• Published 5th Mar 2015
  • 469 Views, 9 Comments

Life at OCU - Blank Scroll



Everypony finds college to be an interesting experience filled with romance, learning and just about anything. Blazing Light finds it... Boring.

  • ...
 9
 469

Plans

I woke up to Moon Shadow shaking my shoulder. “Ugh… 5 more minutes, mom.” Turning over and pulling the covers over my head, I started to go back to sleep only for somepony to roll me onto the floor.

“OW! Alright, I’m up! I’m up,” I said as I rubbed my sore flank. “Did you really have to throw me on the floor?”

“Yeah. You’re very stubborn, so I helped you wake up,” Moon said walking back to the table in the room. He picked up a newspaper and started reading as I got up and started getting ready for the day. “Did you know Ponyville got a castle?”

I almost fell on my face trying to get my pants on. “Wait… Ponyville? As in ‘started by apple farmers’ Ponyville?”

“Duh. Is there another one I don’t know about? Besides, the castle is for Princess Twilight and her friends,” Moon responded. “I guess she finally got one like the other princesses.”

I sat there stunned while I digested that. “Hey, don’t you have family in Ponyville?”

“Well, yeah. A cousin I was close to when I was younger. Why?”

“Dude, we should go there on our spring break. It’ll be fun. Maybe we could see the castle.”

“I knew that was the real reason you wanted to go. But, hay, why not? It’ll be fun to hang out with my cousin again. I wonder how she’s doing.”

While he was busy wondering what his cousin was getting on in life, I was busy getting ready for my only class today: Math… I don’t really mind math, but it gets seriously boring and I just can’t stand it. “Moon, I’m heading to class. Oh, before I forget, can you email Blue Jay for me? K, thanks.”

I left before he could reply and made it to the front of the dorms. As I walked towards the math wing of the school, I spotted Moonlit with Ember. So, I made my way over to them, seeing as they were also walking towards the math hall. “Hey, girls, wait up.”

They turned at my voice and slowed down. “Hey, Blaze. Did you sleep this time?” Moonlit smirked at me while Ember giggled. “Or were you planning on sleeping in class again?”

Ember broke down into full laughter as I replied. “Oh, har har, you’re a riot. Yes, I slept fine. Although, math is so boring that it might put me to sleep anyway.”

“Right… maybe you should concentrate rather than slack off.”

“I’ll ask Moon to help me in that department. So, Ember…”

“Yes?”

“I… uh…” I stammered, blushing.

“Hmm?”

“Blazing Light, are you ok?”

They both looked at me curiously. I was just stuttering my way through the conversation and I couldn’t figure out why I had such a hard time talking to her. Maybe I really did have a crush on her. We passed by a few more students as we made our way to class.

“Uhh… yeah. Never better. Oh look, we’re here. Let’s find a seat.” I sped up and took my usual spot at the back of the classroom. Ember and Moonlit looked at each other and took their own seats. Ember took a chair near mine as Moonlit sat in the front of the room.

“So, Blaze…” Ember started to say, until the math teacher walked in. Cloud Swirl looked around the room, before saying, “Alright, take your seats and books open.”

Ember looked forward so we wouldn’t get in trouble. I was actually feeling glad that the teacher walked in when she did, or it would’ve gotten awkward fast. I kept stealing glances at Ember throughout the class.

I looked up from the notes I was writing to stare at the board a bit more. ‘xy^2 -7=7x… Uhh is this even a possible equation?’ I wondered about the possibility of that statement, I glanced at Ember, then back to my own notebook.

Cloud swirl looked around the room as the class was copying down notes. She noticed me sitting at the back of the class looking out the window, doodling on my notebook. “Blazing Light.”

I snapped my eyes forward and looked at Ms. Swirl. “Uhh… yes?”

“Mr. Light, I’m sure you’d like to solve the problem on the board, since you’ve so obviously figured it out by now?”

“Uhh…” I looked at my notebook then to the board. I honestly had no clue as to what the teacher was even talking about, let alone the problem on the board. “I believe the answer is…. Uhh not solvable?”

Cloud Swirl’s eyebrows rose as she looked at me with surprise. “Actually, yes. You're correct. I’m glad to see that you’ve learned something in my class.”

I sat down with a sigh of relief as the bell signaled the end of the lesson. “Alright, now remember, the assignment on page 35 is due next week. Blazing Light, do stay a moment.”

As everypony left the classroom, Ember cast me a worried look. I saw this and said, “Hey, don’t worry. I’ll be out soon. How about you wait for me at the dorm?”

Ember nodded. “OK. But, you’re going to explain what had you embarrassed earlier.” Then, she left with Moonlit.

Sitting in an empty classroom, alone with a teacher was not where I wanted to be at the moment, but didn’t really have a choice in the matter. “So… what did you need, Ms. Swirl?”

Cloud Swirl looked at me with a bemused expression. “Blaze, why do you feel the need to slack off in every class? I’ve heard from Swift and Storm that you do the same in their classes as well. I just want to know why.”

“I’m sorry. But, I’m just not a very focused guy. I have a certain interest span, and not that much includes school.”

Swirl just sighed and replied with, “Is that really a reason? Why are you here at OCU when you obviously don’t want to be?”

I looked at her and deeply thought about my answer. “Actually… I want to be here, it’s just that nothing catches my attention. I’m a smart kid, but I don’t exactly like the work involved with taking courses.”

“Oh? Did you want to take online courses instead? I might be able to get you started on that.”

My jaw dropped as she suggested that. “Wha-? No… I don’t want online courses. I honestly like live teachers talking with their students through the lessons, even if I don’t pay attention to them.”

“Well that’s quite a contradiction, Blaze. But, I’ll honor your decision on one condition…”

“Uhh… yes?”

“Do try to put more effort into your studies and try not to guess at the answers. Your luck won’t last forever.”

I sighed. She was right after all and it was only a matter of time that my luck would fail. “Yes, Cloud Swirl, I’ll try my best.”

She looked visibly pleased with my response and said, “Good, now be on your way. I have a meeting to get to.”


Ember was waiting for me when I reached my room. She looked exuberant leaning against the wall staring at the clouds with a smile on her lips and her hands entwined behind her back. She was wearing a green shirt with her cutie mark on the bottom left and a pair of light blue fitting jeans. A couple baubles on her left wrist drew my attention as she never wore much jewelry. As I was walking towards her, she turned and noticed me. She waved and said, “Hiya, Blaze,” with that perfect smile of hers.

I responded by smiling back and saying, “Hey, Ember.” I reached my room and tried to go in, only to find the door locked. Luckily, I had my key this time or I would’ve been embarrassed. Unlocking the door, I opened it and allowed Ember to go in. “You know, Blaze. Your room is pretty neat.”

“Nah, most of it is Moon Shadow’s stuff. I barely had anything to even put in here, much less any money to buy any more. And Moon keeps it clean most of the time too.”

Ember giggled as something crossed her mind. “We have something in common. We both have a friend called ‘Moon’.”

I laughed as I realized she was right. I sat on my bed and offered her the chair to my desk to sit on. When she sat down she immediately said, “So, what were you going to say earlier?”

I was caught off guard at such a quick question and as I opened my mouth to answer, the door opened and Moon walked in. “Hey, Blaze, have you started packing for the trip, yet?”

He froze when he saw Ember and stared at me until I answered his silent question. “Oh, uhh… Moon, we have a guest. Haha…”

“Trip? You are going on a trip? Where to?”

I hopped up and rushed to Moon’s side. “Just excuse us for a second, Em.” To Moon Shadow I whispered, “Dude, what do we tell her?”

“Why are you asking me? This is your mess, my friend.” And with that he walked over to his bed and sat down facing Ember. “So, Ember, what brings you over to our dorm room?”

Ember looked suspiciously over at me before answering him. “Well, Blazing Light was going to tell me something that he couldn’t earlier.”

Moon looked over at me, too, and I started to shrink away from their combined gaze. “So, Blaze, what were you going to tell her? Were you going to invite her to join us on our trip to Ponyville?” He asked with a sly grin creeping onto his face.

My face immediately started to redden, but just as I was about to protest, there was a sudden voice behind me. “What? You were going to invite Ember and leave me out of it? Might as well make it a double date if anything.”

I jumped and spun around to find none other than Moonlit Night standing at the door with a broad smirk splitting her features. She wore a gray sweater vest with a black undershirt, accompanied by informal black pants. She was cute… in a nerdy way. “What are you doing here, Moonlit? And what do you mean ‘double date’?”

I looked around and saw that Ember was blushing and Moon had a thoughtful expression. I turned back to Moonlit as she answered, “Well, I’ll go with Moon and you get to go with Ember. Sound fair?”

“Yeah, I guess that… Hey! What? And who said we were going to invite you?”

“I think it’s a great idea. Something like this should be fun. Though, with so many people going, we won’t be able to stay with my cousin. Does anypony have a plan as to where we’re staying in Ponyville?”

Moonlit looked over my shoulder at Moon saying, “I have a place in Ponyville. It’s right outside the main market area. And it’s a great shopping spot.” Moonlit was grinning, thinking that there was no counting her out now… and she was right.

“That sounds perfect. I assume it’s big enough for us?”

“Of course. Ember can stay in my room, you can have the spare bedroom, and Blaze can have the couch,” Moonlit replied, laughing.

I wasn’t too happy with that arrangement. Spinning around to face her, I said, “Seriously? What’s your deal? Why do you pick on me so much, huh?”

Ember, Moon and Moonlit started to laugh at how I took the situation, only making me more frustrated. I sat down on my bed with a huff and turned away from them. After a good few minutes they calmed down.

“Alright, we have a place to stay. Now we need to come up with what we’re going to do while we’re there. Any ideas?” Moon asked the group.

“Well, since it’s by the market, we can easily get our shopping done. And I also know that during our spring break that there will be a festival going on. Maybe we could go to that,” Moonlit suggested, immediately thing about the kiosks she wanted to visit and the food she wanted to try.

“Oh, that sounds like a lot of fun. We should definitely go. Right, Blaze?” Ember said, excitedly.

I turned around and saw that she was looking at me expectantly, with sparkles in her eyes. I knew I couldn’t say no to that, so all I ended up saying was, “Sure. That sounds great.”

“Whoa, easy on the sarcasm there. You’re going to smother us in here,” Moon laughed.

“Oh quiet, Moon. What else are we doing in Ponyville anyway? I really want to see Princess Twilight’s new castle.” I sat there imagining what it would be like walking into Twilight’s castle and exploring the many rooms it has.

“I know what you’re thinking, and the answer is no; you cannot just randomly explore a Princess’s castle. What is the matter with you?”

I glared at him and answered with, “So what? I don’t think she’d mind. There happens to be nothing wrong with me anyway.”

“Alright colts, no need to get into a lover’s quarrel right now. Wait until we get to my place,” Moonlit said, standing between us.

“What do you mean ‘lover’s quarrel'?!”

“What do you mean ‘lover’s quarrel'?!”

Moonlit laughed at our flustered answer and turned to Ember. “So, shall we continue with the planning? Or are we going to be spontaneous while we’re in Ponyville?”

Ember placed a hooked finger to her chin as she hummed. “We could do both. Like the plan for the festival, ooo and the shopping. And I kinda want to see the castle as well… I mean, they say it’s made of crystal.”

I turned to look at her as she said that, exclaiming, “No way! Are you serious? We totally have to go see it now. Moon, come on… it’s made of crystals.”

“If you don’t cause any trouble, I don’t see why we couldn’t take a peek inside.”

“Sweet!” I shouted to the room, too excited to care about the noise.

Moon calmly looked at Moonlit and said, “Well, I guess that’s settled. We should probably pack now before we forget.”

Moonlit nodded and headed for the door. “That’s right. Spring Break is in a few days though. The only one who needs to pack before he forgets is Blazing Light.”

Everypony in the room started to laugh and I just looked at them with a sour look on my face. “Yeah yeah. You guys are hilarious. I won’t forget, since I've got Moon here to remind me.”

With that, Moonlit and Ember left the dorm room. I sat on my bed pondering about the trip when Moon leaned over and placed his hand on my shoulder. “Blaze, this will be a trip to remember.”

I laughed as I responded to that. “Yeah, it sure is. Anyway, I’ll start packing.”

Author's Note:

A trip to a nearby town? Sounds like things are getting interesting.

As for the colored text: Blue was for Blazing Light, and Purple was for Moon Shadow.

Up next... Arrival.

Comments ( 9 )

xy2 -7=7x… Uhh is this even a possible equation?

nope:eeyup:

the 2 always goes before the xy so "xy2" would be "2xy"
now to try and solve it

2xy-7=7x
-7=7x-2xy
carry over the 2xy
-7/2y=6x
carry over the 2y
(-7/2y)/6=x
x= whatever the hell (-7/2y)/6 is which could very well be three

(-7/2y)/6=3
-7/2y= 18
carry over the 6
-7=36y
carry over the 2y
-7/36 =y
-0.91444444... = y

filling it in that works out to be roughly -12.484 which 7 time 3 (21) comes not even close too

Please don't take any of this seriously, I really enjoing this fic i just couldn't help myself and i probaly got most of this wrong

5708154 Lol you got it wrong on one because the xy2 is right. Since it was supposed to be squared :rainbowlaugh:

I enjoyed looking through your work though :derpytongue2:

I fixed it. But I wish I had superscript options

5708154 Ooo. In completely guessing. But if x=-1 and y=0 it might work for your equation.

2(-1)(0)-7=7(-1)
0-7=-7
-7=-7

5708810 ah that explains it
*gets out pen and paper*
5 mins later...
41.media.tumblr.com/9d5b65d4f96cae3b8351bb1784786ef1/tumblr_n63njjYUgA1sut4kno3_500.jpg

so y equals 0.623......

and it comes to minus 5

ok either maths skills are terrible or you just pick number out of a hat which is perfectly fine btw:pinkiehappy:

5708850 but that would make the teacher and blaze wrong:trixieshiftright:

5708854 5708861 But..... did you solve for both x and y, then plug those numbers into the equation to find your answers? I feel like guessing again.

You know, I think the same answer works here. X=-1 and Y=0

5708872 again that would make the teacher wrong and yeah i did as i thought of a way for you to get a squared number symbol use the reall smaii ones like this
xy2

it at the bottem but it better i guess

5708885 a subscript is a little different than a superscript. Lol. I will just go for the equation is unsolvable. Teachers love doing that I noticed, at least in my math classes

Login or register to comment