• Published 21st Jun 2015
  • 26,070 Views, 1,139 Comments

A New Flame - The Zebra Hybrid



A human named James is transported into Equestria with some surprising results. First installment of the Hybrid Universe[Displaced Story]

  • ...
191
 1,139
 26,070

Act 1: A New Grief

"-and that's what happened." sadly finished Twilight as she told what happened in Canterlot concerning Malefor and James, which transpired yesterday. Applejack and Rainbow Dash both had scowls on their faces, Rarity had small tears forming at the corner of her eyes, Pinkie with her mane and tail completely straight and deflated looked down at the floor in depression, while Fluttershy........wasn't present.....for obvious reasons.

Twilight didn't want to tell Fluttershy just yet, since she was one of the ponies who were closer to James she believed that she needed to hear this alone, the same goes to Derpy. Jack had been kindly to stay at the Castle until James is found and the dark dragon is brought to justice and NOT executed. He said he will do everything in his power to stop that from happening since he was one of the higher ranks in the guard but he couldn't guarantee the princesses changing their minds.

"Is James still...ya' know." stuttered Applejack.

"When the guard last saw them, yes b-but he was pretty banged up." answered Twilight.

"Why don't we just...let the guard find him?"asked Rarity.

"No! We definitely can't do that!," snapped Twilight, "I-I'm sorry Rarity, but the princesses, mostly Luna demanded that if James or his darker half is seen...they are supposed to be....disposed of on sight."

"Then we'll find him!" said Rainbow Dash.

"I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why the hay not?"

"Think about it Rainbow, James darker half handled Celestia and Luna like it was nothing and almost killed James! What if while we're looking we run it to him? There is no way we could face a monster like that."

"Then what are-" started Pinkie.

"That is why I am going to look for him alone."

"Whoa there sugar cube not alone you're not."

"It's the only way, the smaller the group the more likely I'll be caught by the guards and brought back here or found by Malefor."

"Wait, why would the royal guard come after you?" asked Rarity.

"Well, they're not after me, but the princesses sent a message to me and Cadence to stay within our areas until James and Malefor are found."

"But that doesn't mean you have to go alone."

Twilight sighed in defeat, "I-I guess you're right."

The room was silence for a few seconds before Pinkie broke the awkward moment, "So what now?"

Twilight put a hoof to her chin, what could they do the detachment of royal guards haven't came to Ponyville yet so they have some time. Unless..."Girls, I need you all to stay here just in case James somehow makes it back to Ponyville, I'm going to take Fluttershy and we'll go out to find James."

"No offense Twi' but why Flutters?" asked Rainbow.

"Fluttershy knows James better than all of us, and also she'll be useful when it comes to that stare of hers." Twilight explained as the others looked at each other with worried expressions, before nodding toward Twilight agreeing to her plan, "Thanks girls, don't worry once we find James and bring him back we'll get this mess straightened out. Also if James does come back to Ponyville have Spike send us a letter." With that the girls nodded Twilight nodded and headed toward Fluttershy's house.


Twilight walked on the road outside of Ponyville pondering on how to break down the news to Fluttershy. She was obviously the most sensitive one of the group and she was the closest one with James, which worried her.....wait was she jealous of Fluttershy? Did she have.....for James? She shook those thoughts from her head.

"M-maybe it's just the stress." Twilight said to herself as she made it to the front door of Fluttershy's cottage. She took a deep breath and knocked on the door, preparing herself. When the door opened she was not expecting to see Evelyn, the princess from the deer kingdom in the doorway. 'I totally forgot Fluttershy had company for the time being.' Twilight thought before forcing a smile towards the deer.

"Hi. Evelyn, sorry to bother but I was wondering if Fluttershy is here?" asked Twilight.

"Yeah, she's in...oh! Have you seen James? He was supposed to come by after visiting Mrs.Rarity yesterday but never did."

Twilight gulped, "Th-That's kind of why I'm here."

"O-Oh, I see," stuttered Evelyn finally getting the message, "J-Just wait out here for a second."

Twilight only nodded in response as the deer princess slowly shut the door and no other than Fluttershy arriving a few seconds later with a small smile on her face. "Hey Twilight what brings you here?" asked Fluttershy, until she noticed Twilight's grim expression, "What's wrong?"

"F-Fluttershy I-I don't know how to say this b-but.-" Twilight stuttered as she looked away.

"Twilight? Y-You're scaring me." softly said Fluttershy as she inched away.

Twilight took a deep breath and continued, "It's about James."

Fluttershy felt her heart drop to the pit of her stomach at hearing this and she instantly got nervous and worry for her close dragon friend. WHat happened to him? Is he okay? "W-what about him?" asked Fluttershy with a concerned expression.

This was not going to be easy for Twilight or Fluttershy, taking another deep breath she started from where she and James got on the train, to their argument, to Malefor being released, to the princesses orders to....take care of him, to James and Malefor disappearing in the Whitetail Woods. Twilight watched tears seep down Fluttershy's cheeks, she hated seeing her friend like this so she wrapped Fluttershy into a comforting hug.

"Don't worry Fluttershy, James will be okay." comforted Twilight stroking Fluttershy's pink mane.

"H-how do you know?" Fluttershy asked back.

"Because I'm going to find him and bring him back to Ponyville."

"Th-Then I'm coming too!"

Twilight looked in shock at Fluttershy's sudden confidence, "Are you sure? It could get dangerous really quick."

"I don't care. as long as James is safe with m....I mean us, that's all that matters."

"Okay then, I'll meet you at the train, I'll stop by....somewhere before we leave."

"Alright, I'm sure Evelyn will be okay with the animals while I'm gone."

Twilight nodded as Fluttershy went back in her house to tell Evelyn the news. Twilight let out a sigh and walked off back toward the town.


Twilight stood in front of James' house, she noticed that the last time her and her friends had been here was during his 'Welcome to Ponyville Party' . She walked up to the door and turned the knob, kind of surprised that the door was unlocked, her eyes widened when she saw James' animal companion Bolt laying on the couch, reading the paper, and drinking a cup of coffee next to him.

"Uhhhh..." was all Twilight could say as Bolt looked from the paper and glanced at Twilight. Before Twilight knew it she was on her back being covered in kisses from the white shepherd. Twilight couldn't help but giggle at the contact as she gently nudged Bolt off of her. "B-Bolt, I know you're wondering when James is coming home."

Bolt nodded.

"W-well, James is missing and you been close to him the most and know his scent."

"Bark!" whinned and barked Bolt.

"So? Is that a yes?"

Bolt nodded, "Bark!"

"Great!" with that Twilight walked out the house with Bolt, only to look at the dog in confusion as he pulled out a key from under the matt and locked the door before putting the key back and turning to her and nodding signaling that he was ready to go. 'What was all that?' thought Twilight before shaking off the thought and motioned for Bolt to follow her to the train station which he gladly did.

As the two walked tons of questions were running through the young alicorn's mind. What was she going to say to the dragon when they found him? How are they going to bring him back to Ponyville if everything is going to be surveyed by the royal guard? Twilight was so deep in thought she didn't notice a familiar gray pegasus walking her way causing the two to collide on impact.

"Oops, my bad Princess Twilight." apologized Derpy as she helped Twilight to her hooves.

"That's alright Derpy, but just Twilight is fine." said Twilight as Derpy was petting Bolt, but then gave Twilight a confused look.

"Where's James? Usually he walks around with Bolt."

Twilight froze, she had totally forgotten about Derpy, "W-well, you see J-James had to...uh." Twilight was lost for words as she gazed into Derpy's eyes and even though they were out of place she could still see the worry and confusion in them, "Derpy, I can't lie to you."

"W-what are you talking a-about, Twilight." asked Derpy getting even more nervous.

"James is.....is missing, and being hunted by the royal guard."

Derpy gasped with a hoof over mouth. Twilight continued.

"But me and Fluttershy are going to find him and bring him back....somehow." Twilight finished sounding a little depressed at the last part. How were they going to bring James back? For all they know he's probably not even in Eque-

"I'm going with you." suddenly said Derpy snapping Twilight out of her thoughts.

Twilight shook her head, "Oh no no no no,I can't have you come. It's too dangerous and what about Dinky?"

"My little muffin is in Manehattan for two weeks with my parents, and I may not look like it but I can take care of myself." Derpy paused for a second as a small blush appeared on her cheeks, "P-plus me and James were supposed to m-meet at Sugarcube C-Corner."

Twilight looked at Bolt who looked back at her and nodded, "Alright, but please be care- wait you were going to meet James' at Sugarcube Corner? L-Like a date?" Twilight stuttered getting a little nervous.

"W-well it's not a date, just...uh...a meeting between close friends. Yeah!" Derpy blush deepened as she tried to break eye contact with Twilight. Getting a little impatient Bolt barked gaining the two mare's attention.

"We'll, have to finish this discussion later, but right now we have to meet fluttershy at the train station." explained Twilight as Derpy nodded as she followed her and Bolt down the road of Ponyville.


Fluttershy wiped another tear from her face as she sat down at the bench at the Ponyville Train Station, her thoughts focused on a certain purple drake. How could this have happened? She would ask herself this question over and over without getting an answer and deep down for some unknown reason she believed that it was all her fault.

She let out a whimper as she buried her face in her forelegs and let out a whimper, she didn't know that she could feel this bad over a close friend. Unless....was James something closer to her? She sat up and wiped fresh tears and thought about it, she had never thought about that about anypony before......but James wasn't a pony, he's a dragon. That when the realization hit her like a bat striking a pinata.

She had fallen in love.

With a dragon.

She had fallen in love with James.

She had never thought to be in love with somepony or in her case some dragon. To tell the truth she had never thought she would have feelings for something that she had feared for almost her entire life, but James wasn't like the other dragon's she encountered...no, he was caring, gentle, and always thought about others than himself sure he has his flaws but who doesn't.

Then it was decided, she had to...no...she needed to find James, she couldn't stand the feeling of him not being close to her or worse.

"Fluttershy!" shouted Twilight snapping the Element of Kindness out of her thoughts, she then noticed Derpy and James' pet Bolt walking by her side.

"H-hey Twilight," answered Fluttershy quickly composing herself, "What are Bolt and Derpy doing here?"

"They're going with us to find James, since Bolt has his scent and Derpy has been one of the ponies like you and I that knows him the best."

"That reminds me, what about the other girls?"

"Their going to stay here just in case James somehow finds his way back, plus a detachment of royal guard is being sent to each town to search for James and Malefor, including Ponyville and they won't allow me or the rest of us to leave until they are found." finished Twilight as a loud whistle rang through the station signaling the arrival of the train.

Taking their cue the three ponies and dog boarded the train and took their seats with Twilight sitting next to Derpy and Fluttershy sitting next to Bolt. The three mares sat in silence with twilight gazing out the window, Derpy staring at the floor with a depressed look, and Fluttershy resting her head on Bolt's shoulders, who gave her a loving lick trying to cheer the yellow pegasus up, but to no avail.

The white-shepherd knew what was going on with the three mares, his instincts as a canine gave him more than enough experience to figure that out. It was clear that the three mares had all taken a liking into his savior and friend, but he knew that it would end badly, by someone getting their heart broken, it always does. Bolt watched as the conductor walked down the aisle collecting ponies tickets and move on to the next cart, then going back up to the front and calling all aboard before starting the steam engine causing the train to finally depart to it's next destination.

As the train moved along the tracks the three mares all had their thoughts on the well being of James and hope they could find him before something else does.

'I hope your okay James, so I can tell you how I feel.' thought the three mares simultaneously.


Malefor limped through the Whitetail Woods checking his surroundings for any royal guard that might ambush him by surprise. He was low on energy and needed rest but he couldn't, because of those damned ponies. At least his counterpart James was still alive, he had to admit he was afraid when those other two dragons that found him, but from the looks of it they weren't there to harm the purple dragon.

Actually if he heard right it sounded like they were watching him with the ponies and their battle back in Canterlot. As long as the idiot was still alive that's all that matters, not like he cared for his well being, it's just that if anything happens to him it will affect the dark dragon as well. Malefor was snapped from his thoughts when he heard the sound of armored guards advancing on his position.

Thinking quickly he jumped in the bushes and waited them out he saw the shadows of what looked like three pegasi, he peeked out through the leaves and his suspicions were correct. There in front of him was three armored pegasi armed with crossbows checking the surrounding area for him and James. Unfortunately for them James was taken by those other two dragons which left him to find a way out of this damn forest and find a way to heal himself. He could be rid of them easily, even with his wounds, but he didn't want to gain the attention just in case more of them were still close by that he didn't know about. Which put flying as not an option assuming they had more pegasi scanning from above

"Sergeant, I don't think they're here maybe they flown out?" said one guard.

"No, one of them looked like it went to Tartarus and back, while the other was losing energy. Probably because of its wounds." the sergeant answered.

"Then they couldn't have gotten far right?" asked the other guard.

"Affirmative," answered the sergeant, "the princess wants them alive so try to aim for the non-lethal spots."

"But didn't Princess Luna want them terminated?"

"Yes, she did but we take orders from Princess Celestia and she wants them alive."

Malefor watched as the other two guards saluted as they and their sergeant went off in a different area. "So the princesses have different legions of guards? That could be useful in the future." quietly said Malefor as he slowly stepped out the bushes not wanting to make a sound. He winced when a branched struck on of his wounds.

"I need to find medical attention fast." grunted Malefor as he kept on walking through the forest.

"Sir! Target has been spotted!" shouted a pegasus guard to his left.

"Shit." cursed Malefor as adrenaline pumped into his legs as he sped off with more pegasi guards on his tail shooting bolt after bolt at him. Malefor tried his best to dodge each one but his wounds were making it difficult to do so, he needed to lose these guys quick speeding up getting enough distance he quickly spun around and launched three lavender balls of flames at the guards pursuing him.

While they were dazed Malefor quickly made a sharp turn and made a quick jump in another bush, panting heavily and sweat dripping into his cuts and scrapes making them burn. Malefor winced again but kept the volume to a minimum as he heard the clanking of the guards armor go pass the bush.

Taking a step back Malefor exited the bush and continued on, until he spotted a wagon, it looked abandoned but at the same time it looked almost new. Hearing more guards behind him Malefor quickly ran up to the wagon and slowly opened the door and walked in letting out a sigh of relief that it was abandoned.

His eyes widened at all the magical themed decorations inside, hew saw a a counter with cabinets, hopefully filled with food and supplies. He let out a chuckle when he saw a bed as he slowly limped over to it and collapsed on top of it and instantly let sleep take over him.

Not noticing the door of the wagon wide open with a familiar blue unicorn mare with a surprised expression on her face.

Author's Note:

There you have it!:pinkiehappy: Another chapter, Bolt, Fluttershy, Derpy, and Twilight went out to find James and Malefor is taking refuge in an occupied wagon. To those who are wondering where James is it will be mentioned in the next chapter.

Comment below on what you think!:twilightsmile: