• Published 1st Feb 2015
  • 3,086 Views, 126 Comments

14 Ways to Confess - wingbeats



Rainbow Dash's goal: To get Applejack to go out with her. Problem: Asking Applejack to go out with her.

  • ...
16
 126
 3,086

13. Flash Mob?

"Nuh-uh. Nope" Rainbow Dash refused.

"Come on now Rainbow. I'm sure you remember the steps."

"No way!" the cyan mare pouted and crossed her hooves. Her yellow friend kept at it.

"It'll be really romantic. Don't you want to be romantic for Applejack?"

"Not if it means being lame. And that's just totally lame!"

"What's lame?" Twilight asked, curious as to what her two flying friends were talking about. Especially in a secluded area at the castle.

"Well, I have an idea for how Rainbow could ask AJ out." Fluttershy began to explain, "There's this tradition for when a pegasus wants to attract another pony. They peform the pegasi mating dance, the pegasi-"

"The pegasi prance" Rainbow finished for her shy friend. "And every year when me and Fluttershy were young, our parents made us go to this dance where we were paired with colts our age. It wasn't cool."

"Wow!" Twilight said, with an eagerness to learn more. "So how does the ritual work?"

"Well, the fillies usually would have to get hooficures, get our manes done and dress up really fancy-"

"Like I said. It wasn't cool." Rainbow reiterated.

"The colts would usually dip both their wings at the rainbow factory." Fluttershy went on. "Each colt had to have a different color so they could perform the prance. What they would do is they would have to work in unity to paint a rainbow in the sky to signal mating time was to begin. The colts would then, in unison and correct formation, prance in a circle around the fillies in the centre. It's kind of like the cotillion that Rarity was talking about. Each filly would then have to choose, well it wasn't actually choosing since they paired us up to learn the tradition, but choose their mate based on their prance. The pegasi who were really good at prancing meant they had really good wings and therefore possessed strength. But others-"

"The slow pokes," Rainbow said, rolling her eyes. "They were usually the last to get paired up with. But it's not only about speed, it's about technique. When you're in the centre, you can tell which colts are really putting effort into it and which aren't."

"So the fillies just stand in the centre and look pretty?" Twilight asked.

"Uh-huh" Rainbow responded. "It was soo boring."

"Well, yes. And it was a very quiet process. We couldn't speak. " Fluttershy responded. "Rainbow actually tried to break the rules one time and join the colts and well-"

"Hey! I had more technique than ANY colt that day. I possessed the speed, style and coolness that nopony had. They just didn't appreciate my totally awesome skills" Rainbow defended. "Eh, being grounded to my room for two weeks was worth it."

Twilight rolled her eyes, imagining her cyan friend breaking the norm. "Well how would it end? The ritual I mean."

"Ugh that's the worst part," Rainbow Dash grumbled "We had to lick our partner's wings clean of the rainbow colo-"

"What?!!!" Twilight exclaimed. "Why?!"

"Well it shows their interest." Fluttershy fluffed out her wings. "It's like an admiration of their talent."

"So you want Rainbow to try and ask AJ out like that so she could get a wing-licking?" Twilight inquired, trying to make sense of Fluttershy's intent.

"No! That's totally...." Rainbow then stopped and thought about it. She then gave an evil-like grin. "....a totally awesome idea!"


Since Rainbow Dash could paint a rainbow by herself, she did just that over the marketplace.

Then she did a quick flyby over the heart of Ponyville and landed right in front of the apple cart, where the apple-loving mare was selling her share of apples.

"Hey RD!" Applejack greeted her friend. "Want an apple? It's on m-Rainbow? Why are your wings painted orange?"

Rainbow didn't say anything but shot her face an inch away from Applejack's, completely invading the farm mare's personal space.

"Uhh RD?"

Technique was all on Rainbow's mind as she dashed around her friend, her wings majestically spread out. She revealed each feather as she twirled and made an apple shape out of her rainbow streak.

She stole a rose from Roseluck's cart and clenched it with her teeth. Then, she performed the traditional steps she learned as a foal, flapping her wings as she stepped backwards and forwards with only her hind hooves.

"R-rainbow what are you..." Applejack backed away, close to the apple cart. Rainbow saw this and immediately stopped.

"Hey AJ. Take it easy..." Rainbow said, with both hooves up in caution. "I'm not gonna do anything that'll make you feel uncool. Honest. It's just me."

"RD...Ah think ya might wanna turn around," the wide-eyed farmer said.

"Why, whats-" Rainbow Dash turned around and saw about two dozen pegasi, with all their wings dipped in a different colour. Somepony kindly played some upbeat music.

"What are you guys" Rainbow stopped, as she found the pegasi imitating her words and actions. "Stop it, I-" The pegasi continued. "Cut it out, will you!?" Rainbow heard her voice echoed. "Ugh"

Wait. If they're all copying me, it means they want AJ too! Well that's it, all bets are off!! Rainbow briefly thought.

Rainbow Dash flew high enough and performed her famous buccaneer blaze. The flying move that no pegasus had perfected yet. Then, she danced around Applejack with lightning speed.

And the other pegasi followed....creating a multicolored hurricane that ripped through Ponyville streets. Soon enough, flowers to food to furniture were being sucked up and spewed out of the hurricane.

"Alright everypony stop!" Twilight Sparkle, who came out of Sugarcube corner, halted the pegasi-induced hurricane with a spell. This proved harder to do as she held everything in the air with her magic.

She then disabled the spell and drifted everything carefully to the ground. To her surprise, Rainbow Dash fell out of the pile of pegasi and on her back.

"Owww..." the brash pegasus, said in pain. She then stood up quickly and pointed to another pegasus with her hoof, whose wings were coloured by rainbow. It so happened to be Thunderlane. "You! What the hay is going on?! Why'd you guys do that?"

"Well, we saw your rainbow not too long ago and thought they moved the pegasi prance here to Ponyville. We got all our wings dipped and decided to join in." Thunderlane answered, giving a little flap of his wings. "Sorry about that Rainbow Dash. We didn't know you were doing it to impress somepony."

"Well I was!" Rainbow tested out her wings to find none broken. She then glanced around town and found all the pegasi looking apologetic . This lessened her anger, as she realized that it was partially her fault. "Look everypony. It's ok really. Let's just clean this place up 'kay?" All the winged ponies got right to work.

Rainbow Dash simply looked down at the ground. Twilight noticed and placed a hoof on the blue mare's shoulder.

"I think you're right Twilight. As always" Rainbow said, glumly.

"Right? Right about what?" Twilight asked.

"If I just went up to her and asked her out in the first place, none of this woulda happened. Now she's never gonna go out with me..." Rainbow sighed. "I just thought if I did those things, it'll make me look cooler. To make it like I was a catch. The cream of the crop. Then she'd have to go out with me. Now...."

"Rainbow Dash," Twilight said, in a calm and friendly voice, "You don't need to always prove that you're cool, or radical or awesome. You already are."

Twilight then took her hoof off her friend's shoulder. "Sometimes keeping things simple might make you feel like you're not putting your best effort into something, but sometimes it may be just what you need. You don't need to be all fancy and such to prove you'll be a wonderful marefriend. You just have to be honest and open with your feelings." Then, she looked around and then whispered, "And I think Applejack would appreciate that more."

"....You really think so?" Rainbow looked at the lavender alicorn, with assurance in her words. The Princess of Friendship simply nodded.

"Alright then! I'm gonna go and tell her how I feel!" Rainbow said, with a renewed spirit. "I'm gonna go see where-hey where is she? I swear I saw her-"

"AHHHHHHHH!" the orange mare was falling out of the sky, screaming her lungs out. "AH-AH SOMEPONY HELP!"

Rainbow Dash and Twilight's wings flared and took off after their friend.

I got you. Rainbow thought, IgotyouIgotyouIgotyouIgotyou I-

'SMACK'

Rainbow's head collided with Twilight's as they stumbled back in pain.

The orange mare continued to fall...

Until all of a sudden, a yellow streak was seen as some pony caught her from underneath and set her down to the ground. Applejack clung onto Derpy until she safely had soil under her hooves.

"T-thanks Derpy. Ah appreciate it Sugarcube." the apple farmer thanked the grey pony for saving her and gave her a long hug. Derpy returned the hug because according to her, Applejack's hugs were really warm.

She then talked to Rainbow, who was still trying to recover from her headbang, but made her way down towards her friend. "Sugarcube, ah don't know what you were doin' before but next time ya wanna start a hurricane, please don't leave an Earth pony in the middle."

Rainbow sighed. It could always wait until tomorrow.