• Published 26th Jan 2015
  • 18,237 Views, 1,946 Comments

Shattered Skies - Arctikfox



Shattered Skies has lived much of his life tending to his forests, but after he was betrayed by a princess he trusted, all he wants to do is to live a normal life even if the world tells his otherwise.

  • ...
112
 1,946
 18,237

PreviousChapters Next
(H) Chapter 44 -Moving Pieces-

-Moving Pieces-

"So your foster parents had some money, huh?" Skyfall asked as he and Sunset walked along a lush neighborhood sidewalk. Each house had large, styled yards. Ornate architecture was commonplace. And not to mention each estate was gated within the gated community. Some houses were grand in size while others held a more modest appearance.

Sunset blushed at the implication. "Please don't tell the others, I try and remain modest since I have opportunities most don't. My parents are into owning things so the girls have only ever seen the small house I live in nearer to the city, but this is my real house."

Skyfall picked up on Sunset's self awareness, most beings that grew up with money never thought twice about what they have. However, people can learn to become jerks with money as it effects everyone differently.

"My lips are sealed." Skyfall said. "However, won't your parents be upset with you bringing home someone that looks as old as your principal? I mean, if I were in their shoes and my daughter showed up after being gone for months with a grown man, I would assume she was pregnant."

"Skyfall!"

"What?" Skyfall put his hands up. "It's a legitimate concern, I don't want to hood slide over your cars trying to avoid getting shot in the butt by angry parents who think I knocked their daughter up."

Sunset's face heated up at the imagined embarrassment. "There's nothing to worry about, they travel multiple times a year. My foster father is very traditional so he would probably try and return me to the foster care program if he found out I was dating someone your age."

"So fifty-fifty chance they'll be there?"

"Try a figure in the nineties." Sunset said. She low walked near the gate and peaked through a patch in the shrubbery, with a few jerky movements of her heart, a small fist pump to the side signaled her happiness. "Nope, they aren't here."

Skyfall glanced up to house they arrived at, unlike the mansions at the forefront of Sunset's neighborhood, this one she called home was a medium sized, two story house that looked more attuned to a northern countryside, with large, old trees dotting the landscape that blew gently in the frigged breeze of a coming fall storm. The black driveway cut the landscape for half an acre before splitting between two garages with a tall entryway in the center. Skyfall squinted and saw a small barn peeking out from the back of the plot where the house sat.

"So you live here?" Skyfall asked.

"Recently, yes." Sunset said quietly. "I used to live in a utility shed behind the grocery store until a police officer found me. He knew Principal Celestia and they helped me find a family through a placement program. Even kept it all quiet."

With a quick jostling of the rock wall next to the gate, Sunset found a small switch and unlocked the code box's power switch before continuing through the procedure of entering. "That was ten tears ago. I always assumed Celestia called a friend of hers because I was brought here the next day." She smiled as she stuffed the key into her pocket. "They tried to do the whole family thing, y'know, dining table dinners and game night. At first, their attempts were in vein because it just felt too weird, but after some time I enjoyed it and I have no problem thinking of them as my parents."

"And of your real parents?" Skyfall asked, stopping Sunset in her tracks. A cold reaction only meant negative memories, so Skyfall sighed and patted her shoulder. "So where do you think your foster parents went?"

Sunset stumbled for a moment and followed Skyfall. "Probably on vacation. Last I was here, they were discussing vacationing to the alps. I told them I wasn't too keen on freezing my butt off."

"What do they do?"

Sunset went to speak, but paused. "Uh, corporate something or other with warehousing." She waved her hand in the air. "I'm not really interested in their jobs. He has a high position in acquisitions and she is in charge of production."

"Nice." Skyfall said as he looked out at the yard, waiting for Sunset to open the front door, then for her to rush to the beeping alarm. With a firm pat on the back, Sunset quietly invited him in, but he didn't move.

"You okay, Sky?"

"Is it normal for all of your neighbors to be gathered by their front doors?"

"Huh?" Sunset said as she pushed passed her guest to see that her neighbors were in fact staring at her and Sky. "No, that's weird." She tried to wave at them, but they all faded from the windows when she did. "Freaky."

Skyfall backed into Sunset's house and pulled her backwards with him causing her to bounce on her feet as he did so.

"What was with the ominous pulling?" Skyfall asked.

"Just alarms going off in my head is all." Skyfall mumbled as he turned around and raised an eyebrow at the not to subtle entryway. two winding stairs lined the walls and lead to the second floor, forming the archway for the rest of the first floor.

Carefully, Sunset removed her boots and placed them into a basket with her cutie mark.

"Boots?" Sunset pointed to Skyfall's feet. "My mom does the whole Japanese thing and doesn't want shoes in the house."

"Oh." Skyfall leaned over and started to unlace his boots and paused with one boot off. "Wait."

"What?"

"Japanese?" Skyfall asked.

"Yeah, it's like our realm's word for Neighponese." Sunset shrugged. "I guess the translation was garbled."

"I guess so." Skyfall removed his other boot, ignoring the word usage and followed Sunset into her family's main living room. What he saw gave him pause. "Your house seems bigger on the inside than it does on the outside, much bigger."

"How so." Sunset looked at the house and then back to Skyfall, his lurching stomach caused her to giggle. "I think you might just be hungry, big guy. What do you want?"

"Tuna sandwich, if you got it." Skyfall said, but raised an eyebrow when Sunset began to look anxious. He eyed her and a smirk crept onto his face. "Yes?"

"I know we don't keep ready-made tuna pouches on hand so I'd have to make it from the can."

"You can't make food, huh?" Skyfall teased.

"I can!" Sunset proclaimed and caught herself. "But what's wrong with instant noodles?"

"Nothing." Skyfall chuckled as he turned to pass Sunset and flinched playfully as she punched his shoulder. "What? I said it's fine if that's all you know how to make. Noodles it is."

Sunset tried to act mad, but the uneven frown failed her.

After a few quiet minutes of getting the ingredients ready, Skyfall kept leaning over to turn the heat off of the uncovered burner. "Water in pot, pot on stove, then heat."

"Oh." Sunset said under her breath as she chopped a few scallions. She paused from her cutting and glanced over at Skyfall. "Do you know what movies are?"

"Yes?"

"Ah, I guess Equestria invented those while I was away. "Wanna watch one while we eat?"

"Sure." Skyfall poured broth into the instant noodles. He grabbed the ingredients Sunset was cutting and tossed them into the pot. "You like spicy ramen?"

"Yes, not hot, spicy." Sunset said. She spaced out and jumped when Skyfall held a fork full of noodles, wrapped and ready for her to try. She wrinkled her nose from the heat and tried them, blowing out the steam while she chewed. "Good. Did you use hot sauce?"

"Kinda, I added a tablespoon of dried red pepper and beat it until it was powdery." Skyfall whipped his hands on the towel he fastened to his belt. "I like spicier, not hotter. They often go hand and hand, but I use dried peppers when I can."

"What else do you like to do besides cook?"

Skyfall tried the noodles and nodded before shutting the heat off. With a fluid move, he displaced the noddles evenly into the bowls and passed Sunset. He ignored the questions and tip toed. "Movie time."


Later that night


"So, you aren't from this realm, yet you knew exactly what you wanted to watch?" Sunset asked as she removed the fifth installment of her realm's space drama from her television.

"I know what I like." Skyfall shrugged as the field behind Sunset's house lite up in the quiet storm that raged in the clouds above. Among the lights of the room and sky, Sunset's phone lit up again as it had most of the night. He watched as she rushed over and scooped up the phone before lazily searching the pile of movies in her television's cabinet. She turned back and produced a horror movie before smiling sheepishly. "Most of the time."

"The exorcism?"

A movie shifted from the pile and fell by her knee as she was knelt by the pile, silently debating what to watch. The title stood out to Skyfall, an almost phantom force forcing his hand up to point at it. The gesture drew Sunset's attention and an immediate 'ohh.'

"This is one of my dad's favorites. He always tries to get me to watch it, but I've never been interested." Sunset chewed her lip and read the synopsis on the back. "The Count of Monte Cristo. You know this story?"

"All too well." Skyfall said. "Very good story about revenge."

Sunset hummed and popped the movie in before plopping down next to him, only, she lost the balance she had as she rolled on her knee and leaned into Skyfall. Swiftly, she scooted away from her guest as he cast an amused glance at her.

"sorry."

Skyfall ran his hand through his hair and gestured to her phone. "It's cool, just make sure you tell Twilight and the others that you covertly tried to take advantage of me."

Sunset's face drained of color as Skyfall's words. "You knew I was texting them?"

"Of course." Skyfall gave Sunset a wry look. "I don't believe you slipped away from Princess Twilight without giving her a plan. You both anticipated me going out on my own and concocted a plan to keep me in sight."

With a quiet scoff, Sunset tried to play off the situation. "No, pshhh."

"So why are we stalling?" Skyfall asked, staring into Sunset's eyes. "And you receive texts sporadically, but there is always one at every thirty minute increment, like someone wanted updates on what was happening?"

With a hung head, Sunset sighed, she knew what she was doing was deceitful. The quiet chewing of chips forced her attention upward to Skyfall fiddling with the remote to get the movie started.

"It's not a big issue, Sunset. I know you're only doing it to make sure no one goes and gets hurt." Skyfall winked. "Can't get mad at that. Being concerned for others is a signal of a good upbringing."

Sunset huffed quietly at the words.

"Want to talk about it?" Skyfall asked.

"Not really."

Nodding without a word, Skyfall leaned back and draped his arm over the top of the large couch. He watched as the opening scenes played out, but felt a pillow hit his face. He looked over at a surprised Sunset. They sat in content silence for what seemed like forever until she was able to muster the courage to speak.

"Sorry."

"Why'd you hit me with a throw pillow?"

"I don't know. I'm surprised too." Sunset's hands were lapped over one another in her lap as she tried to keep transfixed on the movie. "I-ah, people usually try to pry, I didn't expect you to drop it."

"So you throw a pillow?"

"Yes?"

Skyfall sighed. "I didn't ask because it's your business and I respect you enough to not pry."

"Huh, that's weird." Sunset said. "You usually just blurt out what you think even if it bothers ponies, regardless of how they feel. I mean, you never seemed to care even when they got upset with you. Why avoid prying into my life?"

"Most beings have their entire life written in the way they conduct themselves; their mannerisms, how they speak, what they wear. Usually trying to portray themselves as being different. I just remind them that not everyone is fooled." Skyfall adjusts his sitting so he can look Sunset in the eye easier. "It's a useful tool to drive people away."

"Why would you want to drive people away?" Sunset asked, slightly unnerved at his intense gaze.

"Why indeed." Skyfall said. "Care to take a shot at figuring me out?"

"You're inviting me to profile you?" Sunset asked.

"Yep, many try, but they're always wrong." Skyfall said.

He watched as Sunset turned to him, like he was to her, looking him over. She cycled through her phone and texted for a brief time as Sky watched the movie. Every so often, she would open her mouth to speak, but would not in favor of more texting.

"You're afraid of getting close to someone in fear they might die?" Sunset asked.

"Not pulling your punches I see." Skyfall chuckled and shook his head. "No."

"You have trust issues?"

"It's healthy to have trust issues." Skyfall said, sipping the sugary drink his host poured for him. "Not the reason, though."

Sunset looked to the movie they had been watching just as the main character was being arrested and whisked off to what was known as the chateau d'if, a prison island. "You're afraid someone will betray you?"

Skyfall paused mid sip and remembered the people he let down in his life. "Close."

"Then I have no idea." Sunset sighed and leaned back. "Okay, do me."

After realizing how it sounded, Sunset sputtered and tried to correct herself and guffawed when Skyfall started unbuttoning his shirt, but winked when she heard him laughing mid-strip.

"I'm sorry, it was too easy." Skyfall grabbed the throw pillow Sunset threw at him earlier and crossed one leg over another. After living as long as Spirits do, he had picked up a knack for deductive reasoning like other observant Spirits had, it was an ability one had to work at, otherwise it would never develop. He looked over his host with a weary eye and took a slow breath. "You regret your past, but few don't. You're more secure with yourself than you have been in recent years, yet you still practice protective habits to shield yourself subconsciously. You're quick to anger because your parents were quick to anger with you as a child, teaching you it's okay to snap when something wrong happens."

Sunset's eyes opened wide at Skyfall's prediction.

'I'm being a jerk, I should stop.' Skyfall thought.

"How?" Sunset asked. She placed a hand on her mouth, believing it to be a trick. The quiet pause challenged Skyfall to go on.

"Then you entered Celestia's school for gifted unicorns and sought power, mostly because you grew up with nothing. Parents worked from check to check and your sights grew beyond your grasp. You came here and you can't form a relationship with someone because you're from another world and you know that ultimately they can't understand you." Skyfall saw Sunset becoming slightly upset, but he couldn't stop now that he was so far. "Ultimately, you want both acceptance and self validation, but feel like you can't have both. Aside from the friends you have, you eventually drive everyone away. Or, at least that's how you feel."

Sunset stood suddenly and tried to rush passed Sky, but froze when she was at arm's reach away.

When he was about to ask Sunset why she stopped, Sky looked to the movie and it too was frozen in time along with everything else; the rain, the ceiling fan, and even the bubbles in the drinks he and Sunset had.

"I've heard you can be very cruel at times." The shadow of a figure appeared in the archway that lead to the foyer. His body was ethereal, but his presence was ever looming, a chill wafting into the room from his direction. "I've been following you since-"

"Okay, can we cut the mysterious stranger thing. I've already dealt with it enough since I've come back." Skyfall chided. "Does everyone subscribe to mysterious stranger monthly?"

"She also told me your patience can run thin when it concerns participating in theatrics." The voice echoed around the room before a being leaned against the back of the couch where Sunset had been sitting much of the night.

Skyfall glared over to see a man in a neatly pressed, gray suit. His stance was messy and better suited someone tiredly standing in a line at a theme park. His eyes burned a cold yellow and what would be the whites of his eyes where a glossy black. "Great, more Spirits."

"Just me, Guardian." The man said. "I am merely a messenger."

"From Earth?"

"No. Her messengers found you your first night." The man gestured to Skyfall's pocket, making the contents inside glow. "I'm a messenger from up on high."

"The Maker?"

"Sure, let's go with that." The man nodded solemnly. "She beckoned me to watch as the pieces move across the board. I am here to deliver a message."

"Great, more messages." Skyfall rolled his eyes.

"You're in grave danger in this realm." The man said monotonously and dug in his pocket for a small note pad. He flipped through it leisurely and sucked his teeth. "She says that the life stream has become muddied and she can no longer see the time line as clear as she once had. Other realms have been poisoned to obscure this one. Much like your sister, she is unable to tell you who is behind this lest you reach her realm, but at this rate it may be too late."

Skyfall threw up his hand and scoffed. "Great. Any good news?"

"Sorry, Shattered Skies, but you know that isn't how this goes." The man said. "She instructed me to guide you so that you can not only remain alive, but continue moving forward. I told your little friend earlier today about the Aileron compound, but her timid insistence wasn't enough to spur you."

"why all this now? Why not just come to me when I first exited my exile?"

"Don't you listen?" The man asked. "The life stream is warped, your Maker can't see anything until an event gets closer to happening. I am here tonight to get you up and moving because another one of the other side's big players crossed the portal and is now here."

Understanding the meaning, Sky looked up to Sunset and was slightly saddened that he had dragged her and her friends into his problems.

"I do have some good news, however." The man rested his ice-like hand on Sky's, gaining his attention. "The Spirits that were locked here have no love for your siblings. They will help you, with a little convincing. However, it depends on you, if you can't shake them from their fear then they will flee. I have alerted the Spirit, Grand Shield, and he is making arrangements for anyone that could be used as a hostage; Your new friends, their families, etcetera. He is setting evacuations and countermeasures in place, although it may be too late for some."

"Would my siblings go that far?"

"They have in the past as you will soon find out." The man stood and sighed, letting a steamy, frigged breath of air escape his mouth. He looked to his watch that was stopped at ten minutes passed ten o'clock. "At midnight, your sister will show up at this house to capture you, but I am not sure if she'll stop here. The other Spirits in the neighborhood have fled, only few remain." He jabbed his thumb to Sunset, still frozen. "Her life may be in danger, Skies. I know you don't want anything to happen to her."

"So if you can see the future, why don't you come with me? With your help we could put an end to this." Skyfall raised an eyebrow at the man's flippant shrug.

"Your sister makes mistakes and I overheard her speaking to Crystal prep's head master. That's what caused our meeting." Time shimmered around them. "Looks like our time is up."

"So it would seem." Skyfall sighed. "How do I get to the Maker?"

"That will happen in time, Skies. You will know when it shows itself to you."

"She always was cryptic like that." Sky groaned, rubbing his forehead with both hands.

"A word of caution, Skies." The man's form started to fade from sight. "You must get home now." He dug in his suit and tossed a thin scroll into Sky's lap. "Farhaven, Ponyville, Cadance, Crystal, and everyone are in real danger." With a firm push, the man rose and paused. "And a word to the wise, Skies. I urge you to stop parading around like you have been and start taking control of things, unless you want to lose everything for a third time."

Skyfall looked to the Spirit and his eyes widened as a small noose hung loosely in his hand. "What's your name?"

As time started to resume, the man disappeared and any movement Sky could see was a white fox running out into the still storm before falling on his face and fading from sight.

Skyfall stood and saw that Sunset's gem sat on the coffee table. He looked at her moving against time as it became unglued, so he grabbed her hand just as time entered its natural pace.

"Let go." Sunset demanded.

Skyfall remained silent, he remembered the man's words. 'Her life may be in danger, Skies. I know you don't want anything to happen to her.' He was right, Sunset had grown on him over the past months. He felt like he could trust her as a friend, being tenacious and smart, yet tactful when she needed to be. Out of everyone in Celestia's Spirit hunting troop, she was closest to knowing the truth, but somehow remained herself in the face of what may have been Equestria's boogieman.

"Let. Go." Sunset tried to leave, but after a second pull, she turned around to push, only to find herself in a hug. "...Just. Let me have a moment to calm down."

Skyfall sighed. "I'm sorry."

Sunset rested her head against Skyfall's chest and shook it weakly. "No, it's my fault, I asked for it."

"Still, I should have been gentile. It was clear you were sensitive to the information and I pressed."

Sunset's breath caught in her throat from confusion and she looked up. "What is with you?"

The soft tapping of rain grew as the storm started to open the sky for a downpour with only that sound filling the room. Skyfall looked down at Sunset while she stared up at him, an inquisitive look on her face.

All of a sudden, the peace was interrupted by the soft tones of Sunset's phone. The song started with various instruments while being led by a saxophone. Both Sunset and Skyfall knew the song, it was the same one that played at the masquerade they both attended.

"Skyfall?" Sunset asked, letting the tone continue while still being held in his grasp. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course."

"Was that you at the masquerade?"

Quiet laughter was all the verification Sunset needed to wind back and strike Skyfall's chest. "Jerk."

"What did I do?" Skyfall placated.

"You knew it was me the instant you saw me, didn't you?" Sunset accused. "And then neglected to tell me literally this entire time. You just love keeping things a secret, don't you?"

"A little." Skyfall winked and noticed that Sunset's phone was ringing for its third time. "Sunset."

"No, we need to talk about your obsession with secrets, it's unhealthy. I'm not leaving you alone until we talk about it. I will break you of that habit." Sunset demanded as she folded her arms, forcing Sky's arms lower and around her waist. She tried to remain angry, but her attitude fell as she looked at Skyfall's incredulous expression. "What? Afraid of a little interrogation?"

"No, but this is now the fourth time your phone has gone off, it seems-" Skyfall stumbled as Sunset tore out of his embrace to race over to her cellphone. "-important."

"Twilight?" Sunset said as she picked up.

"Where have you been!" Twilight raged. "We were about to get ready to come over."

"No, me and Skyfall were just watching a movie." Sunset said, hearing Applejack laugh in the background, making it clear that she was on speaker. "We weren't doing anything."

"That's a guilty statement if ever ah heard one."

"What? No." Sunset said.

"Then why are you outta breath?" Rainbow asked.

"I had to break away from Skyfall to rush to the phone." Sunset's nature to tell things how they are bite her as the other side of the phone erupted in laughter. "Not like that!" She sighed and turned to Skyfall to get him to back her up, but she stopped when she saw that he was putting his boots back on. "Why are you putting those back on? "

"Put what back on?" Rarity teased over the phone.

"You stop it." Sunset demanded in embarrassment.

"Now Sunset." Twilight started. "You know Skyfall has a reputation..." She started to whisper. "Did he force you into anything? If he did, I will inform the Princess immedia-"

"No, Twilight, he didn't force me into anything." Sunset pleaded.

"Sounds like you enjoyed it?" Pinkie Pie asked, clearing furthering the illusion.

Skyfall strode over and leaned into Sunset, making her gasp in surprise. He breathed hard and wrapped Sunset's phone hold hand in his own. "Babe, let's get back to it, they're killing the mood. Bye, Twilight."

"Skyfall! you piece of-" Skyfall reached over and swiped his finger to end the call.

"Hey! How can I explain what really went down if you do that?" Sunset scowled at her guest.

"No time, they'll believe what they want." Skyfall said plainly. "We need to go, this place is no longer safe."

"What do you mean by that? No one knows we're here." Sunset stated. "We're in a gated estate inside a gated community. If that isn't secure and hidden away, then I don't know what is."

Skyfall stopped and gave Sunset a blank expression. "Your police force has Spirits in it, it isn't a far leap in logic to assume an enemy can find out where you live. Plus, I got a message from a Spirit a few minutes ago."

"You lie."

"Oh? Then who froze your soda?" Skyfall pointed to Sunset's drink that had turned to ice. He watched as she picked it up in astonishment. "Your house is no longer safe. We need to get out of here."

Sunset nodded. "Should I pack?"

"If you want, I don't know when it'll be safe to return, if ever."

"But..." Sunset looked to the house she spent ten good years in. She huffed as she ran a hand through her mane-like hair. "With the storm outside, borrowing my dad's car isn't too far out of the question. He shouldn't be mad if I explain it to him"

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

"So, you two really weren't." Twilight asked as she awkwardly pushed her hands together in different positions, causing both Sunset and Skyfall to raise their brows at her. "And now you say there are a few new Spirits to look out for, a mysterious messenger and a raging she-demon?"

"Basically." Skyfall said, still sitting halfway in Sunset's father's car, one leg in and the other on the road, cycling through the on board navigation map.

"Spirits can be inconvenient." Twilight sighed.

"Welcome to my world." Sky mumbled.

Twilight, Midnight, and the others looked around from the Driveway of Cadance's house, unsure of what to do next.

"What now?" Sunset asked.

"We drive to Aileron." Skyfall turned in his seat and rested his hands in his lap. "That is likely the safest place to be right now. You may hate the suggestion, but we should go."

"And what? Knock on the front door?" Twilight asked with a devious smile.

"Yes. How else would we get their attention? Sneak in?" Skyfall asked. He watched as the group before him milled about and shuffled their feet like a child being caught with candy. "It's no longer a mystery that you girls get into trouble."

"What if they want to hurt us?" Midnight asked.

"Then they would have done so already." Skyfall said. "I think going to Aileron now is the best course of action. No one sees it coming and we'll catch everyone off guard. That and we'll be safe behind that barrier. For a time."

The last words struck a cord with those present. Each one of the girls looked to one another before becoming transfixed on Skyfall as he nibbled on the edge of his thumb. Only a hand from Sunset to jostle his leg brought him out from his thoughts.

"Sky? That messenger had more to say than you told me, didn't he?"

"He did." Skyfall said. "But that information is for me, not you girls. There is a reason that portal was destroyed, he told me to get back to Equus immediately. Something terrible is coming and I have to be there to face it." He tapped the 'route' button to plot a course to the old compound. "The undead ponies, the broken portal, and this She-demon are meant to stall us. If we continue to let things distract us, we may not be able to make a difference."

"So what now? Still Aileron?" Rainbow asked.

"No, I think we should write to Celestia to see if there is something she can do." Twilight said. "Our mission is to meet these Spirits to get information about Shattered Skies as well as to find out what is really going on in our world. Or at least what they believe is going on. To tell them we need their help would put us in too precarious of a situation."

The words of the Spirit that spoke with Skies echoed on the wind for only him to hear. An urgent message of taking control to stop the descending path they were all on. He stood slowly from the car, causing it to rock gently. He stretched and groaned. "We're going to Aileron, Immediately."

"No, we need to come up with a plan." Twilight asserted.

"Then plan on the way. As we stand here, we're slowly being cornered." Skyfall's gaze bore down on Twilight. "I've been alive much, much longer than you have. You can't feel the noose tightening, but I can."

Just then, a soft boom could be heard reverberating through the earth as a cloud of dust and debris flew into the air, only visible in the repeated flashes of a now distant storm. Skyfall bite his cheek when he felt the wave, having lorded over the animal kingdom for such a long time, noticing echo location might as well have been as blatant and as obnoxious as a dinner bell.

Porch lights from each house turned on as neighbors came out to look for the origin of the boom, including Midnight's soon-to-be sister-in-law.

"Twilight, what's going on?" Cadance called to Midnight, using her real name.

"I don't know."

"That came from my neighborhood." Sunset said before the realization hit her. "T-That came from my house."

"I'm sorry, Sunset, but that was likely your house being destroyed." Skyfall said, earning gasps and shocked expressions. "The Spirit was able to find out your address after all. She'll be here soon."

"What!" Twilight and the others called.

"That boom wasn't the explosion, it was echo location. She is looking for the biggest magical signature and that's us. Furthermore, she knows we know." Skyfall pointed to Cadance. "Sorry for informality, but get your stuff and get to your in-laws now, forget clothes or belongings, just animals and stuff that isn't replaceable." She looked at him in confusion for a moment before he threw his hands up, he hated doing so due to her resemblance to his daughter, but it wasn't an option for her. "Now. Unless you want to be here when that monster arrives."

Skyfall turned to the other girls in the group. "Get your bags and get in your cars and follow behind Sunset's car. You have two minutes."

"Now wait, Skyfall." Twilight cooed, trying to remain calm, only to have an insistent hand placed on her shoulder by Pinkie Pie, quietly letting her know that he was right.

"I hate running." Sunset sighed.

"So do I, but there is a time to pick your fights." Skyfall said. "She is much stronger than a regular Spirit and right now she is enraged, likely from wounded pride."

Sunset looked over to see a different Skyfall than before, he was slightly larger and his hair seemed off, it was hard to see in the dim light of the street lamp, but it was longer and darker.

The girls ran out from the house and one by one the vehicles roared to life. Sunset plopped behind the drivers seat and drove at increasing speerd out of Cadance's neighborhood.

The drive was quiet, save for the random sheets of rain blanketing the area every few minutes. Police cars drove by with their lights on, not bothering to pull any of the cars over despite going well over the legal limit. Sunset linked everyone in a group call over the car's speakers so they could stay in constant touch with each other. Twilight bounced potential plans over the call only to be challenged by different members of the group.

Sunset looked to Skyfall while he sat, brooding out the window. Secretly, Sunset touched the hold button on the call so she and Skyfall could speak, privately.

"So, Skyfall." Sunset started, earning no reaction from her companion. Discouraged, she continued spell bound to break his mood. "I heard you have a daughter."

"I did."

Knowing that the possibility of treading on someone with possibly bad information was not the easier choice, nor the safest given the current circumstances, she felt the ever present drive to pursue the mission her former mentor gave her.

"That's odd." Sunset mused happily. "You told Mrs. Cake that you have one and that she's in her twenties now."

'What are you driving at, Sunset?' Skyfall thought before looking over at her. Try as he might, he could not remember the conversation she was talking about, he made it a point to befriend the Cakes whenever he went, mostly because he enjoyed their food. If he said he didn't and the talk happened, then he was a liar; if he accepts that he said he had a daughter, then it makes him suspicious for never discussing someone believed to be dead.

"I do, she doesn't live with me." Skyfall admitted. "I thought she and her mother both died long ago, but I was deceived. Both by Sombra and by my wife."

"She deceived you?"

Skyfall answered with a slow nod. "She deceived me and betrayed who she was."

The thick atmosphere of the car made it feel hard for Sunset to breath. She forced a smile and re-positioned her hands on the wheel. "Well, they're both back, surely that's good, right? You and your wife can move to mending your relationship."

The slow flood of emotion washed over Skyfall as he thought about everything that's happened. He stilled himself as he spoke, but his mind raced. "There's no mending what's broken. She moved on from me long ago, I believe she's back because she is chasing the past. Her and I try and there is love, but to be married again. It would take a very long time." He said. "As for my daughter. I'm taking foal-steps with her, most of the great years of her life were robbed from me; first day of school, first fish, so many firsts. Even giving her away at her wedding, stolen."

Sky's voice cracked before he coughed to stabilize his breath. "I'm happy to have had her find me, but I know she is disappointed with me somewhat, even if she doesn't say so."

Sunset glanced over to Skyfall and scoffed. "How is she disappointed with you? You have led an interesting life so far and you're, mostly, a good stallion." She held up a hand and started to count Skyfall's honorifics. "Guard Captain. Is known by foreign leaders, which I still don't get how a simple shipping captain can know so many, but I digress. You said you were engaged to Lady Fuji. And on top of all this, you're extremely well off in terms of luxury."

"Honorifics, status, and wealth were for me. I wanted to be more for her." Skyfall muttered.

"I think you're just having parental jitters." Sunset giggled at Skyfall's shocked expression. "You're a good role model for the foals you teach, I know; me, Twilight, and the others watch you. Your daughter probably adores you, and if not, she should."

Skyfall smiled at Sunset's compliment, his fears eased.

"And as for your ex-wife." Sunset shrugged. "Her loss."

Their destination neared as the manicured street gave way to decaying road, lined with dark forest. The talking that was constant had slowed to paranoid mumbling.

"Ugh, Skyfall?" Sunset called as they neared the broken, hanging gates. She stopped a few yards from the opening and sucked her teeth as she took in the darkened, deserted compound. "It looks abandoned."

"That's the idea." Skyfall undid his seat belt and stood up and out of the car amidst the headlights of his companions. Since arriving, storms battered the area making the ground soggy as proofed by the sloshing sound emitted from his boot as he approached the dilapidated gate.

With a firm hand, Sky pressed the gate. Sparks of energy shimmered like a rock falling in a pool before fading away. Through the headlights gaze, drops of rain began to appear, but not before Skyfall saw a callbox off to the side of the entryway.

"What now?" Rainbow Dash said, jogging up from the next car back. "Look at the place, it's decayed beyond belief."

Skyfall looked at the compound and saw black rot everywhere. Old dirt on the walls and wood that was nearly eaten away with rusted barrels spread around. Trees and foliage slowly consumed everything. Had it not been for Skyfall's touching of the gate and keen eye to pick up on a new callbox, he would have been fooled as well.

"Rainbow, that callbox near you. What does the interface say?" Skyfall said, pointing.

"Callbox?" Rainbow looked around.

"Directly to your left." Skyfall said, as he did, she jumped as one would at seeing something appear before them suddenly.

Hesitantly, she looked it over. She blurted out the specifics of the flat screen with a number pad to the right, encased under a clean, steal hood. It looked out of place next to the decades old compound. "It says 'provide key.'"

"Is there a hole for a key?" Sky asked.

Rainbow looked around the device and Applejack had already made her way to the box and looked around it. "No."

"Hey, he asked me." Rainbow scowled playfully.

"Rainbow, last question." Skyfall walked to them and pulled the stolen phone from his jacket pocket. "Did you see the call box before I pointed it out to you?"

"No." Rainbow said. "It was dark, so I might have been focused on the forest more."

"Not likely. Only people who know it's here can see it, I pointed you to it so it appeared." Skyfall thought outloud.

"So, how did you see it?" Twilight asked, being ignored by Skyfall. When he did, she moved to walk toward him, but Sunset put her hand up to stop her.

"No entry without a key." Skyfall mumbled, cycling through the phone. He moved through the settings, the familiarity of a phone finally returning to him. He arrived to the phone's number at last and looked to the callbox's options. A tagline for security and secrecy is, and will always be, simplicity.

The speaker on the box crackled to life. "Key accepted."

"You opened the gate?" Twilight asked in disbelief. "How?"

Skyfall shoved the phone in his jacket. "The phone number is the key."

The gate's unseen locks clattered away and the iron doors moved, taking with it an orange light to ween a hole in the magical field. Along with the barrier, the illusion melted away showing a much more up-kept facility.

"Let's go." Skyfall walked and sat in the car, meeting eyes with a very unsure Sunset. She roared the car to life and eased herself into the dimly lit facility. Moments ticked by as the convoy of vehicles circled around and slowed by the first large building just inside the entry.

"So do we knock?" Sunset looked around. "No one's here."

"Except for the guy standing with the umbrella in the shadows." Skyfall said, making Sunset jump when she saw who he was talking about him. "Pull up and stop next to him."

"Skyfall, you sure that's a good idea?"

"Yep, he is here to greet us." Skyfall saw the huge grin on his face as the car slowed to a stop in front of him.

"It's not every day we get celebrities to come visit us. Having a Princess visit us is quite the honor." The dark man said as he held out his hand. "We usually do this at a quarry on the outskirts of town, but-" He paused and caused his eyes to glow a ghostly white. "-Method of payment?"

Skyfall removed the runes from his pocket and placed them in the man's hand. "These were given to me in an effort to get me to find you through whatever trials you set up. We no longer have times for such things, we need to speak with Earth immediately."

With a solemn shake of his head, the man sighed. "That is unfortunate. I can not allow you to stay in that case. As I'm sure you remember, the higher order has to do things a certain way. I will have to-"

The man's speech slowed as he squinted, unsure of who he looked at. Golden eyes bled through darkness telling him all he needed to know about the Spirits before him.

The man sighed and rubbed his neck. "Sir, I'm duty bound to prohibit the entry of new Spirits without passing the test."

Skyfall reached into his pocket and clicked on the phone he had taken from Adagio. He swiped a few times and gave up before placing the phone in the man's outstretched hand. "If merit doesn't open the door, how about a returned item?"

Magic light left the phone as the man held it toward's his own phone. He sighed heavily and hung his head, apparently aggravated at the situation.

"With everything going on lately, I think I can make an exception for your party." The man grabbed Skyfall's outstretched hand affectionately and whispered. "Welcome back, Sir."

Sunset started to roll forward before eyeing her companion. "What was that about?"

"What was what about?"

"The hand touching, thing." Sunset said. "And him saying "Welcome back, Sir?""

"Jealous?" Skyfall teased before the car passed over a small bridge and through another barrier, revealing a well lit compound with a stunning night sky, clear of any and all light pollution. The car rolled to a stop in what looked to be the parking lot.

"Wow." Sunset muttered as she beheld an aurora in the sky that shown vibrant hues and tones. Her gaze came down to look at the compound itself. The dry, cracked exterior of the Aileron Communications center had been transformed into new buildings, some with art and others without. Banners and lights were strewn about the grounds. She and Sky stood up from the car, trying to see more of the sky. "This is-"

"Different?" Skyfall asked as he himself looked around before meeting the gaze of a tall, bronze colored man. He smirked and lite up a cigarette as he strode toward the parking cars.

"I take it you didn't fancy our little test." The man boomed before reaching for a handshake. "I'm Crossroad."

"You must be the one that gave me the runes." Skyfall shook the Crossroad's outstretched hand. "Given the circumstances, I couldn't participate in your little ritual."

The man laughed heartily. "After the scare you gave the girls, I don't imagine you would have even if you had all the time in the world."

"Scare?" Twilight asked as she walked up, earning a questioning glance from Cross. She tugged on Skyfall's jacket to get his attention. "You said you ran into them and that you found Adagio's phone?"

"Is that what he told you?" Cross asked, amused at Skyfall's discretion. He jabbed his finger at the second largest building on the premises. It was decorated with a large, stone bear out front that held thousands of carved names over its form. "He chased them like a man possessed through the maintenance tunnel and then scared them so bad they haven't left the HQ since. They've been on a very short leash since that little stunt at the school, but no one thought they would be called out and hunted like they were."

Twilight squinted at Skyfall, silently letting him know that she would be speaking with him later. She turned to Crossroad and smiled as wide as she could in an attempt to seem friendly. "I apologize for my friend's tenacity. We've been trying to find the Elemental named Earth and are somewhat desperate."

'Smooth, Twilight.' Skyfall thought.

Cross took out his phone and tapped out a message before shoving it back into his jean pocket. "Earth has been well aware of developments in this realm and who chases you. She is eagerly awaiting you." He waved to a pair of guards from across the parking lot. "Those gentlemen over there will take you to Earth."

Skyfall stepped off to walk, but Crossroad's hand rested on his shoulder.

"Not you, big guy." Cross said. "People here think you're a Spirit hunter and are a little hesitant to see you. Once your companions finish, then you may see Earth."

Skyfall backed up a step and waved at the girls while they wore a worried expression. "It's okay, I'll catch up soon."

"You better." Sunset said before making her way to the guards.

With hands still waving, Crossroad and Skyfall stood on the sidewalk smiling at the leaving girls. A quiet chuckling was heard from Cross as his hand fell to his side.

"Thank you for the distraction, Cross."

Cross peered over, his joy now gone. "Imagine all of our surprise when three Spirits burst into HQ saying that they were just attacked by a Spirit Hunter with golden eyes."

"Yeah well, Earth wasn't listed in the phone book, so."

Crossroad scowled at Skyfall and scoffed. "Earth has demanded to see you first. Alone."

Author's Note:

Life is getting back to normal after hurricane Irma, so writing hopefully picks up.

I will be adding a new story for Shattered Skies with side stories, slice of life tales, and general silliness that happens in/out of universe which will be outlined per section/chapter. The side story isn't too pertinent to the actual flow of this story so I'm leaving it out so there isn't fluff with this one and so it can stay cleaner.

I love reading theories in the comments, much of them are pretty close but I cant specify which ones.

Only a couple chapters left until Sky leaves the human world. This part has been a long time coming so please be patient, I have been reediting and revising like a psycho. :twilightsmile:

PreviousChapters Next