• Published 22nd Jan 2015
  • 489 Views, 37 Comments

Tales of a Hidden World: Book 2 - Braininthejar



There are secrets long forgotten that still shape the fate of Equestria

  • ...
1
 37
 489

Crossing the River

“Who are you talking about?”

“Her! My love! She died for you, for all of you! Don’t you remember?”

“No.”

“Neither do I.”

“Dunno what you’re talking about.”

“Doesn’t ring a bell. Are you feeling okay?”

***

Obsidian awoke with a start. He looked at the afternoon sky behind the small window, trying to remember what was going on, while the anguish and panic slowly faded from his mind.

I’m at the barracks… yes, I came back from a mission in the morning, and went to sleep. Why was I… oh, a bad dream. Again. I must be spending too much time on the front line. I keep sleeping badly. What would I give for a vacation.

As he rolled out of bed, and onto his hooves, he looked at the alarm clock on the night table. There was still half an hour until his scheduled wake up, too little to go back to sleep, but enough for him to feel groggy and unfocused. Grumbling under his nose, he dragged his legs towards the showers.

What was that about? Indicina, I think… Something happened to her? But she’s in the palace today, isn’t she? She’s much safer than I am…

He entered the shower stall, and grabbed the valve with his teeth.

Sun and Moon, I need to wake up. I wonder where they’re sending us tonight.

***

The Sun was already beginning to set when Obsidian and Winter Gem arrived at the camp. It was set up in the swamplands, visibly a temporary measure to give the soldiers a place to sleep after a busy day of cornering the enemy.

“Take a look,” said a unicorn officer, handling him binoculars. Obsidian grasped the tool with his magic, levitating it in front of his face. There was some movement across the river, large, furry shapes moving behind the cover of reeds. Obsidian counted, trying to guess the full size of the force from the few details he could see.

“Scouting?” he asked.
“High altitude air team,” replied the officer. “They have someone blocking our seers, and there are too many darts up close. But from what we could see, they don’t really have where to run. If we attack along the river, they’ll be trapped between the bank, our forces, and the quicksand behind.”

“So, with your main forces on the other side, and you here ready to pick them off if they try to swim across, they’ve caught themselves in a trap?” asked Winter Gem, her magic taking the binoculars from Obsidian. “Looks like the battle is won, and we’re just here to make sure you take them down with minimum losses.”

The officer nodded. “Credit where it’s due, it was our logistics support division that used their magic to prepare this trap. That position would have been a good defensive position just yesterday. Beyond that, pretty much yes. Whatever zebra magic the enemy have, it won’t be enough to dry up their retreat route. But it still leaves them plenty of tools to hurt my soldiers, and the high command wants results as quickly as possible. We thought your gifts could let us change it from a gruelling battle into a mere speed bump.”

The two Elements looked at each other. Obsidian saw himself reflected in the pink pools of color that Winter Gem’s irises had turned into. He remembered seeing his own eyes, now two circles of glowing amber, in the mirror at the base. He still hadn’t gotten used to how their Elements changed them.

“If we can get them to surrender,” said Winter Gem to the officer, “would it slow you too much to have them transported?”

The unicorn considered the situation. “All of them? It would be a huge pain. But still preferable to a battle. That poison they use is a mess morale-wise. And I’d rather delay a day or two, then face the next big battle without our full strength.”

There was a whoosh of air, as a black-coated pegasus flew over them, making a tight turn on descent, and landing in front of the commander. “Colonel,” he said, “a report from her highness’ command ship. She’ll be dispatching Arrogance and Vengeance to aid us.”

The officer looked from the messenger to the Elements and back. “Two of you, and two of… them? Isn’t that redundant? Or does the command know something we don’t?”

“We haven’t been told anything,” replied Obsidian. “And we were teleported here. That means Flagrantia must be acting without consulting Sophus. What do we do?” he asked Winter Gem.

The mare considered the situation. “We haven’t received orders not to do our part. We don’t need any help for it, so I say we might as well.”

“I agree,” said Obsidian. “Colonel, we’ll be going to meet our enemy, to see if we can talk them into surrendering. It will be easier if your ponies stay back.”

“I understand,” replied the commander, grabbing the binoculars as Winter Gem levitated them his way. He turned towards the messenger pegasus. “Fly by the bank. Tell our forward guard not to interfere.”

***

Obsidian and Winter Gem stood at the river bank. Obsidian ordered his staff to hit the ground, leaving it embedded upright into the mud. Winter Gem had no weapon, nor did she need any. They spent a moment checking the spells cast at their armor, before Winter Gem cast another one - it spread from her horn over both ponies, finally concentrating on their hooves.

With some hesitation, Obsidian stepped onto the surface of the river. He could feel the slow current move lazily under his hooves, but with just a bit of effort he was able to force the magic to keep him stable. He walked forward, watching the ripples spread across the water as he moved.

He could already see movement on the other side. There was a snap of something stretchy in the distance, and an apple-sized stone ball flew towards him, skidding across the water, as he sidestepped the attack.

He focused his magic, and felt it extend like a film over his coat, ready to protect him from any incoming projectiles.

“I’d rather not deal with cursed darts,” he said. “I think it’s time to do your thing.”

Winter Gem sighed. “You know we could’ve just waved a white flag, don’t you?”

Obsidian snorted. “Not everyone respects those. You are way more direct.”

“Well, that’s what I’m here for, isn’t it?” said Winter Gem. She stopped walking, and inhaled deeply, lines of pink light swirling around the gorget on her neck.

“There is no need for violence,” she said.

The light spread, in a bright flash, washing over the surface of the river, and then the opposite bank. As the white unicorn observed the effects of her power, she nodded with satisfaction, and resumed her walk.

They could see more details now, as the enemies emerged from among the water plants. The enemy force was a mix of buffaloes and zebras, all dressed in war paint, visibly worn out by extended conflict, but still determined. There were weapons, some held in mouth, some strapped to the bodies, spears, spikes, blowguns, and even small, back-mounted ballistas. Nobody attacked, but every pair of eyes was fixed on the two ponies walking across the lake.

It was Obsidian’s turn to call upon his Element. Sending the magic into his throat, he imbued his voice with power, enough to be heard over considerable distance. He inhaled, and focused on the gem on his chest, bringing forth the power to make others feel his conviction.
“We’re here to talk to your commander!” he called over the crowd.

There was some movement, and a buzz of hushed whispers filled the reeds. “Our commander has nothing to talk to you about!” called some buffalo, whose tangled, wet fur made him look like a pile of compost.

“We’re here to give you a chance to surrender,” said Winter Gem.

Obsidian imbued his voice with Honesty again. “If you fight, all of you will die.”

There was stunned silence at that. The gathered Alliance forces must have known their odds, but making them face the truth through the power of Honesty shook them to the bone. Just as Obsidian wanted.

“And how is a surrender going to save us?” called an old, male voice from inside the group.

A thin, old zebra stallion dressed in colored wood and feathers, walked out of his hiding spot and onto the bank. Obsidian ground his teeth when he recognized him.

“This won’t end well,” he whispered to Winter Gem. The mare didn’t seem to understand, until she saw a gorget on the old shaman’s neck, a glowing fuchsia gem in the middle of it.

“You,” said Obsidian. “Are you the one leading these soldiers to death?”

The zebra cleared his throat, and spat into the water at Obsidian’s feet. “I’m Busara, the spirit guide. I speak for these zebras.”

“You don’t rhyme,” noticed Winter Gem aloud, before catching herself.

Busara cast her a dirty look. “Not in your tongue.” He looked from one pony to the other. “A white mare offering mercy, and a black stallion offering threats of death. Is that how you want to break us?”

“It’s… a simple fact,” said Obsidian. “You will die if you don’t surrender.”

The zebra met his gaze. “You are blasphemers and tyrants. To bow to you is dishonor. Why would we insult our ancestors trying to save ourselves, when you have already doomed us all?”

Winter Gem raised both eyebrows. “What are you talking about?”

“Busara feels very strongly about the Elements,” explained Obsidian. “Now, listen,” he said, turning to the zebra. “This is not about you. If it was about you, I wouldn’t give you this chance. Not while you’re still wearing a trophy taken from a comrade of mine. But there are hundreds at your side, and they don’t need to die for your hubris.”

“They will die for yours,” answered the zebra.

Obsidian glared at him angrily. “Are you even listening to yourself?” He looked around at the gathered zebras. “Are you listening to this!? Is this really your leader?”

“Terrible vengeance will strike us down,” said Busara. “What we think about it is meaningless.”

Obsidian hissed through his teeth. “How do you know?” before biting his tongue angrily.

“I don’t mean your monster, blasphemer,” said Busara. “The spirits tell of her coming, but it is nothing compared to what you’ve brought upon us.”

“Perhaps I should try this?” asked Winter Gem, looking at Obsidian. “It’s going to sound harsh, but your side has already lost. There is no point in dragging this... suffering any longer.”

The zebra looked at her. “You are the bearer of Kindness, are you not?” he asked.

“I am,” confirmed Winter Gem. Obsidian decided to stay silent, just listening to the two speak.

“You think your kindness will make the world a better place,” said Busara.

“I do,” said Winter Gem with a nod.

“You, who’ve lost everything to the flames, want to make a difference for others,” continued the shaman.

Winter Gem suppressed a surprised gasp.

“And yet,” continued Busara, “the Kindness you bear, it comes from the realm of gods, stolen from them in your blasphemous ritual. Do you think they have any kindness left to show us?”

“Ah,” said Wither Gem, finally understanding “so this is your line of thinking…”

Busara looked her in the eyes. “This world has been engulfed in madness, first from the war your leader caused, and then by your hoof. It can’t be healed by words, or reason. It is incapable of finding harmony, no matter what you do. Because you took it for yourselves, and grafted it into your souls. As long as you live, there is no hope for this world. Will you die, and return what you’ve stolen, to restore the balance?”

Winter Gem stood in silence. “Even if this is what you believe, I cannot. There are ponies that rely on me. I believe differently from you, and I act on it, for the good of all the ponies who still have a home to return to.”

Busara took a step back, then turned around, looking at the zebras and buffalos gathered at the river. He finally faced the two Elements again.

“Then, you are both monsters, and it is our duty to fight you till our last breath, for the sake of everything that still lives!” he exclaimed. “Now, go back to your army. If this is our last night, we’ll face it with honor!”

“Go away!” shouted someone from the crowd. “Go and die!” shouted another. “Monsters!” added some buffalo. “Blasphemers!”

The shouts kept coming, the gathered army turning into a hateful crowd in a matter of seconds. Obsidian gritted his teeth, staring into the angry faces. “Winter Gem?”

The unicorn clenched her jaw with effort. She breathed slowly, purposefully, through the nose. “I can manage. But we’ve failed.”

“Let’s turn back,” said Obsidian, turning around.

They both walked away, the insults from the river bank pursuing them most of the way.

“They really think us monsters,” said Obsidian. “Are we?”

Winter Gem looked at him, studying his expression. “You used your zone of truth on him, didn’t you?”

Obsidian nodded. “I did. I had to make sure he was honest with us. He didn’t even stutter. He meant every word.”

“And he made you second-guess yourself?” asked Winter Gem.

Obsidian looked into the water at his feet, his tail flicking in frustration. “He did. When he called me a monster, he meant that too.”

Winter Gem sighed. “But you aren’t a monster.”

“Aren’t I?” asked Obsidian. “He looked down at his chest. “I’m not a monster.” He snorted, and looked at his friend. “See? I can say it, but I can’t make it ring true. I can’t say it with conviction.”

Winter Gem smiled. “That only speaks of your conviction, not of the truth. If you are still uncertain, consider this. That shaman that called you a monster. He’s wearing Inspiration, taken from Bianca’s body. He was your enemy. And yet, you were the one trying to save all of his soldiers, and he was the one who doomed them all.”

They were just about to reach the river bank. Obsidian called his staff, pulling it free from the mud, and turned around. The Sun was setting now, its light turning the water deep red.

“All of them?” he asked, “Are you sure?”

Winter Gem nodded sadly. “I could feel their anger. They’re not going to surrender. And even if they do, it will be too late by then.”

***

It was just past the moon rise when the Imperial colonel appeared at the bank, approaching the Elements with a pair of alicorns in tow. One of them was Libra, clad in an intricate armor that made her look like royalty. The other…

“Gloria,” said Obsidian. “You have wings now?”

Gloria looked at her sides. “Libra made them for me. They don’t really work without pegasi magic, I have to use my power to move the air around them. I love the look though.”

“Did the enemy move?” asked Libra.

“They did not.” answered Winter Gem. “They’ve sent a couple of spirits, but I managed to repel them all before they could possess anypony. It seems they have no hope of retreating anymore, but they won’t surrender either. They got it into her heads to die in a honorable battle.”

“There won’t be a battle,” said Libra.

Obsidian looked at her with surprise. “What do you mean?”

“My forces are already retreating,” said the colonel. “Our presence is demanded elsewhere, so the new orders we’ve got is to stay out of their way.”

“You’re going to fight them all by yourself, aren’t you?” asked Obsidian.

“No,” said Libra. “A fight is what they want. My orders are to remove them. Gloria?”

The two alicorns approached the river bank, leaning over the dark waters.

“What are you planning to do?” asked Winter Gem.

“Libra is experimenting with a new transmutation,” said Gloria. “I cannot manipulate matter on such fine level, but I can help her accelerate the process.” She looked aside at the officer. “When can we get a confirmation that your forces are away?”

The unicorn shifted uncomfortably. He really doesn’t want them here, realised Obsidian.

The officer cast a quick spell with his horn. It flew up, all but invisible in the darkness, before detonating high up in the sky, north of their current location, a sequence of blinking lights hanging in the air.

Everypony stared into the air. Obsidian found himself counting seconds. One, two, three, four, five, six…

When he reached eight, there was a response, three bursts of light high in the air, each flashing the same sequence of colors.

The colonel took a deep breath. “All of them have reached their ordered position. There is nopony of ours downwind. Is that what you wanted?”

“Yes,” replied Libra. “This is all we needed.” She turned away from him, and leaned forward, until her horn touched the water. Gloria followed suit.

Obsidian looked curiously over their shoulders. It took him a moment to notice any change in the darkness, but there was something in the water, spreading from the two ponies, An opaque, oily blot extending slowly as it moved down the current.

“If this is what I think it is…” he started.

“It’s a swampland,” answered Gloria. “It’s not critical to our plans. Removing enemy forces, and preserving our own is.”

The river was already a mess of dull grey. Obsidian could hear some voices from the other side; the enemy sentries noticed it too.

Libra straightened and moved away from the water. The other ponies did too, and Obsidian felt a cool breeze on his face; Winter Gem covered them in a protective shroud of wind.

“We are done here,” said Libra, a single spark or lightning shooting from her horn. In an instant the river was aflame, turning light into day for three seconds, before the flames disappeared, hidden by smoke. The other bank disappeared, cut off by a wall of white fumes.

The five ponies observed what was happening, their ears twitching as they tried to hear anything through the cloud. Finally, Libra turned away.

“We’re required elsewhere,” she said.

Gloria turned around, looking at the faces of the ponies around her. When she looked at the commander, his face rigid with shock, her own face contorted into a scowl. Regaining control, she smiled. “It is done, colonel. The enemy is gone, and you haven’t lost a single soldier.” She took a pause, which stretched on, until it became uncomfortable silence. “No need to thank us.”

Libra turned to look at Gloria, who nodded. Both mares disappeared; with no sound, or flash of teleportation - simply gone in an instant.

The three ponies left at the bank looked at each other.

“She really did expect you to thank her,” said Obsidian.

The colonel turned to look at the river again, before looking Obsidian in the eyes. “Thank her… for this?”