• ...
8
 48
 5,474

Moongazing

Luna eyed her handiwork wearily. Another night, another moonrise, another audience of sleeping souls. She really should be joining them- it passed the time and helped her forget her sorrow. She had to hide it, after all- for her sister's sake if anything. Tia would be heartbroken if she found out she was just as disenchanted now as she was before the darkness consumed her.

Oh, and the banishment. A thousand years spent on the surface of her own charge. They hadn't been pleasant, with or without the bitter resentment she could never explain, to herself or to anypony else. And then she had returned, vengeance in her heart. Friendship had defeated her- but what good was friendship when her life's work went by unnoticed?

That wasn't on her mind right now, however. Luna was thinking back to the night of her return...


The royal sisters sat opposite each other at the long ivory table- it was made to accommodate a large number of guests for special occasions, and on those the sisters would sit at the ends of it, but when they dined alone, they'd seat themselves somewhere along the middle- or at least that was how it had been before the sudden schism. ("This is how we used to do it, remember?" Celestia had mused).

They had sat in mutual silence for most of the meal, and it had been her sister who had opened the conversation at last. "How does it feel, to be back?" Her voice shone with all the eagerness one would expect.

"Well..." She chose her words with care. "It certainly feels good. I- I have missed you, and Equestria. But..."

The sun goddess lifted her gaze.

"I still feel terrible about what I've done."

"Oh, Luna, don't be silly! You know very well nopony could ever hold you responsible for all that."

"Yes, but I planted the seeds for Nightmare Moon's birth. That thing, whatever it was, took my feelings and turned them into action."

Celestia shook her head. "True, true. But we destroyed it, and now it's all over. Right, sis?" Her eyes glittered, and Luna knew she wanted the answer to be 'Yes.' That poor alicorn had probably suffered more than she could ever imagine.

"Of... of course, Tia!" She gave her what she hoped was an understanding smile. "What once was is no more. My shell has fallen apart and now we can start anew."

The other returned the smile. "Good, good. Oh, and I'd suggest eating your dinner- you haven't touched any of it and it's getting cold!"


She found tears had been flowing all throughout the memory. Why did every hour of darkness become her darkness? Why couldn't she just let it all be? Ah, but the answer was obvious- it was her purpose to raise the moon and bring out the stars and begin the night, just as her sister raised the sun to start off the day. Her skills as a leader had been acknowledged and proven many times in the past, and yet nopony ever seemed to recognize the other role she performed, the reason she had been gifted with both a horn and wings...
Of course you regularly mingle, don't you?

She stared at the ceiling- it was painted a deep, endless blue. Even her surroundings taunted her. She shut her eyes. She wanted, needed to open herself... But who was there to consult? Who didn't trust her to be content and yet knew her enough to listen?

Luna groaned and eased herself out of the bed. Perhaps a little stroll through the halls would ease her stress. Perhaps...