• Published 12th Feb 2015
  • 2,362 Views, 86 Comments

Chaos and Justice - AwkwardVoid



With Discord's keen intelligence on the Shadowbolts Inc and its members and with Fluttershy's interrogation skills and persuasion, they are determined to stop the company from spreading dark magic and find Fluttershy's father's killer or die trying.

  • ...
7
 86
 2,362

Muffins

Chapter 3 - Muffins

The gentle tap of the pen in her hoof to the desk in front of her sounded off the walls of the office, the only other sound resonating is that of other voices.

Tap, tap, tap.

She couldn't focus. Her head was in too much pain to think. Yet she couldn't get it off her head. Get him off her head.

"What ever you did Fluttershy, it worked. Surprisingly", replied Twilight, sending Fluttershy out of her trance.

"I mean, you didn't even do anything. And I used most of my main tactics on him. A whole bunch as well. I had a checklist!" Twilight moved in front of Fluttershy, beaming at her friend.

"And yet, all you did was stare him down and he unfolded an answer to you! Granted, it was not what we really wanted and expected from, but it was something."

Every pony in the room nodded in agreement to Twilight. Fluttershy's cheeks grew slightly red, then a question popped up in her head about the draconequus.

"What's going to happen with him now?"

The room grew silent, every pony looking at the other hesitantly. Pansy, however, responded as nonchalantly as possible.

"It is up to either the chief or judge of Manehattan to decide Discord's fate. I wouldn't be surprised if he were to be executed for his crimes."

Fluttershy's eyes widened a bit at Pansy's statement. Execution? She didn't even know they still had the death penalty law in Manehattan. When Twilight saw the expression on Fluttershy's face, she coughed into her hoof and gave a nervous chuckle.

"But, I seriously doubt that will happen to him. I mean, it would've happened a long time ago for his heinous crimes, don't you think?" Twilight sputtered.

"It didn't happen because the chief was still alive. That's why..."

Fluttershy widened her eyes even more, staring at Pansy in shock of her words.

"W-when...when...the ch-chief...", Fluttershy trailed off, memories painfully flooding back to her.

Every individual sympathetically looked at Fluttershy, remembering the previous chief and his kind acts towards his fellow officers. Pansy never reacted to what she had said and to Fluttershy's depressive acts. She didn't even feel a thing of the frail pegasus. Fluttershy immediately wiped her eyes, not wanting to show her weakness to the officer mares within the room. She curiously looked at Pansy, confused by her words.

"Wha-what do you mean b-by before when my father–I mean the chief was alive?"

Twilight responded as soon as the question was spoken.

"What Pansy means is that... Thunderlane, he was notorious for not only capturing numerous criminals, but saving them. He felt as if every pony, stallion, mare, had a heart, just that it was sealed off by torment or darkness or what not."

"Like their goodness or kindness was trapped in a stone prison", replied Carrot Top.

Twilight nodded at Carrot Top and continued. "Thunderlane, just like you, cared for other ponies and treated them justly and right, unlike what other previous chiefs have done. He was gifted to look beyond their crimes and look at the pony inside him or herself."

"And now we see where you get your genes from", bubbled out a greeninsh blue pegasus mare with a yellow mane.

"Thank you Helia. But it still doesn't answer the question on why Discord was saved when my father was alive," exclaimed Fluttershy.

"It was before you joined the force. Long story short, your father saved Discord from a crime, I don't remember, in Baltimare and has tried to reform him since. Before Discord escaped I mean. Yet every time he got arrested here in Manehattan since your guys move, Thunderlane and Discord have, sort of, known each other since," chided Carrot Top.

"Oh, so like what happened to Dash and Thunderlane?"

All the mares stared towards Roseluck, who clamped her mouth shut once her voice rang across the room. Fluttershy took a glance at Rainbow Dash, studying her guilty yet saddened features scrawling across her cyan face and moderate cerise eyes.

"Oops...sorry Dash. I-I didn't mean ta-"

"It's fine Luck. It's...fine", solemnly replied Rainbow Dash.

The room grew silent, the mares shuffling their bodies in awkwardness. As soon as Roseluck looked at the clock on the far wall, she sighed in relief.

"Times up! Time to go home every pony!"

The rest of the mares sighed as well, leaving farewells and exiting out of the small yet glum office. Twilight and Rainbow were left in the room, eyes on the mare that sat stroking a framed picture in her hooves.

"I'm doing the case."

Twilight and Rainbow froze at this statement, again surprised at Fluttershy's actions.

"Flu-Flutters-"

"No. I'm doing the case. My father started it, I am going to finish it." Fluttershy glanced at her father's picture once more, determination flowing through her.

"For you papa."


She tried to grab at the keys that were in the bottom of her purse, grunting in satisfaction once finding them. She hovered towards the door of her home, the need of having a rest from the day behind her tempting the mare.

The door was opened, only for confetti and balloons to fly towards the mare, her eyes bulging in surprise and shock. She shrieked and crouched in a fetal position, trying not to get hit even more than she had already.

"WELCOME HOO~OME!"

A pink earth pony with pink poofy hair, like that of cotton candy, shouted at the top of her lungs, blue crystal eyes sparkling with optimism and excitement. She had a cannon of sorts in front of her, light smoke coming from the hole it shot from.

Fluttershy looked up at the pink mare and sighed, coming over from her small fright.

"P-Pinkie. You st-startled me..."

The mare, Pinkie Pie, giggled nervously, helping Fluttershy in the process.

"Whoopsie daisies! You okay Flutters?"

Fluttershy nodded and looked her in the eyes, scolding Pinkie.

"Pinkie, what did I tell you about the cannon? And how it's very startling a-and–"

"Yeaaaah, I remember. But it's always a celebration to see you come back from work all the time!"

Pinkie stuck her tongue out giddily, Fluttershy smiling and hugging her roommate. Pinkie pushed the cannon away and Fluttershy stepped inside the apartment.

The smell of cupcakes and other sugary delights wafted itself in her nostrils, the scent nearly driving Fluttershy forward in hunger. The living room was decorated with a leather couch set in the middle, facing a brick wall with a glowing fireplace, a television set atop of it.

Fluttershy dropped her purse on the floor, dragging herself to the couch and falling into its soft cushioning. She sighed loudly, almost willing herself to be one with the couch.

"Well, while you rest, I have some carrot muffins on the counter if you want one. Angel and Gummy are upstairs playing and got fed when I got home."

Pinkie pats Fluttershy's head and trots off, leaving a tired pegasus staring at the ceiling, then at the fireplace. Fluttershy pushes herself off the couch and picks up a framed picture. On the picture shows a family of sorts: a small buttercream pegasus filly in the arms of a darkish gray pegasus stallion, a small unicorn colt with a bluish mane and a young mare laughing at the filly and stallion.

Fluttershy's hooves shook slightly. Small drops of water appeared on the glass of the framed picture, Fluttershy not even noticing that she was crying. She immediately wiped the frame and her eyes, setting the picture down where it stood before.

'Why can't I just stop crying? Why can't I just be over it? Why, Celestia, why?'

A sigh escaped her lips. If only the past wasn't there to haunt her as much. But that's all that the pictures and trinkets all around the apartment did for her. Not only causing the sense of loneliness to her well being, but the pain caused by the good and bad memories she can no longer reach to.

She walked into the kitchen, spotting Pinkie chopping some carrots and celery, a pot on the oven boiling. She stood there and watched. Pinkie suddenly begun to shake and stiffen, turning around to see her roommate staring at her uncertainly. Pinkie gave a warm smile to Fluttershy, gesturing her to take a seat near the muffins. Fluttershy did so, hesitantly taking a muffin and taking small bites, the sugar and carrot filling her taste buds.

"So how'd work go today? Did you interrogate anyone? Fight crime? Bring justice!"

Fluttershy giggled and set down her muffin.

"Ah, the usual. Got to work, had a small chat with Flash, met with Twilight and Dashy, interrogated a dangerous criminal, gave Twilight Flash's love letter, came home-"

"Wait, hold up! Whaaaaat?"

Pinkie stood up and leaned closer to Fluttershy, her mouth gaped and her eyes widening.

"Gave a love letter to Twilight from Flash! OHMYGOSH!"

Pinkie squealed, urging Fluttershy to continue. Fluttershy did so whilst giggling at her friend's excitement.

"We were walking to the parking lot when I remembered Flash gave me a letter earlier to give to Twilight. I gave her the letter, and when she opened it her face turned a bright red, like that you see on an apple. It was adorable actually, the way I saw her read the note all dreamily like. I asked her what was on it, but she nervously shrugged it off as if it was nothing. Flash blushed too when he handed me the letter to give to Twily too."

"I KNEW IT!"

Pinkie got on the counter, hopping up and down.

"Twilight and Flashy sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G! First come love, then comes marriage, then comes a foal in a small sweet carriage! They should just kiss already!"

Fluttershy agreed, taking another bit of the muffin while stifling a laugh. Living with Pinkie was always an adventure, and everyday was just like what was happening in that moment. Having a pony who would always have an optimistic and giddy attitude, who'd always make ponies around them smile and laugh even when in doubt was all Pinkie shined on the world, and that is what Fluttershy liked most about Pinkie Pie.

Pinkie and Fluttershy have known each other since Fluttershy moved from Baltimare and Pinkie moved from a rock farm, having been best friends, more like sisters, since. While Fluttershy works in the station, Pinkie goes to the University of Manehattan, having it to be her last year studying.

But before Fluttershy could ask another question, Pinkie gasped again and put a hoof to Fluttershy's mouth.

"Hold up, one more time. Rewind what you said earlier. About an interrogation with a dangerous criminal?"

Pinkie inched closer and closer to Fluttershy's face, their muzzles nearly touching.

"Um, yes? I interrogated this, um, stallion-" she winced, "-and he is listed to be one of the most dangerous criminals in Manehattan. I d-didn't think he was a-all t-that...bad..."

"Ooo, so you interrogated a creature of different animals parts who can't really use magic because of a shock collar and did so because he might be connected to the magic dealers and in turn your father's murderer?"

Fluttershy looked on a Pinkie questionably, asking how she possibly could know that. Pinkie shrugged.

"Eh, it's just a hunch."

"Um okay...anyway, how was school for you?"

Pinkie beamed at the pegasus, going on about how her day first started to the very end when she came home to find the head of Fluttershy's pet, Angel Bunny, within the mouth of Pinkie Pie's toothless baby alligator, Gummy. But when Fluttershy mentions a specific stallion's name, Pinkie's excitement increases dramatically. She squeals and drags Fluttershy to the couch, plopping on the cushions next to her.

"Oh my Celestia you would never believe it I mean he actually made the first move when I thought I would but I didn't he just went right into it and it was bliss and everything amazing and I literally thought of your cutie mark during and I just loved and he said he would take me out later and I was all like 'Okie dokie loki' and we kissed again and OH MY GOSH!" Pinkie gushed all in one breath, falling from the couch to the floor, her hooves on her chest and a dreamy look on her face.

"Well, I am certainly happy for you and Cheese. I think you two are perfect for being each other's special some pony, especially since it's hard to find another pony just like you," Fluttershy chirped, hiding her small envy behind her masking smile.

"Aw, thanks Flutters!"

Pinkie moved and hugged Fluttershy, Fluttershy sighing and letting her head rest on Pinkie's shoulder and wafting in the sugary scent of Pinkie's mane. She felt happy for Pinkie, but she was at times envious towards her friend, and how she would always be as optimistic as she was all the time, even if horrible accidents happened to her.

'If only I was like Pinkie. If only I was ever free to be happy and giddy amongst ponies. If only my life didn't have so many tragedies. If only I weren't me.'


Discord pounded his fists onto the wall of his cell, the loud thump echoing throughout the cells. He grunted and tugged at the collar that is on his neck, but to no prevail. He walked the length of the cell back and forth, paw and claw behind his back, his orange uniform shuffling at his movements.

"I need to get out of here. I need to get out of here. But how? How?"

He tried to snap his fingers, tried to ignore the pain emitting from the collar, but the current was too strong and he roared at the pain. He murmured out as many curse word he could to Celestia's and the other officers' names, hoping that such things he said were to happen to the ponies.

Yet, when his thoughts strayed to a familiar yellow pegasus with silky pink hair, it occurred to him how he's never heard of and seen the mare before, as well as not knowing her name. What also came was how, without using a single thought, spilled some information to the mare, and all because she said some information the opposite on what was right and use her teal eyes to stare at him, into his mismatched eyes.

But it didn't upset him whatsoever. No, it just made the mare all the more interesting. Yes, she had the looks that many mares he'd seen not present, but had a fierce personality behind her innocent virgin frame.

He looked into the toilet bowl and into the murky water. His eagle claw ran a finger through the water, where it began to ripple and the figure of the pegasus mare was shown.

'At least they didn't take away all my magic.'

He gazed into the mare's face, but found it irresistibly difficult to stray from her eyes. Her big, sparkling teal eyes. He shook his head, urging himself to think of something else.

He gave a sly grin, the image rupturing into where her face is distorted and shows fright in her eyes. His claw splashed the surface of the water, the image rippling once more until it stilled, showing Discord's long face, yellow eyes with mismatched red pupils, a long pink scar going vertical through his left eye. His toothy grin widened even more, the look of a maniac glazed onto his face.

"Well my dear pegasus, you just came to be the next victim of chaos himself."

Author's Note:

Hello!:pinkiehappy:
This is probably the last filler chapter I'm making (as well as my least favorite chapter, sorry about that), for the next will probably focus on the actions of Discord and Fluttershy, making the next chapter be longer and possibly take more time to work on before posting online.
Thank you all so much and HUGE thanks to those who have favorited and written comments and critiques on the story!:pinkiehappy::heart: