• Published 23rd Jan 2015
  • 731 Views, 33 Comments

Quest To Unite - JazzieQ



Equestria is devoid of Earth ponies. Can Spike succeed on his mission to save Equestria??

  • ...
5
 33
 731

Hayside

Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.
*Ehem* I don’t own MLP:FiM. The OCs are minesssss!

======

Zeal approached Terra calmly.

“You have allowed a unicorn and a Pegasus into your sanctuary.”

“I have allowed them for their innocence and genuinety only. It will not be like that for anypony else. There is one little trick however...”

“A trick?”

Terra smiled and said nothing.

------------------

Rarity paced anxiously in the castle suite. Fluttershy was looking at her in her usual panic mode and Rainbow too was looking worried.
Twilight was busy reading the journal that she borrowed. She had started from the beginning of the journal.

‘January 3rd 473 CPE

After my expedition to Griffonia, I feel so much pride being raised to the rank of Lieutenant General. King Sombra, in all his fearsomeness, saw potential in me. I should be grateful. I have been given a mansion Platinum City with sixteen zebra servants and eighty slaves. I settled in for the first time today. Observing those wretched beasts work around my house sickens me. Walking around and moping all the time. How do they manage without magic or wings? It has become quite clear that the hierarchy set by Princess Platinum was unquestionable. They are only good for manual labor and nothing else.’

Twilight’s concentration was disturbed by a knock on the door. Rainbow rushed and answered. A unicorn attendant gave a little bow with a piece of paper levitating before her, “Messages from Tallon Port.”
Rarity rushed up and grabbed the messages with her own magic. The others came closer.

“This one’s from Spike! They reached Tallon Port safely and made arrangements for another ship.”

“And the second message?” Twilgith asked.

Rarity was muttering, “...........two fillies.........searched...looked... NOT FOUND!!!!!”

“WHAT?!”

“What do we do now?” asked Fluttershy.

Twilight thought for a moment, “Girls, we’ll have to go to Tallon Port.”

“But Gilda is there!” Rainbow protested.

“Can’t worry about her. Sweetie and Scootaloo are more important now.” Twilight said and Rainbow only frowned.
“Fiiine.”

“Okay pack your things! We’re going to Tallon Port!”

------------------

Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo continued the gaze in awe at the lush, fertile land of Argil. They had never seen a healthy tree before, and a tall one as a matter of fact. Only the occasionally thorny weed and a sickly looking tomato plant that Ms. Onyx, their school teacher tried to grow once. They thought growing their own food was a lost cause. The breeze blew and the leaves seemed to dance welcoming Braeburn home. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo were too busy noticing the fauna and flora to see the magnificent port that they were approaching. Spike was only a few inches from them where he was gazing at the great marble structures, elegantly carved from master craftsponies and the port was bustling just like Tallon port. The architecture of the buildings was completely unlike anything he’d seen. It had a lot of steeples, domes and peaks on top. They were made from marble and a shiny type of material he’d never seen before. There were arches to each building with graceful finishes. The buildings were much taller than any building back home except the Canterlot Castle. Despite all the craftsponyship, the real accent of the port was graceful dance of nature around it. Flowering trees and plants grew everywhere. There was one building that had a hanging garden. “So pretty,” he managed to say.
Cheering and music could be heard from afar.

“The Willow celebration started.” Braeburn said approaching them he had some cloth in his hoof, “Sweetie, Scootaloo come ‘ere.”
Sweetie and Scootaloo had a hard time ripping their eyes away from the magnificent sight.

“Y’all gotta wear these cloaks. Yer gotta keep yer wings and horn covered. Can’t let anypony know who you are. Ponies there you see...”

“We know” Scootaloo said, and she and Sweetie took a cloak each draping themselves.

“Dun do too much to look like an outsider, ‘kay? Keep close to me. Spike, when we reach port, I’ll make arrangements fer yer to go to Willow City. That’s where the princess is.”

“HAYSIDE POOOOOOOOOOOOORT!!!”

“Well looks like we’re here...” said Braeburn nervously. The ship slowly docked, and during the great bustle, just as in Tallon Port, three earth pony guards approached the ship. Spike thought they looked really intimidating. Their armour was black and silver and the crests on their helmet were emerald green. The weapons they carried looked completely different from the ones in Canterlot. It looked like a spear in shape but the tip didn’t look like it was used for throwing. Spike didn’t want to think about how it worked. He shivered the guards’ presence. He was more worried about Sweetie and Scooaloo being found out. Gilda and the other Griffons busied themselves in unpacking empty crates to the jetty.

“Okay follow me.” Braeburn signalled and he descended the ramp with Spike and the two fillies close behind.

“FELLERS! HOW Y’ALL DOIN’? HAPPY WILLOWING!”

“Hey Braeburn,” said one of the guards, “’Tis a while, you left here like a week ago. What happened?”

“Long story Nettle,” Braeburn said, “I’ll tell yer ‘bout it at the Barn Show later ‘kay!”

“HOLD IT!” said the other guard looking suspiciously at Braeburn’s companions, “Who’s with you Braeburn?”

“This ‘ere’s Spike from Draconia! Picked him up at Tallon Port! Said he wanted tuh come sightsee Argil! So I offered to show ‘im around a bit!” Braeburn said in no time. Spike nervously smiled and waved awkwardly at the guards.

“I’m talking ‘bout thoooose two,” said the guard watching them. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle shivered but made sure to keep their extra members covered, “I remember you went alone.”

“Naaaaaaaaw, you must have left when these two got on board! ‘Tis here my two little cousins, Sugar Apple and Honey Crisp! Took them out tuh see Tallon Port fer the firs’ time!” Braeburn explained. Spike wasn’t sure that lie would work because the guard was still looking at the fillies suspiciously. Sweetie and Scootaloo shifted a little to get closer to Braeburn. Gilda sensed what was happening and came down to the jetty.

“Hey fellas! I brought some of those sulphur-axecalt shards you asked me for.” Gilda’s intervention saved Braeburn any more interrogation. The guards’ attention was diverted and Braeburn spent no more time there. He quickly walked off with Spike and the fillies toward the port while shouting back, “Imma see yer later Nettle! Gilda! I’ll be at the usual market stall!”
Spike, Sweetie and Scootaloo breathed a great sigh of relief as they entered the port which made their eyes wander excitedly. The market area so far more busier than Tallon Port or any market in Equestria. There were heaps of fruits, vegetables, and hay. Hoards of earth pony vendors were auctioning to customers, mostly zebras and griffons. Spike thought it would've been quite easy to get lost in the multitude so he tried to keep as close to Braeburn as possible. It was quite a sight for the three new comers, but the shop doors that were open allowing the aroma of freshly baked goods to fill the air, made them hungry.

“Gee, those smell really good!” Spike said. Braeburn laughed and into the bakery and brought out four hot apple fritters and some pudding, after they then settled at a seating area and ate them to great satisfaction.

“This is the best thing I’ve ever eaten!” Scootaloo exclaimed.

“That ain’t nuttin’” Braeburn said, “just you wait till yer taste the Apple Family Willow jamboree’s goods!” The group seemed really hyped about food. But Braeburn said that they had to press on as Spike had a mission. Spike noticed that almost everypony were greeting Braeburn as they walked by. He thought that Braeburn normally would not mind but he looked quite uncomfortable as he had three acquaintances of which two shouldn’t even be there in the first place. They eventually got up after a few minutes and pressed on.

"Okay keep up you three. Spike, we're goin' over to Spurs there. He'll take yer tuh Willow City." Braeburn said and he changed direction to a street full of carriages. The group walked past a few shops and then they stopped at one that had a rugged looking stallion at the front fixing a wheel on one of the carriages. "SPURS!!!" The stallion jumped at hearing his name. He was a little unkempt. His mane was a dull green and his coat was tan colored.

"Braeburn!! Good to see...huk!" Braeburn pushed his muzzle to Spurs.

"You gave me a busted ship! Why I oughtta..."

"I fixed it. I TOLD you gotta be careful not to give the planks too much strain!"

"I lost a good shipment of apples cuz a you!!”

"It ain't my fault yer didn't listen to me!"

"If you weren't my best friend......I'd......... I’d........”, Braeburn let out a long heavy sigh, “DADGUM IT SPURS!! ... Look, I need a favor." Spurs just looked at Braeburn.

"I need yer tuh take Spike and these two young 'uns here to Willow City."

"You know I can't go tuh Willow City during the festival week. It's chaos in the city now! Who are they anyway and why are they wearing cloaks? It’s hot out."

"Dun ask okay? Please.

"In words of Big Mac, Nnnnnooope."

“You owe me Spurs, ‘member that time you got drunk and was trying to hit on that mare and it turned out to be a stallion and I had to bust into the room...”

“OKAY OKAY! DADGUM IT Braeburn! Why yer gotta bring that up!” Spurs sighed but his face turned red either from anger or embarassment, “I’ll be here tomorrow at nine. Can’t make today, gotta fix this damn wheel.” Braeburn looked at Spike and smiled. Braeburn turned and gave Spurs a nod, and he walked off back to the market area with the group following him. “Where are we going now Braeburn?” Spike asked.

“To the apple stall, gotta meet mah cousin Applejack and Gilda.” Braeburn walked through the crowd once more. Spike bumped into a couple of ponies and zebras while Sweetie and Scootaloo were weaselling their way through. Finally, Spike caught up to Braeburn moving toward the largest apple stall in the market.

“HEY THERE COUSIN!” Braeburn called out.

“BRAEBURN!” said the blonde, orange coated pony. Their similar emerald, green eyes were a dead giveaway at relations, “where’ve you bin? Yer just went out for two days, and you came back after a week! We got tons of apples to sell off! This year’s busier than a beehive bein’ attacked by a bear.”

“Listen Applejack, I gots sumtun ....”

“Howdy! We gots fresh, red galas picked this morning! Going fuh only six seeds per heap!....... Thanks much!”

“Applejack! Listen! You gotta give another shipment of apples to Gilda, I kinda lost the last ‘un.”

“WHAT?!... Howdy! Got fresh ‘uns today...” Applejack said feigning a smile then shoved her muzzle into Braeburn’s face, “...How in tarnation you managed that?!!”

Braeburn looked around nervously. “Mah ship went down okay! And so did the apples! I promised Gilda I’d get her another from y’all. So please please pleaaaase.... can yer help me out?” Braeburn said with a pitiful look.

“GOOD GRAVY BRAEBURN!” Applejack had done a facehoof, she paused, rolled her eyes, took in a deep breath in and out and then said, “Okay... okay Braeburn.”

“Thanks cuz... oh I gotta another thing too” Applejack shot him a more serious look. “.. This here is Spike! He’s a...”

“Dragon.” Spike said before Braeburn had a chance to use that annoying description of him. Applejack managed a little curious stare.

“And this is... uuuuh... Sweetie? Scootaloo?” Braeburn and Spike looked around.

“DADGUM IT!!!”

-----------

Twilight and the group sailed on calm waters toward Tallon Port. They had packed as much necessities for the journey, which includes Twilight’s books, but food had to be rationed carefully. Rarity sat solemnly thinking about Sweetie Belle. Was she okay? Where did she and Scootaloo go? Were they with Spike and Braeburn? What if she got hurt? A thousand questions swirled through her mind and she was sure Rainbow probably was thinking the same thing though the rainbow colored Pegasus was looking very tough on the outside. Twilight kept her head glued to the journal and a few other old books that they took from the library room while Fluttershy helped her.

‘April 16th 474 CPE

Lieutenant General Albedo and I have been assigned to oversee the new food production policies that King Sombra implemented. He demands that more food be produced for the upcoming conference between Griffonia, Equestria, Maretonia and Saddle Arabia. He wishes to show the economic might that Equestria has in hopes that the talks will show that Equestria is the dominant country and he should be made chancellor of the treaties. I am starting to question some of his real motives behind this. The earth beasts are already producing more than enough, and in order to carry out his will I gave one third of my labor force at home to the field task masters, their numbers are slowly dwindling.....’ Twilight skipped a few paragraphs and read on, ‘....I see her doing her daily tasks day in day out looking so cheerful even in her wretched state. She hums an eerie yet enchanting song ever so softly that even in my sleep I hear it. My wife had her whipped several times for humming but I yearn to hear it more. Whenever I command her to look at me, she refuses only to take a quick glance and then to turn away but her deep, cerulean eyes can certainly pierce through me. Never have I seen such ugliness yet enchanting beauty in one pony, not even amongst the most adorned pegasi or unicorns....’

“What is this?” Twilight thought, “Was he..? But I thought it was one of the five rules...” Twilight thought scratching her head. She speed-read through a number of pages and then stopped at another entry.

‘My wife is furious. However, she has no intent on reporting me, she fears the shame that she will bear. I had broken the first forbidden rule because I couldn’t contain myself whenever Hazel Blossom was in my presence. Her very existence is like an addictive poison to me. I have grown weak. I could not have her killed, instead I have sold Hazel Blossom to keep her further from Virga’s whip and before anypony has found out my terrible secret ....’

“How dare you! You are filthy and disgusting just like them. I cannot bear the shame you have brought upon yourself and me. I will not have that thing around in this house!” the pegasus mare’s lips were trembling.

Gustnado remained silent on his haunches. He stared blanky at the walls in his bedroom allowing his wife to her outbursts. Virga paced up and down the marble floors. Gustnado thought she would surely make tracks in them. She finally opened the door of the bedroom and called for the zebra servant.

“Get me the whip!!! I will beat this earth whore and her filthy mutant till they are dead.” Virga said with murderous eyes. Gustnado snapped out of his trance and approached his wife. He held his hoof to her, “DON’T TOUCH ME!”

“Virga... I will get rid of her and the foal. I will send them to the Fillydelphian fields.” he said. Virga turned to him.

“You are spineless. I can’t believe you have turned so soft-hearted! A great Lieutenant General. I cannot stay in the same room with you.” Virga stormed out of the room. Gustando gave the servant instructions to have the slave trader come by. Within a few hours, Hazel Blossom was being led out in chains with a tiny earth colt in one of her hooves. His coat was pale grey just like Gustnado but he had the same piercing, cerulean eyes. The trader came up to Gustnado and presented the bill of sale to him.

“The transaction is complete, good sir. A bill of sale for one earth mare, Hazel Blossom and her foal, Grey Willow.”

“Thank you” Gustnado said blankly and watched as a teary Hazel Blossom disappear in the slave trader’s cart.

“Twilight.” Rarity approached her, “I can’t seem to get those two mischievous fillies out of my mind. I feel so uneasy.”

“I’m sure they are okay Rarity,” Twilight said ripping her eyes away from the diary, “I don’t think Spike will let them out of his sight. I trust him; you should put a little more faith in him too.” Rarity gave a little sigh.

“But what if they got into Argil??” Fluttershy said joining in the conversation.

“Well Braeburn said that unicorn and pegasi can’t get in so unless they found a way to get in then the only thing to worry about is the ponies reaction to them there. I think that after finding out about this history situation I’m pretty sure they’d be safer in Tallon Port than in Argil.”

“This boat is soooooo slow! “ Rainbow said finally coming down from her height, “I wanna get to Tallon Port already and get go back. I can’t stand the thought that Gilda will be there! What will happen to Scootaloo if Gilda realizes she connected to me?”

“We’ll get there soon guys. Just a little further.”

----------

“Excuse have you seen two fillies in cloaks?.... Excuse me!.......Excuse me, have you seen two fillies in cloaks?” Spike and Braeburn raced around the market area searching for Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. And each time they got a confused look or a ‘No’.
“No no no! Twilight will kill me or worse... Rarity will.” Spike began to feel sick thinking about it. He resumed asking around until finally one of the vendors said she thought she saw them go towards the festival show. Spike and Braeburn darted off in the direction of the square.

Sweetie and Scootaloo were looking around in full awe at the festivities that were taking place only a few meters away from the market. They entered a huge circular area that was filled with mares and fillies decorated with flowers in their manes and wearing elegant yet simple dresses in an array of colors. The music was lively and enchanting at the same time. The fillies had never seen anything like that before. There were parties and celebrations in Equestria but it was in a more boring and narcissistic manner. Their heads were craned looking up at a giant stone statue of an earth stallion wearing a cloak with one foreleg raised. By the looks of it he must been quite handsome because it had piercing eyes. There were other statutes near the square too. There were smaller ones of a mare holding a book and another stallion in armor holding a spear.

Sweetie and Scootaloo’s attention was diverted when the decorated mares began an energetic dance with stallion or colt partners trotting and skipping along to the lively fiddles in circles around the giant statue. It was well choreographed as all the hoof steps were in tune. Cheering and hoof clapping went well along with the dance and flower petals were thrown from the rooftops that made the air sparkle with dancing flowers as well. The fillies moved in to get a better view of the celebrations. As they snaked their way through the crowd they bumped into another filly at the front.

“Sorry!” Sweetie said where the little filly replied “’Tis okay.”
“...Scootaloo look!” Fireworks went up into the air yet again making the celebrations even more exciting.

“WHOOOOA!” Scootaloo and Sweetie exclaimed. Sweetie couldn’t contain herself and had the jump up yelling “Sooo exciting!” making her hood fall back a bit. A spark from her horn burst making the third filly look at her.
Scootaloo noticed quickly and scrambled to help Sweetie get her hood back on. When they noticed the other filly was staring at them they quickly scrambled to get out of the crowd.
They ran out and back toward the market area and ducked into a little area to hide.

“That was close...” Scootaloo said panting, “I think we need to find Spike.”
They climbed atop of a box and looked around till they saw Spike frantically searching.

“SPI---KE! WE’RE HEEEERE!” Sweetie said waving her hoof.

Spike looked up and saw Scootaloo waving at him, ‘OH THANK CELESTIA!” The three met once again with Braeburn looking tired coming up from the rear.

“WH... WHA-WHAT’RE Y’ALL...hold on...,” Braeburn managed to say trying to catch his breath, “What the HAY y’all disappeared for? Y’all wanna get into trouble?”

“Sorry... we saw the celebration and it looked awesome. We just wanted to see it.” Scootaloo said.

“Look if y’all wanna see the willow celebration then the apple family’s ‘un’s the best! So come on! And please stay with me this time. Tomorrow Spurs’ll take you to Willow City. Please dun go getting lost.” The fillies stuck with Braeburn and when they returned to the apple stand, Gilda was there waiting for Braeburn.

“’Bout time you showed up!” Gilda said casually biting only an apple.

“Didja get yer shipment?”

“Yeah, good thing yer cousin is an honest one, numbnuts. By the way.... you didn’t tell me the Willow Celebration started either... I might just stay a while.”

“How yer gonna get back?” Braeburn asked.

“I have these numbnuts.” Gilda said flapping her wings.

“It’s a no fly zone... and stop calling me numbnuts or any name as a matter of fact.”

“Well I’ll just take a boat out to the waters and fly when I get outside.” Gilda replied. Braeburn spent no more time interrogating Gilda, he instead turned to Applejack who was packing up because Gilda’s crew bought the entire stock from her.

“Anyway Applejack let me introduce you to Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. They’re...”

“Applejack Applejack! You’ll never believe what I saw today!” said a voice from afar. It was the same filly who’d notice Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle. The yellow filly with red hair and a pink bow on top came running up to Applejack.

“Applebloom! Didn’t cha notice cousin Braeburn?! Mind yer manners!”

“Braeburn! Good ter see yer!” Applebloom raced toward Braeburn and hugged him. “Didja bring me anything?”

“APPLEBLOOM!” Applejack shouted.

“Aww, pipe down Applejack. Well... Applebloom I didn’t bring those shells you asked for but let me introduce yer to Spike, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo.”

Applebloom’s eyes widened, so did Sweetie and Scootaloo.

“Hey I know them! That one has a horn! She’s a unicorn!” Applebloom exclaimed pointing to Sweetie.

Author's Note:

Okay this took a while. I'd normally write this in a night when i gots nuttin to do, but now... my schedule is gettin' heavier.

I'd like to suggest an ambiance music for the Hayside celebration. The first thing that come to my mind is the "Disney's Tangled - Kingdom Dance". I think it fits well with my celebration dance. *squee* :pinkiehappy:

Gonna try to write Chap 5 on Saturday in one go....

Chronocrosser.... Spike and Gilda gonna be main from next chap gonna drown Braeburn into the background from next. :moustache: