• Published 13th Feb 2015
  • 1,946 Views, 50 Comments

Something Worth Fighting for - Blade Heart



What happens when a warrior doesn't have the desire for combat anymore? Do they just give up, or do they go to the death finding something better?

  • ...
10
 50
 1,946

Settling In

They were sitting in Pen's living room. It was a nice cozy little place, filled with a table, a few chairs, a couch, and a strange boxlike object with glass covering the majority of the front of it directly across.

"It's just a tv, it doesn't bite. It's actually pretty cool, check it out."

Pen took a small object from the table and pressed a button on it, which made the tv buzz, and light up. In a few seconds, somebody with light green hair, and pale yellow skin came into view, and was talking about the recent changeling invasion of Canterlot.

"Oh, yeah... Forgot to change that."

Pen clicked the object again, and the screen went to black, before quickly returning to color, this time sporting the image of an outlandish looking cat that walked on two legs like a human, and was patiently waiting outside a hole in a wall.

"I changed it to the news to see what I could find out about the attack on Canterlot. Didn't actually learn anything because I got bored of watching it."

"And what is this?"

"It's a... Cartoon. I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't watch it all the time, I just like some of the things that happen in it."

"And what was the other thing?"

"It was the news. I don't really like watching it. Too boring."

"The news? What news does it tell?"

"Basically everything. Anything that's important."

"Really? You have the ability to know what is going on around the world, and yet you choose to watch something else?"

"Well, like I said, it's too boring for me."

"But this is unrealistic."

"That's what makes it funny. Just watch."

"I'd really rather not."

"Fine. But I will make you watch it sooner or later."

Pen clicked the object again, and the tv went black.

"Come on, I'll show you where you can put your stuff."

Orisian followed Pen through a door that led into a medium sized bedroom, with a bed large enough for two and a pet, a large closet, and a small bedside table with a lamp on it.

"Just put your armor in the closet, and we can get you some new clothes later. Right now, just get yourself settled in."

"Many thanks, but I won't be sleeping in here will I?"

"What, you scared I'll bite you while you sleep? Where else would you stay?"

"In any room besides you. It's not that I don't like you, it's just we are not family. It would be unheard of for us to sleep in the same room under these casual circumstances."

"Maybe unheard of where your from, but not here. Come on, there's nothing wrong with it."

"I would still prefer to sleep in a different room."

"Well, it's your loss... And mine. I guess you can sleep on the couch, but that's not nearly as comfortable, or warm, as the bed."

"Thank you. I'll take the couch."

"Alright."

Pen looked a little crestfallen, but seemed to brighten up a little as Orisian put the few pieces of armor he had in the closet.

"Alright, well now that that's done, I've still got work to do. Go ahead and watch tv if you want, or go out and work for some extra money. Don't worry about going back to Luna, she'll send someone for you if she wants you."

"And uh... How do you use the tv?"

"You want it on the news?"

"Aye."

"Alright."

Following Pen back to the living room, he watched her pick up the small object again, and turn the tv on. Once it was in full color, she clicked it again, and it went back to the man he had first seen, who was now talking about changelings, and if you have any kind of information on one or more of them, you should immediately go to the nearest guard and tell them everything you know. Orisian began to wonder if that was truly the best idea. After all, from what he had seen, the guard wasn't exactly a formidable fighting force.

"So, if you want to change the channel, just click any button you see. You'll find it out soon enough, but I've really got to go. I'll be back in a few hours."

"Farewell."

Pen smiled at Orisian before turning and moving to exit the house. Orisian returned his attention to the tv as he heard her shut the door. The man on tv was talking about a puppy now, that had just been born with a missing eye.

"What?"

Orisian was confused at how it could have gone from something that could be dangerous for the entirety of a world, to a deformed dog.

Before he could think any more on the subject, there was a knock on the door, and Orisian moved to answer it. When he opened it, he was greeted by a lunar guard, telling him that Princess Luna would like him to help train some new recruits.

"Will I need armor?"

"Not unless you expect to be fighting for your life. Let's go."

Orisian followed him, closing the door behind him. He noticed that this guard walked with pride, and discipline. Much better than the celestial guard he had seen.

"So, which ones am I going to be training?"

"Mostly the lunar recruits. Hope your not soft."