• Published 8th Mar 2015
  • 15,460 Views, 357 Comments

I'd Kiss Her - Fire Gazer the Alchemist



Applejack was having a pretty good day, and then she was forced to make out with Twilight.

  • ...
37
 357
 15,460

Just a Little Awkward

Dares have a tendency to get out of control. They're much like fresh apple cider in that regard. One was fine, two wasn’t pushing any limits, but from three and up it devolves quickly. And, much like too many ciders, too many dares could lead to saying something stupid, doing something asinine, causing a rift between friendships, or all of the above.

As a stark silence fell between the pair of mares standing face to face in the park, Rainbow Dash chose not to ponder any of that. Instead, she was basking in what was very likely her moment of triumph. Before her, Applejack stood in shock. Her pupils resembled peas, shrunk and withered in the dead centers of her eyes. Her ears were folded down, and blood was rising under her cheeks. With a shaky, forced gulp, Applejack opened her mouth.

“Uh… Rainbow, could ya repeat that? Ah don’t think Ah heard ya right.”

Flashing a wicked grin, Rainbow Dash extended her hoof again, singling out a pony not more than fifty feet away.

“I dare you,” Rainbow Dash articulated each word slowly, just for the sake of discomforting Applejack more. “To march right up to Twilight, and make out with her.”

Applejack’s face slowly morphed into a rueful cringe. “B-but Ah…” Her eyes fell to the ground and darted about. She was struggling to comprehend what was happening, and seemed to be having a rather poor time of it. “Rainbow, please…” She looked back up, pleading with her eyes. “Anythang but that. Ah beg ya.”

“That’s the dare AJ. You, Twilight, and some good ole fashion lip wrasslin’.” Saying it again definitely didn’t ease Applejack’s nerves, and adding a country twang only served to fluster her more.

Applejack’s brows furrowed, and she struggled to say something. “B-but ya can’t... Ah… W-we…”

Rainbow smirked as her friend continued stuttering, blood flaring under her cheeks. Her head bowed slowly as she struggled to decide what to do. Applejack was stuck between her stubborn resolve to rise to the challenge, or her desire crumple at the thought of kissing her crush.

Rainbow, on the other hoof, was relishing every moment of this. Revenge was a dish best served cold, and right now Applejack had enough for three helpings. As she continued to battle internally over her course of action, it almost appeared like she might swallow her pride and forfeit. She even got as far as taking a shaky breath in to speak when Rainbow figured now would be a good time to deliver the final blow. “You know what? Don’t worry about it; you don’t have to do the dare.”

A rush of air escaped Applejack in a relieved exhale. “Thank ya, Rainbow, Ah–”

“But that does mean you’ll have to admit I’m the more daring pony.” Rainbow grinned. Hah! Got you now AJ!

Applejack opened her mouth to respond, and shut it. Her jaw clenched visibly, and a stubborn spark lit up in her eyes. Every muscle in her body seemed to tense up at once, repulsed by Rainbow’s suggestion. An uncomfortable, pride-fueled sigh escaped her. After swallowing some air, she finally responded. “Ah’ll do it.”

Rainbow’s smirk evaporated. “Wait… what?”

Applejack sucked in a deep breath, and turned around. Her legs were clearly as stiff as boards, but she forced them forward, what little confidence she had draining with each step. Despite this, there wasn’t a doubt in either of their minds that Applejack wouldn't back down from this; her stubborn pride wouldn’t allow her. In fact, it was probably propelling her every step, reminding her that she would never cave.

This was slightly different than how it had played out in Rainbow’s mind. She’d anticipated that Applejack would give up immediately, and she would secure the win and the bragging rights as the most daring pony. Instead, she’d just sent her friend on a collision course with disaster.

Rainbow was about to speak up and take the dare back, but the words got stuck in the back of her throat. Applejack was marching forward at an alarming rate, and probably wouldn’t hear her in time. Aside from that, there wasn’t a doubt in Rainbow’s mind that what was about to happen would be hilarious. She swallowed her unspoken words, and took a few steps into eavesdropping range.

This ought to be good.


“Twilight, it’s nice to see you.” Rarity stopped walking, and gave her friend a smile. It was immediately returned.

“Hi, Rarity, it’s great to see you too. How have you been?”

“I’ve been wonderful, despite a less than satisfactory morning.” Rarity’s gaze drifted to a large cardboard box Twilight currently held in her grasp. “What’s that?”

Twilight shot a quick glance to the box and smiled. “Oh, these are the parts for my new telescope. It just came in today and I couldn’t be more happy about it.” She let out a giddy squeal.

Rarity tilted her head, slightly confused. “Why’s that?”

Twilight beamed. “Princess Luna told me she was planning on a massive meteor shower tonight! And thanks to this new telescope it will be the first one I’ll be able to really enjoy since… well, you know.”

“Ah, yes…” Rarity stopped right there, not wanting to open the can of worms that was the destroyed library. “Well, it sounds simply wonderful. I hope you have a good time.”

“Same here.” Before Twilight could say any more, the sound of hooves stomping on the dirt interrupted her. The two of them turned to see Applejack forcing herself to walk over to them. Her legs were stiff and tentative with each step, sweat clung to her face, made more prominent against her beet red cheeks.

Rarity cocked her head, confused. Applejack slowed down as she approached, likely intending to talk to them. Instead, she should be in the middle of some sort of absurd dare; at least, that was what Rarity and Rainbow Dash had agreed on. Shifting her gaze slightly, she caught sight of a rainbow colored mane, and the pony it belonged to. What are you up to, Dash?

"H-h-h..." Applejack cleared her throat. "Hi, Twilight. Rarity." She gave a curt nod.

"Hello."

"Hey, Applejack. How are you?"

Applejack forced a smile. "A-Ah'm good. Sweatin' like a pig, but Ah'm g-good."

Twilight and Rarity's eyebrows arched simultaneously. Twilight spoke up first. "What?"

Applejack's eyes almost popped out of her head, likely just realizing her last sentence had been out loud. "Uh... N-no Ah mean... Ah'm fine..."

"All right." Twilight was more than happy with letting the subject drop. Rarity was less keen, and was making sure to take notice of everything Applejack was doing. Her forelegs quivered slightly, and her eyes would occasionally dart about, and seemed to have an exceptionally difficult time looking directly at Twilight.

This, accompanied by all the stuttering and blushing thus far, was helping Rarity form an interesting theory. A very interesting theory.

"Uh... Um..." Applejack was attempting to say something else, but the words were caught in her throat. Distantly Rarity swore she heard a snicker from Rainbow Dash.

"What's the matter?" Twilight tilted her head, concerned.

"Twi, please forgive me," Applejack whispered.

"Forgive you? For wha–" Twilight found herself cut off as Applejack grabbed her by the cheeks. She barely had time to squeak in surprise before Applejack pressed their lips together.

For a second, they all froze; as if time was standing still. Then things began happening.

The magic keeping Twilight's package afloat was snuffed out abruptly, sending it falling to the ground. Applejack deepened the kiss, likely trying to get as much out it as possible. Twilight's irises became pinpricks. Most noticeably, however, was the wild, rancorous laughter that erupted from Rainbow Dash.

Rarity's eyes widened in surprise. As the scene before her played out, she only had one thought. Theory confirmed... I suppose.

The kiss persisted for several more seconds; Applejack doing most of the work. Twilight was frozen in limp shock, unable to do anything except let the kiss happen.

Finally, Applejack pulled away, her face more red than orange. "Fer that," she answered.

Twilight didn't respond. She couldn't respond. She was as unmoving as a stone, face frozen in mid-kiss.

"Uh... Twi?" Applejack blinked, looking slightly concerned. Rarity got over her own surprise just in time to notice Twilight's paralysis.

"Twilight? Darling?" Rarity waved a hoof in front of Twilight face, only to get no reaction. "I think she's unconscious."

"Great, just great," Applejack lamented. "Ah screwed up her brain or somethin', didn't Ah?"

Rarity tapped Twilight on the forehead to no avail. "No, no, I'm sure it's nothing quite like that. But she does appeared to be a little more than shocked at what just happened."

Applejack bit her lip in shame, and pushed her hat over her eyes. “Ah… Ah’m sorry, Twilight.”

Before Rarity could blink, Applejack whirled around and ran. She rockted passed Rainbow Dash, who was rolling on the ground in laughter. Rarity watched as Applejack ran from the park and disappeared in town.

Rarity turned back to the still frozen Twilight. A steady rise and fall of her chest let Rarity know her friend was still breathing, but she still wasn’t too sure about consciousness. Giving her a little nudge, Rarity said, “Twilight. Snap out of it, darling.”

A second, harder nudge finally did the trick. Twilight blinked, and touched her lips with her hoof. “A-Applejack?”

“Twilight, I don’t–”

“Applejack!” Twilight’s wings flared out. She began running forward, and flapping. In a few seconds she was in the air, flying in the same direction Applejack had run off. Rarity noticed in Twilight’s hurry, she had left her new telescope.

The park was quiet now, save the howling of Rainbow Dash. Rarity thought for a moment, and then realized what must have happened. Her horn sparked to life and she grabbed the package with her telekinesis before going over to have a talk with her.

When she arrived, Rainbow Dash was still doubled over. Her breaths were short from laughing so much, but she at least seemed to be slowing down. She inhaled deeply, and stood up while grinning from ear to ear. “Did you see that? She actually did it! Priceless!”

“How could I not see it? I was right there!”

“I know, I know. So did you enjoy the front row view? Oh man, the look on her face must’ve been–”

“Rainbow Dash, are you mad?”

She blinked. “Uh, no. I’m actually pretty happy. Didn’t you see all the laughing?”

Rarity groaned. “I mean, what were you thinking?”

“What? You wanted AJ to pay a little bit, and so did I. I figured forcing her to kiss her crush would be hilarious and satisfying.”

“Well it– Wait a moment.” Rarity narrowed her eyes. “You knew that Applejack was infatuated with Twilight, and you still insisted on that dare?”

“Well, I didn’t know. I suspected. I guess you could say I was eighty percent sure about it. Good thing I was right though, it wouldn’t have been nearly as funny if–”

“I cannot believe you!” Rarity interrupted. Rainbow took a step back from the force of her voice. “Do you have even the faintest inkling of what you’ve done to poor Applejack?”

Rainbow lowered her brow and opened her mouth slightly, thinking. “What are you talking about? I thought it would be funny.”

Rarity sighed and shook her head. “Clearly you’ve never had a crush before.”

“Hey, come on, I didn’t think she’d actually do it! I figured she’d give up on the spot and I’d have gloating rights for eternity.”

“Really?” Rarity asked, astonished. “You thought Applejack, stubborn-as-a-mule Applejack, would just give up when issued a challenge?”

Rainbow rubbed the back of her head with her hoof. “Well uh… that was how it turned out it my head, yes.”

“Rainbow Dash, my front row view, as you so aptly called it, let me witness Applejack’s heart breaking!”

“What?”

“Do you have any idea how hurt she was when that kiss ended? And it’s not as if Twilight’s reaction helped any.”

“All right, I get it. I should have been twenty percent sure-er about AJ’s crush before I did something like that.”

“How about instead of something like that?” Rarity sighed. “Celestia, Rainbow, do you ever stop and think before speaking?”

“Not really, no.” Rainbow Dash cringed slightly.

Rarity groaned. “We have to fix this.”

“What? How?” Rainbow seemed to finally understand the severity of the situation. At least a little bit. “I mean, AJ we could probably track down, but I doubt she'll be willing to take any help from me.”

“And who even knows what could possibly be running through Twilight’s mind right now.” Rarity thought for a moment. “We should go find Applejack first. Whether she wants help or not, I intend to give her some, even if it's just emotional support. Do you have any idea where she might be?”

“Hmm…” Rainbow concentrated. “I think so.”

“Then we haven’t a moment to lose. Hurry, we need to find her before Twilight, otherwise we’ll have an even worse mess on our hooves.”

Nodding, Dash turned and started trotting. "Ok, follow me."