• Published 5th Feb 2015
  • 3,104 Views, 36 Comments

Displaced Soul - Maddiepink5



A new changeling must struggle with the trials that comes with being a member of a "terrorist" species.

  • ...
6
 36
 3,104

Pretty Pony Princess Palace

Author's Note:

Hey, I'd like to thank my prereader nioniosbbbb. He's pretty cool, and I forgot to mention he did the last chapter too. He'll be in the description going forward.

Enjoy, lovelies.

I sit outside Zecora's hut, disguised as Sunspell, saddlebags resting comfortably on my back. Though I sit within the radius of the zebra's wards, I'm close enough to the edge to see the transformation of the forest from night to day. Outside of the wards, dangerous beasts had roamed, trying to take me as their midnight snack. But now, as the rising sun's rays struggle to pierce the leaf cover, my would-be assailants slink into the depths of the forest to sleep the day away.

I hear the door to the hut creak open behind me, and I feel the zebra's presence by my side as I stare up at the bits of sky peeking through the leaves.

"What brings you out so early? Not to admire the sunrise, surely."

I chuckle. "No. I suppose I just could not sleep. Today is the day I assimilate, after all."

"Assimilate is such a rough word. 'Unite' is the term I would prefer."

I turn to look at Zecora. She gives me a small smile, which I return. "Unite, then. Today I unite with the ponies."

"To be indifferent would be a miracle. Today is the day you meet those you thought fictional. Furthermore, with them you are obsessed-"

"I assure you that meeting them makes me feel extraordinarily blessed." A moment of silence passes between us before I laugh at Zecora's shocked expression. It is a face you rarely see on such a mystical, rational mare. After a few moments, she joins me in laughter.

That laughter soon fades into a comfortable silence. Though I took the opportunity to shock her with a rhyme of my own, it's true that meeting the ponies of Ponyville and beyond is an opportunity beyond my wildest dreams. The cartoon in my world that contained them was a source of light in my darkest hours; something I latched onto with an unhealthy addiction. Fanfiction, art, and...

"Does this qualify as live-action roleplay?" I wonder aloud. Zecora gives me a very strange look, and I blush and look away. "N-never mind."

After a few more moments, Zecora rises to her hooves. "Ponyville is a half hour away. We must go if we are to find you housing today."

I join her in standing, slightly adjust my saddlebags for maximum comfort, and nod. She beckons with a hoof and starts journeying through the treeline, and I follow.

The trip through the forest goes without incident. Though I hear growls every now and again, it seems Zecora's got protective wards on herself. Or perhaps Zecora's presence alone keeps them at bay? I could see the zebra being considered powerful enough by the fauna to warrant caution. She HAD turned an entire manticore to stone to save me- and she wasn't even a unicorn.

Eventually, I have to shield my eyes from sudden sunlight. The transition from Everfree to open space is abrupt, with no in between. Slowly, I lower my hoof. What I see takes my breath away. Even though I am in a plain open field, everything feels different than Earth. The whole world is cheery. The grass and sky are made of colorful pastels. Flowers bloom, seemingly planned, small little spurts of similar flowers grown together. The clouds seem more puffy, and the sunlight seems brighter. It's almost as though I'm living in a fairy-tale. Then I realize- until entering into this world, Equestria was literally a fairy-tale.

Zecora is used to it, I assume, since she merely beckons to me when I pause to drink in my surroundings. I resume at a quick trot to catch up with her. We've emerged at a few minutes' distance from Ponyville, and I assume that even though other parts of the forest are closer to the town, this was the most direct route. As it stands, we'll be entering near the south end of town, where a huge crystal castle shimmers in the morning sun.

I repress my excitement and follow Zecora dutifully.

The town quickly approaches, and before I know it, we're entering the town from a back alley. When we emerge, we're right in the thick of it. Main Street, going from Twilight's castle to Town Hall, is filled with ponies. Judging by this portion alone, the town and its population must be much bigger than the show portrays. But that's to be expected; a self-sustainable town has to be have at least a couple hundred people or ponies in it...

Looking around, I find to my dismay that I recognize none of the ponies. But that doesn't stop me from squealing at the fact that they ARE ponies. Real-life ponies! Unicorns, pegasi and earth ponies alike roam throughout the street. Practically all are smiling, or at least look content. Any who notice Zecora give her a friendly wave.

The colors here, too, seem brighter than life. All the homes and stores give off a joyous atmosphere. The street is made of dirt, just as in the show.

Again, Zecora has to prod me out of my daydream. I smile sheepishly. "Apologies."

"No problem at all, Sunspell. First, we shall go where Twilight dwells. She should be willing to help you out." Her voice turns into a whisper. "Going straight to a Princess will dispel changeling doubt."

I nod understandingly, if hesitantly. If Zecora is to be believed- which of course she is- then the royal wedding incident is far enough in the past that Twilight Sparkle won't be looking for changelings beyond any suspicious behavior. The reasoning goes that seeking the Princess outright, as opposed to avoiding contact, would make my behavior seem less suspicious. This goes doubly so for my- that is, my default disguise's- made-up history, since "I" am experiencing problems with my magic. Thus, it would make sense to approach Equestria's renowned magic expert. Not to mention that the Princess can definitely help me find housing and work. I can't help but feel that perhaps it's a bit extreme of an option, but in addition to the fact that she will be less likely to suspect my true nature, it makes sense that the most powerful figure in Ponyville would have the easiest time settling me in.

Unlike leaving the forest, I can walk side-by-side with the zebra, needing no guide to the castle that towers over the small town. The ponies we pass by always wave, nod, or give us a friendly greeting. It takes all my energy not to ditch my normal calmness and hug every single one of them. My quiet, mature self --mature was a favorite term of my extended relatives to use when they saw me-- always seems to yield to excitement when ponies are involved. Though in such an extraordinary case, I think my behavior could be excused...if I wasn't trying to pretend to be a slightly different pony rather than an exceptionally crazy different one.

Zecora strides right into the huge crystalline castle without hesitation, so I follow right behind her. It opens up into a huge hallway, with a large set of double doors at the end.

I take a few steps forward, looking around at the sparkling scenery. "How are we supposed to find Twilight in this massive palace?" Zecora clears her throat, and I turn back. She gestures to a crystal horn on the wall that reads, 'Call for assistance.' "Oh." I walk over to it, but Zecora holds out a hoof.

"Do you remember the story we contrived? To keep your past away from prying eyes?"

I stand firm and recite the story. "My name is Sunspell. I can control the weather. That's all I remember about myself. I woke up without my memory in the Everfree Forest and you saved me from an attacking manticore. My memory is selective at best, so I was probably a traveler, with bits and pieces of places or ponies in my memory."

Zecora smiles approvingly at me and leans into the horn. "Princess Twilight, are you there? Your friend Zecora is presently here."

The words echo a bit then fade to silence, and for a moment I fear Twilight isn't home, but then a voice rings back.

"Just a moment!"

I can't conceal an excited giggle. That is her voice! Princess Twilight's! I half expect Tara Strong herself to walk into the room, but after a few seconds, the huge double doors at the end of the hall open, revealing a purple mare whose size pales in comparison. But as she trots up, it is clear that she is far larger than myself. At the series finale, she was only a horn shorter than Princess Cadence; now she easily matches that height. Her body shape isn't nearly as elegant and curvy, but that is surely to change with a few years' time.

"P-p-princess..." I stammer. I awkwardly lunge into a bow, but my body decides that since I haven't practiced such an action in an equine body, it's the perfect time to stumble, trip, and land flat on my muzzle in front of Princess Twilight Sparkle herself.

"Er..." I hear the Princess say.

Thankfully, Zecora comes to my rescue. "Forgive the mare, she is still a bit dizzy. When I found her, she was in quite the tizzy. She has a peculiar situation, so I thought taking her to you would be the right decision."

Twilight's analytical mind latches onto the 'peculiar situation' part. "And what would that situation be?"

"I found her unconscious in the Everfree. She seems to have lost her memory. The memory loss seems to be selective, but she knew you, so you were our first objective."

Twilight contemplates this for a moment, then turns to me. "Can you elaborate on your memory situation?"

I take a deep breath. "I do not remember much about myself. I only remember that my name is Sunspell, and that my talent is controlling the weather through magic." This gets the princess to raise her eyebrows, but before she can say anything, I say, "I do not even remember how to do that. I seem to have had a cultured upbringing, as I speak with elegance and maturity, as Zecora pointed out to me." That was possibly the only truth in my entire spiel. "When it comes to society, my memory is very strange. I remember certain ponies across Equestria. I think that perhaps I was a traveler, and that is how I ended up in the Everfree." In actuality, I just remembered ponies from the show- but naturally the show did not introduce us to all the ponies in the entire country. "I don't know much about ordinary behavior, though. My daily life memories seem to be...foggy." The show never really showed a completely ordinary day in the life of the ponies. "So, I know that you are a good choice. You understand newcomers, yes? I wanted to start a new life here in Ponyville, with your assistance." I decide to take a gamble on bowing again, shakily lowering myself before her. "If that would be alright."

"Please, don't bow. I would be more than happy to assist you." A hoof wraps around mine, pulling me up straight. Twilight beams at me, her amethyst eyes shining with cheer. "I'd never turn down a pony in need!"

Zecora steps up, smiling slightly. "If an agreement has been achieved, I shall be taking my leave. I'll return to check on your status soon, perhaps after a week or two." She turns to me and extends a hoof, which I shake. Her smile is one of genuine warmth. "Be well, dear Sunspell." She nods once and then turns and exits, not once looking back. I find myself unconsciously smiling as well.

"Well!" I turn back to the Twilight, who beckons for me to follow her. "Why don't we go sit down? I have three sitting rooms in this huge castle that I've never gotten to use." She gestures with a hoof and giggles, which I join- she has quite the contagious laugh. We set off together, our hoofsteps echoing in the huge crystal hall. "To be honest, you couldn't have come at a better time. Pr-- er, Celestia has been telling me to start hiring some castle staff. Mostly caretakers, since I can't keep this huge castle running by myself, but also some ponies to assist me in my new duties."

I gaze around the castle. It's big, yes, but I am no stranger to hard work. "I would be honored to be hired for your cleaning staff."

Twilight laughs, and I turn to her, puzzled. She stifles the laugh with a hoof and shakes her head. "Sorry, sorry. I just- I didn't mean that I want to hire you for cleaning! There's ponies whose special talents is in stuff like that. I want to hire you as an assistant. A magical assistant, specifically. Help write spells, test them, basically anything magical. It may be boring paperwork a lot of the time, but I promise it will be a good use of your talents." She turns to me with a wide grin. "Sorry if this seems out of the blue, but I've needed a magical assistant for forever! This works for both of us perfectly."

I chuckle a bit nervously. "Thank you, princess, but like I said, I do not really remember how to use my weather magic."

Twilight gives me a look as she guides me through the large double doors. I attempt not to stare at the six thrones in the middle, astounding artifacts that I saw so often on television. "Please, just call me Twilight." Her expression relaxes, and she waves a hoof dismissively. "Besides, a pony just can't forget their special talent. It'll come back to you. At the very least, anypony who has a magic-related special talent can learn the things I need you to do."

That would be all well and good, if I were not actually a changeling who had no magical talent whatsoever. Who was originally a human to boot, and couldn't use the vast majority of her changeling powers, let alone changeling-turned-unicorn powers. I put a hoof to my forehead instinctively. I had gone through too many transformations lately.

"Are you alright?" Twilight asks, snapped me out of my thoughts. I nod my head and smile as I take in my surroundings. We have arrived in a small room with luxurious pillows, and the lavender pony gestures for me to sit. I do so.

"So. Sunspell, I formally extend an invitation to you, asking you to become my resident assistant mage. I'll give you a room here at the castle, and you can try and make a new life for yourself. What do you say?"

I take a deep breath. Twilight is not playing around. She usually struck me as the kind of pony to plan out something like this... maybe she was just waitimg awhile for the right pony to come along? Regardless, saying yes to this question means setting my life in stone. Am I getting too close? Will she be more likely to find out my true nature if I spend too much time with her? Or will she become less suspicious? I have no Zecora to confirm my course of action, but at the end of the day, I cannot refuse an offer to assist Twilight Sparkle herself. I slowly nod. "Yes. I accept your offer."

Twilight beams. "Alright then!" Her horn lights up with a raspberry aura and levitates over a short stack of papers that came from...I'm not quite sure where. When she sets them on the table, I look them over. They're basic documents to fill out with my information. Twilight continues, "These are the work papers we'll need to fill out."

I look back up at her and raise an eyebrow. "I would need to have my memory to fill out the vast majority of these."

She blinks, then blushes slightly. "O-oh. Right. Well, why don't you just go ahead and fill out whatever you can." She levitates over a quill and ink well.

I take a deep breath. Were I to try and use my hooves or horn? I knew ponies could use their hooves dexterously, but I had no idea how far that extended to unicorns, given that they usually used their magic. I had also seen them write with their mouths, but not with a quill, which was too flexible to be used in such a manner.

I then notice the strange look Twilight is giving me. She's probably waiting. With one more deep breath I try to lift the quill with telekinesis. I just imagine the quill floating up in my magic. Using magic with your horn was a bit like having an extra limb- you couldn't explain what is was like to have one. For instance, could a human picture themselves having a third arm coming from their chest that they could move? Certainly not, as we were simply not programmed that way... The same goes for me now. I use my magic in that inexplicable fashion, and a lavender aura weakly sparks to life around the quill. For a moment I think I have it, but quickly realize I don't know how to make the quill move as I want. It drifts into the air for a few seconds, then collapses. My magical aura dissipates, and I am already panting with the exertion.

When I look up, Twilight is giving me a sad, sympathetic stare. "You really don't remember your magic," she whispers. I look down, uncomfortable with the pity I know she is feeling for me. Then I feel warmth, and Princess Twilight Sparkle embraces me.

It feels as though my heart is breaking. She feels pity for me for the wrong reasons, yes, but at the same time she isn't so far off the mark. I've been stranded in the Everfree all of a sudden, alone, not knowing my purpose, how to make a life here, or even how my own body works. It is a dream come true and a curse at the same time. A sadness descends on my shoulders, one I haven't felt since arriving here. But the feeling soon dissipates as I feel Twilight's hoof brush away the tears I didn't know I was shedding. Taking a deep breath, I sit up, and she gently releases me.

"I'm fine," I say, and I am. The momentary pity party aside, I know that I have a lot to be happy for. Like the fact that I was in the presence of Princess Twilight herself. With another deep breath, I give her a weak smile. "I suppose you understand now why I was hesitant to become your assistant."

She nods, then lowers her head. I am not certain what she is doing at first, but quickly realize she is deep in thought. Finally, she looks up at me with a small smile. "You know, I think we can still work something out."

"We can?"

Her smile grows a little bigger. "I'm usually very busy, but I have always wanted to take on a personal student."

My breath catches in my chest. Personal student. A chance to study under Princess Twilight Sparkle of Equestria, who studied under Princess Celestia. All at once, I realize just how crazy it is that I am IN EQUESTRIA, in front of PRINCESS TWILIGHT SPARKLE. That I am, at least currently, an ACTUAL UNICORN, and I am in the ACTUAL PONYVILLE, in the actual FRIENDSHIP CASTLE.

My breaths become deeper and shallower, and as I bow my head, I hear Twilight- the actual Twilight- ask worriedly, "Are you alright?"

I manage to stammer out, "Y-yes. Yes, I would love to be your student."

I hear the telltale sound of magic, and soon find a glass pressed against my lips. I drink the entire cup of water, then take a deep breath, much more relaxed. I look up and smile at Twilight so her worried expression relaxes. "Thank you."

"No problem. Well, I guess we should start getting you settled--" A small ringing jingle echoes through the castle, and her eyes widen. "Oh! It's time for court!" She opens her wings and flaps once into a standing position, walking over to the wall, where a similar crystal horn to the one at the entrance lies. It must be an intercom of sorts throughout the castle. Smart.

"Spike, can you come to sitting room number three please?" Twilight says into the horn. The response soon echoes, "Coming!"

Twilight turns to me. "I'll be back soon, but tell Spike that I said you can get bedroom number seven. Other than that, feel free to brief him on whatever you feel comfortable with." She steps forward, gives me a one-legged brief hug, then flies out.

I smile slightly, touching where her hoof touched my neck. How surreal.

Soon, the door opens again, but its entrant is far shorter than Twilight. It is none other than Spike the Dragon, and he is as impossibly cute as in the show. Despite his scales, he still exudes an aura of warmth and happiness I never thought I'd see in a dragon. Then again, I never thought I'd see a dragon, period.

He stops in his tracks, looking around. When he looks at me, his brow furrows. "Where's Twi?"

"She had to go to court," I reply, gesturing at the clock on the wall. It was just a couple minutes after nine in the morning. "But she said that I will be rooming in bedroom number seven. I assume you know where that is?"

He nods. "Yeah, I do." He extends a claw to me, and takes my hoof when I extend it, shaking it. "I'm Spike! Nice to meet you!"

I smile. "The same to you."

He gestures for me to follow, and at the end of the hall where the sitting room is located, there is a large spiraling crystal staircase. It's a bit slow going at first, trying to coordinate my body to ascend, but soon I find my rhythm and catch my breath at the top. The hallway is filled with identical doors, and he leads me to the seventh one.

"Here it is, bedroom number seven," Spike says with a bow. I giggle at the drake's gentlemanly manner. He was a bit taller than he'd been in the show, and it seemed he was finally going into dragon puberty or some equivalent. I nod my head.

"Thank you kindly." I go to open the door, then turn back. "By the by, Princess Twilight has taken me on as her personal student. So we'll be seeing quite a bit of each other, I presume."

His eyes widen. "R-really? But I've only just met you today!"

I smile. "The same goes for her." I push the door open and wave goodbye to Spike, who returns the favor.

When I turn around, closing the door behind me, what I see takes my breath away. The room is beautiful! It's the shape of a dome, with a high ceiling. Unlike the rest of the palace, the crystal making up the walls and floors is perfectly smooth, glimmering in the sunlight coming through the window. I step forward, soon standing on the luxurious lavender area rug in the middle of the room. The rest is made of shiny wooden furniture, and as I open the drawers, finding them empty, I wonder if the Tree of Harmony created them or if they were moved here. In a burst of childishness, I take a running start and launch myself onto the bed. It seems unrealistically soft, and when I pull away the baby blue comforter, I see that the mattress is made of clouds. It is glowing with a soft pink light; it must be enchanted so that I can use it. I poke at it in wonder, and it gives way like a normal mattress, yet leaves no condensation or anything made of water like a cloud should. I finally shrug and flop back against it, relishing in the relaxation of my limbs.

The bed is a thousand times softer than the cots Zecora keeps in her home. Despite the early hour, I sink deeper into the mattress and relax. I intend to get up in a few minutes, but before I know it, I drift away into dreamland.