• Published 7th Feb 2015
  • 4,438 Views, 765 Comments

The Rainboom Thieves - KingJoltik



In an alternate world, the Mane Six are master thieves known as the Rainbooms!

  • ...
17
 765
 4,438

PreviousChapters Next
The Contest (Part 1 of 3)

Part III: Thief of the Rainbow

“Sis!”

“Wha?!” yelped Rainbow Dash as she fell out of her seat. “What the...what was that for?!”

“I've been trying to talk to you for forever!” Scootaloo said in an irritated tone. “All you do is just stare out the window!” The duo had gotten on a train as it started to head to Ponyville. There, the two stayed in a private cabin as they were planning to go to Cloudsdale for the Best Young Flyer Competition. Rainbow Dash had trained for the past three months and she was sure she would win. 'I'll win this...' she thought as began to stare out the window again, much to Scootaloo's annoyance. 'I perfected the Sonic Rainboom...all I have to do is show it off at the right moment...I mean...even Princess Celestia is going to be there...not to mention the Wonderbolts...'

“Are you okay sis?” asked Scootaloo with a expression of concern.

“Yeah...I'm fine little sis.” Rainbow said with a sigh as she patted Scootaloo's head. “I'm just...I'm just thinking about the past...”

“The past?”

“Yeah...it was about me and Twilight...she once told me about how I would have to find a new dream...”

“A new dream?” Scootaloo gave a curious look.

“Yeah...I told you before, I can't be a Wonderbolt...so she told me I needed to find a new goal while we were in the Rainbooms...”

The Past...

“No. I won't let you do this Rainbow.” Twilight said in an irritated tone. “I don't care how much you want to do this heist, you are not doing it!”

“But I can do it Twilight!” yelled Rainbow. “You know I can pull it off! I got the skills! You said it yourself, this gem is in the highest skyscraper in Baltimare. According to your plans, there's an entry point at the top and only I can get in fast enough. I told you before, give me five minutes and I could do the whole job myself!”

“I never denied you couldn't pull it off Rainbow, that's not the problem.”

“Then what is the problem?! If you know I can do it, then why won't you let me?!” screamed Rainbow, her face filled with anger. Twilight let out a huff. “You screaming is the exact reason I'm not letting you do this heist Rainbow.”

“Why you little-”

“Simmer down!” said Applejack as she grabbed Rainbow by the tail. “Will you just listen for a second?!”

“Stay out of this apple lover!” responded Rainbow as she glared at Applejack. Rainbow felt another tug at her tail as she saw a magic aura surrounding the end of her tail. Twilight's horn glowed as she pulled Rainbow's tail and said, “Calm down Rainbow.”

“I am calm!”

“You aren't! You need to calm down Rainbow Dash.” Twilight said as Rarity handed her a cup of tea. “If you would just let me explain why I'm not letting you do this heist, you'll understand when you can do the heist.”

“When I...what?! I can do it right now! Why do I need to hear some stupid lecture?!”

Twilight let out a huge groan. “Ugh...would you just-” Fluttershy then jumped between the two, putting her hooves over both of their mouths. “Both of you need to calm down.” She said in a calm voice as she began to stare at the two. The two slowly nodded their heads and Rainbow sat down. After a few seconds of silence, Twilight spoke up, “Okay Rainbow, let me explain why you can't do the heist.”

“Grrr...” snarled Rainbow.

“I'm not letting you do this heist because you're reckless.”

“Reckless?! That's it?!”

“No. You are also immature, brash and a crazed daredevil.” Twilight took a sip of tea. “But the recklessness is the main reason. Rainbow, do you remember what happened on our last heist?”

“Yeah. We got in that mansion and stole the Jewel of Purple Lightning! It was so awesome! You guys got in and distracted the crime ponies while I swooped in and got the jewel!”

“Yes.” Twilight said a she let out a snort. “However, when you did your 'swooping in'...you alerted the guards. If it hadn't been for Rarity and Applejack knocking them out, we would have been caught.”

“So what?! Who cares?! I mean, we got the jewel didn't we?!”

Twilight slammed her hoof down. “Ugh...I can't believe you...listen Rainbow, I told you before, I try to make sure every move we do in all of our heists are precise and accurate. There is little to no room for error.”

“So?” Rainbow looked away with a smirk.

“Rainbow...why did you join this team?”

“Because you asked me too...and I had nothing else I could do.” Rainbow said in a sour tone.

“Exactly. That's why you're reckless.”

“Why does that make me reckless?”

Twilight crossed her hooves. “Simple. You don't have a goal in your life anymore. That's why you're reckless.”

The Present...

'No goal...yeah, that was definitely true back then...' thought Rainbow as continued to look out the cabin window. 'But that's no longer true is it Twilight? Now...now I know what I have to do...'

“The train's stopping!” Scootaloo said with a cheerful glee. She shook Rainbow as she tried to show Rainbow they had arrived. “We're at Ponyville!”

“Yeah yeah...I know.” Rainbow said with a slight yawn. She stretched her wings as the two began to exit the train. Scootaloo looked at her body and asked, “So...you think anypony will recognize me? I mean, I know we colored my fur and mane but...”

Rainbow patted her on the back. “It'll be fine kiddo! I know you still can't use a disguise ring but we dyed your mane and fur, nopony will recognize you.”

“Thanks...”

“I know we still have to disguise you because you ran away from here...but its fine. I mean, we can still go out in public even without the pardons. It'll be fine.”

“Yeah...you're right big sis!” Scootaloo said with a huge smile.

“Now, we told Fluttershy we were coming and she's gonna let us stay here for the night. Then tomorrow we go to Cloudsdale and before you know it, I'm gonna win the Best Young Flyer Competition!”

“Yeah! And I'll be there to cheer you on!” Scootaloo said with stars shining in her eyes. “Hopefully we can convince Fluttershy to come too!”

“Yeah...” Rainbow said in an embarrassed tone. “I kinda doubt that...she doesn't have the best record with Cloudsdale...but maybe we can get her to come...”

“Okay!” Scootaloo nodded. The two soon found themselves in Ponyville where they slowly walked to Fluttershy's house. As the two entered the house, a pink pony suddenly appeared yelling, “Welcome back!”

“Hey Pinkie!” Scootaloo said with a giant grin. The two quickly exchanged a hug as Rainbow patted Pinkie's head. “Good to see you pink head!”

“Good to see you too Rainbow!” Pinkie said as her hoof extended in a cartoon fashion as it grabbed Rainbow in a hug as well. As the three made another hug, Rainbow noticed the other two ponies in the room and gave them a wave.

“Hello darling. It's nice to see again.” Rarity said as she sipped a cup of tea. Fluttershy walked up and gave a wave of her hoof. “Yes. It's good to see you again, Rainbow and Scootaloo.”

“Its good to see you too!” Rainbow said with a grin. She looked around the room and asked, “Say...where's Applejack? Don't tell me she's still avoiding us?!”

“Sorry to say darling, but she is. In fact, due to her attitude, she's been kicked off her farm.”

“Really?!”

“Yes. If you want my opinion though, she deserved it. Apparently she got into several arguments with her family and left Ponyville.”

“Huh.” Rainbow wasn't sure how to respond. Thankfully, Rarity was already ready to change the subject. “So tell me darling, are you ready?”

Rainbow gave a determined grin. “Yes. I'm here to win!” Rarity showed her usual flair as she gave Rainbow a wink. “That's good darling. Twilight would be proud, just like us.”

“Yeah...she would. Especially since I'll being doing this in front of the Wonderbolts and Princess Celestia...” Rainbow said as her head lowered a little.

“Now now Rainbow,” Rarity said as she patted Rainbow. “Don't think about them, just think about winning.”

“I know...it's just...” Rainbow stuttered. “I'll be seeing the pony that send those two unicorns that ruined the Rainbooms!”

“It's fine Rainbow. Don't worry about it.” Rarity said, now hugging Rainbow. The others followed suite in the hug. “We're here for you and we know you'll win. Don't let her get to you.”

“Thanks...” Rainbow said with a big smile, tears about to appear in her eyes. “Don't worry, with your guys support...I'll win for sure!”

The next day...

“Thanks for coming Fluttershy, though you didn't have too...” Rainbow said as the three began to fly up to Cloudsdale. “I know Rainbow...but...um...I want to support you no matter what.”

“Yeah...thanks.” The trio soon saw Cloudsdale in the distance. “There it is! You two ready?”

“Yeah!” “I...um...I'm ready!”

Rainbow looked at Cloudsdale as it got closer and closer. There, she could think of one thing, 'Here we go...this is the beginning of my new dream! Just watch me Equestria...I'll blast all of you away!'

Meanwhile...

“Ugh...how much longer till we get there?!” groaned a small filly. “Can't this train go any faster?!”

“I know Diamond...I know...” said another filly as she flipped through her book. “Just a little bit more and we'll get there.”

“I know Silver...I can't believe we had to wait this long for this...” Diamond Tiara said as she crossed her hooves in frustration. “I can't believe we had to wait till summer break...”

“I know. However, we haven't mastered dark magic so we can't make up our own rules yet. We're still fillies Diamond, and for right now we need to make sure the adults aren't onto us.” Silver said as she closed her book. “Besides, we're almost there.”

“Yeah...so what do we do when we get there?”

Silver readjusted her glasses with a grin. “According to my research...what we're looking for is thankfully open to the public. When we get there, we'll head to the Canterlot Royal Gardens. There's a certain statue there that we'll need to see...”

Author's Note:

Here it is...sorry that its so underwhelming...but I kinda have to do it. This arc will be very important for a later part of the story and...I'm sorry. Don't worry, after this arc, we'll go back to Twilight and the debates will probably start up again...

Note: I also recently hit 50 followers! Because of this, I set up a Q&A blog post and if you would to ask me something, here it is : here. (The Q&A will only be open for a week though.)

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!

PreviousChapters Next