• Published 2nd Feb 2015
  • 2,632 Views, 157 Comments

LEGO Equestria Girls 2 - Chronicler06



When the Dazzlings attempt to take over the Lego World, Princess Twilight must reunite with her Lego friends (and a reformed Sunset Shimmer) to stop them.

  • ...
9
 157
 2,632

The Message to Equestria

Chapter 7
The Message to Equestria

On the other side of the interdimensional portal was the magical land of Equestria, home to ponies with all kinds of special abilities. Some were unicorns, capable of channeling magic spells through the horn on their heads. Others were pegasai, whose feathered wings allowed them to fly and even manipulate clouds. There were also earth ponies, who lacked wings or a horn, but did have greater strength and a close connection to the earth that allowed them to grow abundant crops. Finally, there were the alicorns, who possessed the abilities of all the other races and ruled benevolently over the kingdom. In addition, each individual pony had a unique special talent, identified by a symbol on their flanks known as a Cutie Mark. Despite their differences, practically all of these ponies were able to live together peacefully and in harmony.

To a person from the Lego World, it would seem like a very strange world, indeed.

Near the middle of Equestria was a little town known as Ponyville. At a glance, this town seemed like any other. There were farms on the outskirts of town, a few arched bridges over the small river that crossed through the middle of town, and most of the buildings were small wooden structures with thatched roofs. However, there was one structure just outside of town that really made this place stand out.

Little more than a week had passed since a shimmering blue and violet castle had magically appeared just outside of Ponyville. On the outside, it had a distinctive shape that made it resemble some kind of massive treehouse. On the inside, there were numerous long hallways and massive rooms. And in the middle of this spectacular structure was a throne room with six large thrones — plus a seventh smaller one — arranged in a circle, with each of them labeled with a particular Cutie Mark. Although this castle had yet to be given an official name, its new inhabitants were already happily making themselves at home.

Twilight Sparkle, a lavender alicorn and newly entitled Princess of Friendship, was sitting in the middle of the throne room as she read through various letters and documents. To her right, Rarity the white unicorn was contently polishing her throne. To her left, the pink earth pony Pinkie Pie was blowing up a balloon for reasons known only to herself. In front, Spike the baby dragon sat on his small throne as he read one of his comic books. Behind, Applejack the orange earth pony and Fluttershy the yellow pegasus were pushing a large crate into a nearby room. Above, the light blue pegasus Rainbow Dash had just flown back inside through an open window. As far as everypony was concerned, today was going to be relatively uneventful.

“Excuse me, Princess.”

Twilight glanced up to see that a delivery pony had just arrived, hauling a cart that carried a very tall stack of books.

“Where do you want all these books from Princess Celestia?” asked the delivery pony.

Twilight turned her gaze back down to her current reading material as she contently answered, “The library. Third door on your left.” She pointed her hoof to her left.

As Twilight spoke, the delivery pony suddenly began to hear a faint buzzing noise. He glanced back at the stack of books and noticed something very unusual with the one at the very top. “Even this one that’s glowin’ and vibratin’?” he asked in confusion.

At that strange question, Twilight looked up at the stack of books and quickly noticed the book that really was glowing and vibrating intermittently. Curious by what was causing this, she picked up the book with her magic and levitated it over to her. She quickly noticed that it was a brown book with Princess Celestia’s Cutie Mark on the front cover. As she opened the book and began flipping through the pages, all of her friends gathered around with curious looks on their faces.

“What is it, Twilight?” asked Fluttershy.

Twilight quickly determined that what she was looking at was some kind of journal, so she immediately flipped through to the latest entry and began to read it. She answered, “It looks like a message to Princess Celestia from…” She suddenly gasped in shock. “…my friends in the Lego World.”

“How is that even possible?” asked Rarity in confusion.

“I don’t know,” replied Twilight as she continued reading the entry. Once she quickly finished reading, she looked up in shock and said, “But it sounds like they need my help.”


Once all of her friends had gathered around the table in the castle’s library, Twilight levitated a book from one of the many bookshelves. “The way Sunset Shimmer described them,” said Twilight, “I think these three girls sound an awful lot like…” She slammed the book down onto the table. “The sirens.”

“Not the sirens!” exclaimed Pinkie Pie fearfully. She then leaned close to Fluttershy and not-so-quietly whispered, “I don’t actually know what that is!”

Twilight opened the book and explained, “The sirens were three beautiful but dangerous creatures who had the power to charm ponies with their music. But to maintain this power, they had to feed on the negativity and distrust of others. The more of this negative energy they consumed, the stronger their voices became, and the farther they could spread their dark magic.”

“I don’t think I like this story very much,” muttered Fluttershy worriedly.

“If the sirens had their way,” continued Twilight, “they would have divided and conquered all of Equestria. But a certain Star Swirl the Bearded wasn’t having it. Rumor has it he found a way to banish them to another world — one where he believed their magic power would be lost.” Twilight turned her gaze up to her friends. “That world must have been the one where my Lego friends live.”

“But Star Swirl must’ve sent them there ages ago,” Applejack pointed out. “How come they’re just surfacin’ now?”

“I don’t know,” replied Twilight as she glanced back down at the open book. “But if my hunch is right and it is the sirens who are causing trouble in the Lego World, those spells they’ve been casting on the city of Bricklyn is just the beginning.” She closed the book and turned away. “My friends need me. I have to get back to them.”

Twilight began to trot out of the library, but her exit was quickly blocked off by Rainbow Dash, who flew over her and landed right in front of her. “I hate to burst your bubble, Twilight,” Rainbow pointed out with concern, “but the connection between their world and Equestria will still be totally cut off for a super long time.”

Pinkie Pie suddenly zoomed over to stand between Twilight and Rainbow and quickly said, “Okay, first of all, if there was bubble-blowing going on, why wasn’t I told about it?! And secondly, if the connection is totally cut off, how was Sunset Shimmer able to get a message to Twilight?”

Twilight thought about Pinkie’s second — and more important — question, then suddenly gasped and smiled. “Pinkie, you’re a genius!” she said excitedly as she trotted past Rainbow Dash and out of the library.

“Yeah, I get that a lot,” said Pinkie casually. She quickly turned to stick her face in Rainbow’s and threateningly added, “Now about those bubbles!”

Without saying a word, Rainbow pulled herself out of Pinkie’s grip and turned to follow after Twilight. Pinkie and the rest of Twilight’s friends soon followed her down the hallway.

“Where are you goin’?” asked Applejack.

“To the Crystal Mirror,” replied Twilight as she continued trotting down the hallway. “I think I’ve figured out a way to make it open.”

“Oh! Does this mean we’re going back to the Crystal Empire?” asked Rarity with an excited look in her eyes.

Twilight simply said, “Nope.”

Twilight’s friends momentarily paused with confused looks on their faces, then quickly caught back up to her. “I’m confused,” said Fluttershy. “Isn’t that where the Crystal Mirror is?”

“Not anymore,” replied Twilight, her pleasant attitude never faltering. “You see, the day after this castle appeared, Princess Cadance arranged to have the Crystal Mirror moved here. I guess she understood that I was far more likely to use it than she would.”

“Then where is it?” asked Rainbow Dash as she flew directly over Twilight. “I’ve been all over this castle by now, and I haven’t seen that mirror anywhere.”

“That’s because I decided to store it inside a hidden room, for safekeeping,” answered Twilight as she stopped in front of a seemingly blank wall. “The only way to access this room is through a secret door that I built, which can only be opened with a secret knock.”

As all of Twilight’s friends gathered around, Rainbow raised an eyebrow and asked, “You built a secret door in this castle?”

“Let me put it this way…” explained Twilight as she placed her hoof on a block in the wall and pushed it back a few inches. “Secret doors are cool.” She then tapped her hoof on the wall around the pushed block in a specific order: top left, top, top right, bottom right, bottom, and bottom left. Once the secret knock was completed, all of the blocks that made up this portion of the wall began to magically move around on their own, grinding against each other as they shifted. It took only a matter of seconds for the blocks to move aside and reveal the small room that was hidden behind that wall. And sitting in the middle of that room was the Crystal Mirror, the magical gateway to the Lego World.

While Twilight was still smiling pleasantly, her friends had done nothing but stare silently with jaws hanging wide open. “That is kinda cool,” admitted Rainbow Dash.

“Can I have one in my house?” asked Pinkie Pie.

Twilight simply rolled her eyes and smiled as she stepped into the room. “Before I try anything,” she explained, “I’ll need to make sure my theory is sound.” She telekinetically rolled a large chalkboard into the room, picked up a piece of chalk, and began quickly writing some complex equations.

As her friends stood back and watched silently, Twilight made quick work with her calculations. About halfway through, she began muttering her thoughts aloud. “…and the interval between the two points is defined as the square root of the sum of the squares of the separation between the points along three spatial dimensions…” As soon as she reached the final solution of her mathematics, she excitedly exclaimed, “By Celestia, it really is possible!” With a huge smile on her face, Twilight turned to her friends, all of whom were staring blankly at her.

“Say what now?” asked Spike in confusion.

“Duh!” Pinkie Pie suddenly spoke up. “She’s gonna take the magic in here…” She held up the magic journal from seemingly out of nowhere. “…And put it in there.” She pointed her hoof at the Crystal Mirror. “That’ll make the portal open up so that whenever she wants to, she can go from here to there.” She pointed back and forth between the journal and the mirror as she continued, “There to here! Here to there! Here there! Here there! Here—”

“We get the idea!” Applejack interrupted.

Pinkie simply stood up and grinned before totting over back to her friends out in the hallway.

Rainbow Dash picked up the magic journal and raised an eyebrow as she looked at it. “So how do we make that work?” she asked. “Just throw the book at it?” Without waiting for a response, she then tossed the book right at the mirror.

Twilight quickly caught the book with her magic before it could strike the mirror. She glared at Rainbow for a moment, then turned to the rest of her friends and explained, “No. I’ll need to build some special machinery that can focus the magical energy in this diary into the Crystal Mirror.”

Twilight glanced over at the mirror, then sighed in disappointment. “But who am I kidding? This isn’t the Lego World. I can’t just throw a bunch of parts together and expect the whole thing to just suddenly do what I want it to.” She rubbed her hoof under her chin. “If I’m gonna make this thing work, I’ll need some expertise in mechanics and engineering.” Her expression suddenly brightened as she got an idea. “And I think I know just the pony for the job.”


Nearly an hour had now passed since Twilight had sent a letter to Princess Celestia, explaining what was going on in the Lego World and who she needed to find to help her open the Crystal Mirror. Celestia had quickly sent a reply to inform Twilight and her friends that she knew where to find that certain pony and would immediately arrange to have him sent over to Twilight’s castle. Until this pony would arrive, there was nothing that Twilight and her friends could do but wait.

While most of her friends waited in the hallway near the mirror, Twilight was busy looking over that chalkboard full of equations and calculations she had made.

With a bored expression on her face, Rainbow Dash sighed and turned to Twilight and asked, “How much longer are you gonna keep staring at all that? You must’ve already gone over it like a hundred times now.”

“For a project of this importance, I can’t afford any room for error,” replied Twilight with concern. “If my calculations are off by even half a degree or a fraction of an inch, then the machine that will be built based on all of this will never be able to open the portal, or worse, it could take me to a completely different alternate world! Simply double-checking just isn’t enough. I need to be absolutely certain that no errors have been made on my part.” She finally turned her attention away from the chalkboard and had an innocent smile on her face as she added, “Besides, I need to do something useful while we wait for that expert to arrive.”

Rainbow Dash rolled over onto her back and let out a frustrated sigh. “How much longer do we have to wait?” she grumbled.

Spike suddenly came around a corner in the hallway and stopped as soon as he saw the six ponies. “He’s here! He’s here!” he shouted while jumping up and down.

With that announcement, all six ponies quickly stood up and followed Spike out to the front door. “‘Bout time!” exclaimed Applejack impatiently.

As everyone walked down the hallway, Rarity turned to Twilight and asked, “Now that your so-called ‘expert in mechanics and engineering’ has arrived, do you mind telling us how much you know about this pony?”

“Not a whole lot, to be honest,” admitted Twilight as she and her friends stepped outside. “I actually met his counterpart in the Lego World. Over there, he’s regarded as a top engineer, so I’m confident that his pony counterpart won’t be much different.”

As Twilight spoke, a golden chariot pulled by a pair of royal pegasus guards flew around the castle and landed on the ground just a few paces away front the front door. The unicorn who was riding in that royal chariot appeared to be the exact opposite of royal. He had a tan coat with various stains all over it, a messy brown mane that stuck upwards at the front, and a short brown tail. He had a pair of goggles that rested on his forehead, just above his brown eyes. Finally, the Cutie Mark on his flank was an adjustable wrench.

Once the chariot came to a stop, the unkempt unicorn grunted as he hefted a rather heavy set of saddlebags — in which all kinds of various tools were noticeably sticking out in many places — onto his back. He then proceeded to step off the chariot, but lost his footing and fell over. “Ouchy,” he mumbled.

Twilight rolled her eyes and muttered to her friends, “And so far, my hunch seems to be accurate.”

The disheveled unicorn scrambled back onto his hooves and galloped over to Twilight and her friends. “R-Rusty Wrench, at your service,” he said — speaking with a rather boyish voice — as he quickly bowed before the Princess of Friendship.

“Don’t bother with being so formal around me,” said Twilight dismissively. She turned back to the castle and continued, “I need your help with something very important, so if you’ll follow me, please.”

“Y-yes, yes, of course!” complied Rusty Wrench with a nervous chuckle as he quickly stood up and followed Twilight into the castle.

It was not lost on Twilight or her friends that this stallion seemed to be in a near-constant state of nervousness, due to the shaky grin on his face and slight stuttering in his speech. In Twilight’s mind, it was further confirmation that her hunch to call in this specific pony was the right choice.

As the ponies trotted through the castle hallways, Twilight turned to Rusty and suggested, “How about you introduce yourself to my friends?”

“R-right, y-yes!” stuttered Rusty. He cleared his throat and then more confidently spoke up, “The name’s Rusty Wrench. Mechanic. Engineer. Inventor. Junk collector. You name it, I can fix it!”

“So you’re sayin’ that you can build an’ fix just about anythin’?” asked Applejack as she looked back at the engineer pony.

“That’s right!” replied Rusty with a smile.

“Ah guess that explains why you’re carryin’ all them tools with ya,” added Applejack as she gestured to the saddlebags he was carrying.

“Yup! Never go anywhere without my tools,” said Rusty proudly.

Meanwhile, Pinkie Pie had decided to grab a hammer out of Rusty’s tool bag and began balancing it on the end of her muzzle.

Rusty turned to the side and as soon as he saw Pinkie’s antics, he immediately stopped and snatched the hammer away from her with his magic. He quickly put the hammer back in his tool bag, then stuck his face directly in front of Pinkie’s and firmly said, “Rule Number One: Never ever play with my tools. Ever.” He then turned away and continued following after Twilight.

“Rule Number One?” asked Rainbow Dash in confusion.

“I’ve created a bunch of safety rules for use in my workshop,” explained Rusty as he glanced up at the pegasus flying overhead. “All of them are to prevent any past accidents and mishaps from ever happening again. And believe me, I’ve got plenty of reasons behind Rule Number One.”

“I can only imagine,” muttered Fluttershy.

“Pardon me for asking, dear,” Rarity spoke up, “but did I correctly hear you state one of your self-proclaimed titles as ‘junk collector’?”

“Sure did,” replied Rusty happily. “One of my favorite hobbies is dumpster diving.”

“Dumpster diving?” asked Rarity, recoiling in disgust.

“Yup,” confirmed Rusty. “You never know what kind of treasures you might find while digging through the trash. Heck, more than half of all of my inventions contain parts and pieces that I found while dumpster diving. It’s amazing how innovative you can be when you’re presented with a limited range of materials to work with.”

As the ponies came around another corner in the hallways, Twilight said, “It’s right over here.”

Rusty and the others followed Twilight into the hidden room where the Crystal Mirror was located.

“Behold: the gateway to an alternate world,” said Twilight, gesturing to the Crystal Mirror. “Under normal circumstances, it is open for only three days, once every thirty moons, and the last time it was open was approximately six moons ago. However, I’ve been able to find a way to make it open at any time.”

As Twilight now gestured to the chalkboard with all of her calculations on it, Rusty’s eyes widened in shock.

Twilight continued, “As you can see, a connection exists between two magical items that happen to be on opposite sides of the gateway, and I need your help to construct a machine that can utilize and focus that energy directly into the mirror. Can you do it?”

Rustly glanced over all of the complex equations and let out a long whistle. “Wow…” he said. “That looks, uh… really complicated.” He turned to face Twilight, who simply gave him a very expectant smile. Rusty smiled nervously and added, “B-but I’m sure I can make it work.” He let out another nervous chuckle. “All I need is some time and a lot of materials to work with.”

“No problem,” said Twilight. “I managed to salvage a bunch of machinery and spare parts from the basement of my old home. Spike, could you show Rusty where I left them?”

Spike nodded and gestured for Rusty to follow.

Once Spike and Rusty began heading down the hallway, Twilight levitated the magic journal over to herself and said, “In the meantime, I’d better send a message to Sunset Shimmer and my Lego friends. Let them know that I’ll be on my way.” She then turned and headed back to the library for the quill and ink she would need to start writing.


After a couple of hours of hard work by Rusty Wrench, the special machinery that would force open the portal was nearing completion. From Rusty’s tool bag, a small wrench was enveloped by a tan magical aura as he levitated it behind the machine to where he was busy making some final adjustments. “Almost…” muttered Rusty. As he tightened the last bolt, the wrench slipped loose and struck him on the head, causing him to grunt in pain and mutter, “Ouchy.”

Finally, he stepped out from behind the mirror and returned his tools to his tool bag. “There…” he said in satisfaction. “That should do it.”

Twilight smiled as she levitated the magic journal over to the machine and said, “Now to see if it actually works.” She placed the magic journal into the perfectly-sized slot directly above the Crystal Mirror, then nodded at Rusty.

Rusty pulled a very large wrench out from his tool bag and, with an audible clang, stuck it onto a winch. He wrapped both of his forelegs around the big wrench and pulled. He grunted as he struggled for a second before the winch finally came loose, causing the machine to whir to life.

“Oooooooh…” said the others as they watched the machine start up.

First, magical energy surged from the book and was absorbed by a pair of electric coils on either side of it. That energy then flowed through a series of wires, into a box with a pair of pistons that pumped up and down alternatingly, flattened out and weaved through a loom, and finally built up in a second pair of electric coils on either side of the mirror. The magical energy took a few seconds to build up enough to finally unleash a powerful surge directly into the mirror. A blinding flash of light briefly erupted from the mirror, then faded to a steady glow.

Twilight, after shielding her eyes from the blinding flash, turned her gaze back to the Crystal Mirror and smiled. What was once smooth glass was now a swirling interdimensional vortex.

Ahhhhh…” said the others with smiles on their faces.

“Yes! It worked! It worked!” cheered Rusty Wrench as he jumped around enthusiastically. He quickly finished his celebration dance and added, “And right on the first try, too! That almost never happens!”

Twilight turned to the engineer pony and said, “Rusty, I now need you to stay here and keep an eye on this machinery while I’m gone. The last thing I need is for this thing to fail and leave me stranded on the other side.”

“No problem,” said Rusty, nodding in acknowledgement. “I’ll make sure this machine keeps running smoothly until you return.”

Twilight smiled and nodded in gratitude, then turned her attention back to her friends.

Applejack looked away sheepishly and asked, “Don’t suppose we could join you this time around?”

“Better not,” replied Twilight apologetically. “It could make things pretty confusing if the Lego World all of a sudden had two of all of you.”

All five of Twilight’s friends turned to one another, then turned back to Twilight and nodded in understanding.

“But I still get to go, right?” asked Spike enthusiastically. “There isn’t another of me in the Lego World. And you never know if you might need your trusty assistant.”

Twilight simply smiled and nodded.

“Yes!” exclaimed Spike excitedly.

Twilight walked over to her friends and assured them, “We won’t be gone long.”

Twilight’s friends gave her a big group hug and said various words of encouragement. After Twilight gently pulled herself out of that group hug, Pinkie couldn’t resist giving one more huge grin to her friend.

Twilight turned to the mirror and walked beside Spike. With a determined smile on her face, she said, “C’mon, Spike. Let’s Lego.” It didn’t take long for her to notice that everyone had quickly gone silent. Her smile fell when she glanced back and saw everypony staring blankly at her. She sighed in disappointment and admitted, “Okay, so I’m not good with puns.”

Twilight quickly resumed her determined stance and said, “Let’s try this again.” She glanced over at her trusty assistant and asked, “Ready, Spike?”

Spike cracked his knuckles, crouched down into a running stance, and replied, “Ready!”

With nothing more left to do, Twilight Sparkle and Spike charged straight into the magical gateway, with Spike going through just ahead of Twilight. Once again, the two of them were on their way to an alternate world where everything and everyone is made out of Lego.

Author's Note:

I didn't want this chapter to just be a copy-and-paste of its respective scene from Rainbow Rocks, so I decided to add in a few changes here and there, mostly to make certain details seem more plausible. For example, I didn't have Twilight just throw together a working machine out of parts that just came out of nowhere. Instead, I had her call in an expert engineer (making this the first appearance of my OC, Rusty Wrench, in pony form) and had the portal machinery built out of parts that were salvaged out of the basement of the now-destroyed Golden Oak Library. I also provided a reason for why the Crystal Mirror was suddenly in Twilight's castle, and even decided to put it in a hidden room instead of out in the library, to prevent other ponies from stumbling across it. Though I'll admit that I wanted an excuse to include my favorite quote of all from the Lego Movie Videogame: "Secret doors are cool," spoken by Vitruvius. (Random fact: I like to think of Star Swirl the Bearded being voiced by Morgan Freeman, just like Vitruvius.)