• Published 19th Jan 2015
  • 23,143 Views, 2,673 Comments

Split Second - wille179



Twilight Sparkle broke time when she got her cutie mark. Now there's two of her with two different talents.

  • ...
78
 2,673
 23,143

PreviousChapters Next
Dark Ages

The gray cloak floated gently out of her closet, followed swiftly by her apartment key from her nightstand. Had Sparkle thought of it, she would have set something else in motion. Alas, the mind of a distracted mare is not perfect, and is as prone to not thinking of an idea as the best of us. Had she thought of it, she would have been saved - at a bare minimum - months of trouble. At best, there might have been a few more ponies alive at the end of it, though she wouldn't ever be able to know for sure.

As the lock clicked shut on the now empty apartment, the only sound that could be heard was the ding of a typewriter resetting itself to the next line.


“Any reason as to why the big guy wants to see me?” Sparkle inquired of the two hired grunts sitting opposite her in the darkened interior of a carriage. Said carriage had the widows blocked and had been navigating lower Canterlot far longer than could be reasonably expected to get between any two points. From this, she probably figured that they didn’t want her to know exactly where she was going.

The two walls of hired muscle said nothing, giving no acknowledgement that her inquiry had even been heard. She tried again with a different question. “Is this about the money I owe him? I just sent him the most recent payment on my debts.”

There was still no response from the two stallions, although the heavily pierced one broke his distant gaze and looked her in the eye, and then looked away again. The silence was only broken by the rattle of the carriage’s wheels on the pavement. “Anything? Or are you two just going to keep staring out into space?”

For another twenty minutes, they continued riding through the streets. The carriage suddenly came to an abrupt stop, and before she knew it, a blindfold was being placed around her eyes by the studded unicorn.

As expected, a click sounded just above her head, accompanying a new weight on her horn and the distinct lack of magic flowing through it. Sparkle could already feel the headache building from the suppression ring’s effects.

The sound of the door opening graced Sparkle’s ears, as did a trickle of light from through the blindfold’s fabric. “Exit to your left,” the pegasus ordered.

She hopped out, her grey robes fluttering slightly as she did so. Had anypony been paying close attention, they would have noticed that the flow of her shadow, cast from the light of exterior lamps, didn’t match that of her robes, for precisely one of the reasons she wore the robes in the first place.

“Follow,” the pegasus ordered, marching in front of her as he spoke. His hoof falls struck harder than necessary, supplying the audio cues Sparkle needed to follow and not wander in circles.

They had gotten inside the building and had made a few turns, heading deeper into the structure. They passed other ponies as they went, and she could hear them shying away and hear their whispered comments. She ignored them; it was the same things over and over again, the same words everypony seemed to whisper when they thought she couldn’t hear them. She was led round a corner and stopped. A door pony approached from behind her.

The blindfold finally came off, and a door out of sight closed behind her. She found herself in an ornate office, obnoxiously decorated to show off just how rich the owner of this room was. The dozen or so portraits of the same plump pegasus pony similarly gave Sparkle the impression of his intolerable vanity.

The desk itself, cut from a rich wood and stained past Sparkle’s ability to identify the type, contained all the usual items you would expect on a desk, but crafted from materials that would drive a pony like Sparkle bankrupt if she tried to buy them herself.

The unusual feature of the desk was a bottle of wine sitting in a bucket of ice and two, not one, wine glasses. Was he expecting somepony else?

“Please, Ms. Sparkle, take a seat,” the pegasus behind the desk said, gesturing to the seat on her side of the furniture piece. She blinked, having not immediately recognised that there was another pony in the room. Deciding that she was more tired than she thought, Sparkle complied and sat. The seat was comfier than the chair she had at home.

The pegasus behind the desk was clearly the same stallion as in the paintings, plus about five decades in age. Despite his advanced age, his eyes held a predatory lust uncommon in ponies and nearly unheard of in the elderly. To the less observant, he might seem grandfatherly, but Sparkle knew better.

“Mr. Card Gambit? Why have you called me here?”

He chuckled to himself, though the smile on his face didn’t seem to quite reach his eyes. “Would you care for some wine? It’s a Griffonian vintage nearly as old as I am.”

“No, thank you. I find alcohol to be a bit troublesome,” Sparkle declined. Technically, she wasn’t even of age to drink yet. Shiny would have her flank if he found out.

“I insist.”

He poured her a glass and offered it to her. She took it in hoof and, because this was the leader of Canterlot’s major crime syndicate, lifted it to her lips. The alcoholic beverage touched her lips and the vapors tickled her nose, but none entered her mouth. “Delicious,” she said. The drink never went towards her lips for the rest of the night.

“I was curious,” Mr. Gambit stated. “Some years ago, I came across a book. It was an interesting little book, and recently, it made me think of you. At first, I read it as a hobby, a simple pleasure. The ideas within it grew on me, though. They grew quite quickly, taking root in my mind.”

“What book?” the bibliophile asked.

“I don’t know,” the crime lord replied honestly. “It had no title, and was bound in the strangest black material. I’ve never seen anything like it in Equestria.”

There was a moment of silence, before Sparkle realized he was waiting for her to speak up. “And what was the book about?”

“Death.” He took a sip. “It was on the magic of death. As a pegasus, I found myself missing much of the context the book spoke of, but it got me thinking.” He took another sip, then sighed. Seemingly changing the subject, he said, “Sparkle, I have a job for you.”

“I’m not terribly interested in anything you might want from me.”

“Oh,” he said, smirking, “I think you are.” He pushed a sheet of paper towards her.

She took one look at it and then looked back at him. “Let me repeat myself. I am terribly interested in whatever you might want from me, and am sitting on the edge of my seat with anticipation.” A number with that many zeros threw up some red flags in her mind, but then again, that was a lot of zeros on that bit amount.

“Good. As for your debts to me, they are as good as gone if you do this for me, and the bits you earn will be squeaky clean.”

“What can I do for you, then?”

The pegasus nodded. “I am old and dying, and this organization has no heir to the throne. I had kept it that way so no overenthusiastic heir of mine attempts to take before it is time. Yet, I find myself unable to pick a suitable candidate.”

“Fertility magic is not my specialty,” Sparkle commented.

Mr. Gambit cracked up. “Hoho, no my dear, you misunderstand. Sons and daughters I have aplenty. But I don’t want just any heir, I want to be my own heir. I want to be young again. I want to be fit and strong! I want to live! And there isn’t a single soul I would trust to run this company when I depart.”

Sparkle frowned. “To turn back the hands of time permanently is a nightmarishly difficult task. The body can be fixed and repaired only so much before time erodes it faster than it can be repaired, and what has already been lost to time cannot be restored. Replaced to a point, yes, but not restored.”

“I am aware. Again, that is not what I ask of you,” the pegasus stated. “No, I want to start over with a new body, and to be able to continue on without end.”

Sparkle’s frown deepened into a grim scowl. “‘A vessel of clay and stone can hold a soul without end, though it is fraught with peril,’” she quoted from one of her books. “But-”

“A body of flesh and blood can house a soul with ease. I know.” Card Gambit looked towards her intently.

“If you know that, then you must also know the cost of what you ask, and the cost of immortality. I doubt you are willing to pay that price,” Sparkle answered.

Her breath caught. She thought back to what she had just said. You, not we, you. When had she decided that? Was she really swayed by that much money? Was that the value of a pony in her mind?

“I have done my homework, Ms. Sparkle. I know exactly the cost, I know exactly what the ritual would entail, and I have a pony willing to pay the cost for me.”

Sparkle gulped. Guilt flooded her veins. She could be rich... She could have the pull needed to get Shiny that promotion she had cost him. Thorn could get the gems he wanted and she wouldn’t have to starve herself when money got tight; Shiny could eat well and keep up his strength. She could fund her research seriously, or she could hire sompony to apprentice her for her certification for an actual job. Hell, she could get her teaching and thaumaturgy certificates and pursue her childhood dream of being a full-time magic instructor. It was a step towards the freedom she so craved.

And all it would cost her was the murder of an innocent. A price she was somehow seriously considering.

She stood. “I-I-I need to go... I need time to think...”

“Take your time,” Gambit said in his sickly-sweet, almost-grandfatherly voice. “I’ll give you a week to make up your mind.”

PreviousChapters Next