• Published 26th Jan 2015
  • 18,233 Views, 1,945 Comments

Shattered Skies - Arctikfox



Shattered Skies has lived much of his life tending to his forests, but after he was betrayed by a princess he trusted, all he wants to do is to live a normal life even if the world tells his otherwise.

  • ...
112
 1,945
 18,233

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 13 -Happenings-

-Happenings-

Big Mac looked at the train schedule held in his hooves. Having arrived early to the station, he decided to take a seat and wait. In the more private moments of his life, Big Mac slipped into deep thought, often leading ponies to think he was either shy or just plain dumb.

Selling apples for a living could be a taxing practice. Some days the apples outsell the stock and on others they go to waste. In short it was a very unstable business that solely depended on the appetite of the customer base on any given day. For generations, the Apple family sold their namesake and have gone so far as to export to major cities seeking the 'organic' label in exchange for charging a premium.

A hefty sigh escaped the stallion's lips as he shifted on his bench.

The Apples were born into their lives knowing they would be bound to a farm and that fate was sealed when they received their cutie marks. Big Mac clearly remembered the day Applejack left the farm to go to Manehatten. He had rested his head on Granny Smith as his dear sister shrunk into the distance. The gesture wasn’t founded out of worry, but rather it was Big Mac trying to hide his anger. Anger over how he was stuck on that farm and anger because since the age of ten, he was perpetually the rock for his sisters to lean on for support of any form.

Big Mac held up his hoof and examined it, scars and cracks criss-crossed the hardened skin underneath the fur.

The life of a farm pony was one many Earth ponies were restricted to. Due to their genetic disposition, the only other primary option was a guard in the Equestrian military, something Big Mac knew he could never do because of his familial responsibilities. As a guard, he could sent his bits home, but then his sisters would have to manage the orchard without him. No matter how you sliced it, Applejack was not a one-mare workforce, and with Granny Smith in retirement and Apple Bloom being in school, the farm wouldn’t survive long without him.

Big Mac had been in deep thought for so long that he missed the train whistle and the ponies offloading the train. He stared at a spot on the floor until two claws wrapped around his neck.

"Deep in thought again?"

Big Mac shook himself from his daze. "H-Hey, Gilda."

"Hay’s for ponies." Gilda said as she hugged Big Mac, her feathers bristling as he returned the awkward side hug. "What were you thinking about?"

"Oh, nothing." Big Mac rested his head on Gilda's, earning weird glances from passing ponies. "Just the usual."

Gilda traced her claw on Mac's neck. "It's cute when you lie."

"Ah didn't lie." Big Mac said before she placed her claw on his lips.

"You were thinking about me in a bikini, weren't you?"

Big Mac gave a breathy laugh. "Guilty."

Gilda shivered suddenly and started panting, startling Big Mac.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, I've been a little sick lately." Gilda said weakly. "I'm hungry too, so food would be nice."

"You want to go to The Hayburger?"

"They still got meat?" Gilda asked.

"Eeyup."

"Good, cause I'm going to shove my face into the biggest meat I can find, your treat." Gilda tickled Big Mac's ear with her long lion's tail, making him as stiff as a board. "If you like, we could just skip the meal and go straight to dessert."

Gilda looked at Big Mac closely. "Ugh, your red coat makes it so hard to see if you're blushing."

After a quiet moment, Gilda kissed Mac on the cheek. "Come on, lover boy."

"G-Gilda, what about keepin' our relationship a secret?" Big Mac asked. "Ya said it'd be best for now."

"Eh, I'm horrible at it and Rainbow Dash knows about us." Gilda sighed. "Plus, it's a little late for secrets."

'What does that mean?' Big Mac thought as he caught up to his girlfriend. "How is the rebuilding going?"

"It's going great, daddy found some good help to rebuild the kingdom. As of last month, the last remnants of the divided kingdoms were swept away and united under one banner. In short, there is now only one king."

"Your father." Big Mac gulped. "Does he know about me?"

"No."

Big Mac nodded and looked at the ground as he walked.

"Not on purpose, Mackie, I just haven't told him because he is in meetings all the time. Though, there are members of daddy's court that know about you, like Horizon." Gilda chirped.

"Who's that? That doesn't sound like a Griffin name."

"He is the Captain of the Yellow Squadron, and you're right. He's a pony. He saved my dad a few times and he trusts him with my life, so I guess he earned his place amongst the Griffins somehow." Gilda hummed lightly. "Daddy never tells me about his private life. Grandmother says it's for a reason, but I hate secrets. That's why I'm terrible at keeping them."

"So, how long are ya stayin' in Ponyville this time?"

Gilda gave Big Mac a weak smile. "I thought I would stay for a good while, I'm not sure how long."

"Well, ah'm more than happy to hear that." Big Mac smiled.

"Your sister won't be."

"What makes ya say that?" Mac asked, only to have Gilda's claw push his face forward. "Applejack?"

"Hey there, Big Mac. Gilda." Applejack scowled from her booth.

"Hey, Applejack." Gilda deadpanned. She ruffled her feathers and sighed as she stared back at the apple farmer. "Is there a reason you're scowling at me?"

"There a reason ya got yer tail around my brother?"

Big Mac stepped between the two of them and glared at Applejack, clearly tired of her antics. "There is something we gotta discuss later, and this time we will finish our talk."

"You ain't tellin' me squat, Big Mac." Applejack huffed and stormed away from her stand.

"Get back here, Applejack! Y’all got customers to take care of!" Big Mac shouted. He knew she left and stuck him with the stall. As long as it didn't hurt anything, Applejack would often let her temper take over and remove herself from little spats like the one she just had.

Big Mac turned to Gilda, with his mouth open like a fish. "I'm sorry, Gilda, I can't leave mah family’s stall unattended."

"It's okay, Mackie." Gilda patted her red farmer on his behind. "This way I can watch you work those big. Strong. Sweaty. Muscles." Gilda punctuated every word with a claw tap on Big Mac's legs.

Big Mac rose an eyebrow and leaned closer to his lover. "Well, if ya want to see me work, I can go slow and give you the proper instruction."

"Make sure to be thorough, sometimes I need a good workout." Gilda pecked at Big Mac's ear. "If you think you can handle it."

"A-hem."

The interruption snapped Big Mac and Gilda from their flirting.

"S-Skyfall?"

Skyfall deadpanned, avoiding looking in either of their directions. Big Mac was awestruck and Gilda was clearly embarrassed if the claw covering her face was anything to go by.

"I can explain."

"No need... Mackie." Skyfall lightly teased. "I know flirting when I see it."

Big Mac sat silently, a war raging inside him. Gilda didn't like keeping their relationship a secret, but many ponies wouldn't understand. He was left with the options of; telling ponies and risking the family business being affected, or keeping it a secret and risking Gilda being upset. His silence was shattered by Skyfall's deep laugh.

"You're an odd stallion, Big Mac. Introduce me to your mate."

Big Mac smiled, an invisible weight falling from his shoulders from another's unconditional acceptance. He coughed to clear his throat. "Skyfall, this is Gilda, my... er... marefriend."

Skyfall took Gilda's outstretched claw, but didn't shake it. "It's been some time since I last met a Griffin, especially one so fierce."

Gilda's expression lightened. "I see you aren't all talk, big guy. Most ponies lie about meeting Griffins and fail at the compliments."

"I spent some time in Griffin lands, and I made it a point to learn the customs." Skyfall said happily.

Gilda nodded before bitterly adding. "Then that makes three ponies."

Skyfall sensed the tension and shrugged off the remark. He knew there was tension between the nations, but first meetings aren't a place for politics. "I knew Big Mac was seeing somebody, but a Griffin? It fits."

"How'd ya know?" Big Mac asked. "And how does it fit?"

"You sigh a lot whenever I see you, and you space out while looking at letters when you think ponies can't see you." Skyfall said matter of factly. "And you're quiet, you need someone to... what was it- work those big, strong, sweaty, muscles?"

Gilda was trying to keep her laughter down while Big Mac avoided eye contact with Skyfall.

"In any case, I'm happy for you two. We'll have to have you over for dinner some time, I need the company." Skyfall placed some bits on the table. "Thirty Gala apples."

Big Mac retrieved the apples and bagged them as he tried to continue the conversation. "Ah thought you and that white mare were a thing."

"Sif?"

"I thought her name was Crescent?" Big Mac asked.

Skyfall shook his head. "It's actually Sif, but you know who else shares that name."

Big Mac nodded. "Right now, I wouldn't wanna be associated with that either, ah can't blame her." Big Mac nuzzled Gilda. "So, you're sayin' you're single?"

"And not looking, yes." Skyfall stated, crossing another item from his list before someone shoved him. "Sif?"

Skyfall and Sif held a quiet meeting as Gilda and Big Mac talked.

"Who are these two?" Gilda asked.

"They moved here a few months ago." Big Mac said before adding. "They like to keep to themselves and have few friends, but they're good ponies. "

Gilda nodded, this must be the stallion Rainbow Dash vented about in her letters.

Skyfall turned to the couple. "I'm sorry you two, something has come up and I must see to it."

"Nothing serious ah hope."

"No, just a small mess." Skyfall added before trotting off towards his house.

"Well that's good." Big Mac hummed.

Gilda sat and looked over to Big Mac. "Want to do something special tonight?"

"Like what?"

"I want to relax in the forest with you, doing nothing but watching the stars." Gilda having obviously planned something. Unfortunately, Big Mac had to shoot her down.

"We can't."

"And why not?" Gilda's question was brimming with sass.

Big Mac stepped away from the stall and brought Gilda close. "The forest has been off limits for months. Remember, a while back Shattered Skies was spotted and saved some foals including mah sister-"

"And they restricted it cause he saved foals?" Gilda asked.

"Yes, but-"

"I think it's just paranoia, sweetie. Plus, we're just going to walk in the forest, not destroy it." Gilda added. "My father's advisor told me not to worry about him and just to respect his forest."

Big Mac looked into Gilda's eyes, she was set on spending time with him. "Fine, for you."

Big Mac turned and looked back. "But we gotta keep it secret, okay?"

Gilda pursed her beak and zipped it. "My beak is sealed, lover boy."


"Okay, so tell me again. Why are they tearing down my trees?" Skies groaned as he flew through the forest towards the badlands to the east. Sif had rushed to the market to inform her master that Diamond Dogs were invading the forests until they met her and her kin.

"They need them to stick into tunnel walls to keep them from caving in." Sif said.

"Did you kill any of them?" Skies asked.

"No, but they almost died of fright."

"I'm guessing you and your pack haven't been in Equestria for a while?" Shattered asked.

"No, we've been in the plains and mountains outside the reach."

Skies nodded and slowed to a walk as he exited the forest. He saw where the Dogs uprooted the trees and where they were cutting them down into pillars. Their work area was between a small mountain and the Everfree, the entry to their tunnel clearly visible in the side of the mountain. Wolves were walking in and out of the large bore that glowed from a fire within.

Quiet ran up Shattered Skies and bowed. "It's good to see you, m'lord."

"Quiet, I haven't seen you in some time. How have you been?" Skies’ cheery mood uplifted the wolf's spirit.

"I've been scouting the lands near Canterlot, m'lord." Quiet rose when Skies tapped her shoulder. "Lady Sif rotated us so we don't get complacent."

"Wonder who taught her that?" Skies chuckled as he walked and glanced at Sif. "Now, Quiet, tell me what is going on."

Quiet took a deep shaky breath. "Earlier this morning on one of our kin's routes, we heard the chopping of wood. We checked up on it, and saw that Diamond Dogs were destroying the forest with no offering whatsoever."

"Really? And what did they do when they were confronted?"

"They dropped their tools and backed away before they were herded into the group you now see in the center of the plain." Quiet pointed to the group in the distance. "Sif asked them some questions and they requested to speak with you."

"Oh?" Skies asked. "Well, let us not keep our captive audience waiting."

Shattered Skies pretended not to notice, but the instant he exited the treeline, all the Diamond Dogs stared at him. He stopped a few feet from the supposed leader and looked down, with a look of contempt. The leader looked up and gave a defeated sigh. Skies looked him over, observing the leader’s golden groomed coat, graying trimmed muzzle, and jeweled collar.

"First." Skies said, making all the dogs except the leader wince in fear. "I am not here to destroy you."

"No one said you were going to destroy us." The lead dog gruffed out, trying to sound respectful.

"No, but you were thinking it." Shattered Skies said firmly, having seen that look long enough to know it instantly. "I am here to know why you are destroying trees I planted over a millennia ago."

"Like I told yer giant fanged companion, we need them to keep our ceilings up."

Skies raised an eyebrow. "What is your name?"

The older Diamond Dog stood on his hind legs. "I am Chance Iron-paw, 46th in my name and leader of my clan. Or what's left of it, rather."

"Iron-paw?" Skies repeated. "I knew the first 26 of your namesake, your clan has made offerings to me in the past, why not now?"

"We have nothing to give but our lives and our gems." Chance said, his long golden coat standing on end. "The forest is too dangerous to live in and other nations drove us to these badlands. Even the Equestrian soldiers have taken to offering us protection for payment."

Skies figured the last bit of Chance's statement meant extortion and not actual protection. "Do you go to see Princess Celestia or Princess Luna?"

"We can't even get into Canterlot." Chance said quietly. "Let alone plead our case. I doubt she even knows we're here."

"And what of your living conditions?"

Chance looked to Shattered Skies cloven hooves. "Deplorable."

Skies turned to look at Quiet who nodded, confirming Chance's answer. He looked back to the Diamond Dog and lowered his head to meet Chance's gaze. "Show me."

Without another word, Chance turned and led the Forest Spirit towards the mountain. The walk was brief, but the short distance didn't blunt the impact of what Skies saw.

The mountain that the Diamond Dogs called home was hollowed out and looked like a strip mine as the chasm went both up and down in levels. Families of Dogs sat in front of their run down homes that were bore into the walls as Sif's wolves walked around from place to place checking for possible dangers.

Only one hole in the ceiling allowed for natural light, the rest was done with torches that filled the cavern with a burnt, smoldering smell. In the center of the destitute mine sat an obelisk with paws etched into its sides.

"Good to see that Diamond Dogs can still make impressive feats underground." Skies mused.

"Thank you for the compliment, m'lord." Chance said. "But this used to be an iron deposit and our kind were forced to dig it out, we made it like this as a tribute to the ones we lost."

"How many?"

"A little over a thousand, we lost a third of our population making this mine."

"I heard fairly recent, that Diamond Dogs attacked some ponies that the Princess watches over." Skies referenced the Elements, trying not to be too specific.

Chance growled at the reference, causing two wolves to turn and growl back before Skies shooed them away.

"You growl. Why?" Skies asked.

"Those Dogs misrepresent our kind. They belong to a thuggish group of barbarians that do nothing but lick each other's butts and eat their own puke."

"There's good and bad in all walks of life." Skies said monotonously.

"Yes, m'lord, but we suffer for it." Chance added and pointed to a cart of bodies covered in dirty, blood stained rags. "When they enslave ponies, the ponies come for us and seek retribution by stealing gems. When we fight back, we lose. We aren't fighters, m'lord."

"I know. You create, you forge." Skies walked towards the exit and waved for Chance to follow. "The ponies that attacked you, were they guards?"

"No."

"Families of the ponies that were enslaved?"

"No, m'lord."

"Then mercenaries." Skies stated.

"We aren't sure." Chance said, walking on all fours next to Skies.

"It was mercenaries, whoever is attacking you wants you scared. Otherwise you would have been driven out or worse."

As Skies made his exit, he stopped by a family of Diamond Dogs. The family was made up of varying breeds, but all belonging to shepherds. The youngest pup was standing on her father's shoulders, trying to see the Forest Spirit.

"Lina, get down!" The father scolded.

"But dad!" Lina whined.

Skies stopped and nodded at Chance to bring the family over. Within seconds, the family walked over to Skies and bowed in respect, except Lina who limped pitifully and stared in awe at Shattered Skies glowing golden eyes.

"Is this the first time you've seen a Spirit, Lina?" Skies asked.

"You know my name?" Lina's mouth continued to hang open.

"Yes." Skies patted Lina on the head, making her giggle. Up until that point, the family had been extremely tense, but the youngest pups giggles tore the daunting image Skies brought. He bopped Lina on the nose. "I hope to be seeing more of you all."

Shattered Skies smiled at the family and turned to continue out of the dreary hole followed closely by Chance.

"What happens now, m'lord?"

"You're moving out of this hole." Skies said, an edge of anger clear in his voice.

Chance's fur ruffled and he squeezed his eyes shut. Unseen to him, Skies waved away Sif's wolves that rose in retaliation. "I'm sorry, m'lord, but there isn't anywhere else suitable to go. The north will freeze us to death and any closer to a pony civilization will be met with our end."

"Is that your final decision?"

"It is, m'lord, I must defy you if it means the end of us." Chance opened his eyes and looked into Skies' piercing gaze.

"Good." Skies said and nodded to Sif.

"Good?"

"Yes. You're selfless when it comes to your people." Skies sat down and lifted Chance's head. "I know what they say about me. If you can stand up to who you believe is a soul eating monster, then you're a good Dog."

"You said the Everfree was too dangerous right?"

Chance nodded.

"How about this?" Skies grabbed a stick and started drawing in the rough, chalky dirt. "I will allow you safe passage to a mountain range near the Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters. You can build yourselves a new home to live in, safe from invasion. Clear out the trees in front of where you make your entrance and use it for your tunnels."

"And in return?" Chance asked hesitantly.

"Twenty percent of what you dig up." Skies said nonchalantly.

"Deal." Chance held a shaky paw in front of him, the desperation clear on his face. With a firm shake, Skies watched Chance turn and chanter into his den.

"You sure this is a good idea?" Sif asked.

"Yes." Skies said. "The Everfree scares the ponies, but it can be home to them."

"I heard how you melted in that pup's paws." Sif prodded playfully.

Skies smirked. "Yeah, I'm a sucker for cute pups. Though her cuteness isn't what got me."

"Oh, then what was it?"

"She was missing a leg, I noticed it when she limped over." Skies said calmly, a quiet rage filling him. "If a new home in a scary forest keeps them safe, then who am I to deny them that?"

A thunderous roar and howl echoed from the cave.

"I'm guessing they approve?" Skies asked no one as he glanced at Sif. "I'll clear the way, give them an escort every fifty feet or so."

Sif hummed. "Yes sir, Mr. Pushover."

Sif stood and waited for Chance as he lead the families out of the mine. The Dogs were ready in a matter of minutes, and carried their belongings in small bags, showing how little they truly had.

Chance bowed. "After you, Lady Sif."

Sif rolled her eyes and walked into the forest as the Diamond Dogs ooh'd and aah'd at the trees moving to accommodate their large group size. She stopped and looked back at the hesitant dogs as one limping dog bounced past her into the forest.

"Lina, get back here!"

Lina was scruffed by large fanged jaws and placed on a furry bed, or so she thought.

Sif smiled at her. "This will go faster if you just take a seat and enjoy the ride."


As the day went on, an emergency meeting was called at Twilight's castle to join the princesses, Elements, and key members of the royal court for a reason Twilight had yet to piece together.

"I'm sorry for the sudden meeting, everypony." Princess Celestia said as she strode into Twilight's map room followed by her assistant, Raven. "I have received some horrible news and I felt it appropriate to share with you immediately."

The Elements looked at one another before looking back to their Princess. Twilight swallowed hard and closed her eyes. "We're ready, Princess Celestia."

Celestia's horn glowed. The table came to life, but instead of the Equestrian map being visible, it only showed Ponyville and its surrounding lands. She summoned tiles and placed on the table. "Captain Fury."

"Thank you, Princess." Fury stepped forward, the red color of his coat radiating across the room. "Before I start, your highness, where are your other advisors?"

Celestia smiled as her assistant, Raven, shot up and whispered to her. "Faithful is tending to some dignitaries, River Bend is holding a meeting with the three trading guilds, and I'm not sure where Graves is. As for the rest of the court, we're all present."

Twilight turned her head as she tried to listen closer.

"Something interesting you, Princess Twilight?" Fury asked sternly.

Twilight smiled sheepishly. "Just curious."

"Just like you, Shining Armor." Fury glanced over to the old Captain of the Guard as he looked over the map. He smirked and rapped his hooves on the stone surface.

"It's good to know all your information before going in, isn't that right, Fury?"

Fury scoffed. "We all don't have the luxury, nor the familial ties to make one's self a prince."

Shining scowled at Fury's obnoxious comment, but Applejack dropped her hoof onto the table.

"Colts, you're both pretty, but ah think we're here for something."

Fury looked to his Princess before being shooed to continue. "Right, I'll cut the fat. We have reason to believe that Shattered Skies has made his first major move."

The map changed locations to a small mountain between the badlands and the Everfree, everything was normal until Fury was given a small black crystal. When he placed it on the table, it reacted by humming loudly as it changed the image to show smaller figured standing still.

"Earlier today, Shattered Skies and his wolf companions overtook a Diamond Dog mine before forcing them into the Everfree."

"Do we know what his aim is?" Shining Armor asked, looking at all the information as it was given to him. He spent years as a royal officer, studying many subjects, but no subject more than military strategy.

"He's either building an army or he just marched them to their deaths. All his wolves have to eat somehow."

Princess Celestia looked at the figure that represented Shattered Skies, but she wasn't the only one. Luna too looked at the figure of Shattered Skies, but unlike the silent rage Celestia held, she felt sorrow. Sorrow for an advisor, a mentor, and a friend.

"Has anypony tried talking to him?" Luna asked.

Before the cacophony of snide remarks erupted about the Forest Spirit, Twilight rose her hoof. "I did when we met him in the castle ruins."

"And what did he say Twilight Sparkle?"

Twilight levitated a notebook that she had brought with her looked inside for the right information. "He said that everything that was said about him is a lie and that after that day we should never enter his forest again."

Captain Fury scoffed. "Blatant lying, does he think we're that stupid?"

Luna sat in silence, prompting Fury to continue. "After our setback at the ruins, we can't rely on the Elements anymore."

The instant Fury finished, all of the elements sprang up in protest, except Fluttershy who rebelled by protesting silently and Pinkie Pie who was fighting her tea time.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Rarity sputtered.

"Yeah, what are ya sayin'? That we ain't reliable?" Applejack asked.

"Yeah, what's your problem!" Rainbow shouted.

Twilight just looked her mentor with teary eyes, a feeling of failure racking her body. "Princess, are you saying we aren't allowed to help? That I'm not allowed to help?"

Celestia smiled. "That isn't what I'm saying Twilight. This is actually my fault, I was foolish to believe that the Elements would seal Shattered Skies. Artifacts like the Elements are hard to understand, he may have discovered how to disable them long ago."

Twilight remembered how confused she was when the Elements failed to ignite and tried desperately to understand where they went wrong, even going as far as to use them on dark magic crystals. In the end, she couldn't wrap her mind around why they failed, no one could. Everyone except Rainbow was worried, she chalked it up to it being a fluke before declaring their victory the next time they met.

"Well, they sealed Discord, didn't they?" Rainbow asked.

Twilight perked up at Rainbow's question. "Speaking of which, where is he? I bet he could find Shattered Skies in no time, they're both Spirits."

"Discord has very little to say about the subject." Princess Celestia said bitterly.

"Oh, I wouldn't say that." A draconequus body lanced through the room shortly before Discord rested on the root like chandelier to Twilight map room. "I could talk about him all day long, I just don't want to."

"And why is that, because it's fun to watch us panic?" Rarity deadpanned.

"No." Discord's uncharacteristically firm tone drew the eyes of the room as he levitated to the table. "I could tell you everything I know and you wouldn't be any closer to catching him."

"Personal experience?" Rainbow goaded.

Discord's claw ran down his his stomach to a thick patch of fur and with one glide upward, revealed a small scar four inches wide. "Personal experience, my dear."

The room fell silent and was broken by Discord's cough. He turned to Celestia who simply stared back. "I will offer my words again. You should leave him alone and stop pursuing him. It will only end poorly."

With that, Discord disappeared back into his dimension.

"He has been spending more time there lately." Fluttershy said to no one.

Fury grabbed the unit tiles and started placing them in key locations. "Alright, we're setting up posts at these locations to keep a lookout for any forest activity. Once we find his lair, we'll reconvene to make a plan of action."

Shining nodded in acceptance. "And until the time comes when we do?"

A neat pile of scrolls was placed before the Crystal Prince.

"We'll be bolstering the guard here in Ponyville." Fury groaned. "It isn't the wisest, but it's what's been agreed upon."

"That's right." The Mayor said quietly. "We can't expect to uproot the entire village and turn it into a fortress, like you so eloquently suggested."

"Ponyville has, is, and always will be a hotspot for trouble." Fury pulled a large scroll from the pile that sat in front of Shining Armor and read through it. "Nightmare Moon, Discord, Tirek, Shmooze, The Trotting Dead. You name it, and it's been to Ponyville."

Fury took a deep breath and scowled. "Not to mention home to the Elements of Harmony, the tree where they came from, and one of Equestria's own Princesses. Had it not been for this fact, I would relocate and raze this region. No more problems."

"Captain Fury!" Celestia snapped.

Fury bowed. "One thousand apologies my grace, but it is how I feel. To me it is the most direct and effective course of action. Not to say I will do my job of protecting this place any less."

"A little more restraint in your words would be appreciated. I support free speech, but insensitivity can hurt just as much as a strike." Celestia chided.

"Understood, your grace."

Cadance placed her hoof on the table. "Captain Fury, you mentioned you'll be bolstering the Ponyville guard?"

"Yes, Princess."

"What does that mean exactly?" Cadance asked hesitantly.

"It means that we will set up a small fort and bring in a garrison to watch over the area. We'll also take anypony wanting to take up arms against this monster to form their own division of the guard.." Fury smirked. "Don't you worry, Princess, we're going to destroy that Spirit and you'll be back in your empire before you know it."

Cadance gave a half-hearted chuckled. "Right... my empire."

"Raven, give Shining Armor the lists." Fury commanded and watched her do so. "Shining Armor, you've spent more time among the ponies here than I have. Are there any ponies you would recommend we talk to for becoming a guard?"

Shining had been staring at his wife whose mood tanked after hearing about them leaving Ponyville. He sat until Captain Fury said his name louder and with more authority.

"Shining Armor."

"Huh?" Shining shook his head and rubbed his eyes. "Sorry, repeat what you said."

"Like I said, you've spent more time among the ponies here than I have. Are they any ponies you would recommend we talk to for becoming a guard?" Fury said once more, but slower and more loudly.

Shining didn't miss Fury's tone. Engaging Fury in a battle of temper was futile, so he let it go. "I have a few ponies in mind that would do well as officers."

"Excellent, names?" Fury asked.

"Yes, I would like to know as well." Princess Celestia turned to Shining Armor, a thoughtful expression on her face. "The ponies of Ponyville have always been peaceful, who do you believe could lead the guard?"

"Lead, no one. I only have candidates for officers, Princess." Shining Armor flipped through his notepad. "Star Hunter, Doseydotes, and Thorn receive and relay orders really well, Bulk Biceps is huge and would be a valuable guard, and Crafty Crate as a possible quartermaster."

Rainbow Dash watched as Shining flipped his booklet shut. "Hey, why aren't I in there?"

Fury answered for Shining. "You're an Element. We can't afford to lose you in a possible skirmish."

"What about Skyfall?" Applejack asked.

"What about him?" Shining tried to hide his scowl when Cadance perked at another stallion's name.

"He wasn't on yer list and he faced a bunch of Timberwolves twice since he's been here." Applejack offered to the mixed reception of the room. "Asking is at least worth a try."

"I have heard a lot from Twilight about this stallion." Celestia said calmly. "I was quite surprised when I received a return letter from him. The only other letters I receive that don't have an ulterior motive are from Twilight."

"What makes him a mystery?" Fury asked.

Applejack snorted loudly to cut anypony off. "Nothin', he just likes his privacy, that's all. It's just that some ponies can't seem to respect that."

"Do we have any information on him?" Fury asked further.

"I have some information from when I went to his house with the girls, while they were distracted, I scanned the place and investigated." Shining said.

"Shining Armor!" Cadance scolded. "How dare you invade his privacy like that. He invites you inside and you go through his stuff?"

"Yes." Shining Armor said calmly. "I needed to make sure he wasn't a threat. You seem to think too highly of him and might have been fooled by him trying to befriend-"

Cadance stood from her chair and smacked Shining Armor in the face before storming out of the room. Shining Armor rubbed his cheek and immediately bit his lip. "Why did I say that?"

Captain Fury sat back in his chair and rested his head on his hoof. "At any rate, what was the conclusion of your investigation?"

"He doesn't appear to be a threat." Shining Armor said, having snapped back into his professional persona. "He seems well traveled and has extensive knowledge about things that very few would."

Twilight's ears flickered at this. "What in specific did you find?"

Shining looked up to Princess Celestia who nodded in support. "He has antique books from other nations that discuss their history and culture. However, what is most concerning is his literature on Necromancy."

"Necromancy?" Twilight repeated as a few other ponies reeled at the news. "You mean like 'The Evil Mastermind Lowkey and his Legions of the Undead, issue number 42?"

Everypony deadpanned at Twilight, the room suddenly engulfed in silence.

"What? I read comic books too!"

Princess Celestia nodded. "Yes, that very same. Had it not been for Shining Armor's description of the book and the knowledge that Skyfall urged him to tell me, then I would have had to send a guard to investigate him for possible use of black magic."

"Description of the book?" Twilight didn't understand what her mentor meant.

"Yes, it happens that I know the book he is talking about and have a copy for myself in my personal library." Princess Celestia hummed. "I have spent many a night reading it and learning about the creatures of Equus and their creations. I have issue 4 of 10."

"10?" Twilight gaped. "There were only that many?"

"Yes, I received mine as a gift from a Wind Spirit named Gale." Princess Celestia said happily. "Next time I come to Ponyville, I would like to meet with Skyfall and possibly see his library."

"And drink his tea." Pinkie Pie shouted before gulping down the rest of her medicated tea. "The good tea, not the bad tea. The bad tea hurts my laugh box."

"Princess, it's time we leave." Raven said.

The pull of the sun called to Celestia. "And so it is."

All the visiting dignitaries and Officers stood and left the room as Celestia silently waved to dismiss them. Once alone Luna scooted over to her sister.

"Sister, I will stay the night here in Ponyville. I wish to have a, tell me the term again, Twilight Sparkle." Luna held out her hoof, pointing at her fellow Princess.

"Sleep over."

"A sleep over!" Luna repeated.

"Oh, we can have s'mores?" Pinkie cheered.

"Some more of what?" Luna asked.

"No Princess, just s'mores. Two graham crackers, a piece of chocolate, and a melted marshmallow." Applejack said before leaning over to rib Rarity. "Or we can just bring a big ol' stallion around and Rarity will melt, there's our marshmallow filling right there."

"Yes, and these things called 'some-mores'" Luna cheered.

"You're killin' me, smalls." Pinkie facepalmed.

Princess Celestia smiled. "If I weren't so busy, I would join you. Good night, and have fun everypony."

As soon as it was just Princess Luna and her sleepover buddies, she clapped her hooves. "Excellent, what is the first activity?"

"Marshmallows?" Pinkie asked.

"Gossip?" Rarity asked.

"Scary stories?" Fluttershy asked. "I'm getting better."

"It is gettin' late, we could get some food from the kitchen and talk." Applejack offered.

"That's what I just said." Rarity said haughtily.

"No, you said gossip and ah'm not one to talk smack behind another ponies back." Applejack said proudly.

Luna tapped her chin. "I am interested in hearing about how Ponyville has been doing. It is usually Nightmare Night when I come by, and never nearly the winter time like it is now."

"We can do that, nopony in Ponyville is really new except Skyfall and his siblings." Twilight said.

"There's Gilda." Applejack muttered.

"AJ what's your problem with Gilda?" Rainbow asked.

"Nothing, she's just hangin' on my brother like a piece of unripened fruit." Applejack huffed. "Every time she comes to here she is always around."

"They might be dating." Rarity mused to Applejack's dread.

"Big Macintosh is dating?" Luna asked cheerfully. "Any mare would be glad to receive such a handsome stallion. He can be quite the intellectual once you get him to open up."

"He better not be dating." Applejack seethed and thought about what Luna had said. "What? Wait a minute. How do you know my brother?"

"So, where are these s'mores?" Luna's expression faltered at the stares and silence that quietly begged her to explain how she knew Applejack's brother.

Author's Note:

Order up; one chapter, extra hot sauce, hold the honey.

If ya liked it, consider commenting/liking. We love ya :heart:

Mkay back to my shed to write more.

PreviousChapters Next