• Published 6th Feb 2015
  • 12,801 Views, 1,198 Comments

A Different Perspective - Goldfur



An earth pony and his griffon best friend set out with Twilight Sparkle to study other cultures and how to forge bonds of friendship with them. Things rarely go to plan though, and sometimes comically wrong. Then Chrysalis changes everything.

  • ...
58
 1,198
 12,801

Chapter 20: Begetting A New Beginning

Ponyville was a hive of activity. It was an especially apt metaphor as it was the construction of the new Blue Hive that was the source of much of that activity, as well the reason for the growth in both the population and the businesses that catered to them.

Free had moved all his tunnelers to Ponyville for the project as they were no longer needed in the Crystal Empire. The intervening weeks between the battle and the start of construction had been spent repairing and improving the stark tunnels and chambers of the Empire hive for the benefit of the changelings still there, but when the new hive was finished, only the dormant soldier drones would be left behind, and they neither needed nor cared about anything done to improve their quarters. The tunneler drones were close to being ecstatic at their change of location. Unlike the soldier drones, they were fully developed and as intelligent as the average pony, and the mind-numbing work that Chrysalis had been forcing them to do for years was finally behind them.

It was not just the changeling tunnelers who were working on the new hive however. By Free’s decree, this was a joint project between the changelings, ponies, and a few griffons, and it was the latter two who needed accommodation, food, and entertainment, while the changelings reaped the positive emotions of the happy workers. Most of the time, the working relationship between species was extremely good, mostly because bigoted ponies were weeded out of the workforce before they got the chance to foment discontent. There was a huge advantage in having an employment officer who could taste their real feelings about their potential workmates.

Nevertheless, there is always potential for conflict, and ironically a lot was coming from near the top of the hierarchy. That morning, the Herd Path members were inspecting the progress of the new hive which was already making quite an impression on the local landscape. A very large honeycomb-like structure of glass and steel in a dome formation marked the entrance to the hive, and while for now it was merely providing a sheltered and well-lit area for the workers to prepare materials, in the future it would be the main interface area between the changelings and all other species. Most of the real hive though was being built into the mountainside and out of sight, but the exact design had been a major source of contention between the main architects. The foursome became aware of a considerable amount of aggravated squawking coming from a room ahead.

“They’re at it again,” Roseclaw commented.

“Who?” Path asked.

“Techbird and Clue.”

Free sighed. “Not that again?”

Roseclaw nodded regretfully. “Yes, again.”

They walked into the room that was currently serving as the design and planning office, and witnessed Techbird and a male griffon with blue feathers and black fur screeching at each other in Griffish. Clue had wanted to keep his pony persona separate from his changeling work in case he wanted to go back to his pony career, and so he had taken on another form specifically so he could work with Techbird in the construction of the hive. It would be a while yet before there would be harvesters to train, and this put his knowledge and experience to best use in the meantime. However, his traditional views frequently conflicted with Techbird’s modern style of doing things, and arguments were frequent.

Path raised his voice. “What are you two arguing about this time?”

“It’s the color scheme that he wants – it’s all wrong!” Techbird protested.

“It’s normal Blue Hive colors! This is still the Blue Hive, isn’t it?” Clue retorted.

“It’s boring and old-fashioned!”

“It’s normal and comforting!”

“I’m here to bring a changeling hive into the modern age, and I say this needs updating, changeling!”

“And I’m here to tell you how a hive actually works, griffon!”

“QUIET!” Free yelled.

Both griffons looked at Free in surprise.

Free frowned at them. “As queen of this hive, I want it to look exciting and new without compromising what we are. One major thing has changed – and that’s me. Perhaps we should call this the Chrome Hive now. I want it to reflect the new age we’re heading into, so find an artistic type who can find a suitable compromise between you two. Got it?”

“Yes, sir,” they chorused.

Free inclined his head towards the door. “Let’s get on with the inspection and see if they’ve managed to work out the other details together yet?”

The tour of inspection went well, with only a few notes taken on minor things that they wanted altered. On their way back out, they passed by the site office once more. Again their were noises coming from the room, but this time it consisted of crooning and clucking. They cautiously peeked inside, and then stepped away hurriedly.

“Are you kidding me?” Path said incredulously. “An hour ago, they were ready to bite each other’s head off!”

Free and Twilight were chuckling, and Roseclaw responded, “Aggression is very much part of passion, you know?”

Path rolled his eyes. “Griffons have to be the horniest creatures that I know!”

Roseclaw gave him a wing-hug. “And you love it!”

Path had to join in the laughter.

“Actually, this brings up something that I’ve noticed lately,” Twilight said. “There seems to be an increase in general in sexual relations with changelings that is far above my expectations.”

“Can’t blame griffons for all of that,” Roseclaw responded with a grin.

“No, but I think I can blame Free.”

“What? Me?” Free said in surprise. “Hey, if it’s about me having sex with the hive breeders to get a new generation of hive workers under way…”

Twilight waved him off. “It has nothing to do with that, and stop worrying about my feelings about it. I completely understand the need, and in fact knew you would have to before the wedding. I married a changeling queen, and I have no regrets about that. However, it’s because you are a queen that I believe that this wave of sexual urges is happening. Remember what the other queens told you? Well, I think you’re going into breeding mode, and that’s affecting all your drones.”

“But Clue isn’t even connected to my hive-mind!” Free protested.

“Tell that to all the mares who got pregnant as a consequence of your lust spells in the Crystal City,” Twilight reminded him.

“I haven’t done that since!”

“No, not deliberately, but as a queen, you can transmit as well as take in emotions, and I think your control of your sexual urges is slipping as you start to go into heat.”

Free looked shocked. “I was hoping that wouldn’t happen for years!”

Twilight shook her head. “I guessed it would happen sooner. Breeding is your natural urge, and it’s been triggered by acquiring the hive-mind and taking over the hive. You might have been repressing it, but nature will take its course.”

Free stopped and stared at his feet for a long moment while the others waited patiently. Eventually he sighed and said, “You’re right. Now that I think about it and pay attention to my feelings, I can tell that I must be going into heat. The thing is, I still haven’t figured out what to do.”

Twilight hugged him. “You have to decide on a suitable mate to impregnate you. I… there’s a spell… a gender-swap spell that I could use… that is if you really want to….”

Free put a single talon over Twilight’s lips to stop her talking. “No, Twi. I would love it if my child was sired by you, but I know that you don’t really want to become a stallion. It’s not you – you’re very much a mare, and I don’t want you to feel obligated to be anything that you don’t really desire to be. There is one other close to me though who would make a perfect sire, but he’s always rejected me before.”

All eyes turned to Path who gulped at all the attention.

“Free, I never wanted to have sex with you because I didn’t want to spoil what we already had between us. You’re my soul-brother, the one who has always been there for me since we were foals. But just because our relationship has been perfect without sex, it doesn’t mean that I can’t be there for you if you truly need me.”

Free stepped up to Path and put one of his taloned feet on Path’s shoulder. Looking him directly in the eyes, Free said, “Long Path, will you do me the honor, the pleasure, and the utmost joy of siring our child?”

Path smiled lovingly. “I will.” He then kissed Free.

Surprised at first, Free quickly responded. As they were absorbed in each other, Free’s form was briefly lit by magic fire, although he seemed to be unchanged. Roseclaw noticed a difference though.

“Free’s changed into a female.”

Twilight nodded. “It’s beginning. I don’t think Free even noticed changing.” She looked at Roseclaw. “Does it bother you that Path is going to mate with Free?”

Roseclaw shook her head. “He is my warrior and my herd stallion both. He has chosen a mate from his herd and that satisfies me. They will make a child who will bring honor to our House.”

Twilight had to admire her House-mate’s attitude to the situation, and hoped that she could match it.

When Free and Path stepped apart again, Roseclaw asked, “So, when will you mate?”

Free replied, “I’m not sure if I’m quite ready yet. Maybe tonight. Now that I’m not ignoring my body’s signals, I think I’ll know when it’s time.”

“Meanwhile, you think you can ease up on broadcasting your feelings to everyone?” Path asked.

Free just grinned in response.

# # #

The evening family time ended as normal with Streak reluctantly being put to bed. When Path returned from tucking in the colt, he found a slightly familiar earth pony mare waiting with Twilight and Roseclaw. She was the epitome of pony femininity, with voluptuous curves, magnificent mane and tail, and bedroom eyes which she fluttered at him. Her cutie mark was a dead give-away though.

“I take it that you’re ready to mate, Free?” Path asked her.

“Yes. You like?” Free answered as she modeled her new form sexily for him.

Path considered his response before replying, “Nope.”

Free blinked in surprise. “Wha…? Why?”

“This isn’t you. I intend to make love with Free Agent, not some fantasy mare.”

Free stared at Path for a long moment before a smile grew on her face. Magic fire flared, and Free changed form. She was still an earth pony mare, but in Free’s familiar brown fur and red mane, and without the exaggerated feminine features. “Better?”

“Perfect,” Path agreed.

Free turned to Twilight and said, “Wish me luck, darling.”

Twilight kissed her on the cheek. “You don’t need luck, but you have my best wishes anyway. Enjoy yourselves!”

“Do us proud, my warrior,” Roseclaw told Path.

“I will, love. Are you ready, Free?”

“As much as I’ll ever be, I suppose.”

Path held out his right foreleg and took Free’s, and they walked out of the room together. They made their way to the big communal bedroom and got onto the huge bed.

Free hesitated and then said, “For the first time in my life, I think I’m nervous about having sex. How do you want to begin?”

Path smiled. “We already began this morning. Let’s take it up from there.” He then pulled Free into a fervent kiss, expressing his love for his soul-mate, and the changeling melted in his grasp.

“I love you, Long Path. Take me – I’m forever yours.”

# # #

For what happens next, see the Author's Notes.

# # #

It was a particularly lovely sunset that day, and the foursome were lounging on pillows, enjoying the view while sipping on cold juices after the heat of the day. Free was still in mare form as she had been since the day a month ago when she and Path had made love, and she could sense the new life growing within her. They were in the middle of a conversation when Free suddenly gasped and changed into her natural changeling form.

“Free, what’s wrong?” Twilight asked.

“I… I… don’t know. I feel… strange. I… I’m going to….” Her eyes opened wide and she squatted. Moments later, a large steaming egg was deposited on the crystal floor. Free turned to regard the object. “Holy crap! I laid an egg!”

“That’s what changelings do – you know that, Free,” Twilight said with a touch of amusement.

“I thought it might be different with a pony sire, but I laid an egg!”

Roseclaw looked the egg over. “Yep, you sure did. Bigger than a griffon’s too.”

Free turned to Path and eagerly said, “Look! That’s our kid. I laid an egg!”

“Yeah, she looks just like you too,” he replied drolly.

Free stared at Path for a long moment before bursting into laughter. One change of forms later, and griffon Free was back, although still chuckling. “Sorry about that, guys – I was a bit shocked. I don’t know what I expected, but it was weird when it happened. Anyway, I’d better call one of my breeders to help me take care of the egg.”

As Free used his link to the hive-mind to call up a breeder, Twilight asked Path, “Have you thought about a name for her yet?”

“Actually I have. If Free likes it, I’m thinking of calling her Epiphany.”

“Epiphany? How did you come up with that name?”

“Oh, it just came to me in a moment of insight,” he replied with a deadpan face. Moments later, he had to start dodging pillows hurled by the outraged alicorn.

Free grinned at the shenanigans and patted the egg. “My little Pif, you’ve got four crazy parents, one huge family, and a heck of a future ahead of you. Welcome to the world!”

# # # # # # # # # #

Free posed later in mare form for this special commemorative moment.

# # # # # # # # # #

Author's Note:

Mare Free looks so adorable with her egg. =^_^=

This story has finally concluded, but there's still more to be read if you want. There is an extended bedroom scene which is very much NSFW, which has some surprises and unexpected consequences. If you are an adult and don't mind some sex, go check out my one-shot story which expands on this a lot! Begetting A New Beginning

The House of Path returns in The Growing Years.

Meanwhile, check out my collaborator's story wherein Path and Free run a Q&A session at Canterlot University. You can pose questions and have them answered. See the details at Questions and Answers with Long Path.

Also, a side-fic focusing on Princess Iridia of the Green Hive and her experiences in helping set up the new Chrome Hive as related to her mother in Letters to the Queen.

Art drawn by Foxenawolf

Comments ( 74 )

I like it.

There were a few issues with some of the tenses, but other than that, it was good.

Take as much time as you need.

6523143 I enjoyed it as well xD and offspring with free and path is going to be a hoof full lol. All the shenanigans that girl will get into when she gets older.

Heh, silly house is silly. :ajsmug:

"a gender-swap spell that I could use"

Silly Twi, leave that for the 63 stories. :trixieshiftleft:

That picture at the end. :rainbowlaugh:
Femme Free Agent be like: "Ah made dis o.o?"

... I can't help feel we missed out some resolutions to a couple opinion/mind set issues. :applejackunsure:

A modern Changeling hive? Sounds interesting :twilightsmile:

"find a suitable compromise"

Maybe Rarity could help? :raritystarry:
I wonder how that'd turn out? :trixieshiftright:

No you can't! Come back! We want more!

*chuckles* Good story, I rather liked it, I hope you continue with thies storys in the future.

And it's done. What a ride.
So Epiphany came from a moment of insight. Clever. Gotta love how you can come up with quips immediately, bjt serious things take forever to think about.

Onwards to the "deleted" scene!

What was that about having sex with the breeders?

I find that picture adorable. This must not be.

Well, I've really liked this story...but the brother-impregnate thing was too much. Can't say I liked this chapter that much.
Well done on the story though.

Take a break, but don't break an egg! :rainbowwild:
Keep going! ;)

6528609 The shadow was mentioned again in the very next chapter, and its nature revealed in the following chapter. If you have read those then you will know that it was the shadow of death. Path was fated to die, but Mort gave him another chance.

6535476 It was a very near thing though because their paths have crossed on occasion. Either Cloudkicker or Free was distracted at the time though, so disaster averted! :rainbowlaugh:

This didn't quite invoke the same level of lovey-dovey sappy feelings as Symphony for the Rival did in my case, but that is hardly a detriment to the story. Though Free the griffling and Twilight are now up there with musical lesbians and TwiDash for me. Plus, got the bonus of a second romance with Long and Rose, which actually trumps Free and Twilight in my opinion despite how little we see of them being a precious happy couple.

Man, that kid's gonna have a screwed-up family. Especially if Twilight ever does break out that gender spell :twilightoops:

I just have to say how much I have enjoyed this story and hope to see more of them in this ark of story's.
I like to know what happens next as life go on in this world. so I hope you well post more story's, if you can.

Dragonfox

6543480 - That bit of news actually made me sad, and I had to stop reading for a moment. I liked Sterling Shield, and knowing that he died because of Chrysalis' scheming makes it all the more depressing. Still, what a wonderful story! I loved "Conversations..." and wondered how that would be followed up, and this story is truly a worthy successor.

Also, Free and Path finally get together in the end, and consummate the love that was quite clearly there throughout the entire story. It gave my heart a feeling of completeness. Well done, Goldfur.

P.S. - I wish I could have as much sex as your main protagonists do, Goldfur. I mean, Jesus Christ, I'd be an early riser and chipper, too! :ajsmug:

The one major unsolved mystery left at the end of this story is what happened to the remains of Chrysalis.

Running down the usual suspects, they all come up wanting.

A cult of pony worshipers like those devoted to Nightmare Moon? No. Chrysalis had no pony conspirators and only thought of them all as food.

Discord? He had no use for her while she was alive and doesn't dabble in the affairs of the dead.

Another Changeling Queen? They have formed ranks, albeit with some misgivings, around the new Changeling Queen and march into the future rather than the past.

When all other suspects are eliminated, the one responsible, in hindsight, was the most obvious choice of all....

---------------


"So what do you think of the entries on their way to this year's National Dessert Competition, Free?"

Free smiled as much as his griffon form would allow. "Eh, maybe I just don't have a sweet tooth right now"

"Then perhaps you should switch to a form that HAS teeth!"

"Thought you'd catch that! Aaaaaand in this car we have...WHOA!"

"What are....Ohbyallthatsparkles!!!"

i63.tinypic.com/106k60l.jpg

Gustave grinned smugly. "I see you are both rendaired ze speechlez by mon grande creashé-on, no?"

Twilight stammered "That's not.... it can't be...."

Free piped up "so THAT'S where Chryssy went off to!"

Gustave turned and presented his entry. "My magnifiqué créashé-on begins with a oronge liquor infused pound cake with ze zap-apple and grenache feehleng. Most tastay, if moi sai zo myself, but zis eez not enough fair un such as Gustave!"

Free sat on his haunches, a look of awe on his face. Twilight's eyes were huge and her jaw hung limp.

"Does le paintair contént 'imself with anothair image of zee Centairlot Mountain? Does a composair create yet anothair boreng Symphony abut zee Lové een C Majair? Ridicule! Evairy true arteest eez defined by la uniqué engredients zey bréng to zeir passhe-on! And zo I Gustave, le finest pastry chef een Equestria 'ave done ze same!"

Twilight stammered "G-g-g-g!"

"It's pronounced 'grenache'" offered Free helpfully.

Gustave thrust his claws upwards dramatically. "I implaired la 'eavéns fair zat which cannot be be duplicatéd, et she 'as answaired. Le centairpiece eez none othair than le un and on-lee énemy of all zat eez fashé-onabuhl, lé Sad Queen."

Free wiped his eyes. "Gustave, I have to hoof it to you. I can only imagine what Chrysalis would think about this, and it's making me cry...in a good way! This is exactly the way I want to remember her. Thank you for showing us...."

"DO NOT INSULT MOI!"

Free stopped abruptly.

"Zis much could 'ave been accomplished by any low-lee airth pony pairveyair of mud cakés et cow pees. Eez zis enough for le best dezairt maestro een a genairashé-on!?!? I zay NO!"

Free crowed "And I say NO!"

"Indeed, eet eez no!"

Free turned "What do you think, Twi?"

Twilight stared blankly, her face turning a light shade of green. She gulped air and shook slightly.

Free turned back with an apologetic look. "She's still stuck on 'grenache'".

"Obsairve le wairkengs of a true mastair!" Gustave reached for the changeling queen's horn. "By precizé-lee cutteng ze skull and placeng a 'idden 'inge een ze back, we reveal..."

Normally, Twilight would observe the prominently displayed "No Cantoring or Galloping" signs on the train, but this time she made truly impressive speed to the nearest open window at the back of the train car.

"BBBLLLARRRRRRRRGGGGG!!!!!!!"

Gustave hesitated, a puzzled look on his face. "Was eet zumthéng I said?"

Free shrugged. "Some ponies just don't appreciate True Art."

6667587

I found the images didn't load (broken link maybe?)

Sorry about that - DNS problems that I just found out about a few hours ago. I think I've fixed all the links, so you might want to go back through the chapters to see them.

Really enjoyed this story, what a ride. Free looks so sweet with his (her?) egg.
I look forward to more stories about this herd and their adventures to make a better Equs

That's because it's in your history.I loaded it on a new comp that's never been to the site before.

6687766 In my cache, you mean? It's showing on my work PC. It's showing on my phone. I can't find a problem. :twilightoops:

This was at a work computer. All the p other pictures were showing but it wasn't

The pony in the covert art has a cutiemark that looks like a swear being censored, I can't help but think of this:

The two look similar.

This was a fantastic story and my only regret is not reading it sooner. Thank you for sharing it with us, and keep up the wonderful work!

6801730 Australians all let us rejoice,
For we all have our beer...

6802102

OTOH, so does this mean Archer is dead, too?:fluttershysad:

Archer was never mentioned, so what made you think he was dead?

6802176 Seeing as Sterling Shield's squad are all dead. Wasn't Archer one of them?

6803189

Seeing as Sterling Shield's squad are all dead. Wasn't Archer one of them?

Where did I write that his whole squad was killed?
There was a squad wiped out, but that wasn't Sterling's, and I made no connection between them.

6804744 Oh, okay. That's a relief!:pinkiesmile:

6805002

JFYI, Goldfur. I've noticed the host for your pictures has been randomly going up/down for several days running.

Yeah, but that's out of my control. If it keeps up, I might have to change the links.

“Easily fixed.” Cadance cast a quick spell on Twilight, and the young mare started swaying drowsily on her hooves.

“Sleep spell… not fair…” she objected weakly before crumbling to the floor.

6595862 Wierd~~Now who would down vote that comment??:rainbowderp:

*Kevin Lee bows to un véritable artiste*

6807568

Thanks! I appreciate your ...uh... appreciation! :pinkiehappy:

Hey, your story was very cool. But I want to know where the changeling hives that could be in other nations are. Also I want to know if you need an other hive, you can use mind if you want to.

I know I'm late to the party, but did they ever end the slavery in the Griffon empire?

6874443 It's a work in progress, but with time there will be no more slaves.

7000783

(sorry for reporting such trivial typos)

I'm always happy to fix any typos. Thanks for pointing them out.

Village people songs? In Equestria? Too many questions.

It's the Village Ponies! Just roll with it. :raritywink: :rainbowlaugh:

7022112 Nope, not a typo - it's quite correct.

So I've had so many of your stories in my read it later list and I'll be damned if i don't regret not reading them sooner, you have crafted such a wonderful world. My hat's off to you sir!

7155157 Thank you. I am genuinely happy that you have been enjoying my stories. :twilightsmile:

Story was pretty good this far. And I enjoyed the other you wrote.
Well... Sure I don't like main cast x of but I can look over it.
But the more I read the more parts that annoy me come up... Just read chapter 12 and it just feels like you tried to jam every possible cliché into it you could find...

7287366 I think that comic was what prompted me to make that post immediately after I read the story. And I love Silver Quill's dark humor :rainbowlaugh: Thanks for finding it again for me :pinkiehappy:
7287397 --it'd certainly be interesting to know what the alternatives were, when one considers that a "kilohug" wouldn't sound so appealing...:twilightoops::rainbowderp:

Another great story from you. I can't wait to see how the story arc will continue.
It is always sad to reach the end of a such a tale, guess now I have to play the waiting game :pinkiecrazy:

However I wish you a nice week and keep up your great work :twilightsmile:

“Epiphany? How did you come up with that name?”
“Oh, it just came to me in a moment of insight,” he replied with a deadpan face. Moments later, he had to start dodging pillows hurled by the outraged alicorn.

:rainbowlaugh:

7999069 i was kind of joking there

1000'th comment, gg!

Also this story is magnificent.
:scootangel:

I bought you book and recived it today :D

8160338
Thank you! I hope you enjoy it. :twilightsmile:

And I haven't seen any character change at the end of the story. Drat.

Login or register to comment