• Published 6th Feb 2015
  • 11,929 Views, 398 Comments

Shadow of Loyalty - Admiral Q Ponyform



They meant to teach a lesson, instead they destroy a friendship

  • ...
55
 398
 11,929

The Wound of Ponyville Part 1

Wind whipped at Rainbow's mane as she pushed her limits. She was still at Rainboom speeds and was trying to go faster as she flew to Ponyville and Scootaloo. The sun was rising on her left when she caught site of Ponyville. At one time, the sight would fill her with happiness, but now it took effort to stop tears from coming out. But Squirt was worth dealing with the pain. She adjusted her flight to head for Ponyville General and saw the large building at the edge of town. She landed hard at the front door, leaving a dent in the ground. She walked into the hospital and the mare at the desk greeted her.

“Which room is Scootaloo in?” Rainbow asked.

The mare started looking through a folder. “And your relation to her?”

Rainbow rubbed her neck. “Well I'm the closest thing she has to a sister.”

“I'm sorry, but right now only family is allowed to see her.” Rainbow was about to plead more when she heard a voice behind her.

“Rainbow, is that you?” Rainbow looked behind her and pulled up her goggles to see her friend Jetaloo. Jetaloo had fur that matched Scootaloo's, a cyan mane and tail, and Squirt's eyes. They've been friends for a year through Scootaloo. Hay, Rainbow has even babysat a couple times for her.

“Hey, Jets. I'm here to see Squirt, but she won't let me.”

Jets went over to the desk and said, “She can come. My Scootaloo will want to see her.”

The mare at the desk shrugged. “As long as a parent gives the okay.”

“Follow me, Dash. She's in room 75.”

“What happened this time?”

“They tried getting their skydiving cutie marks, and one of the ropes on Scootaloo's parachute snapped. She slammed into the cliff face before landing in a tree. The other girls were fine and got Applejack as soon as they could.”

“So how is she?”

“She'll be bedridden for a while but should make a full recovery. I'm just glad you showed. I know you don't like Ponyville much anymore but--”

She couldn't continue, for Rainbow had put her hoof to the older mare's mouth. “Hey, Squirt's recovery is more important than my emotional pain.”

“You've grown, Rainbow. You're much more mature than I last saw you.” Rainbow just shrugged as they arrived to the room. Jetaloo opened the door, and Rainbow saw Scootaloo for the first time in months.

Scootaloo was sleeping in the large hospital bed with tubes and a heartbeat monitor. The filly looked small and weak. It was hard to see for Rainbow. The filly was always so full of life and energy when Rainbow saw her, but not now. Rainbow put her goggles on the chair next to the window and sat down on it, waiting for her to wake up.

Rainbow was on the verge of falling asleep when she heard a weak voice say, “Rainbow?” Rainbow woke up a bit and looked over to see Squirt looking at her with sleepy eyes. “You're really here.”

“Of course I'm here. Came as soon as I learned about it. Next time, have an adult pegasus with you so this doesn't happen again.”

“You got it, Rainbow Dash.” Rainbow yawned, and Squirt commented, “You don't look so good.”

“Came straight here after a job, hence my Shadowbolt outfit.” Rainbow yawned again, then she tapped the bed. “I'll be staying in Ponyville a bit, so I'll see you tomorrow, Squirt.”

“So glad you're here, Rainbow Dash.”

Rainbow smiled and stroked Squirt's mane. “Hey, you're my number one fan. I'll never leave you hanging. Now, get some rest.” Scootaloo quickly fell back asleep with a smile on her lips, and Rainbow quietly walked out.

Rainbow was just walking into Ponyville proper when she heard a familiar voice saying, “Rainbow?”

Rainbow looked and saw Twilight there with a concerned look. “Not in the mood, Twilight.”

“What? Oh, please tell me Scootaloo hasn't gotten worse!”

“No, she's recovering, but I haven't slept at all, and I flew all the way from Mareapolis to see her. So I'm BUCKING tired. I just want to get to a hotel and sleep, right now.” Rainbow started walking away, when a flash of purple shined in front of her, and she saw Twilight.

“Rainbow, you can stay at my place. I have a spare room, and I won't charge you for it like a hotel will.”

“Why? So you can hurt me again?” Twilight wilted a bit at that. “Why should I ever trust you or the others again?”

“Because we're willing to do anything to regain that trust. Also, do you have any bits in that outfit?”

'Okay Twilight's got me there. I don't have any.' Rainbow let out a deep breath and looked Twilight square in the eye. “I don't, so I will stay with you, but let me make one thing clear: I am here for Scoots and Scoots alone. Any attempt to make me part of your group again, and I'll get a hotel room. Even if that means a shorter stay. Understood?”

“Clear as day.” With that, Rainbow followed Twilight to her library, yawning all the way.

They entered the library, and Rainbow heard Spike greet Twilight. Afterward, he noticed Rainbow.

“Hey, Rainbow, what are you doing back? Making up with the girls?”

“No. I'm here for Scootaloo, and Twilight offered me your spare bedroom.” Rainbow took to the air and landed next to the guest bedroom.

“Want me to wake you when lunch is ready?” Twilight asked.

“Dinner sounds better; I really need my rest.”

“Alright. Sleep well, Rainbow.” Rainbow didn't respond. She entered the room, closed the door, and stripped out of her costume before collapsing on the bed. It was no cloud bed, but at this point, Rainbow didn't care, and she fell asleep seconds after landing on it.

* * * * * *

Rainbow Dash was in her cloud house, but it was overlooking Ponyville again. This had to be a dream, but Rainbow didn't interact with it; she was too deep in thought. She then saw a part of her cloud rise up and Luna emerge from it.

“Dash, my Prized Student, are you okay?”

“Just a lot on my mind, Luna. Scootaloo got hurt bad in one of their crusades and is in the hospital. She'll be fine in time, but right now I'm in Ponyville. In fact, I'm in Twilight's library, since she offered and I didn't have bits on me at the time. I'm still hurt, Luna. I feel pain every time I see them. What should I do?” Rainbow felt Luna sit close to her and drape a wing around the pegasus.

“My dear friend, my Prized Student, I know how you feel. Before I as Nightmare Moon appeared before you all, I faced my sister. She tried talking me down, but in my pain and anger, I did not listen. After the Elements of Harmony struck me, she was more successful. When we arrived at Canterlot after the party at Ponyville, we had a long talk. In the end, we forgave each other for our mistakes, but we have not forgotten them. If we forget them, we could make them again. So watch them. See how they act. If you feel you can forgive them, then do so, but do not forget what they did or why they did it. I have seen their dreams, and they do miss you. So, be there for young Scootaloo, but be mindful of what Twilight and the others do. Things will never be the same between you. The same is true with me and my sister. However, that does not mean the bonds cannot be stronger from that. As you modern ponies say, 'The ball is in their court'. I have taught you well, my Rainbow Dash, not only physically," Luna put a hoof to Rainbow's head, "But up here, as well. Decide for yourself if what they say is genuine. Do not let your pain blind you.”

Rainbow put a hoof around Luna and sighed, “Thanks, Luna. I needed that.”

“You are more than welcome, Dash. I once bore the Element of Loyalty, myself, and I have come to value it more than ever since my return. You are very important to me. You were among my saviors, and seeing the rift between you six pains me. Unlike others, you did not fear me, not even as Nightmare Moon. You are as important to me as my sister. If you ever need help, please let me know. I will tell your boss in Mareapolis that you are doing a task for me and will return when finished, so you do not have to worry about the time you can spend with young Scootaloo. You leave Ponyville when you want to.”

“Thanks again, Luna.”

“What are friends for?” Luna stayed with her, and the pegasus mare took comfort from it. She didn't mind letting her guard down with the lunar princess.

* * * * * *

When Rainbow awoke, she saw, through the window by her bed, that the sun was setting. She yawned and stretched, feeling more rested than she was earlier. She looked around and noticed her outfit was missing. Her goggles were hanging up on a scarf rack nearby, but there was no sign of her outfit. She raced out the door and onto the balcony to the main room. She saw Twilight reading a book on a couch.

“Twilight, where's my Shadowbolt outfit?”

“It's being washed. Judging by your state when you showed up, you've been in it for a while, so while you slept, I went in and took it to be washed. It's drying right now.”

“Okay. Thanks.”

“Anytime. Spike said dinner should be ready in a few minutes. I was going to wake you after I finished this chapter.” Twilight closed her book and looked at Rainbow. “You look much better. Slept well?”

“I did when Luna showed up.” Rainbow flew over and took one of the other couches.

“How has Princess Luna been as a teacher?”

“She's been awesome. She taught me techniques that pegasi have forgotten, and the training has been intense.”

“I'll say. You look a lot more buff than the last time I saw you.”

“That's not all. I can do this.” Rainbow extended a wing, and a ball of lightning appeared.

“Uh, Rainbow!”

Rainbow smirked at the look on Twilight's face. “Chillax, Twilight. I have full control of the Lightning Ball.” She absorbed the ball and folded her wing back. Twilight looked on in awe.

“And that is one of the lost techniques?”

“Yup. I can also make Wind Bursts. A Wind Burst is focused air that can cut things. Luna blew up a rock with it.”

“I didn't know pegasi were capable of such things.”

“Turns out the standard training of today's pegasi is very inefficient. More pegasi would be capable of doing the Sonic Rainboom with even the basics of the Gale Wing.” Rainbow look up and tapped her hoof to her chin. “I wonder why it was abandoned?”

“Maybe that's something I can find out, Rainbow.”

“Dinner's ready!” Spike yelled from the kitchen.

“Well, let's get going,” Twilight said. Rainbow got up to follow, but Twilight stopped. “I have to ask, Rainbow: Why Shadowbolt?”

Rainbow paused and thought for a second before answering, “It's symbolic. The Shadowbolt illusions Nightmare Moon made were to try to get me to betray my Element. When you and the others became Mare Do Well, it was a betrayal, so I thought Shadowbolt was appropriate. Not to mention what I'm doing as Shadowbolt is what Luna always had in mind for the group.”

“I would like to hear about that.” Twilight looked down a bit before looking at Rainbow. “I'm also glad you are doing so well. Princess Celestia told me how proud her sister was of you, and I'm happy for that.”

Rainbow gave her a small smile and replied, “Let's go eat, and I'll tell you all about it.”

Author's Note:

A mustache for anyone who guesses the reference in the title.

Almost forgot hear's the theme of this story and it's eventual sequel.