• Published 22nd Jan 2015
  • 486 Views, 37 Comments

Tales of a Hidden World: Book 2 - Braininthejar



There are secrets long forgotten that still shape the fate of Equestria

  • ...
1
 37
 486

The Light of the New Era

soundtrack - right clik to open in a new tag

“Take care” said Obsidian with a smile as Indicina walked off the flying chariot.

The mare turned around to look at him, hesitating briefly when she looked into his eyes; she still couldn’t quite get used to the opaque, orange irises the splicing ritual had given him.

“I’ll be safe in the Imperial palace,” she said. “You take care.”

Obsidian smiled wider. “Don’t worry, I will.”

Indicina leaned forward, giving him a small peck on the cheek, before turning around once again and walking towards the hangar exit, ignoring the silent snickering of the two pegasi knights pulling Obsidian’s chariot away and back into the air. Behind her, a group of servants swarmed the second chariot, unloading her luggage.

“Please wait while we run the clearance check,” said one of the two guards standing around the hangar door. He lit his horn and moved it up and down in front of Indicina.

“We don’t want any unwanted changelings getting in.” He paused as he saw Indicina’s expression. Then he turned away awkwardly, only to see his companion glaring at him.

“I’m aware of that,” said Indicina, suppressing the urge to explain to the guard just how aware she was. Suddenly it occurred to her that the white and silver dress she was now wearing did not command the kind of respect her lab coat would.

By Gaia, I actually look my age now, she thought. No wonder he’s treating me like a -

“Miss?” the guard interrupted her train of thought. “There seems to be some illusion magic active on you.”

Indicina blinked in confusion before her brain caught up and provided the answer. “What? Oh, right. It’s just a cosmetic illusion. I need to look my best today. You can still confirm my identity, right?”

The guard hesitated. His companion stepped in and performed a scan of his own, checking the results with the contents of his notebook.

“Yes, we can. Your aura readings match. Please proceed and have a nice day, doctor.”

Indicina walked through the door, leaving the two guards squabbling behind her. As she walked through the corridor leading to the palace proper, a white unicorn wearing the palace colors approached her.

“Good day, miss. I have been sent to escort you. His majesty awaits you in the palace gardens.” He then turned towards the servants carrying Indicina’s bags. “Deliver these to the blue suite in the western wing.”

***

The unicorn led Indicina through the palace grounds, around the main building and past the main gardens. There were some nobles there, enjoying themselves - Indicina could feel their eyes on the back of her head as her guide led her towards a more secluded part of the grounds, separated by a tall hedge, with a pair of pegasi standing guard in the entrance.

These are the Emperor’s gardens, off limits to almost anypony, so he can get some peace and quiet with his family, she realised. Am I supposed to go there?

As if guessing her thoughts, the unicorn nodded reassuringly. “This way, please.”

The inside of the private garden didn’t seem much different from the rest - there were a bit more statues, white marble sculptures commemorating heroes and wise ponies of old, the hedges were a bit taller, the flower arrangements less extravagant.

Fewer gardeners here to disrupt the peace, Indicina thought.

Right then a trio of alicorns walked from behind a corner. It was Discidium, accompanied by two of his wives. The Emperor was wearing his gorget and a white uniform covering the front of his body, and Indicina instantly noticed the slight limp in his left front leg.

Discidium smiled. “So, you have arrived. It is good to see you again, Indicina.”

Indicina curtsied. “Your Majesty.”

“No need to be so formal,” said Discidium, without dropping his smile. “I may be your emperor, but I also owe you my life.” He looked to his left and right. “I take it you haven’t yet been introduced to Pulchra and Bona?”

The two mares approached Indicina, smiles of reflexive politeness plastered on their faces.

“It is a pleasure to met you, doctor,” said Bona.

“Discidium has told us that you will be our guest for the next couple of weeks,” said Pulchra.

Indicina returned the smile. “Yes… I’ll be providing some expertise… to make sure the healing goes properly...”

What should I say? I’m not good at this. They’re both so pretty, they don’t look their age at all. Is it healing magic or are they just using illusions?

“...It is a great honor to be here,” she managed to finish.

“I assure you, you’ve earned every bit of it,” said Discidium. “Come, I shall give you a tour of the inner palace grounds.” He turned to walk back down the path he had come from, and Indicina caught a small wince on his face when he shifted his forelegs.

“Your Majesty,” she said, trying not to be too loud. “is the injury still bothering you that much?”

The two female alicorns looked at Indicina with a frown. The emperor forced a smile. The topaz on his chest glowed briefly.

“I’m using magic to alleviate the pain,” he said, looking down on the gemstone. “My doctors assure me that Verba did an admirable job of getting rid of the curse, but there is some lasting damage, and it is taking longer than expected to heal.”

Indicina looked around. Her guide had already disappear, following the long established tradition of servants not being seen or heard unless needed. Indeed, there didn’t seem to be any staff within earshot.

“I assume the problem lies in morphic resonance?” she asked.

Discidium nodded. “It seems so. This is why I called you. My doctors might be the best when it comes to healing, but when it comes to high power magic, an expert like you can provide the experience even they might lack.”

Indicina relaxed. This she was better prepared for.

“What is wrong exactly?” asked Pulchra. “You said the curse has been removed. Healing the injury itself should have taken days at best.”

“Under normal circumstances, yes,” replied Indicina. “With an ordinary injury, it’s just a matter of giving the body some extra lifeforce, and it will reknit itself. The body has a morphic resonance with the soul that inhabits it. It’s like it feels how it should be and uses the extra energy to restore health. This of course can cause problems with-” she paused before turning towards Discidium. “Ah, I see, this is why your Majesty asked my help. The problem is similar to-” she stopped with her mouth open before blushing in embarrassment. “Wait, this is still a military secret, isn’t it?”

“I’m sure you can explain the situation to my wives without lecturing them on your work,” said Discidium, “While I can see your enthusiasm, I fear they might not appreciate it.”

The two mares nodded in confirmation, although they kept looking at Indicina.

“To describe it in simpler terms,” said Indicina, “a curse like that is designed to be very destructive. It doesn’t just burn the flesh, but the target’s very being. Before we can fully repair the damage, we need to…” she hesitated, thinking of how to explain the concept, “persuade the body that it isn’t supposed to be burned. It will require fine-tuning a custom designed spell to put everything in order.”

“My doctors are already working on it,” said Discidium. “But with your experience in such matters, they should be able to finish much faster.”

“I’ll do all I can, your Majesty,” replied Indicina, bowing her head.

The emperor started walking down the path. “I have no doubt you will. Now, will you accompany us, darlings?”

***

The inner palace turned much larger than Indicina had thought. With Discidium intent on making at least a comment about each statue they passed, the tour took over an hour. Somewhere half way through it Pulchra and Bona excused themselves, trotting gracefully away towards whatever activities they found more interesting.

Indicina struggled to keep smiling. Keeping up appearances wasn’t a difficult thing, not with her upbringing. But the more she walked, the more tired she was, the missing hours of sleep suddenly catching up with her. She nodded and smiled again, hoping the emperor would not notice she no longer registered what he was saying.

It was then that her ear caught a sound that made her wake up at once, a clang of metal against metal.

She turned towards the emperor in alarm, but Discidium didn’t seem concerned. Indeed, he seemed to be leading his guest right towards the source of the noise. Noticing his indifference, Indicina calmed down herself.

The source of the noise was just past another tall hedge. There, secluded away from the more used paths, there was a small opening, with a protection circle erected within. Inside it, two ponies dressed in brown training uniforms practiced with swords. One was a lean, curly-maned, tan unicorn with a small moustache and a beard. The other was a white alicorn colt. Indicina remembered seeing him before. As she observed, she slowly relaxed. This was no real violence, but more like a dance, despite the very real blades and combat techniques displayed.

The youngster was so focused on his task, controlling two swords to keep his teacher’s four blades at bay, that he didn’t even notice the pair approaching the circle.

The teacher was more perceptive. As the emperor stood at the edge of the circle, the unicorn withdrew his blades into a neutral stance and bowed his head. The colt returned the gesture before noticing the visitors and beaming. He put the blades away and turned towards Discidium.

“Two blades already?” said the emperor with a smile. “You’re making quick progress, I see.”

“Just so,” said the teacher from behind the colt. “Still, there is a long road yet ahead of him.”

“I’m doing my best, father,” said the alicorn, blushing a bit.

“Indicina,” said the emperor, “let me introduce you. This is Concilio, Pulchra’s son and my youngest child. Concilio, this is Indicina. She will be living in the palace for the next couple of weeks.”

The colt bowed his head. “Tis a pleasure to meet you, miss.”

“The pleasure is mutual”, replied Indicina, bowing her head in response, a smile on her face.

Suddenly Concilio’s eyes flashed with recognition. “Indicina? You are that scientist who made the Elements of Harmony! I saw father award you the ruby star.”

Indicina blushed. “Yes, I am. And I saw you during that… duel,” she said, the last word barely audible. She could almost feel the atmosphere becoming colder.

Concilio was the first to react, a smile on his face. “I look forward to spending time with you, miss. I’m sure, I can learn a lot about magic just talking with somepony of your experience.” The words rolled off his tongue as if practiced in advance, polite formulas rehearsed by a court child, and yet Indicina had a feeling Concilio really meant what he was saying.

Is it the way he talks? Or the way he smiles? He’s a cute kid.

Discidium chuckled. “You will have the time to enjoy your company later I’m sure. But now, that my son is working so hard on his skills, it would be rude to disrupt his training.” He nodded towards the teacher, who resumed a fighting stance, the four blades rising around him. The boy bowed to his father and Indicina before returning to the spar.

Discidium and Indicina started walking toward the palace building.

“I’m very proud of him,” said Discidium. He smiled, but Indicina, now more awake, noticed the corner of his mouth twitch a little.

“Your Majesty,” she said, looking at the emperor. “should you be walking so much with your injury? I’m surely not worth causing yourself pain on my behalf.”

Discidium closed his eyes, and the topaz on his chest flashed again. When he opened his eyes again, he stared straight at Indicina, almost a glare. “Nonsense. I’m tougher than that. I’m a warrior. I’ve always been. Even before I was born, the auguries foretold that my rule would be the age of strife. And so I spent all my youth preparing, making sure I would be strong enough, tough enough. That I would be the ruler the Empire needed for the inevitable war. To be too weak to take a walk with an honored guest, would be to spit upon my own image.”

Indicina stared, not sure what to say, whether to apologize, or to insist on the stallion taking a rest. Before she could decide on a course of action, Discidium spoke again.

“It won’t be like that for Concilio.”

The emperor’s face relaxed. “He’s putting great effort into his fencing lessons, and I’m proud of his progress, but with any luck, he will never need to make a use of it. Learning to fight is taking only a fraction of his time now. Most of his lessons are on the rules of trade, on diplomacy, persuasion and effective governing.

By the time he is big enough to fight, the great war will have ended. The conquered nations will all acknowledge the mandate of the Holy Herd, by which we’re destined to rule. When Concilio leaves the palace and joins his brothers and sisters, it will be as a diplomat and an administrator, his task to heal the wounds of the war and turn the new territories into a peaceful and prosperous land. In a way, he is lucky to be the youngest of my children.”

The emperor stopped and looked at Indicina again.

“And it is all thanks to you. You are the one who completed your father’s research and gave us the weapon we needed to decide this war once and for all. All the future generations, everypony living under the light of Celestia and Luna, will remember your name.

You have every reason to be proud of yourself. Never sell yourself short.”

***

music link

“No, don’t go!”

Indicina’s throat was sore from screaming. Obsidian kept walking, in oblivious daze, away into the darkness, the abyss stretching open to swallow him whole. Indicina made the last effort, struggling to her hooves.

“No! You will die!” she screamed at the top of her lungs, her voice breaking and barely recognisable, ready to disappear into incoherent bawling.

The stallion stopped for a moment, then slowly turned his head. Indicina was horrified to see his face bearing a calm, serene smile.

“This isn’t death, can’t you see? I have to do this, so everypony can live.”

The boundless void behind him stirred. Suddenly it was full of stars.

***

Indicina’s eyes snapped open. She was lying on the side, tangled in the bedsheets, her body covered with sweat. She remained there for a moment, gasping for breath.

He’s dead, Obsidian is dead, he died… no he isn’t. He isn't going to battle until tomorrow. It was a bad dream. Another bad dream.

She rose shakily, untangling her limbs and finally sitting up. the moon was shining through the open window, outlining the room in pale silver. On the far wall Indicina could see her reflection in a mirror - her face sweaty, her mane in a mess she didn’t have the drive to properly style for days, bags under her eyes clearly marking her as one who had gotten far too little sleep in the past weeks.

I should use the flower to look for him, just in case, see if he’s alright, she thought. I promised him not to do it alone but-

Indicina shook her head rapidly. She still wasn’t thinking clearly.

The flower isn’t here. I left it in the tower. Obsidian might use it to look at me.

Taking a deep breath, the unicorn got off the bed and approached the mirror.

It’s been weeks since the Splice. How could one battle have shaken me so? How can Obsidian live like this? I’ll drive myself crazy if I don’t get it under control.

For a moment her mind drifted, images flashing before her eyes; the approach to Nevercrest, the battle on the mountain slope, Obsidian and his companions breaking into the sanctuary, only to find it full of enemies, ponies dying mid-scream, devoured by the fierce cold of the windigo that the enemy commander unleashed in a desperate gambit. Finally the ritual itself, the wards around her turning white hot as she struggled to keep the enormous power stable, Obsidian diving forward to push her out of the way of power that threatened to consume her.

Indicina shook her head. We survived. The Splice was a success. That’s all that matters. The rest is just a memory.

She kept standing there, one hoof on the mirror, looking at her reflection. For a moment, she looked around for a comb, but then dismissed the idea.

It’s the middle of the night. No point doing my mane now.

Her horn glowed faintly and the illusion was reasserted, all the flaws hidden, replaced by a mask of cool perfection. Indicina took her hoof off the mirror and walked towards the door, leaving her horn active to light her way.

I just need a little walk to clear my head.