• Published 13th Mar 2015
  • 9,342 Views, 1,025 Comments

Sunny, Moonie, Twily - Jetto



Twilight Sparkle, Sunset Shimmer and Moondancer are best friends, living in a dorm together.

  • ...
16
 1,025
 9,342

PreviousChapters Next
41. Four Times a Day! (by Eyeswirl the Weirded)

Meanwhile, at the residence of Marble Magnanimity, the Lady of the house sat in her study/office/seldom-used boudoir, unmoved from where she'd been when her daughter left.

"Postage for you, Madame," came the voice of Mr. Push, "it seems to be urgent."

Peeling her eyes from her desk, Magnanimity took hold of the letter in her magic. "And why was this not delivered with the rest of the day's mail a few hours ago?"

"I believe it was only placed recently, likely in coordination with a series of emphatic knocks on the front door in which it was wedged."

Taking a moment to look over the letter in question, Magnanimity sighed. “Another of these, is it? Honestly, I grew tired of ‘ransom notes’ promising the safe return of my daughter years ago, but this has to be the most pitiful yet.”

She held it in the light so that Mr. Push could see every flaw in the thing. “First, it’s made of words cut from various magazines and amateurishly glued onto construction paper, like something a foal would make. More insulting is the given sum; less than four hundred bits, barely fit to be called chump change for what I would surrender to see my daughter returned to me unharmed. Finally, even if I wanted to entertain the idea that this may have been a genuine article, there’s no sort of address on the paper, not even ours, so nothing could come of this anyway.”

Mr. Push nodded. “Do you think it was a prank of the Timber family again? Or another of those brothers’ exploitative schemes?”

“It doesn’t matter.” She let him take hold of it. “Dispose of this, please.”

“At once, Milady.”

---

“Please,” Moondancer pleaded to the captors that were collectively trying to ignore her while playing cards at a nearby table, “for your own sakes, just let me go! Crime does not pay, nopony escapes justice forever, and Sunny’ll probably make it look like an accident!”

"Maybe we really should gag her."

Switch's head snapped in Cook's direction. "That doesn't sound a little exploitative to you?"

"Said the mare in tight rubber."

Her eyes narrowed. "What the Hay are you implying?"

He looked back at her. "You've gotta admit, the shiny catsuit is a little-"

"It is NOT a sex thing, okay?! Besides," she indicated Mitts, similarly garbed and standing right next to her, "he's wearing the same thing!"

"And that makes it normal?"

"Maybe, for ponies who don't keep their head in the gutter!"

"Now, now," pleaded Mitts, in his usual gentle tones, "it's something of an open secret that Miss Moondancer here is no stranger to such scenes, why don't we defer to her experience? While she's not gagged, I mean."

The trio of criminals turned to look at their hostage, who was emitting little sparks from her horn at the ropes while wincing and repeatedly mouthing ‘ow’. Realizing she was being stared at, Moondancer slowly turned her head. "Well," she said with a sheepish little smile, "since you're asking, I-"

Switch's eye twitched. "NOW SHE'S USING MAGIC!!"

The bulk of the her headache had mercifully subsided, but Moondancer was still having trouble casting actual spells.

Cook made a sour face. "I don't own an inhibitor, okay?! Not everypony has freaky unicorn marefriends!"

Switch was blushing under her ski-mask again, but before she could express her rage, Moondancer spoke up.

"Actually, despite certain depictions in modern media, even the comedic ones, the use of restraints in the bedroom is not at all uncommon, and while dangerous if handled carelessly, bondage usually has more to do with a show of trust between participants than anything like, well... our current situation. No offense."

There was a short silence. Her honor had been vaguely defended, but Switch still didn't sound happy. "She's booksmart on this now?"

Sensing some kind of opportunity, Moondancer beamed. "Better than booksmart, I'm first-hoof-experience-smart!" Eyebrows were waggled. "Ask me anything!"

There came a series of emphatic knocks at the door, which Cook sprung to answer. "I'LL GET IT." Despite being indoors, he fled the coming talk on wings. At the door was Charlie, as expected. "Welcome back. How'd it go?"

"Lettah's in 'er drop box. Wot 'appens now?"

"Uh..." Truth be told, Cook had no idea. "Maybe, we just wait now? Like, they'll drop off the money in a little while?"

"Oi didn't see our address on that note."

"..."

"...?"

"..."

Well, Mitts was probably new to this whole foalnapping thing too, so Cook could hardly begrudge him for forgetting details on the ransom note. They could always make another one, right? He and Charlie headed back to the others to share the news, catching what Cook hoped was the end of their conversation, with Switch sounding particularly interested.

"Y'see, that's part of the reason we're together, Mitts here actually knows how to treat a mare!"

He lightly ski-mask-nuzzled her, to her quiet appreciation. "Only you, my dear."

She started tearing up. "Aww! See what I mean?!"

Moondancer smiled too. "I'm happy for both of you."

Cook cleared his throat. "Hate to interrupt, but-"

He was interrupted by a thunderous crash, making all present jump with a start. They turned (bar Moondancer, who luckily was already facing the right way) in the direction of the front door, which had come sailing from around the corner, smoking and splintered. The sound of encroaching hoofsteps kept them in suspense until Princess Luna stepped into view.

She fixed the group with a cold stare. "You will release that filly immediately and submit to arrest."

Momentarily silent, the four foalnappers shared a quick look before Switch held up a hoof. "One sec, please?" She turned to her partners in crime. "Huddle!"

They huddled together and started whispering, to Luna's immediate confusion. She could have sworn the response to royalty breaking down a door and making very final demands was immediate compliance, but a thousand years clearly changed things around! Looking at Moondancer, she found her tied to a chair... and staring back at her. The focused gaze, while common in the presence of a princess, gave her a strange, naked feeling, so she focused on the huddled felons as they presumably hatched a new plan.

"So," whispered Cook, "you're thinking that while no sane pony attacks a princess, we're pretty much screwed anyway if we go quietly, whereas if we jump her and by some miracle pull it off, we'll be ransoming a princess?"

"Pretty much," confirmed Switch, "like, I know this is nuts, but aren't we sorta desperate anyway?"

"These are tough times," noted Mitts, "shall we send Charlie first?"

Charlie nodded his big old head. "On moi way."

The huddle broke up, Charlie casually approaching the princess. He came to a stop while respecting personal space limits, but still towered over her.

Despite the niggling suspicion that this was a minotaur in a pony suit, Luna didn't let his sheer size intimidate her. Much. "You have decided to surrender immediately, I assume?"

"'Fraid not, Princess." He swung at her not unlike he had for Moondancer, but Luna caught it with one hoof, even if the impact hurt a little.

Luna's eyes widened in surprise. What do they FEED them these days?! Deciding it best to end this quickly, she fired a ray of pure force for the hulking brute's head, but apart from blowing his messy mane around, he didn't flinch.

"Ow."

The other foalnappers charged her from all sides, brandishing chairs and a broken coffee-maker, the earth pony in a rubber suit (?) shouting "We're truly sorry about this, Princess!" as they descended on her.

All three were sent flying with a simple repulsion spell, crashing into walls and the ceiling before losing consciousness, but the big one still stood before her. He reached out a hoof, but Luna quickly stood on her hind legs to touch her horn to his forehead and activate another spell.

"Sleep!"

He fell over without a word, though the impact sent tremors through the floor. Victorious, Luna allowed herself a little smile before looking to the captive she'd come to rescue. "Are you alright, Moondancer?"

Moondancer was still staring at her in exactly the same manner as before; eyes wide with surprise. "How... do you know my name?"

"I-" Luna shaped the lie in a fraction of a second. "-was told. Your name, that is, your mother expressed her dismay when the ransom note, delivered by this one-" she indicated the sleeping brute at her hooves, "-detailed this building to the be the site of the exchange."

It was feasible, for while Luna hadn't detected Moondancer in her scanning, she did notice the big one leaving an odd piece of paper lodged in her mother's front door and made a note of where he was going. When she detected Moondancer tied to a chair in the worn building he approached, she quickly connected the dots.

Strangely, Moondancer was still giving her that look. "Really? Because it seems weird that they'd arrange for a hostage exchange in their own house."

"What?!" Luna glanced around, now taking note of emptied food containers on counters, cracked family portraits, tasteful knick-knacks on shelves, and other such signs that ponies lived there. Things that one would not likely find in an abandoned building that was only being used as a rendezvous point.

"Well, I mean," offered Moondancer, "two of 'em already told me their names and didn't even try to disguise themselves at all, so I'm guessing they're kinda new at this whole cut-throat crook thing, but-"

"Yes," affirmed Luna as authoritatively as she could manage, "sloppy work on the part of these criminals, but all the better for the good citizens of Canterlot, for now you are safe and can be returned to your birthday celebrations."

"How did you know about that?"

Luna’s mouth opened, but Brain had stumbled, offering no immediate cover-up falsehoods. It was only a second’s hesitation, but the increasingly piercing stare she was getting said the damage had been done. “S-Sister informed me, she retains a level of awareness of the activities of her most prized students.”

“Then why did she send you instead? In the middle of the day?”

Lying was hard, lying on the spot under pressure was much worse. “I, s-she, she, I-I am here to, because-”

“Moon Sky?”

Luna’s mouth hung open, her insides momentarily going cold. If there had been any doubt up to now, she was certain the look on her face alone had thoroughly doused it as Moondancer’s eyes widened.

Brain-wham.

“Wait... That… Moon Sky? Is that you?”

Now Princess ‘Moon Sky’ Luna was truly lost, confusion the only thing she could voice at the moment. “Did… did you not come to that conclusion already?”

Moondancer casually shook her head. “Nah, I was asking if she was the one who told you. I mean, I’ve been here for a while now and the others are probably looking for me, but I figured my timid friend would hang back at the party to keep away from the action, she doesn’t even use her magic in class! Always had doctors’ notes or something, so I figured you’d just talked to her for the details.”

There was a long silence.

The perfect lie may well have been in her hooves, and it slipped away, further out of her grasp by the nanosecond. Brain and Heart were both having conniption fits, but both were snapped to attention when Moondancer spoke again, starting to smile.

“So, it really is you? And you came to rescue me? Wow. Moonbutts gotta stick together, huh?”

Caught at last, Luna, Moon Sky, whoever she was right now was conflicted. Her first thought so long ago was that should this event ever transpire, she'd simply erase the necessary memories of the witness and be done with it, but she couldn't even entertain the thought now. Was she glad? No, for the ache in her heart said she was much too sorry for having maintained the falsehood for so much time, even if it was with a pony she'd never intended to know for long. Her mind raced with the possible apologies she'd composed over the last few weeks, but right now, the only sentiment she could outwardly express was a sigh.

"Moondancer? I have been wanting to say this for a long time: Please do not define me by the attributes of my posterior."

Looking her in the eye, still visibly processing what she'd learned, Moondancer blinked once. "Big, soft, and shapely?"

"Moondancer!!"

"I mean it in a good way!"

"That is not the issue here!"

"It kind of is, I mean, you're THE Moonbutt! Moonbutt Prime!"

Luna was distantly surprised at herself for finding any measure of pride in the title. "B-be that as it may, I would still rather you refer to me by name!"

"Which one?"

The princess's mouth hung open, some part of her hurt by the question. Looking back at Moondancer, however, she saw not accusation, but earnest curiosity, and even sadness.

"I mean, you're a princess, so you've probably got important stuff to do, I figure that's why you always turned down my invitations, but, like...?"

There was an apologetic little smile from the alicorn. "You wonder if, after today, we'll not meet again?"

Moondancer nodded, frowning.

"Well..." For a moment, she studied the worn, partly-splintered floor. "None of this, not since the first day, has really gone as I planned, but even so?" Looking Moondancer in the eye again, she smiled. "I regret none of the time spent, only that I have deceived you for so long. If you wonder whether or not we will continue to be classmates; am I still welcome in the annual festivities?"

And with that, Moondancer beamed. "Of course! Let's-" she tried to take a step closer, but only leaned forward enough to make the chair wobble, Luna catching her telekinetically before she toppled over.

"Forgive me," she said while unbinding the ropes, "it slipped my mind that you were still tied to a chair."

Looking away as her cheeks tinted pink in fond recollection, Moondancer smiled. "Haha, yea, that's how it starts."

"What?"

"Nothin'!" A moment later, Moondancer was free to stretch her legs a bit as she looked to her savior with a big, happy grin.

Luna stared back at her, a nervous smile of her own tugging at the corners of her mouth. “Is there, s-something wrong, Moondancer?”

“I just realized that in addition to cute, easily-startled Moon Sky, I’m best buddies with Luna!”



Heart leapt. “She said our name! Not just ‘Princess Luna’ but-”

“Yes, yes,” Brain interrupted, “we all get the undertones, keep it down.”

“I most certainly will not! Now, here and now, is my time to shine! STEP ASIDE, BRAIN!!

“No, you fool, don’t touch tha-”



Luna all but sprang forward, wrapping Moondancer in a tight, immediately-returned hug. They remained that way for a long moment before Luna could manage her voice again. “I’m sorry, this must seem strange of me to-”

“Nah.”

“Oh. Well, I felt I should explain-”

“That you’d rather ponies just call you by your own name, divorced from your title and everything that came with it?”

Pulling back enough to look Moondancer in the eye, Luna raised an eyebrow. “How did-”

Moondancer smiled. “I heard somepony mention you saying that (kinda muttering it under your breath, actually) back at that first party Celestia threw for you and made the mental note to call you ‘Luna’ if I ever talked to you in person.”

Luna blinked once.

Quite used to her friends being perplexed at her, Moondancer waited it out by casually looking down at the ponies that had intended to sell her to her own mother for a quick bit. A quick, desperate bit.

"Worry not," said Luna with something of a scowl when she caught sight of them, "these rapscallions will not plague you further when they are behind bars."

Moondancer frowned. "Actually, do you think we could hold off on the Law and Order bit? I wanna talk to them."

"...What?"

---

"...What?"

Switch and Mitts silently shared Cook's sentiment, though Charlie continued to be an enigma as the four of them stood before their smiling former captive, Luna right behind her as she giggled.

"I said I think I can find you guys new jobs, so you won't be stuck with a life of crime just to get by! I know tons of ponies all over town, and somepony's bound to have something all of you can do, I won't even press charges for today. What do you think?"

The four of them stared back at her in silence before Switch asked. "I really, really hate to look a gifthorse in the mouth, but... why? I mean, you do know that your mother's the one that laid us off, right?"

Moondancer frowned. “I know, and that’s part of why I wanna help. You guys only did this because Mom fired you, and even if I don’t think she’d do that if it weren’t necessary from a business standpoint, it sucks that you felt like you had to resort to being criminals to keep fed, and for that-” she lowered her head in a formal bow, “-I’m sorry.”

Cook, Switch, Mitts, and Charlie looked at Moondancer with quiet, reverent awe, as though she were a holy figure descended to Equestria to answer their employment-based prayers. Which was weird, because they’d spent the last few weeks thinking exactly the opposite of her mother, but today, a divine and forgiving creature the daughter of decadence was. There was a ray of light shining on her and everything! Part of it may have been due to the hole in their roof from Luna’s force-beam-thing, but still!

Luna cleared her throat. "I do hope all of you will learn from this experience and behave, it is doubtful you will reap such lenience a second time."

Charlie nodded, raising a massive hoof in salute. "Aye-aye, Princess." He held the pose as the others hesitantly followed his example, drawing a little smile from Luna.

After establishing a time and place to meet up and discuss the situation later, the four former (being generous) crooks headed out, Cook and Charlie having been invited to live with Switch and Mitts (and thus not in a rat-infested hole) until all of them were financially secure again. This left Luna and Moondancer alone when a familiar voice rapidly rose in volume.

"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaatch innnnnnnnnnn aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawe!!"

Luna's eyes widened. "I should go, but I'll see you at the party!" She didn't wait for more than a nod from Moondancer before teleporting away.

Not a second later, a smokey, lilac-scented comet crashed through the ceiling, Trixie leaping out of the haze with a purple, starry bandana wrapped around her head in place of her usual hat. "Alrrrright, hoodlums, you have reached your final day, for today you face The Great, and POWERFUL Trrrrixie! And her new assistant-stroke-combat buddy, Spike The Dragon!!"

Spike toppled off her back, landing in a heap of scales and motion sickness.

Moondancer smiled, but kept her distance. I'll glomp him later.

Trixie glanced around, seeing only the untied, unharmed Moondancer. "Where are the dastardly felons?"

The former captive shrugged. "It's all taken care of."

"Wha-?" Trixie pouted. "You mean I missed it?"

Offering a sympathetic smile, Moondancer stepped forward to pat her shoulder. "Don't worry, Moonbutt Three, you'll save me next time."

The magician more or less accepted this, nodding as her bandana morphed back into her Wondrous Hat.

Dizzily getting to his little feet even as his stomach continued to churn, Spike spoke in Trixie's general direction. "Thought you said she wasn't in this part of town?"

"Trixie hadn't scanned this neighborhood yet!"

Before they could go into the amount of time gained vs. lost scanning the city by needing to climb the nearest tower after every sweep, Sunset Shimmer poked her head in through the front door, the door to which was still blown off its hinges.

"They're in here!"

Moondancer smiled. "Heya, Sunny!"

Before Sunset could get annoyed at her for apparently not being in danger of any kind, Twilight shot into the room, immediately seizing Moondancer in what could only be called a worry-glomp.

"Ohh, we were so worried about you! Are you okay?! Did they hurt you?! Will you be needing another rubber rib?!"

She was really grateful for that rib right about now.

Silver Sword and Fire Strike, having run here in their armor, took a little longer to reach the door. "We followed Trixie's signal flare-" announced Fire Strike,

"-comet, signal comet," interrupted Silver,

Fire Strike shook his head. "-whatever! We all saw it and came as fast as we could, is everything alright here?"

“Yeah,” Moondancer answered while picking up the dress from her mother, which had been neatly folded on a nearby counter, “I’ll explain everything on the way.”

---

Everypony (and dragon, who'd needed a moment to purge his upset stomach in boiling, floor-melting fashion) stood in the Enrichment Center, where the gifts, party decorations, and cake all patiently waited. All present were now up-to-speed on the events of the birthday girl's abduction up to the point that Luna arrived, which Moondancer explained as the princess having just been passing through on her way to Very Important Things, to Moon Sky's silent appreciation.

"And," asked Fire Strike, "you're sure that all four of them are going straight from here on out?"

Moondancer smiled. "Absolutely! And if not, I'll do time with them myself!"

Fire Strike's mouth opened and closed a few times. "Well, alright then."

Twilight was smiling too.

"So," suggested Silver while forming an ethereal butter-knife and serving trowel with a light of his horn, "who wants cake?"

Everyone moved over to the table on which the perfectly-proportioned, if plain cake waited, Moondancer grinning wider when she saw it.

"Omigosh, it's perfect! It looks tasty enough, but not too fabulous that I'll feel guilty over destroying it! And look, even the icing is spread out evenly, so all my guests get the equal portions, without anypony (or dragon) feeling left out! And hey, the bakers wrote my name correctly, for once!"

While odd looks and amused grins went around, Twilight and Sunset discreetly bumped hooves.

---

When all had enjoyed a tasty, mostly-equal cake, they moved on to gifts, starting with the one from Shining Armor. Removing the wrapping, Moondancer found the gift to be a kite assembly kit. It was practically vintage now, but fitting for the time in which she was a foal. She and Twilight shared a look.

"Aww, remember when-"

"Yea, it was-"

"But then it got-"

"Haha, yea! It still got replaced, but-"

"Now we have another one, so-"

"Well, you've gotta put it together first, like-"

"Oh, yea!"

Moondancer telekinetically opened the box, took out the pieces, briefly looked over them, and put together the kite in four seconds. "Done!" She looked over her gathered guests to see what they thought of the kite, all but one smiling.

It was hard to remember now what exactly it had been that first drew Moondancer to go over and ‘pester’ Sunset Shimmer for the first time, but she was sure at least part of it had been a face she’d seen the fiery-maned filly making, always while looking away from everypony else as best she could. That was the kind of face she was making now, even if she did her best to hide it. Trotting over to her, Moondancer offered her brightest grin.

"Hey Sunset, wanna come fly a kite with us later?"

Snapping to attention, Sunset blinked twice. "Huh? Eh, I, uh..." She started to smile, a tiny blush warming her face before she quickly switched it to her usual nonchalant one. "S-sure, I guess."

Moondancer kept smiling. Ohh, Sunbutt Two, never change. And then she smiled wider while looking over her guests again. "Sooo..."

Twilight, Sunset, and most of all Spike all gulped, but none made a move to save themselves even as Trixie, Silver Sword, Fire Strike, and Moon Sky all looked at Moondancer in confusion. Then, the first two shared a thought, or both had an idea at the same time, or one had the idea and the other immediately caught it by looking them in the eyes. It didn't really matter as Sunset and Twilight grinned, leaping for Moondancer as they shouted "SURPRISE!!" and group-glomped her with all their might.

Moondancer was indeed surprised, but still giggled happily as she conjured an ethereal alarm clock to start ticking down from sixty minutes. “The free-cuddle hour staaaaarrrts, now!”

Spike hadn’t fled the scene, but for more than the memory of Sunset’s warning as he sat on the floor with a claw over his stomach. Eating that much cake so soon had not been a great idea.

Silver Sword took note, chuckling. “I don’t think he’ll be up to anything especially straining if you don’t want most of your coat burned off.”

Looking at her widdle Spikey-Wikey, Moondancer offered a sympathetic smile. “Ahh, that’s okay, I’m willing to offer him amnesty this time.”

Sunset made a particularly sour face, but before she could complain about the unfairness, Spike spoke up.

“No, wait,” he said while getting to his feet, “I… I-I can do it!” He puffed out his little chest. “A man… does not back down from danger!” Boldly, he stepped forward, extended his arms outward, and latched onto Moondancer’s nearest leg.

She was not the only one to offer a tearful smile for this as the two guards raised a hoof each in salute.

“Now there’s a brave little drake,” whispered Silver.

Fire Strike nodded. “He will be remembered.”

Trixie mournfully held her hat over her heart. “Trixie will cherish the time we spent together!”

Moon Sky, despite her deadpan tone, wore a little smile. “Please stop acting as though he is dying.”

There was a group giggle at the moment, but when it ended, Moondancer was smiling just a little wider. Her horn began to glow as she grinned, giving the four not hugging her a look that said ‘You’re next!’

Guard training kicking in, Fire Strike raised a cautious brow. “Should we, run, or…?”

Smiling with a hint of resignation, Moon Sky shook her head. “We could, but will not.”

One quick, but powerful (if slightly brain-stabby) use of telekinesis later, everypony (and dragon) was clumped together in a big ol’ huggy pony pile, an exceedingly happy birthday girl at the center. Twilight knew it would be plain silly to shout ‘surprise’ now, but there was one thing she and the others could say.

"Happy birthday, Moondancer!"

Cozily cuddling into her band of friends (the ones that could be here, anyway), Moondancer let out a contented sigh. She knew you were supposed to blow out candles or look at stars or something for this, but there'd been no candles on the cake and it was still sun-up, so Moondancer instead looked at ‘Moon Sky’ (whom she knew to secretly be in possession of a starry mane, so she was sure it still counted) while making her silent birthday wish.

And many more, just like this.

...

Give or take the foalnapping, I mean!

Author's Note:

Their full names were Sugar Cookie, Charlie Horse, Swift Switch, and Oven Mitts. I don't know if we'll be seeing any of them again any time soon.

Soooo wanted to make a Starlight Glimmer reference with that cake, but the corner pieces kinda mess that up. Also; I have no idea where (if anywhere at all) she stands in this universe.

Jetto says: I'm not sure where Starlight Glimmer is either. Who knows what secret agendas she has these days.

Also, Charlie Horse vs Big Macintosh. Who would win?

PreviousChapters Next