• Published 19th Jan 2015
  • 23,130 Views, 2,673 Comments

Split Second - wille179



Twilight Sparkle broke time when she got her cutie mark. Now there's two of her with two different talents.

  • ...
78
 2,673
 23,130

PreviousChapters Next
Interlude - Class Scheduling

They were nervous, incredibly so. Rumors said that this one week workshop was the hardest class taught at Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. It was one that every guard, regardless of tribe, took at some point in their career, and only guards could take it. Some said some ponies had quit being Royal Guards because of this class; still others said there had been dozens of suicides linked to the class. But nopony would say just what the class was, other than its name.

Defense Against the Dark Arts, by Sparkle and Thorn.

There was paperwork involved, and lots of it. More than two dozen forms and fifty signatures were required to get in, and some of the wording was fairly ominous sounding.

Yet when they got to the class, they saw not a dungeon of pain and torture, nor an overly sterile operating theater-like room, but a brightly lit room filled with sun flowers and motivational posters. And the teacher, instead of being some old crone or a horribly scarred warrior, was a beautiful young mare in an orange sundress.

When the first period bell rang, she stood from her seat behind the desk and addressed the hundred plus stallions and mares in the audience. "Hello everypony! I'm Ms. Sparkle, and I'll be your Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher this week." Her voice was chipper and crisp, clearly heard across the room. "Now, before we begin, I have a few housekeeping duties, and a few announcements to give you before we can officially start."

"First, roll call. I want everypony in this room standing, and if I call your name, sit down. We can sort out those left standing when I'm done. I'm going to go fast, so just sit if you hear your name. Anvil, Arrow, Brick Breaker, ..."

...

"...Shining Armor. I didn't know you were in here. Hm... Anyway, Shining Shield, ..."

...

"... and Xylophone. I see we still have some standing. If I didn't call your name, you didn't turn in the appropriate forms. Bring them down to me if you have them, else just come down here and wait by the podium," she concluded.

When the shuffling had subsided, three ponies were left remaining by her podium, one of which was wearing a staff badge. "Ms. Sparkle, I am here representing the university to inspect the proceedings of this class," the stallion proclaimed.

"Do you have the forms the rest of the class submitted?"

"No. University Staff are allowed to attend any class without being students," the stallion spoke in his arrogant voice.

"Fine. You three," Sparkle said to the three undocumented ponies, "I'll deal with you in a moment." She turned to the rest of the audience. "Welcome everypony. Some quick announcements. Firstly, I have recently acquired some new, rare texts, so I now know more ways to prepare you. I want you to live long and happy lives; this will help with that. Secondly, this is a pass-fail course. Making it to the end counts as a pass, failing at any time will see you removed from this class. To those who fail, there will be one remedial session this Saturday for a chance to pass; it will be much harder than this class. Thirdly, and this is most definitely, absolutely, positively unrelated to this class, but the things I like are: cash, ponies buying groceries for me, dinner dates, and a good word to my superiors that I deserve a raise. Any questions?"

"Yeah," a unicorn stallion in the front asked, "are you going to be teaching us light magic?"

"How about this," Sparkle returned. "Why don't you come down and help me demonstrate the first lesson? Hm? It will even count as extra credit., Mr. ...?"

"Sharp Sword, ma'am. Sure, I'm game." He stood up and trotted down next to Sparkle. "So...?"

"Stand right here and face the audience." He did so. Suddenly, and without warning, Sparkle whirled around and kissed him full on the lips. He stiffened up in surprise. "You're dead. You fail."

She turned back to the class, which was gaping in surprise. "Now, can anypony tell me what Mr. Sword did wrong?"

When silence greeted her, her smile faded. "No?" She pointed back to Sharp Sword, who had yet to move, with the exception of a trickle of blood oozing out his mouth. "Sharp Sword got close enough for me to touch him." The aforementioned stallion collapsed like a marionette with cut strings. "He assumed that light magic is the defence I'm teaching. That is a different class."

"You three, you entered this room without the proper paperwork. I know for a fact that all the ponies who are supposed to be here got those packets and read the information within; you three did not." The three ponies to her side gulped at her dark tone. "You entered a dangerous situation without the necessary information. You're dead." A beam of dark magic struck the first, leaving naught but an ash cloud. "You're dead." The second fell like the first.

"No! Please! Don't kill me!"

"You're worse than dead." Bizap. She turned to the class. "That didn't hurt them at all."

Another dark beam shot out from her horn, striking the fallen Sharp Sword, who suddenly found himself able to move again. "You are dismissed, Sharp Sword."

Addressing the class, she spoke, "Nopony died. Those spells, disguised as something far worse, very well could have been exactly what you saw. Or not. Your senses could be ensnared to see any number of horrific scenes, or," – the image around Sparkle seemed to shatter like glass, falling away to reveal a skinny mare with demonic eyes and a twisted horn – "a pleasant one, as the case may be."

Like her, the room seemed to shatter, revealing bloodstained walls, corpses hanging from the ceiling, and that a third of the class wasn't actually alive. The whole room was full of the stench of rot, hidden until that moment. Some ponies shit themselves, others vomited, and most screamed.

Then the air shattered again, and the room was once more an ordinary lecture hall. The specters that had posed as students evaporated into thin air. "I know for a fact that there is at least one illusionist in this room; you should have spoken up. If something seems wrong, it is and you should say so," Sparkle scolded the room. "You have one hour to clean yourselves up. Be back here before time is up, or don't come back at all. I don't care. Dismissed."


"That was horrible," Shining told his sister.

"No, it was pragmatic. Maybe I can get most of them to quit."

He sighed. "Sparks, you're supposed to be teaching us to defend ourselves, not scaring us to death."

"Being scared to death is a valid way to kill; I know three spells that do just that. But the best way to survive is to not be there in the first place. Nopony who doesn't pass this will be on a dark mage task force, you know that. And nopony who does pass this class will be cocky enough to do something stupid out there. I've seen the statistics; we've lost less ponies per incident to dark magic under my teaching than under anypony else. Ever."

"I know," Shining relented.

Sparkle chuckled. "Go get cleaned up, Shiny. What would Cadance think if she saw you with vomit all over you?"

"Hey! It's not my fault he barfed all over me!"

"You mean when you barfed all over you. I was watching." She chuckled again and left him sputtering in angry embarrassment.


"I'm glad you are all back. Now that I have your undivided attention, I can finally get down to business. During morning lecture, I am going to try and break your minds. During your afternoon practicals, Thorn is going to try and break your bodies. By the way, he's an undead dragon." Gasps sounded, echoing throughout the room. "Passing here is living, failure is death. In here, it's you versus us, just like in military squads. There is no such thing as cheating in here if it keeps you alive.

"At the beginning of class, I gave out a list of things I like. You may bribe me with those things, as there is a very real chance of bargaining with dark mages being successful in reality. Further, they are generally prideful and arrogant by the time they get dangerous, so use whatever you have to buy time.

"The best chance of you living to fight another day is knowledge and a heaping helping of humble pie. There are no fancy tricks, no 'unbeatable' spells. And there is NOTHING honorable about what I am going to teach you.

"So, any ideas of heroics must die here. Doctors are heros; you are soldiers.

"Now, who here can tell me the single most dangerous spell in the unicorn arsenal?"

A hoof went up. "If you were going to say a fireball, you fail," Sparkle called out. The hoof went down. "I thought so."

"No, the correct answer is telekinesis. Both alone and as a fundamental to more advanced magic, telekinesis is extremely dangerous because it is so versatile. From turning anything in the environment into a weapon, defending the user, or outright manipulating the opponent's body to potentially lethal extremes, TK is the unicorn fighter's bread and butter. Scratch that; outside of a few utility spells, TK should be all you use. I fear not the pony with a thousand spells practiced once each, but one spell practiced a thousand times.

"As for your opponents, there is no way to predict how they will attack you, or even if they will attack you in a way that makes logical sense. I aim to expand your mind to the possibilities, and when I'm done with you, you might just survive.

"Now, before I forget, this class is a level three secret; discussion of the events that happened within these walls is strictly forbidden, punishable by five months in jail. Furthermore, the magic I will be using for you and in some cases on you is highly restricted. I am a licensed, natural dark mage.” Shrieks of fright punctuated her statement. “I know what I’m doing and I can do it without shredding my mind to pieces. You, however, cannot.

“Do not copy me.”


The students that walked out of that hall at lunch time had no appetite. All were sick to their stomachs, and frequent dry heaves were a common sight among them. A fifth fewer in number than when they started, each and every one of them had a haunted look to their eyes.

When asked what was wrong, Arrow, a pegasus archer, would reply, “Unicorns are bucking scary.” He would say no more on the subject, although he would jump and scream at the slightest provocation.

Overall, the mood was quite somber. Sparkle had gotten under their skin, and they knew it. Crowds parted around the mare in the orange sundress, and those who knew what lay underneath would move that much faster.

Funnily enough, Sparkle quite enjoyed that aspect of her rather fearsome reputation. Considering her snout was buried in a book, it let her walk and read without fear of bumping into another pony.

A healthy, beautiful mare of similar age to most of the students, with an adorkable book walk, and that wasn’t visibly bothered by the unusually depressing atmosphere happened to be quite attractive to the general student body. Especially if the majority of that student body didn’t connect the mare in the orange sundress with Canterlot’s resident necromancer.

It was their mistake. Sparkle found it funny, regardless.


Hoofball captain Long Shot didn’t know why ponies seemed to swerve out of their way to avoid her. She was gorgeous! Maybe she was parting the crowds with her innocent beauty? Of course, that was it.

Navigating through the unusually crowded dining hall, he sat down opposite from her chosen seat. “Hello. Name’s Long Shot. I haven’t seen you here before. Are you a transfer, Ms. ...?”

“Mmm...” She looked up from her book. “Did you say something? I was a bit distracted by this really good book about... you wouldn’t care. Nevermind.”

“I said I’m Long Shot,” he reintroduced himself. “Try me. I might be a jock, but I got in on brains.”

“And I’m dodging your question. Sparkle.” She held out her hoof in greeting.

“Charmed. So, what’s your major? I’m a theoretical thaumatician studying spin-theory under Professor Hex.”

“Don’t have one,” she replied.

“Undecided? That’s cool,” he replied. “Might I suggest theoretical thaumaturgy? I might be a bit biased, but I’d think a pretty mare like you would be good at it.”

“Meh,” Sparkle replied noncommittally. “That’s not my cup of tea. I’m more of a practical girl myself. Thank you for the compliment. I should wear this more often.” She suddenly looked around, making excessive movements in a - successful - effort to make Long Shot look around too. “You’re quite brave,” she commented when her eyes finally reconnected with his, “sitting here with me.”

“What?” Suddenly, the little details that he hadn’t consciously noticed came to the forefront of his mind. His head whipped around, sending his long, blond mane flying. “What the buck. Why are they all staring at us?”

“Because,” she whispered, leaning in close to his face, “they know.

“Know what?” he asked nervously, suddenly feeling quite paranoid.

They know where the monster is.” Despite being barely a whisper, something so quiet he shouldn't have been able to hear it, the words reverberated down to Long’s core. He finally looked at her.

It wasn’t an illusion she wore, but an idea. She couldn’t make someone see something, but she could convince ponies that they were seeing what she wanted them to see. It depended on two factors: relative will of the caster and supporting magic. At the strength she had it set to now, it would only stop those who didn’t know and weren’t looking for the truth.

Her eyes, so close to his own, made him jump back in fright, but he’d only taken a single step away before a force lifted him up by the collar of his jersey. Lifted off his hooves, it turned him round until he was face-to-face with the most terrifying visage he had ever seen, and a predator’s at that.

Every instinct in his body told him to freeze, and only then did he notice how dead silent the dining room was. “You’re in my spot,” the raspy voice of the drake droned.

It was like ice in his veins. He would have said his life was flashing before his eyes, but the truth was there was nothing going through his head; it too was completely frozen in fright.

Suddenly, he was moving, though not of his own volition, but had been slid across the floor until he painfully collided with the leg of another table.

“Thorn!” Sparkle yelled as the drake took the stallion’s seat across from her. “That was uncalled for; we are not in class.”

“Sorry.” He said loudly enough to be heard by the stallion who was standing up and dusting himself off. That was enough to break the tension in the room and get muted conversations started up again. “But, if I recall correctly, you were just messing with him, weren’t you, Ms. we’re-not-in-class-behave.”

She opened her mouth, closed it, and opened it again. “Yes, you’re right. But in my defense, I was following through with the act.”

“Oh? What was it this time?

She smirked. “Oh, you know, I just told them I’d eat the soul of anypony that talked with me during lunch.”

“A classic,” Thorn agreed. He picked up the steak off his tray. “Though, the soul-eating is more my thing. A juicy steak or plump emerald is just as good.”

“I know.”


"This, right here, is why we only teach trained guards," roared Thorn. Many were lying on the grass in various states of wellbeing. Some were bloody, some had broken bones or pulled joints, and every last one of them were broken in spirit. The field, formerly a hoofball practice field, looked more like a warzone than any athletic location.

And to top it off, neither Thorn or Sparkle looked out of breath. The keyword being looked, as they were running on empty magically speaking. It was through sheer force of will that Sparkle maintained the illusion of invincibility, and through sheer force of will that Thorn didn't follow his instincts and make a meal out of all the 'easy prey' before him.

"Maggots, those of you still here, you passed today's lesson. Tomorrow will be much, much easier. Show up, or you'll be with me in remedial, which is worse." The dragon, quintupled from his normal size, began to shrink rapidly and was normal in the time it took him to say, "Dismissed."

Sparkle trotted over to help her brother up. The first words out of his mouth were: "You are a horrible, evil, disgusting pony and I hope you rot in Tartarus."

"Shiny... I also accept bribes in the form of compliments and hugs."

His mood did a one-eighty. "You are the best damn little sister a colt could ask for. Your teaching skills are so phenominal that there is no doubt that even an idiot like me would pass this class. Ow."

"Much better. Now, let's stagger on home before we drop dead. Ok?"

"Yeah."

"And to think, there's only six more days of this to go."

"Rot in Tartarus, Sparkle."

"I love you too, Shiny."

PreviousChapters Next