• Published 19th Jan 2015
  • 23,143 Views, 2,673 Comments

Split Second - wille179



Twilight Sparkle broke time when she got her cutie mark. Now there's two of her with two different talents.

  • ...
78
 2,673
 23,143

PreviousChapters Next
Mares and Chaos, part 1 [History Overwritten]

The sign above her head listed the intersection as that of Cherry Street and North Avenue. That put Sparkle and Cobalt about ten blocks from the street that had been burned into her memory by that mysterious stallion’s card. Her home, however, was in the opposite direction, as were Thorn and Shining Armor.

The stallion standing beside Sparkle, lacking both the address and a reason as to why they were teleported, however vague, asked, “What just happened?”

“We’ve been teleported,” Sparkle stated.

“I get that,” he replied. “What I want to know is why.”

“I wouldn’t know,” the necromancer replied. “It doesn’t matter. What does matter is that my student just murdered four ponies in public, Red Fields, including his mother.

Red recoiled as if he had been slapped. “You... you know who I am?”

“Since you killed the chicken. You did it too easily and with too much skill for a normal pony, and you didn’t protest at all. And I never ordered you to do it, either,” Sparkle explained. “I had a spector tail you; I saw you get the orders to kill me.”

“I didn’t have much choice... Please don’t kill me, Ms. Sparkle.” He dropped into a deep bow, his face firmly planted on the ground. “I never wanted to do it! If I didn’t kill that mare, she would have made me kill you!”

“Relax, Red, I’m pissed, but not at you.” A hoof rubbed through her mane and she sighed. “I’ve known about the assassination plot for a while now, long before you got involved. And I know those stallions were the ones to hire your family to do the job. Obviously, you solved that problem for me.”

“So... does this mean that I still get to be your student?” He asked hopefully.

“On a few conditions,” the unicorn replied. “First, your next geas will include a loyalty clause to assure that nothing like this ever happens again. Second, you will learn the proper way of killing somepony with magic for your future assignments; what you showed in there was sloppy at best and idiotic at worst.”

“Um,” he interrupted, face still on the ground, “I’m not exactly employed anymore.”

“I know,” she acknowledged. “Third, you will work as my assistant. I’ll pay enough for you to keep a roof over your head and your belly full, but you should learn to live frugally. You will get more if you earn more. And finally, you will answer this: what do you want me to call you?”

“What?”

“I’ve done some digging; you’ve painted yourself every color of the rainbow and had a name to match. Who do you want to be with me?”

He replied, “I would like to be Cobalt, still. I’m done with Red Fields.”

“Then stand up, Cobalt. I-” She stopped. Cobalt looked up to see a colony of rabbits floating by their heads. “What?”

One of the rabbits stopped moving and opened its mouth wide. From it, a fish swam out, despite the fact that it was clearly air that it was swimming through, as well as all the other impossibilities. The fish then pulled out a sign from nowhere and held it up with one of its fins. The arrow on the sign pointed east.

“Am I seeing things?” Cobalt asked, quite worried and confused.

“If you’re seeing a fish that just came from a floating rabbit, then I’m seeing the same thing,” she replied.

“Ah, ok. Just checking.”

Sparkle looked around and was quite dismayed to see that reality and logic seemed to be out on lunch. Buildings floated, colors randomly changed, the night suddenly turned to day (blinding them) before going back to night a few seconds later pink clouds filled the off-color sky, and the scent of chocolate filled the air.

Sparkle darkened her horn to cast a true sight spell, but then stopped quite suddenly. “That’s odd,” she said.

“Miss, your nose is bleeding!” Cobalt suddenly exclaimed.

Sparkle raised a hoof to her snout, and then pulled the now blood-covered limb away. “So I am.” She frowned. “That’s worrying.”

“What is?”

Sparkle answered, though her voice was distorted as she was magically pinching her nose to stop the blood. “The true sight spell has a defense mechanism in place; if you see something that hurts you to look at, you won’t be able to end the spell correctly. The little bit of time magic involved wouldn’t complete the spell when you cast it, so the spell defaults to uncastable. Whatever I would have seen would have been that bad to look at.”

“We should run, then?” Cobalt asked, his muscles already tense and ready.

“Running is good.” They turned and galloped away as fast as they could, tearing past a gray pony standing on the sidewalk.


The fish, meanwhile, rolled its red-on-yellow eyes. “Silly mare,” it muttered, “you're going the wrong way.” The chaotic guppy disappeared in a flash of light.


"No, that’s not possible!” Sparkle exclaimed after rounding a corner and yet again ending up on a street that wasn’t supposed to exist there. “Where the buck are we now?”

“Language, Miss,” Cobalt said, a habit he picked up from Sparkle and Thorn. “And it looks like we’re on Saddle Way. If it doesn't move, Hayseed Avenue should be up a few blocks that way; we can use that to get closer to the guard barracks.”

Sparkle looked back over her shoulder. Sure enough, just like all the streets before then, the road mysteriously dead ended less than a pony’s length behind them. With still no other option but to move forwards, Sparkle agreed. “Good thinking. If we do manage to get on to Hayseed, there’s a place I want to see first.”

Cobalt asked, “What is it?”

“Dr. Ocsid’s Books. Wait...” The puzzle clicked into place. “Dr. Ocsid, Discord. Shit.”

Bravo! She figured it out!” a new voice called out, familiar to Sparkle alone. “I wondered when you would get it.” The draconequus materialized before them, his serpentine body wiggling and twisting about through the air.

“What is the meaning of this? Why are you doing this, Discord?” Sparkle cried out.

Hellloooo, Spirit of Chaos, anypony? It’s what I do,” Discord explained. He appeared behind Sparkle. “I’ve been trapped in stone for a thousand years, aware of every last boring second. Your little antics gave me the strength to break out early. For that, I thank you.” He bowed excessively, curling up his body several times in a tight spiral.

Sparkle wanted to reply what was on her mind, but held her tongue. Everything she knew about beings as powerful as Discord told her that she was only safe as long as he was having fun; if he got bored, or heaven forbid, angry, she would be broken in seconds. Instead, she said, “You’re welcome. I look forward to seeing your gift.”

Now brandishing a giant foam finger with the words “Sparkle is Best Pony” adorning it, Discord said, “That’s the spirit. You’re not like those silly little element bearers, are you? Well ta-ta! There’s chaos to wreak.” The spirit vanished quite suddenly in a flash of light.

“You met him before?” Cobalt asked.

“He was a pony at the Gala,” Sparkle said, already trotting off. “Come on. Let’s go find whatever this thing is before he gets bored with us and decides to start scrambling our brains.”

“Would he really do that?” Cobalt asked. “He seemed nice enough.”

“Flip a coin, then you’ll know. Logic and reasoning go out the window with him, or so I’ve heard. The only thing he answers to is chance.”

Cobalt hummed thoughtfully, and then picked up his own pace to catch up with his teacher. Floating behind them at the same time, invisible but in no way gone, the clone of Discord silently snapped his fingers and conjured a note to a certain individual, visible only to the same, and magically stuck it to the top of Sparkle’s head. A second later, the clone Discord properly departed.


Hayseed Avenue appeared relatively where it was supposed to be, although the road they had just came from left them a dozen blocks further south than it should have. It put them, quite conveniently, within the 300’s block. From where they stood, there across the street they could clearly see a bookstore labeled “Dr. Ocsid’s Books (For all occasions).” As they crossed the street and entered the store, the sign slowly faded away, replaced by the business’s original title, “Dusty Books’ Rare Tomes.

Adorned with an open sign despite the late hour, the door opened with the jingle of a bell. Sparkle and Cobalt entered the place of business, and were swiftly bombarded with the scent of dusty books, just as the real sign proclaimed. Piles and piles of books crowded the floor, leaving only a narrow path to walk through. The absolute normalcy of the place was both striking and reassuring, considering the nonsense just outside.

“Hello?” a stallion called from the back. “Are you customers?”

“Maybe?” Sparkle answered hesitantly. “We were given this address by somepony we just met.”

“New customers then! Come on back, and mind the stacks.”

Shrugging, Cobalt went first through the narrow path between the ceiling-high piles, followed closely by Sparkle. One stack in particular caught her eye, with titles like Military Grade Weapons Enchanting and Principles of Advanced Runic Design. It struck her that some of the books here might be of a dubious nature, and her intuition suggested that if these were the type books kept out front, the ones he had in the back would be far more dangerous.

When they finally had navigated the paper maze, she and Cobalt came upon a unicorn stallion with his nose buried in one of his own books. “Hello there. Dusty Books, the eighth, at your service. Need a rare book? Look no further than my humble shop. If I don’t have it, I probably know somepony who does. Now, how can I help you?” he said, all the while never looking up from his book, and, if the motion of his eyes were any indication, without even halting his reading.

“I saw a book on enchanting, so I’m going to guess that you have a lot of magic books, right?” the orange-painted mare inquired of the reading shopkeeper.

“That I do,” He said, still reading.

“Well, I’ve been looking for a pair of books to complete a very interesting series I’ve been reading. Books six and seven, to be precise.”

“I’ve got many interesting books, many of which are sixes and sevens. You’re going to have to be a bit more specific.”

“They’re written by horn, have pages of genuine parchment, and bound in leather. Over a thousand years old, but in remarkably good shape.”

The book Dusty was reading snapped shut. He sighed. "You’re one of those customers, aren't you?” He sighed, obviously quite exasperated. “Look, I don’t deal with those kind of books. You won’t find a shop in Canterlot that does. I've never seen a book like that. Now, buy a normal book or get out of my shop.”

“The text moves according to the whims of the demon that lives within the blood-soaked pages.”

The stallion’s fur visibly stood on end. He gulped. “I have no idea what you are talking about. You should leave.”

Sparkle turned, but did not head for the exit. Instead, she trotted to the door to the back room, acting on the instinctive urge that had been growing over the last few minutes. “Not yet. I have to look.”

With surprising agility, the stallion lept up and over the counter, narrowly avoiding knocking over a stack of books, and assumed a threatening stance between Sparkle and the back door. Over his head, he brandished the book he had been reading as if it were a blunt weapon. “I can’t let you go back there.”

“Try and stop me,” Sparkle declared, answering the challenge. Her horn was already darkening as she spoke.
She stepped forwards and slipped past him, even as Dusty swatted in vain at the time-delayed image of her. There, on the pedestal that stood alone in the center of the room, was the sixth Dread Necroptica, Pain.

Hello, Mistress Sparkle,’ the text on the cover spelled out as she picked it up, courtesy of the demon within. ‘I knew you would find me eventually.

“How much?” Sparkle asked.

It’s not for sale,” Dusty Books growled at her. “Put it back and LEAVE.

“Money is no object,” Sparkle replied, ignoring his command. “How. Much?” she asked forcefully.

“And I told you, it’s not for sale. Now get. Out. Of. My. Shop!”

Sparkle tsked with her tongue. “Mr. Books, I assure you, one way or another, I will be leaving with this book. Now, you can sell me this book at any price of your choosing, or -” and here the inner structure of Sparkle’s neck disintegrated into black smoke, allowing her to rotate her head far more than should have been anatomically possible, “- I will take it by anything up to and including lethal force.” She smiled a smile that promised nothing pleasant and flared her grating, sinister magical presence. A potted plant nearby withered and died. “I assure you, Dusty Books, that I can make you suffer for as long as I like.”

“Maker damn it,” he swore. “I need that book. If I don’t give it to her, she’ll kill my family!”

“Who?” Sparkle demanded, turning to face him completely.

“...” Dusty only answered with silence, though he tried to stab her with his pointed glare.

Pushing her dark magical core further outwards, she increased the pressure on the room and on the other ponies souls (Cobalt, unfortunately, being caught in the indirect crossfire). Dusty, being weaker in constitution and more sensitive to the foul energies than Cobalt, went weak in the knees and collapsed on the ground. “Who?” Sparkle demanded again.

Again, Dusty answered with silence, which made Sparkle question if his silence was entirely of his own choice. However, somepony else willing to kill to get that vile book was bad news indeed. Thus, the necromancer felt justified in what she was about to do.

Her horn darkened. A second later, she was seeing herself through his eyes. As delicately as she could, she turned inwards and started traversing the web of associations that made up his mind, looking for the withheld name. She found the name - Sweet Dreams - and the associated face easily enough, as well as the reason for his silence. Swiftly, she broke the psychic block in Dusty’s mind and returned to her own head only two seconds after she had started.

“What?” Dusty exclaimed as he felt the block fade away.

“Vampires can really mess with your head,” Sparkle explained. “Here.” Her horn darkened once more, wrapping the bookseller in a similarly black aura.

When the spell faded, Dusty was once more standing and very cross. “What did you just do to me?”

“Protection. Your blood is now the foulest of poisons and will burn any that taste it to ash. Touch those you call family to protect them as well.” Sparkle smiled, this time more warmly. “Now, how much for the book?”

“Thank you, but it’s not for sale.”

The still orange-painted necromancer rolled her eyes. “Too bad,” she said as her body dissolved completely into smoke, taking the Dread Necroptica with it. A tendril of smoke shot out and ensared the silently observing Cobalt and dissolved him as well.

The formless pair shot backward, heading to the front of the store. Cobalt rematerialized with Sparkle at the front door. “Are you sure?” Sparkle called back, giving him one more chance to sell it to her.

“No! Wait! Please!” the stallion cried from the back room. “Don't take that book!”

There was a thump, and then the sound of thousands of pages falling together accompanied by a loud thud and an “Oof.” Then, there was a still silence.

It stretched on.

“Hey, Sparkle, shouldn’t Dusty be here by now?” Cobalt asked.

“Buck.” Again moving swiftly as black smoke, Sparkle and Cobalt worked their way back into the stack maze. What they found...

Dusty was lying face-down, buried under his own books. But worse was the pony-like figure standing atop the spilled pile and pony within, visibly holding the soul that had been within Dusty’s body a second ago. Death.

“Put him back!” Sparkle yelled, though a tiny voice in the back of her head reminded her that this normal-looking mare that she was yelling at was Death herself.

I can’t do that,” she replied. “Dusty Books the eighth is already dead; his neck snapped when he tripped over his own books. Chasing you, I might add. Good one. Another for the tally, it seems.

“But his soul is right there!” Sparkle argued. “I can fix his body. Most of his brain tissue is still alive, too!”

And what would you give me for his soul?” Death asked.

“I-”

Yours? You were involved in killing him, as was Cobalt. No, that won’t do at all.”

“Wait! I’m sure there’s something-”

Time’s up.” Death tilted back her head and swallowed Dusty’s soul whole. She looked at Sparkle with a smug smirk, but it quickly faded as she looked at Sparkle’s distraught expression. The goddess sat down, uncaring that she was still atop the pony that she had just reaped. “That was mean of me. I’m sorry.

“Sorry? If you were sorry, you would have put his soul back!” Sparkle argued.

Sparkle, his soul was one of those that would have passed on to my realm in an instant had I not been here. There was nothing you could have done anyway; don't beat yourself up about it. Besides, I’m here to see you. Or, more specifically, to get this from you,” Death said. Her horn darkened, and the note from Discord that was attached to Sparkle’s mane came loose. Sparkle watched it float over with some confusion as to why it was there in the first place. “So that’s what Discord wanted. Fair enough.

Death folded the note and vanished it to who knows where. Her eyes gazed upon the book Sparkle held. “The Dread Necroptica. Do you mind if I speak with it for a moment?” the dark goddess inquired of the mortal mare.

She passed the book to her without a word. “Hello, Smarty Pants, how have you been? Sparkle treating you well?” The book’s pages rustled, almost in a laughing manner.

What.

Her childhood ragdoll had the same name as a demon inside a book.

What.

It wasn’t even a question, just a flat declaration of strangeness. Outside, reality was being torn apart at the seams by Discord, and here she was boggling over the fact that a demon and her currently specter-possessed toy shared the same name.

She really had to get her priorities straight.

Don’t worry about Discord. Beatrix and the other elements will get him straightened out soon enough,” Death said, as if reading her mind.

“That’s a relief,” Sparkle admitted. “Um, if you don’t mind me asking, what did you mean by ‘tally?’”

Death chuckled. “I can feel how many deaths of a sapient being were caused by any soul. It helps me find their place in the afterlife. I’m sure you’re curious about your tally? And you too, Cobalt?

They both nodded.

Cobalt, you hit seventy today, and Sparkle, you have two hundred and sixteen dead by your hooves.

Sparkle stepped back, bumping into a stack of books as she did so. “No way. You’re wrong. There’s no way I’ve killed that many ponies.”

Indirectly, yes. Sixty of them were the followers of Silver Tongue, who he drained of life to fight off your curse. Obviously, it didn’t work. Another twenty four died by events you set in motion, though you weren’t aware of the consequences of your actions and had no malicious intent,” Death explained, ending with a soft chuckle.

As she passed back the sixth Dread Necroptica, Sparkle asked two last questions. “You told me once that you were from the future, right? How many do we kill before we die?”

Death’s ever present chuckle grew into full-blown laughter, as if Sparkle had told the funniest joke. She laughed and laughed. She pounded her hoof onto the ground, not caring that there was a dead body between the two. She snorted and guffawed and splattered the two mortals with blood. When she finally calmed down, Death said, “Ahh, let me put it this way. The Dread Necroptica can only be read by those it deems worthy, and you two, as well as Thorn, are probably its most worthy readers ever.

Her ear twitched, listening to something only she could hear. “Damn, time’s up. Sparkle, listen, read page fifteen and learn it soon. Like, now soon. You’ll need it within the next few hours. Until we meet again, Cobalt, Sparkle.

She vanished. There was no light, no smoke, and no sound. Death was there, and then she wasn’t.

Only then did the psychoactive magics that Death radiated clear from their minds. “OH, MAKER! WHAT THE BUCK WAS THAT?” Cobalt yelled. “TELL ME THAT WASN’T JUST THE BUCKING GRIM REAPER!

Author's Note:

[Part of the History Overwritten Update]

PreviousChapters Next