• Published 26th Feb 2015
  • 3,935 Views, 294 Comments

Three of Hearts - Anzel



Azurite is a pony relations warrant officer for the Canterlot Palace. It was supposed to be a relaxing change from royal guard duty, but that idea falls apart when her heart is pulled in two different directions... toward a stallion and a mare.

  • ...
19
 294
 3,935

4. My Trip To Ponyville

“Mirror Azurite, you are a sexy mare.” She had clearly been to the salon and spa. “Look at that mane! Long, flowing, and shiny. And your coat! All brushed and glittery. Whatever pony is taking you out tonight is lucky.”

The Azurite in the mirror seemed pretty happy to see me. She was smiling, bubbly, and confident. We waved at each other and I dropped down from the sink. It was time to get down to my office and finish up my work for the day.

Happily I trotted down the hall.

“Warrant Officer Azurite?” The lieutenant had used my rank. I was in trouble.

Immediately I stopped, turned to face where he had appeared from a cross corridor, and stiffened. “Yes, sir?”

“You’re out of uniform.”

“Sir?” I asked in confusion.

He pointed to my head where my beautiful mane was perfectly styled and currently uncovered. “Where is your helmet?”

“In my office, sir.”

“It was more rhetorical. It is supposed to be on your head when you’re on duty,” he said, a little disappointment creeping into his voice.

A frown spread along my lips. I wasn’t like normal guards who could keep a poker face. “I’m sorry, sir. You’re right. It should be. The day was almost over though and… well, my mane.”

“I’m going to let it go this one time. Everypony gets a free pass once. Please understand that if it happens again, though, I will be ‘that officer’ that writes ponies up for little things. Am I clear?”

“Yes, sir! Very clear and very fair.”

He nodded and went on his way. “Dismissed, then.”

Whew, I was mostly safe even if I had disappointed the CO a little. I hurried down to my office and shut the door. I didn’t have any more appointments. In a mere 30 minutes me and my perfect mane would be out the door and over to the Wonderbolts training facility.

Mr. Clockerson ticked smugly on.

“I don’t see you wearing your uniform.”

“Tick, tick, tickity tick!”

“Foul-mouthed clock.” Pale purple magic ensnared a piece of scrap paper and started folding it. Carefully I fashioned a little paper hat. Levitating it up, I sat it on top of Mr. Clockerson.

“Tick, tick! Tick, tick!”

“It serves you right,” I told him as the minute hand finally reached the top. “16:00. Time to leave!”

There is no way to prove it but I’m fairly confident that I removed my armor and secured my office so quickly that I set an Equestrian record. Of course Mr. Clockerson was my only witness and he’d never testify in my favor.

I trotted through the palace and kept as much decorum as I could. My appearance certainly turned a few heads and it didn’t bother me. I had somewhere to be. Once I crossed the threshold I galloped off to my date!

♥♥♥

The Wonderbolts have the finest facilities in all of Equestria. The main one in Canterlot is a big campus for such a small group of ponies. There is a large gym, some dormitories, a private meal hall, and a smattering of various tracks. They have running tracks, flying tracks, obstacle tracks, and a combination of all three. By comparison, the royal guard facilities I had been trained in were a cardboard box for a foal to play in.

I slipped the pass Soarin had given me around my neck and was admitted through the gate. Galloping all the way there had worn me out a little but I wanted to keep a hint of class. That meant slowing down and not being all panty when I found the stallion. As such, the trot to the flying track was leisurely and I could see five different pegasi zooming around.

A shoulder-height fence had been built around the area. It made… well, no sense at all. It was a flying track. I stood on my hind hooves and set my forehooves on the top so I could watch.

The five of them went around and around at speeds I couldn’t even hope to reach when galloping. It went on like that a bit longer before they broke formation and started off on their own maneuvers. Everything was precise and designed to elicit cheers.

The Wonderbolts went through the routine twice more and then came in for a landing. The first two through the gate were Spitfire and Fleetfoot. They both looked my way. I guess in a big empty training area one glittery mare stands out.

Spitfire called, “Enjoy the show?”

“Yes, you were amazing!”

The pair of mares came over. Fleetfoot seemed to take me in. “We’re not used to groupies at training,” she said

Groupie? What did that mean?

“She’s with me,” Soarin called as he came through the gate. He trotted over. His coat was matted with sweat and all of his muscles were tight. My forelegs went a weak again and I made a note to check with a doctor about that.

“Oh yeah? Good for you, Soarin. She’s cute,” Spitfire said before waving and heading off. “Glad you liked the show.”

Fleetfoot lingered a bit more and glared at me. What had I done? She lifted her nose and cantered off after Spitfire.

Soarin was frowning after her and when it seemed he had done so long enough he turned back to me. For the first time in my life I had stunned a stallion. His mouth hung open. “Wow. You’re…”

Stunning? Beautiful? Radiant? Princess-like? The most impressive mare you’ve ever seen?

“... hot.”

Okay, so he wasn’t a poet. “Why thank you. I wanted to look pretty for our date.”

“You nailed it!” he exclaimed and then looked at his messy self. “I should go get showered and halfway presentable. Don’t wander too far. The team is mostly harmless but Fleetfoot is a bit of a bi- uh, bi-” He stared as if he wanted me to help. Finally he finished, “bitter pony.”

“I’ll be right here,” I promised before casually posing so the sun caught all the glitter in my coat.

“Great… I’ll be right back!”

♥♥♥

Soarin wasn’t gone long and, thankfully, I was not accosted by bitter ponies. He had cleaned up fairly well and we were in flight to Ponyville. Our trip was much slower this time and he was carrying me in his forehooves instead of dangling me.

My forehooves were looped around his neck which he said was fine as long as I didn’t tug suddenly and throw him off balance. That could result in a crash. This configuration was far more preferable since it amounted to a princess carry. It also put our heads closer together even though he was mostly focused on flying.

We landed gracefully at what had to be Ponyville’s most fancy restaurant. It had outdoor seating with a rustic feel to it despite clearly being more upscale.

“I know this doesn’t look like anything in Canterlot but trust me. Savoir Fare is one of the finest restaurateurs in Equestria,” Soarin explained.

Quickly I shook my head. “Not at all! This is great. I love the small town feel. No pony around here is looking and judging and there aren’t crowds.”

Each of us settled onto a little pile of hay and a dark blue unicorn came out to greet us. “Good afternoon, madame and monsieur. My name is High Horse and I’ll be taking care of you tonight. What would you like to drink?”

She looked at me first and I responded, “Water would be fine.”

Soarin cleared his throat and glanced my way across the table. “Water of course, but if you don’t mind I had another idea as well.”

“I don’t mind.” Which was true; I didn’t.

“She’ll also have a glass of last season’s strawberry wine and I’ll have the same.”

“That is an excellent choice,” High Horse replied before heading off.

“Wine?” I asked him, trying to mimic the sultry looks Sunny frequently gave me.

He nodded. “Trust me and if you could… trust me to order too? The pairing will be really amazing, I promise.”

“I trust you!” I said a little too eagerly.

The stallion smiled and chuckled. Oh… he had a pretty smile, too. Handsome! Handsome smile. “Sorry about that earlier with Fleetfoot. We used to date. She broke it off and for some reason feels like I shouldn’t be allowed to see anypony. Probably because she is in a dry spell.”

My nose wrinkled. “That seems mean. Don’t worry about it, but, um… she isn’t going to come after me, is she? I’m pretty sure she’d stomp me in a fight.”

He laughed again and shook his head. “No, she is more the passive-aggressive type. She’ll just tell everypony that you’re sleeping with me for Wonderbolt tickets.”

Lightly I drummed my forehooves on the table. “How rude!”

High Horse returned with our drinks. She levitated them to the table and asked, “And what will we be dining on this afternoon?”

Soarin didn’t even lift the menu. He ordered things for us with words I’ve never heard and High Horse kept complimenting him on the choices. It was like a secret code.

“Don’t worry, Fleetfoot is harmless. She also doesn’t have a lot of friends so the circle will be pretty small that she tells. So… I guess I don’t really know you that well other than that you are nice. How long have you been in pony relations?”

Dangerous topic! I was wearing eyeliner, too, so I had to steer this just right. “Oh… almost a year maybe? I didn’t finish warrant school that long ago. It was a great opportunity to take a pony resources position. More flexibility. Plus it’s more in line with what my father taught me.”

“Oh yeah? What was that?”

Good, talk about the family. “He is a jeweler so he taught me how to manipulate tiny little objects. That really makes you focus on the details. I guess that is why I am so good with fine print and such.”

“That is pretty cool. Is that why your cutie mark has the gem? You earned it helping your dad?”

My eyes fell to my flank. Three hearts connected by a diamond. What to say about that? It probably isn’t smart to lie on the first date - not a solid foundation there. What is the harm in the truth? I levitated my wine glass and took a sip.

“Funny story, actually. I helped my dad with everything! New pieces, fixing pieces, cleaning pieces, everything! No cutie mark. So I helped my mom with her business. She’s a florist. Nothing there. Everypony else had their mark and I was getting flustered.”

And here we go, Azurite. “A colt asked me out on a date. It was awkward and silly… you know, like most dates at that age. Well, he wasn’t shy and when the date was done he planted a kiss right on me and…” I waved my hoof over my cutie mark. “Ta da!”

“No way! Seriously?”

I put a hoof over my heart. “Filly scouts’ honor.”

“Maybe I’ll get to find out if kissing is your special talent then.”

Oh. My. Celestia! It took all of my self control not to squee right there. Keep cool, Azurite. Like a cucumber. A small cucumber looking at a big muscled cucumber that is normally poured into a snug flight suit. I swallowed and replied, “Maaaybe.”

Soarin laughed and my face felt hot. The small talk was going well. A few more sips of wine made it even easier. We prattled on about a bunch of general topics up until High Horse returned with our dinners.

“Now be sure to have just a little sip of wine with each bite,” Soarin coached and I nodded. I was on glass number two.

I ate the… well, I don’t know what it was. It was purple on the outside and white on the inside and crunchy. It was delicious by itself but paired with the wine it was amazing. My self discipline really struggled to keep me from stuffing my face. Thankfully Soarin, for all his food knowledge, was somewhat of a messy eater.

Once dinner was done we had dessert. Tiny chocolate cakes with strawberries… and glass of wine number three.

“You’re a food genius,” I told him with probably a hint of slur.

“I just like to eat. What can I say? The job allows me to travel all over and try all sorts of things.”

“I bet.” My head bobbed briefly and I quickly looked up. “Hey, when did the sun go down?”

Soarin laughed and reached out for my wine glass. Slowly he slid it away from me. “About an hour ago. Other than me being a food genius, how was your dinner?”

Time to be witty, Azurite. “Endlessly memorable.”

“Well that is high praise. Come on, Azurite, let’s get you up and moving.”

“Yup!” I chimed cheerfully and stood up. All four legs wobbled and Soarin hopped over to catch me before I collapsed. He slipped a wing around me and I leaned up against his side. I realized it was to keep me stable but it was a really sweet gesture. “Thank you.”

We wandered around Ponyville ‘taking in the sights’ as Soarin had phrased it. It was a cute town but, other than a library that was literally built out of a giant tree, it was fairly mundane. Of course I was also a little drunk and it was dark. That probably made it harder to really appreciate the town.

Soarin lightly yawned and squeezed me closer with his wing. “It is getting awfully late and I’m pretty beat.” He peered down to me. “Aaaand you’re doing an awful lot of leaning. Why don’t we head over to that little hotel and get a room.”

Get a room? A hotel room? I gasped softly and staggered. “A room?” I stammered before lightly trying to pull away. That wasn’t wise as I stumbled again and almost fell over. “I’m not that kind of mare.”

The wing pulled me tighter to keep me from falling. “I respect that completely… with that said, you’re still a little drunk and I don’t think I can carry you back after all that working out and food. I sure as hay am not going to leave you here alone and drunk. So… are you the kind of pony that can share a hotel room and just cuddle? And perhaps demonstrate the cutie mark-inspiring kiss?”

I felt warm all over. Warm and giddy. Maybe I was that kind of mare… the first kind. No… not on a first date, the little sober mare in me cried. But he is super cute and I’m an adult! He won’t respect us… you… me. Oh, ponyfeathers.

Sober Azurite won out. “I can be that kind of mare as long as you give me your word you’re an hon… honor… honorable stallion.”

“My word as a Wonderbolt. Nothing but cuddles… even if you get all hoofsy.”

I gasped as we swayed our way to the hotel. “Me? Hoofsy?”

“Hey, it happens.”

We wandered into the hotel and I looked up to Soarin. “What about smooching?”

He flushed. I had said it loud enough that the clerk heard. “Yes, there can be smooching,” he whispered before waving a hoof. “We need a room, please.”

“Mmmhmm…” the pony behind the counter said. “Just one?”

“Yes, just one. Please.”

The mare looked directly at me and asked, “Are you sure you want a room with this one, honey? I know he is a hotshot but you’re a little drunk and you seem like a nice filly.”

“Hey-” Soarin started but I slipped out from under his wing and put a hoof over his mouth.

“You are very kind, ma’am. I promise you, as dubious as this looks, he gave his word to be a gentlestallion tonight. No funny business.” I managed to get through that without slurring, too.

She shrugged and said, “Well, sweetie, that is your call.” She reached back, pulled out a key, and set it on the counter. “See you in the morning.”

♥♥♥

I was alone in a hotel room with Soarin. Azurite… alone in a hotel room with Soarin. My heart was racing as the door closed behind us. What should I do? What were WE going to do?

Soarin slipped over to the bed and flopped onto it. He laid on his side and lifted a wing. Well, Azurite, you’re in deep now. I followed along and nestled up against him. The wing came down and he shifted to put a little weight on me. It was warm, snuggly, and gave me tingles all over. I set my forehooves on his strong, muscled chest. Slowly I drew a little circle in his coat and giggled happily.

“You’re getting hoofsy,” he teased.

More giggles. You bet I was hoofsy, flyboy!

Soarin pressed more weight onto me and whispered, “I gave my word.”

Aww, of course he’d be a gentlestallion. I grumbled a little but then a light went on in my head. I looped my forehooves softly around his neck. “You promised smooches.”

“Did I?” he asked.

Quickly I nodded and gave him the big puppy dog eyes I always used when I wanted something. “Please?”

“Oh, well in that case.” He leaned in and pressed his lips to mine. They were rough but not unpleasant and there was plenty of heat. Soarin was not as gentle as Sunny but where her kiss was electric his was fiery. The effect was certainly similar, however, and I melted against him.

Our lips lingered together a while before he breathed, “Woah… maybe there is something to that cutie mark.”

“Hmm?” I mused softly before booping his nose with a hoof. “Good kiss?” The room was swimming a little, and not because of the kiss. The wine must have won against the food.

He nodded. “Yup… hey, are you ok?”

“Uh huh… dizzy. Mmm, maybe just cuddles now? And sleep?”

“Sure, sure.” He gently rolled me onto my back. “Put your back hoof on the floor if you can.”

I did as he said. “Oh… that helped.”

Soarin winked and nestled to my side and wrapped a wing around me again. “I had fun tonight. I have to be honest, Azurite, you’re probably the first pony in a while who just wanted to hang out with me the pony and not me the Wonderbolt.”

Lightly I booped him again. “I don’t care about the Wonderbolts…”

Vaguely I heard Soarin saying something else but my eyes willed themselves closed and I drifted off to sleep.

♥♥♥

Soarin, despite being a hotshot, flyboy, celebrity Wonderbolt, is a perfect gentlestallion. Throughout the night I drifted in and out of sleep. A few times I found him watching over me with concern.

The last time I woke the sun was pouring through the window and Soarin was snoring quietly… half on top of me. I nuzzled into the crook of his neck and he mumbled something before shifting.

“Good morning. I-I hope I wasn’t too much trouble last night. Normally I don’t drink.”

He chuckled and shifted so that he could look me in the eye. “You’re fine. I had fun.”

“Enough fun to do it again sometime?” Bold move, Azurite!

The stallion bobbed his head. “Yup. You can count on it. I had a good time and you aren’t the sort of filly sitting there with her hoof out.”

A frown crossed my face. Gently I nosed him. “Is it really that bad? Mares coming after you because you’re famous?”

Soarin nodded. “Yeah… they want five minutes of fame. They think maybe if they spend time with me it will rub off on them.”

I giggled.

“What?” he asked before rolling his eyes. “Not what I meant.”

“I’m sorry… go on.”

He shrugged. “If it isn’t fame it is bragging rights. If it isn’t bragging rights it is bits. If not bits… who knows. All I know is I get so tired of it. That is why Fleetfoot and I got together but that didn’t work out either. So, other than, like, one other pony, you’re the first one that doesn’t seem to care about any of that. Why is that?”

“Oh, for me it was all the worked up sweaty muscles.”

Soarin set a hoof on my forehead and teasingly pressed me to the mattress. “Sure, sure. Honestly, why?”

“Honestly? I haven’t had a date since high school. You were nice to me and you asked. It didn’t matter that you were hot, a Wonderbolt, or whatever. You were just a pony that asked me out. Then I found out you were a gentlestallion, a food genius, and generally just fun to be with.”

“That works for me. Well… why don’t we have breakfast and then I’ll take you home?” Soarin smiled.

“You bet!”

♥ 4 ♥

Author's Note:

Azurite's first date in a while. Soarin is, of course, quite the gentlestallion. I had fun with this one! Hope you enjoy it.