• Published 27th Jan 2015
  • 4,483 Views, 832 Comments

Bloom Filter - ferret



When the most unexpected fate befalls Apple Bloom, she thinks her life is over, but what she has found is something far greater than herself, an ancient secret that will shake the world in days to come.

  • ...
24
 832
 4,483

PreviousChapters Next
The Limitations of Patience

Apple Bloom couldn’t believe she was doing this. She felt like she was going to explode into nervous giggles. She never even had the guts to play hookey before! But then, before this, she never had a whole two months of blissful not having to get up at the crack of dawn, either. And now that Apple Bloom had a taste of paradise, she found she just couldn’t give a single care about her academic record. Right now, she wanted to play, not study!

Apple Bloom felt that way once before, early in her life, but it was eroded ever so slowly as she advanced in school. Shorter recesses, more lessons, less play time, less homeroom activities. Freedom of expression was eaten away from Apple Bloom’s life in bits and pieces, fits and spurts, until the only thing she knew anymore was waking up to hurry out of the house with a cold breakfast. A disciplinary lesson here, a down-to-the-wire deadline there, it wasn’t long before Apple Bloom didn’t even notice how she put so much of herself into school.

But then in a single day, it was just sort of... gone, all at once. Her life as a pony had its share of hard times, but it was like a refreshing return to a world she hadn’t been ready to leave. So to hell with that English class. If she wanted to skip out on it, then she would very well do so! Besides, she and her friends had some really important stuff to do today.

She ran from where she escaped the classroom, her hooves going clippyclop lightly on the floor tiles as she trotted quickly down the hallway. She paused and checked around every corner for a hall monitor that might have been lurking out there, but this far into the class period, Apple Bloom didn’t run into any trouble whatsoever.

The doors out of the school didn’t pose any problem at all. Rearing up on her firm, squat hind legs, she was quite high enough to reach the bar, and pushing it unlatched the door. She wasn’t too hindered from doing so either, as all she’d bothered to wear today was a light jacket that Diamond Tiara had altered for her from a little kid’s jacket. There was some concern about noise, but as long as Apple Bloom stuck her little yellow hoof in place, the door wouldn’t slam closed, and with careful removal, it only closed quietly with a soft click.

Then she outright gallopped, hooves pounding on the frozen dirt as she ducked her head unseen beneath the first story windows of the school, and rounded its walls to the inner courtyard, where Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo were waiting. Sweetie had her winter coat on, making it less obvious that she was a four legged animal, and not just a walking tube of fluffy stuffing. Scootaloo had a pair of modified shorts, with a rather ineffective tank-top on her upper body that had the phrase “2 hot 4 cool” stitched into it, and two folds in the side that her wings emerged from, the folded orange wings easily holding the shirt’s fabric against her barrel.

“Oh my god, Apple Bloom!” Sweetie Belle said in an unnecessary whisper, as Apple Bloom came out of the class hall, gallopping right up to the excited white filly. “You actually did it!”

“How did you get away?” Scootaloo asked eagerly.

“Well,” Apple Bloom remarked quietly, leaning on three hooves to free up one of her forelegs, “You see mah big pink bow?” She pointed to the top of her head, where no bow was to be found.

Sweetie Belle just stared uncomprehendingly, while Scootaloo, tilted her head and leaned forward to look closer, but there wasn’t anything on top of Apple Bloom’s head outside of soft red hair.

“Um… no?” Scootaloo said giving her a precarious look.

“Ms. Harshvoice sure does,” Apple Bloom said with a cheeky grin, pointing back up to the window.

“You didn't,” Sweetie gaped. “How did she not see that?”

“Ah cain be convincing!” Apple Bloom pouted. “I put up on mah binder, so she'd see mah bow and think I was behind it.”

“I wonder how many times that's gonna work,” Scootaloo said, rolling her eyes.

“Ah don't know exactly, but if’n I get back before class is over, she'll be none the wiser!” Apple Bloom said confidently. “Now let's hurry. Ah wanna show you this cool back space behind the walls.”

Sneaking back into the hallway, three sets of ears trained for the slightest sound of a hall monitor, Apple Bloom led Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo over to the broom closet she'd come out of before. “Check it out,” Apple Bloom whispered, pointing at the glowing horseshoe thing.

“Woah, who put that there?” Scootaloo asked curiously, butting up with Apple Bloom so she could poke at it.

“I dunno,” Apple Bloom said, and on reflection it was suspiciously peculiar that anyone would put it here at all. “Try pushing on it,” she said.

Scootaloo did, and there was a quiet click. “W—oah!” Scootaloo said more reverently, her arm effortlessly sliding the wall panel open.

Apple Bloom trotted right in, having to duck slightly to get in there, and she looked back at the others, saying, “C’mon in, girls!”

“Does anybody know about this?” Sweetie asked, standing uneasily at the entrance, peering in.

“Don’t worry,” Apple Bloom assured her. “Ah already went all around back here, and there are plenty of other horseshoes for opening things on this side. It’s like some kinda school themed... secret thing.”

“But seriously,” Sweetie said, poking her pink and purple limned head into the space and looking around it bemusedly. “Does anyone know about this? How could they not?”

“It’s not like the janitors could fit back here,” Apple Bloom noted. “Now come on, ah wanna show you some of the places it comes out in.”

Reluctantly, but trustingly, her friends came into the dark passageway. Apple Bloom demonstrated, sliding the panel closed with a click, then depressing the horseshoe symbol to slide it open.

“It seems safe,” Sweetie said nervously, “But what is this? There’s no way we’re supposed to be in here.”

“There’s no way we’re supposed to be out of class either, so deal with it,” Apple Bloom said snippily. “Wasn’t it your idear that ah skip mah class?”

“We were just worried about you,” Sweetie said guiltily. “And also Trigonometry is really boring.”

“But mostly, we were worried,” Scootaloo said, glaring at Sweetie in the darkness. “You’ve been so miserable lately, since we came back to school,” she entreated the yellow pony girl. “Why are we even doing this, if it keeps making us miserable?”

“You know!” Apple Bloom said defensively, “To better yourself, an’ get a good job when you grow up? Unless you wanna spend your life flipping burgers?”

“I told you, I’m gonna be doing that no matter what, Apple Bloom,” Scootaloo said rolling her eyes. Which Apple Bloom could see, now that her eyes were adjusting. Man, pony eyes were freaky good at seeing in low light. The light from the glowing horseshoes was enough to clearly make out her friends, if not their colors.

“I wish we didn’t have to,” Sweetie said tensely.

“Well—Sweetie,” Apple Bloom put a hoof on the unicorn’s back. “Without going to school, we would never have found this secret passage! You have to admit this’s pretty cool.”

“It is pretty cool,” Sweetie admitted, sniffling. Good gravy, was she crying just about that? Sweetie was bothered by school, even more than Apple Bloom wanted to admit she was bothered, herself!

Apple Bloom sighed, “Let’s just explore this thing, and worry about school later. Ah’ll show you how it works, and then we cain get back to class.”

This mysterious passage didn’t seem to serve no purpose, other than opening into other rooms, but exploring it quickly distracted them from such dark thoughts. Sweetie Belle was fascinated by the glowy horseshoes, wondering if they were powered, or lit up from the inside maybe.

Apple Bloom didn’t have any answers, but she did know you could open them up to get to behind the bathroom sink in the girl’s and the boy’s bathroom. Boy was Sweetie blushing at that. There was a way to get into, and out of most of the classrooms. Really anything that shared a wall with this central corridor had exits.

That’s when Sweetie noticed something.

“Girls!” Sweetie whispered. “Look behind you!”

Both of them looked back, but there was nothing but darkness, as far as Apple Bloom could see at least.

“Ah don’t see nothing,” she said, squinting that way. Squinting doesn’t help at all in low light conditions, by the way.

“The horseshoes are gone!” Sweetie said somewhat fearfully. And justifiably so, because as Apple Bloom could see, there wasn’t a glowing anything more than a few paces behind them. Apple Bloom immediately fumbled with the nearest one, opening it up into a... into someone’s locker? Well, she opened it at any rate, and said, “Okay, ah got one open. Let’s just h-hold it open for me Scoots, and ah’ll see what’s going on with those back there, before we try to bust outta someone’s locker.”

Scootaloo did so, and Sweetie whimpered, “Be careful, Apple Bloom...”

Apple Bloom was careful, and she didn’t have to go more than a few paces into the darkness, before Sweetie’s gasp sent the fur on Apple Bloom’s spine standing straight on end.

“Apple Bloom, look!” Sweetie said in an excited whisper, while Apple Bloom tried to get her heart to stop racing, more than usual that is.

“What is it?” Apple Bloom said, turning around to look. She hadn’t even got past the lit horseshoe section even, before Sweetie brought her up short just now.

“Keep walking down the corridor,” Sweetie instructed. “Watch the horseshoes that haven’t lit up, yet.

Apple Bloom did so, and walked forward, almost to the bend in the corridor by now. And as she did, she could see soft glows growing ahead of her, the horseshoes lighting up as she approached them. Apple Bloom turned over her shoulder and looked back. Sweetie and Scootaloo were on the other end of this stretch of tunnel, sitting in an island of horseshoes themselves. And between them and Apple Bloom was blackness.

“B... but how is...” Apple Bloom said, her hooves clipping on the stone as she rejoined with her friends and trying to get her mind wrapped around it. “Is it because we’re ponies?” she asked very uncertainly. “Why’s it reacting to us just being near? How’s it reacting to us just being near?”

“I don’t know,” Sweetie said, “But maybe we should tell someone about this. L-like Twilight. She’s good at keeping secrets, if the past month is any indication. And... maybe it is because we’re ponies, so she’ll be able to tell what it has to do with our... with us.”

Apple Bloom looked around at the soft lights lining the corridor around her, and could only nod numbly. She didn’t know what they had managed to find, but it was starting to scare her that it might be something real serious.

Apple Bloom snuck back into her English class without any trouble, just right about when it was time for the presentations to begin. And then, Apple Bloom was royally boned, because she spent the whole period playing with her friends, but she knew she was gonna be anyway. After that class, with her bright pink bow now attached to her cherry red mane, Apple Bloom hurried over to Home Economics, which wasn’t her next class. It was Applejack’s.

Apple Bloom waited impatiently by the door watching students go in, looking for her sister. And every one who passed just... looked at her.

“Don’t mind me, heh heh. Just waiting for someone, no worries heh. Heh.” Apple Bloom said nervously, and then she saw her.

“Applejack!” Apple Bloom exclaimed, gallopping up to her sister. “I gotta talk with Sunset and Twilight! We all found something secret in the school, an’ I think it has to do with ponies!”

Wait, was she supposed to talk about this with her sister? Apple Bloom blushed, and pushed off of Applejack’s legs. “Sorry, just excited about ...something,” Apple Bloom said abashedly, her voice dropping to a whisper. “Wanna bring one of those former pony girls here, see if they know why something around the school’s reacting to anyone who’s a pony.”

“What you talkin’ about?” Applejack asked, hands on her hips. “Something is reactin’ to you?”

“Because we’re ponies now!” Apple Bloom asserted. “It was a little glowy thing. Ah wanted to show one of the pony girls, so they could see if it means anything!”

“Weren’t you supposed to be in class last period?” Applejack asked suspiciously.

“Oh, uh... yeah ah was in class I just... found it during a... break,” Apple Bloom said nervously, nervously but carefully. Applejack squinted at the uneasy little pony, but then the bell rang, and Applejack said,

“Whoop, sorry lil’ sis. Ah gotta go.”

“Oh mah gosh, ah’m late for P.E.!” Apple Bloom replied with a frightened whinny. She broke for the school gym at a dead gallop, not even seeing if Applejack had gotten inside yet.

Physical Education nowadays was an exercise in paranoia. Apple Bloom didn’t want to think she was complaining about every little thing, but she was so physically different, it was kind of nerve wracking for everyone involved. They just had her sit out at first, which was a torture in of itself, but then Coach Blue Dandy got it in his head that Apple Bloom was feeling left out. (You think?) But her trying to participate opened up a whole nother can of worms.

The worst part is she couldn’t hardly wear any clothing at all when she was exerting herself. Apple Bloom quickly learned that a sweaty mess of a pony falling over the shorts tangling her legs up is far more offensive than a naked one. She could maybe wear a tank top like Scootaloo did, but... what really was the point of that? It wasn’t like anyone was staring under her tail with anything more than disgust she was pretty sure. It just meant Apple Bloom had one more thing dividing her from her other classmates.

Really, when she stopped wearing clothes entirely it was easier, because people stopped seeing her as a person. It was a lot less alarming to have some innocuous animal scampering about, than to have to acknowledge that there was someone there who was trying in vain to look less like a pony and more like a girl. The less she tried to resemble a human being, the less awkard it got. So she went to P.E. with nothing on besides her favorite bow, and that was about as good as she was going to get.

Today they were playing volleyball, so at least it wasn’t tennis. Not that the racket was too heavy or anything. As much as she was using her mouth for everything, Apple Bloom could have really given them tennis balls a whack, if she could ever hit them, that is. But she could barely hang onto the gigantic tennis racket, and despite her attempts to train herself otherwise, Apple Bloom kept standing right where you would hit the ball, if it was way off where your human arm was stretched out. There was just no way to compete with the length and reach of anyone else.

Volleyball was easy enough, though. Apple Bloom just had to navigate a crowd of flailing high school students, avoiding getting stepped on or tripped over, and continuously lifting her poor, yanked, stomped tail out of harm’s way. Yeah. Easy.

If her team was really unlucky, Apple Bloom got to hit the ball with her head, because when the team was lucky, it never got low enough for her to hit it. But she was real good at hitting it with her head. Apple Bloom was sort of their insurance policy, for when the rest of them missed the ball.

As for the other team, Apple Bloom wasn’t sure if the boy up by the net (name of Jubilant), she wasn’t sure if he kept spiking the ball right at her on accident, out of spite for her, or out of sympathy. But she heartily butted it back every time he did, so it was all in good fun.

Just highlighting her differences made the students even more wary of her. Apple Bloom couldn’t get Bolt to even talk to her anymore during P.E., and he was usually talking to her a lot, since she knew him through Scootaloo’s friends at the skate park. When you’re randomly hurled together as a class, Apple Bloom took whatever friendship she could get. But Bolt was scared of her now, or something.

Apple Bloom couldn’t help but be aware of how the other kids just... they noticed, when Apple Bloom tried to touch her toes and it was just like, “Yup those are mah toes,” while everyone else had to stretch to reach them. They noticed when she wasn’t even winded after running laps on the track. They noticed how she couldn’t be the goalie anymore in football, because it was just impossible to stop the ball with her shorter reach, and her lack of hands.

Apple Bloom was sick and tired of getting noticed.

Apple Bloom actually ended up having to wait until lunch to use Rarity’s phone. There just wasn’t time between classes. Over the phone, the pony alien girls said they weren’t really going to be able to get away from taking care of new ponies and such on short notice. But it wasn’t more than a few days later, when Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer were there after school, along with the CMC, to check out the mysterious secret passageway. Sunset had with her a wierd instrument measury thing, and Twilight had... a camera.

“Okay, show us the glowing horseshoes,” Sunset said, looking down at the ponies questioningly. Apple Bloom nodded curtly, and led the way into the janitor’s broom closet. There, she showed them the horseshoe, Twilight was taking copious amounts of pictures, while Scootaloo obligingly depressed it and slid the panel opened and closed. Then the three girl ponies backed away out of the closet, while Twilight and Sunset watched the horseshoe with interest, to show the two girls how the glow in it faded with diminishing proximity to the ponies.

“I do believe you’ve found a set of imbued sigils!” Twilight said, kneeled down amid the brooms and cleaning supplies, fumbling one of her fingers finger at the hoof shaped switch and trying to depress it. Doing that only worked if they were lit up though. “These have clearly been enchanted to glow. But they can’t glow without magic!”

“Magic, huh,” Apple Bloom said in a dazed tone, looking at the soft light of the horseshoe somewhat warily. “Even ah got magic. It don’t feel like I got nothing, but... it’s right there, all aglow.”

Twilight waved her hand in the air around Apple Bloom saying, “I can’t quite figure it out. Are you somehow radiating magic, or is it just your normal thaumic field? You’re a genuine pony, in an amagical protoworld! We haven’t been able to study ponies in a world like this before. A sigil like this would normally glow indefinitely, but in a world with a dampened ambient field, it might become entirely invisible! Who created this? Who planned this? What does it mean??

Apple Bloom took a step back, at the girl’s very large face getting right up close to her again. Stepping back a little more, and standing decidedly on her own, Apple Bloom asked, “So, it’s like we’re sweating out magic? Ah seriously don’t feel nothing!”

“From what I remember, it’s kind of like magnets,” Sunset offered. “You know how magnets have a magnetic field?”

“Uh, yeah?” Apple Bloom said, dancing around the horseshoe sigil with fascination at how she could get it to brighten and dim. “So ah’m like a magic magnet?”

“You could put it that way,” Sunset said, “In theory, all magical organisms have a thaumic field, generated by the arcanocrystalloids found in their tissues.”

“Sort of like magic sugar crystals,” Twilight clarified to everyone’s relief. “Except with hyperfullerene instead of sugar,” she added to everyone’s less than relief.

“But who put this here?” Sunset said in clear frustration, gesturing at the sigil. “I know for a fact that nobody has any magic here, unicorn or otherwise.”

“It is very strange...” Twilight admitted, sticking her head and shoulders in the crawlspace, shining a flashlight down its depths, taking a few pictures. Something caught her eye then.

“Sunset, come and take a look at this!” Twilight exclaimed, scrabbling back out of her ensconced position.

Sunset half crawled in, shining the flashlight around.

“It looks like hewn stone,” Twilight explained, standing hopefully behind her.

“Huh, you’re right,” Sunset said, coming out of the closet with Twilight hot on her heels. Sunset followed the wall outside, leaning her ear up to it and tapping on it. “Why is the rest of the school just a bunch of cheap drywall then?” she mused.

“We need to tear down this wall,” Twilight said intently.

“You are not going to tear down the wall,” Principal Celestia said in a very unamused tone.

Not a day later, the gang found themselves in the principal’s office again, trying, and failing to convince the principal to give permission to demolish the wall. Twilight, Sunset, Apple Bloom, Sweetie and Scootaloo, and Applejack stood in Principal Celestia’s office. Twilight herself looking like someone just kicked her favorite puppy. Which considering it was a talking puppy would indeed have been cause for alarm. Apple Bloom was missing dinner for this, but it seemed important enough that this was worth it. But the principal was adamant that nobody take down the wall, and she had some good arguments too.

“Despite your involvement in this strange... pony phenomenon,” the principal stated coldly to Twilight and Sunset, “You have yet to demonstrate any evidence for your knowledge being anything other than an elaborate ruse. The community at large is experiencing great hardship right now, and they’ll turn to any hope of help in their time of need. A clever swindler could take advantage of that, leading people to believe only they know what’s going on. Just as you have done. Are your intentions honest? I have no way to tell, but a number of things concern me.”

The principal folded her very slightly pink hands, saying, “First, you seemed determined to keep the school faculty wilfully ignorant of what was going on. Yes, an attempt to contain this phenomenon is admirable, but you only waited until now to come to me about it. I had to learn that my students were transforming into small colorful horses from the the network news. Why didn’t you tell me of this right away, so I could have helped with recovery and adjustment?

“Second,” Celestia continued, “You have already been shown to be withholding information several times. The sheriff tells me that you waited until long after the phenomenon had spread to inform them of the new development. Applejack herself seems to think that you staked out her farm and installed surveillance equipment, rather than come forward and tell her your intentions. And from what I hear of Apple Bloom here, you failed to inform her that she was not a fully mature form of the very pony that we assume you to be experts on. Did you not know she was a small filly? Then why should anything else you claim to know about ponies not be circumspect?

“Furthermore, what else are you not telling us?” the principal stated, wiggling her fingers together for some reason. Apple Bloom couldn’t really remember why, but she could tell beyond a doubt that Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer were in big trouble right now.

Celestia picked up a folder and stated, “Sunset Shimmer, a junior student who transferred, from a high school that will not forward your records,” while Sunset grimaced and muttered,

“Oh yeah, that would happen. I only needed to be good for a year, I thought.”

“And Twilight Sparkle,” Celestia continued, looking at the purple girl. “If that is your real name at all. A girl who came from nowhere, with no former education, no former residence, and no birth record in town hall.”

“To be fair,” Twilight said with a quaver in her voice, “That would all be readily explainable, if I had recently come here through a portal to another world.”

“Ah yes, the portal,” Celestia stated. She shook her head slightly, and added, “Which you are conveniently unable to open, to demonstrate your claim. A portal that otherwise appears to be nothing more than the side of an ordinary stone statue. Who are you really, Twilight Sparkle?”

“I swear I’m telling the truth!” Twilight begged in an anguished tone. “I know it sounds crazy, but—Applejack knows! She knows I’m telling the truth!”

“Quite honestly Twilight,” Applejack said giving her a careful look, “Ah’m not sure that you are telling us the truth.”

“But I—” Twilight yelped. Applejack cut her off saying,

“The whole truth.”

And Twilight didn’t answer that, but the way she stared at Applejack was the sort of way that you stare at a man eating beast about to make a meal of you.

“So frankly no, I am not inclined to let you demolish my school,” the principal continued, “And in fact, I’m not sure you should be allowed on campus, either of you. If you weren’t already working with the police, I would probably call them right now. If you have any evidence that your magical glowing crawlspace poses any threat to the student body, or offers a concrete solution to our pony problem, you may present it to either me or Vice Principal Luna, and we will take the matter of opening up the walls into serious consideration.”

Both of the girls in the principal’s sights seemed unable, or uncomfortable to answer at first, until Twilight blurted out, “You’re a princess!”

Sunset’s face fell in disgust. She grabbed Twilight’s arm and pulled her around towards the door saying, “Okay, we’re done here. Don’t make this any worse than it is. They already think we’re crazy.”

“You’re a princess,” Twilight insisted frantically to the principal. “And so is Vice Principal Luna. That means you have wings and a horn. You’re tall and graceful. You are incredib—” Sunset jerked on her arm again, trying to get Twilight to just leave.

“Wings and a horn,” Twilight repeated, “All three tribes together. Only you and Princess Luna will change that way. And me. I’m a princess too. You know I’m not lying to you and—” she fought with Sunset saying, “You’ll know that I’m not just making this all up, when you transform, and I predicted what forms you alone shall take!”

“I think we’re done here,” the principal said in a tired, bored, and generally disapproving tone. It seemed to hit Twilight pretty hard the way the principal said it, and Twilight clammed up with a look like she was the lost puppy, letting Sunset lead her numbly out of the principal’s office.

“Ah’m sorry, princess—ah mean principal,” Applejack said to Principal Celestia. “Twi is a bit of a wildcard it’s true, but she’s all we got right now. She’ll understand where you’re comin’ from, once she thinks a mite bit about what she said.”

“I don’t mean to tell you who to make friends with, Applejack,” the principal said worriedly, “But do take care of yourself. As admirable as it was you neglected your studies to take care of your sister, I won’t be nearly as understanding, if you do so at the request of those two, no matter how knowledgable they seem to be.”

“Thank ya kindly princess. Ah will keep that in mind,” Applejack said, respectfully doffing her hat.

“I’m sorry the rest of you had to see that,” the principal said, leaning over her desk to look down in thought at the three fillies who stood about level with the desk’s surface. “You should heed that warning too, though. Those two could possibly be a wealth of information, but until they demonstrate the veracity of their claims, be careful about trusting what they say.”

The three were blushingly silent, until Scootaloo elbowed Sweetie Belle, who blurted out, “Of course, princess! I mean, principal.”

Celestia sighed, and rubbed her fingers on her temples like she had a headache or something. “I am never going to hear the end of that, am I,” she said to no one in particular.


Well Applejack thought the principal was remarkably lenient with what she did, not outright banning those two alien pony girls from ever being seen on school campus. The three fillies weren’t supposed to go in the passageway again, which was sensible enough as its only function seemed to be a secret way into a bunch of the other rooms. Applejack was fairly sure that wouldn’t ever be needed for anything, even if they were having an awful lot of fun with it.

After seeing the principal, Applejack led the fillies out to the parking lot, to find the Apple family’s truck. Applejack could see the girls Sunset and Twilight were already over by the bus stop, so she jogged on over to make sure they were on the up-and-up.

“You two gonna take the bus?” she asked them.

“Well it’s not like we fit in the cab,” Sunset replied, tapping her toe as she looked up the street to see if the bus was coming.

Twilight looked at Applejack directly though, and said with a hopeful smile, “We could just sit in the cart behind the cab, if you want us to come with you.”

“Eh, not particularly? We’re gettin’ to the same place in the end,” Applejack replied, rubbing at an arm. “Just take the bus for now. It ain’t technically legal for people to be sittin’ in the cargo area, and ah don’t wanna lose mah permit over something as silly as that.”

“Oh, it’s illegal?” Twilight said, wide-eyed.

“Humans aren’t as good at anchoring themselves,” Sunset reminded Twilight. “No seatbelts back there.”

“Oh, I suppose that would be the case,” Twilight said softly, rubbing a finger on her lip and staring forward.

“Granny should already have the fillies in the cab, so ah’m gonna go with them,” Applejack said to her friend and... friend’s friend. “Meet ya at the farm? You know to call in once you get to the bus stop, right?”

“Not going to go on a three mile walk any time soon, though why your farm house is all the way on the other end of your farm from the road still eludes me,” Sunset replied.

“Quieter that way,” Applejack said simply. Sunset didn’t seem convinced.

So Twilight and Sunset took the bus, while Applejack drove the CMC back home. Once they rolled up into the driveway that evening, Apple Bloom immediately jumped out shouting, “C’mon girls, let’s go get some grub!” The three suddenly starving fillies then descended mercilessly upon that household, dodging ponies and people, but mostly ponies, in order to get themselves something to fill their hungry bellies. Clearly, it’d been a long 13 minute car ride for them.

As she walked in the main house, Applejack watched her sister and her two friends, three little ponies hopping up in the air to accept some fried taters from Big Macintosh. Looked like dinner today was a fryup... again. Couldn’t be picky, when you had to feed so many mouths at once. Big Mac probably took care of the cows already, but cooking on top of that had left him looking weary and haggard.

It looked to Applejack like the family needed help and a half with making enough food to feed and please everybody. They were on their third bale of hay, but that wasn’t looking like it’d be a problem. The cows had eaten way more hay than the ponies this winter, and now the little flowers were already starting to poke their way up through the snow. Wouldn’t be long before they could grow grass again, and... and when spring came, they’d likely have a lot more people in the world who could get by on eating grass.

“Hey, Big Mac!” Applejack greeted her brother, once she kicked her boots off and could stride into the kitchen with confidence.

“Eyup?” he asked, looking up from the three munching fillies.

“Nothin’ much,” Applejack said. She noticed Granny Smith followed along behind her, no doubt with the same thing in mind as she had. “Me and Granny wanted to take over the fryin’ if you wouldn’t mind,” Applejack related to the boy.

He smiled and said, “Thanks,” letting Applejack get right into it. Applejack jumped in with the frittering, the good old twist and flip that she was intimately familiar with. Big Macintosh in the meantime retreated gratefully to try and catch up on his studies. Applejack was soon working side by side with Granny Smith, who’d been driven by Applejack home earlier, after Applejack had that meeting with the principal. What a meeting that had been, too.

Strictly speaking Applejack wasn’t supposed to be at that meeting, but she was nervous about the ponies, and her darling little Apple Bloom, so she sort of hung back after school, and tagged along with them, and good thing she did, because the principal was right. Those two former ponies were acting downright sketchy in how they doled out their secrets as convenient, and Applejack was glad to have been given some warning to be wary about them.

Those other girls would get here in due time, when the bus dropped ‘em off, and Sunset phoned for a pickup from the stop. And then maybe they could all have a chat about the importance of being honest and straightforward. For now, everyone had to get some food ready for the hungry ponies, that was slightly more flavorful, nutritious and calorie dense than hay.

“8 more showed up todee,” Granny Smith said quietly to Applejack as they worked on food preparations.

“So many ponies showin’ up,” Applejack replied somberly. “There’s gotta be a hunnred of them now. Maybe even two!”

“An’ not nearly enough goin’ back to their lives,” Granny quite legitimately complained. “We got ponies tramplin’ this here farm to the ground. They outnumber the cows now. Maybe not in weight.”

“We’ll figgur somethin’ out, Granny,” Applejack consoled, “We just gotta take things as they come, and get people ready to deal with this, whatever it is.”

There was only the sound of sizzling and stirring for a while, when Granny said, “What kinna pony ya think you’ll be?”

Applejack snorted a laugh. “Earth, def’nitely,” she said with conviction. “Ah wouldn’t know the first thing of what to do with a horn or wings. Plus ah’m a rancher. We both are, an’ that’s about as earthy as you can git. Apple Bloom’s an earth pony, so it’s likely we’ll be that way, right along with her.”

“Likely but umnhm... crazy what happened with Ms. Cheerilee there,” Granny mentioned. “To think she wouldn’t get wings like her own daughter.”

“Doesn’t seem to bother her much,” Applejack said happily. “It is plum weird though.”

“Those... girls said,” Granny pointed out, “That an earth pony can give birth to either a unicorn or a pegasus.”

“Yeah...” Applejack replied in dismal agreement, trailing off unhappily as she repeated. “Those girls said...”


“Alright,” Sunset prompted Twilight Sparkle, “What do we know so far?”

Twilight and Sunset Shimmer were in their trailer again, which thankfully nobody had thought to check for license or registration now that it was parked here. The walls were very crowded with photos, and posted notes, and a map of the town, with a number of colorful push pins in it. Twilight stood by the map, while Sunset lounged on the bed again, Twilight saying curtly,

“The phenomenon is accelerating at a fairly predictable exponential curve, that much we know. A diminishing amount of ponies are becoming foals now, perhaps a 1:3 ratio of new foals to new adults. We recorded red pins for where everyone so affected was living when they changed, blue pins for where they worked or spent their day, and green pins for where they first noticed any changes happening to them.”

“And punching the numbers into the computer showed no correlation whatsoever,” Sunset said glumly.

“Yes, the correlation...” Twilight said thoughtfully, “If only I knew more about statistical analysis.”

“We’re gonna have to ask him for help, aren’t we,” Sunset said flatly.

“I suppose it’s better to ask now, than after he changes,” Twilight said with a shudder.

“He was really bad, was he?” Sunset asked with a sympathetic frown, her hands folded neatly in her lap.

“Completely unbearable,” Twilight groaned. “And frankly if I wasn’t tempting fate, I’d wish that I could talk with our version, instead of this alternate universe one. At least in our world, he’s not so...”

“Depressing?” Sunset suggested.

“Cranky,” Twilight replied flatly.

“There’s just nothing more we can analyze,” Sunset said with genuine regret in her voice. “You haven’t studied statistics enough. I haven’t studied statistics enough. I had plenty of time to do so, but I didn’t, so now we’re in a time crunch.”

“You didn’t have any reason to do so,” Twilight reassured her, sitting on the bed beside the flame haired girl.

“You’re right, Twi,” Sunset said with a sigh. “Just doesn’t leave us with many options here, and I really would like to help... somehow.”

They sat there silently for a while, before Twilight reiterated cautiously, “As far as expert statisticians, I can think of no one on this side of the portal more qualified than he is.”

“You really think he will have any ideas about this?” Sunset said with a note of disbelief in her voice.

“Well, if he doesn’t, then it’s back to the drawing board,” Twilight said, “Perhaps some analysts at the biotech lab will come up with something useful?” she suggested hopefully.

“Statistics is not their forte though,” Sunset sighed, “Not statistics like we need. The forensics scientists would be helpful, but they’ve already taken a crack at this, and until more evidence surfaces, all we have are a bunch of pins scattered randomly all around the map, with no rhyme or reason to any of these changes.”

Twilight thought quietly about that for a moment, and said, “You don’t think he’s causing it, do you?”

A harsh bark of a laugh escaped Sunset, attracting Spike’s attention however briefly. “If he could change people into ponies,” she said, “He’d probably end this whole phenomenon out of spite, or else we’d all be ponies right now, no exceptions, because, well, as he would probably put it...”


“I don’t see why I should even bother with anything. We’re all still fundamentally condemned,” said bitterly, an elderly, greying man, to the two beleagured once-ponies. He was sitting his well dressed, lanky form behind his desk, sitting there hands folded, like some kind of criminal mastermind, or a school teacher. The difference is subtle between those two roles.

“Believe it or not, miss ‘Twilight’,” the man said, glaring at her crankily, “If that is even your name. Not all of us want to be precious little pretty ponies. You think it’s the solution to everything, but does it really make a difference in the end? We all have an eternity of death to look forward to, even if your fantasy about walking on hooves comes true. Let it happen, or not, I’ll just keep teaching math to idiots, awaiting my inevitable doom.”

“Why do you keep insisting that death is forever?!” Twilight retorted in frustration, “Why do you keep dwelling on death in the first place? We’re not even talking about that! Why are you acting this way? It doesn’t make any sense!”

“I’m sorry if ontological annihilation has me a bit peeved,” he said with a disgusted sneer. “Get real. Parlor tricks aren’t going to stop our orderly progression toward heat death.”

“How is people confirmed as transforming into ponies a parlor trick?!” Sunset declared in exasperation. “How is that not proof positive that there are certain things about your paradigm that don’t hold water!”

He shook his head disapprovingly. “Oh please, I bet you’re going to say that it’s magic that’s afflicting these poor fools, sparkly, song-and-dance, Saturday morning cartoon magic?” he retorted hotly. “In case you haven’t noticed, our city is home to a very advanced biological research laboratory. And I’m sure you’ve heard of our thrilling advancements in the science of designer pets. It doesn’t take magic to think that someone’s pet project got loose, and people are finding themselves reduced to caricatures, all ready for some young girl to purchase them off the store shelves with a smile and a giggle, and ribbons in her hair.

“Humans tampered with the code of life,” he concluded simply, leaning back in his chair, “And now they lost control of the consequences. This is all basic logic. People think they can reduce us to something comprehensible, but we’re all just a mishmash of failed genes and duct tape. And now we’re starting to learn just what a good idea it is to tamper with that, no doubt to design a humanlike pony... who can really talk!” He finished his sentence with pursed lips, and an insultingly squeaky high voice.

They just stared at him speechlessly.

“Or perhaps it’s something else,” he said casually. “But there are far more scientific explanations out there than ‘The portal to a magical land did it.’ It’s not magic what’s happening, and it’s not special. Nor are you. Nor is anyone here. I don’t care what you think. You can’t convince me that turning into cutesy ponies will stop us from burning out all our puny little lives, annihilated on the way to that cold, unfeeling end of everything. That is what you’re here for, isn’t it? To convince me? Again?”

“Actually no, professor Discord,” Sunset said, and she said it in the way, that you speak to someone who does not have all their faculties together. “What we asked is if you can help us with the statistics on who’s being changed, to try and find a pattern.”

“Oh, well why didn’t you say so,” the greying man said in a syrupy tone, but then immediately switched to unfriendly disgust.

“Get out of my office,” he growled, and then went back to sorting papers, as he had been doing for the first ten minutes that they tried to get him to speak to them.

Author's Note:

Uh oh, what’s his problem?

PreviousChapters Next