• Published 17th Feb 2015
  • 5,767 Views, 42 Comments

The Return of the Shadows - Crystal Night



Story about King Sombra redemption to become a new pony and forget the past.

  • ...
13
 42
 5,767

Chapter One: The Darkness Awakes

The Crystal Empire, back again to it's shining glory, where everypony lives happy. The crystal ponies just simply forgot about their terrible past, once ruled by the one they who fear the most, now it's a deep forgotten memory. But soon, that will change.
Deep in the mountians, buried by snow and stone, lives a small spark of shadows.
A red horn emits a cloud of purple color.

"It's been a long time."- a voice says.

The red horn glows harder. The snow starts to melt around the horn.
"The time has come, for me to be free!"

Suddenly, the horn started levitating, while a dark shadow was gaining a shape, a pony shape.
"Yes, hahaha! Soon!"- the voice growled between the laughs.

The dark shadow started walking towards the exit. He could feel the cold on his mane, he smelled the air.
On his hooves, armor pieces appeared, also his neck had armor. Over the body, he had a red cape, worthy of a king.
A king without kingdom to rule over, but the most importante piece has in place, his crown. He continue walking towards the cold storm.
Soon his body disappeared in the middle on the snow.
The King of Shadow was back to life, with some thirst for revenge.

"I need a new plan, I can't do what I did last time."- he thought to himself. The thoughts of his previous failed attempt came to his mind.
"What did I do wrong?"- that's when he remembered a face of a familiar pony. A purple unicorn mare invaded his mind.

He knew, that mare was the reason for his downfall.
"Who is she?"- he wondered.

It was impossible to see anything, the blizzard was getting stronger. King Sombra was still very weak, after all he had just woken up from his long sleep.
His mind was still racing, trying to elaborate a new plan. He suddenly stumbled on a small rock, hitting his face on the white snow.
He growled at the small rock.
"What I'm doing?"- he asked himself.

Minutes have passed, Sombra had lost track of time. Fortunately the blizzard was dissipating.
That's when he saw something in the horizon. Seemed to be buildings. One of them was very tall.
"Maybe I don't need to....."- he stopped. He finally had the perfect plan.

The sun was setting on the horizon, nighttime was coming.
Sombra looked around for some kind of shelter, but there hasn't anything in sight.
His horn started glowing, dark crystals appeared between the snow. The crystals turned into a small house.
He entered, the little shelter was empty, again his horn glowed, this time he made a bed. Sombra looked through the window.
It was night time, he could see the moon above him. For some reason, he felt comfort, almost feeling joy.
Finally after many years, he was back with new intentions. Sombra felt the cold going through his body.
He summoned a fireplace. Soon, the small shelter was more warmer.

"This time things shall be much more different than last time!"- Sombra said to himself while looking at the flames with a grin.

He laid his head and prepared to sleep. His eyes are getting heavy, he struggled to stay awake, but he end up falling asleep.
Sombra woke up, but not on his shelter. This seemed to be a nice house, somehow he knew about that house before, but he couldn't remember why.
He rose from the bed, which also seemed to be a bed for at least two ponies. Suddenly, a lovely smell filled his nose. The dark pony continued to look around, then he decided to go downstairs, also following the smell.
Sombra arrived at a small living room. There was some photos on the wall. On the photos, he could see himself next to a white mare with a pink mane. They seemed very happy together.

"This photo! I..."- he was interrupted when he felt something warm on his cheek. He immediately turned around, he saw standing right in front of him, the white mare.

"Did you sleep well, my dear?"- she asked.

Sombra stand still, trying to figure what was happening. He finally gave an answer.
"Yes, I suppose..."- he said, suspiciously.

"Good, I made your favourite breakfast."- the white mare turned around heading for the kitchen. "Come."

Still very confused, Sombra obeyed, he didn't know why or the reason for such thing, but he felt he knew the mare. With small steps, he entered the kitchen. The kitchen was cozy with a circular window, Sombra took a sneak peak, he saw a river, the water was crystal clear. In fact the houses seem to be made of crystal. He also saw what appeared to be crystal ponies.

"Can it be?"- he asked himself. Sombra turned his head to see the mare sitting by the table waiting for him. He grabbed a chair and sat down. He looked at the his breakfast, that brought joy, pancakes covered with honey. Definitely his favourite. The dark colt heard a sound, his belly was asking for food. So, he started eating, he enjoyed every bite.

"Do you like it?"- she asked looking at Sombra. Sombra just nodded, he couldn't stop eating. "I need to do some groceries, I'll be right back"
The white mare approached Sombra, giving him a soft kiss on his cheek, all of a sudden, he remembered everything.
Sombra quickly turned.

"Cynthia?"- he said, while his legs were shacking. She looked at Sombra. "Yes?"- without notice, Sombra was hugging her. Tears stream down his face. His beloved mare was back. "Are you ok, my dear?"- she was confused. Sombra wiped the tears and smiled. "Yes, and I love you!"

The couple gave another kiss, but in this case, their lips touched. She finally broke the kiss, she stared at Sombra. She winked at him.
The sudden Sombra cheeks turned red. She closed the door, Sombra could see Cynthia through the window.
Sombra also decided going for a walk.

"The Crystal Empire, but how..."- he stared at the crystal ponies, they seemed happy. "Never mind that."- so he began walking.

Up in the clouds, a blue mare stare at Sombra, intrigued.
Sombra felt all of a sudden very happy, he greeted all the ponies wherever he went. This feeling was new to him. Suddenly, Sombra felt a strange presence, like almost he was being watched. He looked behind, but nothing, he stopped, and staring at the clouds, then he saw something.

He saw a blue mane and wings. "Princess Luna?"- he thought.

Sombra woke up from his sleep. The fire has faded.
Beams of light entered the house through the window. Sombra then realized. "It was only a dream..."- a tear dropped from his face.
He stepped out his crystal house.

"This won't be easy."- looking at the morning sun. "But it's the only way!"

A few meters away, he could see the Crystal Empire. Now he was close, but not trying to get too close. The shield was still in place, of course, still powered by the Crystal Heart.

"I need to get their attention, but how?"- while he thought about some options. "I know!"

All of a sudden, a huge dark shadow grow up, bigger and bigger.
Meanwhile in the castle, Princess Cadence and Prince Shining Armor are taking care of some letters. Two guards entered the room, apparently they seem to be tired, probably from running.
They looked at the guards trying to catch their breath.

"Your Majesties, it's an emergency!"- one of the guards said.

"What's the emergency about?"- Shining Armor asked sounding very curious.

The two guards stared at each and then looked at Cadence and Shining.
"It's King Sombra, he's back!"- they said at the same time.

Author's Note:

Well, this is the end of chapter one. King Sombra returned from his sleep with a new plan.
I have small history for chapter two, involving Princess Celestia and Princess Luna.
Hopefully, i'll be able to do chapter three, maybey with some romance, we shall see.
Please give me your opinion, and by the way, im portuguese, yeah i know, my english probably isn't the best, so give a help, also for chapter some ideas. Thanks for reading :twilightsmile: