• Published 10th Feb 2015
  • 2,311 Views, 40 Comments

A Dazzling Tale - Darkmetroidz



Adagio and the Dazzlings have fallen onto hard times since the Battle of the Bands. Will they be able to overcome the loss of their powers, or have the Sirens sang their final song together?

  • ...
4
 40
 2,311

Chapter 5- Adagio

Mondays suck. Not that Adagio looked forward to any day of the week, they were all terrible in their own way. But Monday meant going back to school, because they had enrolled at CHS, and now couldn't drop out. She would rather just be able to work. Spending all day as a barista at Starbucks was one of the worst experiences Adagio had ever suffered, but at least it helped put food on her table. School was, for her, a waste of seven hours of her day that gave her nothing of use in return. She slept through all of her classes, and was barely passing with straight D's. She could easily do better if she wanted to, but she saw no reason to try. There was no way she would be able to go to college, or be able to use any of what they were teaching, so applying herself seemed like a waste of energy.

Also not helping was the fact that everyone there hated her, and she hated everyone in return. This was something Adagio wouldn't have minded, but she couldn't use that hatred because she didn't have her amulet. She was missing a free buffet every day, and there was nothing she could do about it.

Out of all her classes, Biology was the one that Adagio flat-out ignored. She only showed up when it was convenient for her. Most of the time, she spent her last class half-asleep in the library. That was where she was this afternoon, sitting alone at a table, trying to make some headway on The Hunchback when she saw Sunset Shimmer and her goon squad coming in.

Their cheeriness bugged Adagio. No one she had met in over two thousand years was ever that happy. It just wasn't natural. They were loud as hell too. They sat at the table right next to her, making idle chatter and loudly working on homework, which kept Adagio from focusing on her book. She growled with anger.

She began sizing them up. She had little doubt she could beat up any of them singlehandedly, even Applejack, but a seven against one fight was beyond her limits, even if it was unlikely Rarity or Fluttershy would actually fight. Had she Aria and Sonata on her side, she would have had no objections to challenging them to a fight right there. But the reason she wanted to beat them up was because she no longer had Aria and Sonata by her side, and it was all their fault.

Adagio settled on giving them a brutal tongue-lashing. It wouldn't be as satisfying as breaking a few ribs, but if she could make Fluttershy cry she would at least feel a little vindicated. Just as she finished planning out her word choice, she saw a single trail of turquoise and two of magenta darting behind a bookshelf. Adagio watched curiously as Aria and Sonata snuck around the table, remaining out of the Rainboom's sight, and crept up to Fluttershy, who was sitting on the far side from Adagio. She could no longer see what they were doing, but everything remained calm for an brief instant as Adagio tried to gauge what she was watching.

"YIPE!" Fluttershy jumped in surprise, having been jabbed suddenly in her ribs, spilling her cup of coffee all over Rainbow Dash, her papers, and her textbook. Aria and Sonata darted away, using the scene Fluttershy had created to cover their escape.

Rainbow Dash stood up from the table, eyes burning with anger. "Fluttershy! What the hell was that about? Do you have any idea how long it took me to do this fucking math homework?" She grabbed her by the hair and screamed, "This was my last chance to get my grade up! If I don't have anything to turn in, my grades are gonna get me kicked off the soccer team! You fucked me over you little piece of shit!"

Sunset Shimmer tried to disarm the situation, but with little success, "Rainbow, calm down. It was an accident. Let me help you redo your work."

Rainbow wordlessly held up the coffee-stained papers. It was about three pages of work, all completely soaked and coated in whipped cream, and smelling pleasantly of French vanilla. She stormed off, with Sunset and Applejack trying to calm her down, and Rarity and Pinkie Pie trying to console Fluttershy, who had broken into tears after being so cruelly berated.

Adagio was speechless. That was one of the cruelest displays she had ever seen, and had been engineered without any sort of prompting by Aria and Sonata. Something was definitely going on. Aria willingly working with Sonata was suspicious in its own right, but something had to be motivating them, and Adagio was going to find out what.

She stood up and slyly walked around the tearful girl and her friends, and behind the bookshelf where Aria and Sonata hid. They were squatting on the floor, with rags in hand pulling greenish mist in between their palms. Adagio got a good look at what they had. Sonata held onto the shattered remnants of her pendant, which glowed with an intensity that Adagio had not seen in centuries. Sonata's pendant had somehow been mended into about twenty shards, whereas when they had broken, there were dozens.

"What the fuck?" Adagio screamed. Sonata and Aria jumped and whirled around. Adagio was seething with rage, "What the hell is going on?" Sonata tried to answer, but Adagio's fury cut her off. "Home. NOW." She barked. Sonata and Aria fearfully collected their things and left. They left the school, with Adagio following closely behind. It was still half an hour before school hours ended, but no one tried to stop them, and Adagio was beyond caring anyway. She was ready to rip their throats out, and didn't care who saw.

Once the door was closed behind them and locked with its little deadbolt, Adagio glared at her so-called friends, feeling a mix of blind fury, sadness, and betrayal. She looked first at Sonata. She carefully cupped the crystal shards in her hands, looking at Adagio guiltily. "So what the fuck were you two doing?" Adagio demanded.

"We were making those girls mad because I found out that anger can fix our pendants. Aria and I were going to fix our gems up so we could sing again." Sonata answered.

Adagio's furious gaze stayed locked on her, "And when did you intend to tell me about this?" Sonata didn't answer. Her eyes stayed glued to the floor. That was the last straw. "You were going to leave me powerless, weren't you? I can't believe after everything we've been through over the years, you would stab me in the back like this!" She raised her fist, ready to unleash a savage beating on Sonata.

"WAIT!" Aria cried as Adagio brought her fist down. Aria thrust herself in front of Sonata, and took Adagio's fist squarely in the eye, knocking her onto the floor. Adagio looked in horror at what she had done. Aria had collapsed in a heap, and had a trail of blood running down her face, mixed with tears. She stood up weakly, covering her eye with her quivering hand, "If you're going to be mad at anyone, be mad at me. This was all my idea."

Adagio gasped. "I found out that the crystals can fix themselves when they're exposed to a lot of negative energy the other night, when I went out for dinner. Sonata found that out too when she was at a party on Friday night. She wanted to tell you, but I told her not to. I was going to fix my pendant so I could leave by myself and go back to Austria."

Fists were lowered, but Adagio was still furious about their plans to betray her. "I don't understand. For twenty-five hundred years, we've stayed together. Why would you leave now?"

Aria sighed, "Because I thought I would be better off by myself. I never wanted to come to America in the first place. I was happy in Austria, and you took that away from me without even asking. I've been mad ever since we first came here." She looked Adagio straight in the eyes, with a look of pure honesty on her face, "I'm tired of always following you. For once, I wanted to be able to make my own decisions."

Adagio's anger softened into sympathy. She took Aria's arm tentatively, "The reason I always try to be the one in charge is I'm just trying to do what's best for us. You two are the only family I have, and everything I do is to keep us together." Adagio had begun to cry, tears rolling down the side of her face, "Not a day goes by anymore where I don't worry that I might lose you two."

Aria and Adagio hugged each other, soon joined by Sonata. Aria looked into Adagio's eyes, and for the first time noticed the pain that lived within her magenta orbs. "I'm sorry Adagio." She cried, "I know I never say it, but I'm thankful I have you to watch out for me."

Adagio looked at Aria and whispered into her ear with a motherly warmth, "I know Aria. And I forgive you."

Sonata ran off, leaving Aria and Adagio to wordlessly make amends. She came back a minute later with an embroidered handkerchief that contained the pieces of Adagio's amulet, "Hey guys, we have some work to finish, remember?"

They took Sonata back into the hug, crushing her between their bodies. Adagio released them after a minute, and Aria looked at her with a grin, "So what do you say? You want to get back at the bitches that put us in this shithole?"

Adagio's mouth spread into a dastardly smile, "I'd like nothing more. I owe them some pain for what they've done to us."

Aria nodded and clapped her fist. "After these last few months living here, eating shitty noodles every day, I'm about ready to settle the score."

Sonata giggled with delight, "So we're getting the band back together?"

"The band never broke up, sweetie," Adagio smiled kindly, "We hit a rough patch, but we bounced back. We always do." She looked out the window, toward the moon, toward the school, "We're going to show those girls what happens when you mess with The Sirens."

Author's Note:

Once again, thank you all reading this. I've been having a lot of fun writing this one. I'm
working out the conclusion now, so expect one or two more chapters in the next week or so!
As always, stay sexy readers!:twilightsmile: