• Published 6th Feb 2015
  • 346 Views, 6 Comments

Tales and Paws... Darkness Alight. - RustyKat



imagine. A simple meeting turns out to me much more.

  • ...
4
 6
 346

Sombra!?

Imagine. All alone by the beautiful sandy shore of Ponyville. The seagulls give out a lonely cry, amidst the crashing of the waves upon the shore ahead. The day is beginning to set into a beautiful orange-red glow, when you feel a paw upon your shoulder, and a soft voice responds, "Do not fear... Rusty is here." You turn around to come face-to-face with a purple Yoshi-wolf Pegasus with a pink and red mane. Her kind red and blue eyes, one with a red scar show only kindness and compassion. "You are not alone.... not one bit." Surprised, you struggle to find the words to say. She envelops you into a sudden warm hug, and you absently note she is way softer than she appeared. Caught off guard, but unwilling to refuse a free hug, you hug back. You feel her purr as you wonder how to take this in.

Note remained in the embrace until she pulled back. Afterward he wondered if she perhaps mistook him for somepony else. Still, a free hug is a hug Note would not refuse.
"I did not mistake you for anyone else." she replied, as she pulled back. "For there is nothing more dear to me than a great friend."
"If we have met, I do apologize." Note said with a nervous laugh. "But I do not recall your face or name."

Note gently edged away as to get a better look at her, still trying to make out what she was exactly before returning his gaze to her eyes.
With an amused expression, Rusty replied, "My name is Rusty....And you looked lonely."
"I'm Note." He said as he held up a sketch book. "And I'm not lonely, I'm just sketching out the sunset. This is the perfect time to get the best feel of the sunset before night sets in. When it does, I sketch the stars." Note finished with a smile. "Nice to meet you. I always liked the sunset." Rusty replied. "But the stars are even better....." She thought for a second, before she replied. "I've never met anyone quite like you."
"Is it cause I sketch with my hooves and not my mouth?" Note asked in a teasing smirk. "And yes, the stars are the best. Sometimes I just lay down and fall asleep looking at Princess Luna's gran work above us. Truly a marvelous gift she crafts for us each night." I said as I look up at the sky. The first star already show itself. After a moment, I realize I wasn't alone anymore and turn my gaze to Rusty before laughing nervously.

"Sorry, got caught up in the moment."

"Tell me, what is it like to have hooves?" She asks, as she shifts to her Dark Rusty form. Her gaze shifts back to the stars. "I miss my mentor...."

Note stared blankly at Rusty for a moment. Blinking a few times then rubbing his eyes to make sure he wasn't just seeing things, Note speaks out.

"Well, that answers one thing, but opens up so many more questions..." Note said softly before clearing my throat and regaining my composure. "Yes well, hooves are difficult to little things. Horrid things to have if you want to sketch. If only I had a unicorn's magic or maybe was born a Minotaur or a Dragon who had fingers. But whatever, can't choose what you're born with, just got to make the best with what you have, no?"

Note said as he looked over at Rusty who still seems to be fixated on the stars above.
After a bit of time, Rusty turned her attention back to Note. "Yes.... quite. "
Note smiled nervously, not really sure where to go from there. Taking a deep breath, he ripped out a page and pulls out an extra pencil from his breast pocket.

"Care to join me? You might have an easier time sketch than I." He said as he pat the ground next to him. "I do have extra supplies."

Dark Rusty's attention suddenly turns to something else , and she pushes Note out of the way as she took the blow that was supposed to be meant for Note. "Agh.." She cringed. "G..Get out of here....."

"Chee" Note lets out as he lands on the ground. Quickly recovering from his landing, he rushes over to Rusty's side.

"Damn it, not again!" Quickly reaching into his shirt, Note pulled out a necklace with a black crystal attached to it. Crushing it in his hooves, he called out. "Sombra I could really use your help right now!"

Another bolt of energy was sent out, but now being aware of the aggressor, Note was able to move out of the way along with Rusty. Suddenly a black void opened up just a few meters away. A dark stallion jumps out and lands heavy on the ground. His silver armor glistened in the moon light, his red cape waving in the soft wind.

"What's wrong?"

"Got attacked again, this girl got caught in the cross fire. I think it might be another one of your old enemies." Note said as he pulled one of Rusty's paws over his shoulder to help carry her, her groans letting him know she was regaining consciousness.

"Isn't it always?" Sombra said as he turned around to face the bushes far off, waiting for the next assault.
Rusty stirred, and her eyes opened halfway. "Ugh... I..i told you... leave... y..you'll get hurt...." she said a bit weakly.
"Been there, done that." Note said as he began to move closer to Sombra. "But this big lump of dark magic will make sure everything turns out alright, ain't that right Sombra?"

Sombra turned to face him with a smug look on his face, but as soon as he laid eyes on Rusty, his expression shifted.

"Oh you've got to be kidding me.." He said as he recognized her.

Rusty's expression changed to surprised as she worked to clear her fuzzy mind. "Sombra!?"

"What are you doing with her?!" Sombra shouted out, his eyes glaring at Note.

"What? I just found her, or she found me. Anyway, just do your thing and kill the baddie so we can get her some first aid."

"She doesn't need first aid, she needs a psychiatrist. She's crazy in the head!"

"That's a horrible thing to say! Take that back!"

"Why are you defending her?!"

Another bolt of energy was sent out, though it was quickly blocked by a crystal pillar and ignored all together.

"Sombra I swear if you don't just do your usual thing, I'll write a report to Celestia about your misbehaving."

"What have I done?!"

"Or rather, what haven't you done?!"

Again another blast. Again it was blocked. Finally tired by the interruptions, Sombra sent a death glare at whoever was on the other side of the bush.

"Buddy, if you haven't noticed, we're a little preoccupied. Come back later, I'll kill ya then."

"Kill him now!"

"What's 'no killing' part of the contract I had to sign with you and Celestia?

"Sombra!"

"Note!"

Rusty retained an annoyed expression. She was dead in between the two stallion shouting at the top of their lungs.

Rusty rolled her eyes, as her mind cleared. She flattened her ears as she realized she had broke her wing when she fell upon it. She cringed as she painstakingly re-folded it to a less agitating angle.
Finally noticing Rusty's injury, Note looked over at Sombra. They made eye contact and after a disgruntled sigh, the dark stallion finally walked over a few feet.

"Today's you lucky day!" he shouted out to whoever attacked. "Looks like we got to run."

Sombra cast out his magic and opened a portal. He quickly jumped through, Note quickly followed with Rusty still on his shoulder. They could hear hoof steps running their way as if they wish to stop them, but it was too late. All three had safety walked in and were now in Note's apartment.

"Sorry about that, wasn't very nice of us to ignore you like that." Note said as he let Rusty down on a chair. Sombra was already long gone in his own room, no doubt not wanting to be part of the awkwardness that would arise from being in the same room as Rusty.

"Here let me see if I can get a doctor."

"Thank you." Rusty said, adverting her gaze.

"And sorry about Sombra." Note said as he picked up the phone. "He's usually less obnoxious."
Rusty paused in what she was going to say. I really wish Sombra and I would get back together.
Finally putting the phone down, Note let out a soft sigh.

"There we go. They should be here soon. They'll heal you right up." Note said with a smile. "Anything i can do to make you feel better mean while?"

With out thinking, he quickly began to make a pot of coffee out of force of habit.
"Hmm. I can't think of anything." Rusty replied. "Thank you ever so much for your hospitality."