• Published 4th May 2012
  • 15,469 Views, 207 Comments

A Change of Face - TheDeinonychus



Since they first met, Bon Bon and Lyra have been in love. But is one of them hideing a dark secret?

  • ...
21
 207
 15,469

Part 3 - A True Heart

A Change of Face

by

TheDeinonychus

Part 3

A True Heart






The shadows grew as the moments ticked by. Every beat of her heart meant that the sun sank lower and lower behind the mountains, and the shadows cast by the homes and businesses of Ponyville grew that much closer to enveloping the false pony in her desperate search. After leaving the library and the lavender unicorn, Bon Bon had started going from door to door, stopping ponies on the street, asking if any of them had seen Lyra. A few had said they saw her running through town earlier, but no one seemed to know where she had run off to. With every door opened, with every pony questioned, Bon Bon's heart started to sink little by little. It was maddening. Everywhere she looked, she saw ponies. Ponies of all shapes and colors except those of the one pony that mattered. The one pony she couldn't live without was nowhere to be seen.

Silently she cursed herself; this was all her fault. She had let herself fall in love. In love with somepony who should have been nothing but food to her. Changelings were never meant to feel love, only to consume it. To drain it from others like sweet nectar from a flower. But she couldn't help it! That flower had been so beautiful, so sweet. She couldn't bear the thought of it withering and wasting away as all the goodness was drained from it. Not now, not after everything they had been through, not everything they had shared. Everything that Lyra had taught her.

In her heart, as black and malformed as it was, Bon Bon had felt something. The tiny, little emerald gem that has been the love of another. Not the oily, dripping love sucked from a pony by a cocoon, but the pure, untainted love given only by somepony who asked nothing in return. Nothing was expected, but the feeling it gave, it begged to be given back in kind. That little minty emerald was the most precious thing in the world to the false pony. That is, next to the pony who had shared it with her.

Her hooves stomped on the cooling cobblestones, a heat rising in her chest as the thought about the unicorn she loved. Her hooves were starting to hurt from all the running she had done. If only she could afford to drop her disguise, to spread those accursed wings of hers, she could fly over the town and hopefully that would let her find where her beloved had run off to. But then, everything she had done, everything she had hoped to save would be lost. She had to find Lyra, had to talk with her before she could think of anything else, to hope that the terrified unicorn hadn't told anyone else about the changeling's secret.

As the shadows grew still larger, and lights started to turn on in windows all across Ponyville, Bon Bon carried her aching heart with that little emerald hidden within towards a group of ponies talking amongst each other outside a small sweet shop, hoping that one of them had seen where her beloved had run to.

------------------------------

Mud splashed up over her hooves as she stepped into a puddle, the sullen unicorn slowly making her way through the oppressive darkness of the Everfree Forest. Lyra's head hung low as she trudged onward, hoping that any moment she would break through the trees and see the open fields that separated her home from this benighted wood. She had started to worry that there was some strange curse upon this place, slowly sapping away her magic, as the glow from her horn seemed unable to light more than a few feet around her now that night had truly set in. That strange magical jolt she had felt earlier sure seemed to back up the theory. But even that wasn't the worst thing that plagued her mind.

This was the Everfree Forest. Ponies feared to go into these woods for a reason. It was filled with dangers. Timber wolves prowled through the bushes, their claws like gnarled roots and teeth like sharpened branches. Hydras laid in wait at the bottoms of ponds and swamps that dotted the forest, their massive maws waiting to snatch up anything foolish enough to risk a drink of the tepid waters. Ursas slept in the bowels of dark caves, their snores rumbling the earth when they weren't waiting for a tasty meal to wander past. But far worse in the minty unicorn's mind, this was where SHE was!

After the Royal Guards had found her, saved her from that horrid cocoon, she heard what had happened, how the power unleashed by the love of two ponies had forced the changelings and their queen out of Canterlot. But where it had forced them, the unicorn feared she was now all too close. They had been flung deep into the Everfree, scattered amongst its trees and hidden dangers. Of all the creatures that roamed these woods, they may not have been the largest or most powerful, but they were the ones that gripped Lyra's heart with more fear than any other.

Had that changeling come from the Everfree for her? Had its queen wanted her back, to drain the life from her as revenge for some perceived offense back in Canterlot? Had it...had it taken Bon Bon just to tear the poor unicorn's heart in two? Lyra had to squeeze her eyes shut, trying to stop the tears that now trickled from the corners of her eyes. If something had happened to Bon Bon, she would never be able to forgive herself. If she hadn't been so eager, so excited to be a bride's mare at a royal wedding. The changelings would never have known about her. Would never have known of the love she had for the sweet earth pony. Bon Bon could be ponynapped. Imprisoned, or worse! And it was all her fault.

As guilt flooded her body, it was all she could do to keep from collapsing in a sobbing heap on the mossy ground. She could feel her knees wanting to buckle, to just lay down there and let the forest take her. She couldn't imagine living her life without her sweet mare, and she didn't think she'd ever want to try. Without her, without the one thing that made her heart sing, the musician couldn't imagine ever being able to play her lyre again. She had written songs about her. They were mushy and made without an ear towards pleasing a crowd, but she hadn't cared. They were made for only one pair of ears to ever hear. The only ones that mattered, and now they may never hear the sweet, tender tones ever again.

Lyra felt like a mare broken. Her out of control imagination sapped her will to go on. Slowly, she could only manage a few more trembling steps before her limbs locked up. Her mind locked on the edge, one push and she could tumble over into the bottomless pit of sorrow, a pit lined with the sharp fangs and glowing eyes of those horrid changelings. The magical glow of her horn started to waver, the last traces of her resolve starting to ebb away, losing the concentration and focus they offered to keep that tiny light alive.

She could feel herself swaying, the edge of that pit looming closer and closer in her mind, just a few more moments and she would collapse into that cold, dark embrace, never to feel the warm love of her sweet candy mare ever again. Something broke that dark despair, ringing in her ears. Her tear-filled eyes snapped open, wide and fearful as she glanced around. A branch had broken, snapped somewhere off in the darkness. Thoughts of those horrible creatures flashed before her eyes over and over again. Something was there, something was watching her. Her heart turned into a steam engine, pumping furiously as the moments slipped by like hot coals into a boiler. With each one she could feel the pounding in her chest getting harder and louder, the rush of blood filling her ears with sound, till everything seemed to seize up at once. Her heart stopped for a moment, just long enough for another snap to ring out behind her.

That was all she could stand. Lyra reared up on her hind legs, horn once again glowing as brightly as she could force it, and with a gasp she barreled off through the bushes. She could hear something move after her, quickly but just keeping out of the short range her glowing horn could illuminate the gloom. Something was trying to catch her. As much as she almost wanted this nightmare to end in any way possible, the panic that it could truly end right then and there had been too much. She wasn't ready to let it end, not yet. Not while deep inside, jostling around inside that madly pumping heart, there was a tiny little stone. Not creamy marble, or pink ruby, or even blue sapphire. Unknown to her, it was smooth, shiny onyx with tiny flecks of purest emerald.

------------------------------

The moon hung full in the sky, it silvery light illuminating the deep shadows that now covered Ponyville. She had heard it said once that the full moon was Luna's blessing to lovers everywhere. Right now, Bon Bon sorely wished that this was true. She felt she could use any blessing she could get. She felt she had ran all over the town, at least twice. Everywhere she went, every pony she questioned, there was not one trace of her sweet mint mare. She could feel tears starting to well up in her imitation blue eyes, could feel that tiny little emerald starting to turn into a heavy, cold rock deep inside her heart. She was at her wit's end. She had searched one end of Ponyville to the other; her hooves felt as if they would start bleeding at any moment if they were forced through one more step.

For a moment, she considered just letting it all go. Of just sitting there and letting her disguise melt away. Screaming in all the pain and anguish as her true self was revealed to all, just to let an angry mob form and take her away to the end of all this suffering. The idea turned over in her head for a bit, an almost giddy feeling as it started to seem more and more like the best idea. It would be a fitting end, wouldn't it? Just let the angry ponies mob the monster and drag her off to be burnt at the stake. She was a monster, that she was starting to become sure of. She had done something more monstrous than even a queen could; she had destroyed the heart of someone she loved. If that didn't make her a monster, she didn't know what did.

Tears started to roll down the false pony's cheeks, splattering softly on the cobbled road as she sat there. This town, this world, it would be better off without this one changeling, wouldn't it? Lyra would be better off with her, wouldn't she? Would she? A little voice cried in her head, begging to be heard. Just how would Lyra be? How would the other ponies see her if Bon Bon's secret was uncovered? Would they just think that the changeling had tricked her? Had fooled the unicorn into taking her in? Or would they blame her? Would they think she was helping the changelings? Working with them in some evil scheme to drain the love and life out of Ponyville? Would they suspect her of being one? Of being a monster?

Bon Bon laid down in the middle of the street, her fake hooves covering her face as she tried to deny her thoughts. Tried to come up with some happy, peaceful life for that sweet pony she wished she could hold. But her mind betrayed her, wouldn't give her a moment's peace. Every thought turned into a sad, horrible tale of pain and loneliness, all penned by her hoof. Burying her face in her forelegs, she screamed at the images racing through her mind. If she was going to let it all end, she couldn't do it here. She couldn't let the ponies know, not to protect herself, but to protect that innocent, perfect mare. Forcing her aching hooves to the ground once more, she pushed herself off, tears still streaming down her creamy cheeks as she took off at a gallop, trying to send herself as far from Ponyville as she could. Her eyes shut, she didn't care where she was going, or what was in her way.

Her plans to bring an end to her pain and heartache ended abruptly, the distraught false pony crashing headlong into something. Or rather somepony. The impact didn't seem to bother the walking roadblock much, but it sent Bon Bon bouncing back, her rump crashing to the street hard, forcing a pained yelp from her fake lips. Wincing, she slowly opened her trembling eyes to a curious sight. The pony stood in front of her, a mare by the looks of things, with some ragged, thread-bear cloak tied around her neck, it's hood pulled down deep enough so that all the disguised changeling could see was the pony's muzzle. The mare's coat was a muted purple, broken by odd orange splotches. One such splotch graced her chest in a rough, messy shape of a heart. As she sat there, gazing up at the strange mare, the pony's muzzle started to spread, lips turning up into a wide, almost insane grin. The teeth her lips uncovered weren't like any pony Bon Bon had seen, nor were they quite like a changeling. Every one of them was sharp and pointed, like the teeth of a saw. The confused mare started to feel uneasy and nervous as that grin just seemed to go on and on, but thankfully it wasn't to last forever, as it's owner turned and took off at a full gallop, her blue and orange tail, all tangles and unkempt, flitting about behind her. Tilting her head at the odd display, Bon Bon could just barely make out the mare's cutie mark. It looked to be some sort of scale, the kind one might find at a bank or merchant's shop, tilted wildly out of balance.

The oddness of it all left her in a bit of a daze, so much so she didn't think to even ask who the mare was till she had already disappeared down a dark alley between some buildings. Bon Bon wished she could say that this had been the strangest thing to happen to her all day, but sadly it wasn't. It did leave the false mare with more questions than she honestly could ever want. As she shook the strangeness from her mind, starting to get back to her hooves, the thought to continue her search for a place to end everything was suddenly pushed away by a voice calling from way off behind her.

"Bon Bon!"

There, at that moment, were only two things that could have sounded more wonderful to the poor false pony. One was the sound of lyre strings being plucked. The other would of been the voice of the one plucking those strings. But this voice, it brought fresh hope when she had thought the world had suddenly ran dry of it.

"T-twilight?" she said with a slight sniffle as she turned around, her eyes spying the lavender mare running up towards her in the distance. New strength filled her limbs, and the pain in her hooves forgotten for the moment as she ran off to meet her. By the time she got to the librarian, they were both panting slightly. "What...what is it? Did you find her? D-did you find Lyra?"

Twilight took a moment to catch her breath, a slight smile at the hopeful squeak in the earth pony's voice. "Yes, I did. But...but I'm afraid you're not going to like where she is..."

Worry started to knit over Bon Bon's face. It had become a feeling she unfortunately had grown used to over the course of the day. That little emerald in her heart seemed to pulse, reminding her that even if the news was bad, she had to know what had happened to her beloved unicorn.

"Please, Twilight. I need to know where she is."

"After you left, I started looking through my spell books. I had found one spell that's used to locate a particular unicorn by searching for their magic." The librarian explained as her horn glowed slightly; out of her mane she floated a rolled up scroll. "But it only works if that unicorn is using their magic right then. I knew it was a long shot, but it was the only thing I could think of."

At that, the purple glow around the scroll unrolled it, revealing a map of the areas around Ponyville. Bon Bon could feel her heart racing as she watched the map roll open, her eyes darting over it to find any indication of where her mint mare could be. Those eyes widened as she noticed something, a tiny little burn and singed spot on the map. The spot was deep inside the Everfree Forest.

"I'm sorry, Bon Bon. It's too far out for me to try to teleport to her, let alone teleport two ponies back to town." Twilight said, looking down at the street as she noticed the panic seeping into her friend's eyes.

"It...it's alright, Twilight," the candy mare managed to squeak out. "I know where she is now. That means I can go and find her at last!" It was the worst place her beloved could have run to. The worst place for any pony to be at night. But still, knowing that she was alive, that she was somewhere she could be found brought a small feeling of joy to the changeling's twisted heart that banished the sorrow that had threatened to consume her. Taking the scroll between her teeth, she tucked it into her mane and turned to head off for the forest. The purple unicorn called after her, worry and concern in her voice.

"W-wait! It's too dangerous for you to go alone. Especially at night!" Twilight had trotted up alongside her. "Please, let me go with you."

Bon Bon closed her eyes, her teeth gritted in frustration behind her imitation lips. Twilight was right, it was dangerous. But that wasn't what she was afraid of. Letting another pony know her secret, that was what she feared more than the lurking dangers of the forest. With a sigh, she turned to the librarian pony, looking down at the ground as she lifted her hooves, placing them on Twilight's shoulders.

"No. You can’t come with me, Twilight."

"But why?"

"I...I can’t explain. Not right now," she said as she looked up into those violet eyes. "Please, I have to do this alone. I...I want to tell you why. I honestly do...but I just can’t right now." The words shocked even herself as she spoke them. Her life, the lie, it had all become too much for her to carry by herself. "I...I'll tell you, but not right now. I don't know when, but I will. You just...please, trust me..."

Something told Twilight that she should push harder, that she had to know what the truth was. That it was really important that she knew. But it was also important to Bon Bon that the unicorn didn't know, that she let her trust push aside her curiosity and worry just for a little while longer. With a sigh, she nodded slowly, looking down at her hooves.

"Alright, Bon Bon. I trust you. Just please, be careful. And bring Lyra back safe. I don't want this to be the last time I see either of you." Twilight's heart felt heavy with worry. But at the same time, she had faith that the candy mare would do all within her power to reward the trust she was being given. Those hooves on her shoulders slipped behind her, and she was embraced in a warm, grateful hug.

"Thank you, Twilight. You really are a true friend." Bon Bon said, another tear leaving the corner of her eye. But for the first time this day, it felt warm as it left a trail of happiness down her cheek. With one last smile cast into her friend's eyes, she let go and raced off. Friendship was a wonderful thing. But love. Love was what was driving her onwards...