• Published 4th Mar 2015
  • 7,248 Views, 1,305 Comments

The Traveling Tutor and the Royal Exam - Georg



A simple test with an unexpected result sends Princess Twilight Sparkle’s life in an unexpected direction, accelerating a high-speed collision course with the young magic tutor she met and fell in love with just over a year ago.

  • ...
33
 1,305
 7,248

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 4 - Testing Patience

The Traveling Tutor and the Royal Exam
Testing Patience


Endless fields of wheat stretched out across the low, rolling hills as Green Grass trotted down the road with his heavy wagon full of books jolting along behind him seeming as weightless as air. Three days from their one year and six month anniversary of meeting, and it already seemed as if Twilight Sparkle had been a part of his life forever. The ring in his vest pocket had been unused for far too long as he waffled on his decision, unable to make that one last important step until he finally realized it was only one small step in a long journey which the two of them had been trotting along ever since that first day she had dropped him in the Ponyville fountain. As for the obstacles that had seemed to spring up in front of them every time they managed to have a few hours together, they had become routine to the point that even the excuse of “I’m sorry, Greenie, but the girls and I have to rehabilitate Discord this weekend” had been taken on face value, and a second weekend was scheduled that turned out to be well worth the wait.

And now the waiting for at least one part of their journey was about over. The engagement ring had sat like a lump of lead in his vest pocket for months, untouched except for one notable incident he was still trying to forget but that came roaring back every time he saw a bug. Permissions were also a thing of the past, because, after all, once you had asked permission of the bride-to-be’s parents, princesses, brothers (except Shining Armor), one cleverly disguised bug and all of her best friends, that only left one non-Royal Guard individual un-asked.

It had taken a month of careful correspondence with Gustov to arrange the events for three nights from now in Ponyville: a private table in a secluded corner of his restaurant, two bottles of most decidedly non-alcoholic sparkling cider of recent vintage, a strolling violin player who had practiced some of Twilight’s favorite pieces, and the most serious set of letters to her friends so they would just ‘happen to be in the vicinity’ afterwards, although the decision still twisted a knife in his gut every time he thought about it.

What if she says no?

His slow trudge quickened back to a sharp trot as Green Grass took a series of deep breaths, sincerely regretting that he could not simply look into the future and find his answer. It had been eighteen months — well, less three days — that he had known Twilight, now Princess Twilight Sparkle, and as much as he felt he knew the quiet bookavore, there were new things they each discovered about each other every time they spent time together. When he had vented his concern about someday running out of things to discover about each other to — of all ponies — her father, Night Light, he had patiently listened to him with the most solemn expression until he broke into laughter.

“Son,” he said with a certain look indicating the title was only a courtesy, and not to get too used to it, “mares are like having a house. Every time you walk through a room, even if you’ve been through it a hundred times before, there will always be something different about it. You will never totally figure her out, and the inverse is also true. Stallions are about as complicated as a rock, but mares keep finding little cracks and pieces of lichen on us that we never knew we had. Live with it, and enjoy it. Within reason.”

An errant breeze bumped his hat forward just a bit as the gentle wind picked up, and Green Grass carefully looked around. He was miles from Ponyville, with a cloudless sky, and not a tiny bit of pink in sight in any direction. There was a song in his heart that all of his worry could not hold back, and he might as well get it out of his system now before he made it to Wheaton for this afternoon’s final evaluation of his students, or worse, Ponyville where it would turn into some sort of town-wide musical number. He shouldered the harness of his wagon higher on his back, making one last check around before raising his voice in song as he trotted along.

♫Morning in Ponyville shimmers
Morning in Ponyville shines
And I know for absolute certain
That everything is certainly f— ♫

Cresting the top of a low hill, Green Grass looked at the small town of Wheaton spread out across the river valley. The few scattered houses and central meeting building looked just exactly the way he had last seen them, with the exception of a Royal Guard chariot parked by the side of the road, and three individuals looking at him with the kind of expression ponies get after waiting for somepony for far too long while holding bad news.

“—Fudgesicles.”

* *

The wind breaking over the passenger compartment of the Royal Guard chariot whipped Green Grass’ mane into a knotted mess as the two pegasi guards in the harness flapped for all they were worth and possibly even some more. His familiar hat was crumpled on the floor somewhere under his rear hooves or it certainly would have been lost in the first few minutes of their rapid flight, while Green Grass leaned over the front rail and stared at Canterlot in the distance as if his sheer force of will would somehow speed the vehicle to greater velocity.

The note had been simple.

Twilight needs you. Come to the Orange Puzzle Room at once.
—Celestia.

His response had been simpler. Grabbing his teaching notes out of the wagon and shoving them into the hooves of the startled substitute from Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns, he had leapt into the Royal Guard chariot with such speed that Axe and Stonehoof had barely started to strap themselves into their own harness by the time he was ready to go. Green Grass knew the guards were giving the job as much as they possibly could from the occasional frothy bit of perspiration that flew by as they panted, their wings hammering away in a near blur. Still, he leaned forward, trying not to worry and failing badly.

* *

Luna’s side felt like a furnace against Twilight as they walked side-by-side up what had been called the Solar Processional staircase and into the princess’ private residence. The two princesses shared a large common study, which included a fireplace and a set of windows overlooking Canterlot, as well as a rambling mish-mash of bookshelves, tables and cushions.

Where the princess’ bedrooms were relatively small and tidy, there was an air of intentional clutter in the study, with half-finished puzzles on some of the tables and more than one book lying around with matching sun and moon bookmarks in it, depending on how far each of the sisters had read into the latest Daring Do novel or historical romance. To be allowed into the study was a rare and great honor for the competitive nobility, during which they always tended to drift in the direction of a large table laid out with puzzle pieces, from which the hints of a disassembled orange tree in full fruit could be seen.

It was the only orange object in the room, but many generations of frustrated nobility and the occasional servant had christened the study with the name ‘The Orange Puzzle Room’ after spending fruitless (and the pun had been commented on to exhaustive detail) hours holding onto one puzzle piece or another while searching for that gap with a tiny fleck of orange overlapping a little squiggly hanging-down bit. Twilight herself had participated in the informal contest once, feeling fairly proud of her personal record of six pieces found and connected in one day, but was a little set back when a quick back of the abacus calculation showed that if she kept that rate up for a mere twenty years, the entire outside edge would be completed and she could then start on the more difficult parts in the middle.

She was feeling much like the puzzle now, sitting at Luna’s side and nodding at the correct spots in the conversation while her component parts were strewn around Equestria in unlabeled heaps. Other ponies came into the room, walked up to her and spoke, then faded into the background with an intention of support that was supposed to be comforting but only tied the muscles in her neck and down her back into tighter knots. Even when Princess Celestia sat down at her other cold flank and contributed her body heat, she still fought to keep from shivering.

Stress was not good for the foal, and she had months of this ahead of her. Millions of mares for thousands of years had done just exactly what she was doing, sometimes without even reading the instructions, so it should have been easy. After all, the process was almost completely automatic, with no score to the test or grade at the end, just a fundamental change in her entire relationship with every single part of the universe for all eternity, that’s all.

The real difficulty in the short term would be in the socio-political implications of the birth. Equestria had four princesses now, after going through centuries with the Monodeists claiming one was all that ever was and ever would be. The sect had gone a little sparse when the young Princess Cadence had been discovered in a small forgotten abbey, making their ancient doctrine of Celestia transition from ‘The Only Perfect Alicorn’ to ‘One Of Two Alicorns, The Other Of Which Is Very Small And Quite Cute.’ Factional infighting between the two sects that resulted had eventually trailed out over a year or two into something better described as grandparents comparing pictures of their adorable grandfillies. Over the years, it gradually transitioned into a speculative contest where mares across Equestria looked at articles in glossy magazines and tried to figure out which pop star would make the best match for the growing pretty pink princess. For some reason, the magazines never featured Celestia in the same way.

Then Luna had returned, and the two factions had exploded into three major and five minor branches of True Believers ranging from ‘Nightmare Moon Has Returned to Kill Us All’ to ‘Beauty Secrets of the Lunar Princess Revealed For Only 29.99 bits plus shipping.’ Celestia had expended considerable effort in peacekeeping efforts to manage their transition into more of a multi-level marketing organization than midnight meetings between cultists in the middle of forests.

When Twilight had joined the growing ranks of the winged and horned less than two months ago, the only real shift she had noticed so far was a new library card, a polite fundraising request from the book-of-the-month club to add her picture to the mailings, and a rather stern letter from the Equestrian Library Association stating that despite her new title, her dues were still overdue, and that a fee of five bits would be added if they were not paid by the end of the month.

It made her feel a little less princess-like, but if she were to birth a little alicorn princess foal, that would stir up the pot of excitable ponies all over again. Green Grass had often teased her gently about the possibility of eloping to Las Pegasus, and she had always just laughed him off, but what if he had actually been serious? She wanted nothing more than to hide from the world for a few weeks or months, maybe just until the foal was weaned from pre-school picture books up to chapter books, but as a princess, that option was not available.

What she needed was Green Grass. He had an almost magical ability to take away the stress and make her laugh that could only be topped by Pinkie Pie. When he looked into her eyes, he couldn’t lie to save his life. He was kind when she needed it, generous with his own time for whatever projects she was working on, loyal to a fault, and could make even the most annoying little colt or filly into a studious student. She needed him right down to the tips of her hooves, to be wrapped up in his embrace and never let go, forever and ever.

As if the thought had triggered it, the sound of rapid hoofsteps on the stairs outside echoed through the room. The rest of the ponies who now filled the study had stepped softly up the stairs as if they were afraid of causing an avalanche, and spoke in low whispers if they had spoken at all. These hooves were coming up the stairs two and three at a time, and a welcome voice on the edge of panic shouted, “Twilight!”

All of her previous worries about the legitimacy of the foal came cascading back in one huge wave. The room was full of witnesses now, friends and family who all knew she was pregnant and had been as supportive as they could be, but if Green Grass were to be told she was pregnant before he proposed, the law would treat the foal as illegitimate. The nobility would never accept her, and the foal would never find friends or get into a good school or find a kind and loving colt like Green Grass until she was really, really old and living in a retirement stable somewhere. She might even become a juvenile delinquent and rebel against authority, traveling around Canterlot with a bunch of other pierced and tattooed gang members, spray-painting anarchist slogans on buildings and even misspelling the words!

She couldn’t tell him, she had to keep her mouth shut, he needed to make a proposal without knowing or everything would be wrong! The doors at the other end of the room slammed open and a green blur dashed inside as Twilight gritted her teeth and turned to face him, determined to not say a word.

* *

Before the chariot even stopped rolling, Green Grass had jumped over the side and was galloping up the stairs to one of the castle’s side doors. He had been in the castle several times with Twilight and had most of the more common paths memorized, but those parts of his mind that would normally have carried out navigation were overwhelmed with disastrous visions of what could have possibly caused Celestia to send the letter. If it were not for the guards and servants in the castle opening doors in front of him and pointing down corridors, he would have dashed around the maze of twisty passages, all different, all day.

The ornate marble staircase leading upwards to the princess’ personal quarters had always seemed as if gravity were turned up in its vicinity, making his hooves strain to lift themselves for each step, but now he fairly flew up the stairs at a dead run, crashing through the doors at the top before the guards could even open them fully, rebounding off somepony dark green and apologetic, and knocking a table covered with puzzle pieces flying before skidding to a halt on his knees in front of a red-eyed alicorn who — as far as his panicked perceptions were concerned — was the only pony in the room.

“Twilight,” he gasped, “What is it? What’s wrong?”

“I’m pregnant!” she blurted out, holding a hoof over her mouth immediately afterwards.

His hooves felt like lead as they fumbled over his jacket, looking for the little box holding the engagement ring that he had been so afraid to use for far too long. He pulled it out while talking in a rush of words that cascaded out all at once, so unlike all the times he had practiced.

“Twilight Sparkle, will you—”

Twilight’s eyes flared white when she jumped to her hooves, a screech of, “No! No!” deafening all of the ponies in the room as her magic flashed, filling the room with incandescent light and the sound of two loud pops.

And when everypony could see again, Twilight and Green Grass were missing from the room.

PreviousChapters Next