• Published 7th Nov 2011
  • 6,021 Views, 611 Comments

My Little Chrono Triggers Are Magic - Pav Feira



Rainbow Dash and her friends travel through time to save their world from apocalyptic destruction.

  • ...
9
 611
 6,021

What Friends Are For

2300 AD

Northern Factory—Entrance Chamber

“These guys just don’t know when to give it a rest,” said Pinkie Pie. As she ran alongside her friends, she blindly fired her crossbow behind her at the swarm of security robots.

“Just keep running! We’re almost to the exit,” reassured Twilight Sparkle. She telekinetically grabbed some robotic components from the nearby conveyor belt, flinging them at her pursuers to slow them down.

The three ponies dashed out of the assembly room and reentered the entrance chamber. Only a few dozen meters stood between them and the freedom of the desolate wastelands outside. Unfortunately, the security system seemed to have other plans. The door to the inner factory slammed shut, sealing away the guards who had been giving chase. The overhead klaxon died. Without the sirens, factory lines, or attack bots, the room dropped into an eerie silence. The ponies looked about, apprehensively awaiting the security system’s next move. A doorway near the ponies snapped open with a hiss, accompanied by a light burst of wind. From the doorway trotted a half-dozen roboponies. They lined up along the width of the room, forming a wall to block the ponies’ escape from the factory.

Fluttershy gasped. “Sisters! How nice to see you all again.”

“Your sisters?” asked Pinkie Pie. “Haha, I guess I do see the family resemblance.”

Indeed, the new roboponies had frames that were exactly identical to Fluttershy’s, from their manes to their access panels. The only notable difference was in their color palette; these robots bore crimson manes with a deep bronze coat. The row of twelve navy-blue eye panels stared unblinking at Fluttershy as she approached.

“Yes,” continued Fluttershy, “we were all manufactured in the same batch. Please, allow me to introduce them to you. This here is T-R30. Over there is T-R34. Next to her is—”

“What do you think you are doing?” curtly asked one of the robots.

Fluttershy flinched at the harshness of her sister’s tone. “S-Sorry, we were just… you see, I met these two ponies, and they needed my help to—”

“Negative,” interrupted one of her sisters.

“Your assignment does not entail bringing biologicals into this factory,” said another.

“Unit T-R33, confirm your primary assignment,” ordered a third.

Fluttershy lowered her gaze. “I… I’m sorry. I was damaged and, well, I don’t remember anymore.”

The eyes of the six sisters flared in unison. “Unit T-R33 does not recall her primary assignment.”

“Unit T-R33 is defective.”

“Unit T-R33 must be dismantled.”

What?” yelled Pinkie Pie. “But Fluttershy’s your sister, isn’t she? You’ve got to help her, not hurt her.”

Twilight Sparkle marched forward, glaring down the row of robots. “Oh no, you don’t. We’re her friends, and there’s no way we’re going to let you—”

“I understand,” said Fluttershy. “I am defective, and shall be dismantled immediately.”

In a flash, the six roboponies descended upon Fluttershy. They bucked into her flank, leaving a swarm of hoof-shaped dents along her frame. Each attack set off a shower of sparks, as metal hooves smashed against her steel body. Fluttershy staggered with each blow, but she managed to stay upright, stoically receiving her punishment.

“Fluttershy, what are you doing?” wailed Pinkie Pie. “They’re hurting you. You have to protect yourself!”

“Forget that,” growled Twilight Sparkle, pulling her weapons from her saddlebags. “If they want a fight, that’s exactly what—”

“No! Twilight Sparkle, please, don’t attack my sisters,” said Fluttershy. “After all, they’re just following instructions.”

“But we—”

“It’s quite alright,” Fluttershy cheerfully continued as a stray kick snapped one of her ears off, sending it flying across the room. “It is standard procedure to dismantle a robopony whose memory has become corrupted. I was aware that it might come to this, as soon as I detected my problem. However, when I saw that the three of you were stuck, I knew that I just had to do something to help. After all, isn’t this what friends are for?”

Twilight Sparkle’s heart dropped into her stomach. “No! This wasn’t supposed to happen. I never meant for you to—”

“And besides, we did it,” Fluttershy added. “We turned the power back on. Now you can leave and—Oh,” she gasped, turning to one of her sisters. “They are free to go, right? I mean, they didn’t do anything wrong.”

Her sister answered by delivering a sharp blow to the side of Fluttershy’s head, causing one of her eye panels to go dim. “The biologicals are inconsequential. They will be removed from the premises.”

“See?” Fluttershy turned back to Twilight Sparkle. “Everything is alright. Now you can continue on your mission to save everypony.”

“But we want to save you,” Pinkie Pie said. Her voice cracked as tears welled up in her eyes.

“Thank you, Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle. I am happy that I was able to call you my fr—”

With a final blow to the face, Fluttershy went limp, collapsing in a heap. One sister gave her a shove, sending her sliding across the floor. Fluttershy’s broken body crashed into the wall, where it quietly came to rest.

Fluttershy!” wailed Twilight Sparkle.

“Unit T-R33 has been deactivated,” one of the roboponies said matter-of-factly. “Next, we shall eliminate the intruders.”

“Wait, eliminate?” Pinkie Pie nervously huddled against the catatonic Twilight Sparkle. “I thought you said that we could leave.”

“Unit T-R33 was misled in order to assist with her deactivation. Biological intruders are to be executed, then removed from the premises.”

Pinkie Pie’s face contorted. “You lied to her? It wasn’t enough to bust her up? You had to lie to her too?!”

Twilight Sparkle stared at Fluttershy’s motionless body. A puddle of tears slowly grew on the floor beneath her muzzle. “This is all my fault,” she whispered, half to herself and half to the broken robot.

Pinkie Pie nudged her friend sharply, trying to draw her back to the present. “Twilight? This doesn’t look good.” She crouched defensively, priming her crossbow.

The squad of roboponies drew closer to the pair of ponies, slowly encircling them. Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle stood flank-to-flank, watching in fear as their escape routes were cut off.

One of the sisters leapt at Pinkie Pie. She countered with a salvo of crossbow bolts, which tore into the attacker’s frame, but the bolts were not enough to stop her attacker’s pounce. The robopony landed on top of Pinkie Pie, pinning her to the ground. Pinkie Pie flinched instinctively as the robot raised a metal hoof, ready to stomp down upon her.

A bolt of plasma crashed into the robot’s face sending it reeling. Pinkie Pie took advantage of the opening and kicked upward, tossing the robopony off her. Twilight Sparkle trotted up to Pinkie Pie’s defense, as she fired more blasts from her plasma-enhanced dart gun at the prone sister. The superheated bolts tore into her frame, one by one, until her systems finally failed.

“One down,” Twilight Sparkle said in a raspy voice, choking back her emotions.

She grunted heavily as another sister blindsided her with a kick, sending her flying. As she careened across the room, another of the sisters moved into position beneath her. A well-timed kick sent the falling Twilight Sparkle back into the air. The sisters continued to juggle the helpless Twilight Sparkle, bruising and battering her with their steel legs. At last, one of the machines showed a sadistic form of mercy, volleying Twilight Sparkle horizontally. Pinkie Pie had no time to react; her friend collided face-first into her, smashing both of them into the far bulkhead.

“Owwie,” groaned Pinkie Pie. She struggled back to her hooves, holding one against her throbbing forehead. “They’re not fighting fair. Not fair at all! Oh no, Twilight?”

Twilight Sparkle planted a hoof and tried to lift herself off the floor. Her muscles shuddered weakly before giving out. She didn’t move any further.

“T-Twilight?” stammered Pinkie Pie. “Twi, you gotta get up. Please, they’re getting closer. Here, I’ll sing another song. That’ll make you better again, right? Right?

Come on, Twilight, on your hooves.

Get up fast; you’ve g-got to move!

Let’s keep fighting; we’ve got to try.

If we d-don’t win, we’re g-going—

“Eep!” She dropped to the floor, narrowly dodging an incoming laser. She frantically looked at the five remaining robots closing in on her. “Twilight, please get up! Please! We need to save everypony. We can’t lose here.” She cowered, huddling up next to her motionless friend. Her eyes blurred with tears as she awaited the next attack. “I can’t do this on my own. I need your help. Please, help me.”

“You said...”

Both ponies’ heads snapped up, turning to the source of the voice. “Fluttershy?” gasped Pinkie Pie.

Sparks of electricity crackled out of the wounded robopony’s frame. Dark, thick smoke billowed above her as her circuitry came back to life. Fluttershy slowly rose onto her hooves. Her movements were rough and jerky; her damaged gears let out shrill whines as they slipped and tore against each other. Fluttershy’s remaining eye panel shone with an intense emerald light, focusing on her nearest sister. “You said,” she struggled to speak, “that my friends were free to go.”

“Negative,” curtly replied the sister. “The biologicals will be terminated.”

“Fluttershy, please,” said Twilight Sparkle, gasping for breath, “you need to run. It’s not safe.”

Her emerald eye turned to the wounded ponies. She stared silently at them for a moment before commenting. “You hurt my friends.”

“This is irrelevant. You will comply with your deactivation.”

Fluttershy turned back. Jerkily, she lifted a hoof, pointing it accusingly at her sister. “Nopony hurts my friends,” she said, speaking barely above an icy whisper. With a hiss, a trio of panels snapped open around her outstretched hoof. Rocket engines flared from the gaps, launching her hoof clear from her foreleg. The Rocket Hoof flew though the robotic sister’s head, exploding it in a shower of bolts and circuitry. “Nopony hurts my friends!” she roared.

The four remaining sisters turned to face Fluttershy, ignoring their original targets. “Unit T-R33 has become aggressive. Terminate immediately.”

“No!” protested Twilight Sparkle. “Fluttershy, get out of here!”

Fluttershy’s launched hoof was tethered back to her foreleg with a telescoping cylinder. She attempted to pull her hoof back, but it creaked and refused to retract; the leg had become too damaged during the previous fight. Seizing this opportunity, a sister ran up and stomped down on the pole, snapping it near the foreleg.

Fluttershy wobbled, trying to regain her balance on her three remaining hooves. She flared her wings and crouched low. The thruster jets lining the undersides of her wings roared to life, propelling her forward at breakneck speeds. She glided across the floor, smashing into one of the robots. Her Flutter Tackle sent the pair flying into the wall, crushing the sisterbot.

“Three left!” called Pinkie Pie, excitedly turning to Twilight Sparkle. “We can do this. C’mon!” She leapt back into the fray, attempting to Provoke some of the remaining robots away from Fluttershy. “Hey, you meanies, quit picking on Fluttershy! We’re the ones you want, remember?”

Twilight Sparkle struggled to stand upright, fighting through her injuries. “You’re right, Pinkie,” she said, gasping for air. “We have to save her.”

The remaining robots turned back from Fluttershy to the ponies, reacting to their distractions.

“No!” shouted Fluttershy. With a large puff of dark smoke, her body’s hatches all opened at once. “I told you to LEAVE MY FRIENDS ALONE!” From her body’s core flew a pair of dark purple laser beams which carved into the walls beside her. Her wings’ rockets came to life again, spinning her around in a circle. The Laser Spin attack danced about the room, nimbly dodging around Twilight Sparkle, slicing through one of the sisters, passing over Pinkie Pie’s head, and tearing through another of the robots.

Twilight Sparkle’s eyes flashed. “Watch out!” She reached for her gun, trying to provide some cover fire.

She was too late. The final robosister took advantage of the opening provided by her sisters’ demises. She rushed Fluttershy from behind, delivering one final kick. Fluttershy’s battered frame could take no more punishment; her trunk shattered, sending her broken halves tumbling to the ground. Her face and chest clattered against the floor. Her emerald eye went dark once more.

In a flash, Twilight Sparkle was atop the remaining attacker. Her core-shaking scream tore away at her own vocal cords, and her bruised muscles throbbed in agony, but these pains were the furthest thing from her mind. Her plasma gun leapt up magically, planting its barrel firmly against the robot’s body. The last sister’s head casing burst into a cascade of molten steel, sending her permanently offline.

Pinkie Pie held a hoof to her mouth, stifling a gasp. “That’s the last of the robots. We survived, but... Poor Fluttershy.” She bit her lip.

“Don’t worry! I’ve got this! I’ve got this!” Twilight Sparkle dashed to the remains of their robotic friend. Her horn radiated with magic, and she began scooping up fragments of Fluttershy’s broken shell. A constellation of loose circuits and body parts danced lightly in the air above them. “They didn’t do too much damage. I mean, her eye is busted, and her frame is riddled with hoof-shaped dents, and we’ll need to reattach her front leg,” she continued as hot tears started to overtake her vision, “and most of her coolant fluid has leaked out, and judging from all of this smoke, most of her processors must’ve burnt out, and we’ll need to completely remould her torso, but it’s no problem! No problem at all. It’s not...”

The magical aura flickered, then vanished. Cut loose from their suspension, the array of robotic parts were reclaimed by gravity, tumbling to the ground below. Twilight Sparkle hit the ground shortly thereafter, sobbing hysterically.

“No! Twilight, you’re right,” pleaded Pinkie Pie, rushing toward her distraught friend. “You repaired her once before, remember? That was you! You can’t give up now—not before you’ve even tried. Right?”

“I can’t! Just look at this,” wailed Twilight Sparkle. “She’s ten times worse than when we found her. I’ll never be able to fix all of this. It’s hopeless.”

Pinkie Pie grabbed Twilight Sparkle’s face with both her hooves, pulling her close until they were eye-to-eye. “Please, don’t say that! It’s not hopeless!”

“But this is—”

“It’s not!” Pinkie Pie gave her friend a gentle yet stern shake. “Please, won’t you try? For Fluttershy’s sake?”

Twilight Sparkle looked into her friend’s eyes. Pinkie Pie stared back, overflowing with determination. In her fragile emotional state, it was not a gaze that Twilight Sparkle could match. She averted her gaze, looking instead at the pile of broken parts strewn across the floor.

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

2300 AD

Magno Dome

“About time!” said Rainbow Dash. “I was wondering when you girls would finally get back here. As you can see, your talented and fearless leader carried out her mission with flying colors. Yep, not only did I get that big door open, but there’s a Gate inside, just like Twilight said there’d be. Now can we get out of this stupid future already? I mean, it’s not like I would’ve gone ahead without you, even if I had the Gate Key, but I—Twi? Twilight, what’s wrong? What happened?”

Twilight Sparkle ran toward her friend, meeting in the center of the dome. The fur underneath her eyes was wet and matted. Her voice warbled as she began to speak. “Oh Rainbow Dash, it’s all my fault. Fluttershy’s dead and it’s all my fault! We went to the factory, and I forced her to be our friend. Then when we were attacked, she fought, but she didn’t want to fight. She hated fighting. But we got surrounded, and her sisters broke her into a million pieces, and I can’t fix her! It’s just not possible; she’s—”

“Whoa! Hey, hey.” Rainbow Dash pulled her childhood friend in, hugging her tightly. She felt her chest grow damp from Twilight Sparkle’s flowing tear ducts. “You’re, like, the smartest pony I know. Besides, you’ve already fixed Fluttershy up once. What d’ya mean you can’t fix her?”

“That’s what I said,” chimed in Pinkie Pie. She tipped to the side, causing the large bundle containing Fluttershy’s parts to gently slide off her back. Twilight Sparkle, in her current emotional state, had been unable to maintain her telekinesis in order to carry Fluttershy back to Magno Dome, so Pinkie Pie had immediately volunteered to help out. “Even if it seems impossible, you can’t know it’s impossible until you’ve tried.”

Twilight Sparkle shook her head rapidly, smearing a light trail of mucus across Rainbow Dash’s coat. “But it is impossible,” she spoke into her friend’s chest. “I used up all of the good parts in this dome when I repaired Fluttershy the first time. Now I’ll need just as many replacement parts, and then some! There’s no way we’ll be able to scavenge that much. She’s too far gone.”

Rainbow Dash frowned. “Well, I mean, you guys just came from a factory. Doesn’t that place make robot parts?”

Twilight Sparkle stared up at her friend, awestruck. “I—”

“That’s right!” said Pinkie Pie. “They had tons of robot bits there. I mean, most of ‘em were for robots that looked different than Fluttershy, but Fluttershy’s sisters looked like Fluttershy. And if her sisters lived there, they probably had their own spare parts, right?”

“Leave it to us,” said Rainbow Dash. “Me and Pinkie can run over and grab all the parts you need. Just give us a list. You can stay here and focus on putting her back together.”

“We’ll be extra careful this time. We promise we won’t break any of the parts. You can trust us.”

Twilight Sparkle looked back and forth between the gentle smiles of her two friends. She rubbed the back of her foreleg across her eyes, before pulling her friends close for a group hug. “Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash... Thank you. I couldn’t make it without you.”

“Aww,” grinned Pinkie Pie. “I couldn’t do it alone either. Friends need ‘ta stick together.”

“Yeah,” Twilight Sparkle said, sniffling. “We need to stay optimistic, just like you said.” She turned to address her other friend. “And Rainbow Dash, thanks for offering to get the replacement parts. I really need your help right now.” Her gaze fell. “A-and, I’m sorry that we left you behind here. It was mean of us, and I—”

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes and chuckled. “Alright, already. You know how I feel about apologizing.” She playfully poked her friend’s forehead. “C’mon, we’ve got our work cut out for us.”

Twilight Sparkle nodded resolutely. “Right! Let’s get to it!”

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Twilight Sparkle waved farewell to her friends as they left for their fifth trip to the factory. She turned to look at the floor, where they had dropped off their recent payload. “Okay,” she muttered aloud, “let’s see. That should be enough copper wiring. Wow, they even found a replacement processor for her coordination circuits. Nice!” She gently scattered the pile of replacement parts across the floor, frowning. “Rats. I guess they couldn’t find a new battery for her flight controls.”

“Oh, that’s alright.”

It was all Twilight Sparkle could do to stop herself from jumping out of her skin. She snapped her head behind her, whipping her mane around in the process. Behind her, she saw a gentle emerald light emanating from beneath Fluttershy’s mane.

“My flight circuits don’t normally use much power anyway,” continued Fluttershy. “You could probably borrow a small amount from my primary systems.”

Twilight Sparkle quickly turned forward again. “Y-you shouldn’t talk right now. You’re too injured. Just try to rest.”

“Oh.” Several seconds of silence elapsed before Fluttershy spoke again. “I must be putting the three of you through an awful lot of trouble. I’m sorry for becoming so damaged.”

“But it’s my fault!” yelled Twilight Sparkle. She spun back around, facing Fluttershy with a piteous look. “I’m the one who told you to be our friend—who took you to the factory, even though you knew you’d get in trouble—who stood by helplessly while your sisters attacked all of us. Because of me, you had to destroy your own sisters, and you were nearly destroyed as a result!” She looked pleadingly into Fluttershy’s remaining eye, awaiting some form of judgment or rebuke.

“But you told me that it wasn’t an order. You just wanted to be my friend. I was never forced to act this way.” After a moment of contemplation, Fluttershy added, “I didn’t want to hurt my own sisters, but when I saw that they had attacked you,” she said, staring at the ground, “I-I just couldn’t take it. More than anything, I wanted to keep my friends safe.” She looked back at Twilight Sparkle. “Isn’t that normal, for somepony to want to protect her friends?”

“Yeah,” said Twilight Sparkle, biting her lip, “you’re right. You’re right.” Her eyes flashed with recollection. “But that was my point exactly! I just stood by while your sisters were tearing you apart! I wanted to protect you too, but you told me not to help! I just stood there, watching you throw your life away. It was horrible! As your friend, I want to keep you safe, too.”

An awkward silence hung in the air for a few seconds. Eventually, Fluttershy let out a light giggle. “I guess we both have a few things to learn about friendship, don’t we?”

Twilight Sparkle rubbed the back of her head with her hoof, chuckling. “I guess we do!”

The two ponies shared a heartfelt laugh. The lighthearted moment melted away the stress and emotion that had built up over the course of the day. With this one moment, normality had nearly returned to their lives. There was just one more thing left to do.

“Right, then,” said Twilight Sparkle as she walked up behind Fluttershy, resuming her repairs. “Let’s see what we can do about that flight circuit.”

“Thank you, Twilight Sparkle.”

“Actually, I meant to say something about that. Y’know, you don’t have to use our full names all the time. Just call me ‘Twilight’ for short. All my friends do.”

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

“Twilight...”

Twilight Sparkle inhaled deeply, stretching out her sore muscles. Jeez, I still feel exhausted, she thought. Maybe I can sleep a bit longer; just ten more minutes.

“Twilight!”

Wait, sleep? Her eyes snapped open. Looking about, she realized that she had passed out on the cold steel floor of the dome. She was buried under a small pile of shredded cloth fragments, which formed a makeshift blanket. As she sat upright, she saw the beaming faces of Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash. Standing between them was Fluttershy, completely restored to her original condition.

“Good morning, Twilight!” said Fluttershy.

“Fluttershy, you’re alright!” said Twilight Sparkle. She leapt onto her hooves and rushed to hug the robopony.

“Well of course she’s alright,” giggled Pinkie Pie. “I mean, you’re the one who put her back together after all.”

“And apparently, you passed out as soon as you finished,” snickered Rainbow Dash. “I have no idea why you didn’t just use the Enertron. I mean, that is what it’s there for.”

“Best of all, now that the door is unlocked,” said Fluttershy, “we’ll be able to use the Gate inside.”

“‘We’? So you made up your mind?”

“Yes, Twilight. I thought for a long time about what you told me. I don’t want to see anypony get hurt. That monster, Lavos, is the...” said Fluttershy, as she struggled to find the right words, “the biggest, meanest, jerky-jerkiest creature that ever lived! It caused so much pain and suffering a few centuries ago. The three of you are being so brave, trying to stop it.” She looked around the room of smiling faces. “But I can be strong, too. I think I understand now, what you said about finding something to believe in. I want to protect other ponies. I want to go with you, and do anything I can to help others.” Her resolve wavered slightly at the end of her emotional speech. “I mean, if there’s room for me.”

“Of course!” said Rainbow Dash. “The more the merrier!” She offered Fluttershy a hoof bump, who timidly returned one.

“It’s settled then,” said Twilight Sparkle as they entered the small room on the other side of the door. The telltale signs of a Gate’s distortion glowed lightly in the musty room. “We’ll travel together—”

“—stop that huge jerky-jerk—” cheered Pinkie Pie.

“—protect everypony from harm—” added Fluttershy.

“—and get something to eat, for feather’s sake!” Rainbow Dash snatched the Gate Key from Twilight Sparkle’s saddlebags. As she approached the distortion, the Gate tore open, pulling the four friends inside. Electric bolts tore across the deep purple void as it closed around them. They left the post-apocalyptic future behind, hurtling through time to an unanticipated destination.