• Published 26th Jan 2015
  • 2,929 Views, 22 Comments

The Purloined Heart - Harmonious Tempest



When Rainbow Dash's reaction to Twilight's confessions of love goes horribly wrong, Rainbow Dash will learn how far she will go to win back her heart.

  • ...
4
 22
 2,929

Chapter 4

Feeling the blistering sun bearing down upon her tired body, Rainbow Dash raced along the desert floor. Though the heat had ripped away her energy, her inner desire was still strong. It had been hours since she had left the Everfree Forest, yet to her it seemed like days. With the abrasive winds upon her face Rainbow's pace never missed a beat, but she knew she couldn't maintain this tempo forever. Without some source of water or shade it didn't matter how hard she fought; it would be over.

“Come on Rainbow Dash, a little farther. What was the point of all of that training if you are going to give out on me now? Just a little more.” Speaking aloud the tired mare struggled to maintain her focus as her legs slowly began to shut down. Her knees turned to jelly as her muscles finally gave out, sending her body crashing down upon the hot dirt floor. Breathing heavily Rainbow could feel her heart pounding against her chest as sweat poured down her brow. Staring up at the cloudless sky a column of smoke snaked and swirled into her view followed by an ear-piercing scream of a nearby train. Could it be true? Had she made it to the outskirts of Appaloosa? Quickly rolling onto her belly Rainbow was overwhelmed with excitement as the vision of a steel specter emerged from the horizon. Charging along its metal rails the old 97 to Appaloosa glimmered in the sun's glorious grace.

“Ahh, yeah!” Springing back to life Rainbow Dash drew upon all of her strength as she galloped along the side of the fierce engine. Every step was harder than the last, but it wasn't long before the city of Appaloosa had appeared before her. The rustic city bustled with excitement as both ponies and buffaloes lived in peace. This settler community seemed to have grown since the last time she was here, and even though it wasn't the most modern of cities, anything was better than wondering the desert for another minute.

Slowing to a stop Rainbow wearily walked up the train-station platform desperately hoping she wasn't late to board the awaiting train. “Yes yes yes yes yes. I made it.” Almost floating Rainbow approached the teller's window as her spirits began to soar. “One ticket please.” Victoriously looking at the young stallion behind the desk, it wasn't long until she was in Twilight's warm embrace.

“That'll be 6 bits.” The brunette stallion blankly stared at the joyful mare as she realized she'd been beat. Her hooves swiftly glided along her body as her mind struggled to solve her new dilemma. In her rush to leave Ponyville she never thought to bring cash. Her face turned pale as her search proved fruitless. She didn't have any money, nor did she have any means of payment. “Ma'am, 6 bits?”

“Well.” Shame grew in her eyes as she swallowed some of her pride. “Uhm. Is there anyway you can spot me for the ticket, just this one time? I don't seem to have any money on me.” A sheepish smile crept over her face as her question remained unanswered. “You see. It is really important for me to be on that train, and I have had a really rough couple of days. Could you just let me on the train? Please.”

“Sorry ma'am, but I have to charge you.”

Taking a page from Rarity's book, Rainbow seductively stared into his eyes as her lashes gently fluttered. “I would really appreciate anything you could do to get me on that train.”

“Sorry ma'am. No bits, no tickets. The best I could do is maybe charge you the filly price.”

“Arrrgh!” All of Rainbow's charm was released in a single outwards burst as she angrily stormed away from the counter. Where was she going to get money out here?

“All aboard!” The conductor's voice sung out against the surrounding desert sending dread throughout the rainbow pegasus.

Racing back to the counter Rainbow's voice screamed of desperation. “Please is there anyway you could let me on that train. I promise I will pay you back. Please.”

“I'm truly sorry ma'am, but there is nothing I can do. You have to have a ticket.” The smokestack let out a monstrous scream as the metal beast slowly crept forward. Realizing her time was up her eyes grew wide in panic. Springing over the turnstile she charged down the wooden platform. Her hooves lightly kissed the floor as her wings pressed tight against her sides. As her vision narrowed on her target she could hear the teller screaming behind her. “Hey you can't do that! You need a ticket!” Ignoring his willful cries to stop, Rainbow's head swiveled around as her tongue playfully extruded from her lips. In the midst of her arrogance the cyan pony was unaware of the new obstacle in her path.

Crash! With a great force the two ponies tumbled along the ground as the train disappeared off in the distance. “Oh, are you all right miss. I guess I should've paid a little better attention to where I was going.”

“Aghh, horse apples!” Blinded by her anger Rainbow quickly climbed to her hooves and stormed off of the platform, ignoring all ponies around her. “What am I going to do now? Is anything gonna go my way?” Releasing a powerful sigh Rainbow quickly headed into town. Without any money she was left with walking. At least she could hit up the local saloon for some free cider. She might be into mares, but the stallions of this town didn't need to know that.

“Rainbow Dash? Why, I haven't seen you since the whole buffalo incident. What brings you to Appaloosa?” Returning his hat atop his golden mane Braeburn graciously welcomed his friend as she joyfully trotted close behind. “I hope I didn't cause you to miss your train.”

Slowly turning her head the image of the country pony came into view. Maybe Rainbow's luck hadn't ran out yet. Quickly changing her attitude Rainbow's voice grew in excitement. “Braeburn. You don't know how happy I am to see you. Oh, and sorry for running into you.”

“Think nothing of it. So your looking...” Braeburn's words trailed off as he studied Rainbow's fatigued figure.

“It's that bad uh?”

“Now I wouldn't say that. You just look like you could use a tall glass of cider is all.” A playful smirk raced across his face as he directed the cyan mare toward his home. “And while we are at it. I'll take a look at your wing. It looks like you've been rode hard and put away wet.”

“Lets just say its been a long couple of days.” Rainbow's hoof ran along her swollen wing as a surge of pain rushed through her bones. She knew it wasn't anything too serious, but she would hate to let what was a minor injury turn into something bad. “So how's things going here in Appaloosa. I see everypony is getting along alright. It is nice seeing the settlers and the buffalo living side by side.”

“We've come a long way since our treaty, but not everypony has the same fondness towards the buffalo as you do.” Braeburn's voice grew soft as his thoughts focused on his love. Taking in a deep breath the blonde colt could feel his optimism slowly fade. “Maybe one day they will let us be together.”

“Let whom be together?” Leaning into his view Rainbow tried her best not to over step her bounds.

“Oh nothing.” His hoof playfully fidgeted with his bangs as his cheeks turned a reddish hue.

“Apparently not. There is clearly something on your mind. So, why don't you tell me over that cider you were talking about.” Gently nudging him in the side the young pegasus lightly placed her hoof around his shoulder. She may not have been the best at comforting her friends, but she was always there to try.

“I would like that. My house is just down the road from here.” Strolling through the dusty streets, Rainbow Dash couldn't help but lose herself to the familiar sights and sounds of the city. The smell of apples filled the air sending water cascading from her lips. Oh what she would give for a slice of their famous apple pie, especially since she hadn't eaten in a couple of days.

The idea of having something cold to drink slowly drowned out all of Rainbow's thoughts as the two ponies grew closer to their destination. The red balcony and wooden shutters gave Braeburn's home a welcoming vibe that only a mare could create, but Rainbow could have sworn Braeburn was a bachelor. Unable to hold back her hunger any longer Rainbow briskly rushed through his front door and straight into his kitchen. “I hope you don't mind if I help myself. I was....” Screeching to a halt everything seemed to fall into place. “Oh my gosh! You're in love with Little Strongheart!”

The room stood silent as Braeburn froze in fear. Sweat boiled down his face as his front hooves nervously danced in place. “What...What gave you that idea?” His throat swallowed hard as he struggled to maintain his cool. Was Rainbow's reaction one of support or like so many others in this town drawn from a place of pure ignorance and hate?

“You don't have to hide it. Not only is she smart, but she is a very beautiful girl. I can see why you are attracted to her.” Casually returning from the kitchen with a cold glass of cider in one hoof and a slice of pie in the other, Rainbow was quick to notice the misery in Braeburn's stare. “Are you alright? You're looking a little pale.”

“It's not that easy. We've been going out for a little while now, and let's just say some of the other settlers aren't as open to the idea of seeing a pony and a buffalo dating.”

“Do you really care what anypony else thinks of your relationship? The only opinions you should worry about is your own and Strongheart's.

Sorrow filled his every word as his heart writhed in agony. “It wouldn't be so bad if they just came at me, but it's they way they treat her that hurts the most. What if the world looked at the pony you loved with such animosity?”

Rainbow stood motionless as his question sunk into her head. It was easy for her to tell somepony else to just ignore all of the hate, but could she turn that same attitude to her own situation? Though her ego still needed constant gratification from others it was Twilight's life that worried her the most. Twilight was a princess now. Not only did she have to lead a kingdom, but her every action was public scrutiny. It was one thing for Rainbow Dash to come out to the town of Ponyville, but to come out to all of Equestria was a different matter. “I understand how you feel. We can't help who we fall in love with. As long as you have each others love, I am certain you two can endure whatever the world has in stored. Hopefully in time I can safely say the same, but I do know I can always turn to my friends for strength.” Lightly placing her hoof around Braeburn's shoulder Rainbow fondly look into his green eyes. “Just know I am here for you as well.”

“Thank you Rainbow Dash, but kind sentiment can only get us so far.”

“I'm not going to tell you that there won't be any challenges, but I'm positive it's worth every second to be with her.” Hearing herself speak with such confidence softened her own worries. If Braeburn and Strongheart could survive the storm than why couldn't she?

Wiping a tear from his eyes Braeburn attempted to change the subject. “I'm sorry Rainbow. I never asked what brought you into town.”
“Speaking of love, I...” Digging deep Rainbow revealed everything that had transpired. Though she still feared his reaction, she knew that her story needed to be told. “And that about sums it up. Well?” Rainbow's head slightly tilted to the side as she awaited his response.

“ Well, it sounds like we need to get you up those mountains.” Shooting her a warm grin, Braeburn slowly raised from his chair. “You're not alone Rainbow Dash. We will get you to Twilight.”

Radiating with excitement Rainbow rocketed out of her seat. “Let's do...Owww!” Reminded of her still damaged wing Rainbow's tone returned to its normal arrogance. “I sure hope so. I don't think my wing can take much more.”

“Yeah, let me take a closer look at that.” With each slight movement of her wing the cyan mare let out a tiny whimper. “I am no doctor, but it's safe to say it's not broken. I don't think you will be flying anytime soon though.”

“I guess I'm walking up the Macintosh Hills.”

“Nonsense, why don't you let me buy you a train ticket. I mean, we are practically family. Right?”

“Really, you'd do that for me.” Carefully wrapping a bandage around her burnt feathers the young pegasus was overcome with joy.

“Of course. We can continue our talk while we wait for the next train.”

Time melted away as the two ponies carried on about their lives. Though it was hard to believe, Rainbow's journey was almost done. All that stood in her way was a peaceful ride into the mountains. Maybe it was a blessing she had missed that train. Running into Braeburn helped her through a lot of emotional baggage, and she was in a better place because of it. What ever happened between her and Twilight, they would be fine.

Hearing a whistle bellow out across the beautiful desert the two friends rose from the small bench and prepared for their departure. “Braeburn, I can't thank you enough. I'm glad I ran into you. Seriously, I didn't have any money, and I really didn't want to walk.”

“Twernt nothing, Your wing is looking a lot better. I'll bet you'll be flying before you know it.”

“It looks worst than it feels, but it'll heal.”

The train doors open revealing a small older pony. With a slight nod of his head they knew it was time. “Well this is you. It was nice visiting with you Rainbow Dash. I hope everything works out.”

“Thanks again. I mean it. Until next time.”

“Until then.” Sharing in a momentary embrace Rainbow soon found herself staring out of the window of the train. With the desert rushing passed she had nothing but time. “Twilight, I'm still coming. Not much longer now.”

Steadily charging down the track, Rainbow's body started to relax as she sank deeper into the soft cushioned seat. It was nice for something to finally work out in her favor, but that didn't mean Rainbow needed to let her guard down. Climbing back into her seat Rainbow Dash lowered her head onto her hooves. With the steady rocking of the steam engine on the steal track Rainbow prepared herself for the final act. The time had arrived to prove her worth. The beauty of the Macintosh Hills hung just over the horizon along with a black cloud of smog. Rainbow Dash wasn't afraid of dragons, but that didn't make them any less of a threat. It was important that from this point on she stay as stealthy as possible. The last thing she needed to do was let some dragon make her its dinner. For now there was nothing left to do, but wait.