• Published 2nd Feb 2015
  • 18,586 Views, 1,952 Comments

A Journey Beyond Sanity - Darkwing Dust



Somehow transported from our world to Equestria, a young man unwillingly arrives in the form of an Earth Pony. Join us as we explore Stardust Balance's adventures, aiding the Mane Six throughout the seasons, discovering friendship... And love.

  • ...
 1,952
 18,586

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 104: I Wanna Be Like You!

Say, remember when you used to be more independent over yourself, when you dismissed others perspectives over your behaviour in favour of refusal to be their friends?

Yeah...?

When you were far more focused on your own objectives than simply doing whatever your friends demanded of you?

I mean, I did it so long as they asked than demanded, but sure.

Do you ever miss those days?

...Not really.

"Come along! Come along Stardust! We musn't be behind schedule any longer!" With an exhausted but amused grin, I continued hauling the cargo as my friend requested of me, following after the merrily humming unicorn down the path through the rather bright forest.

Easy for you to say, Rarity. You're not the one pulling a massive wagon filled with clothes with 'careful tugging' as you so eloquently put it.

See what I mean Jack? Ever reminisce of the days where you took no [BEEP] from any of this world's inhabitants, where you were content with achieving your own goals than become so soft-hearted as to easily bow to their whims currently?

As opposed to being a massive [BEEP] like back then? My eyes cast on the strolling Rarity, muzzle tugging into a small smile. Yeah, I'm fine being this mare's personal clothes-carrier if it meant keeping a friend happy now.

What was todays occurrence, you ask? Ah nothing more than a simple delivery to a rather prestigious town hidden within some tropical forest. But in Rarity's case, 'simple' of course meant 'a mountain pile of tucked, tidied freshly-designed clothing made specifically for the prideful townsfolk.' Name of the town you ask? Trottop, or something like that. According to Rarity, the citizens of this peaceful location were considered very old-fashioned, and requested the mare's unique fashion artful skills to design new clothing for a formal event they intend on holding sometime by the end of the week.

But, with clothing made specifically for each and every pony attending the event - which may as well have been the entire populace of the townsfolk - Rarity requested help in delivering the large package to the far-off town. Applejack was busy, so I was called to do the task of pulling the fancy wagon instead, again, with 'careful tugging;' in case something were to slip out from the piled minty-packaged clothing.

Either this of spend the entire day with a whole Star Wars marathon with Spike, Rainbow and Pinkie... Oh what could've I picked? Twilight, bless her, made the decision for me.

Oh come now, I say this is a healthy task for you. Starswirl spoke up in clear approval. The further you venture throughout Equestria, the more acquainted you can be with its various inhabitants and cultures. As the Protector of Balance, it is your duty to keep the peace of all living things, be they light or dark, and what better means to accomplish as such by learning more about them face-to-face?

I could just research them, like Twilight would.

A personal experience would grant further knowledge than recorded facts or history, my friend. Ooh, don't tell Twilight you said that. Where else does one garner the knowledge used to write in these books? There are many things in the universe literature alone shan't suffice, secrets and untold facts which would take even Princess Celestia by surprise. By learning more through real encounters, you are granted with wisdom and a sensation which even a simple book wouldn't gift, though that doesn't make them any less useful, especially for beforehand preparation.

Don't think I didn't catch that tone in your last sentence, Starswirl. There was little time for me to brush up my knowledge on this town beforehand-

"Why, I do believe we have reached our destination."

Waiting for me to join her, I managed to reach Rarity's side as she motioned down the slope towards the nearby town, blending rather well with the forest it surrounds itself by save for the smoke from chimneys rising, a clear indicator as to how we tracked them down in this huge tree-filled area.

The mare breathed in deeply, sighing in approving content. "Ahh! The scent of prosperity! Trottop is well-regarded for its rather traditional lifestyle and endurance through these rather daunting woods, though I believe I informed you of all this already."

"You have Rarity. Several times in fact on the trip here."

Whether she caught the amused exasperation, she didn't acknowledge it, nodding with a soft smile. "How I longed to have fulfilled an order on their behalf. For a formal event, no less! This old-fashioned town was founded centuries before Canterlot, you may be well aware of." Only because an enthusiastic Twilight mentioned that during your explanation as to where we were going. "I simply cannot wait to show them my effort pay off, once they explore and appreciate my personal handiwork."

With a smile, I asked coyly, "Then what are we waiting for?"

"Quite right darling, quite right." With a sharp tug, Rarity continued strolling down the slope with a rather impatient tone to her yet barely-concealed excited voice. "We mustn't dwardle any further. Come along Stardust! And remember, carefully tug those rather fragile clothes on that wagon."

"Whatever you say!" Rolling in my eyes in good nature, I followed after the mare, gently walking down whilst pulling the wagon when descending this slope.

You see what I mean? Allowing yourself to play servant for these expectant mares?

Ah go back to playing Minecraft in my head.


Well, I can certainly see what she meant by old-fashioned. The architecture of the building with made from good ol' fashioned stone bricks. You know, the classic colours of grey or light brown, save for the coloured spots which indicated they were stores or the Town Hall.

The prestigious side, however, was a different story. Even Rarity has paused mid-excitement once we witnessed the rather... Messy state of the town. Baskets upturned, wagons flipped over or destroyed. Hell, the entire town looked ransacked, not a pony in sight. Except for, of course, the ponies immediately shutting the curtains behind their houses or shops as we passed in concern.

"Are you... Sure this is a posh location?"

"Without negativity." But even Rarity began sounding uncertain, clearly upset by the unexpected state we found Trottop to be. As we walked across the town, the white unicorn rubbing beneath her muzzle in worry, glancing around before pointing out in slight relief. "Ah! There's the store we were to deliver this order to!"

A rather rounded stone building with an azure-shaded roof and a sign on the window beside the door titled 'Sew N' Hoof.' Charming. Upon approaching, I finally unclipped the belt pulling along the wagon from myself as we neared the front door, noting that even this store wasn't seemingly spared from whatever state befell the town, if the cracked window and glass door had us believe.

This... Does not seem to be good at all...

No [BEEP]?

Reach out through Balance, Jack. What do you feel?

As requested, I briefly closed my eyes, extending my senses throughout the vicinity in hopes of gaining a clue as to what was happening before us. And the feedback prompted me to state these emotions outloud, "Worry... Anxiety... Fear... Apprehension."

Now I was just concerned for the townsfolk. With an exchanged worried glance between myself and Rarity, I opened the cracked door, carefully, for the mare to step through first, following after into...

A rather clean store.

Seriously, nothing seemed out of place in this fashion shop. Everything was stacked and neatly placed, not a trace of thievery in sight as we entered the store. Rarity exhaled in full relief. "Well, it could've been worse." She sent a side-glance at my snort; oh sure, glad the safety of clothes means more to you than the well-being of these townsfolk, Rarity.

I'm certain that's not what she insinuated.

I know, I was just messing around.

"Hello?" I called out then, approaching the counter alongside the curious fashioner. "Is anyone home? We're here from Ponyville!"

"We have come delivering what the town asked for their formal event this weekend!" Rarity added helpfully.

Which seemed to have the full effect.

Although I was becoming better with adapting to these new abilities, I'd still had yet to master the many techniques, which included sensing others. As such, forgive me when I immediately pulled a surprised Rarity back and extended a limb protectively in front of her as the sudden head popped out from behind the counter, taken aback myself. A blue unicorn stallion revealed himself from his hiding spot and inquiring rather softly.

"You're from Ponyville...?"

Rarity and I shared cautious glances. "Yes...?" The mare answered back uncertainly.

Fear and stress was pouring off this pony like a fountain, but the confirmation sent somewhat relief into him. "Oh, thank goodness." The stallion wiped off his forehead. "I thought... Never mind." No, please, continues. I'm actually interested as to what was going on here, exactly. He peeked his head over us with a curious expression.

Rarity frowned. "Is everything alright darling? You seem awfully tense about something-"

"Are the deliveries outside?" We nodded. "Then we better get them inside soon. Wouldn't want them to be taken, after all?"

"Taken?" But the stallion ignored my question, walking around the counter to head to the door.

"Evening is coming soon. We'll have to work fast."

But Rarity, however, wasn't too keen on rushing anything which involves her work. "Now just a second!" A hoof halted the tense stallion, prompting her inquisitive gaze. "What precisely do you mean by 'taken?' And what in the name of Celestia happened around this town? I was led to believe Trottop was regarded for its clean, prestigious atmosphere and condition throughout the town. Instead, my friend here and I were greeted to what was essentially a messy ghost town! This is Trottop, is it not?"

The owner of this store nodded, licking his lips nervously. "That's right... Miss Rarity, correct?" The mare nodded, expression slight satisfaction at the acknowledgement. "I apologize, but we requested your fashion skills at the wrong time... We've been dealing with an existential crisis recently that, I regret to say, may very well cancel our Trottop Dance Celebritorial."

A crisis?

Dance Celebritorial?

Rarity outright gasped at the news. "But... But I worked so hard on perfecting these styles for your town's event."

Knowing how much seeing her work pay off meant to Rarity, I placed a comforting hoof on the downcast unicorn before addressing the stallion with my own frown. "You mentioned a crisis. What sort of crisis? We may be able to help."

The owner sighed, setting his own green gaze to the floor. "Right now, we only know little. But for a while now, almost every night, a giant monster emerges from the forest when we least expect it, and steals from the townsfolk without any remorse for it." A giant monster that steals? At my skeptic look, the stallion was prompted to continue by our nods. "Nothing like food or water, though, that's the curious thing. Every morning we wake up to find items or anything like that stolen, windows smashed and objects obstructed. But never food or drinks taken by this massive beast."

"What kind of things does this supposed creature take?" Rarity asked, sounding both curious and worried whilst flicking a glance to the door. It didn't take a genius to know what she was concerned about.

"Things like wagons... House appliances... Clothes... Anything it can break into with ease and get away with. Not even barricading the doors and windows do anything to stop it. Anyone whose seen the monster at night reports it to be taller than even any of the town's houses."

And that was all Rarity needed to hear, gasping downright. "That is simply appalling! An outrage! To hear your town face such a thing before your yearly event in simply barbaric!" Trust Rarity to be on the warpath where clothing is concerned. "I will not stand for this!"

The swift turn to the door prompted my frown. "Where are you going?" I inquired after her. What was my fashion friend planning now?

"That creature believes it can come tonight and attempt to steal my hard effort? I find that hardly likely to happen!" The resolved mare glanced over her shoulder with a steel expression. "Help our poor friend here unload the deliveries into the store Stardust, I'm going to make certain the celebritorial happens whether anypony likes it or not!" Without even awaiting my word on the matter, Rarity swiftly opened the door and slammed it behind her.

...Alright then.

That went well.

Yep.

"Is she always like this?" The stallion turned to me in question.

"Eh, only where her own hard work is concerned." Emphasized by our cringes at the glass door falling apart seconds after.


By the time I was done helping out the store owner, finding Rarity wasn't all too difficult. Oh not by sensing her, no no, but by the shrill voice of outrage and protests she was making to an important-looking pony outside a large building which was, presumably, the Town Hall. The white unicorn conversed with a taller thin green pegasus with a blonde short mane, white collar with brown tie and round glasses.

Approaching permitted me to hear the latter speak apologetically, "It is out of my hoofs, Miss Rarity. I must consider the safety of Trottop's citizens first before even considering allowing the celebritorial to continue. You must understand."

Slightly deterred, Rarity desperately tried still to appeal to the stallion, who I assumed was the mayor of this small town. "With all due respect mayor, surely with this creature only attacking at night, the event can still be held in daytime instead?"

The stallion shook his head adamantly. "I just can't take that chance. The townsfolk are simply too shaken to have their spirits lifted up like that. If we lower our guard, that monster may strike when we least expect it."

"I understand, but surely-?"

"Now, you must excuse me. I have to oversee a few things." Leaving Rarity with an open mouth, the mayor stiffly turned and walked off, clearly eager not to resume this conversation. And that gave me the opportunity to join the mare, who, without turning, spoke up after shaking her head in disbelief.

"This is tragic, Stardust." A mix of anger and sadness leaking from her tone. "Not only are these poor ponies scared out of their wits by this monster, but no one will be able to participate in Trottop's Dance Celebritorial! Who will have the honour of displaying my one-of-a-kind outfits to the townsfolk then?!" Because that's the real tragedy here. Rarity sighed, and yet before I could console the mare, something snapped the unicorn out of it, perking her up and looking at me so abruptly I was admittedly startled. "Stardust, you must've known about all this, didn't you? Why else would Twilight have eagerly recommended you to accompany me here?"

Funnily enough, I doubt it was for that reason. "Rarity, I never knew about this whole event."

"But you must have! Clearly it was one of those 'episodes,' yes? You knew about these circumstances from the start, and you've come to help in ridding the poor town of this supposed creature that stalks them in the night and proceed with the celebritorial, hence why you are here. Why else would that be the case?"

Amusing theory. Unfortunately, I had to shatter Rarity's satisfactory conclusion with reality. "Rarity... I never even heard of Trottop or this monster before I arrived here with you. This was never presented in the show before, that's the thing. I don't know what's going to happen, or how best to stop it... Yet." And that's the curious thing; this all seems episode-material. If this was indeed canon, it's interesting it was never mentioned or referenced once in the show.

Not every incident your friends face will be shown to the eyes of your people, my friend.

Oh... That'd explain it.

The fashionista, meanwhile, was wholeheartedly dismayed by the new, pony ears drooping downwards, half-closed eyes glittering in disappointment. "I see... Well then, we must simply try a different tactic then." Refusing to yield just yet, Rarity met my eyes again, deep blue sharpened in resolve, voice of pure conviction. "We shall have to hunt down the creature which plagues Trottop ourselves."

What?

"And by us, I clearly mean you."

Oh.

"After all, one of us would have to stay behind and keep an eye on things. And you are more suited to battling monsters than I am, as we both know."

"Glad my well being has been thought of before making this plan."

Rarity waved dismissively at my dry response. "I'm positive you'll be fine, darling. After all, you have laughed at danger in the face many times before, and lived, no? I'm certain you can deal with this thing before the day is done... Which doesn't seem to be too long, now." Rarity noted the shades of yellow breaking through the sky above. "We best begin sooner now than later."

I might have a better suggestion.

You, Sombra? If it involves something akin to killing the beast, I'd rather not hear it, thank you.

How low you think of me. Was the dry response, before proceeding. Night is steadily upon us. Perhaps, than seek out the creature through the large forest and got ourselves foolishly lost, we wait for this 'monster' to come to us and deal with it then.

So just wait here and allow the creature to attack the town, then strike? That... Might actually work, in all honesty, although there's the safety of the citizens to consider about this.

Sombra snorted in trepidation. And since when does anyone within this world get injured to the point of severeness, boy? Would you rather explore through the woods now and leave this town at risk much more?

...That is a point.

"Alright Rarity, I have a better plan."

You have a better plan?

Hey if I told her it was your idea, how do you think she'll react?

The answer to that point was the fallen King's low grumbling.


Honestly, I'm not entirely too comfortable feeling this vulnerable.

You agreed with this plan. Now be quiet and await the prey.

Or predator... With my caped back exposed like this, body in a meditative stance with closed eyes, sitting right in the center of the still town, the only sounds occupying the atmosphere right now was the chirping crickets and hooting of owls in the night. I practically felt like I was inviting the monster to come dine on me.

That is the point. Sombra was beginning to sound terribly impatient. Now focus. Use that power of yours to root out the creature and take it by surprise before it surprises you.

I'm doing so... But right now, all I felt was light and uncertainty pouring from the hearts of the resting or wide awake citizens. Not a trace of malicious intent anywhere... At least, as far as I can sense at this range.

The Sew N' Hoof's owner was very descriptive about the monster itself, back when I was helping him deliver the orders indoors, only vague things like a large shadow coated in the night, but apparently it was seen this beast was also very, very hairy. Looking around for clues myself earlier, I managed to find there were, indeed, traces of hair around the damaged parts of the town. Orange hair, if the light of the setting sun indicated. Starswirl refused to provide any further info, knowing full well what was going on, yet only answering my questions/demands with basically "You must find out for yourself."

Celestia's mentor, all right...

Concentrate.

I am!

Gritting my teeth at Sombra's unhelpful persistence, I reached deeper into Balance, which was reacting quite negatively to my irritation. Sighing, I resolved to calm myself, setting my emotions both good and bad to being scaled enough for the power to work in my favour.

But again, no sense of darkness anywhere in the town. Okay, the townsfolk had traces of Chaos in their hearts - who didn't? - but nothing too substantial. Everything felt the same, and the much stronger presence of light, my bond with Rarity helping, detected the mare was still sound asleep inside the store itself. I insisted she slept in a hotel which she would be considerably safer, but the mare was firm; if the monster was targeting clothes among other things, she wanted to keep her 'babies' protected from anything that would try to do them harm.

Sometimes I think my stubbornness might be rubbing off on them...

That needn't necessarily be a bad thing, you know.

Yeah yeah... Wonder how the Crusaders were doing, by this point. If memory serves, occurring right now were the three fillies helping the only horse in Equestria find his place in Appleloosa. How did I know this? Applejack mentioned the day before how she, Apple Bloom and her friends were departing to that western town for a anniversary rodeo. That episode confirmed two things for me.

One, that ponies can still make childish assumptions and can make the Crusaders still look more mature by comparison.

And two, horses actually exist in this world-

Wait... Think I'm getting something.

At last!

No shut up... I frowned harder, concentrating through the Force- I mean Balance. There was something... Not entirely light, but little darkness too. Grey, I'd say... And coming somewhere from the west-

"AHHHHHHHH!"

That confirmed the location. Jesus, I think even the others back at Ponvyille could hear Rarity's high-pitched scream like that. Standing up, I glared in the direction, sensing the distress and panic through the bond and hurrying towards the location. Dammit! I told Rarity to sleep somewhere other than an assumed prime target of the creature's!

And I was clearly right! For arriving before the store, I was greeted by the large, dark shadow crouching above the store itself, its outstretched black arm reaching into one of the upper floor windows while keeping itself maintained. Not even the stars or moon above help illuminated the bulky creature from what I could make out, only brief glimpses or orange fur from the limbs and sides.

"SOMEPONY! HELP!"

That was all the incentive I needed.

The concern of my friend coming first, I rushed forward, Balance ready and able to help me stop this creature before it goes too far. However, upon leaping upwards, the shadowed monster immediately ducked from my assault, forcing me to fly over it towards the building beside the clothing store. Undeterred, my hooves firmly landed on the grey wall.

And leaped again from it.

This time, though, instead of ducking or attempting to counter, the creature was surprisingly mobile, swiftly leaning back which caused me to, again, fly around onto the roof of the other building. Digging my hoofs into the ground, I immediately turned to glare upwards at the rather fast creature. For something so ginormous and clearly burly, it knew how to move. From the darkness, however, I saw two round eyes regarding me in mild irritation too.

And from the hand retreating out of the building, I saw the screaming hostage it held.

"Rarity!"

"Stardust!" The mare screamed in response, struggling in the grasp on this creature. "It tried to steal my hard work! But never mind that, help me!"

Will do!

"Let me go you overgrown brute!" Thankfully, Rarity just provided me the best advantage. With the monster momentarily distracted by its vocal hostage, I leaped upwards again, this time ascending above my foe's height before hurtling downs, spinning my body around in preparation. But, catching me from the corner of its eye, there was an attempt of retaliation. But judging from the roar of pain, the blocking with its free hand didn't work entirely in its favour.

Yet its startling screech did nothing to benefit me either, at all, as retaliation came swiftly by the punch aimed in my stomach as I back flipped, assisted with Rarity's weight, sent me flying back so fast my fedora flew off midway.

Argh!

And painfully crashing into another stone wall, before prompting falling downwards into a convenient stacked boxes of fresh tomatoes, greeted by ponies screaming left and right as they ran past me, having come outside upon hearing the commotion.

But none in comparison to Rarity's own vocal noises, which was beginning to fade along with her presence. The monster was fleeing with its hostage! Swiftly pushing myself out of the destroyed boxes, ignoring the smell - which would take days to get off my cape - I attempted to push by the citizens without potentially hurting them with my recent strength.

Yet, it seems, I had underestimated the monster's own brute force. And that cost me my friend being captured and taken away.

For she and the creature were out of sensory range by the time I reached the store again, escaped back into the forest.

"God dammit!" I snarled, emphasizing my justified frustration and worry with slamming my hoof into the ground, inciting a slight tremor which only provoked the citizens into running around in panic faster. But they weren't important right now, upon sensing no real pain from anyone in the vicinity.

Rarity has been taken. And I was going to get her back.


"It seems there have been no casualties thus far... Save for the foalnapping of your friend, I'm afraid."

"So no one's hurt?"

The stallion shook his head. "Thankfully, no. The beast only appeared to have targeted the Sew N' Hoof last night. Although I am grateful less of the town was damaged than typically, I ponder the reason why it only attacked one store." Yeah well, I knew exactly why. But I hardly felt compulsed to inform the rather useless mayor.

But, at the very least, no one else got hurt last night.

"Thank you, Mayor, I'll leave you to your business." That said, I swiftly turned to depart, intending to track this creature down my own way.

"Wait!" Hm? The pegasus called out, inciting my pause and glance over to him. "I am truly sorry for what fate has befallen your friend. If there is anything I can do-"

"Oh you made it how clear how useful you can be to Rarity last night, didn't you?" I couldn't help but snap, prompting the mayor to gaze at the ground in guilt. Realizing my words, I sighed forcibly and spoke apologetically, "Sorry, just stressed about my friend."

He nodded. "I understand. If there is anything, please, let me know."

Thank you, but no thank you. Nodding myself, I continued onwards, determined to get this all over with ASAP. That beast isn't keeping my friend for very long.

I trust you have a plan?

Yeah... Well, no, but I'll think of one as we go.

Improvisation? Typical of you.

Well, what else can I do? My senses through Balance is limited, for crying out loud! I can barely extend that range beyond edges of the town itself, how am I suppose to track down Rarity when that beast left nothing to track it with? I checked; no massive footprints, no kind of trail for me to follow. Either what we were facing can either fly, or was extremely intelligent not to leave tracks to pursue it.

And why would it capture Rarity, of all ponies?

I suspect that to be an accident at best, Jack. Starswirl said calmly. It sought for the clothing of that store, but instead caught a pony who was desperate to defend her passion. You need not blame yourself for what happened.

I scoffed loudly, ignoring the startled gazes of passerbys for doing so. Too late for that. Last night I underestimated that creature... It won't happen again.

But the point was, what could I possibly do? I couldn't sense much when inside the town, and beyond lies the massive easy-to-get-lost-in forest. It would take ages to track down my friend without any lead to go on.

You underestimate your own abilities, my friend.

How so...?

True, you are not yet capable of expanding your senses through the power of Balance to detect the presence of all living things in the forest. My mentor affirmed. Your friend, however, is another story entirely.

I paused, looking up in confused wonder... Are you insinuating I can still sense my friend somehow despite no doubt being too far away from me for it to be possible?

This time, it was Sombra who replied first, sounding rather irritated, Have you forgotten everything about your abilities so far, boy? Do you not recall the strengthened bonds between yourself and those close to you?

And the stronger the bond, the more easier it will be to find Miss Rarity.

...How?

First, close your eyes, and simply concentrate. Hesitantly doing as instructed, I focused hard. Relax your features, Jack, you must release the tension flowing through your concern for your friend. Slowly, I obliged, more than eager to listen so long as I could find Rarity safe and sound. Currently, you can sense close inhabitants of Trottop, and yet, if you concentrate hard enough, you might sense something... Different.

Different? I... Wait.

Wait... There was something... Something just right on the edge of my 'radar,' as it were... Something peculiarly bright.

And awfully familiar.

"Rarity!"

Ignoring the surprised jumps of citizens at my exclamation, I immediately stood up, closing my eyes again to get a good fix on the mare. Yes, I could feel her, somewhere in the forest in the direction to my west. You were right, Starswirl, I can sense her, even all the way from here! I never doubted your wisdom for a minute.

Sombra scoffed, whereas my teacher sounded positively amused. I'm pleased to hear it. Perhaps then, you should let your friend know you are coming?

Huh?

He refers to your display back at that repulsive high school with the human Rainbow Dash.

...Oh! Right, I can do that!

...How do I do that?

Concentrate on the bond, the thread of light which ties you together, and will your words into it.

You make it sound so easy... Alright then, let's try it. Clearing my throat, clenched my features in intense focus, intending to accomplish what my teacher suggested, imagining the words as I kept a firm grip on the bond.

"Rarity! Rarity!"

...Did that work?

Try again... Or don't I could hardly care less.

"Rarity!"

You honestly believe she is capable of answering back-?

"Stardust?"

...You were saying?

"Rarity, can you hear me?"

The sound was both confused and flustered, but I recognized that high-class feminine tone anywhere. "Stardust, is that really you speaking inside my head?"

"The one and only!"

"But how-?"

"Balance. But never mind that, are you alright? Are you hurt?"

"No... No I'm quite alright. A little bruised from being carried all the way into this rather dampened cave, but nothing too severe, thankfully."

Oh thank God. Nodding outwardly, I spoke through the bond in conviction, "Keep tight then, I'm on my way."

"Wait, Stardust. This creature, it's not what you-"

Not what I... What? "Rarity? Rarity!"

No response... Damn!

I better hurry. Without delay, I rushed passed many more stunned ponies who were regarding the bizarre visitor openly before disappearing into the woods, pushing past bushes and branches of all shapes and sizes, using the bond Rarity and I shared to track her precise location. I'll worry more about how I can telepathically communicate with others later, right now, my friend needed my help.


As it turned out, navigating through the forest wasn't entirely difficult as previously presumed. In contrast to the Everfree Forest, these woods were far more open, and far less hostile. It wasn't too hard locating the large cavern with the cave Rarity mentioned in our last telepathic conversation; the large rock-structure standing out atop a small hill within the otherwise flat forest. Without even the smallest hesitation, I ventured through the cave and into seeming darkness.

Well, not dark for long. The daylight pouring into the damp place was quickly replaced by hung torches from the walls, torches I would assume were stolen from the town the dweller of this cave no doubt was responsible for. Lingering within the entrance for a moment, I decided it was probably best to attempt another communication.

"Rarity?"

...No answer. Sighing in both annoyance and worry, I continued onwards. Silence was never a good response to circumstances like these. I better find her, and quick. Proceeding forward, down what seemed like a rocky staircase deeper into the cavern, my efforts to 'speak' with her continued anyway.

"Rarity? Rarity!"

Again, nothing. Did she really have to worry me so-?

"Stardust?" Came the reply I was hoping for me, causing me to pause mid-step. "Are you here? Thank goodness, I require assistance with- Oh don't pressure me, you overgrown ape!"

Ape? Needing no further incentive, my pace deeper into the cave quickened. If that monster has laid a single hair on Rarity's fur, there will be Hell to pay. It didn't take too long, the torches making it clear exactly how lengthy these stairs into the creature's lair really was, and I eventually, finally, arrived into the proper home of this creature's.

Which looked like an abandoned antique treasure room. Objects. Objects everywhere. Of all shapes and sizes; boxes, carts, paintings, house appliances like fire stoves, tables, beds and chairs, you name it. All scattered throughout this wide area in disorder, the only clear path forward. It didn't take a genius to deduce these were all the stolen property of the townsfolk. Well, at least now we knew where it all went.

Just piled all here and completely forgotten about. Poor things. But currently, my focus was more centered on the well being of my friend. Sensing her bright presence just across the room, I proceeded onwards. After I rescue the mare, we can return all these things back to their respective owners. Just why was the creature taking all this stuff, anyway? How would it benefit him/her in any way-?

Oh Balance how I love you; enabling me to leap backwards out of harm's way thanks to its warning. Dust and a tremor followed after my retreating my body, digging my hooves into the ground whilst glaring up at the opposition which tried to squash me just then, greeted by this cave's one and only resident. This time, unlike last night, the light from the torches around the room presented a clear image of what exactly I was facing, the ape-like creature leaning down to what appeared to be a giant orangutan-

...Was that a Gigantopithecus?

Holy [BEEP], it's a Gigantopithecus!

From that recent Jungle Book movie...?

Yeah - great movie, by the way. The giant of an ape leered down at me with two pure black eyes and tiny white irises, features also black though surrounded by orange unkempt fur, decorating from head to legs. The hands, stomach and feet were a more greyish-colour, reminded all too much further of Christopher Walken's character from the latest new take on the classic book. And here I thought this type of the monkey family was extinct!

Apparently not. Not in Equestria, anyway. Sombra mused, before snapping. We should resume in our endeavor to save your captive friend, boy.

Ah, right. Yes, sorry, back to business. Mentally clearing my throat, I continued glaring upwards at the ape which was kind enough to wait for me to gaze at it in awe and wonder. "You have someone I'd like back. If you would kindly-?"

Whoa!

A quick roll out of the way, dodging the fist slamming into where I previously stood before recomposing myself. That was close. The dodge however seemed to aggravate the Gigantopithecus even further. I suppose I couldn't really blame it; first I trespass its home, then I begin making demands in its own home-

I was more prepared for its next assault, my raised limb blocking the next swung strike. Firmly locking it in place, I smirked slightly whereas the creature snarled in irritation, attempting another strike with its free arm. Gotcha! Using the fist I kept preoccupied, I grabbed one large finger with my other hoof and swung myself upwards, hurling myself onto the arm and eventually the back of the annoyed giant orangutan, kicking myself off the beast before whirling around, midair, and retaliating with my own good ol' fashioned signature move: The Balance Shockwave.

Although the Gigantopithecus saw it coming, swiftly leaping with shocking speed out of the way, the blast leaving a slight crater where it previously stood. Right, it was ridiculously quick... Although that explains it alot, being a member of the ape family. Gripping onto the wall far off, my opponent growled before releasing a mighty roar, which almost knocking me off-balance.

And almost ruptured my eardrums... Again. Alright, strategies, go.

Brute force won't best your foe alone. His mobility and agility allows for swift deflection and counterattacks.

Agreed. So how best to counter that? I tensed in preparation as the creature began rearing back slowly to leap once again, setting my fedora on a convenient hat stand close by.

You cannot allow to exert your own abilities whilst combating this foe. For now, relying on the defensive - as it pains me to say - would be the superior option in this battle. Wear the creature out, then strike.

Tire it out. Got it-

Ugh!

Not even sidestepping helped; my opponent allowed no room for countermeasures, swiftly backhanding me once I dodged this next slam, landing my flung body into a set of buckets. Again, how convenient to cushion my fall to an extent. Roaring in triumph, the Gigantopithecus reached to slam both fists onto my state. Not this time! My body back-flipped from the mess, destroyed splintered wood flying everywhere, landing myself onto the wall briefly.

And dodging again whereas another fist landed into the wall.

"Sorry King Louie." I taunted, proceeding to block and doge the numerous uncoordinated assaults, although which was pushing me on the defensive for now. "But I don't think Rarity can help you uncover the secrets to man's red fire. She's no mancub."

Save the petty references until after the battle is won. Your speed and agility matches that of your opponent thanks to Balance, now-

Now... What? I blocked and kicked away another large hand, leaping back from another punch followed by raising both front limbs to block an outstretched kick measured by powerful strength, forcing my hind hoofs to scrap across the ground.

Now what, Sombra?

...Marecub.

...Yes.

I have got to watch Jungle Book again once this was all over. Spike would love it-

Ah! My opening! Wasting no time, sidestepping another reaching fist, I grabbed the tall fur of its arm and pushed forward, spinning around rapidly and attempting my own retaliation; a swift but effective kick right into the ape's stomach. And that, fortunately, had the intended effect. Stunned by my own strength matching its own, the Gigantopithecus released a roar of pain and surprise, but I wasn't about to let up just yet; a few punches here in the same bodily spot, and followed by a three-hundred and sixty turn whilst charging my power. The Balance Shockwave sent the beast hurtling back, objects small and large flying everywhere as the creature smashed through them.

Someone, however, had to be a spoilsport about my achievement. What part of 'wear it down first, then attack' was plain incomprehensible to you?

I saw an opening and I took it. That's what warriors do!

Then prepare yourself, 'warrior,' because our friend seems to be recovering quite efficiently. On cue, the ape rose from the pile with raised fists, orangutan features contorting in contempt by the intruder. Frowning, I began preparing myself, taking a rather human stance with a fighting style invented by my own thoughts. The creature, recognizing an invitation, happily obliged as it tore through the discarded items, heading towards me with an intense fury, ready to pummel if it got the chance-

"And finished~!"

What the-?!

Two things stunned me at that point. One, the sudden cheerful sing-song voice belonging to, who else, Rarity. Two, the fact the gigantic ape actually halted completely at her entrance, and I followed its gaze towards the approaching mare, who, carrying with her via magic, had a giant piece of folded up clothing floating harmlessly beside her. At the sight of us, however, the unicorn paused from her satisfied disposition and observed us in surprise... Followed by slight disappointment.

"Well, that explains all the disruptive noise I heard back here." What? Rarity, ignoring my surprised and concerned state, idly walked by, brushing off my extended limb of protection and towards the extinct creature, which regarded her intently. And then, to make things even more mind-[BEEP]ingly confusing, she began scolding the beast. "You simply couldn't refrain from causing violence, could you? Shame on you, after all the effort I put in to do as you wished."

And, AND, to throw me even more into a hopeless loop. The creature pouted. That's right, pouted. Just what was going on? "Rarity?" I asked rather uncertainly, trying to make sense of the situation. "Are you... Alright?"

"I shall be, once Borog has apologized for attacking my friend. Am I right, Borog?" The giant orangutan seemed to have mumbled something under it breath. "I beg your pardon?"

"...Sorry."

...It can talk?! That would've been useful earlier!

What kind of name is 'Borog?'

What kind of name is 'Sombra?'

Rarity, meanwhile, pursed her muzzle. "Now Borog, you know precisely it isn't myself you should be apologizing to."

The creature - Borog - then reluctantly rumbled loud enough for me to hear. "I'm sorry for attacking you... I didn't know you and this lovely pony were friends." Rarity immediately beamed, nodding before sending me an expectant look, as though daring me to retort anything rudely.

"...Yeah, it's fine... I guess." The mare seemed satisfied, for now. I, however, was far from it. "Now Rarity, if you would kindly explain to me what the Hell is going on, I'd-"

The unicorn cleared her throat, throwing me a demanding glance, which threw me off-balance again. Just what was happening here? Instead of answering my inquiry first, however, the fashionista instead addressed the large ape she seemed to consider a friend. "Now Borog, I have done as you have asked. This shall help you with your dream!" The floating folded cloth started ascending towards the curious beast. "I present to you, 'Giant, but Extravagant!'" And the clothing unfolded, revealing a... Rather colourful gigantic shirt, seemingly suiting the Gigantopithecus' size. At my look, Rarity added modestly, "I had to make do with what we had here."

Borog, meanwhile, was gently grasping the offered clothing. And, I [BEEP] you not, the damn beast actually began leaking tears from its previously hostile eyes. Rarity, spotting this, smiled lightly.

"Why not try it on?" Obliging without hesitation, the creature hurriedly placed the large clothing, to Rarity's brief worry over the state of her work, but that tension once it fit the giant orangutan perfectly. "You look marvelous darling. A real model of your kind." I was starting to wish those compliments were plain sarcasm.

I'm still confounded as to what precisely is occurring before my very eyes.

Welcome to my world!

...Oh wait, you've been living there for almost a year now.

"Now, will you do as I requested?"

Nodding, Borog brushed the fabric of his new shirt delicately, taking in the sensation. "I will give everyone their stuff back... Thank you, Miss Rarity..."

The mare nodded in turn, both pleased and satisfied by the effort. Finally, no doubt sensing my confusion, Rarity turned to me with a blissful smile. "Borog here simply wanted to fit in. He wished to live among ponies in peace, and believed taking all their stuff would help him understand us more. Fortunately, I set our misguided friend here straight. All it took was one lecture and offered help to resolve everything. I'd say Fluttershy would be proud, no?" She added jokingly.

...By God, this was the Jungle Book.


Thankfully, I didn't have to carry all this stuff alone. Borog was kind enough to lend a hand with the more heavy stuff, ourselves escorting Rarity back to the rather quiet town. On the way back, my friend explained how once Borog had taken her by error of judgement, the large ape was awfully timid upon interacting with the scared mare, taken aback by her constant screaming. Eventually, though, once the mare began calming down, it didn't take too long for Rarity to understand what precisely the creature wanted by simply asking, and Borog replied with what was essentially 'I wanna be like you.'

And that was the short version. They made a deal, Rarity would use her expertise to fashion torn clothing Borog accidentally ripped up over time in the cave to help him fit in. In turn, he would bring back all the stolen property back to their rightful owners. Meaning, basically, I never had to fight the ape to begin with, had I attempted to negotiate with him first instead of attacking; he was a real nice guy once you get to know him.

In other words, I was an arse... What else was new?

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Starswirl, meanwhile, was far less mocking about this. You were concerned for the well-being of your friend. You aren't to be blamed for the basic assumptions to what fate had presumably befallen Miss Rarity. Although, in future, I anticipate you'll be less reckless from hereon.

...No promises.

Hmhm. I expect nothing less.

Teacher of the year...

The banter on hold for the moment, we arrived into the town, setting all the things down gently, as to not break anything fragile. To my least surprise, the whole place was empty. Deserted, almost. But I knew from a fact everyone was hiding indoors, no doubt spotting the Gigantopithecus poking its head from the trees approaching their town. I sensed presences of fear and anxiousness all around us. Sighing, I excused myself from the two for a moment.

It only took about four minutes to drag the mayor, kicking and screaming, back to where Rarity and Borog waited. Ignoring all manners of protests and warnings from the scared elected figure, I set the pegasus down before the looming beast, keeping him firmly in place in case he attempted to plan an escape, like fly off.

Sending me a slight exasperated look, Rarity cleared her throat and addressed the mayor with a light smile. "Mr. Mayor. It is wonderful to see you again."

As though spotting her for the first time, the stallion's eyes looked as though they would pop out of his skull. "M-Miss Rarity. Your're okay!" And immediately gulping when Borog shifted somewhat, observing the nervous pegasus with open curiosity.

Although, I think 'nervous' would be like saying Twilight forgetting to write Celestia a lesson about friendship would be 'mild anxiety.'

"I appreciate your concern, Mayor." Rarity made a motion, and Borog obliged, moving his ape body to reveal all the goods. To that, the pegasus looked from us to all the stolen items in full-out shock. "I'm relieved to say that the taken property was all a giant misunderstanding... No pun intended. Borog here - This is Borog, by the way." He waved down at the cautious stallion. "Didn't know stealing was wrong until I set him straight." Rarity smiled up at her new friend. "He simply wished for acceptance among ponykind, and to make new friends. I request, Mayor, for forgiveness on his behalf, as Borog is deeply sorrowful for taking things that didn't belong to him. Isn't that right darling?"

The behemoth of an orangutan bowed his head in shame. "I'm sorry for taking so many things which aren't mine, Mr. Mayor." The voice was a very deep rumble, differently considerably to Christopher's voice with King Louie. "Your kind interested me, and I wish to learn more. I hope it isn't too late for that..."

It took a moment for the stallion to regain his voice, looking between the objects, Borog, Rarity and only once to myself before clearing his throat, desperately trying to show composure in this scenario. "I-I see... Well then, Miss Rarity, you have my and Trottop's deepest gratitude for helping our town finally get through this." Before nervously glancing up at the ashamed beast. "Borog, was it?" The ape nodded somewhat. "Although it was awfully wrong of you to steal from us... We are gratified, regardless, for realizing the error of your ways and returning all the stolen property to us."

Well, that's a start...

"And if all you desired was to simply befriend others." Finally, a small smile rose on the mayor's lips. "Well, I suppose we can arrange something." Now we're talking! Borog gazed at the stallion in renewed hope, and that seemed to wipe away the tension even further. "Trottop may have a prestigious lifestyle, but we are not beyond accepting others into our fold."

As though summoned by those very words, heads began peeking out from doors, windows and carts alike, ponies cautiously approaching, evidently frightened by the beast, keeping a safe distance. It only took until seeing their returned goods did they began nearing us further. Borog kindly took a few more steps away from the objects, allowing relieved and hopeful equines to retrieve their long-lost goods in happiness and joy.

And it was a treat to watch.

The mayor then cleared his throat, addressing the gather public at large vocally, "Let us all welcome Mr. Borog here officially to Trottop. He has realized it was wrong to steal our precious things, and wishes to make amends. And who are we to refuse? In celebration, let us proceed with the Dance Celebritorial as previously scheduled!"

Raised by cheers and clapping of hoofs from all around us.

And Rarity was more than enthusiastic about the news. "Ooh! Now everyone can try my specially-designed outfits made for this special occasion!" Prompted by more applause, and my humoured look.


You know, I played a little role in the grand scheme of things involving what happened here.

And I'm completely okay with that.

Today, it was Rarity who helped a friend out, not me. It was a breath of fresh air, really, not having to do everything myself. Instead, I resorted to helping the town set up the event with the decorations. When Rarity said they were posh, they were really posh. Like, remember the Grand Galloping Gala before it became a total mess? Picture that times ten.

Speaking of which, I believe that's just on the horizon.

"Marvelous, is it not?" Ah, the white unicorn, adorning a fancy bright red glittering dress, decided to join me in observing the party, formal attire and light dancing everywhere. "We arrive to deliver outfits for the Celebritorial, and also help a friend make even more friends." True enough, as Borog was preoccupied conversing with the ponies below him. "I must admit, for a very high-classed dispositions, their acceptance of Borog is rather surprising."

Yeah. It amazed me how quick they were to accept a giant filthy ape into their society. No offense to him, of course. Although Borog had to work for it first, of course, beginning with repairing all the damages he made to the town over his previous visits. "All thanks to you."

Rarity waved off the praise, smiling. "I simply provided generosity to a friend in need. Nothing more to it darling."

"Of course."

The mare sighed then. "A shame, though, our friends couldn't be here to join us. This is quite the party, I must say."

"We can always take a picture here and rub it in their faces when we get back." That prompted shared laughter, Rarity snorting into her drink.

"You're terrible," She commented in good nature, sipping her punch after a brief toast with my own drink, all ladylike and releasing a refreshing sigh. "Oh dear me..." Hm? I followed her gaze-

Ah... Haha!

I couldn't resist chuckling loudly at the display before us then; the Gigantopithecus decided it was fine to begin dancing himself in all sorts of unorthodox manners, prompting others to step back in both surprise and amazement at the lack of shame our friend was showing with his dance moves. Even Rarity wasn't above laughing behind her glass at the show.

"And I thought Twilight had the most peculiar dance moves..."

Pah! You ain't seen nothing yet Rarity.

You're not planning on-

Oh I'm planning on it.

"Can't beat 'em my dear, join them." Setting my wineglass to the side, I grinned at the bemused Rarity before proceeding to join the enjoying-himself Borog. Not even a massive ape can top my masterful dance moves.

That's one way of putting it...

Oh, idea! Starswirl!

Already ahead of you.

And as the crowd gathered, watching us in barely-concealed befuddlement and curiosity, whereas Rarity was observing in full amusement and light joy, the familiar music began playing in the air. And what better fitting music than a song that's been stuck in my head all two-thousand and sixteen?

I'm aware, that nauseating catchy theme wouldn't cease even playing in my thoughts, thanks to you-

What's that? Can't hear you over the sound of me singing alongside my Gigantopithecus friend "I Wanna Be Like You!" Let the real party commence!

PreviousChapters Next