• Published 13th Feb 2015
  • 1,948 Views, 50 Comments

Something Worth Fighting for - Blade Heart



What happens when a warrior doesn't have the desire for combat anymore? Do they just give up, or do they go to the death finding something better?

  • ...
10
 50
 1,948

Just a Favor

He had found Morning Pen in the training grounds, still inspecting her projects. After telling her that Luna wanted him to have some equipment and that she wanted her to be the one that helped him get it, Pen beamed and told him she would gladly help him once she was finished.

It only took a few more minutes before they were on their way to the blacksmith, and Pen was talking about her recent work. From new forms of spears, swords, shields, and even armor, to new buildings, roads, and vehicles. The weapons were apparently much more wicked than normal, and could pass through armor as easily as it could pass through air. The armor was apparently extremely light, but still as tough as Orisian's old plate mail. The buildings and vehicles were made to be as convenient as well as protective during war times.

Soon enough, they had made it to a forge with an old man hammering on a heated piece of metal. It looked like it would come out to be a fine sword. The man himself was blue in skin color, with white hair. He didn't seem to notice them when they entered.

Pen waited until he stopped working on his project before she spoke up.

"Hey."

It didn't seem like she was interested in talking to him very much. Either way, when he heard her, he looked towards them and growled.

"The 'ell do you want?"

"I just came here to help Orisian get some gear. You don't think he won't like any of it, do you?"

"Bah. If he knows what craftsmanship is, he'll appreciate my work."

The blacksmith stared at Orisian for a while, a deadset glare that Orisian returned with calm patience.

"Boy's got nerve, I'll give 'im that. So, you want weapons eh? Let's see what I have."

"Actually, he'd like weapons and armor."

"Very well. Armor's in the back, weapons are in the next room. You'd be stupid if ya can't find 'em."

Orisian moved towards the only door in the forge and passed through it. Almost immediately, he was greeted with his favorite scent. Polished steel, and sharpened blades. He had forgotten what true bliss was.

Moving along the lines of armor, he went from leather, to chain mail, to plate mail. Taking off a helmet that covered his head, but left his face free to look, he tried it on, and found it almost fit perfectly. It was just a small little bump that completely ruined it for him. Putting the helmet on a nearby table, he began to study the various breastplates he could see. None of them would fit him, either being too big or too small, but most of the gloves and boots he saw should be perfect. He would have to ask about the chausses and shoulder plates, but other than that, he would be fine.

As he was told, he moved to the next room that was blocked only by a corner wall, and found a magnificent display of weaponry. Ranging from shortswords to battle axes, bows to throwing weapons, flails to things that heavily resembled battering rams. He was in heaven. The weapons he saw here were in better condition than any new weapons he had seen in Remor, and even bordered on looking as well maintained as his own greatsword.

Moving down the lines, he examined each and every weapon, remembering back to the time when he had trained with them. Eventually, he stopped in front of a perfectly made greatsword, that was as long as he was tall. Taking it from its stand, he weighed it in one hand, and found that it was extremely well balanced. The blade itself was as sharp as it could get, and when Orisian tried to bend it, found it was as sturdy as his armor.

Moving back to the armor room and putting the sword on the table with his gloves and boots, he moved back towards the forge. Once he was back, he found that Morning Pen seemed a little irritated, and the blacksmith was laughing under his breath.

"I've found what I want. But, I do have some questions."

"Then let's go get it boy, I dont 'ave all day."

Making their way towards the table, the blacksmith had taken a measuring tape from somewhere and was measuring Orisian.

"Ya sure that's all you want?"

"I was wondering if you made shouldergaurds, and where I can find any chausses."

Shouldergaurds come with the armor, and cost extra. Chausses too."

"Then I believe I have everything I need. But this helmet isn't a perfect fit."

"And what's wrong with it?"

It's got a bump in the back of the neck I don't like."

"Let me see that bloody thing!"

The blacksmith took the helmet and put it into place on Orisian's head. After making a few adjustments, the bump disappeared, and Orisian felt it fit perfectly.

"There. Ya know how to put it on now?"

"Aye, I believe so."

"Then don't bother me again about it. Anything else?"

"No."

"Alright. Who am I charging?"

"You'll be charging Princess Luna. She's the one that wanted him to get some equipment."

"Alright then. Now, if you're not goin to buy anything else, get your stuff and get out."

"One more thing, I would like to know your name."

"The 'ell for boy?"

"I believe it common curtesy to thank someone by their name when they sell quality goods to me."

"Emerald Dagger. Changed it from some lousy little goody-two-shoes name me parents gave me. Changed it when I made my first blade. It was perfect, not a flaw on it."

"Your first blade? You had no practice before that?"

"Not an ounce. Been making the best weapons in this world ever since."

"Impressive."

"Can we just go? I've still got a lot to do, man."

"I apologize. Farewell, Dagger."

"Right."


Orisian was following Pen to her house, where she said he could keep his stuff and stay until he got his own place.

"I hate that guy. He never knows what he's talking about."

"What do you mean?"

"He wouldn't shut up about how someone like me will never make it in a world like this. Filthy old bastard."

"He offended you? Tell me, what is it like to be so weak that words hurt you."

He said it as encouragement, not to offend her, and she didn't seem to take any.

"Well, I guess it depends on who the words are coming from. What would you feel like if your king rejected the very thought of your existence?"

"I would fight to change his opinion. 'Tis what a Kingsman does. Having more enemies makes us stronger, for we conquer them, and make them ours. We conquer our opponents. We conquer our dreams, our hopes, and our fears. If one of us should die, we only fight harder for the glory of the fallen, and the King."

"Then maybe you should consider conquering him. For me?"

She said the last sentence with an innocent looking smile, and a small pout sent his way.

"If you are asking me sincerely, then I will do it."

Pen's innocent look quickly changed to one of surprise.

"Really? Wow, um... I was just joking. But if you'd really do that for me, I might have to repay you."

"As I said, if you are asking sincerely, I will do it. I need no payment."

"Then thanks. Yeah, if you would, that would be wonderful."

"You said that it matters who the words are coming from. Did you respect him in the past?"

"No, he just... Well, he saved my life. And then he just, stopped acting like he cared. I guess I should thank him more, but I really can't get how he just stopped liking me."

"Perhaps it is something you didn't do. Like i said, I would fight to change his opinion."

"Yeah, maybe so. Thanks. But I still want you to kick his ass for me, ok?"

"Very well."