietly murmered a command, and they about-faced and marched with him to theback of the Human Learning Center.

There was then a sharp knock coming from inside on the equestrian facing door.

The Royal Guard carefully manipulated the knob on the door where there was a human standing inside imposingly, who screamed, “BUILDING READY FOR YOUR INSPECTION! Do not touch anything!” and stepped out of the way while the royal guard entered the building and shut the door behind them.

The children began to murmur again, “What is happening now?”

“The Royal Guard must inspect the building for safety.” Sgt. Green Bean announced. He then directed his attention to the adults in the group, “Teachers, at this time do you wish to enter the human learning center? If you do, you will be treated as guests to this building by the RoH and will be subjected to their laws until you leave.”

Dr. Moss pulled Cheerilee aside, and said with a crazed excited tone, “Cheerilee, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity that we cannot pass up! We must enter the building!”

Cheerilee shrugged off Dr. Moss' hooves, “I don't know... I have been entrusted with my class' safety...”

The class then began pleading, “Please please please may we go in?” “Can we go in?”.

“C'mon Cheerilee”spoke Berry Shine. “Its not like they will eat us.”

“...Well, I suppose it will be safe.”

“Yay” said the class.

“Quiet!”shouted Sgt. Green Bean.

There was then a muffled shout in the building “Do not touch that!” followed by a barely audible argument between the humans and the ponies in the building. Humans and ponies outside peered into the windows stoned faced with a scowl. Then all went silent. Then there was a booming shout:

“Fine! All done? Get out of our building!”

Then the door opened again, and the royal equestrian guard filed out. With the lead nodding to the Sargent that everything was okay.

“Okay...” said Sargent with a hint of confusion while turning away from the guards to face the class. Earth ponies enter first, followed by Pegasi, then unicorns.

=+=+=+=

When the class entered the building, there was only a sign at the front entrance that crudely wrote:

Welcome students to the Human Learning center and the Republic of Humanity! You may only touch the objects in the room with a green circle. Do not touch anything with a red circle. Follow directions of your teachers or masters and follow directions of the guards. Do not touch the humans, fly or perform magic.

When further inside, there was an assortment of tables that displayed many different human artifacts and small trinkets, and on the walls contained pictures of important humans and the center of floor itself was a map of the RoH. The opposite end of the lengthwise building stood two human guards on raised pedestals Guarding the other door that led to the RoH side of the border.

Everything look freshly dusted and not out of place, with the exception of what looked like a Red Ribbon and a card placed on a chair before the assets of the building.

“My Ribbon!” Squeaked Apple Bloom as she moved infront of the class to retrieve it. She also picked up the card with her teeth and manipulated it open, which read:

Your ribbon has been repaired. Another fine quality job by (Black Ink blotted out the name), please mention me to your associates if they have similar work needing to be done. Please return soon comrade!

“How nice!” stated Cheerilee as she inspected Apple Bloom's Ribbon. “The humans repaired, no, replaced the loop.”

Sgt. Green Bean shook his head, “The humans are just showing off. They are trying to send a message that they are better then us.”

“I don't think that's it.” injected Gentle Moss. “Humans don't like broken things, and they will fix about anything.”

Throughout the Center, the class and adults looked at all the different exhibits. There was a mint set of human money made of paper and ink instead of coins, each denomination showing a different landscape on the back and an important human on the front. With a little placard that said:

Why Carry a bag full of precious metals that are heavy and, clink so much that thieves can hear you have money and try to rob you? Paper currency is easier to fold and carry in a bag or pocket, and they are light to transport! The inks and paper are kept secret to prevent forgery. Do not touch!

Another exhibit appeared to be a collection of gears and springs:

Everything in the RoH is powered by the gear and the spring. Its human magic! Turn the lever and watch as a process called ”Automation” make the little puppets on the other side perform a show! You may touch the lever and crank only!

Berry Shine at the request of the foals around her, carefully manipulated the crank until it stopped, then she pulled the lever. On the other side, static metal figures appeared, and danced to a melody of a unseen music box until an evil black and white striped looking human figure appeared and knocked over a few of the automated figures, then what looked like figurines of human authority arrived to take him away. The class cheered on the policing figures as they chased the evil human figurine around the set until a big police figure appeared with a stick to “Knock out” the evil human.

The police and evil human disappeared from the set and the evil human appeared in a window with wires mimicking the appearance of a jail. The humans that were dancing reappeared and danced even faster to a more faster, celebratory music box tune. And then it ended.

“Do it again! Encore! Encore!” shouted a foal. Berry Shine winded up the machine and pulled the lever again. Several other exhibits were more or less the same lever and crank type machines but with different purposes.

Cheerilee was fascinated with the more artistic exhibits, particularly the Fabergé eggs, decorated with gold and jewels, with each one representing an event in human history. Most were replicas according to the sign, but the only “real” ones were the Green plain ones made in memory people and ponies that died in border skirmishes or accidents.

Other then a spring loaded model train and airship that circled the rafters of the center, the final exhibition was surprisingly, the humans themselves which interested Gentle Moss and a few class members. There was both a living male and female guard standing at attention on a marble stand with their commanding officer behind them with placards on the marble stand that said:

Male and Female Humans (Left and Right)! Do not touch or talk to!

This was the closest that Gentle Moss was ever to humans he carefully approached closer, looking up at them while trying to take notes and at one point he murmured what sounded like a question, looking up at the guards hoping that they would make some sort of answer in a motion. The border guards ignored the pony.
Soon the rest of the class was at the living exhibit. Some made snide comments about how humans must be statues in real life. Others wondered if the two were related and had children. One got too close to the female and the female guard picked up her rifle from rest and secured it with both hands. The sudden movement terrified the young foal and he backed away as the rest of the class oohed at the break of non-movement.

“That means 'Don't get too close'.” stated Sgt. Green Bean. “Stay out of their personal space.” he warned.

The clock tower outside chimed. The human officer standing behind the male and female guards whispered “At ready... away weapons!”

Both guards shouldered their rifles with the strap and returned to ready. The class babble suddenly ceased at the movement.

The officer then walked from behind the guards to the front. “Ready, face right!”

Both guard faced right like clockwork. The officer, then turned about smartly towards the class.

“Fillies... and Gentle-colts” she began, still slightly uncertain if the pre-written speech was correct in using the honorifics. “May I have your attention please. At this time, please stand for the national anthem of the Republic of Humanity. Please remain silent. Thank you.”

She then turned right, towards the human flag that was hung on a small pole near the corner of the room. She then saluted it. Then all three began to sing.

The flag itself was like the equestrian flag. It was rectangular, but instead of the regalia and coat of arms, it was a simple red and white striped flag with a blue field. Inside of the blue field was a golden gear. Aside from that, a younger pony would have described as a candy cane...

And this certain younger pony liked candy canes...

Aside from looking like a candy cane, Twist thought it would taste exactly like a candy cane.

And then, the unthinkable happened.

Twist walked right up to the flag and took a big, wet, lick.