• Published 7th Feb 2015
  • 4,036 Views, 49 Comments

Asking Out Ink Rose - Lunacorva



Set after the events of TF2 Analysis Anarchy. Commander Firebrand tries to muster the courage to ask out long time friend Ink Rose.

  • ...
0
 49
 4,036

Chapter 1

"Ink Rose, Hi. Your mane is really pretty today. Well, uh, I mean I think it's pretty every day. Though, maybe you've had bad hair days, I mean I don't look at your hair all the time, I mean we still have our missions. I'm not saying you're not important! You are! It's just..."

Firebrand let out a loud groan and slammed his hoof against his forehead. Two hours of practice and he was still no less of a complete dork than he was when he started. He had tried to keep in mind Engineer Wolf's advice, but every time he tried to think of something to say, the result was a muttered mess of half-formed gibberish.

HOW was he supposed to do this!? How was he supposed to ask out the most amazing pony in the world and NOT look like a complete idiot? Yes he and Ink Rose had been friends for a while now, but that was just it. He loved the time spent with her. Her energy, her optimism, it was infectious. What if he said something really rude by accident and made her hate him? What if he wasn't the right partner for her?! What if-?!

"Hey Firebrand."

Wha-

He turned around in a hurry. Silver Quill, the team's heavy weapons expert... user... carrier of-... The team meat-shield, walked into the room where Firebrand was.

"Haven't seen you at the victory party. You doing okay?

"Huh? Yeah, I'm fine, it's just..."

Firebrand sighed.

"It's Ink Rose."

"Ink Rose?" Silver Quill looked surprised. "Is this about that time on Halloween when she-"

"No!!! We swore we'd never speak of that again! No, it's... I wanna ask her out. But every time I try to think of something to say, it all comes out as garbage. She's funny, beautiful, and I really don't want to mess this up."

Silver Quill smiled.

"Well not to worry my young friend. I, Professor Silver Quill 'Amore' M.D, am here to help you with your heart's woes."

"Okay, first: You're not a doctor. And second: What?"

Silver Quill chuckled.

"Hey, hey! I might not be the best fighter on the team-"

"Silver, Wolf and I have seriously been considering if Voice of Reason's HAT might be a suitable replacement."

"-But I've had my share of relationships in the past. This isn't exactly new territory for me."

Firebrand let out another breath of air. He wasn't sure about this, not at all. But he had to admit, he trusted Silver Quill's judgement a LOT more than most of his other team members (a disturbing thought in and of itself, but still..).

"Alright, so what should I do?"

Silver Quill put his right talon against his beak thoughtfully.

"Well, if you're going to ask out Ink Rose, what you're going to want to do is..."

...

"... Silver?"

...

"Silver?"

...

"Silver!"

"... Yeah, I got nothing. Best of luck!" Silver Quill said. Walking out the room and leaving Firebrand to head-butt the wall in peace.

*Some time later*

"Winter-wrap up, winter wrap up." Ink rose sang quietly to herself as she took aim at one of the targets on the range.

Bang!

"Right through the jugular, yes!" she squeaked in triumph. reloading her pistol as she continued singing to herself.

"The time has come to welcome spring and all things warm and green."

Bang!

"Oh! Right in the arm! ...too bad it's only a dummy though."

"Uh, hey Ink Rose?"

"Hmm?"

Ink Rose took her eye off the shooting range and turned to see Dr. Firebrand walking to where she was. Very hesitantly.

"Oh! Hey Firebrand! What's going on?"

"Uh... Hi, yeah. I was just wondering.. if, uh... I don't know if you want to or not, this probably sounds stupid..."

Ink Rose blinked.

"...Yes?"

Firebrand tried to swallow the lump in his throat. He was so nervous, his knees were almost buckling.

"It's just... I really like you and-"

"I like you too Firebrand. You're a great friend."

Firebrand laughed nervously.

"Yeah... you too. Well actually, that's just it. I don't want to be-"

"You don't want to be friends with me?! B-but I, I thought you liked me."

Ink Rose looked close to tears and Firebrand's eyes widened in horror.

What?! No, no, no! I DO like you Ink Rose, I like you a lot."

"Really?"

"Yeah. So... so I was wondering if maybe, tomorrow night... if you're not too busy I mean. Maybe you'd... like to go to the movies?"

Ink Rose's face lit up

"That sounds great!"

"R-really?"

"Yeah! I'll ask if Voice wants to come along, and you can bring Wolf and-"

Firebrand repressed a groan.

"No, that's not what I meant."

Ink Rose looked confused.

"Huh? Well... what did you mean then?"

"What I mean is... You're an amazing mare Ink Rose, and I... Well..."

He took a deep breath. Steeling his resolve. It was now or never.

"Ink Rose. I want you to be my marefriend."

A thick silence hung over the air. Firebrand's gaze was fixed firmly on the ground as he waited for her response. For the inevitable rejection. He'd never imagined that his coat could get even redder than it already was.

Ink Rose smiled.

"Yeah, I know."

Firebrand sighed.

"I'm sorry I bothered- wait what."

"I always knew you wanted to ask me out silly."

"What."

Ink Rose giggled.

"Well duh. I've been flirting with you for years now. I would certainly hope it payed off."

"Wha- but, you... I... you were..."

"Hmm? Oh, you mean how I was acting before? Yeah, I just wanted to watch you squirm."

Firebrand's jaw hit the ground.

Ink Rose giggled again.

"Anyway, I'd love to be your marefriend Firebrand. Tommorow night movies did you say?"

Firebrand could only make a high-pitched gurgling sound.

"Great! See you then!" She said, before softly kissing Firebrand on the cheek.

As Ink Rose trotted away, joyously humming to herself, Firebrand finally found the faculties to speak.

"YOU-!!"