• Published 20th Feb 2015
  • 4,163 Views, 60 Comments

Oh Captain, My Captain! - Akashic Brony



Every Princess has a Companion Captain, except Twilight. The position is role with long tradition... and intimate implications with many marrying their bodyguards. When Twilight chooses Rainbow to be her Captain, what will the Wonderbolt say?

  • ...
15
 60
 4,163

Chapter 1 Love or Loyalty

It was a picture that was emblazoned in her earliest fondest childhood memories, the two figures in her life perhaps more influential than her parents. She imagined herself in the safety and restriction of the confines of her cradle. Then she envisioned herself being plucked and placed in the foreign and open: meek and weak.

Twilight sat with Shining Armor and Cadance. In the company of her brother and sister-in-law, Twilight would have enjoyed their breakfast together, were it not for the manila folder in the center of table. Her tea was cold, and her chocolate muffin had only several small nibbles.

Cadance gave a kindly smile, as she pushed the manila folder towards Twilight. “Your Companion Captain is very important. He or she will have to protect you through thick and thin. Your guard will be your lifelong friend.”

Twilight blushed. “It sounds intimate.”

Cadance and Shining Armor nuzzled each other. Cadance smiled. “It can be. There’s nothing against marrying your Captain.”

Shining Armor grinned. “After a while of asking, I said yes.”

Cadance chuckled, poking her husband with a hoof. “I would have ordered you if you didn’t agree.

Shining Armor coughed as he returned his attention to Twilight. “It’s a big decision, kiddo. You have to make a choice though. These are dangerous times; everypony would sleep a lot better knowing that you were better protected. There’s been talk of war with the United Griffin Kingdoms. Luna’s Nightguards can’t shadow you forever.”

Always on the periphery of her vision were her Nightguard escorts; Twilight was glad Luna’s bat-ponies were so stealthy in their role, but she still felt unease at having her privacy usurped. “I know; I’ve held this off for too long.” Twilight nodded while fidgeting through the folder. She had pushed it to the back of her schedule multiple times then several more times. For months it had been the last item on her checklist.

Shining Armor pointed to some of the profiles. “I picked out the best of the best for you, Twily. They’re all good soldiers and good matches. You won’t go wrong with any of them. I want you to choose who you feel would best serve you.”

Cadance giggled and winked. “There are a few unconventional ones in there as well if you’re feeling adventurous. I slid in several ones when Shiny wasn’t looking.”

Shining Armor guffawed. “Wait, what?”

Cadance sang. “Love is a battlefield.” She stood up at the table and gestured grandly. “You can have a tournament for the position if you'd like!”

Twilight shook her head. It was too novel cliché for her. “Rarity might like one, but I'd rather choose.”

Shining Armor bit his hoof as he looked at the profiles. “So you’ve chosen?”

Twilight had already read all the biographies. The menagerie of matches didn’t interest her. She made her best winning impression that she used to get cookies as a foal. “Big brother best friend forever, can I choose somepony not on the list?”

Shining Armor looked worriedly. “Twily?”

Warm currents carried her; Twilight felt the breeze through her fine feathers from her secondaries to her primaries’. A whole new world was hers: with wings she could explore more than she ever imagined. She felt the joy of all Pegasi; her thoughts, however, always turned towards one. She had chosen, and her brother and sister-in-law approved. Now all that remained was to ask. Twilight dipped slightly as she wondered what her chosen would say.

Victory Day, a thousand years ago, The Pegasi Weather Warlords won the skies from the United Griffin Kingdoms, establishing the independence of the Pegasi ponies through all of Equestria. It was a joyous time for any Pegasus and had become a national holiday. For Rainbow Dash, it meant more work that the upcoming event entailed.

In her office she sat between several skyscrapers of forms and papers, grumbling as she stamped form after form. Rainbow cringed when she looked at the stacks still waiting. Approvals for explosive fireworks, the new fly-by formation, the various requests for holiday leave, the air security detail for the Princesses, and the choreography for the festivities left her feeling anything but festive.

At least she had the upcoming race to look forward to. Literally she would be looking. Tomorrow’s race would be for the lower ranks and recruits to shine. It would be considered improper for her to race. Rainbow grit her teeth; in her heat to compete, her wings itched to be used. She sighed after stamping another form; just smelling the competition would take all her self control not to join in herself.

Rainbow’s thoughts were interrupted when she heard then a knocking at her door…

Twilight touched down at the runway of the Wonderbolt academy. She was nearly blown away by the gust created by the Wonderbolts who were currently taking off. The elite flyers were jetting past each other in squadron formations. Their practice was a well-organized dance. Twilight’s eyes had difficulty following the intricate maneuvers. Victory Day was coming up. She had read into the ancient Pegasi tradition and learned that it was a holiday with many implications.

“Hey Twilight.”

Twilight spun around to see a familiar orange pegasus wearing a flight suit. Time had a way of flying; she saw a flash image of the littler version of Scootaloo she tutored in the library. Scootaloo and her two friends would eagerly call it ‘Twilight Time’. “Scootaloo? What are you doing here?”

“I work here, duh!” the orange Pegasus rolled her eyes and snorted blowing a tuft of her purple mane out of her eyes.

Twilight nodded. “I’m sorry, Scootaloo.”

Scootaloo, sighed. “No, I’m sorry for snapping. Being the new recruit is hard. There’s lots of wash outs. They don’t treat you like a Wonderbolt until you fly your first five missions.”

Twilight gave her best reassuring smile. Back then Scootaloo had tiny wings which left her unable to take off; now Scootaloo had an impressive set of wings able to catch the slightest breeze. “I’m sure you’ll make it.”

Scootaloo looked furtively at the ground. “Twilight, I’m not sure I even want to… I became a Wonderbolt to follow my hero, Rainbow Dash. Is this even me or just me chasing after something, somepony else?”

Twilight choked. There were uncomfortable parallels that she just drew between them.

Twilight hugged Scootaloo like she was her foal, maybe a miniature of herself. “I don’t know, but just be you. You can’t go wrong with that, right?”

Scootaloo nodded. “Tomorrow’s race is my big chance. Rainbow won it and got herself noticed from the rank and file Wonderbolts. It’s now or never in my career. I have to place in the top three.”

Twilight gently patted Scootaloo on the back. “Scootaloo, Rainbow tells me you’re the most promising recruit she’s ever had. You’ll do great.”

Scootaloo pulled herself from out of Twilight’s wings. She smiled, striking a confident pose. “Later, Princess Twilight, watch for me in the race tomorrow! I’m going to go for the win!”

“I will!” Twilight waved her goodbye.

Twilight at last reached the door. A name plate read ‘Captain Rainbow Dash’. Ponies weren’t predators, and their first instinct when faced with stress was to gallop away. Twilight reminded herself she was a Princess. She had to be bold like Luna and calm like Celestia. With her hoof she gave the door a good knock.

An exasperated and exhausted voice barked. “Come inside!”

Rainbow Dash’s voice warmed as she saw it was her friend who had come calling. “My favorite princess!” She stuffed her aviator glasses into her officers’ coat.

Twilight gushed. “Rainbow!”

As soon as the door closed, however, the gust of wind created swept through the office. Rainbow leapt and pushed Twilight out of the way as her towers of paperwork collapsed. The flood of folders and files inundated them both.

Twilight popped her head out of the sea of papers. “Rainbow, you’ve been slacking.”

Rainbow rolled her eyes. “Yeah, I know, I know. This stupid holiday though has me swamped. I swear the Wonderbolts get like a totally absurd amount of paperwork for the little flying we do.”

“I can help,” said Twilight.

Rainbow gestured with her hoof to the heaps of papers. “Nah, I can’t ask you to do all of this.”

“I insist.” Twilight beamed. “I love paperwork!”

“You think you can handle it?”

Twilight grinned and floated a quill forward. She tickled Rainbow’s nose with the feather. “You’re talking to the Princess who balanced the national budget!” She affixed a pair of red reading glasses with the same dramatic motions Rainbow did with her sunglasses.

Rainbow watched in amazement as Twilight breezed through form after form. Several lifetimes of reading had caught up with her and Twilight now had a pair of glasses like Rarity’s. The stylish frames made Twilight exude a sense of vulnerability despite her Alicorn status. With her magic she was filling out five forms at a time, while Rainbow worked with her one. Distracted, Rainbow clumsily snapped her quill.

“Aww rats.” Rainbow grumbled. She felt her wings and found no loose feathers.

Twilight had noticed Rainbow even in her work. She plucked one of her own feathers out for Rainbow. “Here, one the perks of wings is free quills!”

Rainbow recoiled. “Whoa, Twilight.”

Twilight giggled, nervously. “What’s wrong?”

Rainbow smirked. “I know something Twilight doesn’t.”

Twilight poked Rainbow. “What?”

Rainbow giggled. “You don’t just give another Pegasus your own feather. You’re new to the wing thing, so I’ll let it slide. Giving a Pegasus a feather means you’re dating or engaged. It’s a big deal. The whole tradition actually started on Victory Day.”

“Oh, yes I read about this! The Weather Warlord Commander Hurricane fought the Griffin Queen of Quivers at the Battle of Red Sky. The duel was intense; he won but lost his wings. As a sign of their love, each of his soldiers gave up a primary feather. The collection was enough to make a set of wings. The symbolic wings are still enshrined at the museum of-”

Rainbow eyed Twilight suspiciously as the Alicorn continued explaining. So Twilight had known about the custom of giving feathers. What was more - Rainbow noticed the little bit of blood on the tip of Twilight’s ‘loose’ feather. The quill did not come without a sacrifice.

The paper stacks soon were sorted into neat rows ready to be sent out. For added security in case they toppled again, they even tied the stacks together with twine.

“Done and done.” Twilight dusted her hooves off and took off her glasses.

“You’re such an egghead,” Rainbow sighed, “and that’s awesome.”

Twilight blushed under the compliment. “It’s no problem helping a friend.”

“What’s this?” Rainbow reached for a manila folder that had fallen under her desk.

Twilight gasped. “Rainbow, wait-”

The various files spilled out and Rainbow saw the profiles of each of the captains. Rainbow lowered her eyelids and smiled. “Ohohoho, you’re stalking the officers?”

Twilight coughed. “No… umm… I’m just trying to pick out one for me, that why I came here today.” She nearly squeaked like Fluttershy. “I wanted you t-t-to-

Rainbow tilted her head in confusion. “Huh, to what?”

Twilight blurted. “-to give your opinion as to who might be best for my Companion Captain!” She grinned widely, to hide her lie.

Rainbow held her gaze for a moment before chuckling. “Twilight, that’s easy. Just ask around, paperwork won’t tell you who’s who.” Rainbow waved a wing while taking her folder with her other one. Rainbow wrapped a wing around Twilight. “C’mon, we’ll take a tour. I’ll introduce you to the best.”

Twilight squealed as Rainbow pulled her along. “Will we sing a song?”

“What? No.” Rainbow rolled her eyes. “We’re not picking a pet. We’re picking you an owner.”

Twilight guffawed.

Rainbow laughed. “Let’s go!”

Twilight sighed as she followed after Rainbow. Her courage had failed her.

As they flew together, Rainbow held the folder in her forelegs and nosed through the files.

“This one is bum,” said Rainbow, picking one file with her mouth and chucking it away. She grimaced as she saw another file. “This one too.”

Twilight caught the flying files with her magic. “Rainbow!”

Rainbow flung another couple of files. “Seriously, who put this folder together?”

Twilight caught another file. “My brother Shining Armor and Cadance helped me with the list. They said the candidates were good.”

She noticed another file. “Lieutenant Flash Sentry?” Rainbow picked it up and dangled it.

Twilight recalled passing interaction with the guard. “I thought he was nice enough.”

Rainbow guffawed. “The guy couldn’t guard a rock and he flirts with all the Princesses. Complete gold digger. You can’t separate him from a lineup either, too generic. You deserve better.”

“Ewww, I guess you’re right,” said Twilight.

Rainbow tossed the file into the breeze.

Twilight scrambled to catch it. “Stop throwing them though; those are classified documents!”

“Ops, sorry,” said Rainbow, opening the folder to let Twilight stuff them back in.

Landing at the Royal Guard Barracks attached to the Canterlot Castle, Twilight followed Rainbow as they made their way to through the training courtyard.

“Don’t worry, I’ll set you right,” said Rainbow.

“Which guard did you have in mind?” asked Twilight.

“I’ve got several ones in mind.” Rainbow pulled a file from the folder. It read ‘Blueberry Frost’.

“Incoming!” cried a voice.

Twilight and Rainbow ducked as a gilded armored guard was sent flying over their heads. The soldier careened, crashing into a decorative topiary of a pegasi guard.

They saw the source of the projectile as a single Earth pony soldier with an upraised leg in kicking position. It was an azure mare with white streaks in her hair. She wore an officer’s gilded armor. Barely hidden behind her sleek fur were wiry muscles.

“Anyone of ya, want a go?” The soldier eyed the line of recruits.

Twilight stepped forward. “Are you Lieutenant Blueberry Frost?”

“Eeyup, that’s me,” said Blueberry, chewing through her words with a southern Equistrian accent.

Twilight was reminded of Applejack.

Blue gave a toothy grin as she eyed Twilight. “Ah’ll be bucked till tuesday, what brings a Princess down here where we working folk are?”

Evidently, she was a far cruder and ruder version. Twilight stepped back a pace.

Rainbow interjected. “We’re looking for a good guard, best of the best.”

Blue chuckled. “Maybe, Ah’m yer mare. What’s the combat mission?”

Rainbow smiled. “Full-time bodyguard with a rank promotion, you’ll organize security details in advance and be charge of your own division.”

Blue laughed. “Ah’ll take it if the tail Ah’m protectin’ is good lookin’.”

Twilight had buried her head in her hooves in embarrassment.

Rainbow noticed. “We’ll keep in touch.”

Blue scoffed. “Whatever suits yer fancy.” She turned back to her recruits. “First fool who lands a blow on me, gets to buy me dinner.”

Even with several beaten recruits lying semiconscious around the courtyard, several soldiers eagerly stepped up to fight Blue.

As they left, Twilight hid her head behind the folder.

“How about that one?” Rainbow poked Twilight with her hoof. “She’s also into mares.”

Twilight turned back to the courtyard where Blue sent several more recruits flying with her kicks. Looking at Blueberry, Twilight however could only think that the mare’s fur coat color was only shades away from the blue of Rainbow Dash. It made her long for her true desire and shake her head.

“Too butch, huh?” Rainbow nodded. “We’ll look at couple more. Maybe someone more hot.”

At the spell shooting range, Twilight and Rainbow met with another Captain.

“Captain Crimson Flame of the Mages Corp, at your service. I would be glad to be the Princess Twilight’s Companion Captain!” A dark mane and white coated unicorn stallion took Twilight’s hoof and planted a kiss. His long blue Mages Corp coat flickered in a timely breeze with the tufts of his hair.

Twilight smiled. The unicorn certainly had class and breathed an air of refinement. She was nearly enamored until she noticed Crimson’s lieutenant, a white coated unicorn with a blond mane, glaring angrily at her.

Rainbow poked Crimson. “Do that fire thing.”

Crimson directed his horn at an archery target. Auric flames flew from his horn. The flurry of flames dissipated to reveal an expertly drawn rose burned into the woodwork.

Twilight clapped her hooves along with several some other unicorns at the range. Again, Twilight’s enthusiasm was dampened again by Crimson’s Lieutenant hovering about with a frightening stare.

Rainbow whispered into Twilight’s ear. “Totally hot and cool, right?”

Crimson smiled. “I dare the Griffins to interrupt tomorrow’s celebrations!

My pyromancy rivals the dragons! Princess Twilight, I promise you will be utterly safe with my protection.”

Crimson’s lieutenant coughed. “Oh sir! I forgot, I still need your signature on your petition to shorten the armored skirt length of female guards!”

Crimson blurted. “Lieutenant Hawkeye, are you trying ruin my chance at promotion?!”

Hawkeye stated, simply. “Captain, you told me to tell you. So I have.”

“Timing!” cried Crimson.

Crimson and Hawkeye started bickering. Twilight smiled at the dynamic Crimson and Hawkeye had, she couldn’t ruin that. She sensed they had an underlying affection even as they butted heads. It was an odd pantomime of her own situation. Rainbow seemed equally oblivious to Twilight’s affections as Crimson was to his Hawkeye.

Twilight and Rainbow moved on as the storm raged on. Twilight wished their dynamic was something like that. Even with a vitriolic friendship there would be great passion. She sensed a deliberate distance in Rainbow’s demeanor in dealing with her.

They caught the next candidate in the hallways of Canterlot Castle.

Rainbow zoomed towards the soldier. “Soldier, I have a special mission for you. It comes with an instant promotion.”

“Vice Captain Dented Armor, reporting for duty.” A red mane and light tan Pegasus gave a swift wing salute.

Rainbow got her angry drill sergeant face on. “Okay, you ready to be a full Captain?!”

“Yes ma’am,” Dented Armor nodded, as he readied to spring to his wings.

Rainbow smiled. “Recite Shakespony.”

Both Dented Armor and Twilight turned toward Rainbow with confused looks.

Dented Armor cleared his throat.

“Doubt thou the stars are fire;

Doubt that the sun doth move;

Doubt truth to be a liar;

But never doubt I love.”

Twilight blushed at the rendition and her wings extended. She tried to meet Dented Armor’s eyes but he looked away, shyly.

“Two eggheads, you’d get along great,” Rainbow laughed. “He can be your Companion Captain and you can talk nerd all day.”

“Companion Captain?” Dented Armor frowned. “I don’t know. I just met some-pony.”

Twilight’s wings flopped.

Rainbow gestured to Twilight with her wings. “Princess, dude. She’s a Princess.”

Dented Armor shook his head. “It wouldn’t be fair. I’m not going to hurt someone just to rise in rank… Plus, I don’t think I’m who she truly wants.” He gave passing glance at Rainbow before walking away.

Rainbow grumbled. “He looked like a winner. I overheard him recite poetry once. Sorry, I thought you would like the brooding intellectual type.”

“I guess they have to like me…” said Twilight, wistfully staring at Rainbow. Despite the day’s distractions, Twilight eyes still fell upon Rainbow.

Twilight walked on sullenly, dragging her hooves on the carpet way of the castle corridors. The sun was setting; the glass windows of the castle were painted by the fading orange light. They passed through columns of shadow and light. It was too emotionally straining. Twilight was only a few paces from Rainbow, yet the Pegasus seem much farther away than ever.

“Don’t worry; we still got more names to go.” Rainbow tried her best reassuring tone.

Twilight placed her hoof down though. “No.” She then swallowed before speaking. Twilight closed her eyes as she shouted. “Rainbow…I… want you!”

Guards posted down the hallway leaned in to look before snapping back to attention. Silence carried through air, and her words echoed.

Twilight slowly opened her eyes, the stunned expression of Rainbow’s face wasn’t what she wanted, and the transformation from confusion to cold was even less welcoming. Her hopes of reciprocation slowly waned.

“Twilight… I know… and you don’t want me just for the Captain part…Companion too right?”

This time it was Twilight that nearly fell back in shock. Rainbow really had grown into her position as a Captain. Her insightful analysis of Twilight’s intent pierced through Twilight. Where was the playful and immature Rainbow? How had their life trajectories lead them to be so separated?

Rainbow lowered her head, her mane obscuring her eyes. “I’m a Captain of the Wonderbolts, it’s been my dream. Dreams though, you know, have a funny way of not working like you imagined. There’s an ugly competitive culture here, corruption and cutting through friends to get rank. I’m trying to change that. I work weekdays and weekends now. I’ve become kinda like Rarity, a career mare. It wouldn’t work out.”

Twilight pleaded. “We could try. I could help you with your paperwork.”

“How about your paperwork? You have your responsibilities as a Princess. Equestria needs you, I can’t be a burden.”

“You won’t! I-I-I…” Twilight stammered.

Rainbow drew her aviator glasses from her uniform and fixed them on. “I’m sorry. Both of us have full time careers. We have to be realistic. I feel it in my wings, there’s a war brewing… We have to be loyal to Equestria.” She saluted. “I beg your leave, Princess.” She locked her legs at attention and saluted. Pivoting, Rainbow marched away from Twilight.

The shine from Rainbow’s glasses would have blinded Twilight if her tears did not already. Her throbbing heart threatened to stop. Her throat choked up. Her legs quaked. She reached out for the shrinking silhouette of her love. She collapsed as Rainbow disappeared around a corner. She was in the darkness and fading fast.

Rainbow stormed into a restroom and kicked the door knob, bending it and locking it behind her. In the isolation of a restroom, Rainbow turned to herself in mirror. It seemed like a floating pair of glasses and an empty uniform stared back at her. Shaking her glasses off, Rainbow saw her eyes drip with her own tears. She walked deeper into the restroom, turning on all the noisy faucets to hide her sobs.

So much of her wanted to embrace Twilight as the Princess confessed. A decade ago, she would have taken Twilight then and there into her hooves. Rainbow, however, knew that selfish rashness would be a betrayal of both their responsibilities. She had spoken words that weren’t hers and had hurt Twilight. The fact she had even kept her ‘cool’ made her feel even worse. She cursed her ego.

Rainbow head-butted the mirror, the reflections of herself fractured even more. She cried, gripping onto the sink and shards of her sanity. Her tears joined the great pools as the restroom flooded.

Frozen in her place, Twilight had collapsed unto the carpet way of the corridor. Her plaintive cries evoked the sympathy of the garrison guards. Several soldiers had tried to approach her but found the Alicorn had cast a powerful shield spell. Twilight shared some of her brother’s talent in shield spells and any pony that touched the barrier was thrown back. Few more dared to try.

Twilight was too absorbed in her grief to notice anything outside of her shield. This wasn’t a simple misunderstanding like the cheap conceit of two bit bargain bin novels. Rainbow had highlighted real and powerful points; Twilight’s logical mind couldn’t argue. Yet an aspect of her felt dizzy in conflict with Rainbow’s words and herself.

The sun had long since set, and servants lit lanterns along the castle corridor, save for the shadowy spot Twilight had taken. Her eyes had run dry of their supply of tears, yet Twilight sat buried in her hooves.

A gentle voice resonated in the hall. “Hark, who darkens my hall?”

Twilight was startled when another stepped casually through her shield. She raised her head to see Luna with her splendiferous flowing mane that twinkled with stars. Luna cast a ball of spell-light, filling in the darkness. Luna leaned to Twilight and smiled. “Prithee tell us, what… or who hurts thee so?”

Twilight rasped to find her throat too dry.

“Aha, we had anticipated this.” Luna clicked her tongue. “Captain Nightshade, would you be so kind?”

A gray bat pony mare strolled forward and set a tray of various drinks in front of Twilight. “Here, Princess Twilight.”

Twilight picked simply from the assortment: a glass of chilled water. After a moment of letting the cool liquid wash her tongue, she spoke.

Luna alongside her captain, Nightshade, sat and listened intently to Twilight. Throughout the explanation there was an occasional question, but mostly Twilight spoke while they nodded. Soon Twilight was finished as were the drinks on the tray.

Luna rubbed her chin. “Surely thou saw the implications of thy offer? A Companion Captain is a guard of the most intimate nature.”

Twilight bit her lip. “I knew, even Rainbow knew… I just thought things would be different.”

Luna nodded. “Tis a most troublesome quandary. Thine personal affections or thine duty to country, many have pondered such thoughts. Perhaps, twas thy timing that was off?”

Twilight thought of the coming holiday and added stress on Rainbow. Rainbow had even taken time to go through the charade of helping her ‘find her Captain’. “I’m so selfish… Being Captain of the Wonderbolts is her dream. Rainbow deserves to be happy.”

“So dost thou.”

Twilight sighed. “Does being a Princess mean I’ll be lonely forever?”

Luna shook her head. “Perhaps thou art blinded by love’s light. Thou sees only one star upon the sky because it is so close to thee.”

Twilight looked at the manila portfolio again. Her tears had seeped through the folder and smudged some of the files. She pushed it sliding away. “I don’t want any-pony else…” On the cusp of a sob she cried. “I want Rainbow!” She pounced Luna, looking for comfort.

Luna hugged Twilight back. “We know…”

After moments more, Twilight spoke. “Thank you, Princess Luna.”

“Twas once upon a cold night, thou imparted sagely words of wisdom. We thought to return the favor,” Luna cleared her throat as she let go of Twilight, she returned to formality. “Princess Twilight.”

“Princess Luna, I was thinking about having making an adjustment to the Victory Day celebration. Can that be arranged?”

Throngs of ponies gathered in bleachers and the surrounding grounds. Their attentions were drawn to the wooden stage tower where there was a podium. Equestria’s Captains and officers sat behind Luna as she began her opening oration.

“Hear ye! Hear ye!” Luna blasted her speech in the ever so booming Canterlot Royal voice. Magnified with a megaphone she broke sound barriers. Her experienced Captain and bodyguards dove to cover their ears.

Luna noticed and adjusted her pitch to be lower yet still resonantly powerful. “Hear ye! Hear ye! Twas a millennia ago that the Pegasi nation foreswore the nomadic ways of their ancestors and enjoined in harmonious union as the third power in the trinity races that formed Equestria. Tis with great gusto today, we celebrate their, our, victory against the United Griffin Kingdoms, and the freedom of our skies.”

Several Pegasi soldiers lifted a large gleaming trophy for all to see. The crowds were blinded by the sun in between the two golden metal wings of the trophy.

“In today’s race, the winner shall receive The Golden Wing trophy, adorned with the 40 gilded feathers symbolic of Commander Hurricane’s Honor Guard.”

Twilight rose from her seat and stood by Luna.

Luna cleared her throat. “We do declare an addendum to today’s festivities. In an addition to the trophy prize…”

Twilight stepped up to the podium. “The victor shall receive my feather and a dinner date with me.”

The crowds of Pegasi and ponies roared in cheers. There was whooping and a few wolfish whistles also. The racers before the checkered line looked upwards at the stage and some beat their wings, readying for takeoff.

Rainbow stood up and intercepted Twilight as the Alicorn returned to her seat. “Twilight, what are you doing?”

Twilight said nothing and went around taking her seat without looking at Rainbow.

Rainbow grimaced. “Look, I know you’re trying to get back at me but that’s not the way to do it.”

Twilight kept her gaze fixed ahead.

Rainbow threw up her hooves. “Seriously, Twilight, you’re just going to give your tail to the fastest flyer?”

Twilight narrowed her eyes towards Rainbow, her voice quivered slightly from anger. “We all know who the fastest is…”

Rainbow stepped up to the podium besides Luna. She poked Luna and whispered in her ear.

“Glorious!” Luna smiled. “Tis most irregular, but we have a Captain competing: Captain Rainbow Dash!”

Rainbow turned back to find she had elicited a greater response from Twilight. The angrier glare though, she found disheartening.

Luna blasted her voice. “Ready thyselves! The race shall commence shortly, after the opening ceremonies!”

Attendants entered the crowds with snack trays, and Pegasi wing formations streamed overhead in their rehearsed ballet, writing trails into the blue.

Rainbow strolled into the locker room where ponies donned their flight suits. As she wiggled into her own suit, she faced glares and stares.

Scootaloo strolled up to Rainbow. “Glory hound,” She scoffed. “You have to win at everything, don’t you?” She sniffled. “You couldn’t let us newbies win?”

Rainbow blinked in shock. “No… Scoots, this isn’t about-”

Scootaloo shook her head. “If you’re in why should we even try? No-pony can compete with you.”

“I can!” A familiar teal pony with yellow and orange mane stepped forward.

“Lightning Dust?” Rainbow gasped. She recognized an old rival. “I thought you were disqualified for service because of your reckless endangerment of civilians!”

Lightning tapped her gilded armor plate. “Yeah, you got me kicked from the Wonderbolts, but that didn’t stop me from joining the regular Royal flying corps. I’m going to enjoy this!”

Rainbow sneered. “You won’t win.”

Lightning laughed, shaking off her armor. “Oh I will, I heard about your lover’s spat too with Princess Twilight. That dinner date is going to be just that much sweeter. I’ll be a made mare, a Captain for this!”

“You’ll never get there. Who would promote you?”

“Your marefriend will, or my marefriend. I’m going to be her Companion Captain.” Lightning pulled back Rainbow’s flight goggles so they’d slap her.

Rainbow pressed her hoof, pushing Lightning back. “Twilight would never go for you!”

Lightning scoffed. “I’ll in throw a little charm and she’ll soon swoon. I don’t care to have her, but I’ll enjoy it just because it’ll mean you can’t have her.”

Rainbow was ready to attack and she had coiled her legs to spring.. “She’s not anypony’s property. It’ll be a cold day in Tartarus before I let you-!”

“It’s not fair if you compete, I guess I’m in too.” A yellow pony with a flaming mane strolled into the room.

“Spitfire?” Rainbow swiveled to see the extra competition. Spitfire was a Captain edging on retirement but Rainbow knew Spitfire’s edge was no less sharp.

Lightning snorted. “You think you got a chance, grandma?”

Spitfire spat. “That’s insubordination, Lieutenant Lightning.”

Lightning raised her head high. “I’m a regular Royal Guard, not your jurisdiction.”

“Don’t mind me, ladies.” A teal pegasus with an azure mane stepped through.

“Soarin?” Spitfire’s brow rose.

Soarin chuckled. “I figured I’d join the fun. This race looks like legendary material. Whoa-”

“Mare’s locker room! Males are over there, you pervert!” Scootaloo pushed Soarin out.

Rainbow rubbed her hoof over her aching forehead. She half expected one of those legendary Wonderbolts she studied in history to pop up. Her certainty of victory and her confidence was shaken by the new entries.

She and Lighting Dust had history, and having flown besides Lightning, Rainbow knew her opponent was to be reckoned with in terms of pure speed. Spitfire and Soarin were veterans where they’d make up for their lack of raw power with skill at tight turns and familiarity with the track. The other racers were trained by Rainbow, and therefore they weren’t near her level.

And then there was Scootaloo, Rainbow saw the smaller orange Pegasus sulk to her locker as the others left. Aside from Lightning Dust’s sudden entry, Scootaloo was the most promising Wonderbolt in the academy and in this race. It was to be her time to shine and Scootaloo was expected to place in the top three. Rainbow wanted to reach out and comfort her student. She heard a ripping sound. Scootaloo promptly stormed out.

Rainbow walked to see ripped pieces of a pin up poster she assumed Scootaloo hung proudly once in her locker. Rainbow arranged the pieces the best she could. She found it was a picture of herself as the model for young Pegasi to follow. The torn version of herself in her officer’s regalia seemed to stare back at her. Who was she? Rainbow waved her wings dispersing the pieces. Lesser racers made way as Rainbow exited the locker room with a determined look in her eyes.

On the elevated platform, the various officers of Equestria were served drinks by attendants.

“Thou ought to rejoice. Thy love, fights for thee.” Luna peered slightly over the platform.

Twilight shook her head. “I don’t know if I even want her. I didn’t get a sense she was racing for me… exactly.”

“Hast thou a change of heart?”

Twilight sighed. “Rainbow may be right… we wouldn’t work. The percentage of successful relationships where partners have such differing interests is low. Our careers could keep us apart. I-” Twilight began breaking down and her vision lost focus.

Luna pushed back an errant strand of Twilight’s hair that had popped loose. “Thou art the scholarly sort, pessimism and skepticism is thy inclination. Love be naught so simple. Great friends may make poor lovers. Great loves may make for poor friends.”

“Princess Luna, what should I do?”

Luna shook her head. “Experience I may possess, still we are of equal station, I would not presume to decide for thee. Should she win and should she want thee, wouldst thou be ready to forgive? Should she lose, wouldst thou take so bold a venture with a stranger?”

Twilight took special heed of Luna’s break in her speech from her royal ‘We’. She lowered her head. “I’m afraid she’d win… and I’m afraid she’d lose.”

“Be ready, Twilight Sparkle. The choice is still thy own.”

Rainbow sighed as the racers took to the checkered starting line. The racers readied themselves by revving their wings. Gusts of dust caused the onlookers to cough as the racers increased wing power.

Rainbow was in the center of the lineup. She looked to the left: Lightning gave a dastardly grin. To her right Scootaloo looked away from her. Behind her, Rainbow saw Spitfire and Soarin casually talking.

Rainbow looked up at the platform where Twilight was, but saw no purple pony. Instead Luna took to the podium.

“Go forth, warriors of wing, prove thine skill and will!” Luna waved her hoof and several cannons exploded.

The crowds roared in cheers then promptly covered their mouths as blasts of air swept through them. Hats flew as the gale blew. Where there were the racers was now only the wind in their wake.