• Published 4th Feb 2015
  • 3,213 Views, 100 Comments

The Legend Of Benkei: Untold - -Singleton-



Follow Benkei as he tutors Twilight and her friends as their mentor, delves deeper into the true meaning of friendship, and displays his loyalty to his friends by fulfilling his true purpose for being sent to Equestria.

  • ...
10
 100
 3,213

Breaking Down Walls

The sun slowly began its ascent into the sky, the magnificently golden rays streaking through the cross sectioned windows of the room Benkei sat in, the warmth of the rays relaxing him as he sipped at his green tea. He let the sweet and flowery tasting liquid soothe his mind, the nectar allowing him to reflect on past events more easily.

He sat, cross legged, across from the unconscious pony, looking her over, and trying to determine what exactly she was, all while trying to find an explanation to everything. He kept thinking, completely unable to find any logical conclusion, and began thinking of things in a more spiritual and abstract way. As he contemplated the implications of him being in this strange land, he took another sip of his tea, scooting a little bit closer to the pony, and examining her back.

Flabbergasted, he stared at the odd protrusions confused. He set his teacup down gently, stretching out his arm, and brushing her wings softly, taking in the smooth texture of her feathers. He moved his arm away from the wings, and up to her main coat, letting the velvety fur caress his rough fingers. Pulling his arm back, he shook his head, eyes wide and mouth agape. He considered for a moment that he was dreaming, blinking his eyes and rubbing them vigorously, in a vain attempt to wake up.

Sighing, Benkei picked up his cup, continuing to sip his tea, the steaming hot kettle of fragrant liquid set down on a small round table just to his left. He cleared his mind for a moment, letting all of his questions fade away. He determined that it was of no use dwelling on the thoughts that troubled him when he obviously had no answer. As a matter of fact, Benkei didn't even know what steps he should take to find his answer really. All he knew was that if this creature was as smart as he presumed it to be, then it might be able to give him some answers.

So he waited patiently, the polished wooden floors creaking slightly as he shifted his weight, setting down his teacup as he adjusted his shawl. Benkei realized he was still carrying his naginata, feeling the rough leather strap while he was adjusting his shawl, and began removing it, slipping strap off his shoulder, and setting down the fearsome weapon beside him.

Picking his up his teacup once more, he smiled slightly as the pony shifted, mumbling something that he couldn't hear. Its eyelids twitched a little, before slowly opening, and blinking several times in rapid succession. As Benkei came into focus, the pony froze, eyes wide in fear, ears pointed downwards.

Benkei began to speak, but decided against it, feeling it might upset her even more than she looked. He reached over to his left, the sunlight streaming through the window catching his polished, black shoulder plate as he grasped the full teacup steadily, retracting his arm and stretching it back out to the pony in a kind gesture.

Snapped out of her paralysis by the sweet smell of the fragrant green tea, she extended one of her forehooves shakily, taking the piping hot tea from Benkei's large hands. Meanwhile, Benkei could only look on, astonished as the pony grasped the teacup sideways, holding it by its handle with her hoof, despite having no fingers to hold it with. He stopped sipping his tea as she raised the cup to her mouth, taking in the aroma before drinking a short sip hesitantly. He still couldn't believe she was holding it like she was, and shook his head for a moment, afraid that he was being rude by staring in such an unbecoming manner.

He regained his composure, quietly sipping at his tea, looking down at the floor, trying to figure out a way he could talk to it. From the little he heard before she fainted, she definitely didn't speak Japanese. A little frustrated at being so close to understanding his situation, yet impeded still, he got up, turning to look out the window and observe the beauty before him.

The yard was filled with the same birds who had glared at him on the way in, now having returned to tweeting and chirping their complex and ritualistic songs. He admired their elegant sounding choir, yet couldn't push the feeling out of his mind that there was something very wrong with all of this.

He knew he was in a VERY strange situation, but the way the birds glared at him really stood out. He was certainly an outsider in this weird and yet wondrous land ... but what that meant for him wasn't so clear. The earlier thoughts of his purpose for being here began to wriggle their way back into his mind, only to be repelled by Benkei's stout internal meditation. He needed to remain calm, and address the situation one step at a time, as he always has.

Benkei turned back to face the pony, gulping down the last drop of his tea, gently placing it on the same table as the tea kettle, and walking over to the sitting pony. She hadn't let her eyes leave him the entire time, but she remained silent, eyes still slightly concerned as she nervously sipped at her tea. Benkei noticed that she had to crane her head up slightly to meet his eyes, and promptly sat down to rectify the inconvenience to her.

She seemed a little less nervous as he crossed his legs and interlocked his fingers, resting them on his middle tasset. Her eyes softened slightly, her hooves shifting to readjust her body into a more comfortable position.

The two just sat there for a while, the pony sipping her tea every few minutes, too frightened to speak, Benkei too nervous to speak, lest he send her into another panic induced faint. So they just stared at one another for a good while, taking in each others strange appearance.

The wind rustled outside, just barely audible through the house's walls, while the sun continued to pour through the windows, bathing the both of them in a blanket of warmth and luminescence. Benkei, noticed something odd as the warmth beat down on his armored back, squinting his eyes suspiciously. The next time the pony raised the cup and took a short sip, he realized that the cup was empty, and began to wonder how long it had been so.

Deciding that he wasn't going to get anywhere unless he made the first move, Benkei cleared his throat, and spoke clearly, trying to make his voice sound softer and less rough in an attempt to not spook her.

"Kon'nichiwa, watashi wa Benkei gozen. Onamaehanandesuka?" , he finished, noticing that Akeeta was still near the end of the pony, looking at him hopefully. The little grey bunny nudged him onwards through her paw motions, gesturing for him to show her the piece of paper he had written on.

Benkei, taking Akeeta's signal, reached over to the same table that contained the tea kettle, taking a small piece of paper that he had written on earlier. He looked it over one more time, holding it up to the light to be completely sure he had written everything as neatly as he could. After finishing his check, he looked up at the pony, who was still sipping at her empty tea, and handed her the paper, setting it on the floor besides the padded couch.

She continued staring at him for a moment more, her ears slowly perking up, before looking away and quickly snatching up the paper in her free hoof. The note read :

" こんにちは、私は弁慶午前。お名前は何ですか?"

She stared at the note for a few moments, her large cyan eyes carefully examining every detail of it. She read through it several times, each time taking longer than the last, before finally setting it down on the cushion in front of her, and looking up to face Benkei, who was smiling warmly. Akeeta scampered to the front of the pony, hopping up and down, encouraging her to speak. Her expression softened upon seeing the cute, fuzzy animal, lifting her hoof to brush its head softly, before taking a deep breath, and speaking at an almost inaudible volume.

"Uhm ... Sir ... I uhm ... I-I can't read this." , she stammered out, her ears drooping slightly as she tried to shrink into her skin.

Benkei attempted to go through each and every sound he had heard meticulously, analyzing every one in fine detail mentally, but came to the conclusion that she was indeed speaking a different language than him. He expected as much, seeing as she was not only a pony, but one with wings. Added to this was the fact that she seemed to defy logic, able to handle fragile and dainty objects with surprising ease, despite her fingerless hooves. He contained a sigh of frustration in an effort to not scare her.

I did not understand a single word she just uttered, but at least I have her talking.

He kept trying to think of a solution to the language barrier, considering for a moment, how he and his newfound bunny friend had been communicating. In a moment of relieved enlightenment, Benkei almost leapt up, but contained himself and simply smiled, happy with his discovery.

"Benkei." he said slowly, while repeatedly poking himself in the chest, meaning to gesture towards himself. He spoke his name once more, looking into her unusually large eyes excitedly, as he noticed the change in them shifting from one of confusion, to one of understanding. He ceased poking himself in the chest, sighing inwardly in relief of at least getting her to know his name. He tried using the same technique to discover her own name, pointing at her as non aggressively as he could with his huge hands.

After a few jabs to the air, the pony got the memo, and spoke in her same, shy tone, but much louder this time, as she began to feel a little bit more comfortable around Benkei.

"I-I'm Fluttershy. I-It's nice to meet you, Mister Ben Khay." she spoke in the same undecipherable tongue as before. She shifted uneasily, continuing to pet the rabbit with her hoof softly, the contact with the creature soothing and calming her down. Her pink mane almost glowed in the warm and bright sunlight, her huge eyes glinting adorably with a strange mixture of fear, confusion, and hope.

Benkei went through each and every word she had uttered, comparing the strange sounds individually to the innumerable words he had in his vocabulary, and over the course of a few awkwardly silent minutes, he narrowed her possible names down to just one possible choice. Despite his inability to speak in her tongue, he considered it a gesture of goodwill to formally greet her. He stood up as slowly as he could, trying to look smaller than he actually was.

"Kon'nichiwa Fluttershy.", he spoke clearly, as he bowed fully and respectfully before her. He sat back down promptly, the wooden floor creaking to accommodate his heaviness, especially with all of his armor still on.

Fluttershy remained silent, pondering as to what he was trying to tell her. She had come to the conclusion that he wasn't a monster, or if he was, he was a very polite and literate one. She didn't understand the language he was speaking, but she knew it was a language all the same. She closed her eyes for a moment, thinking back to all those times she had overheard Twilight talking of ancient civilizations, deserted ruins, and obscure languages. Yet, despite all of the lost languages she could recall, no such one seemed to be even remotely similar to what he was speaking.

Akeeta backed away from Fluttershy, who was still petting her when she hopped off the couch. She scampered over to Benkei, and jumped up onto his left tasset, letting herself sit there patiently, looking up at Benkei. He shifted his eyes to look at her, peering down at the fuzzy little creature. As he sat there, looking at Akeeta, he tried to ask her what to do with his eyes, but when he got no response, he shook his head slightly, and looked back up to meet Fluttershy's eyes.

He really didn't know where to go from here, because even though he might be able to convey simple thoughts, to get the answers to the questions he harbored, he needed a way to communicate his thoughts eloquently. He wracked his brain for several moments, thinking of all the different ways he might be able to break through the language barrier. Coming up short, he decided to get up and head towards the door, slinging his naginata over his back, and bowing respectfully towards Fluttershy.

Just as he reached the door, wrapping his hand around the doorknob, he heard a high pitched squeak behind him, stopping and swiveling his head to look back.

Fluttershy was on her feet now, standing timidly on all fours as she repeated her inaudible sentence.

"D-Don't leave Mister Ben Khay. Y-You don't ... seem like a big scary monster, and you're very polite ...", Fluttershy stammered out quickly, Benkei releasing his grasp on the knob and turning around to face her fully, " ... You seem, k-kinda nice actually. " Finishing her sentence, Benkei noticed that Fluttershy's expression softened greatly, and despite not understanding what she had said, he knew that it was a gesture of kindness. Benkei didn't quite grasp the cultural norms of this society yet, having only met one very shy resident and all, but he felt it was safe to assume that good will reflected best on those who give it, just as in Japan.

He slipped off his naginata, leaning it against the wall by the entrance, and lowering his hood, revealing his coarse black hair. He walked up to Fluttershy towering over her, and for a moment she regretted letting him stay, looking up at his imposing figure. But her fears were put to rest as he quickly descended, crouching down so that their eyes met evenly. Benkei smiled warmly, and nodded his head gently, silently thanking the hospitality and bravery of the pony.

He stood up, striding over to the door, and then turning his head to face Fluttershy. He jerked his head in such a manner as to gesture her to follow him, as he opened the door slowly. Benkei had decided that since they both seemed to love nature, it would be beneficial for the both of them to bask in the glory of it for a while. Perhaps they could even find other common ground while sharing in the beauty of the world.

Fluttershy hesitated for a moment, before feeling a light tapping on her foreleg. It was Akeeta, jabbing her with one paw, and pointing at Benkei with her other. Fluttershy smiled happily at the little bunny, and for the first time, she kept the smile as she looked back at Benkei. Any friend of nature, was a friend of hers. While she still had her doubts and obvious suspicions about the strange looking creature before her, she felt he could be trusted for the time being, at least until she could figure out a way to talk to him, and learn his intentions. She looked down at the pleading bunny one more time, before making up her mind and walking over to Benkei, still a little nervous.

Benkei looked down at her, smiling as invitingly as he could, trying to calm her, as they both stepped out the door, and into the wonderfully bright, vibrant world of Equestria.

Akeeta walked over to the door, intent on following them, when she heard a voice from behind her. It was like no voice she had ever heard before, for it wasn't truly speaking. She felt as if it were in her head, and rather distant, but could make out the vague sentence.

"So, what brings you here hot stuff?" it continued to echo through her mind, the arrogance of the speaker unhindered by the mind speech medium. She looked around herself, analyzing every nook and cranny of her surroundings, from the cofee table, to the sofa, to the rafters lined with bird houses. The voice spoke again, getting louder and clearer, the sound of footsteps coming from behind her.

"I'll say it again: What exactly are you doin' here? I haven't seen you around here before, and I definitely have never seen anything like your friend." , the voice finished, as the footsteps stopped suddenly. Akeeta whirled around, meeting eyes with a small white bunny about her size. She looked around , puzzled for a moment, trying to find the source of the voice, before realizing where it had been coming from.

"It's me. I'm the one talking." , the white bunny said flatly. Akeeta locked eyes with him again, able to understand what he was saying, but unable to respond.

Akeeta tried to ask him with her eyes how to accomplish such a miraculous feat, and after a few moments of awkward staring at head tilting, Angel finally understood her question.

"Just sorta ... concentrate on your thoughts. We can't talk physically, only mentally, so don't try straining yourself like that. Its kinda like pure thought, if that makes any sense. When you talk, you gotta only focus on that one thing you wanna say. It can't really be taught, I learned how myself, and most of the wild bunnies Flutters takes care of can't speak either, and most of em' never learn to either. Fact of the matter is they're just too stupid to. I assume you're wild too, right?" , the fluffy white bunny spoke, moving a little bit closer to Akeeta as she nodded a little indignantly, trying to focus on her thoughts, concentrating only on the one sentence she had in her mind, and trying to make it real. She squeaked for a moment, blushing at her mistake, before resuming her focus.

"My name's Angel, in case you were wonderin'. If you ever figure out how to speak, how about you tell me your pretty name, to match your pretty face." , he said , coming even closer to Akeeta now, wrapping one of his furry arms around her.

Feeling instantly uncomfortable, Akeeta's thoughts shifted to another sentence she was trying to formulate, as focused all of her will into projecting her one, overriding thought into speech, or whatever Angel was using to talk. Breaking through the barrier, Akeeta calmly stated something that Angel didn't quite catch, the white bunny leaning over her shoulder now.

"What'd you say now?", Angel asked in an increasingly seductive tone. He barely had time to finish his sentence.

Angel was instantly several feet across the room, sprawled out and dazed.

"I said, back. Off." , Akeeta said in a threatening and triumphant tone, one of her paws still raised where she had punched Angel in the face.

"Sheesh, I was just playing. Kitty's got claws, am I right? " , Angel said to no one in particular, sitting up and rubbing his head. He was a little taken aback by just how quickly she had learned to speak, and so fluently at that. Added to that, from where he sat, the sunlight wreathed her figure in a golden glow, giving her a very appealing appearance, the light flooding over her silvery grey coat. He was entranced to say the least.

" Well maybe you should 'play' less and learn some manners ya creep.", Akeeta shot back, brushing off her paw, still excited about the fact that she could now speak, more or less. She had always had so many great thoughts and ideas, so many questions and inquiries about the world, and now she could finally tell the world about all of them, ask the important questions that had been eating at her, and share herself with others in a more meaningful way. But she still didn't fully comprehend exactly how she was talking through her mind. She had tried many times before to speak, but perhaps she had failed because she was trying to use her physical body in combination with her mind, instead of what Angel had suggested, pure thought. She tried to contain her excitement, but simply couldn't, hopping up and down happily several times before Angel interrupted her bliss.

"Don't get too excited, you can only talk to other rabbits, and even then most won't be able to understand you. Very few rabbits ever explore higher thought, and even fewer learn how to speak. I'd imagine I'm the only rabbit you'll be talking to for a good while, so get used to it.", Angel said, still secretly admiring her figure. He couldn't quite describe what he was feeling. It wasn't the same as when he was with all those other rabbits, nor was it similar to the bond he shared with Fluttershy. It was very different, and Angel was a little nervous as the oddly pleasing, yet strange feeling continued to grow deep in his stomach.

Akeeta instantly deflated, and was actually a little annoyed at the thought of talking to no one except Angel. Her mind flashed back to the animal FuzzyFace had murdered, putting Angel in its place as she giggled softly, letting maniacal thoughts seep into her brain. After a few moments of cherishing a world without the jerky bunny, she returned to reality, where Angel was unfortunately still very alive. She thought about what he had said, vague memories of her lonely past resurfacing. She had known other animals and creatures all her life, and she had always been an outsider because of her intelligence.

She had never really had anyone she would consider a friend, quietly exploring the forest alone, hoping that one day she might find someone to confide in. While her curiosity often got her into trouble with the other residents of the forest, she knew deep in her heart that it was just who she was. No one understood her, or could even think on the same level that she did. She had always known she was different, but this was something else entirely. In that moment, Akeeta realized she wasn't just smarter, she was conscious ... and so was Angel.

"Look, I may have come off on the wrong foot, and I'm sorry for that. I never expected you to be able to speak , period, much less within a few moments of trying to get it right. I'll be blunt, most of the rabbits that pass through here are near brain dead compared to you, and even though you and I are smarter, we still got needs. You get what I'm saying?" , Angel finished, trying to sound a little more apologetic, instead only making Akeeta feel awkward.

"Yes, yes I get what you're saying, and let me just say: You're even more of a creep than I thought. Still, FuzzyFace seems to like Fluttershy, who I would assume is your owner," , Angel nodded reluctantly, ", and that means were probably gonna be sticking around each other more than we'd like to. So please, don't make this any more unbearable than it has to be. If you want to be a perv, fine. But don't be a perv around me ... or else." Akeeta said, putting emphasis on her threat.

"Or else what? Ya gonna punch me again?" , Angel said mockingly. Akeeta let her mind wander back to the scene in the forest with the decapitated creature.

"Oh you'll see ... you'll see ..." Akeeta spoke menacingly, shooting him a sinister glare, trailing off as she scampered over to the door that had been left slightly ajar. The sunlight poured through the open space, blinding Akeeta for a moment as she heaved the door open, pushing it with all her strength. After a few moments of pushing, the door was opened wide enough to let her squeeze through, vanishing beyond the towering wooden entrance. She was just glad to be away from Angel. But as she scampered across the field, she couldn't help but crack a slight smile, happy that she wouldn't have to be all alone anymore. Angel was a jerk, but at least she finally had someone she could talk to.

Angel remained where he was sitting, still rubbing his head, trying to ease his pain. She hit him like a truck, and it was definitely showing as he felt a slight bump forming on his forehead. He was a little bit worried about what she had said to him, and even more worried that despite everything she had done, he couldn't push her out of his thoughts. He wanted to hate her, but as a few moments passed, he was overwhelmed by the feeling in his stomach making him feel uneasy the more he thought about her.

He couldn't bring himself to hold anything against her, being much too relieved that he finally had someone to talk to. He hadn't met another bunny that could talk since ... ever, really. He had only heard about it in books, and he was the one who had taught himself. At first, he thought he was just going crazy, but eventually he made the connection between what he had read about, and what he had experienced, realizing he could talk to other rabbits, more or less. He had spent months studying the complex art of focusing willpower and thought into a telepathic wave that could be heard by other bunnies, aided by the slight amount of residual magic everything on the planet had, the same magic that allowed ponies to hold things, despite their lack of fingers.

Even so, Angel envied Akeeta. It had taken him months to teach himself speech, and she was able to do it within seconds of trying. He was still completely at a loss for how she was able to just, do it without any hesitation or practice, and on her first try no less. It would have been like an amateur flyer beating the Wonderbolts the first time they had tried. He felt strangely inadequate, extremely envious, and more than little attracted to her.

He reasoned that it was just his hormones talking, trying to suppress his feelings, but after dwelling on it for a few minutes, he still couldn't push her from his thoughts. She certainly wasn't the prettiest or most well groomed bunny he had ever seen, but she had an aura of fearless confidence and feral beauty about her that he couldn't stop thinking about. Added to that, she was the only bunny he had ever known that could talk just like him, and she was all he could think about. His envy and the pain in his forehead subsided, replaced by the overwhelming feeling that had started in the pit of his stomach, and expanded across his body. Sure she had walloped him something fierce, but Celestia be damned if that was enough to turn him away. He envied her, wanted her all , and hated himself for it.

Angel got up, still rubbing head, and began walking over to the door, as his mind argued with him, trying to convince him to cease his irrational actions.

What are you doin'? Are you seriously going after her, even when she just kicked your ass? Is she really worth it?

He didn't even have to think about it as he neared the door, peeking out around the door, letting the sunlight bathe him in a reassuringly warm glow.

"Absolutely ... " he muttered to himself a little shocked at how he was feeling. He had never quite felt like this before. He had his harems of bunnies to appease him, Flutters to cuddle with and boss around, but this was something greater. Something deeper, more sophisticated and intelligent. It wasn't just instinctual, primal lust, it was so much more.

His stomach churned at the thought, not quite sure how to feel about it all. For a moment, he considered shutting the door, and walking away. But he didn't, he just stood there, letting the breeze rustle his fur looking out at the world longingly. Angel was an indulgent creature, being raised to the point of spoiling by Fluttershy who adored him, and surrounded by all the comforts he could ever wish for.

Akeeta was something different though. She wasn't like all the other bunnies he had been with, all the mindless animals he had known. He knew he was going to have to fight hard for her, which meant relinquishing a lot of the comforts and tendencies he had grown into over the years. He considered just how hard it was going to be, changing his entire personality into something more likable, something more acceptable, wincing at all the things he was going to have to give up while he strived for her love.

It wasn't going to be easy, and he wasn't going to like it, but he felt a deep compulsion to be with her, something much more than just what he had intended originally. What he couldn't understand was why he felt like this. Sure, she was pretty enough, but nothing exceptional. He sat on it for a moment, realizing that he needed someone he could share himself with. He was as lonely as one can be, just wanting to be heard, to talk with someone, anyone, soon discovering that he was very alone in the realm of intelligence when it came to bunnies. She was his only hope to finally find someone that he could talk with, discuss his feelings and share his life with.

It all sounded so sappy in his head, but he knew it all to be what he truly longed for. He had spent so long living extravagantly, enjoying all the physical pleasures that come with his lifestyle, but he felt empty. He knew he couldn't stand that hollow feeling anymore, and he knew that Akeeta was the only one who could help him fill that void.

He felt a little woozy as he pushed the door open slightly, ready to begin his quest. He sighed, giving into his feelings, as his mind gave him one final warning.

You're gonna get yourself killed dude. Just sayin'. That rabbit has psycho written all over her. Did you even hear her when she left? Talk about foreboding.

Angel realized the likely possibility that she was completely crazy, and might end up killing him, but this would be the only chance he would ever get at being with another bunny like himself. He had to take the risk.

After all, she shows up, makes him feel like an idiot, smacks him in the face with the force of a stallion, threatens his life, calls him a creep, and runs off, and despite all of this, Angel could only think of one word to describe her.

Perfect.

Angel shook his head, still a little incredulous that he couldn't stop thinking about her like he was, and even more so that he was actually going after her, before slipping through the opening, and taking the first step on a road that would very likely lead him nowhere. But it was a chance Angel had to take.

Author's Note:

I'm no romance writer, but I certainly feel as if this side story helps lighten the mood a little bit, and give people more to think about and look forward to. What do you guys think? Do you enjoy how I've written Angel, and how I've decided to give him a relationship with Akeeta?

Let me know in the comments below!