• Published 13th Feb 2015
  • 1,184 Views, 10 Comments

Sweet Antagonisms - Harmony Split



Applejack invited her cousins Apple Fritter and Apple Cobbler to help out this cider season. Only Apple Fritter arrives and meets Twilight again, whom she had tried to forget and is now a Princess. Will she finally do the important step?

  • ...
3
 10
 1,184

Stargazing

Chapter two: Stargazing




Twilight was pacing in her castle, her mind busy entangling everything. She felt good with Apple Fritter and she couldn’t tell why. Then her weird behaviour as Fritter just showed her her cutie mark, and her staring while she left. Maybe she was sick?

Shaking her head, she made her way to her library again, searching for some old books. She had to prepare everything for the stargazing, and somehow she was excited, looking forward to seeing Fritter again and spending time doing one of her favourite things with her. She looked everywhere, but she couldn’t find the book.

“Spike?” she called, but no sound returned. “Spiiiiiiike!” she yelled, and soon the purple and green dragon showed up in front of her.

“Yes Twilight?”

“Do you know where that old book ‘Stargazing, a beginners guide’ is?” she asked the dragon while still searching around the shelves.

“Uhm, Twilight, you haven’t touched that one since you were a filly, and it burned in the old library. But we have a newer copy here. Just a second.” he said before crawling up a ladder, looking around the shelves.

He searched only for several seconds before cheering and waving with a book towards Twilight. She reached for the book with her magic, still completely lost in her thoughts, and tried to carry it to her telescope. Sadly the dragon hung on it, so he slammed face first to the ground.

“Ouch! Twilight, what is wrong with you?” he asked, rubbing his nose.

“Haven’t I told you? Apple Fritter, Applejacks cousin, will come here in around an hour to start stargazing with me. Isn’t that exciting?” she replied, squealing happily.

This was a new behaviour and Spike started to worry about her “Twilight, are you sure that everything is okay?”

“Yes! Yes everything is fine!” she replied maybe a bit too eagerly and sighed, sitting down. “Ugh, Spike what should I do? I feel weird with Fritter.”

“What do you mean by weird?” he asked.

“I don’t really know Spike.” she paused and thought for a moment. “I feel good around her, maybe a small tingling feeling in my stomach, although this is scientifically impossible. Nopony can make you feel better… wait that is wrong. Friendship can make you feel better but I don’t know her very well and it feels different than with Applejack.”

“Twilight, a tingling feeling in your Stomach?” he raised an eyebrow and Twilight nodded. “It’s kind of... the same I feel for Rarity…” he continued, but was stopped by a jumping Twilight.

“What? No! No that can’t be! There must be a scientific explanation to this!” Twilight said, her voice reaching a high tone.

“Geeze Twilight, calm down! Before we expect the worst, how about you just spend the time with her and then you look what will result from it?” the dragon said, afraid her anger would reach a critical high once again.

Twilight’s eye twitched. “Just…. just spend the time with her?” she approached Spike who backed away, gulping. “This is not that easy Spike!” she yelled the last sentence.

“That wasn’t what I meant Twilight, and you know it! I was saying that you should wait and see what happens today, and maybe you’ll see things clearer?” he replied, hoping she would calm down.

Twilight stopped and sat down, face buried in her Hooves. “But what if everything goes wrong? I don’t want to loose this new friendship.”

Spike put a claw on her back as she began to sob “Don’t you think that you sometimes think too much about such things? Why can’t you just stop thinking about everything and let it happen? I’m sure it will be great, I’ll help you!”

“R-really? You would do t-that for me?” she asked, raising her head.

“Of course Twilight!” the dragon replied with a smile.

The Alicorn jumped up and hugged Spike, causing him to fall onto the floor while she quickly muttered ‘thank you’.

“Heh, it’s no big deal Twilight.” he said, returning the hug. “Now prepare what you have to and I will get some sandwiches and juice done for you two.”

Twilight beamed at him as Spike let go and turned to the kitchen. She was glad to have him. After thinking a few seconds about her number one assistant, she decided to concentrate on her problem. What Spike said sounded easy, but was it really just that?

“Maybe Spike is right, I should just let it happen.” she said quietly to herself while she prepared some pillows and the telescope.

It was getting dark quickly, soon it would be time for Apple Fritter to show up again. Twilight set up the telescope and arranged the sight on Orion. It was the easiest to see at night, so she would start with it. Just as she was finished preparing, Spike came up with a plate full of sandwiches and two big bottles of apple juice.

“Thanks Spike! You’re really my number one-” the loud sound of knocking interrupted Twilight and Spike hurried downstairs.

Twilight heard the door open and a surprised Spike. “Hi Apple Fritter. Mhh what do you have there? It smells delicious!”

She couldn’t hear what Fritter answered, but soon the mare walked into the room, a plate on her back and a smile on her face.

“Hey Twilight. Sorry if I’m a bit late, but two hours was a bit short for them.” she said and put down the plate. “Since I know that you like my apple fritters, I made some real quick.

“Oh Fritter, these really look delicious!” Twilight replied, saliva starting to pool in her mouth from the nice smell. “Spike also made us some sandwiches. Make yourself comfortable, please!”

The light-yellow mare settled down on some pillows, making herself comfortable and watching Twilight, who opened a book and laid down just in front of her.

“Stargazing is something I’ve been doing for years, but you are new to this so I will try to stick to the basics. Or maybe you just want to watch with me?” she asked, blushing a bit.

“Just watchin’ with you sounds really nice, Twilight.” Fritter smiled sheepishly at Twilight, which only increased the lavender mare’s blushing.

Fritters mind went into a panic. Is she embarrassed by her? Maybe she was going too far. Or, though it seemed to be less possible, she shared the same feelings. She quickly shook her head to clear it and concentrated on Twilight again. It was impossible that a princess would feel something special about her.

Twilight gulped and turned a page open. “This is Orion, the one you can nearly always see at night. He’s a good one to start with. Look through the telescope.” she then said, motioning for it.

Fritter stood up and walked to the telescope, looking through it as Twilight continued explaining. “Orion is easily recognizable by his brightest stars, also called Rigel and Betelgeuse. Rigel is a blue-white, and Betelgeuse is a red supergiant, so you can differentiate those two.”

Twilight continued, not seeing that Fritter had stopped looking through the telescope and was focusing on the lavender mare. She just talked until she was finished, before she met the gaze.

“Something wrong Fritter?” she asked, blushing a bit. “Is my coat dirty or do I have something on my nose?”

“No, no, everything’s just fine Twilight.” Fritter replied, a heavy blush creeping up her cheeks. “I was just… just admiring your coat in the starlight, you know.”

Twilight’s eyes went wide. “What was that?”

Before the lavender mare could react, Fritter stormed out of the room, quickly hurrying downstairs and leaving the castle. Twilight just laid in shock, not knowing what she should do.

“Oh no, I just screwed everything.” she muttered, accompanied by soft sobs into the pillows.

***

Fritter kept running, tears running down her muzzle before dropping of, leaving a sparkling trail in the light of the moon and the stars. Her mind was numb, pretty sure that she just bucked everything up and would never be able to return anymore. She just said the sentence she didn’t want to, and then Twilights expression…

She kept running until the Everfree came into sight, slowly turning to a soft trot, continuing her way. Her heart ached, burning deep with the knowledge of unrequited love. What had she done? Her plan was to just spend time with Twilight, not acting that dumb!

The light-yellow mare suddenly found herself in a small clearing, staring right into the statue of Nightmare Moon. Her legs burned from the long run and walk, so she laid down in front of the statue.

“What should I do now?” she whispered quietly. “She’ll hate me now for sure… argh, how can somepony be so stupid? How can I be so stupid?” she buried her muzzle into her hooves, unaware of the cold wind.

Time passed by and she went into an unsteady slumber, dreaming of her future without a loving Twilight. She dreamed of a Twilight that hated her for the rest of her life. Fritter didn’t care about the numb feeling spreading in her body because of the cold, she just wanted to forget the day and rest.

***

Twilight sat there, jaw wide open in shock. Did Fritter really say that she was beautiful? Shaking her head she just caught the tail of Fritter hurrying out of the room.

“Fritter stop! Please come back!” she shouted, but it went unheard.

She jumped up and went to the window, looking out and seeing Fritter running out of the castle and straight to the everfree forest. Twilight, who knew what creatures could be in the everfree forest quickly darted downstairs.

“Spike! I’m going out for a bit. Don’t wait for me, and please clean up my stargazing room.” she yelled before leaving the castle, making her way to the everfree forest.

Just the thought of what could happen to Fritter made her heart ache and she hurried up. She definitely felt something for Fritter, but what she was unsure of. She quickly cleared her mind and continued her way, soon reaching the forest.

“Ugh walking in there will be a pain- wait! I have wings…” she felt the urge to facehoof, but instead spread her wings and raised unsteadily into the sky.

She was still not really good with the flying, but here even her barely existing experience came in handy. Twilight quickly flapped and shot over the Everfree forest, looking out for a yellow spot in the usual dark ocean under her.

After scanning the forest for some time, she started to lose hope, causing her heart to shrink in her chest. It couldn’t end like that. Twilight increased her speed, flying faster than before, and soon a small opening appeared in front of her. The lavender mare slowed down and spotted something yellow.

Twilights heart made a small jump, happy that she found Fritter, but it quickly stopped. The light-yellow mare just laid in front of a statue, not moving at all. Fear shot through her body and Twilight maybe landed a bit too hard, hurting her right rear leg.

She hissed and hobbled to Fritter, laying a hoof on her shoulder. she was icecold. “Fritter? Fritter are you alright?” the lavender mare shook her, but without any response.

The alicorn quickly tried to think of some spells that she could use to help Fritter and found one to check on vitals. Twilight casted it and her heart froze completely. The spell told her that Fritter was near hypothermia and was unconscious.

Her mind went completely into panic-mode and she had no idea what she should do now. Twilight paced around until she remembered Spike’s words. Maybe she should just act and not think so much. She cleared her mind and raised Fritter in her magic grip up to her back, causing her more pain due her hurt leg.

Ignoring the pain Twilight slowly hobbled out of the opening into the deep forest. She wasn’t used to extra weight while flying and knew she couldn’t hold them both in the air, so she just went by hooves. Thankfully, her trip wasn’t accompanied by any dangers and she left the forest with Fritter unharmed.

The lavender mare sighed and continued on her way to the library, her leg hurting more and more but she still ignored it. Nothing was more important than Fritter. As she opened the door of her castle it seemed that Spike was already asleep, every light was out.

Twilight hadn’t had time to furnish the endless amounts of rooms since she’d gotten the castle, so she did the only thing in her mind. She walked up the stairs and turned right to a big crystal door with her cutie mark on it. The door opened and revealed her bedroom. She slowly picked Fritter up in her grip and laid her down on the bed, quickly covering her cold body with various blankets.

Once she was done Twilight rested on the other side of the bed, watching Fritter carefully. Her feelings rumbled and she knew that there was something for Fritter. She smiled at the thought and focused on the light-yellow mare again. Only once she was sure that Fritter was heating up and her breathing went steady again did she allow herself to rest.

The last thing Twilight saw was a bit of green hair covering a beautiful face, then she went to sleep, a small smile creeping up her muzzle.

Author's Note:

Done. Chapter two is mostly the work from SpitfiresSpitfire since I had to work.

Thanks to DonnEStarside for editing once again!