• Published 23rd Jan 2015
  • 731 Views, 33 Comments

Quest To Unite - JazzieQ



Equestria is devoid of Earth ponies. Can Spike succeed on his mission to save Equestria??

  • ...
5
 33
 731

Flupperwurms

I wish I could think of a disclaimer to put here but my mind is on Season 5 right now.... :pinkiehappy:

----------------

The group of mares stared at this new being that they’ve never seen before. Rainbow Dash was particularly apprehensive of him.

“Discord? What are you supposed to be? You’re a pony?” Rainbow asked.

“Maybe, maybe not. However, I do think of myself as is having an incredibly striking effect. Don’t you think?” Discord turned himself into a set of bowling pins and struck himself with an oncoming ball. He then suddenly teleported next to Fluttershy and winked at her. She frowned.

“I remember reading about you in Star Swirl: The Story Of Sorcery. You’re a draconequus. Discord the Trickster. But you were banished by Star Swirl the Bearded to the Nether Realm over a thousand years ago!” Twilight said.

“Oh and it was so horrid there! Whatever did I do?! Boo Hoo.” he then appeared swooning over Rarity’s back.

“Oh you know very well you are the spirit of chaos and disharmony! You bring nothing but trouble!” Twilight replied.

“I highly doubt it’s just me that cause chaos. I think you unicorns and pegasi have a pretty good aptitude of your own!” he said while appearing to be bound in chains.

“How many times do I have to say that was a long time ago! We have nothing to do with it!” said Rarity indignantly.

“Oh ho ho ho! My dear! Look around you! You’re all in this great big mess still aren’t you? ” He then spouted from the ground as a giant flower, with petals around his face and then he shriveled up and wilted, his head popped out of the wilted bud. The pony group had a very annoyed look. Only Fluttershy expressed worry. “You ponies have done far more damage and chaos than I ever could have! BRAVO!” several Discords appeared and applauded.

“How did you escape?” Twilight asked.

“Why, I’ve been out for a while now. Let’s see… five hundred and two point three years to be exact. I’ve been a very good boy since then.” A halo came over his head then fell down coming around his neck. “I’m guessing it was the effects of an imbalance that happened and made a rift allowing me to return. Chaos begets chaos you know.”

Twilight stared at Discord who was now floating above her, “why do you want to help us? What’s in it for you??”

“Nothing! Can’t I do something nice for somepony? I just am trying to do my part to make the world a better place!” he said smiling and batting his eyes. Twilight gazed at him sternly.

“Twilight, let’s go, I don’t trust him… something’s not right here.” Rainbow said.

“I agree with Rainbow Dash darling!” Rarity said nodding her head.

“I agree too! As a matter of fact, EVERYTHING’s not right here… and I am quite petrified about it you know. While I consider it pleasantly chaotic, I’m bored with rocks,” Discord said, “you want to get to Argil to see if your friends are still alive, am I right? Well, I’ve got a way buuuuuuuut I guess you wanna go back to your little rock homes and eat your little rocks for food, feed your little pet rocks. Quite a sedimental situation wouldn’t you agree?”

“How?” Twilight asked squinting her eyes and tilting her head.

“The barrier doesn’t allow unicorn and pegasi now, does it?…”

“WE KNOW THAT!” Rainbow said.

“Well then, there’s just only one way…” Discord said with a smirk and raised his brows. He opened his mouth when Twilight spoke.

“You mean can magically remove our wings and horns?” Twilight tried to guess before Discord can answer.

“NO WAY! Out of the question!” Rainbow said.

“You can do that?” Fluttershy finally spoke up.

“Good guess but not what I was going to say,” Discord said, “…you see while it is possible for me to do that, the barrier doesn’t work that way. If I do that, while you will look like an earth pony, your innate abilities will be detected a-------nd then the game will be over. However, if I remove your magic temporarily, then you might just get in.”

“But Gunther said the earth ponies will kill us!” Rarity said.

“Bu---t if you avoid getting caught, you’ll be able to look for your sister and friends……oh my…….life’s full of difficult choices isn’t it. ” Discord teased.

“Can’t you do both?” Twilight asked.

“My then what would be the fun in that! I might as well turn you into earth ponies altogether!!! But sorry no.”

“Why?”

“Let’s just say the magic doesn’t work that way. Tick tock Twilight… I don’t have all day.” Discord gave a more menacing, mischievous look than Gunther. The group looked at each other. Rarity’s face showed the answer.

“I-I don’t trust you one bit. But, we don’t seem to have many options…” Twilight rubbed her chin in deep thought, “….okay Discord. Do it.” Discord smiled and snapped his claw digits. Just then Twilight and her friends felt a tiny electric jolt. Rainbow fell to the ground and when she tried to flap her wings to take off from the ground she couldn’t.

“That’s it?” Rainbow asked.

“Oh… were you expecting a grand ritual?”

“No I just thought it would be……….. longer.”

“Come on girls, no time to lose!” Twilight said and she and rest of the group darted off back to the jetties. Gunther and his crew were hurriedly packing supplies to take off. Twilight approached him once more.

“Gunther! I know you said….” Twilight began.

“My answer is still NO!” Gunther snarled and he walked off.

“I know a way in without activating the barrier!!!” Twilight exclaimed. Gunther stopped in his tracks and he looked back at the group. He then stormed over to Twilight. He was sooooo big Twilight thought he would surely do something, she swallowed a lump.

“What did you say?!” he said storming up to her and grinding his beak into her muzzle.

“We found a way in…” she said more confidently.

“How?”

“…………….we got help.” Gunther stared directly into Twilight’s eyes. It seemed as if he was trying to hypnotize her but he saw no lie to what she was saying. It seemed like it took forever for Gunther to fully grasp Twilight’s determination to go as well. He huffed a couple of times trying to intimidate her. Twilight stood her ground fiercely. Gunther finally relented. “Then come….. but lay no blame on me for your deaths.” Gunther warned. Fluttershy shivered at Gunther’s words while nervously looking at the rest of the group. They took a deep breath and followed Gunther on the ship.

------------

Applejack and Braeburn raced toward the port gate hoping to catch the carriage.

“What the hay is wrong with all these fillies?! They got some kinda invisibility spell on ‘em or what?!” Braeburn huffed. Applejack sped up leaving Braeburn in a dustcloud.

“APPLEBLOOOOOOM!” Applejack bawled her lungs out but the carriage had already met a good distance away only looking like a speck in the horizon. Spike and Gilda perked up.

“Did you hear something?” Spike asked.

Gilda looked at the two fillies in the back. They were awfully quiet. Gilda gave her eyes a menacing squint to which the fillies smiled very nervously. Spike and Gilda held their breaths waiting for another sound. Nothing. Spurs was moving at a rather fast pace.

“Why’re you going so fast?” Gilda asked.

“We gotta lotta ground to cover missy. Tryin’ ter get in an’ out. I dun wanna get caught in the bustle at Willow City this time around.” Spurs explained.

“Guess it must be your imagination.” Gilda said and laid back.

“BRAEBURN! WE HAVTA GO AFTER ‘EM!” Applejack said, “Can’t have that young ‘un in Willow City alone. I’d never hear the end of it from Granny Smith or Big Mac!” Applejack shuddered and darted off.

“Cousin wait!!” Braeburn called and rushed off catching up with her and stopping her in her tracks, “they’re too far off. We’ll never catch them. Better thing is to notify Big Mac to send her home!”

“Are you crazy! Didn’t I just say Big Mac’ll string me fer this!”

“Oh so whatcha gonna do? Run all day after ‘em? You also got yer applestand ter look after.” Applejack was annoyed that Braeburn would mention apples over Applebloom. She couldn’t leave Applebloom to go to Willow City alone and she knew the farm needed much money to fix the barn. She already gave away yesterday’s shipment to Gilda to make up for Braeburn’s blunder. Applejack felt she wanted to buck him in the face right now.

“GAAAH! Come on Braeburn! We gotta get ter the message center now!” Applejack darted off back to the port with Braeburn close behind.

********

The morning was blissfully peaceful throughout the country side Spike thought despite as they passed hurriedly by various towns along the way on cobblestone main road. He kept looking back at Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle who seemed to be unusually quiet, whispering in conversation. He could swear they were talking over their shoulders sometimes. They only nervously smiled whenever they realized that they were being looked at. Spike laid back once more, huffed and enjoyed the scenery.
Hardly anywhere was devoid of greenery. He looked up viewing the birds flying overhead in their v-shaped formations and thought of the wonderbolts. It would be nice to see Rainbow Dash in this setting doing her tricks overhead, he thought. And he was pretty sure Fluttershy would have loved to see the various animals that lived here and Rarity… beautiful Rarity… just her and him having a picnic on the grass, the birds chirping… on a lovely day like this. He could just pick a few flowers to match her beauty.

“Oh Spikey Wikey, are these for me? They’re beautiful!”

“Yes Lady Rarity. Not even these roses have the quality of the loveliness you have.”

“Oh ho ho Spikey Wikey. Come over here you hunk of dragon lover boy you….”

He would give her the bouquet and then they both lean in for a kiss when she accepts them. Yes… he could just picture it. Perfect. Gilda looked at Spike and smacked him in the head for looking quite foolish, pucking his lips out at her for no reason.

Equestria did not have much animals except those kept as pets if a pony can afford to feed them. While he knew animals like rabbits, jackalopes, parasprites and timberwolves only from books, he never saw them for real. They had left Equestria ages ago. Only the occasional butterflies would have simply passed through on their way to some other place. It was amazing to see them so common playing in the open fields.
On their way, he saw new creatures. He kept asking Gilda about them.

“What’s that?” Spike asked looking at some odd looking frogs. They weren’t exactly frogs he’d seen in any book. They were blue in color and their eyes were purple. Everywhere they had spikes on their bodies.

“Oh those are Noxies. Not very friendly if you get close to them. Those spikes spray some awful shit at you. Worse than skunks. Scent won’t come off either. You’ll be smelly for weeks!”

“What else can we find here?”

“They got Fretins, little fuzzy puffballs with huge-ass mouse ears.”

“How cute!”

“Yeah until they bite ya with sharp fangs and then disappear into thin air!” By this time Sweetie and Scootaloo got interested in hearing about the creatures that lived here.
“What else is here?? Scary ones?” Scootaloo asked.

“Oh sure! There’s a mean old sphinx that lives in the eastern mountains. She and the harpies always have a go at each other. Then there’s the lumber-back trolls. They look like tree stumps and grab ya when you’re too close.”

“COOOOOOOL!” Scootaloo said.

“Oh it gets better! A decamantula. A ten legged spider. Creepy fast and about the size of my claw. Their poison can kill a full grown griffon in an hour.”

“Are all the creatures here unfriendly?”

“No no. they got some good ones I guess, like um… flupperwurms.”

“Flupperworms?”

“Yeah they don’t do much… just eat. And then release toxic poo…”

“EWWWWW!!!” the fillies said in unison.

“... Nooooo, I can’t think of any. There’s thousands of species here. I never paid much attention in creatures’ class.”

Spike looked at Gilda as if she was a flupperwurm. “Oh but what you really gotta look out for are golems.” she said.

“Golems?”

“Yeah. Ever so often those huge rock giants attack. They don’t attack the towns per se. They just wanna eat the rocks and sediments they like, and if a town is close to their food, they get hit by falling debris, especially near mountains.”

“By the way, who manages the weather here?” Spike asked. He thought of the pegasi managing the weather back home.

“The weather manages itself Spike.” Gilda said looking at him sternly, “Nature here takes care of itself.” Spike drooped a little for asking a silly question.

“What else is there??” Sweetie asked bring the conversation back on course.

“Let’s see…there’s um… Knocklebees, a wasp with double stings that explodes…” the conversation continued on this way for the greater half of the morning. Spurs, at his speed, made a great distance and was very close to the next town, Manenisota. The town had more imperial guard presence which Gilda explained that the closer they got to Willow City to more guards there are. Scootaloo and Sweetie kept very quiet and covered throughout the passing. When Spike or Gilda wasn’t looking at them a little yellow hoof from behind touched their shoulders to calm them. Spurs stopped very briefly at the Davenport’s shop. The guards that were passing by, Gilda gave them a nod and Spike was cold sweating. The fillies huddled in one corner hoping not to be noticed.

“Damn Spike. If you’re this nervous around the guards, whatcha gonna do when you get to Willow City? They won’t do you anything… and what about them? They’re look more suspicious than a sailor in a mare’s beauty spa. Hey you two!!! Act more natural will ya!” The fillies sat up straight at Gilda’s command. Gilda and Spike turned their heads and were talking when Applebloom quickly popped her head out and whispered “It’s gonna be okay! Stop acting weird!”

“Easy for you to say!” Sweetie whispered back. Spike looked back and Sweetie smiled.

Good enough Spurs got back to the coach in a short space of time and they headed off again. The town was larger than San Fratello but Spike thought that if he counts in Sweet Apple Acres land space it was way bigger. The housing was a bit grander, similar to Hayside’s architecture. But so far, every town he’s been to there were new species of flowers and plants he came across. Even new weird fruits. Gilda had passed him and the fillies a Rabatelly each, a funny purple bulbous fruit with little spiky fingers that were still moving. Gilda cracked open hers and the meat inside was also purple. When Spike tasted it he flickered his eyes in pure ecstasy. The fillies mouths were purple by the time they were done. They each passed half to Applebloom in the back.

The journey continued onward till late in the afternoon. The fillies and Spike fell asleep when Spike was awoken by Gilda.

“Spike…. look.”

Spike rubbed his eyes and then he saw it. Glistening in the distance, so grand. A towering imperial palace, ten times bigger and more majestic than Canterlot Castle and it sparkled in the evening sunlight. Spike’s jaw dropped open. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle eyes sparkled along with the castle.

“WOOOOOOOOOW!!!” They were even more stunned than when they first saw Argil. The city skyline that surrounded it formed a magical quality of master craftponyship and architecture. Tall majestic buildings which Gilda said they’re called skyscrapers only outmatched the height of the palace but it was in no way in the field of grandeur that the palace had. Hanging gardens were found everywhere. There was even a pony-made waterfall off of one of the skyscrapers.

“Magnificent…. Gilda? What is the material used to build? I’ve recognized marble but what’s the sparkly one?” Spike asked.

“Oh that is Iridesium. Only found here in Argil. It's veeeeeery expensive to ship out. If anypony has Iridesium outside Argil they’ve gotta be super rich.”

As the coach got closer, the noisier it got. Outbursts of fireworks lighted the sky and ear splitting euphoria could be heard from the far outskirts of the city. Spurs approached the outer walls of the first garrison. Then he stopped. Three guards approached the coach. “HALT!”

Spike’s stomach did a somersault. The guards began to question Spurs, “Here for the festival? How many?”

“Four. Two fillies, a griffon and a baby dragon. I’m just dropping them off.”

“We have to check your coach.”

“How come? They never checked before.”

“Orders.”

“Uhhh, Sure thing I guess.” Spurs said nervously.

Sweetie and Scootaloo shivered in pure terror now. The guards came closer. They looked at Gilda and Spike first.

“You are?”

“I’m Gilda from Tallon Port and this is Spike from Draconia. The two fillies are from San Fratello, my friend’s daughters.” One of the guards scribbled onto a clipboard, and then they went for the back. Spike’s heart was now ready to jump out of his chest. They peered into the window. “Why are you all wearing cloaks?”

“They felt a bit feverish on the way so we’re taking them in to get a bit of medicine before we head for the parade.” Gilda explained.

“They have to remove it so we can get proper identification….. remove your hoods.” The guards ordered.

“Please….” Spike began. The guard cast an intimidating look and held up a hoof to silence Spike. His heart beat five hundred times a minute now. Sweetie Belle’s horn…. Sweet Celestia, we’re so dead. The fillies shivered but slowly raised their hooves to their heads. The first hood came down. It was Scootaloo.

“Your name is?”

“Uh, H-honey Crisp” Scootaloo said remembering the name Braeburn called her back at Hayside.

“Honey Crisp. Filly. Brown coat. Purple mane. Next.” The guard scribbled. Spike eyes widened with fear. He covered his face. Gilda who normally was menacing now looked horrified herself. Spike couldn’t help but rock back and forth now. WE’RE DEAD! WE’RE DEAD! WE’RE DEAD! WE’RE SOOOOO DEAD! The second hood came off.

“Filly. Yellow coat. Red hair. Name?”

“Applebloom!”

Spike and Gilda stood in shock. “WHAT?!!”

-------------------

That same very early morning…

Twilight looked at the unknown open waters that were still and calm. The breeze blew moderately allowing the sails to flap gently. She wondered whether Discord was right. Hopefully the barrier will not trigger. Maybe Spike and the fillies are safe? What if they’re not? She sent them to certain death. Oh, she blamed herself over and over. How can she face Rarity and Rainbow Dash if Scootaloo and Sweetie wound up dead. She covered her face in her hooves. But the question that troubled her more was are they doing the right thing by going? What if they got caught by soldiers and they all wind up dead. Guilt and fear started to override her mind. She paced up and down the deck feverishly. She looked over to the others. Nopony got any sleep during the night. Fluttershy wasn’t taking this trip well either. She huddled in a corner cowering probably thinking about the giant storm. Twilight could hardly see her face. Rainbow who could no longer fly was itching to take off again. She continuously flapped her wings but she didn’t even move as much as an inch off the deck. Rarity was the only one who sat calmly looking outward to the sea. Twilight approached her.

“Rarity.”

“Twilight darling. Sit down.” Twilight sat and looked out to sea as well.

“I can’t help but feel nervous Rarity about all this. Maybe we should have waited to hear from Spike.”

“Darling, we’re already halfway there to feel worried about all this. But to tell you the truth I’m very worried myself,” she said and looked back at Fluttershy, “I think I speak for all of us when I say it think we’re all in the same boat. Literally too.” Twilight chuckled. Rainbow now frustrated came up and joined them in sitting.

“Any luck?” Twilight asked.

“I don’t get why he had to take my flight away!” Rainbow said in a most annoyed tone.

“It’s part of your innateness Rainbow and besides it only temporary.” Rainbow still did not look too pleased with that answer.

“Do you think we’ll succeed in this mission?” Rarity asked.

“It’s hard to say. I’ve thought about a lot of things since. We’ve been taught a lie and it’s hard to think about the truth now that we know. If the earth ponies refuse to help us, we can’t really blame them. I can’t fathom what happened in the past but I’m pretty sure it’s not going to be a walk in the park trying to make friends with them, especially now after five hundred years.”

“But I’m pretty sure there might be some who don’t think that way!” Rainbow said.

“Maybe, but if we do get through to dialogue the first thing to do is to apologize.”

“Sweetie Belle.” Rarity said, “I do hope she’s okay, Celestia please let her be okay…”

“And Squirt too.” Rainbow added.

The breeze was chillier. Everypony looked at the water that was beginning to ripple a bit. The deck became livelier as the lookout bellowed from above.

“STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!” the group looked horrified at the call. Rainbow looked toward the bow and saw the skies had become dark grey and lightning streaks were dangerously flashing.

“No no no!!! Discord said the barrier wouldn’t activate!!!” Twilight said in a panic.

“BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES! FIRST LEVEL BARRIER APPROACHES!!!” Gunther commanded and turned to Twilight menacingly, “YOU ALL!!...........pray.” The group now ran over to Fluttershy and huddled with her keeping out the griffons’ way as they prepared to brace to storm. They hugged each other tightly.

“RAISE THOSE SAILS! LET THE WIND TAKE HER THROUGH!”

“Aye aye!” Gunther went and took command of the wheel and pushed on. The waves became stronger, causing the boat to rock. Fluttershy whimpered.

“I love you girls.” Rarity said.

“Me too.” Twilight answered. Rainbow nodded. Fluttershy was too scared to answer. The ship pushed forward as the dark grey sky hovered over them. But the griffons were uneasy.

“CAP’N!” the boatswain called. Gunther moved from the wheel and ran to the bow. “What’s happening?” Gunther looked confused for a minute. While there should be the onslaught abuse to their ship, there was just a downpour of heavy rain. The breeze remained a little more than moderate and water did not move roughly enough to cause havoc and the lightning was no longer forming streaks.

“Boatswain… grab the wheel. Take us though.” The griffon did immediately as commanded. Gunther then walked back toward the cowering group.

“Seems your little trick worked. There’s no storm or at least not strong enough.” Gunther said looking up. Twilight and the group sighed relief despite being now soaked. The weather continued on for fifteen minutes and then the rain stopped. The skies became clearer.

“ALRIGHT GRIFFONS! TIME TO PUSH FORWARD!!! RELEASE THOSE SAILS!!” the sails immediately flapped down and the journey continued. But the breeze had subsided and a fog haze swept over the air and left the ship blinded. Gunther took to navigating by compass. The mares’ spirits began to look brighter now that they know they overcame the first level barrier. Rainbow and Rarity went up to the quarter deck to dry off themselves. Twilight remained with Fluttershy still comforting her.

“It’s alright Fluttershy. We’ll be okay.” Twilight said over and over. Fluttershy just smiled at her to let her know she will be.

“We should be close to Argil by now.” Gunther said looking at his compass. Twilight and the others went up to the stem and anticipated. The lookout began a countdown to the clearing of the fog.

“Twenty!!!.....nineteen!!.... eighteen!!!...” Everypony held their breaths. Rainbow excitement began to build up. “…twelve!!!... eleven!!!...”

“There!” Gunther said. The fog haze dissipated.

“LAAAAAAAD HO! AAAAAAAAAARGIIIIIIIIL ON YONDER!!!”

The mares including Fluttershy whipped their eyes forward to have a look. The great lush green landmass appeared before them. Like the fillies before them their awe of seeing Argil for the first time was beggaring description. Rainbow started jumping up and down. Rarity’s eyes sparkled at the sight. Fluttershy gazed wildly at the birds that were flying over head and Twilight couldn’t help but cry at the sight of healthy growing plants and trees.

“Turn for Hayside lads.” Gunther instructed. He then addressed Twilight, “Now the second barrier approaches… we’ll see if your trick works again.” Twilight looked at him and then swallowed a lump. The ship slowly approached closer till the port then came into view.

“OH SWEET CELESTIA!! HAVE YOU EVER SEEN ANYTHING SO MAGNIFICENT!!” Rarity screamed in excitement. The mares looked forward at the beautiful architectural designs of the port and how it sparkled along with the green accents that whirled around it. The hanging garden was adored the most. Just then an electric jolt was suddenly felt by the group.

“What was that?!” Rainbow asked.

“The second barrier…….” Twilight answered, “I guess we’re in.” Just then where excitement had filled them, fear began to overtake the mares once more. One of the Griffons came up with some cloaks and Gunther threw them toward the group.

“UGH! Horrid fabric! What is this?” Rarity exclaimed.

“You wanna go exposed on shore. Be my guest.” Gunther smirked. Twilight and the group quickly covered themselves, “you’ll have to get off another way, do not leave the ship until I signal you to, do you understand me?” the group nodded their heads.

“CAP’N!!! There’s Gunner ship!”

“That son of a bitch!!! I’LL RIP HIS FEATHERS OUT!!” Gunther steamed. The ship slowly docked.

“WELL WELL!” Gunther called. Gunner was on the jetties when he heard his uncle’s voice.

“Uncle! I-I just s-sent you a message.”

“Guess you can tell it to me personally then, you little shit.” Gunther’s eyes looked murderous now. Gunther stormed off the boat and began to jostle Gunner who had probably fainted by then.

“This is it girls.” Twilight sighed, “We’re here to find Spike and the girls.” The commotion went on and five imperial guards approached the entire group on the jetty. Four was dressed in similar armor colors; black and silver with green crested galeas but the fifth looked like a senior ranker. His armor was black and gold with a yellow crest. They looked very threateningly at the group. The mares hid with the boatswain close by.

“Gunther,” the captain said stopping Gunther from his rampage on Gunner, “I trust that there would no need for this commotion on our soil.”

“Captain Brisk Bronco! Good to see you again!” Gunther said and stepped away from Gunner who flopped onto the jetty. Gunther shifted his position so that the guards’ backs were now to the ship. Gunther eyed the boatswain who then signaled for the mares to quietly exit the boat and make their way below the jetty.

“I came looking for this lad! He had me worried as there was no word from him!!...” The group followed Twilight’s lead. She quietly came off the ramp and entered the water, swimming and wading up to the shore from below. Rarity gave a little trouble about messing up her mane in salty water, but relented when Rainbow shot her a nasty ‘you’ll die bitch!’ look. The group moved as quietly as they could through the waters below.

“I brought you something captain! A fresh set of sulphur-axecalt shard shipment! Come see it!” Gunther shifted again moving toward the ship making the guards turn to face the ship again. Twilight and the group had reached the shore and finally exited the water and galloped their way into the port.