• Published 8th Feb 2015
  • 5,714 Views, 202 Comments

Princess Rainbow Dash, or An Alternate Ending to How Rainbow Dash Got Her Cutie Mark - LuluCalliope



Cadance became an Alicorn after defeating a mighty foe with Love. Twilight became an Alicorn after completing a spell with Friendship. Rainbow Dash is the first pony to create a Rainboom.

  • ...
18
 202
 5,714

Rainbow Dash Discovers her Catchphrase

Princess Rainbow Dash

"Good CELESTIA, what a week!" Rainbow grumbled as she threw herself into her bed, her face buried in the pillows. The last few days had been a living nightmare. First, there was the Parasprite infestation, which had been made worse by the stress of Celestia's planned visit to Ponyville. When it was all over and the Princess arrived, she announced that she had only come to say that she couldn't stay. Then she left for Baltimare, leaving Rainbow and her friends in charge of Ponyville's cleanup and repairs. THEN, there was the Winter Wrap-Up. Rainbow Dash had been placed in charge of the weather management, so she had no time for relaxing! After that episode, she decided to help Apple Bloom in a quest for a cutie mark, but the only thing this experience did was waste Rainbow's time and bring Apple Bloom no closer to her cutie mark. THEN there was the Running of the Leaves, and all Rainbow could think about was why fall happened immediately after winter! It didn't make sense! They might as well be living in a world where seasons lasted for years instead of months! But really, what kind of world would that be?

Now these events were behind her. Now she could turn her focus to something very important: relaxing. All she wanted to do was go soaring through the sky, feeling the air in her feathered wings, the sun shining on her, the adoring eyes gazing up at her, the giant pesky tree branch that she always managed to overlook...

OUCH!

"Look out belooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!" Rainbow hollered as she fell from the sky and crashed through the ceiling of Carousel Boutique, Rarity's home and shop. She landed in a pile of fabric and knocked over some mannequins. "Sorry," she said sheepishly as she pulled some of the cloth off of her. "New trick. Didn't quite work. Don't worry, I'll clean it up, Rarity!" Twilight and Applejack were also in the workroom. They waved at the princess, but Rarity only gave the Alicorn a scrutinizing look. Since when does Rarity wear glasses?

"Idea!" Rarity chirped, flashing a smile. "I'll put together a fashion show...starring us! Oh, and Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy, too! It'll be so much fun!"

"Oh, I love fun things! I'm just not sure if fashion is really fun..." Rainbow smiled as she got to her hooves.

"Don't you worry, Rainbow darling, I'll make sure that you look royally fabulous in your Gala gown!" Rainbow flinched. She had almost forgotten about the upcoming Gala...she hadn't even taken the time to consider what she would be wearing! Rarity would be doing her a favor, but still...

"Making six dresses in such a short amount of time is a lot of work, Rarity!"

"Oh, please, it'll be my pleasure!" The Unicorn smiled.

"Well...okay, you can make me a dress, but only on one condition..."

"Oh? What is it?" Rarity had already levitated several rolls of fabric over to her work table.

"You're doing something for me, so I'll do something for you...I'll fix the Boutique while you work!"

"Really?" Rarity gasped. "A princess doing construction? Are you sure?"

"Oh, calm down, Rarity, it's not a biggie!" Rainbow grinned. "I should be finished before the fashion show!"

"Well, if you're gonna do that, Ah'll help, too!" Applejack said to her. "Ah didn't see you during the Running of the Leaves!"

"I never doubted that you'd come in first place for that race, AJ," Rainbow replied. The Running of the Leaves race was one of Ponyville's traditions. By racing through the White Tail Woods, the ponies could get the leaves off of the trees for winter and have fun! Applejack enjoyed the racing aspect more than anything, and Rainbow Dash was happy that her friend had won. I just wish that I could enter some races every now and then...


With Applejack's help, Rainbow had the roof to the Boutique fixed in less than a day. She was sure that she could have worked faster, but that was made impossible by Rarity. Whenever they had to go inside the Boutique, the Unicorn would drop everything she was doing and shoo the intruding pony away from her work space. "They're not ready yet! You can't see the dresses!"

"Are you having a musical number?" Rainbow asked.

"...maybe."

"...why can't we join in?" Applejack frowned.

"Because it's not time for the reprise!"

"NO ONE BREAKS THE FOURTH WALL BUT ME!" Pinkie Pie's head had appeared randomly by a window, glaring in at the other three ponies. Applejack had blinked and reached over, pulling the curtains over the window.

Anyway...the roof was fixed and Rarity was now ready to reveal the dresses to her friends! She guided them into the workshop, instructing them to keep their eyes closed until the right moment. "Okay, you can look now!" Rainbow opened her eyes and faced the set of five unique and elegant dresses. "Oh, Princess Rainbow Dash, it took me forever to get the colors right on this one, but I did it, and it turned out beautiful! Aren't they all amazing?"

There was a pause.

"They're...um..."

"Something...?"

"Yes, something!"

"Oh, I love something! Something is my favorite!"

"They're...nice..." Fluttershy whispered.

"Mine's just not as cool as I was imagining!" Rainbow blurted. Applejack and Twilight glared at her with scrunched up noses. "What? She asked!" Twilight cleared her throat.

"I guess that they're not what we had in mind..." Oh, so it's okay for HER to say that, but I can't? Why do I live in a world of hypocrisy? Why can't we just pretend that I don't have this stupid bucking horn and move on?! I just...UGH!!! Wait, hold on, it looks like they're making an important decision. Oh, and we're leaving now...alright...where are we going?

"...thank you again, Rarity," Twilight said as she led the group out of Rarity's home.

"Wait, did I miss something important?" Rainbow asked when the door closed.

"Uh, YEAH, Rarity's going to make our dresses so that they're exactly what we wanted! Isn't that great? Weren't you listening?" Pinkie Pie bounced up and down in place.

"I wasn't listening, I was thinking of something else."

"Well, at least you're honest," Applejack chuckled.

"Maybe I should be the Element of Honesty! Or the Element of Magic! Can I trade?"

"NO!" Applejack and Twilight responded in firm unison.

"Well, excuse me for asking..."


A little while later, Rainbow was summoned back to Rarity's work room. The designer's hair was a frazzled mess. "Aren't you going to tell me to change something?" She asked the princess.

"No! I just want my dress to be cool!" Rainbow shrugged. She was more interested in checking herself out in the mirror at the time.

"You don't like the color?"

"The color is FINE! Just make it cooler!" But the more Rarity asked...

"It needs to be about twenty percent cooler!" At this sentence, Rarity slammed her head into the mannequin. "What? What did I say?" Rainbow asked.

"I just had a mysterious feeling...like a thousand T-shirts across a nation suddenly had your words printed on them..."

"...Rarity, you need to relax. I was just thinking that my dress should have a more...battle-like theme to it!" She announced.

"Battle like? Are you serious?"

"I know! I think it would be totally awesome!"

"...an awesome mess..."

"What?"

"Nothing!"


"Do you ever get the feeling that Ponyville is a town of clones?" Rainbow asked as she stood behind the curtain. It was the night of the fashion show, and it looked like everypony in town had showed up for the small event. Even the renowned fashion designer, Hoity Toity, was set to make an appearance as a guest of honor. Rainbow wasn't feeling nervous about showing off her gown, but she was unnerved as she gazed at the ponies in the audience...too many of them seemed identical...

"What do you mean?" Fluttershy whispered.

"I mean, look! Isn't that Derpy over there?"

"Oh, yes..."

"But there's another one of her right there!"

"Oh, well, I suppose that..."

"Shh! It's about to start!" Twilight hissed. The lights had dimmed and Spike, acting as the announcer, had taken over the microphone.

"Since the beginning of time, the elite of Equestria have longed for pony fashions that truly expressed the essence of their very souls. Patiently waiting decades...no, centuries...for the perfect pony gown. Today, at long last, Equestria, your wait is over! Let's hear it for the breathtaking designs of Ponyville's own Rarity!" Now the ponies took to the runway, and Rainbow's mind got lost in her own thoughts. Okay, first of all, there was no fashion at the beginning of time! There was only Celestia and Luna! THEN, once they got bored of playing hide and seek, other life emerged, and then once the life emerged, FASHION happened! Ugh, why am I even thinking about this? It's way too lame! Also...why is everyone looking at me like that? Do they hate the dresses?

"...those outfits are the ugliest things I've ever seen, and they disgrace the beauty of the radiant Princess Rainbow Dash! Who is responsible for this? Who has dared to make Rainbow Dash look tacky? It's TREASON! HIGH TREASON!"

"ATTACK RARITY!" Somepony shouted, and the crowd swarmed closer to the runway. During Hoity's speech, Rarity had managed to sneak away and lock herself inside her shop.

"EVERYPONY CALM DOWN!" Rainbow Dash shouted, raising a hoof in the air. Everyone froze. "These designs were submitted to Rarity by US," she continued. "I was the one who told Rarity to make this dress. It was MY idea." She glared at Hoity Toity. "So I guess I really am tacky, right?" The gray Unicorn gulped. "The original designs by Rarity were beautiful. If you want to see REAL fashion, come back in about a week to see for yourself! I dare you!" With that, the princess soared away, leaving her discarded dress on the runway.


A few days later...

"Rarity? Come on out!" Twilight tapped her hoof on Rarity's front door for the fourteenth billionth time (or so it seemed). Ponyvillians were no longer determined to hang Rarity for high treason, but the designer refused to leave her home. She had been locked inside for days.

"NO! I'm never coming out! I can't show my face in Ponyville ever again! I used to be somepony! I used to be respected. I made dresses. Beautiful, beautiful dresses! But now everypony is laughing at me. I'm nothing but a laughing stock! Leave me alone! I want to be alone! I want to wallow in... whatever it is that ponies are supposed to wallow in! Do ponies wallow in pity? Oh, listen to me, I don't even know what I'm supposed to wallow in! I'M SO PATHETIC!"

"Rarity...?"

"WHAT?"

"Is it...that time of the month...?" Rainbow giggled at how absurd and insensitive she sounded. But this WAS the only possible explanation for why Rarity was even more dramatic than usual!

"Rainbow Dash, that's not funny!" Twilight snapped.

"We need to get Rarity outside, or else she'll become a crazy cat lady!" Pinkie added.

"But what can we do?"

"...I could always try to finish that dress..." Fluttershy spoke up. The others looked at her. "I do like sewing little outfits for the little critters...and Opal and Angel..."

"But are you willing to do it?" Twilight asked.

"...if it means that we'll see Rarity again, then yes, I'll do it!"

"Then hang on while I steal the dress!" Twilight said, charging her horn.


One complicated burglary and catnapping later...

"Rainbow Dash! Did YOU put my Opal in that tree?" The princess and the cat were perched on a branch of a large tree. The cries of the spoiled cat were all the motivation Rarity needed to step outside the confines of Carousel Boutique.

"Well, yeah! How else would we get you out here to see this?" Rainbow pointed down. When Rarity's Gala dress had been taken from her home, it was still a work in progress. Now, thanks to Fluttershy, it was a gorgeous masterpiece. And Hoity Toity and the rest of the town were approaching, ready for the second take of the fashion show. They entered the store and took their seats in front of a small stage that Rarity kept just for emergency fashion show occasions. The models dressed themselves and took to the stage one at a time.

"This can't be the same designer!" Hoity Toity protested. "These are incredible! Brilliant! Encore, encore! Oh, Rarity, you are a genius!" As the ponies took a bow, he approached the stage and grabbed the designer by the hoof. "How honored would you be to have your couture featured in my Best of the Best Boutique in Canterlot?"

"EXTREMELY!" Rarity squeed.

"Excellent! I'll need you to make a dozen of each dress for me by next Tuesday!"

"And we'll all help this time!" Rainbow announced, joining the conversation. She smirked. If my theory about the clones was true, Rarity could make five more of herself and have these dresses ready in no time! But I don't know cloning magic, and I don't think Twilight does, either...does cloning magic even exist...?


Meanwhile, in the Everfree Forest...

"Oh, Mirror Pool, you are our great provider..." Dozens of Derpy ponies were gathered in a circle around the surface of a common pond. They bowed to it, chanting a mysterious rite of honor. A few feet away, one Derpy stood, dressed in fancy attire, a crown of muffins upon her head and a wicked grin on her face.

"Yes...yes...great Mirror Pool, you are the answer to all of our problems...it is you who gives life to my clones! It is you that makes it possible for me to deliver mail across Equestria so efficiently! Nothing can stop us from delivering mail! Not rain, snow, hail, or Rainbow Dash's strange, paranoid filled glance at the fashion show! NOTHING!"

Author's Note:

PHEW! I am SO sorry for the delay in this chapter, you guys! I just graduated from high school, so HURRAH, more free time on my hands! *dance party* Meanwhile, season five has dropped a lot of new ideas on me! I have to admit that I struggled with which episodes to work with for a long time, and eventually decided to just skip to this particular episode. Anyway, the chapter that I've been looking forward to publishing the most is the one about the events of A Canterlot Wedding. I've already gotten a lot written! That section of the story is going to be my little writing baby... *cradles it*

Okay! Next chapter should be easy! It's based on a mostly Rainbow Dash episode, after all: Sonic Rainboom! (I'm skipping Feeling Pinkie Keen because I don't like that episode and Rainbow didn't have a lot to do with the plot.) Will she win the competition, even though she has that pesky horn and technically can't enter the competition because royalty? TUNE IN TO FIND OUT!