• Published 28th Jan 2015
  • 5,372 Views, 198 Comments

Owlowiscious The Immortal Owl - sunnypack



Owlowiscious is a very patient bird. One night however, tired after assisting Twilight with her duties, he lets slip advice that he meant to say silently... oh dear.

  • ...
8
 198
 5,372

5 - Any Who...

Chapter 5: Any Who…

“Okay!” Rainbow’s brash voice called out. “That should be enough practice for today. You can thank me later… after a few days… when your body recovers.”

Twilight was face down in the dirt. She barely had the energy to lift her head clear from the ground, much less give a response to the excitable pegasus. Only through sheer willpower and a concentrated effort was Twilight able to flutter open an eyelid and send me one more glare.

Rainbow alighted next to me, giving me a ruffle with a wing. I couldn’t decide whether that feeling was pleasant or strange, but I settled on the former as she sidled up to my ‘owner’ and gave her a hearty pat on the back.

“Good work there, Twi’. I was expecting you to clock out way before that… no offence. I don’t know where you got your motivation, but if you continue like this for a month, you’ll shape up to be a top-notch flier, no doubt about it!”

I flittered up to Rainbow’s shoulder and settled on her back.

“Who!” I said and Rainbow grinned at me briefly.

“See? Even Owlowisicious agrees!”

Absolutely right I did.

Twilight took a deep breath and forced herself to her legs. Her wings were spasming and they splayed themselves out automatically. I could even see the heat waves rolling off from the excessive use of magic. I knew that pegasi had an interesting blend of magic and muscle that were required to work in tandem in order for them to achieve lift. Unlike me and most other birds, pegasi and alicorns had to channel their special brand of innate magic though their wing tips to produce the force required to counteract gravity.

The amount of force generated is somehow correlated to the amount of power they use while beating their wings. Like all magic they would need practice, practice, practice to achieve any sort of practical flight. Since pegasi have been flying since they were young, it was easy for them to continue doing so if they ever became alicorns, but for Twilight, she’d have to learn from step one. Though, I’d think a pegasus trying to learn horn-assisted spells would be rather difficult as well, now that I think about it.

Twilight mumbled something, then straightened up. She shook her head.

Anyway, Twilight was lucky to have such a skilled flier as a teacher. Although… Rainbow needed to work on her instructional set. She’s good at leading, but her one-track mind tended to stone-wall her students, especially when they needed to tell them something. Like now, for instance.

“Rainbow, I need to talk to you.” This was probably Twilight’s twenty fourth try. If anyone was counting. Which was certainly not me.

“Sure thing, Twi’, you know I’m all ears when it comes to friends,” Rainbow replied easily. I stifled a chuckle on seeing Twilight’s muzzle open and shut as she thought better of opening that can of worms. Worms, hmm not fond of them. I wonder what’s for dinner. Better go hunting later.

“It’s about Owlowiscious,” Twilight said. Then she stopped suddenly and gestured to me. I must have been particularly slow because I stood there not comprehending for a few seconds. What? Oh! Right she wanted me to say something.

“Hi there Rainbow,” I said simply.

Rainbow looked at me quizzically then returned her look to Twilight.

“So… what’s the problem?”

Well it wasn’t the first time I’d seen Twilight at a loss for words, but I can say that this would probably rank as one of the rare times that Twilight really didn’t know how to respond to somepony. I think Rainbow took ‘coolness’ to a new level. Wow.

“Problem?! He talks!”

“Uhuh, don’t all owls talk like that?”

“What?”

“He’s talking, just like normal.”

“I am?” I interjected.

Rainbow shrugged. “See?”

“Really? What did he say just now?”

“Who.”

“Who?”

“Who.”

“He’s saying who?”

“Who?”

“Him. Tell me what he’s saying.”

“Who?”

“Owlowiscious!”

“Me?”

“You! Tell her what you’re saying.”

“I’m saying a lot of things, but I think she hears ‘who’.”

“That’s what I’ve been trying to say, Twilight, he’s saying ‘who’.”

“Who?”

“Owlowiscious!”

“Oh ‘who’.”

“Owlowiscious!”

“Me?”

“Yes you, don’t ‘who’ me!”

“Gah!”

“Gagh!”

We all lapsed into silence, thoroughly confused. I could see Twilight getting frustrated and Rainbow getting more and more bewildered and I didn’t know what to do, having lost track of the conversation a while back.

“I think Rainbow hears a ‘who’,” I said.

Twilight clamped a hoof to her mouth and took off.

Rainbow looked at me, and then Twilight’s retreating figure.

“Who was she talking to?”

I flopped to the ground.

I can’t take much more of this.

————

“So you’re saying… Owlowiscious can talk?”

Twilight nodded.

“That’s… I don’t get it, why can’t I hear him?”

I decided to nod my head too. My talking had already sown the seeds of confusion and grown into trees of befuddlement.

Rainbow frowned, sinking to her haunches. Then her expression brightened and she got to her hooves.

“Wait does that mean I can talk to Tank?” Then she blushed. “I mean then I could you know, discuss if he needs to see a vet or something. Like for… health reasons.”

“I’m not sure,” Twilight replied honestly. “I’m surprised you can’t hear him.” She shot me a look, but I just shrugged. It’s not my fault. I really thought that if I talked, anypony could hear me.

Rainbow turned to me. “Say something,” she said.

“You’re kind of making me uncomfortable?”

Rainbow shook her head. “Yeah, all I hear is ‘who’.”

Twilight sighed. “I really didn’t want it to come to this, but I think we might have to talk to Fluttershy.”

Rainbow did a double take. “Hey I thought Fluttershy would be at the top of the list, you know with animals and all. I mean I’m flattered you’d come to me, but isn’t Fluttershy the animal expert?”

The look of discomfort that Twilight bore on her face couldn’t really be put in words.

“Well… you see…”

“Twilight…” I added.

“I know, I know, I just have to talk to her. I’m just afraid of what she’s going to say.”

“It’ll be fine,” I said, rolling my eyes. “Just explain the whole situation. Heck she might even understand me.”

Twilight nodded. “Okay, do you want to come along, Rainbow?”

Rainbow had this weird scrunched up expression on her muzzle as if she were trying to decide if we were a puzzle worth solving.

“Yeah, it’s a little weird when you have a conversation that looks like you’re talking to yourself. The way I see it, you should just work things out. It’ll all come together.” She took to the air, hovering. “I’ve got to… do some weather management.”

I watched Rainbow go, knowing exactly what she was going to do. I wish I could see her talk to Tank. I’d imagine the exchange would get very strange, very fast… and that’s when he wasn’t talking.

Twilight sighed again. She was doing that a lot recently.

“Let’s go,” she mumbled and she loped away with me winging along.

Well I hope this goes a lot better with Fluttershy than it did with Rainbow. I don’t think I can handle another ‘who’ gag.

Author's Note:

Face it, you knew this gag was coming.

Next Chapter: Angel and Owlowiscious hashes it out.

As always, my numerical readers, thanks for reading!