• Published 26th Jan 2015
  • 18,205 Views, 1,945 Comments

Shattered Skies - Arctikfox



Shattered Skies has lived much of his life tending to his forests, but after he was betrayed by a princess he trusted, all he wants to do is to live a normal life even if the world tells his otherwise.

  • ...
112
 1,945
 18,205

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 29 -Tradition-

-Tradition-

The train bound for Mont Saint-Mare lurched as it left the final stop before heading off to its destination. With the Gala's commencement, Skyfall felt uneasy. The quiet clacking of the rails beneath the train droned out much of the chatter of passing ponies, leaving him to silently reflect on his many of the uncertainties for the coming night.


As a result of the Grand Galloping Gala’s changed location, Skyfall had to alter his plans. Originally, he was going to reveal Farhaven and then escape from the commotion while pretending to kidnap a pony that looked similar to Skyfall, but Mont Saint-Mare was quite literally a fortress, and escaping according to his plan would be nearly impossible.


Skyfall sighed as the train neared the castle. He looked out the window and Saint-Mare grew larger with each passing moment. It had become painfully obvious that in the time since Luna's banishment, Celestia had become guarded by means of national security, and Mont Saint-Mare was readily made into a self sustaining super-keep.


Three soft knocks echoed throughout Sky’s train car, snapping him out of his thoughts. He shifted inside of his dark silver armor and reaffixed the small blue cape that blanketed half of his form. The cape’s silver trimmings glistened in the light as he leaned back into his seat.


"You there, Sky?" Nimbus asked as he opened the cab door.


"Hey." Skyfall murmured as he slid over to the window to make room for River, Nimbus, Sif, Honos, Akia, and Inko, who each swiftly entered the car.


"What's up?" River asked. "You disappeared from the group like an hour ago."


Skyfall suppressed a chuckle. "Nothing, just thinking about what needs to happen tonight."


A silent moment passed over the car as a pair of guards passed their door, laughing to themselves while they joked about a pony they had just caught eating tubs of jelly in the bathroom. Skies looked up to River and gestured to his ears.


River's eyes glowed and a light mist formed from the air and permeated the train cabin. "No one can eavesdrop anymore."


"Good." Skyfall reached into his ornate, decorative armor and pulled out a list of attendees. "Have you all had a chance to read the guest list?"


"What list?" Sif mumbled, trying to peek over his shoulder.


"We didn't get one." River said.


Skyfall rubbed his temple gingerly. "Maybe I got one because I'm 'in charge' of security?"


Everyone shrugged, Skyfall shifted in his seat and turned to the rest of the car. "Then we'll run through it now. It shouldn't be a surprise that with an extremely long list of attendees, some familiar faces would appear. And by familiar, I mean old. And by old, I mean Spirits..."


"What's wrong, Sky?" Nimbus noticed Skyfall's hesitance in speaking.


Skyfall leaned back and ran his hoof over his face. "Do you guys remember a Spirit named Sakurajima?"


Nimbus groaned while everyone silently mulled over the name.


"The volcano Spirit?" Sif asked. "Fuji, right?"


"The very same. She is in the delegation from Neighpon." Skyfall deadpanned. "And that means she'll recognize me when the Princess greets her."


"Ouch." Nimbus chuckled. "Wait, you're going to be with Celestia?"


Skyfall raised an eyebrow. "It was either me or Fury, and Fury has seniority, so I got stuck with standing next to her like the good little guard I am."


Akia raised her hoof. "So when things inevitably go south, what is the plan?"


Low chuckling rose in the air in response to Skyfall's indignant look. "Things only go south for a reason, usually to my benefit. But to answer your question: when things hit the fan, everyone except me is paired off. Inko goes with Honos. You two will get back on the train and make it look like you snuck away for some 'quality' time. Nimbus goes with Akia. There is a gathering point for VIPs and you both will be welcome there, considering Nim is my second in command. Sif goes with River. Chances are everyone will be too focused looking for signs of me that you two can slip around virtually unnoticed. I trust you two to gather information on anything suspicious."


"That's a dumb plan." Sif grumbled. "You're left virtually defenseless."


Skyfall smirked and shook his head. He brought his hoof to his chest and a soft golden light started to radiate under his hoof. When he pulled his hoof away, the Sunset Effigy appeared before him.


"So that's where it’s been." Nimbus mused.


"After all the disasters this thing has caused, I'm not letting it out of my sight." Skyfall said monotonously.


Akia looked the effigy over. She saw the solid, amber ball giving off a faint light. She focused and saw that it was covered in elaborate silver fittings and wondered what she was looking at.


River shook her head. "That thing is too dangerous, Skyfall."


"I know." Skyfall agreed. "But considering the caliber of the players out tonight, I think having a hidden trump card is something we need."


"If you think it will help, then I stand behind your decision." River said solemnly. “I just don’t like being too close to that thing.”


"What does it do?" Akia asked.


Silence enveloped the train car. The group looked to one another and then to Skyfall who held the ball in his lap. Skyfall took a deep breath and levitated the orb up above his head, and it began to shine brightly with the same golden magic that Skyfall possessed. "In short, it's a conduit.”


Skyfall paused and slowly allowed the orb to enter his chest once more. "Maybe this story is meant for another time."


Everyone nodded in agreement. As they did, the train slowed and its piercing whistle cut through the air.


"I think we should go and join the others." Sif said. "If we're gone too long, things will look fishy."


"Good plan, I'll meet you at the castle. I have official Skyfall stuff to do." Skyfall stood and made his way out of the cab as quickly as he could.


"He still hasn't changed." Akia shook her head.


"He's getting there." Sif stood and stretched. "He was a wreck for years, but recently I notice he's starting to talk and move like the old Skies did."


"Hopefully our luck will continue to improve." River opened the door and waved for everyone to follow.


Back in the main VIP car, Fluttershy sat by idly running her hoof along the window frame. Her mind had been consumed by more intimate thoughts as of late. She couldn't think straight, nor could she stay fixed on a conversation without drifting off into her fantasies. Even now she was deep in thought.


"Are you okay, Ms. Fluttershy?" Dr. Wolf asked, having been seated in front of her for nearly the entire ride. He chuckled as Fluttershy snapped out of her stupor.


"Yes, I'm sorry. Were you asking me something?" Fluttershy asked sheepishly.


"No, but I was observing you." Dr. Wolf smiled. "Have you spoken to him?"


Fluttershy's eyes darted around. "Spoken to whom?"


Dr. Wolf gave Fluttershy a knowing grin. "So why haven't you spoken to him? From how you say he acts around you, it seems like he may be receptive to you more so than others."


Fluttershy fiddled with the hem of her gold-trimmed amber dress. Though trying to play it cool, Fluttershy’s nerves finally got the best of her. "I don't know. What if I'm rejected?"


Dr. Wolf shook his head. "I do not believe he would reject you. He has some history with bad relationships, but just show him that you're there for him, and I believe you two could become something good."


Fluttershy nodded and was startled by Sif as she leaped over the back of the chair and onto the seat next to Fluttershy. "What are you two whispering about?"


Before either of them could answer, ponies began filing out of the train. The low rumble of talking turned into a soft roar as everyone stood up. Sif looked up to notice that Dr. Wolf had gotten up to talk to a nearby guard while Fluttershy was staring directly at Sif.


"Well hello there."


Fluttershy smiled weakly. "H-Hello, Sif. Have you seen Skyfall?"


"He's off doing 'top secret' Skyfall things. Which means he's probably off eating chips and drinking out of a coconut."


Fluttershy nodded slowly. "Oh okay."


"Why?"


Fluttershy hid behind her hair. "No reason."


Rarity had been waiting at the door of the train for Fluttershy, but quickly left when Sif signaled her to give them room. Sif looked around and rested her hoof on Fluttershy's shoulder until they were the only ones left in the car.


"C-Can I leave?" Fluttershy asked meekly.


"Not yet." Sif cooed and turned to her timid acquaintance. "May I be blunt?"


Fluttershy nodded slowly.


"How do you feel about Skyfall?"


Fluttershy started to whimper out a reply, but Sif cut her off. "And none of this 'he gives me butterflies' nonsense, be honest with yourself."


Fluttershy closed her mouth and tried to sort out her emotions for a good minute before attempting to answer. "I feel happy when he comes over for tea and sad I'm sad when he leaves. Since he walked me home before Hearth's Warming, I don't know what to feel."


"Do you love him?" Sif asked while she turned away to look forward solemnly.


"What?" Fluttershy asked in surprise.


Sif turned to the Pegasus and looked her in the eye. "I asked 'Do you love him?'"


Fluttershy blushed. "I-I wouldn't say l-love, but I do certainly have feelings for him."


Sif took a long, deep breath. "IF you found out that Skyfall was a notorious pirate, wanted by nations around the world, would you stand by him?"


Fluttershy paused and gave Sif a thoughtful look. "It depends, did he hurt anyone?"


Fluttershy winced as Sif patted her on the head. "I think you're a keeper. I suggest you stop pussy-footing around and start pursuing Skyfall before one of those other mares get to him."


"Other mares?"


Sif nodded. "Yeah, didn't you know your lover-boy is a hot commodity?"


"L-Lover boy?" Fluttershy choked out as Sif trotted away.


"For what it's worth, I think you two would be a perfect match!" Sif called before disappearing off the train.


Fluttershy looked out the window at the ponies walking to and fro as she slipped back into her thoughts. She had never considered Skyfall's past. 'What do I do if he really is a bad pony?'


Mont Saint-Mare garden


Skyfall sat on the high balcony of Saint Mare's central castle and patiently listened as a resident mouse chattered at him. He was regaled of the mouse’s adventures trying to recover grapes for his family when the chef chased him off with a broom.


"Mr. Mortimer." Skyfall interrupted. "I must ask. Have you heard anything weird in the castle over the past few weeks?"


Mortimer reared up and tapped his chin thoughtfully. He nodded and scampered up Sky's armor and onto his shoulder, filling him in on the information he sought.


"So there are Spirits here already, and they planned a trap?" Skyfall looked and saw the little mouse's head nod vigorously. "Did the planners see you?"


After a small pause, Mortimer nodded again.


"Thank you, Mortimer." Skyfall sighed and picked him up off his pauldron. "You should move your family immediately, this island might not be safe after tonight." Worried chattering sang from Mortimer, but Sky shook his head. "Please, do not worry. There is a large suitcase on the train, and inside there is a daisy sandwich. Help your family aboard and feed them, it is probably best for you to come to Farhaven with me."


Mortimer smiled and bowed graciously after being placed on the neatly cut grass.


"Why is it that whenever you end up in a castle you always seek out the garden first?" Luna chuckled as she glided in behind Skyfall's resting form. She smiled at Skyfall as he watched the sunset from the balcony and a mouse scurried away from him. Luna nudged Sky with her hoof, but he was unphased. "What's wrong?"


"Tonight is not going to end well."


Luna nodded and pressed herself against Skyfall. "I know, but that doesn't mean we can't have a little fun."


A quiet moment passed by before Luna pulled away and grabbed Skyfall's head with both hooves. She turned swiftly and shoved her face into the side of his neck and blew raspberries, forcing Skyfall to laugh. He writhed about for a few moments and wrestled himself from her grip. Skyfall then turned the tables on Luna by wrapping her in his wings, threatening to tickle her from multiple angles.


"You wouldn't." Luna challenged.


"Doth the lady believe that I haven't the fortitude to bring everlasting torment to thine sides?" Skyfall threatened playfully. He sat back on his haunches and lifted her up and into a hug. "I could disable your magic for a few minutes and we could sit here, you being tickled and me laughing maniacally."


Luna rolled her eyes and rested her head on Skyfall's shoulder. "Ah, the famed hug attack."


Skyfall chuckled and set the night Princess down onto her flank. "Oh, that's not good."


"What?" Luna asked.


"Close your eyes."


Luna squinted and did so slowly. She felt Skyfall moving her mane to place something by her ear.


"And we're done."


Luna opened her eyes and slowly brought her hoof up to feel a flower on her head. "What did you do?"


Skyfall waved his hoof over the lawn and summoned another white rose. "I remember how much you liked blue lilies when you were a filly, you always thought they were the neatest present."


Luna smiled sweetly. "I always wondered why, but I came to that realization years ago." Luna nudged Skyfall. "You always did take care of us, even when we were being brats."


A smile crept onto Skyfall's face as he walked towards the main castle. "I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about."


"I... remember a big stallion coming to see Celestia and I when we were growing up, though he often kept his face covered." Luna started with a calm, airy tone. "He had a pair of piercing golden eyes and he always smelled of freshly turned soil and rainwater."


Skyfall hung his head with a small smile while Luna crept up next to him.


"He would come around and teach me and Celestia things; cooking, cleaning, and how to live full lives. He told us about all the things our parents never got the chance to." Luna leaned in closer. "My earliest memory of him: I remember him finding us in a pantry before being carried out of a smoldering city on his back."


Skyfall squeezed his eyes shut. "How long have you been able to remember that?"


Luna nuzzled Skyfall's cheek. "I was freed of the memory block five years ago by the Elements of Harmony. I feared I would never get a chance to thank you, so in case I don't after tonight." She planted a delicate kiss on Skyfall's cheek. "Thank you for saving me and Tia."


"It has always been my honor." Skyfall started up a small set of steps. He smiled back at Luna as she waved before teleporting away.


"You two seemed cozy."


Skyfall rolled his eyes as Rainbow walked out from the shadows before him. He spread his wings and flew up towards one of the skyports.


"Hey! I'm talking to you!" Rainbow Dash jumped and flew after Skyfall, catching up to him in mere moments as he dipped and dodged around spires to avoid her.


"Rainbow, I'm very busy, so if you don't mind." Skyfall flapped his wings faster, but his attempt to escape was in vain against Rainbow’s superior flight skills. She dipped and weaved after Skyfall like a small bird mobbing an Osprey. "Land!"


"Mighty persistent tonight, aren't we?" Skyfall called as he flew straight up.


"I'm tired of the games!"


"So am I!" Skyfall groaned. He beat his wings harder and harder until he reached a large, flat cloud. He snapped his wings shut and zoomed through the darkness while Rainbow struggled to keep sight of him.


"Come out!"


Mont Saint-Mare Inner Ballroom


A lone guard strode into the ballroom. Fury wanted checks done every five minutes through the halls in a rotation to keep the party as secure as possible. Two Thirds of Canterlot’s entire guard force of was present and active in Saint-Mare, and had been for a full week.


"Are there any reports of suspicious activity?" Sunset asked after she teleported into the room, wearing a simple white dress.


"None, Madam Inquisitor." The guard gave a curt nod before disappearing down another hallway.


Sunset Shimmer huffed and mimicked the guard. "None, Madam Inquisitor. Ah! I hate that word."


"Something wrong, Sunset?" asked a voice from behind her. Twilight Sparkle made her way through the crowd of waiting staff as they scurried to make sure the enormous ballroom was properly set up for coming party.


"Twilight? I didn't see you there." Sunset smiled sheepishly.


"I just got here. Is everything alright?"


Sunset nodded weakly. "Yes, I'm just trying really hard to keep Shattered Skies from being able to interfere with the Gala."


Twilight giggled. "I doubt that he will show up, Sunset. Last we saw of him, that bull was chasing him into the forest. I doubt he's dumb enough to show up, and even if he does..."


Sunset watched as Twilight brought her hoof to her chest and pulled the fabric away, revealing her Element of Harmony.


"We have a little surprise for him." Twilight smiled. "Princess Celestia knows a spell to force the Elements to activate. If and when he shows, she believes he'll appear where everypony can see him, and that's when we strike."


Sunset slumped. "Why didn't I know about this?"


Twilight patted Sunset's shoulder. "A question I brought to Princess Celestia. She told me that it was better for you not to know because that would give you more of a drive to root him out and make him show himself."


Sunset nodded silently.


"She trusts you, Sunset, but Shattered Skies needs to be... captured." Twilight said.


Sunset caught Twilight's hesitation. "What do you think about the matter?"


Twilight looked around with a weary look and started to walk toward one of the empty corridors. Twilight tilted her head for Sunset to follow.


"Is there something wrong, Twilight?" Sunset whispered.


"I don't know." Twilight said. "But the last time we tried to apprehend Skies, I cast a spell to gather information on the magic Skies was using to prevent us from capturing him, but I didn't get the outcome I was expecting."


Sunset smiled. "Finally, some data." She swatted Twilight's shoulder. "And here you are hoarding research material."


Twilight gave Sunset a sad look. "That's the thing, there is none."


"Say again?" Sunset asked.


"Shattered Skies didn't cast any magic that prevented the Elements to fire, they refused to fire on their own." Twilight lamented. "I've searched for a reason, but no matter how much I scan and research, I come to the same conclusion."


Sunset ran her hoof over her face. "But the Princess has a spell for this, right?"


"That's just the thing. What if they don't fire because Shattered Skies doesn't need to be stopped?" Twilight rubbed her temples and looked around once again to make sure they were still alone. "Every time we see Skies, he politely tells us to leave and then disappears. There are no confirmed cases of him committing any crime-"


"The museum?"


"-Okay, there was the museum heist, but even then he didn't hurt anypony."


"He almost killed Skyfall." Sunset reminded.


"That was Storm Front, not Shattered Skies." Twilight stated. "I just want somepony to explain it all to me instead of having this endless amount of questions."


"Well, if the Princess is right, he'll show up soon or later and then you'll have your answers." Sunset thought aloud as Skyfall shot past them followed by an angry streak of blue.


"Get back here!"


"Uh-oh, she found him." Twilight mumbled.


In The Airspace above Mont Saint-Mare


"Rainbow, I think it's time to knock it off. I have stuff to do." Skyfall called back, but found that Rainbow was reaching for his hooves to throw him into a tailspin.


"Not until we talk!"


"Fine." Skyfall shot his wings out and angled himself as Rainbow shot past him. Sky snatched her hoof as she passed and caused her flight path to zigzag as she tried to straighten out.


"Hey!" Rainbow glared back, but found that Skyfall was gliding toward the rooftop courtyard. She scowled and mumbled to herself. "You better talk to me this time."


Rainbow swooped down to the floor and landed harshly. She looked around and saw Skyfall leaning against a railing to watch ships from the many visiting nations begin their docking procedures of rolling up their canvas and throwing out mooring lines.


"So you wanted to talk?" Skyfall sighed.


Rainbow shuffled her hooves. She opened her mouth to scold him, but found it shutting against her will instead.


A moment of apprehension passed over Skyfall when he looked at Rainbow. He had tried to avoid her and give her reason to stay away, but in the end it was obvious that his efforts had opposite the intended effect. 'Nothing is going right for me in this age.'


Skyfall sighed and pushed himself off the railing and found Rainbow standing in front of him. "Don't leave."


"Rainbow, I think it's best if you just pretend I don't exist." Skyfall closed his eyes, not wanting to make things worse than he already had. He felt two hooves slam against his chest. He looked down and saw Rainbow hitting him with soft thuds as the metal armor hit the leather layered beneath. "Rainbow?"


"Shut up." Rainbow mumbled and looked up. She was never one to show emotions, but it was easy to see something was bothering her. "I want to know the real reason you haven't been talking to me."


Skyfall gave Rainbow a sympathetic grin and grabbed her hooves. "I don't hate you. Sif tells me whenever you ask, and I guess the fault is mine for letting you think that."


"But why?"


"I know your type of personality." Skyfall shrugged sadly. "You are two faced, but not in a backstabbing kind of way."


"Yeah? Well backstabbing is all that comes to mind when I think of two faced." Rainbow mumbled from under her bangs. "I feel like you're making all this up just to cover up how you don’t like me."


Skyfall sat down and leaned against the banister. "Rainbow Dash." His use of her full name grabbed her attention long enough to see his sad expression. "I don't hate you, I am just reluctant to befriend someone who is so desperate to prove herself. You're afraid of looking weak to the point that you will lie to avoid it. What if you and I fell in love? You would be a loving partner behind closed doors and a cold companion everywhere else. You may even complain behind my back about spending time with me to make yourself seem even more desirable."


Rainbow's mouth opened and closed a few times and Skyfall continued.


"Tell me I'm wrong."


Rainbow slumped. "I just wanted to be friends."


"Sif told me you wanted more than just that." Skyfall admitted. "But don't be mad at her, I've known her since she was small and she would tell me anything."


Dash started to pout. "Mrs. Cake was right."


"Right about what, if I might ask." Skyfall quizzed.


With a long sigh, Rainbow lamented. "She said that I should just be honest with you."


Skyfall laughed openly.


"What?"


"Mrs. Cake fits the profile for you perfectly, Mr. Cake described her when they dated in their younger years and your attitude fits her to a T, so it isn't a surprise that she told you the quick fix." Skyfall laughed harder at Rainbow's shocked expression. "Let me guess, you just envisioned yourself with forty pounds of baby weight?"


Instead of denying Skyfalls assumption, Rainbow just grumbled to herself some more.


"You aren't bad when it's just you and me." Skyfall mused.


"I'm not bad, period."


"Oh really?" Skyfall challenged.


"Yeah, really!" Rainbow flew up to Skyfall's face and flew right into Skyfall's armored hoof. She yelped and rubbed her nose. "That reminds me, I have a few questions for you."


Skyfall nodded. "Then ask."


"Where is that armor from?" Rainbow gestured to Skyfall. "We were talking about it on the train the instant you left. It looks really old, but also really special for dress armor."


Skyfall looked down. "Well first off, this isn't dress armor, it's real armor." He ran his hoof over the vine-like designs that the Alicorns etched into the enchanted metal and smiled. "Some good friends made it for me a very long time ago, I bet it's still a top shelf item, even today."


"Can I?" Rainbow held her hoof out to touch his chest and did so at his silent consent. She ran her hoof over his form and up over his pauldron. "Why does it make my hoof tingle?"


"The armor is enchanted with fire protection. It has some rudimentary protection for a lot of things, but none more so than fire." Skyfall cooed while lifting his arm to reveal small gems in the shoulder that had been hidden by the armor’s fold. "These gems relay the enchantment."


"That looks expensive." Rainbow chuckled.


"It is. I'm sure you could put a down payment on the whole of Canterlot with this just for its historical value." Skyfall smiled. "It has a helmet too, but I won’t need it for tonight, hopefully."


"Why do you say that?" Rainbow asked, absentmindedly. "Do you think Shattered Skies is going to show up?"


Skyfall looked Rainbow in the eyes. "Yes, and when he does, do not fight him."


"Why?" Rainbow chuckled. "I can handle him, plus I've got this."


Skyfall watched as Rainbow pulled her dress aside to reveal the Element of Loyalty on her chest. He stepped back as it glowed at him.


"That's weird." Rainbow mused and moved closer to Skyfall, making it glow brighter. "It's never done this before."


Skyfall backed away, it was common for a fallen Spirit's element to glow when near another Spirit. He laughed nervously to himself. "Well, loyalty is very important to me. Maybe it likes me?"


Rainbow nodded and squinted. "Yeah, maybe."


"There you are!" Captain Fury called from the ground, prompting both Rainbow and Skyfall to peer down at him and his entourage. "You two! Stop doing the nasty, get dressed, and get down to where you're supposed to be!"


"We aren't doing that!" Both Rainbow and Skyfall called.


"Then why are you both sweating and panting with messed up clothes?" Fury laughed.


Rainbow sputtered. "I was chasing him!"


"Uh-huh." Fury called in a sing song voice.


Skyfall rolled his eyes. "You caught us, Captain. Don't worry, if we have foals I'll name the first one after you!"


"Skyfall!" Rainbow shrieked.


"That's my stallion!" Fury cheered. "Posts, now!"


Skyfall put a hoof on Rainbow's mouth as she started her string of insults. "Shh." He watched as Fury disappeared behind a corner and looked at a very upset Rainbow. "You're in the Wonderbolts reserve, right?"


"Y-Yeah?"


"Well in the guard, they have a darker sense of humor. He knew we weren't doing anything and was just messing with us. If someone plays jokes like that, the best thing to do is to joke along so it doesn’t escalate." Skyfall whispered as he stretched his wings and fixed his armor. "You should probably fix your dress though. It does look like we had a pre-party roll in the hay."


Rainbow sputtered again. "Why are you being so casual with me?"


Skyfall took a deep breath. "I’m sorry would you like me to be mean again?"


"So are we friends?" Rainbow asked hopefully.


"Not friends." Skyfall said and noticed Dash's immediate slump. "But as long as you don’t pursue me like you’ve been, I can at least talk to you like a normal pony."


A small smiled graced Rainbow's face.


"See you at the party." Skyfall took off gently from the ground and started his way towards the massive center structure of the walled city before calling back to Rainbow one last time. "But really, you look like a hot mess!"


Rainbow laughed into her hoof. "That jerk."


Unbeknownst to Rainbow, there was a familiar cloaked mare in the shadows watching their entire conversation. She chuckled and disappeared into green flame.


Mont Saint-Mare's Grand Foyer.


"There you are!" Celestia chirped as Skyfall appeared in the doorway. The sudden exclamation drew the attention of the entire room. Celestia smiled down the steps at her guard Captain as he ascended gracefully. "I take it the sights of Mont Saint-Mare haven't been too alluring for you. I would understand if they were, however."


Skyfall chuckled as he neared. "No, Princess. Just merely getting a feel of the old girl."


"Oh, so you're into old girls now?" Celestia hummed.


"One or two might have caught my eye, but alas, the city lacks the proper entertainment." Skyfall teased.


"Well then, what could be done to liven the city up to your tastes?"


"A lot of biting and whining." Skyfall smirked when Celestia choked on her breath.


"Skyfall!" Celestia scolded quietly.


"What? You were thinking it." Skyfall proclaimed. "And so was Applejack, weren't you?"


Applejack was standing behind Skyfall frozen in step when her name was called. "How'd you know I was here?"


Skyfall glanced back. "You smell like cinnamon and fresh cut wood."


Celestia looked around and tried to regain her regal demeanor now that she was caught talking in such an uncouth manner. "Greetings, Applejack. How are you this evening?"


"I’m okay." Applejack sat awkwardly, unsure if she heard everything correctly. "I've been hunting down my date for the better part of the hour."


Skyfall smiled sheepishly. "Sorry, got busy."


"Mhm." Applejack smirked and rolled her eyes. "Now that I found him, I'm going to follow him everywhere tonight."


Celestia held her hoof to her breast. "My Applejack, I had no idea you and Skyfall were together."


"No, Princess. You have the wrong..."


"It's nice to see that you've found somepony to get along with. I bet you two will have beautiful foals together." Celestia chirped and lowered her head to Applejack's. "Though, I must warn you. Once you have a child, you may never get your pre-pregnancy body back, so have fun with it while you can."


"But..."


Celestia clapped her hooves. "So much good news tonight!"


Skyfall nudged Applejack's shoulder and shook his head, discouraging her from setting things straight for their Diarch. "Let her believe what she wants tonight. We have more important things to be concerned with."


"If you say so."


Celestia turned and waved at Skyfall demurely. "Go and have fun, Captain Skyfall. I won't keep you and your mare from enjoying this night for such a boring task."


Skyfall bowed. "By your word, Princess."


Applejack opened her mouth to protest, but found Skyfall's wings wrapped over her and directing her to the open doors behind them. The low roar of approaching guests drowning out her pleas.


"First, the Honorable Lady Fuji of the Eastern nation of Neighpon!" The court crier called the instant Sky and Applejack disappeared from sight.


Skyfall sighed and looked around at the non-VIPs walking around the grand hall. Most of the building was mixed well, so bridging the awkwardness of entering a group that wasn't your own wouldn't be too bad. With a sharp inhale, Sky smirked at Applejack and patted her on the back. "Ready to mingle?"


Applejack smiled up at him nervously. "No."


"Well, it won't be that bad." Skyfall smiled sweetly at Applejack's fidgeting before she smiled at someone who approached from his blindspot.


"Well, I'll be. I thought you two were off looking for them crystals." Applejack beamed.


"They were summoned by the princess, she thought Sombra could help." Twilight spoke more, but the words were drowned out by the dull roar as Skyfall slowly craned his neck to look at the stallion and mare beside Twilight.


The mare was instantly recognizable as Radiant Hope, the same filly Shattered Skies had met over one thousand years ago in the Crystal Empire and who pleaded with him to help her ailing friend.


"-silly me. You two, introduce yourselves!" Twilight chirped.


"Hello, I'm Radiant Hope!" The small plum mare waved happily before nudging her friend.


The ballroom was a blaze of light and noise as Skyfall's eyes met the dark stallion's smiling face.


"Greetings, you must be Skyfall. I was told to come and find you so that I may help you for the night. I am Sombra." Sombra bowed. "It is a pleasure to meet you."


"You."


Shortly after the disappearance of the Crystal Empire in the Frozen Wastes


Snowstorms can be blinding. They can whip and shred your skin with ice and wind until you bleed. Skyfall raced through the tundra with what remained of Celestia's forces. They tried to keep up, but Skyfall's speed and the need to find Crystal and Anara were too great, and as a result, the guard soon fell out of sight.


The disappearance of the Empire took with it the last lead Sky had on his family and on the stallion that took them away. He taunted Sky as the Empire evaporated, saying his daughter was gone and soon his wife would be too.


Silently, Skyfall begged and pleaded with the Maker to spare them. The freezing air burned his lungs, but a dull, blue light radiating from the mountains gave him hope and newfound strength, so he continued pressing deeper into the wastes.


As he neared, he could see a fading light leading into a cave.


"No!" Skyfall screamed as he ran into the cave. His legs felt weak and shaky, not from the exhaustion or cold, but at the sight that burned into his memory. His wife laid on the cold, red snow, barely able to lift her head. Were it not for the blood surrounding the mare, her white coat would have been indistinguishable from the snow, aside from the honeycomb on her flank.


"H-Hey." Honey Bee choked out from her broken form as she looked up at him with her piercing green eyes. Her golden hair had been blown around as if she had been thrown with great force.


Skyfall quietly walked to his wife and cradled her in his arms as her horn's magic sputtered out. He stroked her mane. "No." Skyfall barely choked out.


"Shh, it's okay." Honey smiled up at Skyfall as tears flowed freely down both of their cheeks.


"Please, no." Skyfall sobbed quietly.


Honey placed her hoof on her husband's neck and weakly pulled him into a hug. "Don't give me the waterworks, crybaby."


Skyfall hugged Honey tighter as he felt the life leaving her. "Maker, please... I can't..."


"You can." Honey Bee looked up and kissed Skyfall on the cheek. She smiled and sank a little in his arms, the cold no longer noticeable to her. "It's why I married you."


Skyfall cradled Honey as she tried in vain to smile. "You're everything to me... I love you so much."


"I love you more." Honey nuzzled Skyfall one last time before her head slowly fell into Sky’s chest with the remains of a small smile.



No roaring anger erupted from Skyfall. No pleas, no threats, no bargaining or denial of the situation. Skyfall held Honey and cried long and hard, letting his emotions die with her. He wept in that cave for long after the snowstorm passed. Eventually, Sif managed to find him, and help him bring Honey's body back to the Vale.


Skyfall would be numb and reclusive from this incident for many years, until one Princess requested that he take her under his tutelage.


Present


"You." Skyfall growled with an intensity that startled many of the nearby partygoers.


"Me?" Sombra asked nervously, backing away. "H-Have we met before?"


Skyfall stood and turned with his face contorted in rage. Applejack and Twilight spoke, but his ears had already flattened in an aggressive manner. Every inch he took forward was another inch Sombra stepped back.


"Skyfall?" Twilight spoke again. "Are you okay? Hello?"


"Everything okay, Sky?" Sif asked as she muscled herself into view. She traced Skyfall’s eyes to who he was glaring at and cursed. "Oh no."

Author's Note:

Spirit guide


Art by FluffyMunchie


I'm sure some of you wonder about Skies' involvement with the Alicorns from the time before. He isn't special in the respect that he knew the alicorns well, all major Spirits knew of them and were mostly on good terms.

The Alicorn capital of Artorias was renowned and became the center of the ancient world. Within the city was one of the portals to the space where the Spirits held their council meetings, that was until the Alicorns requested that it be sealed to keep from unauthorized intrusions into the capital.

Skies and Luna do not have any romantic feelings for each other. I know at times it may seem as if they are too loving, but it is only in a platonic way. He wants her to do well and live a happy life, both as his charge and as his ex-student. She sees him much in the way Twilight views Celestia, but with more love than reverence.


Battlefield 1 and Civ6, trying to consume my life.

Comment/like if you enjoyed. :yay: :heart:

PreviousChapters Next