• Published 14th Feb 2015
  • 2,691 Views, 128 Comments

Nightmare's Dream - shirotora



Twilight and her new fiance Curt descover that humans adepts have begun apearing across the galaxy. Now, the two former soldiers must seek them out so they can learn to control their new powers.

  • ...
22
 128
 2,691

Chapter 6: Snatch n' Grab

Chapter 6: Snatch n' Grab

“Are you sure you want to do this?” Curt asked Alex as he held out a loaded rifle to the entertainer.

“Nope,” Alex replied, taking the weapon. “But I'm doing it. Let's go.”

Twilight and Curt shared a knowing look. They knew he was scared, but not not cripplingly. That was good. People that were too afraid, or weren't afraid enough were the ones that died first. Twilight recalled Raak's words to her so long ago;

“Fear's good. It tells you to keep your head down and not charge like a madman into the fray. That's the Dratali's greatest weakness; they have no fear. That's why they attack hard and fast but in prolonged battles, they almost always lose. Fear makes you smart. Just don't let it cripple you.”

Alex let out a mirthless laugh, seeing their expressions, “Look, I’m no stranger to gunfights and bullets flying over my head, alright. I... wasn’t always such a law abiding citizen, ya’know. I just never thought I’d be jumping into a gunfight.”

Curt scrutinized the man for a moment before continuing. “When we get in there, it's going to be chaos. Stay with us, and keep your head down. Have you been practicing that shield spell Twilight taught you?”

“Yeah. I'm not sure I'll be able to hold it all the way to the cell, but I should be able to get us at least halfway,” Alex replied.

“That's good enough,” Curt assured. “Twilight and I could take it from there and still have the mana to teleport you and the VIP.”

Alex nodded and took a deep breath, letting out a laugh. “You know, It's weird. A few day ago, I was just doing my shows like always, and now look at me. You know, I still don't know why I came with you two. I mean, who in their right mind would just drop everything and go with a couple of random guys that just waltz in and start pulling people out of closets?”

“Do you regret it?” Curt asked.

Alex sighed. “Ask me again when we get back.”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

”... And yes, that is her natural hair color.”

“At least we know where her name came from. What about the rather intimidating looking fellow beside her? Am I correct in assuming that is Spike, her... husband?”

That's right. That is a real, live dragon, straight from the story books. According to sources on Avol, he was the giant dragon from the war-vids that literally punched a Dratali biomech so hard it broke orbit. Apparently, he's the adoptive brother-

“Can you believe this shit?” Derek huffed and chucked an empty beer can at the holoscreen. “Fucking horses are even invading racing.”

“Dude, shut the hell up,” replied Adam. “Why not be a little grateful they saved our asses. You know how many of them died ending our war?”

Derek crossed his arms and leaned back on the couch. “I don't trust anything that can use that witchcraft. They should be wiped out.”

“Like the kid?” Adam deadpanned.

“You think if we didn't have a tight leash on him he wouldn't explode us all over the walls?”

“Hell no. He's too soft.”

“Or he's just trying to make you think that.”

“Adam,” called Joe as he approached the TV area. “Go relieve Johan.”

“Oh, come on! My shift ain't for another four hours,” Adam protested. “I was gonna kick Lim’s ass in Blood Tide.”

“Yeah, but Johan’s girl's having his baby as we speak,” said Joe.

“For real?” Adam jumped up and ran toward the ladder to the roof, around the billiards tables and through the arcade, just in time to see Johan running for the exit.

“Hey, get pictures!” Adam shouted at the retreating man.

He was never happier to take watch early. His friend had been so happy ever since his girlfriend for the past three years said she was pregnant. Of course, that meant he was going straight and getting a legit job.

Adam couldn't do that. He liked his job. Not only was the pay good, but he got respect. People didn't mess with him, knowing who his boss is. That being said, the one part he hated was having to stand watch on the damn roof. It was the most boring post one could have.

“The shit I do for money,” Adam said as he pushed open the hatch and crawled onto the roof. “Yo, Lenny, Carl, how's the weather?!”

He waited for the other two guys that should still be there to answer, but got nothing.

“Hey, where are you guys?!” he called again.

His only answer was a flash of lavender light.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

“Roof guards are taken care of,” Twilight whispered into her headset as she finished binding the last unconscious man.

Copy. Set a mark,” replied Curt over the comm.

Twilight trotted silently to an open section and leaned her head down, casting a quick tracking spell. Seconds afterward, a blue flash brought Curt and Alex onto the roof.

“You good?” Twilight asked.

“Yeah. That wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be,” Curt replied, as he tossed Twilight a rifle.

Twilight took a deep breath. “I just hope my enchantments work.”

“If they don't, we can't stop,” Curt asserted.

“I know.”

Alright you guys,” came Mrs. Dupree's voice from over the comm. “I've rerouted their security systems to send any and all alerts to Lima IV.

“That should give us four hours, thirteen minutes and twenty-seven seconds before any contacts can alert them to the intrusion,” Twilight informed.

Alex gave the mare a confused look. “That's awfully exact.”

“It's how long it would take for a message to get to Lima IV and back,” the purple one replied.

“How do you do that?” the magician asked, exasperatedly.

“She's smart,” Curt said dismissively. “Get yourselves ready. Twilight.”

The pony followed the ex-soldier to the edge of the roof, just above the front door. Curt held out three fingers on his left hand, as he extended his right toward one of the guards below. Twilight followed suit, targeting the other guard. Curt lowered one finger, then a second. When the last finger dropped, the two guards were yanked up so fast they couldn't even scream.

The pair were quickly rendered unconscious, and the three attackers leaped from the roof. Their magically slowed fall landed them just in front of the door. Curt and Twilight drew their weapons as Twilight's horn and Alex's hands lit up. A massive blast hurtled from the unicorn's horn as the performer erected his shield.

The door was torn from its hinges, taking a chunk of the wall with it. As they rushed in, Alex's shield spell forming around them, Twilight raised her pistol towards the first thug she saw, sitting on an old, worn couch watching a pool game in progress. Before he could even turn toward the sudden disturbance, the unicorn pulled the trigger. The crystal attached to the magazine well glowed as the ferrous pellet was charged with both magnetic and magical energy. The enchanted pellet accelerated to ten times the speed of sound as it left the weapon's barrel. The spell took hold almost immediately, morphing the pellet into an ethereal non-mass. It impacted the man on the chest, on his right side. As if flipping a light switch, the man slumped in a magically induced coma.

In less than half a second into the breach, the first casualty was counted. In the next two, a total of seven threats were neutralized before the gangsters could even react.

Then, all hell broke loose.

The remaining thugs jumped behind the nearest cover. Over a dozen pistols and around a half dozen rifles opened fire on the trio as they rushed through the building. Every ping of a charged pellet on the shield reverberated in Alex's mind, causing a slight headache.

Six seconds into the blitz, another five fell with more taking their place. The attackers were making progress, nearly halfway there. A blast from Curt's left hand cleared two couches and a vid center out of their way. With nothing stopping them, they plowed through, taking shots at anyone that peaked out of cover.

Ten seconds. Twilight's horn glowed with arcane energy just before a lance of energy blasted the handle on the door to the center room, flinging the door open. Luckily, their target had heard the commotion and retreated to the far side of the room.

Twilight barged into the room just ahead of the others. The moment she stepped in, however, she felt a strange tingling and her pistol fell to the ground with a thud. This was followed by the popping of the shield spell failing.

“The hell?!” came Alex's voice behind her.

“Get in!” Curt yanked the performer inside and slammed the door shut. “Get cover!”

Twilight quickly tipped over a thick steel table that rested in the center of the room and pulled the kid cowering in the corner behind it with her. Alex and Curt jumped behind just as the door was kicked back open. Two more fell dead to Curt as they tried to rush them, the nonlethal enchantments also failing.

“What the hell happened?!” Curt hissed.

“I don't know!” Twilight replied, panicking a little. “I can't get my magic to hold form.”

Before they could ask him to elaborate, a loud voice bellowed out, “You're trapped! There's nowhere to go and you can't use your magic in there! The floors are made of maudarium! Come on out and we can talk. Depending on your answers, we might even let you go.”

“How the hell do they know about maudarium?” growled Twilight.

“Mom, we're in trouble,” Curt said into his comm.

I'm looking for a solution, now. Try to stall, if you can,” came the reply.

“How about you come in here!” Twilight yelled back.

The voice just laughed. “You aren't in a position to negotiate. Sure, we can't come in without getting shot, but you can't come out with us out here. All we have to do is wait a few days for you to grow tired, hungry, and thirsty, and then we'll just move in and execute you. Those’re your options, come out and possibly live, or stay and die. Go ahead, talk it over.”

“This is just great,” Twilight seethed.

It was then that Alex finally took note of the terrified young man among them.

“Heh,” he scoffed. “Some rescue attempt.”

“R-rescue?” the kid stammered.

The kid jumped as Curt fired a couple warning shots at a thug that tried peeking sneaking up on them.

“Get the hell back, you retards!” the boss shouted at his thugs.

“Yeah,” Alex replied, bringing the kid's attention back. “You aren't the only human that can use magic. Everyone in this room can.”

“You're doing this just for me?” the kid's eyes shifted from one face to the next, taking in his would-be heroes. “Why?

“Because you're the one of the first humans to be given this gift in over two thousand years,” Twilight replied. “So, as the newest members of the Alliance, Avol is opening the doors of our most prestigious magic school to all of you.”

Another gunshot preceded a thud as a body hit the floor. “I said stay back!” shouted the gruff voice of the gang's leader.

Twilight peaked over the cover, looking out the door. She could see several thugs, all with rifles now. They were all behind cover, just waiting for them to come out. That wasn't what scared her, though. From the hole they made when they busted in, she saw a truly massive figure approaching carrying what looked like a massive auto-cannon.

“Oh, shit,” she uttered.

“What?” Alex asked, worriedly.

I suggest you get down” crackled a voice over their comm.

“Who the hell are you?!” came the gruff voice just before the whir of a turbine kicked in. “Kill hi-”

He was interrupted by roar of one thousand rounds a minute ripping him to shreds. Curt and Alex both hit the ground as Twilight brought the kid down with her. Bits of wall and shrapnel fell around them as the powerful weapon tore through everything it touched. Twilight had to press her ears back as the kid beside her screamed in terror.

The entire ordeal lasted no more than ten seconds before everything went quiet as the grave. Then, came the sound of heavy footsteps crunching over debris.

“The way is clear,” called a deep, monotone voice. “I am an ally, Twilight Sparkle.”

Slowly, Twilight inched up and peaked through one of the holes the enormous gun punched through the table. The giant of a man must have stood nearly eight feet tall and was clad from head to toe in thick olive-gray armor. By his side was the auto-cannon, obviously custom as those were intended for gunships. The fact that this titan wielded it as if it were an assault rifle was terrifying.

“Why should we trust you?!” shouted Alex.

“Because you are still alive,” the behemoth answered plainly.

“He's right,” Curt confirmed. “That's a Viper 21 auto-cannon. This table might as well be tissue paper against something like that.”

“If he wanted us dead, we would be,” Twilight added before yelling out to the big man. “Who are you, and why did you help us?!”

“I am an operative in the employ of a man who has been hired to ensure the success of your mission,” the man's baritone voice boomed back. “My apologies, but names must wait until we are in a secure location.”

“What do you think?” Curt asked Twilight.

I think we can trust him, for now,” Curt's mother replied over the comm. “Like Twilight said said; if he wanted you dead, you would be. Just, don't trust him, completely.”

A whimper made Twilight jumped a little. She twisted around, ready to strike, but relaxed when she saw who it was. With everything happening so fast, and with how quiet he had been, she had almost forgot the kid was there

Now, though, he was shivering and crying in fright. The kid couldn't have been more than fourteen, and yet he was kept caged like an animal and forced to do who-knows-what with what should have been a wonderful gift.

“Shh, everything's going to be fine,” she whispered in his ear, softly, trying to calm him down. He flinched as she started rubbing his back, gently. “You're safe now. We won't let anything bad happen to you.” It didn't stop the tears, but at least his shivering eased a little.

“Alright, we're coming out!” Curt shouted.

Curt stood first, followed by Alex and then Twilight, the mare keeping the kid behind them.

“I have a truck just on the other side of that warehouse,” the giant said, pointing the the building across from the one they were currently in. He turned back and held out a small rod. “Here is the key. I have one more thing I must do here. I would appreciate it if you would bring the truck around and pick me up.”

Hesitantly, Curt approached. “Yeah... okay, but as soon as we're clear, I want answers.”

“Very well,” replied their savior as he handed the key over.

All four watched the mostly metal man as the passed, making their way toward the vehicle. The kid clung to Twilight's side, still shaking slightly.

As soon as they were out of earshot, Alex asked, “Are we gonna trust him?”

“Yes,” Curt answered, plainly. “Why do you think he gave us the keys to his truck? It was a show of good faith. He gave us a way to escape if we think he's a threat.”

“Or there's a bomb in the truck,” Alex stated.

Twilight laughed at that. “You watched too many movies. If he wanted us dead, he would have just shot us. That cannon he was holding as if it were a toy is meant to be mounted on aircraft and assault vehicles. Did you see how easily it tore through the table?”

“He doesn't want us dead,” Curt restated as they rounded the corner of the building, “but that doesn't mean he's friendly. We give him a chance to explain himself, but keep your guard up. He might just be trying to lure us into a false sense of security.”

The truck was as big as one would expect from a giant. It was a land vehicle with wheels as tall as Twilight, horn included. It was painted an unassuming brown with a large, four-seater cab. At least, it used to be a four-seater. As Curt discovered when he opened the door, the driver seat was removed, likely so the behemoth could sit on the back seat when driving. Thankfully, the steering wheel and pedals could be transferred to the passenger seat.

Twilight got in the back seat as Alex and the kid climbed in the bed. With everyone situated, Curt started the engine and hit the gas. Their new acquaintance was waiting in front when they swung around.

When they stopped, the man placed his weapon in a toolbox on the driver side of the bed and opened the door.

“I thank you for trusting me,” he said as he climbed in.

As Curt sped away, fast, but not so fast as to draw too much attention, Twilight demanded, “Alright, now start explaining.”

“My name is Oscar,” he said in his plain, baritone voice. “And apparently some very powerful people want you to succeed in your task.”

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Korg

Homeworld: Dok'lat, Fatr

Physically, the Korg can best be described as feline primates. They possess the prehensile tail and arboreal grace found in primates, but with very feline facial features as well as retractable claws on their hands and feet. They are covered almost entirely in fur with the exception of their face, hands and feet. This fur comes in 'metalic' colors, such as gold, silver, and bronze, while the skin beneath is typically a shade of red, orange, brown, or blue, with rare colors of purple and yellow.

The Korg are the only other race of the Alliance that is considered quadrupedal, though they are equally capable of walking in a bipedal manner and typically do when they are accompanying other bipeds. They are also one of the few that do not share the nudity taboo common among the Alliance races and as such, Korg worlds do not have laws prohibiting nudity.

Korg culture is steeped in tradition and spiritualism. Even the Korg homeworld of Dok'lat reflects this, as only a single city can be found on the surface simply because it is considered a slight against the spirits to cut down the massive Laktia, or Mother Trees.

Korg spiritualism isn't a religion, however. Though many do follow one religion or another, their belief in ancestor spirits is not associated with any of them. This belief is simply that the spirit is eternal, and continues on after the death of the physical body. Because of this, their version of marriage, Omi'tor, or 'Spirit bonding' is eternal, even transcending death, as it is the union of the spirit, not the body.

Author's Note:

So, yeah... Sorry for the wait. Journeyman was delayed and I didn't want to shoot ahead of him in the story's timeline. Anyway, I'm really not too thrilled about how this chapter came out, especially the shootout. I tried to fix it, but everything I did just made it worse. A few things have been improved, but it's still not where I wanted it. Sorry if it's not as good as you were hoping.

Comments ( 26 )

Gods for half a minute........... wait I still think its the TF2 heavy..... i swear to god if the is a sandwich in the tool box im going to hit you

6359745 Not at all. This guy's big, yeah, but he's also intelligent, cultured, and more than half robot... Though, I might have to do a one shot parody, now.

6359762 ah ok just the way you describe him and the way he talks is very similar to the tf2 just with future armor

6359775 He actually talks very monotone, displaying very little emotion.

6359794 so does the heavy when he is not talking abouit his mini gun or in the heat of battle meh either way il just keep picturing the tf2 heavy its fun

"maudarium" why does that sound familiar :duck:?

6361146 I don't know... Maybe we should ask a rock expert? You think Pinkie knows one? :pinkiehappy:

6795815 I've been battling writer's block. The war isn't going well for me.

6798932 Request for reinforcements received. Deploying battle Tank!
i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/248/914/ede.png

Give them Hell, soldier!

6799280 Ah, Equestria's mane battle tank.






I'm so sorry

Shiro, if your wondering about the writers block problem, I have the same problem with recording let's plays (I haven't uploaded anything worthwhile yet). I've found that some alcohol usually loosens me up enough to make some effective and funny commentary.
That might work for you, although I kinda gave up on my own fan fic series....mostly because I lost my plot outlines and am too lazy to try to recreate them......And I still have an attention problem, which only gets worse with alcohol......geez this comment is running a bit long and I'm rambling.....like the Allman Brothers...:derpytongue2:...god I love their music...k Imma stop now.

one more thing.....Stay cool mi amigo.

7191640 Mmm... Vodka... Or my cousin's 'shine :ajsmug:. Yeah, booze does help, but it's expensive.

Shiro, you worry too much. Your fics are too badass for peeps to notice little things like a somewhat botched firefight.

I had to force myself to read this :twilightsheepish: Something about the cover art throws me off for whatever reason.

7341428 Thanks. I just want to provide my readers with the best experience... when I can actually write :twilightblush:

7342563 Still waiting for more...

~Crystalline Electrostatic~
23:36_12/17/2016

7801763 I'm honestly thinking about completely redoing this. The fact is, it was set up as a collab between me and three other people. Now that half of them are gone, it's kinda collapsing. A lot of it relied on those other stories. I'll have to talk to Journeyman about it.

7801905 Do what you can please? It'd be a real shame if this faded into the abyss that it cancellation.

~Crystalline Electrostatic~
1:5_12/18/2016

Shiro, i love the original Into the Black, but for all that is holy, please change the picture on this one. I can't even bring myself to start reading it, cuz the pic is giving me living nightmares. Puhleeeeeheheheeeease! :fluttercry:

8533914
The cover was gifted to me and I don't have anything better, anyway. Besides, this is going to be reworked, as the collaboration collapsed.

8534347
Yeah those things rarely work out. Fimfiction seems to be full of those projects that lost all steam except for the original author.

Whaaaa-? I never knew this existed! :pinkiegasp:

I was around back in my teens reading ItB back in 2014, and I somehow never saw this.

ItB was a HUGE part of my life and my more dedicated time in the Fandom. This and Darkwing's My Little Caboose were two very special parts of my life when I was going through some dark times. I put school (online high school) aside on multiple occasions just to binge this. I was often eating lunch/breakfast/dinner while reading this.

And somehow after all this time I find out there was a sequel?! :facehoof:

Well, when I can find the time, I'll be reading this. Should probably reread ItB just to be safe :moustache:

Is this story Dead????

10382973
In its current form, yes. Unfortunately, it was supposed to be a collab, but one by one the others dropped out. I am working on a reboot, though. I can't say when I'll be starting it, but it is in the works.

10383104
Thanks for the reply . Stay safe from covid19 😊😊😊😊

Login or register to comment