• Published 28th Jan 2015
  • 3,642 Views, 73 Comments

Under the Shell - Wuten



A young changeling gets more than she bargained for when she is assigned to prepare Ponyville for the return of her Queen.

  • ...
8
 73
 3,642

Chapter 1

"Our hive is nearly lost, my Queen... half of us are scattered throughout the wasteland and Everfree; how are we to find them all?"

"Enough, my subject," the towering creature interrupted. "Those who are still strong will be able to weather the storm; those who aren't will be left behind—"

"But my Queen, what abou—"

"SILENCE!" The queen's voice bellowed through the cave, and so there was. Aside from the occasional clicking of chitin on rock, and wet droplets from the dampness of the cave, not a single sound escaped the small grouping of bug-like ponies.

The queen lowered her head down to the subject that had spoken. Her matted blue hair hung low, nearly to the ground as she spoke in a calmer tone.

"It pains me as well, Lieutenant," she muttered. "I do not make this decision lightly..."

Her expression turned slightly angrier, her glare unwavering. "But I will not tolerate insubordination because of this decision." Her gaze turned to her remaining hive. "Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, your Highness!" The bug-like ponies clicked their hooves at attention.

"Good... let us rest for the night," her gaze softened. "We have a long day tomorrow."

"Husk, would you come here? You too, Tennae," the Queen beckoned them with a hoof as the rest left the gathering. Tennae, a younger female changeling, turned her head nervously before approaching. In contrast, Husk was a much larger changeling, with what looked to be a dented helmet.

"We are a broken hive," the Queen muttered breathlessly, resting on her haunches. Tennae shrunk back, still a bit timid.

"Tennae, you will be turning to adulthood in the next few days, yes?" The Queen turned to face both of them. "I still remember when you were just a larva..." She smiled, beckoning the young changeling with a hoof. Tennae approached, and was pulled into a light embrace. "I apologize that your passing into adulthood is met with such struggle. I had hoped that things would turn out better..."

Tennae clicked a few times, before burying her snout against the Queen's neck, letting out small whimpers. "Shh... do not worry," the Queen calmed her, gently stroking the head of the young changeling with a hoof, covered in what looked to be holes. "We shall have all we need soon enough..."

"Erm..." the helmed changeling coughed. "What is your bidding, my Queen?"

"Ah. Yes, of course," her tone shifted to slightly more official-sounding. She bowed her head down to the young changeling. "You are ready for my assignment to the both of you, yes?"

Tennae's big blue eyes stared wide up at her queen, and she sniffled lightly before nodding. "What is your bidding, my Queen?" she mimicked the helmed changeling, stepping back a few steps to stand at attention next to them. Her voice was noticeably much higher-pitched than Husk’s, but she clearly carried the same air of respect for her Queen as he did.

"We have taken refuge in this cave due to many reasons," the Queen began. "One is the obvious danger of the creatures in the vicinity; safety in numbers, after all. But another is a far more subtle reason; the proximity to Ponyville, which lays right on the edge of the forest.”

A grin crept across Husk's face. "Would you have us enter this town and suck it dry?"

"Oh, not so quickly, Lieutenant; it is not our way to barge in uninvited, after all," the Queen let out a light giggle. "No, your task is far simpler. I wish for you to scout this town. Be wary, however; the Princess of Friendship resides there as well," she hissed. "At all costs, avoid her. She will not be as easily wavered as the other ponies of that town..."

Husk stood at attention. "Your word is my command, Queen Chrysalis. I will return with my report within the next few days—"

"And bring along Tennae as well," Chrysalis smiled at the young changeling. "I trust that is no trouble, Husk?"

Husk stopped abruptly, his gaze turning to the younger changeling. "Er, well, I—"

"Wonderful, I expect excellent progress from the both of you. The rest of the hive... will work in recovering whoever we can." she let out a sigh. "Now, rest for tonight... you may leave in the morning at your discretion."

"Y-yes, my Queen," Husk saluted, still standing at attention. Tennae retreated back slightly, still nervous. The Queen, sending her out on an assignment herself? Why?

"Good. You are both dismissed," Chrysalis smiled at both of them, waving them away. The two changelings returned to the crowd of chirping wings, as the Queen herself rested her head upon one of her drones' backs.

"Why them, my Queen?" He asked, his voice submissive and quiet.

"Because they are the perfect candidates..." she cooed softly as her eyes closed, the stress from the day overtaking her as she drifted to sleep. "He will teach her well, I know..."


“Are you fit to move?” Husk’s voice crept into Tennae’s dreaming as he slowly nudged her awake.

“H-huh…?” she blinked a few times, before staring up at the helmed changeling. “Are we leaving?”

He nodded, tapping his hoof on the ground. “The faster we get moving, the less likely we’ll get picked off by something in the forest before we get there.”

She shook off the sleepiness from her eyes, stretching her wings with a few light clicks before standing upright next to him. “I’m ready when you are!”

“Good. Let’s go, quickly,” he grunted, buzzing his wings before hovering out of the cave, Tennae following close behind.

A few moments of silence passed before Tennae broke the silence. “So… what sort of thing will we be doing for scouting?” she asked, tilting her head.

Husk remained stoic, eyeing the terrain in front of them. “We are to disguise ourselves as ponies, and live among the populace, while subtly sending our field reports back to the Queen every few days.” He paused a moment, stopping his movement and staring at her. “You… do know how to disguise yourself, correct?”

“Right!” she nodded, smiling. “I just… um, well… use my powers, right?”

Husk let out a sigh. “You’ve never transformed before, have you?” he groaned, slapping his forehead with his hoof.

“W-well, I never really had to…” the younger changeling pouted, the two of them continuing through the forest.

“I’ll help you get the basics down, I guess,” Husk said, turning to look for an open spot. “We’ll need to be quick though. Got it?”

“Got it!” she nodded, taking a ready stance.

“Alright. Focus your magic through your horn, like so,” he stood upright, his horn glowing an eerie green.

“Okay…” she took a deep breath, squinting her eyes as she began straining her magic through her horn.

“Don’t strain it, Tennae; focus, and imagine the form that you wish to take,” Husk grunted, tilting his head up. “Then, let the magic wash over you, and take on that form in your mind,” he said, the green aura showering him as his form changed to that of a brown earth pony with darker brown hair. “It’s important to make sure that your form is discre—”

A large wave of magic interrupted Husk as it erupted from Tennae’s horn, quickly enveloping the young changeling in it. Her body began to transform, taking on the form of a rather imposing black alicorn with a flowing red mane. She opened her eyes, looking down at Husk with glowing irises and a faded black sclera. “H-Husk, what’s going on? How do I turn back?!”

“Well, you certainly got the transforming part down…” he muttered, chuckling lightly. “Just use your magic to dispel the transformation!” he called up to her.

She once again strained, before a wave of green magic once again enveloped her, and she returned back to her smaller, chitin-shelled form. “That was… different,” she muttered, a shiver crawling up her spine. “I haven’t really had a lot of practice with that…”

Husk smiled. “Well, we’ll work on it on the way to Ponyville, and by that time you’ll have a fully-functioning transformation, how’s that?”

Her eyes widened as she beamed up at him. “Really?”

“Really. Now come on,” Husk beckoned her over with a nod of his head, “We’ve still got quite a ways to go before we reach the edge of the forest; I’d prefer to get there before nightfall.”

End Chapter 1

Author's Note:

Well, this is certainly something I didn't see myself doing anytime soon. Let's see how this turns out.

~Wuten