• Published 3rd Nov 2015
  • 1,694 Views, 254 Comments

Harmony's Creed: Brotherhood - Gapeagle



During one of Equestria's golden ages, a cellist is thrown head first into a secret war between the Assassins and Templar.

  • ...
8
 254
 1,694

Templar Chapter II: Equality For All

Starlight Glimmer sighed as she and her companion, Coco Pommel, rode their horses through the Cloudsdalio streets. The city was made out of levels as it was built on the side of a tall mountain. The upper levels were constantly sitting in the clouds, hence why the city was nicknamed the "Fog City." Due to the many times Cloudsdale has been sacked or burned by dragons, there were a combination of new style buildings mixed with the ancient structures of Hurricane's time.

They had traveled a long way from Canterlot. Starlight was glad that the journey was almost over, but the reason why she was coming never brought up her spirits. How vile could the Grandmaster be to cut off our alliance? The very thought made her angry, but like always, she tried her best to stay in a good mood.

"Is it not beautiful, Coco?" she asked the maid.

"Why yes, Starlight. I've never been here before."

"I have, but only once. When I last was here, my Equalists and the Templar were signing our pact. Now, we are breaking it."

Their horses climbed up a wide flight of steps to the next level of the city. Since she was wearing a long dress, Starlight had to sit sidesaddle. She felt it harder to stay on the horse this way. She was quite accustomed to the normal way of riding as she grew up a farmer and rancher out north. This was not shared by Coco, who obviously had never worn trousers in her lifetime.

"Have you ever wondered how life is out of the city?" Starlight asked.

"Oh, never," Coco answered cheerfully. "I rather not think of it. All the dirt and filth and living like peasants. I heartily prefer the great city life."

"Hm, seems you need to try it. There's nothing wrong with the peasant life. It's more fulfilling than a city dweller would think. I was a peasant. Still am by some standards. The only real reason some despise it is because of how little they can influence the rest of the world. Because they have no blood of royalty, they lack a sound voice. Have you ever wondered how it feels to go unheard?"

"No, Starlight."

"Well, it's a not good feeling."

Starlight urged her horse to go faster up the diagonally-carved streets. They soon pass a mighty temple that had the statues of pegasi rearing on the top. They then trotted by the massive Cloudiseum, a local slang name for the Coliseum where great tournaments were held hundreds of years ago. The evidence that it was destroyed in the great dragon attack was clear all around it. Even claw marks from where the great beast perched itself could be seen at the top arches.

"Let us take a break here. The Templar's palace is close by."

Starlight and Coco stopped their horses in front of a large fountain where the beasts began to lap up the clear water. The fountain was composed of one large statue of Hurricane the Conqueror. His heroic cape was flowing behind him and his brave face was facing upwards towards the clouds above. Water poured out from his left hand, which was stretched out as if giving a gift. The other hand clutched his sword and was pointed upwards, a small gout of water flew out of the tip of the stone weapon. A great lightning bolt was carved on his chest plate.

"They sure love this man here," Coco remarked.

"Of course they do. The man founded this place. You Templar relish him as well."

"Well, he was a Templar. One of the few who ever worked directly under King Sombra."

"And yet, Hurricane betrayed him," Starlight shrugged. "He does not seem honorable for that."

"Oh, the Templar honor him because he was the first to establish the Father of Understanding. You see, Starlight, before Hurricane, the Templar were merely a force under the Shadow King Sombra. They weren't trying to help any person or even trying to guide the masses to a common goal. The Templar then were simply thugs that kept the Crystal people under the King's thumb. Hurricane and his wife, High Princess Platinum, reformed the Order to what it is now. Now the Templar try to use our higher Understanding to bring the people together so that we may have peace at last."

"I see now," Starlight nodded. "It is fascinating. However, the Templar's talks of greater good only in their words, never in their actions. The Grandmaster has embarrassed the Order with his petty whims and lust for power. I can see that the Templar are not for power but are plagued by those who are. It is time for another reformation I believe."

"Don't tell me you plan to do something rash?" Coco asked worriedly.

"Rash would mean I did not consider my actions. This is not 'rash' my dear Coco. I have thought of this carefully. It begins with me taking over the Templar and establishing a sense of equality among the ranks. I will meet great opposition. However, I know how to keep my opponents at bay."

"I hope you do not speak of the Bough of Yggdrasil..."

"Oh, I do speak of it. An Alicorn Artifact in my hands will secure my rank."

"But...But how will you obtain it? Only the Grandmaster can access its location."

"Then I take out the Grandmaster myself."


"This is it."

Starlight and Coco dismounted their horses. Before them was a large palace that was mainly in the shape of a dome. The dome stretched far beyond the central walls and were held up at the sides by numerous elegant columns. At the top of the dome was a single spire. Despite its older architectural style, it was a newer structure among the ancient buildings that lined the streets.

"It's so much larger than what I imagined from Mistress Poloman's descriptions," Coco awed.

"Truly a masterpiece inhabited by squalor," Starlight said.

"Not all of them. The Templar do have their respected members. You know, like myself," she giggled.

Starlight smiled. "I guess so. My judgments may be too harsh. However, my reformation will make sure that all the Templars hold themselves to honorable standards."

Coco was about to say something, but the sound of armored footsteps approached them. Both of them turned to see a young woman flanked by four Templar Knights march over to them. The leading woman had curly long red and yellow hair. Her attire was a mixture of a noble dress and a suit of armor. Her crimson skirt that was edged with gold hung behind her legs, allowing her flexible movement, and her golden chest plate bore the carving of a phoenix. The symbol of a split sun was on her small right pauldron. She stepped towards them with a regal strut. One hand on her hip and the other on the golden pommel of her schiavona sword.

"Ah, finally someone greets us," Starlight said in a friendly voice.

"Hold your tongue, peasant," the woman barked. "You should not speak unless spoken to."

Starlight gave a smug look at the Templar woman. She took a bold step to her and cast her eyes downward. Even though the Templar was wearing boots that increased her height, she was still a few inches shorter than Starlight. The Equalist kept smiling and spoke once more.

"Since you have spoken, may I now speak?"

"I do not care for your lip, Glimmer. Your arrival is unannounced."

"It is? We sent a messenger!" Starlight lied. "He must have lost his way."

"Indeed," Coco agreed.

The woman glanced at Coco. "Aren't you Poloman's maid?"

"And assistant," Coco corrected.

"Perhaps your visit is not all suspicious," the woman muttered.

"So we may go to Grandmaster now?" Starlight asked nicely.

Without waiting for a response, Starlight began to walk past the Templar. The woman reacted by sticking her arm out to block Starlight's path. Her harsh turquoise eyes met Starlight's kind purple ones.

"I will not let you by so easily," she growled.

"But Sunset-"

"Refer to me by rank, peasant!"

"Of course. Dear Mistress Shimmer, I only wish to converse with the Grandmaster. Suri Poloman blessed my visit by sending Coco with me. We traveled all this way. Do you really wish to be rude by sending us away? Such behavior can ruin the Grandmaster's reputation."

Sunset Shimmer sighed through her nostrils. "Of course not. I simply do not trust the likes of an Equalist, especially their leader. Why do you wish to speak with the Grandmaster?"

"Because I speak for my people. There has been questionable moves on his part. I simply wish to see what he intends."

Sunset nodded. "Alright then. Follow me."

Sunset gestured to the Knights. The soldiers took a step away and flanked the three women. Sunset led them all and they marched to the grand entrance of the Templar palace. Two soldiers opened the doors for them and allowed them to enter. The doors opened to a long hallway. Templars inside were scattered in groups, speaking among themselves. Giant paintings of past Grandmasters and prominent Templars lined the tall walls. Tapestries that bore the Templar cross hung from the arched ceiling. The interior was immaculate and regal in every way.

"This place is incredible," Coco gasped.

"It is coming up on its 100th year," Sunset told her. "This palace, the Magnahalla, was built by the Magna Olden Family. The Magna Family was a great line of Templars, but their line has recently fallen apart. All thanks to their idiotic sons. However, their names shall reside in this palace and the Order will continue to use it as the base of operations in Equestria."

"I'm sure it's a grand target for the Assassins," Starlight remarked.

"Ha! As if the Assassins can set foot in Cloudsdale. It's been a good six years since we liberated the Fog City from the Brotherhood. We occasionally see Assassin scouts here and there, but they always get killed by the Hunters."

"Ah yes, those Hunters you are so proud of," Starlight rolled her eyes.

"Do not mock, Starlight. Without them, the Order would have never had the power to stretch their hand to your pitiful Equalists. The Hunters have given the Order security in this city and a force to match the skills of the Assassins. The best way to kill Assassins is to have Assassins of your own."

"I just hope the Templar do not turn into a version of the Brotherhood. Always sneaking about and killing like criminals. I understand their drive for freedom, but they go about it the wrong way."

"There's nothing to understand about them," Sunset huffed. "They are crooks and murderers. Freedom is not in their interest. They only create chaos and the like. That's all they ever do."

"I'm not sure, Sunset-"

Sunset turned around and jabbed a finger into Starlight's breast. "You would not understand the Brotherhood, Starlight. The Equalists have yet to lose a member to them. I've lost too many...and one that was very close to me."

"I'm sorry for your lose, Su...I mean Mistress Shimmer," Starlight nodded. "However, I cannot help but think you have an irrational view on the Brotherhood. They are criminals, but perhaps their intentions are not as malevolent as they seem. One can view the Templar as controlling evil lords, but it does not make it true."

"Nothing is true..." Sunset whispered quickly.

"What?" Starlight asked.

"Nothing, peasant. We should keep moving, the Grandmaster is deep within the palace."

The Templar Mistress gestured for the two to keep following. The four Knights still guarded them as they walked through the center of the grand hall. Templars watched them go by, often whispering about Starlight's presence. She heard her name more than once. Well, at least they know who I am. She did not feel at ease in the Magnahalla, but she never felt truly calm anywhere.

They soon arrived at a large flight of spiraling steps. The steps were wide enough to stand more than two dozen people side by side. The four Knights peeled from the trio and stood guard at the steps' bottom. Their armored hands stayed readied on their pommels as they took their positions. Starlight made one last glance at their helmets before following the Mistress up the winding stairs. Statues were in tall openings in the walls. Each statue was different and depicted a different Templar traditional image. Most of the stone men and women bore little clothing such as rags and flowing pieces of cloth covering their genitals. Some were holding the Templar cross while others were holding books or swords. One statue was of the Clover the Clever, a grand scholar who help discover many Alicorn Artifacts for the Order hundreds of years ago. She held an opened book in one hand and a talisman of a winged unicorn in the other. Starlight knew that this talisman was the coveted Alicorn Amulet, but the artifact had been lost for centuries, unclaimed by either side.

"How long do these steps climb?" Coco complained.

"Long enough to be a perfect daily exercise," Sunset replied. "You should not be complaining since you are not the one wearing this armor."

"Why do you wear it? You do not seem to have any reason," Starlight said.

"I would keep my mouth shut if I were so ignorant," Sunset responded harshly. "It does not only pay to be prepared for the worst, it shows that I am not like the other Masters. I am quite willing to fight on the front lines. I have trained in the arts of Royal Guard and I am the leader of the Hunters. The other Masters simply sit at the top of this palace and prattle about politics. That's not how the Templar get their way. We succeed when we actually take action instead of talk."

"I see. Quite the valid response," Starlight nodded in false approval. You do not seem happy with the leaders of the Order. Do you think something needs to change?"

"Of course. The Grandmaster, though a formidable leader, has been slow and tedious in his actions as of late. They have more fun partying in the late hours and inviting women than planning of ways to defeat the Assassins. I do not understand it. What could be sweeter than plotting the demise of your enemies? The Templar are an organization built upon conspiring against unfavorable governments. Celestia and Luna are unworthy of leading Equestria. Why do we not spend time trying to overthrow them?"

"I thought the Templar tried to assassinate the Empress of the Night a few months ago?"

"That was my idea. My men failed in every right. I lost much of my power in the Order after that attempt. I was detained for two weeks and suspended of power indefinitely. I only hold my title in name."

Starlight chuckled. "Yet you insist being called 'Mistress,' how quaint."

"I still hold more power than you, peasant. I am an educated Canterlotian."

Starlight laughed. "For being a peasant, I am still more civilized than your bloodline it seems."

Sunset only huffed indignantly. Starlight knew she struck a nerve and smiled. She always had fun messing with the young woman. Her fun was coming to a close as they finally reached the top of the steps which opened up into another long hallway. This hallway split into many smaller rooms and had a central lounge room where several Templar rested on sofas and chatted. Maids and servants were more common on this level, delivering food and wine to the higher members of the Order. Such a show of inequality.

"The Grandmaster shall be in the meeting hall with the other Masters," Sunset informed them. "I shall let you see him, but do not be surprised if he rejects you."

"I shall be ready then," Starlight said.

Sunset walked up to a door and knocked on it. A soldier soon opened it for her. She allowed Starlight and Coco to enter first. The soldier who opened the door was confused by the both of them, but let them walk by him and into the meeting hall. The hall had a tall ceiling and a round marble table in the center of the room. Opposite the door was a stained glass window which formed the image of the Templar cross. Both sides of the hall had soldiers standing as if they were furniture. One soldier was vastly different from the rest as she wore a blue and yellow Assassin robe. The yellow streaks were shaped like lightning bolts. Her hood was down, revealing spiky hair that looked similar to fire. She slowly glanced at Starlight, but did not react in the slightest.

Starlight took a step further into the hall. Also opposite her was the Grandmaster himself, a man with a thick mustache hazy blue eyes. His clothes symbolized his vast wealth as jewelry lined his arms and his chest. Upon his fierce face was the expression of disgust. While the rest of the Masters looked about in confusion, he stared right at her.

"Who disturbs our meeting?" a Master called out.

"It is I, Starlight Glimmer of the Equalist Party. I am here to discuss business with the Grandmaster."

A Mistress stood up. "Who are you to demand an audience? Your attire is that of a farm woman, a country peasant!"

"The Equalists are nothing but unruly peasants who believe they need powers!" Another Master spat.

"Quiet!" Starlight shouted. "I am not here to listen to your insults. Save me your nonsense. I am here, as equals, to speak with the Grandmaster only."

"How dare you!" A Mistress began.

"Be calm, Mistress," the Grandmaster said to the Templar. "If she wishes to be so bold, we shall play along. Oh, Starlight Glimmer, what is the business you wish to talk about?"

"Do not act coy with me, Grandmaster. You should simply get to the point. You have thrown the Equalists out of your support. You have abandoned us. We made an agreement to aid each other, yet you break it without a second thought."

"Oh yes, that Equalist party. I seem to have forgotten. Yes, what about it? You and your people have done nothing of note for the Order. You preach on the streets and attract unwanted attention. I have no need of your kind in my Order."

"We have helped you gain influence in both Canterlot and the North. You simply do not want the people to overthrow your precious Olden Families once they realize that bloodline has no place in equality. You are a member of an Olden Family, are you not? You're afraid about losing your mother when the people realize she has done nothing in her life but give birth to horrid spawn like you."

A Master snarled. "Who are you to insult a noble, you-"

"I am a human being like you! We all are equal and under the same rules. Our world is divided into these idiotic social classes. Nobles, peasants, rich and poor. As Templar, you know this to be true. Do you not have a higher Understanding than most? Do you not see what others don't? As the Templar Order, you should be out there, guiding the progress of humanity, yet you reside in here and speak about how rich and blessed you are. You are a waste of breath, all of you!"

"Starlight, you need to calm down, please," Coco whispered in her ear.

The Equalist pushed the maid away and continued her onslaught on the Grandmaster. "You, Grandmaster, believe that I am insignificant! I tell you now, I am more than meets the eye. I am more than a proud peasant, I am a visionary! You should tell by my speeches and mannerisms that I have been educated like you. As a girl that grew up on a farm, I was not blessed to have mother who insisted that I be taught reading and writing. I learned it myself. I made myself into a scholar without the help of haughty Canterlotians or rich Cloudsdalian teachers. If I can do it, then anyone can. Do not look at me like I'm a lesser person."

"And you should not think that bursting into my home would make me grant you pity. I am done in aiding you, Starlight. I see that you have heart, but it is misplaced. Go back to your village," the Grandmaster said slowly.

"I will not move."

"Guards, escort her out."

Two guards walked over to Starlight and grabbed her arms. She started to squirm, but the soldiers' strength was too much. Coco squeaked and stood against the wall. The two soldiers began to drag the Equalist out, but she fought on.

"I will not go so easily. Grandmaster, I challenge you to a duel to the death!" she yelled viciously.

"What?" he blinked in shock.

"Oh no..." Coco croaked.

"You heard me! A duel to the death. A sword fight to prove your power," Starlight proposed.

"Guards take her away..."

"You coward! Accept my duel! Are you afraid of fighting a peasant? Are you that willing to stain your honor?"

He snarled. "Release her! If she wishes to die by my hand, then so be it."

The guards let go of her. The next instant, she took one of the soldier's swords and drew it out of the sheath. The Grandmaster stood up from his chair and drew his. The Masters that were at the table got up and made space for them. The woman in blue Assassin robes was more interested now and had a grin on her face.

"You are an easy one to anger, Glimmer," the Grandmaster remarked.

"No, you earned my wrath. Here's the deal. If you kill me, you may use my body as you will. Take my head and stick it on a spike to show what happens to those who defy you. If I win, I take your spot as Grandmaster of the Templar."

"Like you will win," he laughed. "I have been trained in the arts of my family. For generations these techniques have been handed down. You probably have never held a sword in your life."

"You are a ignorant fool to think that. Living in an isolated village has its dangers. Sudden need for combat is not rare up there. You do not know what is like fighting off bandit raids in the middle of the night and using whatever you find in the shed as a weapon to protect your home and family."

"If you are so brave, then come at me, woman!"

Starlight took the skirt of her dress and sliced it open to free her legs. She then reached into her pouch and pulled out the damaged white mask. With a twirl of her sword, she pointed the tip at him.

"You need a frightful mask to fight?" the Grandmaster mocked.

"No, this mask is to honor my people. May it be the last face you see."

"Enough talk! Let this duel commence!"

Starlight chuckled. "Gladly."

"This isn't going to be good..." Coco said worriedly.

The two met their blades together. Sparks flew off the swords. They backed off and paced around each other. Starlight was the first to swing again. The Grandmaster, with one arm behind his back, deflected the blade. Starlight was not easily parried as she followed her swing with another towards his legs. He barely dodged the second attack.

"You are quick, Starlight."

"And you are slow, Grandmaster."

She attacked again. He blocked it and tried to counter, but Starlight already swung at him again. There was a clear difference in fighting styles. The Grandmaster used few moves of elegant quality while Starlight was a constant barrage of attacks. The crowd that was around the edges of the hall were scared by her wild tactics. More than one Master got cuts on his arms trying to evade the swings.

"You'll tire yourself, fighting like that," the Grandmaster mocked.

"You know nothing of being tired! You know nothing of hard work!"

Their blades met once more. Starlight swung her leg and kicked him in the shin. He grunted in pain, but stood up still. Their blades separated and she threw a punch at him with her free hand. The strike connected, sending his spit into the air. Her follow up swing of her sword was once again parried by the Grandmaster.

"You filthy fighter!"

He backhanded her across the face, sending her falling onto the marble table. She was dazed by the strike and leaned on the table for a moment. He used the opportunity to strike with his sword. Starlight blocked the attack just in time. With a curse, he twirled his sword about, making Starlight's blade fly out of her hand.

"Now you die, insolent peasant!"

He stabbed at her. She dodged the blade and grabbed his hands. In a quick motion, she slammed his hand into the table, making him release his sword. With both weapons on the floor, they started to wrestle. He held his hands at her throat, trying to squeeze the life out of her. She reacted by continually kicking his stomach.

He weakened his grip slightly, giving Starlight an opportunity to push his hands off and take him into the table. She took his head and slammed it face first into the marble. Stunned from the collision with the table, the Grandmaster was unable to get free. Starlight slammed his head once more into it, leaving a splatter of blood on the previously clean marble. She paused once to look at his ruined face before returning it hard into table. She savagely slammed him twice more in quick succession before throwing him to the floor.

The Grandmaster's face was covered in his own blood. While Starlight retrieved her sword, he slowly got to his knees. His eyes soon recovered from the beating and he saw his own sword. He then reached for it, but his hand was stomped on by the Equalist.

"Do not even try," she said as she kicked the sword away from him.

He held his hurt hand and looked up at her with his only open eye. She wordlessly brought her sword's edge to his neck. Her panting was the only sound that could be heard in the hall.

"Please spare me," he begged. "Please do not kill me."

"You beg?" she sounded appalled. "Is this the true leader of the Order? A weak man who not only loses to an untrained peasant, but also begs to that same peasant? Despicable."

"You may have my rank, but please, my family-"

"Do not try to get mercy out of me! I know you, Grandmaster. I know that you never show mercy to any who question or disobey you. Even your allies fear to question you because they believe that you will be unkind. Grandmaster, I live by a simple philosophy of equality. My equality is that in its finest form. To those who do not give mercy, they shall receive none. Those who live by the sword, die by it. It's very simple. You show no mercy, and I will show none to you. It's only equal. May the Father of Understanding guide you for one last time."

Starlight proceeded to slice the Grandmaster's head off. His head rolled on the floor, the only noise in the room. The Equalist watched his corpse fall over and spill blood on the stone. The Templar around the scene held their mouths agape. Even the blue Assassin seemed impressed. Starlight lifted her gaze from him and looked at their shocked faces.

"There is no time to gawk. I am the new Grandmaster of the Templar Order. We shall do things differently under me. I shall start by saying that the Equalist and the Templar are now one in the same. We shall no longer focus on manipulation or forceful tactics but by persuading the masses to our cause. The Brotherhood and the Two Sisters will not know what hit them."

"To Grandmaster Glimmer!" the Templars bowed.

"Do not treat me like I'm a superior. The Order shall not be as rigid as before. There will be no separation of ranks because of social classes, but because of differing levels competence. We shall keep the hierarchy as usual for the shake of organization. We shall also begin the search for Alicorn Artifacts once more. We must have backup plans if some fail. Speaking of the artifacts, I require the Bough of Yggdrasil. It shall be my tool to lead Equestria into a new era of equality."

Two soldiers bowed and walked into a back room to retrieve the great staff. They returned with it and handed it to the new Grandmaster. Starlight gazed upon the two twisted branches that made the staff. It had the shape of a two-pronged fork. The bark on it was smooth yet flaky. A grin crept on her face as she felt a magical power surge into her. It was a power like she had never felt before.

"Yes, this will do nicely."

=