• Published 6th Dec 2015
  • 4,146 Views, 142 Comments

Changeling Doll: White Lie - PiercingSight



White Lie has good intentions. He just hopes he can get them them see that. [Official Changeling Doll Canon]

  • ...
6
 142
 4,146

Into the flames

The glittering crystal halls echoed with the distinct sound of hooves clopping.

White Lie walked purposefully down the hall leading to the throne room. This was the moment on which the whole operation hinged.

Disguised as a unicorn named Stately Writ, he spent months searching for an opening. Something that would allow him to get close enough to gain the trust of the royal couple. He finally found one in the passing of their aged assistant, and at this very moment was heading to the throne room to give his weekly report of the empire's economic pursuits, and put into motion the events that would either save himself and his kin, or destroy them.

Princess Mi Amore Cadenza was the one pony in all of Equestria whose trust was absolutely essential in order to ensure that the mission would go well. After the incident in Canterlot a few years ago, they knew that very little could convince the princess that changelings could be anything but enemies of the equestrian race. Now, with the other princesses making progress, she was the only pony standing between them and a hope of a future.

”Cloak, before I go in, is there anything else from the others to report?”

”No, Prince. So far as we have gathered, Poker and Quick are in place and it appears that things are going well so far.”

”What of Quick and the Light Princesses?”

”She hasn’t reported any troubles, and we can still detect her connection to the hive mind.”

White Lie inhaled. He knew that Quick was a skilled infiltrator, however, she was a wild card, and he worried that at any moment, her connection would simply disappear, and everything would be lost. That she would be lost…

Trying to keep himself on task, he shook the perturbing thought out of his head. They were too far into this now to worry about what the outcome would be. They had planned for months, making sure everything was in place, and now the chips would fall where they would, and they would have to live with the result.

”Thank you, Cloak.”

”Good luck, your highness. If anything happens, it has been an honor.”

White was now approaching the throne room doors, two guards standing outside keeping watch, showing no reaction to the disguised changeling.

”Cloak?”

”Yes sir?”

”I will report as soon as I can. If you don’t hear from me within a week, then extract the others, and continue on with the secondary plan. Understood?”

Silence.

”Cloak?”

”Y-yes sir. Understood.”

”Always face forward, Cloak.”

”Always sir.”

”We will speak later.”

He closed the connection before the goodbyes could continue. If there was a moment for them, it was now, but time was not on their side.

He now stood at the large crystal doors outside the throne room. One of the guards coughed.

“So uh, State. You forget how to the open the door?” He smirked.

Damascus Steel, the guard whose understanding of humor was wide and whose stomach for strong drink could empty the royal wine cellar in one night, had been a good friend to him for the last few weeks as he struggled to adapt to the royal environment.

Whenever there were moments that the task of being the royal assistant became heavy or tedious, Damascus was always there to help him relax. Whether it was a simple joke, or a night on the town, he always knew what would help loosen Stately's nerves.

White Lie, that is Stately Writ, threw a smile in his direction. "Oh, no. I'm just waiting for you to open it for me."

Damascus chuckled. "Oh, but of course, your highness." He pushed the door open and made a short mock bow. "Should I announce you as well?"

"I don't think that will be necessary. Thank you."

"As you wish, m'lord," Damascus said with a wink. State chuckled.

As the door closed behind Stately Writ, he found his smirk falling into a stern frown. He knew what was coming, at least in part. He'd evaluated the personalities of the princess and the captain enough to know that even if he played his cards the best he could conceive, it was unlikely he'd make it through this unscathed.

Walking up to the crystal throne, Stately could see that princess Cadence was absorbed in a stack of paperwork while Captain Armor was tracing paths across a map of the Crystal city. Despite this, both of them were sitting against each other in an intimate fashion, Cadence's dainty form on the captain's built physique.

They were adorable together. Even with the couple focused on things other than one another, White Lie could feel the love oozing from the couple. It was very refreshing.

It was too bad that it wouldn't last very long.

"Oh, State!" Princess Cadence had heard his hoofsteps and looked up from her papers. "I apologize, I got so caught up in other things that I had forgotten that we were having our review today. I don't have the forms that the commissioner had requested, right now, but I will get them to you as soon as possible."

"It is okay your highness." Stately smiled and bowed as he arrived at the foot of the throne.

Captain Armor glanced up from the map. "Ah, one moment, State. I am just finishing up a few details on the property divisions. Feel free to speak with my wife while I work on it." And with that, he was back to work.

State had planned for this. They were always doing last minute touches on something as the meetings went on, and so he would simply continue with the standard report until they had finished.

"Yes." Cadence stole a loving glance at her husband before turning to Stately Writ. "So, what is the report for today."

State stood at attention, and went down the list in his mind. "The trading agreement between the Crystal Empire's merchantry and Appleloosa is in its final stages. CU has finished preparations for their summer courses to start and have returned the remaining funds after saving a small safety net. And the library is asking for assistance regarding a crystal culture marketing plan."

Cadence raised an eyebrow. "A crystal culture marketing plan?"

"Yes. They feel that after all this time under the rule of Sombra, they should have some sort of program that promotes the reinstatement of, or at least the education regarding, the Crystal Empire's old cultural tendencies, pre-sombra, to assist the city in returning to its former pace and feel."

"Oh... And what sort of assistance are they asking for?"

"So far as they have informed me, what I've told you is the only thing they have established so far. They have no idea how to go about beginning such a program."

Cadence smiled and nodded. "That shouldn't be too difficult. Ask them about available times to meet regarding the topic, and we'll let them know what works best."

"Of course, your highne-..."

"Aaaaaand done!" Captain Armor had set his quill to the side and was now rolling up the map. "Here you are State. Make sure to remind them that this is only still a draft and a few details still need to be discussed before it can be finalized." The map was now floating in front of Stately Writ.

He didn't move to grab it.

He stared at the scroll knowing that he couldn't take it. There'd be no point. Even if things went well with them, it was unlikely that he would be the one delivering that map to where it needed to go. And there was no way he'd be able to deny taking it without them asking why. Now was indeed the time. But he didn't expect it to feel so... sudden. It was like trying to jump into a cold lake.

And so, with a deep breath, he put away his fear, and began his run up to the edge of the water.

"Princess. Captain. I'm afraid there is something else I must discuss with you."

The two rulers of the Crystal Empire were confused at Stately's sudden solemness, and looked at each other before the princess spoke. "What is it? Is everything okay?"

He lowered his head. Now was the time to jump.

"I'm... not exactly the pony you think I am, and I'm afraid I need to be fully honest with you now."

Shining took on a concerned expression, and slowly moved into a protective stance in front of his wife. "State?"

Midair. And now for the splash.

"I'm a changeling."

Silence.

Both the princess and captain stood there with blank expressions. Stately Writ began slowly bowing his head as the tension in the room built up. All he could do now was await their judgement.

"Pfffft! Hahahahaha!"

Stately looked up to see the captain laughing, and Cadence stifling her laughter.

"What?"

Shining Armor was wiping a non-existent tear from his eye as he continued to chuckle. "Ahahaha, that's... that's a good one."

"This is not how it was supposed to go..."

"...dangit..."

Green flame consumed his body, tearing away fur and hair to reveal a black carapace beneath.

Suddenly, there was a flash accompanied by a deafening crack. White Lie threw his hooves in front of him and closed his eyes.

"That's it... they've killed me... I've failed..."




Darkness.