• Published 6th Feb 2015
  • 784 Views, 61 Comments

The Super Awesome Story About Stuff - BlackRoseRaven



Tournament of Canterlot charity story. A group of very different ponies end up trapped together in a world that obeys the whims of a group of Draconequui and their audience.

  • ...
4
 61
 784

Dungeons And Dragons

Author's Note:

You can contribute to charity and modify the course of this story by donating HERE and sending me a private message here on FIMFiction detailing what you'd like to see next. Anything goes, and all you have to do is give a one-time donation of any amount. The larger the donation, the more detail goes into your idea and the larger the effect it has on the story.
Example: "Include a feisty cabaret scene.." Well if you give me a dollar I'll add in a few paragraphs about dancing and then get back to business. If you give me ten dollars I would probably derail the story for a chapter and make Scrivener and Twilight argue about the book written by Christopher Isherwood, and then have Karl lead them all, including a sulky Luna, on some amusing dramatic musicky schtick. Ultimately I won't make the entire story into a musical because I did that before and it all went horribly horribly wrong but I can totally add in dancing and singing.
I swear this time it won't end in everyone dying. Probably.
So please donate. Your time, money, and ideas are all very much appreciated.

Chapter Five: Dungeons And Dragons
~BlackRoseRaven

The train chugged steadily onward towards the tower in the distance, while Luna leaned meditatively in the window, her expression a mix of irritation and quiet concern. Twilight could understand why: usually they could sense each other, but in this case, they couldn't feel Scrivener's presence at all... and while any place was probably better than North Neigh, an ominous-looking tower wasn't precisely where they had wanted to find Scrivener Blooms.

“'Tis probably some great and stupid metaphor.” Luna grumbled, which was quite a surprisingly intelligent thought from a mare who generally spent all her time punching things and making fun of other ponies. “Well, aye, I do have my moments of braininess. 'Tis not often, but one cannot always count on Scrivy nor Twilight to make intelligent decisions. Both can be very foolish.”

Twilight looked sourly at Luna, as Marina awkwardly cleared her throat and River Styx only grunted. Shiny was asleep in a seat a few rows down under an oversized sweater they had found in the luggage compartment, and Luna softened a little as she turned her eyes towards the foal before she said quietly: “He will not like it, but I think 'tis best if we leave him here while we explore the tower. Do all of thee agree?”

Marina frowned a bit as River Styx looked up in half-hidden surprise, and Twilight hesitated... but then finally nodded, and the others seemed to agree to let the purple mare speak for all of them when she said quietly: “It seems safe enough here on the train. Besides, the Director doesn't seem... malicious. I think the play is more focused on us, it seems like Shiny...”

“Aye, he is...” Luna couldn't think of the words, so instead she simply looked at Twilight, who smiled in agreement after a moment and nodded. The two studied each other silently, and then Twilight blushed a bit and Luna chuckled before she slid a foreleg around the mare, gazing at her tenderly.

River Styx only rolled his eyes as his genet chirped on his head, while Marina smiled a little. The silence spiraled out, but it was not completely uncomfortable as Twilight closed her eyes, even as she shifted a little closer to Luna... but after a few moments, the peaceful interlude was interrupted by the faint squealing of metal on metal, and the rumbles increased before the train finally slowed to a halt with a gasp, as if it were a living thing, as if-

“Enough, Narrator.” complained an all-too-familiar voice as the exit door slid open, the Director poking his head in through this. He looked exhausted, rubbing slowly at his face before he gestured a few times with a hoof, mumbling: “Come on, come on. Magic hour, and all that...”

“'Tis not the witching hour. 'Tis more like dawn.” Luna grumbled, glancing out the window, but when the others left, she followed after them without further complaint. She paused beside Shiny, however, as the others filed to the doorway, then peered back and forth before quickly tucking the little foal in, then hurrying out after the others.

She hopped out onto the empty train platform, which was little more than a wide concrete block... and her eyes widened as they locked immediately on a large table set up under a suspended tarp, where the Director was explaining to the other 'actors' of the play: “-so help yourselves because union rules say this is the only time I have to feed you, and-”

Luna barreled towards the table, seizing a carafe of coffee before she upturned it over her mouth, guzzling down the black liquid greedily. Her eyes bulged after a moment, and she turned and spat violently several times as Marina mouthed wordlessly and River Styx dropped his face in a hoof, before the sapphire mare blurted, ignoring the fact her mouth was steaming from the heat: “This is not coffee!”

“It's decaf.” the Director said tiredly. Luna glared at him, then her eyes locked on the paper cup in the Director's hoof, but the Draconequus immediately stood on his hind hooves and glared at her balefully, holding the coffee cup out of reach. “Oh, no no no! This is mine! There's plenty for you right there, in that big keg right there!”

Luna moodily glanced towards the large, silver barrel-shaped object, and Twilight sighed as she strode over, already picking up paper cups with telekinesis. “I'll get it for you. Marina, River, do you want a cup, too? And maybe we should wake Shiny up after all...”

“The foal will be taken care of, craft services will do something nice for him. Child labor laws and all that.” grumbled the Director, as he settled back down and sipped at his coffee, the stallion looking grouchily over them before he sighed and gestured towards the tower in the distance. It was massive and terrifying, made of heavy, smooth black brick and with what looked like a single balcony high above. “Alright. Here's what we're doing.

“Up at the top of this tower is Scrivener Blooms. We don't really have the budget for an expansive set, so... expect a lot of stairs and a few...” The Director shifted a little, tilting a hoof back and forth. “Slight modification of space and physics. Possibly also time as well, but we'll see how that goes.”

Luna scowled, even as she picked up a cookie from the table and shoved the entire thing into her muzzle, chewing loudly. River Styx, meanwhile, had only accepted a cup from Twilight, sipping slowly at his coffee before he asked: “Why don't Twilight and Luna just fly up and get him?”

Luna brightened at this, and the Director groaned before he looked up and shouted: “Narrator, if you would?”

Just as Luna began to ready herself to leap into the air, there was a terrible crackle of lighting, great and ominous streaks of electricity rending the air asunder all around the tower. They bounced and crackled over the black stone in great flashes as the sky itself seemed to rumble with laughter, like the air above was mocking them, daring them to leap into the great and terrible bug-zapper of clouds, where they would surely be fried like insects within the endless nettling of-

“Yes. We get it.” the Director said sourly, glaring at the sky. Which was a mistake, as this apparently hurt the sky's feelings, and it immediately retaliated with a blast of lightning that hammered down into the poor dragon-tailed pony.

The Director howled as electricity sparked over his body, jittering backwards before he fell over with a thump, smoldering faintly as one leg kicked in the air and his coffee cup, alas, rolled out of his hoof and off the edge of the platform, spilling its contents as it went, leaving a sad trail of sweet-smelling blood behind it thanks to the fact that the Director had put enough milk and sugar in it to bake a cake.

Luna strode over to the Director, then leaned down and began to poke at him with her horn. The Director only twitched a few times, and Marina winced before she asked hesitantly: “Is he okay?”

“No, he is not.” Luna said cheerfully, and then she turned around and trotted back to the table, picking up various sweets and cookies and candies to shove quickly into her mane as the others stared at her, and Twilight rolled her eyes before walking over to the Draconequus to study him nervously.

“He's unconscious, that's all.” Twilight said after a moment, even as she reached down to carefully take the Draconequus' pulse. “Feels... normal, from what I can tell. His magic is a little strange, though... I mean, not Draconequus strange, but-”

The Director's eyes snapped open, and he wheezed and flailed wildly at Twilight, making the purple mare wince as she staggered away from him before he blurted: “No... touching! All of you, that... break is over! Narrator, set the scene!”

Luna began to open her mouth... but then she and her allies were whisked away, finding themselves suddenly in front of a massive pair of double doors that led into the ominous tower. Here within the tower was their prize: Scrivener Blooms, the Marquise that had been captured by the evil Lord Karl for his nefarious... nefarity.

“'Tis quite an epic opening.” Luna Brynhild remarked mildly. “Thou sounds as if thou hast had lessons in thy craft from Scrivy himself.”

Yes, she was mouthy and irritating, but by both folly and fortune, Luna Brynhild had become the leader of this party, and had sworn that come hell or high water, she would rescue Scrivener Blooms. She was outfitted in the splendid white armor of the Moon Knights, a great and secret order that drew upon the might of the moon. And upon her back was holstered her fearsome sword, the enchanted Cutstorm, while at her side hung the mighty hammer of the thunder god, Thornar.

Luna blinked in surprise as the armor appeared over her body, so polished it was almost painful to the eyes. And she was not alone in receiving such surprising gifts, either, she saw, when she looked over her shoulder.

For no, she did not venture alone! There, was Twilight Morgan, Second Horn of the Order of Shadows, dressed in the robes of the cunning and cruel deity Dementor, He Of Dark Watchful Eyes. Around her neck hung the Mind of Throg'ull, an eerie green ruby that allowed for communication with the spirits who roamed the Aethermist.

“I'm pretty sure that just makes it an emerald.” Twilight mumbled, as she awkwardly lifted the gemstone by the golden chain, her heavy, flowing robes billowing around her as she shifted uncomfortably. “Also I don't know how I'm supposed to move in these.”

The might of these two ponies was supplemented further by the noble skillmaster, River Styx. For he was not merely a multiclass rogue, as his simple if stylish leather armor would have you believe. River Styx was no master of any craft, but instead had learned a little of everything, and was twice the thief any of the other ponies would ever be, with his trusty lockpicks supplemented by both magic and his inestimable animal companion, who was dressed rather cutely in his own matching armor and little cap.

The genet chirped happily on River Styx's fedora-covered head, as the stallion scowled horribly, glaring straight ahead at the doors from beneath the brim of the worn hat. “Let's just get this over with.”

And last, but not least, of course, was their tracker and master – or mistress, one should say – of the wildlands, who was capable of channeling the spirits of beasts and mimicking the powers of her foes. The druid of Audumbla, Marina, in her mighty raiment of animal hides, belts studded with magical and natural gemstones wrapped about her limbs and the sacred stone known as Kolkameth's Eye hanging around her neck, glowing supernaturally with a supernatural blue glow.

Marina smiled lamely as she shifted a little, glancing down for a moment before she winced as she reached up and nervously rubbed a hoof through her mane, asking awkwardly: “Why is there hay in my mane?”

The only possible answer to Marina's question was clearly because nature. But one would think that such a high-level druid would know that already.

The chocolate mare grimaced and hurriedly brushed some of the offending straw out of her mane, while Luna flexed lightly, hopping back and forth in her armor before she complained: “'Tis all loose and showy! And heavy, damnation, what a mess thou hast made... worse yet, look at me! I am as polished and blocky as Celestia's rump!”

But in spite of her complaints, as a righteous and ardent knight, all the same Luna would bear through these trivial insecurities in order to achieve her objective, which was to rescue the Marquise after defeating the evil Lord Karl.

Luna perked up slightly at this, halting in pawing at the uncomfortable armor to ask with interest: “And is Karl aware of this?”

At the moment, the terrible Lord Karl was not aware of their ingress upon his lair, although he is certainly making preparations for visitors later in the evening. Their only hope is to ambush the fearsome Lord Karl before he has time to prepare his evil rituals, which will surely grant him the powers he needs to defeat these four brave heroes, the last hope to save Marquise Blooms from becoming a virgin sacrifice.

“Thou insults me! I have left no part of Scrivener Blooms untouched and unmolested!” Luna declared loudly, and she flicked her horn forwards, unsheathing her sword in a violent swing as Twilight winced backwards and River Styx leaned away, Marina staring as Luna swung her sword back and forth with a distinct lack of skill. “Now, open these doors, Narrator! Reveal the way forth or I shall batter them down with my rage and splendor!”

“Luna, maybe you should put down the sword. We've been over this in the past.” Twilight said awkwardly, but Luna only huffed as she spun the sword at her side with telekinesis before thrusting it back towards Twilight, grinning as she made the blade halt only a few inches from the purple mare's face.

“See? I am perfectly in control.” Luna proclaimed, and then she spun back towards the door, spinning the sword rapidly on either side of her-

The blade clanged loudly against the ground, and Luna flinched and accidentally flung the sword into the doors with telekinesis, creating another tremendous bang before the sword fell to the ground with a rattling clamor. An awkward silence fell for a moment as Twilight sighed tiredly and River Styx looked up towards the sky for patience.

Luna carefully picked up her sword with telekinesis, guiding it awkwardly to the sheath on her back as she gave an embarrassed grin over her shoulder. Then she cleared her throat as she looked pointedly ahead, saying awkwardly: “Well, onward then. We should... cease wasting time.”

As if in agreement with her, the doors in front of the four ponies rumbled loudly before swinging slowly, ominously open with a gasp of cold mist, almost like the tower was inviting them inside to the firelit halls within, as if it was challenging these four intrepid adventurers to venture into the unknown and perilous innards of-

Luna trotted across the threshold impatiently, huffing loudly as she complained: “'Tis almost not even worthwhile to try and save Scrivener Blooms at this rate. We shall be enduring a dungeon of endless prattle, for what reward? More complaining and whining!”

She paused, then added thoughtfully: “But, on the other hoof, once we save Scrivy, 'twill vex him terribly to have been saved by a group of mares and... aye, I suppose thou art a stallion, or close enough, River Styx. Not quite so great a stallion as I, of course, but still.”

River Styx looked sourly at Luna as the genet on his head rubbed soothingly at one of the stallion's ears. Luna only winked at him, then spun around and strode forwards, boldly leading the way into the tower as her companions followed.

The moment they were inside, the mighty doors swung closed behind them, slamming with an ominous bang. Luna paused and frowned, surveying the entrance hall: there were large doors on either side of the wide room, and twin staircases that spiraled around one-another in a helix of white and black stone, apparently leading upwards to the next floor.

The winged unicorn walked over plush carpet, scowling at the feel of it beneath her hooves as Twilight surveyed the suits of armor and gorgeous décor that hung from the walls. The purple mare grimaced a bit after a moment as she noted there were portraits of the same pony in different poses everywhere: she would not be wrong if she guessed that was Karl and his ego at work. “Is that what Karl actually looks like?”

“He looks like a froof.” Luna said mildly, glancing at a grinning portrait of a stallion with a slicked-back mane who would clearly describe himself as 'roguish.' She stopped in front of the twin staircases, studying them meditatively before she glanced over her shoulder, saying thoughtfully: “And this is far too easy. Check the doors.”

Marina and Twilight traded looks, then the mares strode to the double doors on either side of the room as River Styx approached the stairs. His horn glowed slightly as he drew his eyes quickly along the steps, before he muttered: “Feels like a trap, but I can't find the trigger.”

Luna grunted, glancing over at the stallion before she replied: “Aye, 'tis likely a hidden line of runes upon the stairs themselves, 'twill not activate until we pass it. But perhaps, skillful rogue, thy abilities shall come in useful and thou can disable this when we come upon it.”

River Styx scowled at Luna, but the sapphire mare only grinned before she suddenly reached up and slapped the stallion on the shoulder, making him wince. “Thou art too serious! Aye, thou could learn a thing or two from my handsome brother, Styx, about letting go and laughter. I am only teasing.”

The stallion grunted at her as the genet chirped on his head, before Styx said: “You know, you always seem to be teasing or making some bad joke or-”

“Aye, yes, I am.” Luna interrupted, before she shrugged and said mildly: “I find there are two things in life I am very good at. One is being obnoxious and 'free-spirited,' as Twilight kindly puts it. The other is pummeling and killing whatever happens to irk me at the time. Which side of me would thou prefer to be on display?”

River's genet shrank back a little on his head as the unicorn looked at the sapphire mare for a few moments, but he was spared having to try and answer by Twilight and Marina returning, the purple unicorn saying: “They're either cemented shut or not actually doors. There's nowhere to go but up.”

Luna grunted thoughtfully at this, and then she said meditatively: “Very well. Styx, Twilight, thou shall both take point, so I do not 'set off the trap by accident with mine clumsy stupid hooves,' Twilight.” The sapphire mare looked pointedly at the purple pony, but Twilight only looked dryly back at her. “Marina, thou shall walk with me and I shall do my best not to lick thee too much.”

Marina winced slightly at this, but she gave Luna an awkward smile. She was saved the trouble of responding to Luna's leering by a strange rumble from above, however, which the ponies feared may mean that the evil Lord Karl had awakened from his eternal slumber.

“I thought thou said Karl was primping and preening? And if Karl is responsible for capturing Scrivy in this play, then how could he have been sleeping? Even I cannot sleep-kidnap.” Luna scoffed, before she looked thoughtfully over at Twilight. “Well... I do not believe that I can. Although perhaps in the past I did not wake up with strange ponies because I was drunk, but rather because-”

“Okay Luna, shut up now.” Twilight said in an admirably patient tone, and Luna huffed at her loudly before Twilight started up one set of steps, and River Styx automatically began up the other side of the helix. Marina quickly followed after River, while Luna grumbled and trotted after Twilight.

They walked, up and up and ever upward. The stairs seemed endless, the helix curling back and forth and their hoofsteps echoing through the long, endless shaft of brick they had entered into, as these intrepid heroes plodded ever onward, higher and higher and higher-

Luna groaned loudly, and River Styx grumbled his agreement as they continued up the endless flight of stairs. Marina sighed, while Twilight only focused ahead, apparently oblivious and completely immune to the boring monotony of stair after stair after stair... “This is ridiculous.”

It was perhaps a little silly that they had spent all these minutes climbing, yes: but sadly, as they had already been warned, the budget was a little too sparse to account for a major set, and so instead they were forced to make due with repetitive stages like this used over and over again. Although you'd think a group of adventurers like themselves would appreciate the fact that they weren't being forced to locate their way through a frustrating labyrinth devoid of save points.

After about ten more minutes – or countless decades of torment!, according to Luna – the bold and brave group of adventurers reached the end of the staircase. But River Styx and Twilight both immediately halted as they noted the trap waiting for them just in front of the landing: a line of malicious-looking runes. Fortunately, they were easy to see, and River Styx easily passed the perception check needed to find them, while Twilight had far too many skill points invested into trivial knowledge so she was able to tell everyone just what they were in her know-it-all voice.

“It's a trap.” Twilight said sourly, one of her eyes twitching slightly. And even though these valiant rebels were not dashing headlong into a fully-operational battle station and she did not bear the rank of admiral, she was very much in the right.

The purple mare gave a sigh as Luna giggled, and Marina and River Styx simply traded looks, before the stallion suggested: “If they're proximity runes, we can confuse them out by overcharging them with magic. The runes won't be able to detect us passing over them through the layers of energy.”

“Energy confusion. Good idea... there's a trigger rune built-in, so no, Luna, smashing them will just set the alarm off.” Twilight added, and Luna grumbled but nodded grudgingly. “Alright, let's try it.”

Styx nodded, and the two lowered their heads, concentrating on the lines of runes. After a moment, the runes lit up with magic energies, and Styx jerked his head quickly to Marina, the chocolate mare hurrying forwards and passing harmlessly over the line as Luna leapfrogged Twilight and landed safely on the landing herself.

Styx and Twilight both hurried past a moment later themselves, their horns losing their respective glows as they ceased to concentrate. And after a few moments, the glow faded quickly from the runes, which sparked faintly, as if aware they had been deceived.

Luna hopped quickly up the ladder to shove open the trapdoor at the top, pushing her way boldly into the room above before her eyes widened as they roved through a treasure trove that was filled with piles of gold and gemstones and precious materials. Yes, she knew immediately that they had just discovered the riches of the Marquise, which had been stolen along with their owner.

Luna leapt up into the room, and immediately halted as she stared at a picture on the wall, before she began to giggle. As the other ponies emerged, they looked first at Luna, then followed her gaze to the wall... and even River Styx couldn't help but crack a small smile.

It was a portrait of Scrivener Blooms... except the stallion was dressed in a bright, flowing white dress, his mane coiffed and curled and garnished with pretty red roses. The portrait was exceptionally sullen, which strangely only worked to accent his serious but effeminate pose.

“Oh, Scrivy. What a mare I have taken for my husband.” Luna said with relish, shaking her head before she posed proudly, winking over at Twilight. “And am I not the perfect, noble stallion knight to rush in and save this handsome fool?”

Twilight only shook her head in amusement, and then she looked upwards, pointing towards a balcony made easily accessible by an enormous mound of gold and trinkets piled up along the wall beside it. “It looks like we might be able to climb up there.”

Luna grunted, giving a quick nod of agreement as Marina hesitantly strode over to the pile of coins, poking it with a hoof. “It seems... surprisingly solid.”

Marina was right: as the ponies made their way up the pile of junk and treasure, why, it seemed very much as if this helpfully-placed mound of gold had been fused together under the sheer weight of its own richness. Or, as was more likely considering their limited budget and the legendary cheapness of the props department, it was probably old discarded junk covered in the wrappers of chocolate coins. But none of the ponies were going to look this gift horse in the mouth, puns notwithstanding.

The door led to another long brick hallway that was lined with torches, their flickering light making the shadows throughout this ominous hall dance and twist-

“Um. What shadows?” Twilight asked, looking awkwardly down the hallway, which admittedly was quite bright for an ominous hallway thanks to the fact there were far too many torches mounted on the walls.

Luna trotted into the hallway, leading the way as always, fearless of the bright and yet somehow melancholy corridor. River Styx followed, with Twilight and Marina bringing up the rear, the chocolate mare frowning a little as she said quietly: “It feels like it's getting warmer.”

River Styx nodded in agreement, and Luna grunted, gesturing forwards with her horn. “Aye, there is a foul wind coming from ahead. Perhaps 'tis where Karl awaits. 'Twill be very fun to have an excuse to make it hoof party in Karl's face's house.”

Twilight sighed tiredly, but she had no real argument at the moment: after all, it sounded like they would have to fight their way through Karl in order to get to Scrivener, after all. And oh, such a glorious and kind heart she had to want to offer the terrible Lord Karl such kindness, such a chance at redemption, but the battlemage should have known by now that there was nothing but darkness in the heart of their foe, and naught but greed in Karl's evil, scheming mind! Oh, as wonderful, as noble as her intentions were, still, they were also naive; naive, even foolish to think that a terrible tyrant such as Karl could be healed by the waters of mercy, and it was folly to think-

“I get it.” Twilight said sourly, looking up at the ceiling before she turned her eyes back down the tunnel, adding in a mutter: “Also, what kind of tyrant lives in a tower that's all staircases and hallways?

Twilight's answer was clearly the kind of tyrant who enjoyed making his opponents walk long and difficult journeys, and the kind of tyrant who had very little money to spend on set design and amateurs working in his props department.

“Are there actually other Draconequus or ponies at work here? You mentioned those ponies we saw... keep the machinery going somehow, but...” Marina looked awkwardly up at the ceiling, smiling lamely. “It just seems like you usually create whatever you want out of thin air.”

This was admittedly an interesting question and conundrum, and perhaps it did deserve a proper explanation, which was never quite given. Draconequus, after all, are not really all that self-sustaining: if there's chaos all around but no one there to see it, is it really chaos? Order can sit quietly just fine on its own, but chaos requires movement and interaction; for best results, add one cup of sentient life and understanding. Otherwise, chaos becomes the norm, the every-day, the simple, and that of course is the first step to utterly destroying it.

In this world, the Draconequus are both the most and least powerful: they compose the world and the plays, but they cannot put on such plays by themselves. Even should they create puppets and golems to cavort for them, that is not the same as real life, life that comes from outside the chaos. So they were lonely, lost, and starving: able to create chaos but unable to affect or effect, they were slowly dying in this little bubble of reality.

They knew, of course, they were being watched. But they did not understand by who and how much, not until Plutocrat arrived with his promises and his powers. Oh, certainly, they knew he was evil, and that they shouldn't trust him, especially because such rich backers rarely fund theater companies like ours with pure intentions...

But it seems that when our noble watchers are happy, then so is the creature that Plutocrat brought with him, the beast we call The Redacted. And that, colt and fillies, is why we Draconequus work so hard to do the very best that we can do, and to be the very best that we can be. That is why we fight to please the audience, and why we must be so rough on our actors, and why, if the actors cannot act, we hurry to add them to other parts of the cast, where their varied talents will help us establish even greater sets and plots.

There was silence at these revelations for a few moments, as the ponies continued forwards... and then, out of nowhere, Luna giggled a little before she blurted: “Plots.”

Twilight looked away as if embarrassed, while Marina and River Styx both stared at Luna before the genet on the stallion's head slowly dropped his face into his little front paws. Luna giggled for a moment longer, but then harrumphed several times before looking ahead, saying quickly in a more serious voice: “Well, we shall fetch Scrivy, and then we shall see to dealing with the horrors of this world. Idiot Draconequus, if thou requires me to pummel something thou should just ask.”

As noble as Luna's intentions were, she failed to realize that not every problem can be solved simply by punching it-

Luna huffed loudly at this in such a way that seemed to interrupt the very flow of space and time itself, before she complained in her ever-obnoxious, too-loud, how-could-anyone-possibly-love-you voice: “Thou art an idiot. Nay, all things can be solved by pummeling.”

The mare paused as they finally reached the double doors at the end of the hall: heavy, ominous wood doors banded with great studded iron bars, clearly locked and impenetrable, glowing with eldritch and terrible-

Luna stepped forwards and slammed her head into the double doors as hard as she could, knocking them flying open, and the sapphire mare grinned widely before she straightened and said cheerfully: “There, see! All things, solved by pummeling!”

The sapphire mare led the other ponies into the room beyond, and any reprimands or exasperation they might have felt were swallowed as they found themselves in a massive, ornate hall. Immense pillars lined the gigantic room, these columns of basalt stretching into almost-writhing darkness above, and the floor was carpeted in lush crimson, leading to a monumental throne of platinum that was adorned with the skulls of great heroes and rested on a platform of purest gold. Opulence and barbarism clashed throughout the room: skulls and chains hung from spikes sticking out of the pillars here and there, while glittering gemstones and piles of riches were scattered along the ground and were thrown like tribute before the golden statues of mighty dragons that stood sentinel along the obsidian walls, and chandeliers hung here and there between the columns, their black candles adding to the eerie glow that filled the hall.

As the ponies entered the great hall, there was a crackle from behind them before a network of lightning flared to life in the doorway, trapping them inside this magnificent and terrible throne room. Luna grimaced at this, drawing both her sword and hammer with telekinesis, the former bursting into blue flames and the latter thrumming with electricity as she muttered: “On guard.”

Twilight's horn glowed as she prepared her magic, Marina arched her back slightly as her amulet pulsed with faint light, and River Styx narrowed his eyes, searching back and forth before he muttered: “There's something on the throne, but... I see tripwires, too, between those pillars ahead of us. I doubt that's the only trap, too.”

Luna grunted, her eyes narrowing as she looked to where River Styx had pointed before she nodded quickly: “Thine eyes are sharp. Twilight?”

Twilight nodded, and then she flicked her horn firmly, and the tripwire was yanked out of position with a loud twang. Almost immediately, there was a rumble before a massive cage fell out of the darkness above, slamming down in the middle of the carpeted hall where the ponies would have been, had they set off the trap.

A moment later, a loud laugh echoed through the air before the ponies all stared in surprise as a massive red dragon dropped from the sky, slamming down into the middle of the hallway with a snarling grin as it slammed a claw down on top of the cage. Then its purple eyes widened in surprise, rearing back slightly before it roared in frustration and flung the cage sharply to the side when it saw the ponies had escaped its trap, the terrible crimson giant growling: “So, you're not as stupid as the last band of adventurers who wandered in to save the Marquise, what a surprise. Still, there is no way you and your little misfit band can hope to defeat me! I am Lord Karl Dragonfang, master of this domain, Tyrant of Hakkangoth! The fact you think you can stand against me is insult to my name!”

“Karl?” The ponies could only stare in disbelief at the dragon, who glared furiously down at them, one of his eyes visibly twitching, before Twilight said disbelievingly: “But how? I thought you were a pony!”

“Director!” Karl roared furiously, and there was an audible sigh before the Director was slowly lowered from the darkness above, the ponies staring up in disbelief at the sour-looking Draconequus: he was stuck in some kind of harness, dangling like a fishing bob on the end of a long rope in front of the dragon, who raged furiously: “Listen to these little ingrates! Can you believe it? You promised, you promised me that we would do this scene right! I spent all day getting ready for this part... do you think I can just... change back and forth at a whim? No! I can't! Now you get these morons in line, or I swear to god, I swear to god I will make you rue the day you were born!”

“I already do.” the Director mumbled as he was lowered further, slowly turning around to face Luna and the other ponies, while Karl snorted and sat back, crossing his forelimbs as he breathed out a stream of smoke, the spiky frills over his skull twitching with visible irritation.

The Director looked moodily at Luna and her party, before he only sighed when Luna reached up and gently pushed him, making him pendulum slowly. The sapphire mare grinned widely at this, her eyes widening in childlike glee, but then she yelped when Twilight slapped her hoof firmly before she could shove the Director again, the sapphire mare huffing and wincing away as the purple mare asked the gently-swinging Draconequus awkwardly: “How... did you...”

“Oh, don't ask. Besides, there's no point in trying to explain anything, anyway. It's all the same to you crazy ponies.” the Director said tiredly, hanging his head as he swayed slowly back and forth on the rope. “So instead of trying to reason with you, I'm simply going to say that if you cooperate with this scene, you can beat up Karl. You can beat up Karl really badly a lot, because he is absolutely obnoxious when he gets like this and this is why we don't have him play male roles unless absolutely necessary.”

“Hey, hurry the hell up! I've got an autograph session later and I want to send out some headshots to some better companies than this one!” Karl snapped, and the ponies looked up to see the dragon was now tapping away on some kind of device held between his claws, stubby little thumbs tapping madly over it before he chuckled and muttered: “Yeah, he is a little bitch, yeah.”

The Director sighed tiredly, and then he looked at the ponies almost pleadingly, gesturing out towards them. “Look. Anything that gets broken, we can fix. Just don't kill him.”

“It is not as fun punching a dragon in the face as it is punching Celestia in the face.” Luna said meditatively, tapping a hoof slowly before she looked thoughtfully up at Karl as he tapped away on his little device, chuckling to himself. “But... I suppose punching a Karl is very close to punching a Celestia. And after this, we shall retrieve my Scrivy?”

“Yes, yes, beat up Karl, save the Marquise, get another short break before we resume our play.” The Director rubbed at his face fearfully, looking uneasily back and forth. “But... but there's no coherency! You don't understand how bad that is, and if Pluto finds out...”

River Styx frowned a little, and then Marina asked quietly: “Isn't there any way we can help? You Draconequus don't seem to want to hurt anyone, but Pluto and this... Redacted...”

“Shh, shh, shh!” hissed the Director, waving his hooves wildly in front of Marina's face as he looked fearfully back and forth... but thankfully, there was no disturbance in the force, no tremble or tremor in reality.

The Draconequus sighed in relief, lowering his head for a moment before he looked up and said plaintively: “Just... let us handle this. You do your part, we'll do ours. That's how it works.”

“Aye, except for all the ponies who failed.” Luna said blandly, and then she huffed before absently pushing the Director again with a hoof, making him wince as he swayed back and forth on the end of the rope. “But very well. Off with thee, and think upon our offer, for... I think all of us here are willing to help, for the greater good.”

Marina smiled, Twilight nodded, and River Styx sighed but gave a hesitant nod as his genet chirped happily on his head. The Director looked at them oddly for a moment, but then he simply nodded back before the rope began to raise, pulling him back towards the darkness.

As he rose into the shadows, Karl absently flung the device he had been playing with away, then he reached up and easily slapped the Draconequus as he passed, making him whirl back and forth through the air with a squawk. Karl laughed loudly at this, before scowling when Luna snapped: “'Twas no need for that, great bully!”

“Oh, yeah, because you didn't just do that, shrimp.” retorted Karl, the now-dragon snorting loudly with a roll of his eyes.

“There is a great difference between a teasing push by a lovable mare and a slap by a great stupid brute like thyself.” Luna shot back, and the dragon narrowed his eyes, leaning down with a baleful glare and a snort of fire at the mare, but Luna only glared fearlessly up at him as she added in a sharper voice: “And nor do I ambush or strike at the back of friend or foe. What I say, what I do, 'tis always done to their face.”

“Yeah, right, you're real great.” jeered Karl, and then he stretched before flicking a claw dismissively, asking: “Are you losers ready to start yet? The king is getting bored here.”

“What, thou art no longer a preening princess? I had not noticed.” Luna said wryly, and the dragon laughed loudly... although there was more than a hint of anger in its voice as it turned to glare at Luna furiously.

“Yeah, that's right, I'm the goddamn king! Male pronouns, masculine nouns, and forget the goddamn butter!” Karl laughed loudly at his own still-cryptic, still-ridiculous phrase, before he dropped suddenly forwards and growled: “You gonna make my day, punk?”

Luna grinned widely at this, and then she cracked her neck before saying wryly: “Oh, this shall be fun, Karl.” She paused, then suddenly cleared her throat before winking over her shoulder at the others, asking clearly as she rose her weapons into a ready position: “Art thou ready, my friends, to face this evil lord of darkness?”

For a moment, there was an awkward silence from the other three ponies, broken only by River Styx's genet chirping insistently and tugging at his ear... and then the stallion grudgingly rose his head and said in a neutral voice, even as he readied himself: “Let's... take care of this quickly and rescue the... Marquise.”

It wasn't much, but it was enough to make Marina smile a little before she added encouragingly, in a more empathetic voice than River Styx: “We can defeat this dragon and save Scrivener if we work together!”

“I don't know why I'm encouraging this.” Twilight mumbled, and then she looked up and said in a voice that would be monotone, were it not already tinged with regret: “Lord Karl, prepare to meet your doom. In the name of the Order, we shall smite you and rescue the Marquise from your foul clutches. By the... Mind of Throg'ull, I swear this.”

Twilight held up her amulet and shook it, glaring at the dragon as she finished her deadpan speech in such a way that it would make even Alan Rickman envy her fearless, feckless delivery. But Karl only laughed loudly, for he knew nothing of the art of theater, the overdramatic, overserious, overzealous dragon roaring loudly before he posed majestically, shouting completely unnecessarily: “You pathetic fools have no idea what powers you deal with! Prepare to face my wrath, puny knaves!”

Luna grinned, her eyes blazing as she set herself, the others falling quickly into ready positions as the sapphire mare prepared to lunge... but apparently Karl failed to take his own very direct hint, as he continued to rant in spite of the fact any other villain – two-bit or otherwise – would have leapt into the fight: “Yes, fear the destruction I am about to bring down upon your heads! With hatred and folly, fire and claw, I shall rain down upon you with the power of a thousand suns and the strength of ten thousand hounds of hell! Yes, soon you shall learn-”

“Oh shut up!” Luna finally shouted, leaping forwards and flinging her hammer out, and Karl had enough time to look down in surprise before the hammer slammed into his nose, making the dragon howl and rear back as the sapphire mare grinned and leapt forwards, flying into the air to catch her hammer and then shoot towards Karl's face.

The dragon slapped her away, Luna wincing as she was knocked flying into a pillar with a tremendous bang: it didn't hurt that much, but she was surprised that her body hadn't reacted in time. Then again, by now the silly mare should have been well aware of the fact that she was as limited as any other pony in this equalized playing field, trapped in the rules of the scene they were acting out as Karl snarled: “I'm gonna smash you for that!”

Karl swung a claw towards Luna, but this time the sapphire mare leapt out of the way, grimacing as the pillar was smashed apart. She sent a mental command to Twilight, who nodded quickly before she said over her shoulder: “River Styx, get behind Karl, see what you can do from there! Marina, we're going to flank him and draw his attention!”

River Styx nodded quickly before galloping around a pillar, moving on a wide arc as Karl slashed uselessly at the air after Luna, roaring and shouting profanities. The red dragon's wings flapped hard, sending gusts of wind through the hall as his tail snapped angrily back and forth: there was a strange irony in the fact that Karl seemed to be more of a danger to the ponies he was unaware of than Luna, who he was concentrating on.

Twilight tried to call up her magic, and she swore under her breath when the spell wouldn't work, her horn simply sparking before she muttered: “Right. We need to fight like we actually are these weird... people. So... necromancy.”

“And I'm a druid, which means...” Marina bit her lip, concentrating and closing her eyes: it was just like when she had first awoken in this body, and had to learn to control it. The secret wasn't in forcing that magic to bend to her will, but to let it come to her, to feel it, and make it second nature...

Her body shivered as the amulet glowed brightly, her eyes opening as she felt something course through her before her fur stood on end. Her chocolate form ripped under her hide as short fangs pushed into her mouth and her hooves morphed into claws, her back arching as her tail snapped back and forth and she hissed...

Twilight halted in mid-spell to stare at Marina, who now looked like a cross between a pony and a giant brown cat. Marina stared back at her, back still arched, ears pricked, eyes wide, and Twilight smiled awkwardly before she quickly turned her eyes back towards the dragon, snapping her horn forwards as her spell finished charging to send a sapphire fireball arcing through the air.

The fireball slammed into the middle of Karl's back, and he yelled wildly as he grabbed madly at himself, spinning around and accidentally smashing down a pillar with his thick tail as he screamed: “What the hell was that for? Who the hell did that? Director, I'm going to sue this company for not training these morons to do their own fights properly!”

Karl lunged towards Twilight, and the mare winced as she backpedaled, creating a shield in front of her as Karl roared out a blast of flames. Marina, meanwhile, dodged to the side and leapt up to a pillar, her cat-like polymorph letting her rapidly mount the stone column before she turned and leapt forwards, gritting her teeth before she landed on Karl's shoulders.

Karl yelped as the cat-pony's sharp claws dug into his scales, turning to look at Marina before the mare leapt on instinct onto the dragon's face. Immediately, Karl began to howl, leaping back and forth, smashing himself wildly between the pillars as he wailed: “Get it off get it off I'm allergic get it off me!”

The dragon squealed loudly, lunging back and forth before he snapped his head hard to the side, throwing Marina off before he inhaled loudly, obviously meaning to turn the chocolate mare into syrup with a gout of fire breath-

Luna rammed into Karl's throat, and the dragon choked loudly, grabbing at his neck as his eyes watered, before he half-squealed, half-gasped when Twilight shot another fireball into a hind leg, making him stagger. The red dragon snarled through the tears in his eyes as he slashed at Luna and tried to smash Twilight under his tail, rasping: “I... I am the greatest actor in the world! Learn your place, you... you stupid amateurs! You don't even know how to properly... do an action scene! Brutes and... and commercial actors do a better job than you!”

Karl bit at Luna, but the mare slammed both her sword and hammer down into the dragon's muzzle, knocking Karl's head down with a whimper as he grabbed at his face, and the sapphire mare snapped: “Those who lecture others on what they do not know of are stupid, Karl! Thou art stupid!”

The dragon snarled, then lunged upwards, and Luna shot quickly into the air and out of reach. Karl smashed into a pillar near the throne platform instead, and River Styx grimaced before he snapped his horn sharply forwards as cracks shot through the column.

A blade of force smashed into the bottom of the pillar, smashing a large chunk of broken stone out of place, and the column groaned before snapping loudly as Karl shoved against the base of it. The dragon had enough time to look stupidly up before the pillar fell upon his head, driving the dragon to the ground in a dazed heap as River Styx said moodily: “For once, I have to agree with her.”

Luna grinned in amusement as she settled to the ground beside Twilight, and Marina joined the two a moment later, smiling a little at the mares as her transformed body rippled before returning to normal. The sapphire pony opened her mouth-

Karl rose with a roar, smashing the pillar into pieces as he did so, his eyes glowing pits of rage and hate as he screamed: “You stupid little ingrates are not ruining my moment!”

The dragon lunged towards River Styx as the genet on his head squealed, but the stallion sprung backwards even as he gritted his teeth, slashing his horn out to send a blast of force into Karl's eyes. The dragon roared, recoiling and grabbing at his face: the sharp, cutting wind didn't do much damage, but Styx knew it had to hurt like hell as he looked towards the throne, snatching the object he'd spotted off it with telekinesis before he spun around and leapt off the platform.

Karl roared in fury as he regained his senses, leaping after Styx and chasing the stallion around the edge of the room, smashing statues and skidding through piles of treasure as the infuriated dragon howled: “You think you're a macho stallion? You got nothing on me! I'm a king, I'm a badass, I'm the best and I'm going to squish you, you arrogant little sh-”

Luna shot past River Styx, smashing bodily into Karl between his eyes as she swung her sword and hammer down at the same time into his forehead, and Karl was knocked face-first into the ground with a tremendous boom, neck roiling as his body tried to keep going forwards even as his face remained stuck in the cement. He ended up flopping and rolling painfully, swinging one claw out with a howl, but the lucky strike caught Luna across the body and knocked her weapons from her telekinetic grip as the mare was sent rocketing across the room.

Twilight swore as she stepped forwards, shooting a fireball into Karl's face as Marina lashed her own horn out, and there was a double-boom as the magic spells hit one after the other, making the dragon roar in anguish as he reared back. He grabbed wildly at a pillar with one claw, then snarled as it leaned forwards, roaring out a blast of flames as he leaned heavily into the cracked column.

The purple mare deflected the flames with a magic barrier, but then her eyes widened as the pillar shattered under the dragon's weight and came crashing down towards her and Marina. The chocolate mare saw it coming as well, and her body rippled as she lunged to the side into Twilight... but far too late.

The pillar smashed down on top of them, and Karl stared for a moment... before the dragon looked quickly away, mumbling: “I... I told them not to be stupid. And... you!” Karl's beady, hateful eyes locked on River Styx, who was glaring furiously up at the dragon now as the massive crimson reptile dragged itself to its claws, the beast snarling furiously down at him. “Yeah, you! Since you're the only one left, you better damn well apologize for this whole mess! Clearly, none of you know what the hell you're doing, and you all deserve to be demoted to stage crew, you hear me? Huh? You hear me?”

River Styx only looked contemptibly at the dragon as Karl dragged himself forwards, leaning against the side wall as the dragon leaned forwards with a growl. The genet on his head growled as Styx met the dragon's eyes evenly, and Karl trembled before he asked harshly: “Well? What do you have to say for yourself, huh?”

River Styx sharply snapped his horn to the side, and there was a crack as one of the links of a chain spiked to a pillar snapped loudly, chunks of metal flying in all directions as the chandelier it had been helping support tore loose, swinging down to smash into Karl's face and driving the dragon's head into the wall with a tremendous bang. Karl's eyes bulged, head sandwiched for a moment between the wall and the heavy iron chandelier, and the dragon whimpered weakly before the beast suddenly rippled, becoming nothing but an ugly patchwork of cloth and wood that quickly crumbled apart.

River Styx sighed tiredly as the genet on his head whimpered a little, before the stallion frowned and looked up at a loud rumbling. And he couldn't deny he was relieved when he saw Luna and Twilight carefully shifting the broken pillar off of Marina, who seemed strangely... stiff.

The stallion approached quickly, and his eyes widened in surprise as he saw that Marina's body had taken on a distinct, hardened texture: she looked like she had turned to solid brown stone. But as Twilight and Luna shifted the pillar away, the mare's body trembled before taking on its normal texture as she wheezed a little, wincing a bit and cracking her back with a mumble of: “That stings.”

“Are you... okay?” River Styx asked awkwardly after a moment, and Marina blinked, but then gave the stallion a warm smile, nodding a few times.

“I can harden my body if I concentrate. I'm just glad it was enough.” Marina answered.

Twilight smiled as well at this, reaching up and touching Marina's shoulder as she said softly: “Thank you. You probably saved my life back there.”

“Aye, and thou did well as well, River of Sticks. I am most impressed.” Luna said cheerfully, before her eyes turned towards the remains of the dragon as she scowled, adding grumpily: “Well, with most of us, anyway.”

The other ponies turned to watch as Luna flapped her wings firmly, launching herself on a short arc to land beside a large mound in the middle of the ruins of blankets and wood. Luna poked at this object several times with her horn, and when it didn't stir, she quickly slapped and tore the cloth and debris away, before her eyes widened slightly in surprise as she discovered Karl... and for the very first time, glimpsed the truth behind this overindulgent character actor.

Karl was an earth pony, and a little bit chubby. Karl had small glasses and was snoring loudly, drooling a little as he twitched in his sleep. Karl had a plain, common brown coat, and Karl had a plain, common dark mane, and Karl had a face that wasn't very handsome but wasn't very ugly, and a very simple cutie mark, of what looked like paper with some scribbles over it.

A squeaking of a pulley from above announced the arrival of the Director, the Draconequus lowering slowly out of the darkness on his rope and harness as he held up a hoof and said mildly: “I'll take care of this. You ponies still have a scene to finish.”

Luna grimaced a bit, and then she scowled down at Karl, poking him a few times. But the Director only waved at her irritably, saying mildly: “Don't you worry, now that he's out of character, he'll be as gentle as a kitten. Karl's only a nuisance when he's acting. Character actors, you know. I swear, it's a mental illness.”

“'Tis a desire to be more than what he really is, Director. And there is great sadness in that and 'tis not to be taken lightly.” Luna said quietly, and the ponies stared at her with surprise before Luna grinned her grin and said cheerfully: “Aye, let us go rescue my Scrivy, then! Come, we have not yet saved the Marquise!”

Luna turned and cheerfully trotted away, and Twilight smiled a little as she gestured at the others. River Styx and Marina traded looks, but then the genet on the stallion's head chirped, and the stallion sighed before shrugging and falling in step with the chocolate mare.

Marina glanced back once, but the Director and Karl were already gone: the chocolate mare wasn't entirely surprised, though. Her eyes returned towards Luna, studying the strange mare intently as they drew closer to her, before she turned equally-curious eyes on Styx.

The stallion ignored her for a moment, and Marina hesitated before she gathered her courage and asked finally: “How did you learn to be so calm? To be so... strong.”

River Styx gave her a look, and then he shook his head before saying almost grudgingly, yet answering her, all the same: “You just have to deal with what life throws at you, that's all.” He halted, then added after a moment, even as he averted his eyes: “You did... pretty good, too.”

Marina smiled at this, and then she asked on impulse: “What's your friend's name? You never told me.”

River Styx was silent as his genet chirped on his head, and then the stallion answered finally: “I call him Lamp. I guess you could say he kind of... keeps me in line.”

Marina chuckled quietly, smiling again at the stallion before the two ponies looked ahead to watch as Luna jammed her horn into the large, locked door that was the only obvious exit from the room, the mare huffing loudly as it glowed with magic and she wiggled it back and forth, grumbling: “Accursed thing keeps locking itself after I open it, and mine head won't crack this wretched thing...”

“Try this.” River Styx said dryly, pulling a key free from where he had stashed it in the many belts across his leather armor, and Luna blinked as she drew back before the stallion gestured at the ruins of the throne. “I grabbed it from there.”

“Well. Thou art proving doubly useful now, River of Sticks. It makes thee much more handsome to my eyes.” Luna paused, then grinned and leaned forwards, half-lidding her eyes as River Styx leaned backwards with a scowl. “I think thou may have earned a sloppy kiss from the Marquise!”

“No.” River Styx said sourly, and Luna laughed before she turned back towards the door, sliding the key in and turning it... before grinning in triumph as it clicked, allowing her to yank the door open and leap through to the stairs beyond.

Luna bounded up the steps of the tower fearlessly, before she slammed open the door at the top and leapt into the room beyond. She grinned roguishly, her ephemeral mane swirling around her as she posed in her battle-damaged armor, calling fearlessly: “Never fear, Marquise Blooms! Thy knight is here to rescue thee and whisk thee back to thy castle, with her mighty stallion's strength!”

Scrivener Blooms looked slowly up from where he was sitting on the bed, scowling horribly as he slowly sipped at a cup of tea gingerly held between his hooves. Luna looked back and forth around the room, and then she began to giggle loudly at the sight of it: pink walls, a fluffy, cushy rug over the floor, a huge plush bed covered in stuffed animals, a floral tea set, several ovens and racks upon racks filled with freshly-baked cookies, and from the smell of it... “Scrivy, thou art just where a mare like thee belongs! In the perfect mix of bedroom and kitchen, preparing cookies for me to devour after I ravage thy gorgeous body!”

“You shut the hell up.” Scrivener seethed, one of his eyes twitching as he nearly spilled tea all over his gorgeous, spotless white dress, which accented all the pretty curves of his shapely body. “Oh, great, you got to go out and punch a dragon. Do you know what I've been doing? Baking cookies for the 'craft services table,' whatever the hell that is, the 'cast laundry,' sewing old costumes, and, my personal favorite, being dressed up as a maid and forced to clean up the 'dining room,' which is a mess, which I don't understand because I don't think anyone here actually eats anything. I think it exists and gets messy purely because they want to humiliate me further.”

“Do not be so uppity, Scrivy! A mare must know her place! Take pride in the fact thou art doing thy good wifely duties so well. They even built thee this bedroom-kitchen, is that not proof of what a perfect mare thou art?” Luna teased as the other ponies entered the room, and Scrivener blushed deeply as he glared at them, before Luna looked over her shoulder and announced: “Twilight Sparkle, look! A bedroom-kitchen for Scrivy. Is it not perfect? He is such a handsome wife in his frilly dress, doing all his mare's tasks at once for me.”

Scrivener shouted in frustration, flinging his teacup across the room before he lunged out of bed... and immediately tripped on his dress, dropping face-first into the cushioned floor with a tremendous thump. Luna began to giggle wildly as Marina and River Styx both stared, and Twilight only sighed tiredly before she asked finally: “You okay, Scrivener?”

“Just my pride. The floors are too soft for me to hurt myself.” Scrivener mumbled, and then he sighed as he carefully clambered up to his hooves, scowling at Luna before he turned his eyes to Twilight and asked in a defeated mumble: “Could you unzip me?”

“'Tis not time for that, Scrivy! I am glad thou art eager to do thy marely duties even in front of our guests, but they may not be so excess-bitiony as thou art!” Luna declared cheerfully, and Marina and Styx both looked at Luna for a moment as Scrivener only grumbled under his breath, turning pointedly around as Twilight approached him.

The purple mare smiled as she reached up to carefully unzip the dress, pulling it down slightly before Scrivener cleared his throat violently. Luna immediately perked up at this, but Twilight glared over her shoulder pointedly before the mare quickly undid the corset that the stallion had been forced into as well, letting him retain some of his dignity as the sight being removed was hidden as the flowing dress was pulled off.

That was, until Luna sighed loudly, half-lidding her eyes before she wryly: “All joking aside, that is a wonderful thought, Scrivy. I finally see why 'tis so delightful when I wear such a tight contraption.”

Scrivener simply scowled horribly, and Twilight sighed tiredly before she tossed the clothing aside. Scrivener grumpily looked down at one of his hooves, which was painted and polished a bright pink, and Luna grinned... but when the eyes of the two ponies met, her expression softened into a smile before she asked gently: “What, does thou not like being pretty?”

The stallion shot her a dour look... but after a moment, his mouth quirked into a smile before he said dryly: “If it'll shut you up, there's fudge as well as cookies.”

Luna immediately stampeded towards the racks of food, and Scrivener rolled his eyes as Twilight laughed and shook her head. River Styx only quirked an eyebrow, but Marina smiled a little as the earth pony approached, the stallion sighing before he said finally: “Husbands can be difficult.”

“Apparently.” River Styx said finally as Marina giggled a little, and then the unicorn surveyed the earth pony moodily for a moment before he turned his eyes towards Twilight: since Luna was otherwise engaged in gobbling sweets – which was probably the best place for her right now, he figured – he decided to ask: “What's the plan from here? Do we head back to the train?”

Twilight smiled briefly at the stallion, surprised but relieved that it sounded like he was actually willing to work with them further. And since Marina was looking at her curiously, too... “That seems like the best way to go. This world doesn't have Equestrian geography: the Draconequus decide where we go. But we're learning more about them, and it feels like, as we act out more of their scenes...”

“We're able to interact further with the world. They give us abilities on whim. We can learn how to use that while we look for a weakness in this world's structure, something we can exploit.” Scrivener Blooms said calmly, before he glanced up at the ceiling and added clearly: “And I think the Narrator is going to help us. Because it's not about any play, it's not about the scenes and storyline, but about seeing how we handle ourselves in this world, isn't it?”

While the stallion had an interesting meta-point, the Narrator was unable to reply, because at that very moment the Director shoved open the door and glowered into the room, gesturing at them grumpily. “Come on, the scene ended already. Let's get you all out of here. And... hey, those were for later! What the hell are you doing?”

Luna belched loudly as she stepped away from the table, rubbing at her face and grinning widely as she declared: “I decided they were better for now.”

The Director groaned, spinning away and shaking his head as he stormed back down the steps. And, knowing no better option, the ponies followed, with Luna silently hurrying up behind Scrivener to kiss his cheek quietly when she thought no one else was looking, and the stallion smiling faintly as he gave a quick nod to the mare before he leaned over and nuzzled Twilight as she blushed a little, more happy than he could express – and likely, any pony could understand – that they had all been reunited.

And perhaps, if these ponies were willing and able to trust in each other and use the chaos of this world to their advantage, they would escape the clutches of both the eternal play and the forces that longed to keep them here, for our own selfish motives, our own sad desires, our wanting to enjoy one last flight of madness and fancy before the fall...

Because while everything must come to an end, some of us struggle to hold on, for far too long, to what we should have otherwise let go of long ago.