• Published 7th Nov 2011
  • 6,021 Views, 611 Comments

My Little Chrono Triggers Are Magic - Pav Feira



Rainbow Dash and her friends travel through time to save their world from apocalyptic destruction.

  • ...
9
 611
 6,021

The Queen Returns

???

Unknown Clearing

Rainbow Dash opened her eyes. She was curled up in a grassy clearing. She could hear a river gurgling nearby. A gentle breeze rustled the leaves and blew gently through her mane. A few birds chirped from the trees around her. There was no trace of Pinkie Pie, Twilight Sparkle, the fairgrounds, or even the strange portal.

Becoming self-aware, she realized that her jaw was still locked tightly. Pinkie Pie’s necklace dangled from her mouth. Looking behind her, she saw that the rest of her possessions were still on her ponyself. She flipped open her saddlebags and tucked the necklace securely inside. She got back to her hooves and started to trot out of the clearing. Pinkie Pie only disappeared a few minutes ago, so she couldn’t have gone far. I’ll just need to hurry up and find her.

Instinctively, she froze in her tracks and ripped her katana out of its sheath. Something’s wrong, she thought. The birds had stopped chirping. An eerie silence overtook the forest. The bushes surrounding the clearing rustled noisily as a trio of creatures leapt out at her.

Rainbow Dash flared her wings in surprise. “Imps?” she gasped. “Here?”

The monsters grinned, exposing their sharp fangs. Half of their height was their bulbous green head, supported by a tiny shriveled body. The creatures were able to balance eerily well on their two legs. They slowly encircled her with clawed hands outstretched. Gripping her sword’s hilt in her mouth, Rainbow Dash stood her ground, closing her eyes and lowering her head. The imps cackled gleefully as they closed around her. One of the imps reached his paw up to grab her rainbow-striped tail.

Rainbow Dash’s eyes snapped open. She leapt to the air, flying around her foes in a tight spiral. With each lap, she gashed the imps with her katana. The imps cried out in pain with each repeated slash. Her Cyclone attack spun faster and faster, ravaging her foes. One by one, the imps’ screams fell silent.

She slowed herself out of the spiral, coming to a stop above the clearing. She hovered in place, inspecting the carnage below her. The taste of bile rose up in her mouth. Well, cool. Now I’m a murderer. She sighed. I mean, at least it was in self-defense. Besides, Wonderbolts aren’t allowed to be squeamish. I wasn’t going to stick to fighting practice dummies forever. She frowned as she studied the three corpses below her. Still though, imps? I thought they only lived in Palomedina, across the ocean. I mean, they haven’t been seen in Sugardia since, uh, like... Bah, where’s Twilight when you need her?

Rainbow Dash flew higher above the clearing, gaining a larger view of her surroundings. The woods were located in a small canyon. The tree cover here wasn’t that thick; she could clearly make out a river—the one she had heard earlier—coursing its path through the canyon’s floor. No signs of a pink pony, and more worrisome to Rainbow Dash, no signs of Diane’s Square. Where did the Celebration go? Where am I? Wait-a-minute, wait-a-minute. She tapped her hoof thoughtfully against her temple. That Turtle-Frog invention of Twilight’s could move me from place to place, right? So, maybe I’m in a different town?

She looked to the south. Her visibility was poor due to a dense fog that blanketed the landscape, but the view was quite familiar to her. She could make out the outlines of the shops and houses of Equus, just where she expected them. Looking to the west, she could clearly see the silhouette of Sugardia Castle, perched atop a small hill surrounded by forest. Nope, this is Equus alright. So what the hay is going on? She shook her head. First thing’s first. I need to track down Pinkie Pie. Maybe she headed into town? I’ll check by home first, see if Mom knows if anypony has seen her. She flew off in the direction of her house.

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

???

Equus?

Rainbow Dash’s mouth was agape. Her wings hung limply by her side. She stood in her front yard. At least, she stood on what should have been her front yard. Her house was completely absent. The grassy field that she was standing on was flat and undisturbed, as if the house had never existed. But that can’t—This is—My house should be right here! There’s my neighbor’s house, here’s where mine should be, there’s the coastline, down the coastline is... She did a double-take. Where the heck did the ferry docks go? She remembered those docks being built when she was a filly. It had taken most of the townsponies the better part of two years to construct. Now, they were gone.

“Well, fine,” Rainbow Dash said aloud, frustration and uncertainty creeping into her voice. She took to the air again. “Next stop is Twi’s house. Even if she and her dad are still at the fairgrounds—wherever the hell that went—her mom should still be around, so I can ask her wha—ahhh!” she screamed. Twilight Sparkle’s house was also missing. The island upon which it was supposed to be built was completely barren. Even the bridge which should have connected the island to the mainland was nowhere to be seen.

She glared off into the distance and snorted. “Enough is enough. Somepony is going to tell me what’s going on here.” Looking around, she saw that the town’s inn was nearby. “I don’t care who tells me. I don’t care how many ponies I have to bug. I’m getting some answers.” She landed with a muffled thud on the grass in front of the building. She bumped the inn’s door open with her snout and stepped inside.

The inn looked much dingier than she remembered it. The decor was wooden and rough, not painted and polished. Most of the furnishings were haphazardly constructed out of irregularly shaped boards, instead of the fine craftsponyship she was used to seeing in town. It was a far cry from the cheery quaint town that Rainbow Dash remembered growing up in.

“What’ll it be, stranger?” asked the middle-aged mustachioed stallion behind the bar.

“I, well, I just...” her voice cracked. She felt a hard lump in her throat. Who is that guy? He doesn’t look familiar. She quickly scanned the bar’s patrons, feeling her determination drain away. Nopony looks familiar! She cleared her throat and asked the first question that came to mind. “Where am I?” She immediately cringed at how dim the question must have sounded.

Confirming her fear, the bartender laughed. It was a good-natured laugh, but this was of little consolation to Rainbow Dash. “So, I was right; you’re not from around here. Didn’t think I recognized the face. This here is the town of Equus, located in the heart of Sugardia.”

I knew it! I knew this had to be my hometown, but... “So, uh, where’s the Celebration then? It was right here.”

A mare at the bar scoffed. “Celebration. Aye, we’ve got plenty to celebrate. A toast, everypony!” She sarcastically raised her glass using her horn’s magic. “In celebration of Nightmare Moon’s army destroying our homes and enslaving us all!”

Her husband tapped her gently yet sternly with his hind leg. “Hush. Everypony’s morale is low enough without all the theatrics. Besides,” he quickly added, a look of relief overcoming him, “it’s not all bad news. The Queen was finally found! Ain’t that right, Lady Firefly?”

A pink pegasus with a curly teal mane, clad in heavy plate armor, nodded solemnly. Rainbow Dash noticed how odd her outfit was; the pony looked like she belonged in a Renaissance faire, not an inn in the middle of her hometown. But right now, Rainbow Dash’s head was swimming with so many questions that the other pegasus’s medieval armor was the least of her worries.

“Yeah,” Firefly answered, looking up from her drink. “Found her wandering around up in the canyon, not more than ten minutes ago. My troops are taking her back to the castle straightaway, safe and sound.” A few ponies at the bar stomped their hooves in applause.

Rainbow Dash scratched her head. “No, that doesn’t make any sense at all. That canyon isn’t even supposed to be there! Just this morning, there were fairgrounds there instead. It was all decorated for the Millennial Summer Sun Celebration.”

The dour mare scoffed again. “I just told you. It may be the longest day of the year today, but the town is in no mood to hold a Cele—” She paused. “Did you say... Millennial Summer Sun Celebration?” The bar patrons’ conversations ground to a halt. Their attention turned to the rainbow-striped pony who was spouting nonsense.

Firefly gave her a sideways glance, arching an eyebrow. “‘Millennial’ as in the thousandth year of Sugardia? That won’t come about for a few more centuries, hun.”

Rainbow Dash’s heart stopped. “C-centuries?” Her eyes twitched around the room. Several of the ponies were staring intently at her, whispering amongst themselves. “T-that can’t be right. It’s the year 1000.” She turned to the bartender. “Right?” Please tell me I’m right.

The bartender remained silent for a moment. Forcing a smile, he shook his head. “Come now, dear. You mustn’t be such a prankster. You know full well it’s only the year 600.”

Rainbow Dash’s eyes lost focus on the bartender. They wandered down the wall behind him, coming to a stop at the bar’s surface. After a moment of awkward silence, she became vaguely aware that everypony in the bar was waiting for her response. “Yeah. Sorry,” she managed to hoarsely reply. She rested her head on the bar and closed her eyes.

Sympathetically, the bartender drew her a mug of apple cider and placed it next to her on the bar. He wandered down the bar to where Firefly stood, and they exchanged a worried glance. Firefly whispered to the bartender; she was trying not to be overheard, but the room was still so quiet that Rainbow Dash could clearly make out what she was saying. “Poor girl. Must’ve been caught up in the fighting with Nightmare Moon’s forces. Not the first pony I’ve seen who’s lost their marbles in all this chaos.” The bartender nodded solemnly.

Rainbow Dash clamped her eyes tightly shut, trapping the hot tears behind her eyelids. I’m not crazy! You are! All of you! I know it was the Millennial Summer Sun Celebration. Millennial as in 1000 AD! That’s why the Wonderbolts were there. And Twilight. And Pinkie. And... everything... She leaned against the bar, waiting to wake up from the nightmare.

Mercifully, the bar patrons gradually started talking amongst themselves again. Only a few talked about the cuckoo rainbow pony who had just wandered into the inn, while most returned to their original conversations. Rainbow Dash let herself get lost in the ambient white noise, trying to shut her brain off and forget everything that was happening. Some time had passed before she was snapped back to reality by the sound of hoofsteps walking up to her, and stopping next to her at the bar.

No. Leave me alone.

“Begging your pardon, miss. I noticed you don’t seem to be around from these here parts. Me neither. No ma’am. Reckon I’m what you might call an adventuring type. Name’s Braeburn. If I could be so bold, what do they call a pretty lil’ thing like yourself?”

Shut up. Go away.

“I, uh, I do hate to be imposing so, on account of we just having met and all, but I don’t suppose you could help a fellow traveler out? Spare a few bits for a drink? I’d be mighty grateful.”

If he’s drinking, then he’s not talking. Without lifting her head, Rainbow Dash reached up and nudged her cider toward Braeburn.

“Aaaapple cider, my favorite! Mighty kind of you, Miss...” He paused, waiting for her to offer her name. She didn’t. “Yes ma’am, it’s a rare breed that’ll show kindness to a wanderer like me, nowadays. Most ponyfolk wouldn’t give me the time of day at all.”

He slurped loudly from the mug of cider. The straw. Of course. So much for keeping him quiet.

Braeburn sighed deeply. “Nothing like an aaaapple cider to quench the thirst and lift the spirits. And of course, I do so intend to repay you for your generosity. Not with bits, mind,” he chuckled nervously, “on account that I’m, ah, currently between jobs, you might say. But hey, you can’t put a price on good information!” He lowered his voice. “S’about the missing Queen, bless her soul. Rumor has it that she was last seen round the abbey, west of the castle. Foul tales of some shady types, hidden deep within. If you were so inclined, us adventuring types could go look for her together. Reckon the reward for a pair of heroes would be quite handsome.”

Rainbow Dash opened an eye and looked up from the surface of the bar. The yellow pony gave her a wide, earnest smile. His large cowboy hat was tipped back gently, letting his breezy amber mane slightly cover his eyes and forehead. “You’re too late,” Rainbow Dash said, pointing down the bar at Firefly. “That one already found her in the canyon.”

“Wha—Already found? In the canyon, you said? Shoot, I checked there twice, top to bottom...” He shook his head, replacing his look of disappointment with a wide smile. “Still, this is reason to celebrate! Our Queen is safe and sound at last.” Standing back, he kicked up on his hind legs and let out a cheer. “Long live Queen Diane!” Several of the ponies in the bar cheered back, and raised their glasses in a toast. Braeburn returned to noisily nursing his free cider.

Rainbow Dash closed her eyes again and sighed. So much for the “good information.” Some lousy rumor about where Queen Diane was, after she had already—She slammed her hooves onto the counter, lifting her chin up. “Diane’s Square!” A few patrons glanced back at her outburst, but most had already moved on.

Braeburn choked on his drink. “Well good morning, miss!” he said after clearing his throat. “Or, reckon I should say good afternoon. Good to see you’re back with us.”

Smiling widely, she turned toward Braeburn. “Diane’s Bell!” This can’t just be a coincidence!

“Bell?” Braeburn’s brow furrowed. “Come to think on it, I did hear something ‘bout a bell. There’s a few ponies here in Equus, working on a bell for the King. Word is, he was gonna give it as a gift to his Queen Diane.”

Rainbow Dash’s eyes glowed brightly. “That’s gotta be it! If Queen Diane is still alive, then there’s no Diane Square yet, but there will be! It’s not much, but at this point I’ll take it.”

Braeburn laughed at the sudden shift in her attitude. “Lansakes! So there is a fire in your belly after all! What’s got you chomping at the bit?”

“I’ve got to rescue my friend! I don’t know where she is, but right now, my best bet is to head to Sugaria Castle. Time to get an audience with the Queen!” Rainbow Dash turned and stepped toward the door, but stopped and turned back. She held out her hoof and smiled. “I never did tell you my name. I’m Rainbow Dash. Thanks, Braeburn... for everything.”

Grinning even wider than Rainbow Dash thought possible, Braeburn shook her hoof with one leg, tipping his hat politely with the other. “Shoot, it ain’t nothing at all, Miss Rainbow. Glad I could get you back on your hooves. Lady Luck be with you!”

Rainbow Dash nodded and took to the air. “You too!” She zipped under the open doorway and out into the misty air.